Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,822 posts
  • 247 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by Ollulanus
  • Topic is favorited by 377 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1701 (resized).jpeg
    504783-a257170fca2168983d2a6e1bbfec3f44 (resized).jpg
    received_6742998335800442 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    320-3350_HR_0.default (resized).jpg
    607DEEC4-36DB-45AA-8B61-018875778767 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    slika-1109725-631a4b9a8ef1e-velika-3077129719 (resized).jpg
    5580B012-A4F2-4FA4-ADF1-E8801A418BC1 (resized).jpeg
    8CDE1FF8-62E4-40F4-85EF-E93F22435908 (resized).jpeg
    C5D15E76-AC5F-4258-BC0F-0ECB29263D5B (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20240222-214420_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    February 2024 DIY Super Kit (resized).jpg
    20240218_102558 (resized).jpg
    20240218_101946 (resized).jpg
    20240218_101928 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5 Simple front speaker swap instructions Posted by davegauth (2 years ago)

Post #41 Cabinet speaker replacement instructions/info Posted by davegauth (2 years ago)

Post #162 Kicker vs JBL speaker comparison Posted by davegauth (2 years ago)

Post #165 MBQuart vs Alpine speaker comparison Posted by davegauth (2 years ago)

Post #186 Kenwood vs Pyle speaker comparison Posted by davegauth (2 years ago)

Post #244 Stern amplifier and sound signal output INFO Posted by davegauth (2 years ago)

Post #269 5.25" speaker overall ranking to date Posted by davegauth (2 years ago)

Post #352 Speaker baffles info and summary Posted by davegauth (2 years ago)

Post #392 Adding an Amplifier (General) INFO Posted by davegauth (2 years ago)

Post #424 Thingverse file link for printing 5.25" speaker mount Posted by Sleal16 (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ashram56.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#830 1 year ago
    Quoted from davegauth:

Was a bit of a pain sorting this all out.
    The things we do for more power!
    Still have to hook up to the DSP and fully program it, before reviewing.
    Quick impression - very clean. Stupid amounts of power available.. Measuring about 120watts at the sub. Could be crazy good if the DSP programming will do what I hope it can.
    [quoted image]

That's interesting. Does it include a native DSP (Sigma I assume) ? Where did you get it ?

Cheers

#835 1 year ago
    Quoted from max_pinball:

No one an idea ? It’s seemed to be Yellow and white or am I wrong ?
    Thanks
    Max

Tips and trick.

Take a white wire. Roll it around a piece of pipe for the whole length, just like a coil. Apply yellow paint, let it dry, unroll. Voilà, you've got your striped wire.

#836 1 year ago
    Quoted from davegauth:

Exactly, they have an on board DSP that can be adjusted using Sigma Studio.
    Parts express has them as KAB boards, and Wondom as the JAB boards.

I live in Europe, hopefully I can find them as well.

#838 1 year ago
    Quoted from Ashram56:

I live in Europe, hopefully I can find them as well.

So I've been looking, Dayton Audio carries them under two different product line, KABD and DSPB. They seem interesting, but I could not find a 2.1 version, which I think would be preferred in this use case (I think the one you have is a 4x100W amplifier, right ? 119 euros in Europe).

Would be curious to see what you manage to build with it.

Also, has anyone experimented with dual coil subwoofers ?

[EDIT] actually, this specific 4x amplifier is also perfect for dual coil subwoofer: 2.0 for main speakers, and 2.0 for dual coil

I think 4x100W is rather overkill, I would think 4x30w is sufficient given the speaker size

1 month later
    #899 1 year ago
    Quoted from DugFreez:

Seeing 5.25" speakers mounted on the proper 5.25" speaker plates looks nice.
    What does not look nice is the 4" speaker plates. Who wants to see the off-centerer speaker holes with those craptastic bars running through them? It's best to keep the foam over them.

I have bought from PU-Parts in Europe some 4" speaker plate without the bars. But yes... it's not centered... Which is really a mistery to me as to why

2 months later
    #985 1 year ago

Finding the recommended parts is proving complicated in France, at least for the sub.

I did find easily the Kicker CSC4 or CSC5, but JBL Stage 810 is not available except at Conrad (which is OK I guess but would not have been my go to choice for speakers). It might good if others could share their experience with alternative sub speakers that can be more easily sourced worldwide.

