Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,822 posts
  • 247 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 days ago by Ollulanus
  • Topic is favorited by 377 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1701 (resized).jpeg
    504783-a257170fca2168983d2a6e1bbfec3f44 (resized).jpg
    received_6742998335800442 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    320-3350_HR_0.default (resized).jpg
    607DEEC4-36DB-45AA-8B61-018875778767 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    slika-1109725-631a4b9a8ef1e-velika-3077129719 (resized).jpg
    5580B012-A4F2-4FA4-ADF1-E8801A418BC1 (resized).jpeg
    8CDE1FF8-62E4-40F4-85EF-E93F22435908 (resized).jpeg
    C5D15E76-AC5F-4258-BC0F-0ECB29263D5B (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20240222-214420_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    February 2024 DIY Super Kit (resized).jpg
    20240218_102558 (resized).jpg
    20240218_101946 (resized).jpg
    20240218_101928 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5 Simple front speaker swap instructions Posted by davegauth (2 years ago)

Post #41 Cabinet speaker replacement instructions/info Posted by davegauth (2 years ago)

Post #162 Kicker vs JBL speaker comparison Posted by davegauth (2 years ago)

Post #165 MBQuart vs Alpine speaker comparison Posted by davegauth (2 years ago)

Post #186 Kenwood vs Pyle speaker comparison Posted by davegauth (2 years ago)

Post #244 Stern amplifier and sound signal output INFO Posted by davegauth (2 years ago)

Post #269 5.25" speaker overall ranking to date Posted by davegauth (2 years ago)

Post #352 Speaker baffles info and summary Posted by davegauth (2 years ago)

Post #392 Adding an Amplifier (General) INFO Posted by davegauth (2 years ago)

Post #424 Thingverse file link for printing 5.25" speaker mount Posted by Sleal16 (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

There are 1,822 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 37.
    #1 2 years ago

This thread is focused on improving the sound quality of Stern Spike 2 machines. SPECIFICALLY using DIY alternatives, and not using complete packages like Flipper Fidelity and Pinwoofer are offering. This is not a knock on any of them, as they make fine plug and play solutions - But this a DIY adventure thread.

The goal is to install and test many of the various options available to the DIYer and document the journey as I go. I'll test different speakers for sound quality and fitment. I'll start with simple bolt on improvements and move up the scale to full ham. We should be able to put together many options with pro's and con's and be able show some of the best bang for the buck levels of improvements.

Disclaimer - I do not have any products to sell nor am I affiliated with any product. Everything will be done out of pocket. Which also means I won't be able to test absolutely everything available. If for some reason that changes, or a product is donated etc. I will ensure it is fully disclosed.

I'm just a guy who wants better sounding pins.

Note - I started showing these mods in the GZ thread. Now moving it to a standalone thread as it will benefit more people seeking out this specific subject.

#2 2 years ago

Most of the issue with the audio is with the source material, sure in some cases a better woofer will help move more air but until you can remaster the source throwing a better speaker at the problem doesn't help much.

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from davegauth:

This thread is focused on improving the sound quality of Stern Spike 2 machines. SPECIFICALLY using DIY alternatives, and not using complete packages like Flipper Fidelity and Pinwoofer are offering. This is not a knock on any of them, as they make fine plug and play solutions - But this a DIY adventure thread.
    The goal is to install and test many of the various options available to the DIYer and document the journey as I go. I'll test different speakers for sound quality and fitment. I'll start with simple bolt on improvements and move up the scale to full ham. We should be able to put together many options with pro's and con's and be able show some of the best bang for the buck levels of improvements.
    Disclaimer - I do not have any products to sell nor am I affiliated with any product. Everything will be done out of pocket. Which also means I won't be able to test absolutely everything available. If for some reason that changes, or a product is donated etc. I will ensure it is fully disclosed.
    I'm just a guy who wants better sounding pins.
    Note - I started showing these mods in the GZ thread. Now moving it to a standalone thread as it will benefit more people seeking out this specific subject.

I am looking forward to seeing the results of your research!

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from Xenon75:

Most of the issue with the audio is with the source material, sure in some cases a better woofer will help move more air but until you can remaster the source throwing a better speaker at the problem doesn't help much.

I agree with this. The source material for GZ is very erratic. Deadpool is much better and consistent.

But we can't fight city hall so to speak - and will still need to work with what we have for now to get overall improvements.

#5 2 years ago

One of the easiest things we see done is a simple backbox speaker swap. So we will start with that.

First step - Just swap out back box speakers with a quality set of 4" speakers. A simple bolt in and the easiest option.

