Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,819 posts
  • 246 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by nacdale
  • Topic is favorited by 377 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1701 (resized).jpeg
    504783-a257170fca2168983d2a6e1bbfec3f44 (resized).jpg
    received_6742998335800442 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    320-3350_HR_0.default (resized).jpg
    607DEEC4-36DB-45AA-8B61-018875778767 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    slika-1109725-631a4b9a8ef1e-velika-3077129719 (resized).jpg
    5580B012-A4F2-4FA4-ADF1-E8801A418BC1 (resized).jpeg
    8CDE1FF8-62E4-40F4-85EF-E93F22435908 (resized).jpeg
    C5D15E76-AC5F-4258-BC0F-0ECB29263D5B (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20240222-214420_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    February 2024 DIY Super Kit (resized).jpg
    20240218_102558 (resized).jpg
    20240218_101946 (resized).jpg
    20240218_101928 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5 Simple front speaker swap instructions Posted by davegauth (2 years ago)

Post #41 Cabinet speaker replacement instructions/info Posted by davegauth (2 years ago)

Post #162 Kicker vs JBL speaker comparison Posted by davegauth (2 years ago)

Post #165 MBQuart vs Alpine speaker comparison Posted by davegauth (2 years ago)

Post #186 Kenwood vs Pyle speaker comparison Posted by davegauth (2 years ago)

Post #244 Stern amplifier and sound signal output INFO Posted by davegauth (2 years ago)

Post #269 5.25" speaker overall ranking to date Posted by davegauth (2 years ago)

Post #352 Speaker baffles info and summary Posted by davegauth (2 years ago)

Post #392 Adding an Amplifier (General) INFO Posted by davegauth (2 years ago)

Post #424 Thingverse file link for printing 5.25" speaker mount Posted by Sleal16 (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ElCid95.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1014 1 year ago

I hate to hijack this thread for a little bit, but I’m wanting to do a similar upgrade to my Tron Legacy Pro. I bought a pair of 4” Kickers and replaced the 8 ohm backbox stock speakers and get no sound out of them. The cabinet speaker works fine and the original 4” speakers worked again when I reinstalled them. I wonder if there is something different about the SAM CPU board that doesn’t like the Kickers. Maybe because they are 4 ohm?

#1034 1 year ago
    Quoted from pete_d:

Electrically and mechanically, speakers are pretty simple devices. It's hard to see how a functional speaker would just fail to work completely.
    The Stern Rush game (the only modern Stern machine I'm familiar with) has a setting for the speaker impedance. You should check to see if your machine has something similar. That said, unless the machine's amp is somehow specifically testing the impedance and refusing to send a signal to the speaker if it's too low, I don't see how the difference impedance would prevent the speaker from working at all.
    You might get poorer sound quality with the wrong impedance, and over the long run you might even manage to damage the amplifier if the components aren't designed to handle the current of the 4 ohm speaker. But you ought to at least hear something. Indeed, I've read posts from other people saying that they intentionally set the wrong impedance -- setting to 4 ohm even though they have 8 ohm speakers -- and they prefer the way it sounds that way. Not something I'd do, but at least it demonstrates that an impedance mismatch doesn't disable the speaker entirely.
    Though all that said, now that I think about it...if you have tested the new speakers on a different system and verified that the speakers themselves are good, maybe the pin does have some kind of circuitry design to prevent it from driving 4 ohm speakers. I mean, seems to me adding that circuitry would cost more than just building the amp to be able to handle the 4 ohm speakers. But I guess you never know.
    You could test that theory by wiring the two speakers in series -- use just one channel for both, attach the positive lead to one speaker, the negative to the other, and then tie the two remaining speaker terminals together -- and see if that works. That should increase the impedance to 8 ohms, and so if it's just an impedance mismatch, you should hear sound out of the pair of speakers with that configuration.
    And of course, if you haven't tested the speakers with a different amp, one that you know can handle 4 ohm speakers, you definitely should do that. The chances of you getting two bad speakers seems pretty low, but when troubleshooting, always check everything, even the stuff you think obviously couldn't be a problem.

I hooked them each up to the existing speakers and they definitely work. I talked to another pinsider and the SAM games have something in them that prevents them from working on 4 ohm speakers. I found an old AC/DC thread and it seems I'll need to add an amp to make them work.

1 year later
    #1554 4 months ago

In my Tron Legacy I put in 4 inch Kickers (46CSC44), JBL stage 810 subwoofer and two Fosi Audio BT20A amps. It was rattling the glass so I had to add some anti-rattle tape.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ElCid95.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/improving-sound-quality-the-diy-route?tu=ElCid95 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.