Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,822 posts
  • 247 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 days ago by Ollulanus
  • Topic is favorited by 377 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1701 (resized).jpeg
    504783-a257170fca2168983d2a6e1bbfec3f44 (resized).jpg
    received_6742998335800442 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    320-3350_HR_0.default (resized).jpg
    607DEEC4-36DB-45AA-8B61-018875778767 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    slika-1109725-631a4b9a8ef1e-velika-3077129719 (resized).jpg
    5580B012-A4F2-4FA4-ADF1-E8801A418BC1 (resized).jpeg
    8CDE1FF8-62E4-40F4-85EF-E93F22435908 (resized).jpeg
    C5D15E76-AC5F-4258-BC0F-0ECB29263D5B (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20240222-214420_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    February 2024 DIY Super Kit (resized).jpg
    20240218_102558 (resized).jpg
    20240218_101946 (resized).jpg
    20240218_101928 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5 Simple front speaker swap instructions Posted by davegauth (2 years ago)

Post #41 Cabinet speaker replacement instructions/info Posted by davegauth (2 years ago)

Post #162 Kicker vs JBL speaker comparison Posted by davegauth (2 years ago)

Post #165 MBQuart vs Alpine speaker comparison Posted by davegauth (2 years ago)

Post #186 Kenwood vs Pyle speaker comparison Posted by davegauth (2 years ago)

Post #244 Stern amplifier and sound signal output INFO Posted by davegauth (2 years ago)

Post #269 5.25" speaker overall ranking to date Posted by davegauth (2 years ago)

Post #352 Speaker baffles info and summary Posted by davegauth (2 years ago)

Post #392 Adding an Amplifier (General) INFO Posted by davegauth (2 years ago)

Post #424 Thingverse file link for printing 5.25" speaker mount Posted by Sleal16 (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SirMachismo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#861 1 year ago
    Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

Dave... Thanks for update.
    Question: Do you feel these 2 speakers: GX528 backbox & JBL810 subwoofer are also a great choice for the older pins from the early 1990's to mid 90's (Like: TZ / TAF / FT / I-500 / ToM / CP / WH20)?
    Thanks
    Kerry

Was about to ask a similar question. I put the JBL810 in the cabinet of my LAH (because of Dave and his posts) and I love how it sounds so much. I have been considering doing the back box with the GX528, and then doing the same to my South Park. Great work Dave!

1 year later
    #1405 8 months ago
    Quoted from gumnut01:

JBL stage 82. Looks like no spacer required. This thing is hefty!!
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I was just looking at these today wondering if this is the new go to cabinet sub now that the 810 seems to be out of stock or discontinued. I would love to hear what you think about how it sounds.
    Thanks,
    Lb

4 months later
    #1660 3 months ago
    Quoted from Bigbwb:

Correct, only using the stock amplifier. So 8 ohm now? I thought the consensus was 4 earlier on?
    So how do I increase the subs volume? Thank you!

I went with 8 ohms based on this forum.

Adjusting the balance between the cabinet and back box speakers is how I “got” more volume without an amp.

Service menu > Utilities > Volume > Fade

My Godzilla with Kickers 46CSC and the JBL JBLSUBST82AM sound great after tweaking the 10 Band Eq and setting the fade to -10.
    -Lb

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #1662 3 months ago
    Quoted from Bigbwb:

Found it! Thank you for the help! Agreed, this helped a lot. We have the same setup. I should ask, did you use the same EQ settings found in the first few pages of this thread?
    Merry Christmas folks!

I started with those setting but the kickers were just too bright for my ears so I came up with my current EQ…it seems to evolve from time to time.
    Merry Christmas!
    -Lb

IMG_2647 (resized).jpegIMG_2647 (resized).jpegIMG_2649 (resized).jpegIMG_2649 (resized).jpeg
    #1668 3 months ago
    Quoted from davegauth:

Hope everyone is enjoyong their Christmas. I find myself with a bunch more time on my hands this year.
    Next up for reviews...
    Skar Audio 5.25" TX series speakers. ($45ish and silk dome tweeter)
    I'll compare them to the Kicker CS 5.25's in a head to head speaker fight. Then in a follow up exhibition round I'll do my best to compare them to the Alpine 5x7's.
    Now that I setup the youtube channel I'm thinking about making some videos. However; I have no clue where to start and I am really resisting the rabbit hole, as I know it can be a consuming effort with editing, software, equipment etc. If anyone has suggestions on how I can keep this simple and something I would have time to keep up with - I'm open to ideas.
    Before people freak on the picture below..... It's just temporary, as I was checking the fit on the new 5.25" mounts and lighting. It also makes for an easy way to compare them to the 5x7s.
    [quoted image]

A smart phone, a Google or OneDrive to upload videos, and any editing software on your home computer is a good start. Some of my edits are all in phone TicTok edits that I export for other platforms. While other edits are full blow Adobe Premiere timeline edits with B-roll and a soundtrack. For as much as I have learned on this thread hit me up and we can talk about what you want your channel to become. In the mean time look at YouTube content and think about what your style is.
    -Lb

#1671 3 months ago
    Quoted from davegauth:

Here is a short video of the 5x7 MBQuart speakers on Foo - using the stock Stern amp.

*** I'll need to figure out why the video quality keeps dropping when uploaded.

I think you a couple of things might be at play.

-YouTube typically uploads a Low Res SD version first then queues a Hi Res HD version for transcode (may take 10-20 minutes).
    -YouTube will often set your playback quality to auto. It depends on the device and your internet/cellular speed.
    -I am not sure what aspect ratio and resolution the video was shot in. Did you shot in 1920x1080 or 1080x1020? The way it is exported it looks like 1920x1080 formatted to 1080x1920. Resulting in pillar boxing.
    -the speaker lighting kit video seems to be a max resolution of 720.
    Overall the Foo video looks pretty good, I do think for your content you may want to standardize a position to shoot sound comparisons from as the small mic is greatly influenced by its position to the speakers.
    Hope this helps.
    -Lb

2 months later
    #1764 52 days ago
    Quoted from Falc0nWing:

guys, how would you connect this to a spike2? aligator to the cabinet speaker? if yes which input on this? thanks!
    [quoted image]

I have four Spike 2 pins, none of which have an external amp. Two pins are utilizing the Pinovators sub adaptor (linked in an earlier post) and the line level input on the sub. One is soldered in parallel to the cabinet speaker and uses the right or left speaker level input on the sub, the other is alligator clipped in parallel to the cabinet speaker (speaker level input on the sub). I am not a fan of clipping things into place so I will fix that someday.

Side note: If you use the Pinovator adaptor the sub will part of the backbox 10-band Equalizer. If you wire it in parallel it utilizes the cabinet speakers 10-band EQ.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SirMachismo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/improving-sound-quality-the-diy-route?tu=SirMachismo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.