(Topic ID: 307852)

Improving Sound Quality - The DIY Route

By davegauth

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3311120240422_225954 (resized).jpg
    222220240422_214549 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1701 (resized).jpeg
    504783-a257170fca2168983d2a6e1bbfec3f44 (resized).jpg
    received_6742998335800442 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    320-3350_HR_0.default (resized).jpg
    607DEEC4-36DB-45AA-8B61-018875778767 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    slika-1109725-631a4b9a8ef1e-velika-3077129719 (resized).jpg
    5580B012-A4F2-4FA4-ADF1-E8801A418BC1 (resized).jpeg
    8CDE1FF8-62E4-40F4-85EF-E93F22435908 (resized).jpeg
    C5D15E76-AC5F-4258-BC0F-0ECB29263D5B (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20240222-214420_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    February 2024 DIY Super Kit (resized).jpg
    20240218_102558 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5 Simple front speaker swap instructions Posted by davegauth (2 years ago)

Post #41 Cabinet speaker replacement instructions/info Posted by davegauth (2 years ago)

Post #162 Kicker vs JBL speaker comparison Posted by davegauth (2 years ago)

Post #165 MBQuart vs Alpine speaker comparison Posted by davegauth (2 years ago)

Post #186 Kenwood vs Pyle speaker comparison Posted by davegauth (2 years ago)

Post #244 Stern amplifier and sound signal output INFO Posted by davegauth (2 years ago)

Post #269 5.25" speaker overall ranking to date Posted by davegauth (2 years ago)

Post #352 Speaker baffles info and summary Posted by davegauth (2 years ago)

Post #392 Adding an Amplifier (General) INFO Posted by davegauth (2 years ago)

Post #424 Thingverse file link for printing 5.25" speaker mount Posted by Sleal16 (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pin_fandango.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#604 2 years ago

Tagging for future reference.
    After reading 4 pages I confess, I dont understand any of the audiophile lingo.

Been wanting to uograde sound, thanks for doing all this work.

#615 2 years ago

I have been following the first and last pages of this thread, I am wondering if there has been a resolution as to what is the best combo to make it all work?

I like the idea of the AMP in the game, however, I really dislike the daughter board idea presented by the company mentioned before and this is why I did not buy their product. It just is terrible design and prone to issues, not to mention not good for my OCD.

Looking forward to adding some nice sound to my Spike II pins.

#625 2 years ago
    Quoted from SlapDrain:

I just picked up a deadpool pro this weekend and went with the kicker 5.25 cs series back box and jbl stage 810 for the cabinet combo. This is the third game I’ve done this to and ya I think it sounds incredible. From what I took from this thread an amp gets you the last 10% but simply dropping in those speakers and tuning the stock eq gets you 90% of the improvement to be had. I listen to my games at low to medium sound levels fwiw.

Thank you, ok. With this feedback now I think I will need to re read this thread in its entirety to see the whole picture. Now I am confused, but I never and will never listen to my pins full blast, just want really good sound, the highest I will ever go on a pin is 10-13 for volume with stock speakers, so then perhaps I do not need an amp?

I wish there was a sticky sections so information can be easily found on this thread, I am being perhaps a bit lazy, it is just that do not have the time to browse through 13 pages and when I do have time I only manage to get a few pages in, then I forget where the info was. I have started reading this thread 3 or 4 times and find the information to be difficult to find.
    Great work regardless, please do not take offence on this comment, it great efforts put into this thread, just pointing something out for future reference that is all.

#627 2 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

You should use the bookmark function to save posts you consider key. Bottom left of every post by every person on the forums.

thank you for that, had no idea of this feature.

1 week later
    #673 1 year ago

Every time I come back here there are more and more posts but now things are getting a bit more fuzzy.
    I have re-started reading this thread 3 times now, but I cant keep track any longer and really do not have the time to read 15 pages.

It would be nice if the op or someone with the power and knowledge to add key posts so we can just read the actual steps for cha ging the speakers and not the extra chatter.

I do appreciate the efforts, but I am sure I am not alone here. I really tried reading the thread wven started bookMarking but there is just too much.

What I gather from the last posts is that is now recommended to add an amp?

1 week later
    #726 1 year ago
    Quoted from ray-dude:

Forgive the "barely keeping up" question, but does someone have a link to the current recommendation for sound settings for Kicker CSC5s + JBL Sub + Dayton Audio amp in a Stern? (preferably Godzilla LE) Interested in cross over over for the DA amp, as well as equalization settings, etc. for the pin.
    I remember this being discussed, but alas, I didn't keep a link to the latest/greatest.

I second this but for Jurassic Park and Iron Maiden?
    Anybody tried either?