I decided to try the 4" Kicker 46CSC44 speakers. These are great little speakers. They are flush mountable and will be a direct bolt in without any adapters needed. At $65 a pair they are not the cheapest speakers available.. They will be a big improvement in quality over stock. If these don't provide us some good data then odds of a cheaper speaker set doing much better will be low. The same goes for a more expensive set.

Pro's - much improved sound accross the board. With a big standout improvement in the mid and higher ranges. It is very true that this upgrade brought out new details in the GZ audio tracks that did not stand out before. Louder, clearer and brighter. But not Rocking..

Con's - There isn't much mid bass to be had. It's not a speaker quality thing - it's a size thing, and how the back box makes a pretty poor enclosure. Trying to balance the new found mid range with the stock sub woofer took some time. At lower volumes a nice balance could be found. However; at higher volumes the Kickers just walked away from the stock subwoofer and as a whole it just didn't sound right. Another problem - was with the erratic soundtracks on Godzilla. Finding a balance that worked accross all of the soundtracks was difficult. But this is not the speakers fault.

Overall - a good, cheap, and relatively quick mod to improve sound quality overall. However it is better suited to lower lower(normal?) volumes.

Next step, upgrade to a bigger 5.25" see if we can take some balancing load off the stock woofer.

Note - don't focus on the messy wiring. I plan to test lots of combinations and will not be concerned with soldering and tidying everything up.

20220108_131403 (resized).jpg20220108_131403 (resized).jpg20220108_131419 (resized).jpg20220108_131419 (resized).jpg20220108_135746 (resized).jpg20220108_135746 (resized).jpg

#6 2 years ago

Following

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from davegauth:

I agree with this. The source material for GZ is very erratic. Deadpool is much better and consistent.
    But we can't fight city hall so to speak - and will still need to work with what we have for now to get overall improvements.

Yeah, I mentioned my upgrades in the Godzilla thread. Deadpool improvements are excellent. Same parts in AIQ and there is some "crackling" especially when Thanos talks... probably source material compression or whatnot. The soundtrack in Deadpool is just so much better all the way around than AIQ unfortunately.

Looking forward to your testing and results.

#8 2 years ago

I used one of these guys
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I4EF1BC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title

hooked it to the incoming cabinet speaker line and then to the amplifier and then to the an enclosed shallow mount 8" sub. worked pretty well.
    Did it to a JJP and a stern spike 2 so far.

enlosed sub (used kicker brand also.)
    https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-TS-SWX251-Shallow-Subwoofer-Enclosure/dp/B006NQBQTY/ref=sr_1_3

amplifier plugged it into the 115v in the backbox... Think I made a quick connect where the bill acceptor usually plugs in.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08D6G9CB7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title

can always get a lepai hifi amp if your doing 4 channel.

no real wrong way to do it.

#9 2 years ago

DIY Speaker mod Round 2..

FREE SUB UPGRADE, well kinda....

I mentioned I would try out some 5.25" speakers in the back box for the next post. But now that I was trying to push things I ran into a problem that was driving me nuts! So like a dog distracted by a squirrel.....

Even at what I would consider lower volumes I was getting that familiar crackle when a speaker is reaching its limits.. I thought surely this shouldn't be the case unless I already blew the speaker. After some looking - the problem was with the plastic speaker mesh Stern uses between the cabinet and the speaker. The cone and the mesh are way too close together, once the cone gets moving the two of them strike a nice crispy vibe together.

If you think this could be the case with one of your pins and want to test it - use the DJ mixer and turn up the volume to replicate the suspected crackling. Use a pick to pull the plastic mesh away from the speaker. If the sound goes away you have a free mod coming.. Just undo the 4 nuts holding the woofer in and remove the mesh. Now you can push the stock woofer even further.

Ok - this fix got me back on track. Pushing the woofer more led me to the next unforeseen issue. The stock woofer acts more like a mid bass, and its a mess. It seems to cover a range from about 125-4k ish. But it's a garbled spongy sounding disaster, it doesn't particularly stand out for anything other than providing filler noise between those frequencies. Which led to unforeseen issue #2 - It throws allot of this garbled noise up through the backbox. Try this for yourself, turn your backbox speakers off using the fader in the utilities menu. Turn up the volume- listen to all that trash sound that emanates from the back box. You'll probably question yourself if the back box speakers were actually off.

I found that the backbox speaker upgrades I was testing sounded good by themselves but sounded like crap once I tried bringing in the stock woofer to balance everything out. The reverberating trash coming up the backbox made everything sound so off and disconnected.