Also, has anyone tested the JBL Club 4020 and compared them to the Kicker or Alpine ? I've read the thread about Kicker vs JBL, but I'm not familiar enough with JBL linup to determine if the Club 4020 are the same category than the tested speakers.

Why these Club 4020 ? Because well... They look gorgeous Would fit very nicely using a round opening instead of the current grill opening

#990 1 year ago
    Quoted from davegauth:

When looking at the JBL's - keep in mind the PlusOne design of the speaker cone suspension makes it a bit more complicated to flush/face mount the speaker. there are ways to do it, it's just a bit trickier. I refrained from testing more of the JBL's because the cost was starting to get up there for me collecting all these speakers. I do recommend using an external amp to run them though. When I outfitted a Rush and tried using just the Stern amp it just didn't have enough oooommmppphhh for my liking. (Note: I did sell that Rush Pro and the new owner absolutely loved the sound system) If I had to go with JBL in the backbox again, I would want to step up to whatever model has a silk dome tweater.
    As far as the JBL Stage 810 - I mostly picked that speaker because it was readily available, inexpensive, sounded good, and could be mounted easily without any adapters. Since you are having trouble sourcing it - then most of those advantages are out the window. The Kicker 8" CompC is also a nice sub, and I like the sound a bit more than the JBL. Though it is a little bit more expensive, and will require a spacer and a little bit of minor work to get it mounted up.

Forgot to mention indeed that I do have an adapter ring I designed (3D printing) for these Club 4020. I just wonder for my newly arrived GZ if I should go to the Kicker or Alpine. Guess I'll try the Kicker, they are easily available (but they don't look as nice ). I do have also a few amps to test with (both with and without DSP)

1 week later
    #1000 1 year ago

I used PU-parts metal speaker panel with a small 3d printed adapter for jbl club 4020, it looks very nice.

Also replaced the sub with a Pyle PLPW8D. It's a dual coil sub, which I wired in series to get 8 ohm. I used this one because it was easily available.

Out of the box, there is a far more distinct rumble in the cabinet. Now need to adjust the equalizer to get better quality out of the backbox speakers

20221101_202612 (resized).jpg20221101_202612 (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #1036 1 year ago

Has anyone designed a spacer ring for the subwoofer in the cabinet, to increase clearance between the woofer and the grid?

I can probably quickly design one though

#1045 1 year ago
    Quoted from pete_d:

Thanks!
    Funny you should mention the LEDs. I actually have a version that has space for that:
    [quoted image]
    But I haven't uploaded it yet, because I can't figure out whether that's actually all that useful. You could print the whole thing in translucent material, but I'm not sure one would want the whole front face of it translucent. But I don't have a multi-filament printer to play with, so I'm unsure how useful a model where you have to set one particular section as translucent and the rest some other color. And since I don't have a printer that supports that, and have never done it myself, I don't even know how or whether that's something I can specify in the model itself, or if it's something a person does in the slicer.
    (Yeah, I guess I could just look it up on the web, but I'm being lazy for now... )
    I thought about splitting the model into two pieces that can somehow be reattached to each other later, but that also seems complicated and I think the model I've got so far might require a little extra tweaking to get that to work out.
    Do you have any thoughts about any of that?

Why not split it in two parts ? One for the plate, one for the speaker ring.

Here's a design I made a while ago to adapt JBL Club 4020, it has a groove for a ledstrip. It could be mounted on top of the speaker plate, flat without the spacer

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5318717

Design is provided with Fusion original file, so you can adjust dimension to match your specific speakers. It's currently designed for 4" speaker replacement

20220226_133452_Medium (resized).jpg20220226_133452_Medium (resized).jpg
    #1047 1 year ago
    Quoted from arrbee:

If I understood the initial post about this project, a major motivator or requirement was to not have the 5.25" speaker behind a 4" hole.

