(Topic ID: 307852)

Improving Sound Quality - The DIY Route

By davegauth

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3311120240422_225954 (resized).jpg
    222220240422_214549 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1701 (resized).jpeg
    504783-a257170fca2168983d2a6e1bbfec3f44 (resized).jpg
    received_6742998335800442 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    320-3350_HR_0.default (resized).jpg
    607DEEC4-36DB-45AA-8B61-018875778767 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    slika-1109725-631a4b9a8ef1e-velika-3077129719 (resized).jpg
    5580B012-A4F2-4FA4-ADF1-E8801A418BC1 (resized).jpeg
    8CDE1FF8-62E4-40F4-85EF-E93F22435908 (resized).jpeg
    C5D15E76-AC5F-4258-BC0F-0ECB29263D5B (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20240222-214420_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    February 2024 DIY Super Kit (resized).jpg
    20240218_102558 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5 Simple front speaker swap instructions Posted by davegauth (2 years ago)

Post #41 Cabinet speaker replacement instructions/info Posted by davegauth (2 years ago)

Post #162 Kicker vs JBL speaker comparison Posted by davegauth (2 years ago)

Post #165 MBQuart vs Alpine speaker comparison Posted by davegauth (2 years ago)

Post #186 Kenwood vs Pyle speaker comparison Posted by davegauth (2 years ago)

Post #244 Stern amplifier and sound signal output INFO Posted by davegauth (2 years ago)

Post #269 5.25" speaker overall ranking to date Posted by davegauth (2 years ago)

Post #352 Speaker baffles info and summary Posted by davegauth (2 years ago)

Post #392 Adding an Amplifier (General) INFO Posted by davegauth (2 years ago)

Post #424 Thingverse file link for printing 5.25" speaker mount Posted by Sleal16 (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider metallik.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 2 years ago

Before there was Pinwoofer, before Flipper Fidelity, before even PinballPro, there was the original DIY: my amplified AFM that I hauled to Expo 20 years ago.

There was nothing else like it... you could hear martians dying clear across the hall. Most people really enjoyed it and I brought it back for a couple more Expos. This is the game that started the trend for better pinball audio. I documented the build on RGP for others to use, and later did my Demo Man and STTNG. Eventually PinballPro came out with their original unamplified kits, and the pinball audio aftermarket was born. The AFM upgrade still works great!

(Also includes an early flipper cooling prototype!)

afmaudio (resized).pngafmaudio (resized).png
    #18 2 years ago

For current upgrades, HocusLocus has the right idea with purchasing a speaker-level to line out converter. This lets you connect directly to the backbox speaker leads and avoid messing with the Spike2 board. Get one of those, connect the inputs to the backbox speaker leads, and run the line out to your amp. Nowadays, the amplifier/equalizers I used aren't available, but there are plenty of small 2.1 amps to use, like this Lepai model:

https://www.parts-express.com/Lepai-LP-168HA-2.1-2x40W-Amplifier-1x68W-Sub-Output-310-308

You would connect the Lepai directly to replacement backbox speakers and a new cabinet subwoofer. Here are all of Parts Express's 4" speakers:

https://www.parts-express.com/car-audio/car-speakers-subwoofers/dash-door-deck-car-speakers/speakersize/4.0

Lately I've been getting the Visaton FX-10s. These have the tweeter flush with the surround ring, so you can install them behind the Stern grilles no problem. They sound good and are only $20ea.

https://www.parts-express.com/Visaton-FX10-4-Coaxial-Speaker-292-674

For the cabinet sub, you don't really need to spend a lot. $20-$30 subs work fine. Here are all of Parts Express' 8" subs:

https://www.parts-express.com/car-audio/car-speakers-subwoofers/car-subwoofer-speakers/nominaldiameter/8

This Pyle is only $20 and would be fine in a pinball application. You can always spend more but I have yet to blow a sub in a pinball.

https://www.parts-express.com/Pyle-PLPW8D-Power-8-800-Watt-DVC-Subwoofer-267-7452

I recommend removing the plastic grille to keep the sub cone from buzzing it. Also, if the game is a Spike 2, go into the settings and set for 4 ohm and remove any equalizer or filter settings. Use the bass/treble/sub controls on the amp to adjust the sound... I wouldn't trust the digital adjustments the game makes.

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from davegauth:

metallik you are the OG

I may have been first, but TheKorn completely knocked it outta the park later on.. (2nd pic)

https://www.pinballnews.com/shows/expo2010/index2.html

#22 2 years ago

Gogo: I bought a similar "better" amp from parts express for my Maiden, and it shit the bed after about 10 months. The cheap Lepais are still working fine, except for a little noise in the controls. Even when it worked, the bigger amp didn't sound noticeably better than the cheaper one.

This is the one that failed early: https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-DTA-2.1BT2-100W-2.1-Class-D-Bluetooth-Amplifier-with-Sub-Frequency-Adjustment-300-3831 The one you're looking at probably has the same innards (both are 24v, etc)

#38 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinWoofer:

Even if you do everything "right", it is possible to end up with a noisy system due to ground loops and virtual ground issues.

Yes, I've found on the newer Spike and SAM games, you have to connect the amp chassis to the game's ground braid, or else you get a hum. The older WPC games didn't have this issue as much. Some amps have a ground screw to use, but if it doesn't, just back one of the housing screws out and connect the wire to it, then to the ground braid.

#43 2 years ago

If you're just replacing speakers, Spike gives high/low filter options in the sound setup. Enabling these should remove the need for crossovers, but installing one certainly won't hurt.

2 weeks later
    #97 2 years ago
    Quoted from davegauth:

Even with the stock Stern amp, I am able to get my bass kicking with improvements thus far. With this comes the inevitable glass rattle.

Rick and Morty owners already fought this battle, and the consensus is: snip the ends off zip ties, and insert them between the glass channel and the cabinet wood. Use a half dozen or so for each side. Don't have to worry about removing them when glass comes out because they're under the channel.

2 weeks later
    #156 2 years ago

With the external amps you can adjust the tone controls to bring back the mids. You'll need good backbox speakers to reproduce them. There's also the Spike EQ but I prefer to have the game output completely unaltered audio and rely on the amp for tone and level controls.

What I'd most like to see in this thread is a comparison of quality, externally amplified 4" speakers vs quality, externally amplified 5.25" speakers. Right now I'm putting in good 4" units with amps and it sounds good, but I think the bigger 5.25 speakers would fill the midrange even better. Want to know if it's worth getting adapters and upgrading to 5.25s.

#158 2 years ago
    Quoted from dinot:

I don't think it is the amp/speakers. I am running a full range amp with higher end speakers. On my most recent upgrade (LZ Prem), I am using JLAudio C2-525X speakers. I think it is the output at the board is not outputting a full range signal. It seems like it is cutting off the frequencies at a higher level than where the subwoofer kicks in leaving a hole.

There are a lot of audio settings in Spike2, including an EQ and some high/low filters. Go into these settings and make sure that everything is set to flat output, no filters. I've disabled all the filtering and EQs, then connected my line-level converters to the backbox speaker outputs. My Iron Maiden sounds fine this way, and has plenty of mids.

1 month later
    #387 2 years ago

Is that in your GTB Rock game? Guessing from the view inside the door...

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider metallik.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/improving-sound-quality-the-diy-route?tu=metallik and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.