Conclusion - Upgrading backbox speakers themselves may not be worth it. There is no doubt that new backbox speakers will sound better than the stock ones. Even given less than ideal situations. But they are too small to provide a good full sound by themselves. As you bring the stock woofer into play to try filling in the gap, things just sound wrong. Finding that balance was really difficult and it only worked on lower volumes.

Oddly - the crappy backbox speakers and crappy woofer harmonize and suck really well together...

Anyway - food for thought. Next post I'll add a new sub to the mix and see what happens.

20220109_143654 (resized).jpg20220109_143654 (resized).jpg
    #10 2 years ago
    Quoted from awesome1:

Yeah, I mentioned my upgrades in the Godzilla thread. Deadpool improvements are excellent. Same parts in AIQ and there is some "crackling" especially when Thanos talks... probably source material compression or whatnot. The soundtrack in Deadpool is just so much better all the way around than AIQ unfortunately.
    Looking forward to your testing and results.

I do think I'm going to swing back around and try out your combo. Will be a good comparison and maybe a first level given the price points.

Glad you can confirm the Deadpool track is a cleaner track. Maybe i'll take a whack at pinball browser and change out the music on GZ after all this is done.

#11 2 years ago

hocuslocus and anyone else - By all means post up pics and links to whatever you did for a DIY upgrade. The more the merrier.

hocus - good stuff, thanks for sharing all the links too.

#12 2 years ago

Good thread... following

#13 2 years ago

Indeed

#14 2 years ago

following. i don't know jack about upgrading audio in pins. this is a great 101 for me. thanks for doing this!

#15 2 years ago

Do you make any changes to the EQ in the utilities menu or just leave it at default?

#16 2 years ago

Before there was Pinwoofer, before Flipper Fidelity, before even PinballPro, there was the original DIY: my amplified AFM that I hauled to Expo 20 years ago.

There was nothing else like it... you could hear martians dying clear across the hall. Most people really enjoyed it and I brought it back for a couple more Expos. This is the game that started the trend for better pinball audio. I documented the build on RGP for others to use, and later did my Demo Man and STTNG. Eventually PinballPro came out with their original unamplified kits, and the pinball audio aftermarket was born. The AFM upgrade still works great!

(Also includes an early flipper cooling prototype!)

afmaudio (resized).pngafmaudio (resized).png
    #17 2 years ago
    Quoted from davegauth:

I do think I'm going to swing back around and try out your combo. Will be a good comparison and maybe a first level given the price points.
    Glad you can confirm the Deadpool track is a cleaner track. Maybe i'll take a whack at pinball browser and change out the music on GZ after all this is done.

davegauth posting my setup here for documentation purposes. These are lower cost options, but in my experience offer excellent improvement over factory Pro/Premium setups. Also note - I run Speaker Light Kits and these will clear the power supply on the right side of the backbox.

I've had good success on a few machines using the Pyle PL412BK 4" speakers for the backbox and Skar Audio FSX8-4 8" Mid-Range Woofer for the cabinet. Around $50 - $60 total for those. I use 8 ohm setting for cab and 4 ohm for backbox and tweak settings to my liking.
    Also use a Monoprice 8" or 12" for an external powered sub ($70 - $140)... and of course shaker as well!

#18 2 years ago

For current upgrades, HocusLocus has the right idea with purchasing a speaker-level to line out converter. This lets you connect directly to the backbox speaker leads and avoid messing with the Spike2 board. Get one of those, connect the inputs to the backbox speaker leads, and run the line out to your amp. Nowadays, the amplifier/equalizers I used aren't available, but there are plenty of small 2.1 amps to use, like this Lepai model:

https://www.parts-express.com/Lepai-LP-168HA-2.1-2x40W-Amplifier-1x68W-Sub-Output-310-308

You would connect the Lepai directly to replacement backbox speakers and a new cabinet subwoofer. Here are all of Parts Express's 4" speakers:

https://www.parts-express.com/car-audio/car-speakers-subwoofers/dash-door-deck-car-speakers/speakersize/4.0

Lately I've been getting the Visaton FX-10s. These have the tweeter flush with the surround ring, so you can install them behind the Stern grilles no problem. They sound good and are only $20ea.

https://www.parts-express.com/Visaton-FX10-4-Coaxial-Speaker-292-674

For the cabinet sub, you don't really need to spend a lot. $20-$30 subs work fine. Here are all of Parts Express' 8" subs:

https://www.parts-express.com/car-audio/car-speakers-subwoofers/car-subwoofer-speakers/nominaldiameter/8

This Pyle is only $20 and would be fine in a pinball application. You can always spend more but I have yet to blow a sub in a pinball.

https://www.parts-express.com/Pyle-PLPW8D-Power-8-800-Watt-DVC-Subwoofer-267-7452

I recommend removing the plastic grille to keep the sub cone from buzzing it. Also, if the game is a Spike 2, go into the settings and set for 4 ohm and remove any equalizer or filter settings. Use the bass/treble/sub controls on the amp to adjust the sound... I wouldn't trust the digital adjustments the game makes.