Well with 3D printing you can accomodate pretty much everything. That said, I'm using 4" speakers on my Premium, which has 4" speakers, the adapter is primarily to add a spacer and adjust for screw hole location

2 weeks later
    #1063 1 year ago

Quick pictures of a DIY speaker plate adapter I designed for my Pyle subwoofer, to add clearance and to adjust the screws (which are too short for the new sub). I'm using M3 screws which are fitted from the bottom (there is an opening to fit the screw head). There's also clearance around each nut of the original screws to allow to fit the toolhead (otherwise you can't screw the nut)

It's really a straight design, nothing fancy, if there's an interest I can post it

20221127_164053 (resized).jpg20221127_164053 (resized).jpg20221127_165701 (resized).jpg20221127_165701 (resized).jpg
    #1066 1 year ago
    Quoted from bigguybbr:

Just FYI you can get enough clearance by removing the screen material, tapping out the studs, moving the screen to the outside of the cabinet before tapping the studs back into place. Then the sub can be secured in place with the existing studs. No extra parts needed and plenty of clearance for the cone to travel. Your adapter does look nice though.
    [quoted image]

Is that right? I had not realized the grid added so much thickness

#1068 1 year ago
    Quoted from pete_d:

The screen doesn't. But the cabinet plywood does. Note the critical step in the process you quoted: "moving the screen to the outside of the cabinet before tapping the studs back into place".
    The screen is normally inside the cabinet. Moving it to the outside gives the extra depth of the wood for clearance, for speakers that have something that protrudes beyond the plane of the mounting hardware.

Ah got it, I was not referring to this point.

In my case the studs are waaayyyyy too short, so I would need to replace them to be able to fit the Pyle speaker. Hence the adapter, because it was faster for me to design and print than order just 4 screws

#1070 1 year ago

On another note, this time for Stern SAM: there is no real line out on SAM CPU board, so I essentially see two options:

- Solder headers on the two test points for audio on the CPU board. These are well documented, but it's not really practical because ground is nowhere close, so from the wiring perspective it would look ugly. But benefit would be clean line out just before the amp section
    - Use an amplified-to-line converter. I tried to look up schematics and principle diagram, it seems to be a super simple 10 to 1 divider circuit. Is there any quality impact ?

Also trying to understand stereo vs mono, based on the schematics, one channel is driven to backbox, one channel is driven to cabinet for sub. But the filtering seems completely identical on the schematics. Taking a look at alternate replacement speaker, I can see they add a big low pass filter to the sub.

My assumption therefore is that the output is actually stereo, and filtering is done on the speakers themselves. So in theory, I could add a speaker-to-line adapter, add a 2.1 amplifier and feed natively from there backbox and cabinet speaker. Of course, source material is probably mono anyway, but at least wiring wise that would be relatively straightforward.

Thoughts ?

3 months later
    #1175 1 year ago

You need to get a hold of the schematics of this board. Otherwise it will be rather difficult to figure out what is what, aside from experimenting and identifying from the connector silkscreen.

At a minimum, please provide a close up picture of each connector, with the labels clearly visible so we can try to figure out from there what is what

10 months later
    #1713 77 days ago

Looks like the speaker adapters STL files links are gone, would anyone be able to share them ?

Also, I recall seeing a full 5" printed plate, equivalent to the metal plate used on various website (see below), but can't find the link to the STL, has this been posted ?

Regards

Quoted from pete_d:

Thanks!
    Funny you should mention the LEDs. I actually have a version that has space for that:
    [quoted image]
    But I haven't uploaded it yet, because I can't figure out whether that's actually all that useful. You could print the whole thing in translucent material, but I'm not sure one would want the whole front face of it translucent. But I don't have a multi-filament printer to play with, so I'm unsure how useful a model where you have to set one particular section as translucent and the rest some other color. And since I don't have a printer that supports that, and have never done it myself, I don't even know how or whether that's something I can specify in the model itself, or if it's something a person does in the slicer.
    (Yeah, I guess I could just look it up on the web, but I'm being lazy for now... )
    I thought about splitting the model into two pieces that can somehow be reattached to each other later, but that also seems complicated and I think the model I've got so far might require a little extra tweaking to get that to work out.
    Do you have any thoughts about any of that?

1 month later
    #1809 28 days ago

Good morning everyone !

Would anyone in this thread (especially the original poster) have experience on audio electronics board design ? As in real board design, not just using an existing amplifier.

We have designed a custom board (long story...) with on board TDA8932 modules, and we are experiencing 50Hz noise injection (a very distinct 50hz buzzing sound) from the ground plane (the board is powered with AC through a rectifier, and when we power directly with DC connection, the noise is gone). We have separated on the board ground for the amplifiers output from the main board ground, but the modules themselves have a direct connection between these two ground planes.

Analog circuitry and ground loop diagnosis is really not my strong point, so I would welcome any advise.

Regards

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ashram56.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/improving-sound-quality-the-diy-route?tu=ashram56 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.