Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,822 posts
  • 247 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 days ago by Ollulanus
  • Topic is favorited by 377 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1701 (resized).jpeg
    504783-a257170fca2168983d2a6e1bbfec3f44 (resized).jpg
    received_6742998335800442 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    320-3350_HR_0.default (resized).jpg
    607DEEC4-36DB-45AA-8B61-018875778767 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    slika-1109725-631a4b9a8ef1e-velika-3077129719 (resized).jpg
    5580B012-A4F2-4FA4-ADF1-E8801A418BC1 (resized).jpeg
    8CDE1FF8-62E4-40F4-85EF-E93F22435908 (resized).jpeg
    C5D15E76-AC5F-4258-BC0F-0ECB29263D5B (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20240222-214420_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    February 2024 DIY Super Kit (resized).jpg
    20240218_102558 (resized).jpg
    20240218_101946 (resized).jpg
    20240218_101928 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5 Simple front speaker swap instructions Posted by davegauth (2 years ago)

Post #41 Cabinet speaker replacement instructions/info Posted by davegauth (2 years ago)

Post #162 Kicker vs JBL speaker comparison Posted by davegauth (2 years ago)

Post #165 MBQuart vs Alpine speaker comparison Posted by davegauth (2 years ago)

Post #186 Kenwood vs Pyle speaker comparison Posted by davegauth (2 years ago)

Post #244 Stern amplifier and sound signal output INFO Posted by davegauth (2 years ago)

Post #269 5.25" speaker overall ranking to date Posted by davegauth (2 years ago)

Post #352 Speaker baffles info and summary Posted by davegauth (2 years ago)

Post #392 Adding an Amplifier (General) INFO Posted by davegauth (2 years ago)

Post #424 Thingverse file link for printing 5.25" speaker mount Posted by Sleal16 (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider T3quila.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1127 1 year ago

My new JB Premium has a very crackly sound, so I decided to get the speaker light kit and upgrade the backbox to 5.25".
    I just got the standard Kenwood ones (I know I know, they are crap, but it's JB sound from 60 years ago and not a rock concert, so they should suffice and it's affordable).

I installed the lights and was playing without the backbox speakers because they won't come until this evening.
    It turns out it's the cabinet speaker that emits the majority of the crackly distorted sound.

I need some help to fix that, ideally with a drop-in replacement. I don't need an amp - the machines run typically only on volume level 5 or 6, I just want no gramophone-esque or clipping distortion.

I found a link earlier in this thread to a lowpass filter: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B009D9KHZ2/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1
    would that help?
    Or should I get another speaker instead, or both?

As said, if I can get a drop-in replacement that would be ideal and I don't want to spend $200 on a speaker that is not exercised above 5% of what it can do either.
    I've seen some 8" ceiling full-range speakers. OR should I go with a dedicated woofer (I suspect they are larger in size) and the lowpass filter?

Thanks for the help!

Edit:
    Amazon suggested these subwoofer on the LP filter page:
    https://smile.amazon.com/Hifonics-Brutus-Shallow-Subwoofer-400W/dp/B079CHVTPX/ref=psdc_1294866011_t5_B00I9TSXKI
    https://smile.amazon.com/BOSS-Audio-CXX8-Car-Subwoofer/dp/B00I9TSXKI/ref=pd_bxgy_vft_none_img_sccl_1/145-4650186-5603446

They are in a price range that's suitable for me.

#1129 1 year ago
    Quoted from davegauth:

Unfortunatley the 007 JB sounds like crap when the ball is in the pops. It isn't the quality of the track - it's the ability of the speakers to produce the lower bass notes that are used in the sound effect.
    So 2 ways to combat this....
    1 - Activate the 10 band EQ, go into the cabinet EQ, and drop out the lower couple of frequency bands on the EQ. This will ease up on the low frequencies being sent to the speaker that it can't handle - reducing your crunchy crunchy sound.
    2 - Upgrade the sound system to include replacing the cabinet speaker with something that can better handle the lower frequencies it is trying to play.
    I have a JB on location, so I understand what you are talking about, and it is very prominant and disconcerting. I choose option #1 above, as it's a location pin and I needed a quick fix.

So if i get that right it's actually not the higher frequencies but the low ones that trip up the cabinet speaker. So a LP filter won't do squat.

The speakers that i linked in the previous post, would they be able to handle that or are they still too small / crappy?
    Or in other words, what, in your opinion, would be the minimal viable product? $50, $60 range maybe? Or is there nothing that will help in that range?
    Thank you for your help!
    And thank you for the tip with the EQ. I'll give that a shot if the cabinet speaker replacement route won't pan out!

#1132 1 year ago
    Quoted from prentice:

I use the Skar for a cheap replacement that helps a lot:
    Skar Audio FSX8-8 8" https://a.co/d/0a790fl
    This one also has been recommended:
    https://www.pinballlife.com/boom-boom-3000-8-speaker-upgrade-for-spike-spike-2-machines.html
    Or the JBL l:
    JBL Stage810 - 8" https://a.co/d/76EMSjH

Awesome, thank you for the recommendation!
    I may try the pinball life one for the simple reason that i can put more crap into the order, need light sockets and such stuff and don't want to pay shipping for like 20$ worth of parts.

4 weeks later
    #1156 1 year ago
    Quoted from awesome1:

I'm a bit surprised you went with a straight sub, especially with no amp add on. If you are looking for a cheap easy drop in replacement, I've had great results with the Skar Audio FSX8-4 which would allow mids and lows, for a stock cab speaker replacement. You can find them on Amazon as a two pack for around $45.

Is that one going to do better in a Bond? I'm more than happy to plop that one in. Just trying to get rid of the distortion, nothing else.
    Edit: Would you recommend the 4 or the 8 Ohm version without amp.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider T3quila.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/improving-sound-quality-the-diy-route?tu=T3quila and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.