#19 2 years ago

Pinballmonkey - yep, I've been using the EQ to dial things in. Use the fader to turn the volume to either speaker off - then use the EQ to tune in the set of speakers you are working with. When done use the fader to level out the sound between the backbox and cabinet. A little final tweaking when both are running and that's the best you will get it without adding more gear.

Be sure to set things and check it at different volume levels to find a good compromise. (Tuning at lower volumes may not sound the same at higher volumes)

metallik you are the OG

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from davegauth:

metallik you are the OG

I may have been first, but TheKorn completely knocked it outta the park later on.. (2nd pic)

https://www.pinballnews.com/shows/expo2010/index2.html

#21 2 years ago
    Quoted from Xenon75:

I chatted with Jerry Thompson (sound designer on Godzilla) about this. I asked him what quality/resolution he mixed at and how it gets stored in the game, expecting his answer to be a low bit rate MP3. He surprised me by saying CD quality 16 bit/44kHz, and that the main issue with the sound in the pin other than the inexpensive stock speakers is the weak amp in the Spike 2 system.

I already have replaced the speakers and my next plan is to install an amplifier using a Pinnovator's sub-out kit to provide the input. After looking at the main pinball-specific aftermarket amp I have found what appears to be a close cousin on Amazon; the Fosi Audio BT30D for $89.99. It has 2 channels at 50 watts for the backbox speakers and 1 channel at 100 watts for the cabinet woofer, with separate sub low pass and volume trim controls.

Any thoughts about this amp and my plan?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K7NJ4QN/

Fosi Audio BT30DFosi Audio BT30D

#22 2 years ago

Gogo: I bought a similar "better" amp from parts express for my Maiden, and it shit the bed after about 10 months. The cheap Lepais are still working fine, except for a little noise in the controls. Even when it worked, the bigger amp didn't sound noticeably better than the cheaper one.

This is the one that failed early: https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-DTA-2.1BT2-100W-2.1-Class-D-Bluetooth-Amplifier-with-Sub-Frequency-Adjustment-300-3831 The one you're looking at probably has the same innards (both are 24v, etc)

#23 2 years ago
    Quoted from Gogojohnnyquack:

I chatted with Jerry Thompson (sound designer on Godzilla) about this. I asked him what quality/resolution he mixed at and how it gets stored in the game, expecting his answer to be a low bit rate MP3. He surprised me by saying CD quality 16 bit/44kHz, and that the main issue with the sound in the pin other than the inexpensive stock speakers is the weak amp in the Spike 2 system.
    I already have replaced the speakers and my next plan is to install an amplifier using a Pinnovator's sub-out kit to provide the input. After looking at the main pinball-specific aftermarket amp I have found what appears to be a close cousin on Amazon; the Fosi Audio BT30D for $89.99. It has 2 channels at 50 watts for the backbox speakers and 1 channel at 100 watts for the cabinet woofer, with separate sub low pass and volume trim controls.
    amazon.com link »
    [quoted image]

A while ago I spent a good amount of time looking around for reviews on lower end amps and most rate poorly. I found this Blaupunkt performed surprisingly well and cost the same as the one you mention. I have had on my list for a while, so haven't tried it for myself.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q28CNSN/

It's big and doofy looking, but should be way more clean sound than I can stand in a game. The only slight downside is that it doesn't have a line out for an external sub. My plan is to take the line out from the Spike2 board to the amp and y-split one channel to go directly to an external sub.

Speaking of external sub, I added one of these 4-way active mixers to connect four games to my extra obnoxious 12" powered sub. It has individual mixer controls to balance the sound between games. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08393DLGV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title

#24 2 years ago

How big of a speaker can you fit in a Spike2 backbox? If there's room for 6x9's...

#25 2 years ago

Great to have a dedicated thread to this topic.
    My ears are super sensitive to poor sound. and I absolutely love any DIY solution that can improve it on my GZ PRO.

I have swapped the Backbox speakers to the LE Kenwoods and removed the grill underneath (did that a long time ago as I discovered the same thing you experienced with the crackling noises).
    These to things of cause improved the sound, but I find it SO hard to tweak settings decently. the speech and sounds still hits some crazy highs some times.
    And like you say the backbox and cabinet speakers work so poorly together and mix so bad and doesn't even filter correct .