#733 1 year ago
    Quoted from northerndude:

Anyone have a good source for to pick up a handful of Z connectors like this so can make my own cables leaving my amp, and have the setup completely reversible and ready to plug speaker right back into main board.
    Thanks in advance
    [quoted image][quoted image]

let me know if you find them. I am sure digikey must have them.

1 month later
    #785 1 year ago
    Quoted from max_pinball:

Hi,
    Does anyone know which crimp I need for the speaker plug wire for an Iron Maiden premium . I want to replace the cable which is divided in two with one long cable. Is it awg 18?
    Best regards and thanks
    Max

If you look at the insulation it might say what gauge it is. That said, it is most likely 18.

Do you have a remval tool to take the connector out? If it is the round type molex connector (female) I can give you the part number in a while when I get home.

#788 1 year ago
    Quoted from max_pinball:

Thanks for the answer . I‘m not at my machines so I can‘t look at the insulation right now . I don’t have a removal tool and I think I need the male connector for the speaker.
    Thanks for help . I really appreciate the help .

female connector is part # 2091119
    https://www.digikey.ca/en/products/detail/molex/0002091119/26390?s=N4IgTCBcDa4AwE4CMKEgLoF8g

Male connector is:
    https://www.digikey.ca/en/products/detail/molex/0002092116/1784873

Just make sure these are what you need.

These will work for either 18-22 AWG, however I always have bigger ones also available that interconnect with these. I use the bigger ones (14-18 awg) when I need to crimp 2 cables into one connector.

#790 1 year ago

I want to do my Iron Maiden and Led Zeppelin but not interested in running an amp as I do not blast my games, in fact, pkayed with medium to low volume.

Wondering if I would still need an amp?

I am looking for clearer, deeper and crisp sound, not louder.

Any tips?

1 week later
    #829 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pugster:

I finally got my GZ Premium and yesterday installed my 5.25” kicker DS’s and my JBL Stage 810. We play at typically lower volumes.
    Initial results were “meh” until I changed the EQ as recommended. Then…whoa.
    Hell Yes. Complete game changer, this is the best bang for buck mod out there for GZ and I suspect any Spike 2.

no external amp here? I have not had time to read through all the stickies yet but I will, just waiting a bit and letting this thread ripe a bit I am wanting to up grade my music pins

4 weeks later
    #869 1 year ago
    Quoted from davegauth:

Amp'n up Rush - PT2
    I used one of my under cabinet mounts to secure the amp inside the cabinet. It's still reachable from the coin door. So this is kind of a set it and forget it approach.
    I used some velcro tape from home depot to attach the power supply to the back corner of the cabinet. Pretty easy solution and I had a roll of it. I technically could have velcro the amp down too. But I had the mount already made for the fosi.
    The speaker wiring is fairly simple - so no details to get into there. Just pay attention to your Left, Right, positive, neg etc.
    I joined up all the wires(power, audio, back box speaker cables) and sent it down the hole on the right side of the backbox. I made a harness out of it all with zip ties to keep it clean. Making sure to leave a loop and slack at the back for when the head gets lowered.
    Loop any extra wire and tie it up - look at just behind the amp.
    That's it. Upgraded Audio system that puts out more power, sounds better, and has significantly better components than those $425 systems. Plus it has Bluetooth so it can be used as a jukebox in your game room.
    Now to dial in the sound to my liking.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Well done! Supe clean.
    I will probably take this approach.

1 month later
    #923 1 year ago
    Quoted from Spiderpin:

Just started reading this DIY forum this week. I stop here to answer it so if it's already been addressed, my bad. I purchased a 2007 Dale Jr three weeks ago and started my speaker upgrade. It too has a wooden panel. So yes it can be done. See pics I replaced the clear acrylic with Red. Not a fan of the orange color from the 2007 line up. Probably not going to add a amplifier in this pin yet. I did replaced the 15 year old cabinet speaker and it did have a rip in paper cone.. ok back to reading so I can get my Aerosmith, Metallica and other pins upgraded after I get some knowledge.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Get a pin2dmd screen and replace that energy eatinng plasma. You can run the pin2dmd (led) in any colour you want.

Plus the game runs much quiet when in attract mode. No more plasma “fizzzzzz”.

I make my own pin2dmd for all my games.

2 months later
    #1064 1 year ago
    Quoted from Ashram56:

Quick pictures of a DIY speaker plate adapter I designed for my Pyle subwoofer, to add clearance and to adjust the screws (which are too short for the new sub). I'm using M3 screws which are fitted from the bottom (there is an opening to fit the screw head). There's also clearance around each nut of the original screws to allow to fit the toolhead (otherwise you can't screw the nut)
    It's really a straight design, nothing fancy, if there's an interest I can post it

Awesome Work Ashram56 !!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pin_fandango.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/improving-sound-quality-the-diy-route?tu=pin_fandango and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.