Hoping to find a decent solution here so I can just concentrate on playing

#26 2 years ago
    Quoted from hocuslocus:

I used one of these guys
    amazon.com link »
    hooked it to the incoming cabinet speaker line and then to the amplifier and then to the an enclosed shallow mount 8" sub. worked pretty well.
    Did it to a JJP and a stern spike 2 so far.
    enlosed sub (used kicker brand also.)
    amazon.com link »
    amplifier plugged it into the 115v in the backbox... Think I made a quick connect where the bill acceptor usually plugs in.
    amazon.com link »
    can always get a lepai hifi amp if your doing 4 channel.
    no real wrong way to do it.

I have a similar configuration but hooked the exact same amp to the stock LE cab speaker. I found that for good sound i need to operate the amp on full freq setting, otherwise loose too much of the mids.

Its a huge improvement and bass enhancement because the CPU board is just not enough juice for the stock speaker. It can take much more.

BTW you dont need this converter thing, because the board has a direct line level output at CN5. I use an adapter cable like this
    https://www.pinsound.org/shop/de/64-subwoofer-line-out-stern-spike.html

Are you operating the enclosed sub in addition to the stock cab speaker? And then using sub setting on amp?

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from WizzardRob:

I have a similar configuration but hooked the exact same amp to the stock LE cab speaker. I found that for good sound i need to operate the amp on full freq setting, otherwise loose too much of the mids.
    Its a huge improvement and bass enhancement because the CPU board is just not enough juice for the stock speaker. It can take much more.
    BTW you dont need this converter thing, because the board has a direct line level output at CN5. I use an adapter cable like this
    https://www.pinsound.org/shop/de/64-subwoofer-line-out-stern-spike.html
    Are you operating the enclosed sub in addition to the stock cab speaker? And then using sub setting on amp?

Cool didn't know pinsound had that board. I'd probably use it if I was doing the backbox speakers also, but I'm cool with the stock spike amp for the backbox speakers for now. Might do that later with the few games that clip on me, think jurassic park is one of them. If you look at the spike board schematic there is a separate amp for the backbox speakers and the cabinet woofer. Think they are rated at 45W.... but I don't 100% remember. Doing this might also help take some of the load off the backbox amp if you drop the bass down and use the backbox mainly for mid and high range. Haven't had any clipping issues with the game its on now, but we'll see.

no I take out the open air woofer, I just drill this velcro stuff into the 4 corners of the box that touch the cab. (since you can't really stick anything on that fabric)
    https://www.amazon.com/3M-799198554562-RF6761-Extreme-Fasteners/dp/B00IGIUOWC/ref=asc_df_B00IGIUOWC/
    clean the cab, and put this on the bottom. you can always use a mounting bracket, but I usually try to make everything I do reversible without leaving scars on the game itself. Fits perfectly btwn the playfield rails (and isn't moving anywhere), the bass is a lot cleaner than an open air I think.

Just make sure you use that anti-rattle tape on the playfield glass. As far as the amp, its on pbtl for wider range on the sub. I thought it sounded better, but its all about personal preference.

#29 2 years ago
    Quoted from Gogojohnnyquack:

amazon.com link »
    [quoted image]

Main problem is Bluetooth has latency. It might not bother you that much but sound effects and callouts will be out of sync with the light show and media display.

#30 2 years ago
    Quoted from hocuslocus:

Cool didn't know pinsound had that board. I'd probably use it if I was doing the backbox speakers also, but I'm cool with the stock spike amp for the backbox speakers for now. Might do that later with the few games that clip on me, think jurassic park is one of them. If you look at the spike board schematic there is a separate amp for the backbox speakers and the cabinet woofer. Think they are rated at 45W.... but I don't 100% remember. Doing this might also help take some of the load off the backbox amp if you drop the bass down and use the backbox mainly for mid and high range. Haven't had any clipping issues with the game its on now, but we'll see.
    no I take out the open air woofer, I just drill this velcro stuff into the 4 corners of the box that touch the cab. (since you can't really stick anything on that fabric)
    amazon.com link »
    clean the cab, and put this on the bottom. you can always use a mounting bracket, but I usually try to make everything I do reversible without leaving scars on the game itself. Fits perfectly btwn the playfield rails (and isn't moving anywhere), the bass is a lot cleaner than an open air I think.
    Just make sure you use that anti-rattle tape on the playfield glass. As far as the amp, its on pbtl for wider range on the sub. I thought it sounded better, but its all about personal preference.

Dont know if i understand you correctly, pinsound part is not a board, its just an adapter connected to CN5 on the Spike cpu board.

I leave the backbox speakers completely alone. I disconnect the cabinet speaker from spike, connect the pinsound adapter subwoofer out to the little amp. Connect the amp to the cabinet speaker.

I set the little amp switch to full freq because it seems that the spike subwoofer out is really a mid-to-low-out just software mixed. If i switch the amp to sub mode the sound is missing alot depth because the cabinet speaker is not really a subwoofer but takes part in the overall sound

#31 2 years ago

i had always thought that the improvements you can get from just adding speakers is not going to yield much because of the source file and the weak amplification (crap in, crap out). I do not own a pinwoofer system, but I believe he adds amplification and that's one reason why it sounds so good. Rather than start by adding speakers, for DIY I think the better first step is to try to add amplification, which I don't know how to do.

#32 2 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

i had always thought that the improvements you can get from just adding speakers is not going to yield much because of the source file and the weak amplification (crap in, crap out). I do not own a pinwoofer system, but I believe he adds amplification and that's one reason why it sounds so good. Rather than start by adding speakers, for DIY I think the better first step is to try to add amplification, which I don't know how to do.

It's an interesting thought to try amplification first.

I'm not optimistic the stock paper full range speakers are going to last very long though. Still could be interesting to see the actual results.. I may try this test when I move to the amplification stage.

#33 2 years ago
    Quoted from davegauth:

Oddly - the crappy backbox speakers and crappy woofer harmonize and suck really well together...

Hahaha!

Quoted from Xenon75:

I think this may be true with pins that were never designed for better sound, but if Stern makes a Pro with crappy speakers and an LE with better speakers, I think it's safe to say the source material -should- be high quality on the Spike 2 pins the OP is discussing.

#34 2 years ago
    Quoted from FlippyD:

Main problem is Bluetooth has latency. It might not bother you that much but sound effects and callouts will be out of sync with the light show and media display.

Thanks, FlippyD. I wasn't planning on using the Bluetooth feature. The amp would be fed by the audio out of the Pinnovators adaptor or the line out at CN5 (though I can't find it!).

I'm assuming that CN5 has an 1/8" mini-jack stereo connector?

#35 2 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Before there was Pinwoofer, before Flipper Fidelity, before even PinballPro, there was the original DIY: my amplified AFM that I hauled to Expo 20 years ago.
    There was nothing else like it... you could hear martians dying clear across the hall. Most people really enjoyed it and I brought it back for a couple more Expos. This is the game that started the trend for better pinball audio. I documented the build on RGP for others to use, and later did my Demo Man and STTNG. Eventually PinballPro came out with their original unamplified kits, and the pinball audio aftermarket was born. The AFM upgrade still works great!
    (Also includes an early flipper cooling prototype!)[quoted image]

Thanks @metallik. I have your design on my AFM since way back and it works great. There is so much added bass that it feels like a shaker motor.

Also put this on my Congo and the drum track is amazing. Hopefully the current owner is still enjoying it.

I have a couple more amps/speaker sets to eventually upgrade Shadow and TZ.

#36 2 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

Hey Lermods !

I acknowledge that this creative discussion is geared towards those who want to strike out and DIY. I agree that upgrading speakers alone is mostly a disappointment. Opinions vary but mine is that perhaps 25% of the potential of the track can be unlocked with speaker upgrades. The balance, PinWoofer has solved. We've been doing this long enough to have identified and addressed the common problems in pinball audio and have well engineered solutions to do so. Our system is turnkey (with detailed install videos and instructions) and for most, takes 30-60 minutes to get up and running and bam, you're back to playing pinball with improved presence and clarity in your audio.

DIY'ers face challenges selecting the right gear, creating connectors and wiring harnesses and the vital the selection a clean power solution. Even if you do everything "right", it is possible to end up with a noisy system due to ground loops and virtual ground issues. There are a number of other pitfalls if you don't have a good plan as you go along.

We're seeing a striking number of new people in the hobby and many may be unfamiliar with the risk of working around the electronics. As I read through this I have some concerns over the potential to wire up in a way that does damage to your CPU node / amplifier board. We've had so many calls from guys who have made mistakes or made "creative" decisions and have ended up with some pretty significant damage to their CPU ($500-$800 repair / replacement cost). Some of the cheap Chinese stuff out there is pretty low quality and more importantly, lack sufficient testing and screening to ensure that you don't put your electronics in jeopardy. (Customer scare photos below.)

Please do not take any of this as a knock and I'm not trying to discourage anyone, but we were mentioned and I've tried to highlight the good and the bad. There is a place for DIY but ask yourself if you are up to it and if the potential risks are acceptable. We benefit greatly from all of the emphasis that's put into pinball audio so keep up the discussion!

Thanks for your time,

Dan
    https://PinWoofer.com
    [email protected]
    +1 208-855-0346, 9am - 5pm MST, Mon - Fri

Dam (resized).jpgDam (resized).jpg
    #37 2 years ago

BUSINESS OWNERS SELLING SOUND SOLUTUONS.

PLEASE DO NOT POST IN THIS THREAD.

No offense guys, it's not a knock on your companies , knowledge, products or solutions.

Thanks for your understanding.

#38 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinWoofer:

Even if you do everything "right", it is possible to end up with a noisy system due to ground loops and virtual ground issues.

Yes, I've found on the newer Spike and SAM games, you have to connect the amp chassis to the game's ground braid, or else you get a hum. The older WPC games didn't have this issue as much. Some amps have a ground screw to use, but if it doesn't, just back one of the housing screws out and connect the wire to it, then to the ground braid.

#39 2 years ago

Its pretty safe to take the power from the main cabinet power switch, obviously dont take power from the boards or low ampere connections somewhere

Pinwoofer is really cool and sorted out but it has a premium cost to it. I like to do some 2$ wiring harnesses myself

#40 2 years ago
    Quoted from WizzardRob:

Dont know if i understand you correctly, pinsound part is not a board, its just an adapter connected to CN5 on the Spike cpu board.
    I leave the backbox speakers completely alone. I disconnect the cabinet speaker from spike, connect the pinsound adapter subwoofer out to the little amp. Connect the amp to the cabinet speaker.
    I set the little amp switch to full freq because it seems that the spike subwoofer out is really a mid-to-low-out just software mixed. If i switch the amp to sub mode the sound is missing alot depth because the cabinet speaker is not really a subwoofer but takes part in the overall sound

Yeah adapter is what I meant. Your probably right about that, it sounds fine with it in sub mode, but for sure feels like there is something missing.

#41 2 years ago

DIY sound upgrades round 3

I was getting frustrated with the stock woofer muddling up the sound of the new back box speakers. If we don't address this now, I don't think any additional levels of improvements will make any sense. It's like trying to listen to a vocalist do a solo while garbage trucks drive around behind the stage...

We could try to help this by adding to a separate powered subwoofer that can live under the pin for around $150-$200. It'll give us better base and fill out the sound spectrum in the lower subwoofer frequency range. But I'm not sure this is a great option just yet. It's expensive and that stock woofer will still be howling away in the background.

It's time to throw down with a new bolt in sub-woofer.

Subwoofers present a challenge in a pin. First, it's by no means an ideal enclosure. Second, they are power hungry and require a lot of power to truly shine. Third, good subs get expensive fast.

I found a renewed JBL Stage 810 for $50. A pretty good price for a solid upper-mid level subwoofer. If this nice JBL didn't work, there is no hope for anything lower/cheaper making a difference. Plus, I'm bolting these in with no amplification or additional hardware of any kind. Take out the stock woofer and put this in its place, that's it.

So how did it go - Ohhhhhh Myyyyyyyy Myyy Myy... This did the trick and then some. The pin is now coming alive. The base is very tight and punchy, you can feel it in your hands. It also cuts off closer to 500-1k without any filtering. This means much less mid is being created less projection through the backbox. What does make it up the backbox is nice and crisp and doesn't interfere or compete with the backbox speakers.

Pro's - This is the missing piece needed to make upgrading speakers worthwhile. Once balanced with the backbox speakers they stayed that way through all volume levels. Even lower volume levels still gave that nice bass/punch feel. There is also a tactile feel that is delivered to your hands. When the shaker and the soundtrack sync up - it's like having a shaker on roids. It'll make you look at your machine and say "wow - that's different"

Con's - It is a power-hungry sub. Even though it's 4ohms, you will need to run it as 8ohm to be able to balance more evenly with the back box speakers running at 4ohm. Mounting is not a simple bolt in replacement. The bolts in the cabinet will need to be replaced with longer ones, as the lip on this JBL is really thick. Alternatively, it's possible to clamp it down from the inside with some screws and toe clamps.

Overall - Speaker upgrades may only be worth it if you also change out that crappy woofer. Once you do - it just opens everything up. With this setup we are still 100% bolt in. For about $115ish dollars invested it's an incredible bang for the buck improvement. Many people could stop here and be really happy.

Next up - I'll get back to testing some quality 5.25" speaker upgrade options.

20220109_150149 (resized).jpg20220109_150149 (resized).jpg20220109_150215 (resized).jpg20220109_150215 (resized).jpg20220109_154032 (resized).jpg20220109_154032 (resized).jpg20220109_154100 (resized).jpg20220109_154100 (resized).jpg
    #42 2 years ago

http://pinballbash.com/forum/index.php?topic=21654.0

Troy over on pinball bash posted some info on upgrading the subwoofer on spike machines and adding a crossover. My LZ actually came from him and has the upgraded sub with crossover. It sounds pretty good to me.

#43 2 years ago

If you're just replacing speakers, Spike gives high/low filter options in the sound setup. Enabling these should remove the need for crossovers, but installing one certainly won't hurt.

#44 2 years ago

Not Spike2, but related:

I modified a DCS board with a filter enable switch for the backbox. Stock speakers sound much better with it disabled, expect full range speakers to perform better when provided with a full range signal.

If you are really serious about audio and using a DCS board, populate the audio-out header and run that signal to an amplifier. Turn the in-game audio up to the high 50's. These machines use digital attenuation, so the higher the volume the fewer bits getting truncated off the signal.

#45 2 years ago
    Quoted from DudeRegular:

http://pinballbash.com/forum/index.php?topic=21654.0
    Troy over on pinball bash posted some info on upgrading the subwoofer on spike machines and adding a crossover. My LZ actually came from him and has the upgraded sub with crossover. It sounds pretty good to me.

Any thoughts to this crossover with upgraded back box speakers? I’m trying to find a subwoofer under $40 for the cabinet as well

Dayton Audio 800-LPF-4 Low Pass... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077F5CK4C

#46 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballmonkey:

Any thoughts to this crossover with upgraded back box speakers? I’m trying to find a subwoofer under $40 for the cabinet as well
    Dayton Audio 800-LPF-4 Low Pass... amazon.com link »

800Hz is too high for a subwoofer, you want something less than 200.

Earlier link references this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Nippon-HC-101-channel-Subwoofer-Crossover/dp/B009D9KHZ2

#47 2 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

800Hz is too high for a subwoofer, you want something less than 200.
    Earlier link references this one:
    amazon.com link »

Thanks

#48 2 years ago
    Quoted from davegauth:

DIY sound upgrades round 3
    I was getting frustrated with the stock woofer muddling up the sound of the new back box speakers. If we don't address this now, I don't think any additional levels of improvements will make any sense. It's like trying to listen to a vocalist do a solo while garbage trucks drive around behind the stage...
    We could try to help this by adding to a separate powered subwoofer that can live under the pin for around $150-$200. It'll give us better base and fill out the sound spectrum in the lower subwoofer frequency range. But I'm not sure this is a great option just yet. It's expensive and that stock woofer will still be howling away in the background.
    It's time to throw down with a new bolt in sub-woofer.
    Subwoofers present a challenge in a pin. First, it's by no means an ideal enclosure. Second, they are power hungry and require a lot of power to truly shine. Third, good subs get expensive fast.
    I found a renewed JBL Stage 810 for $50. A pretty good price for a solid upper-mid level subwoofer. If this nice JBL didn't work, there is no hope for anything lower/cheaper making a difference. Plus, I'm bolting these in with no amplification or additional hardware of any kind. Take out the stock woofer and put this in its place, that's it.
    So how did it go - Ohhhhhh Myyyyyyyy Myyy Myy... This did the trick and then some. The pin is now coming alive. The base is very tight and punchy, you can feel it in your hands. It also cuts off closer to 500-1k without any filtering. This means much less mid is being created less projection through the backbox. What does make it up the backbox is nice and crisp and doesn't interfere or compete with the backbox speakers.
    Pro's - This is the missing piece needed to make upgrading speakers worthwhile. Once balanced with the backbox speakers they stayed that way through all volume levels. Even lower volume levels still gave that nice bass/punch feel. There is also a tactile feel that is delivered to your hands. When the shaker and the soundtrack sync up - it's like having a shaker on roids. It'll make you look at your machine and say "wow - that's different"
    Con's - It is a power-hungry sub. Even though it's 4ohms, you will need to run it as 8ohm to be able to balance more evenly with the back box speakers running at 4ohm. Mounting is not a simple bolt in replacement. The bolts in the cabinet will need to be replaced with longer ones, as the lip on this JBL is really thick. Alternatively, it's possible to clamp it down from the inside with some screws and toe clamps.
    Overall - Speaker upgrades may only be worth it if you also change out that crappy woofer. Once you do - it just opens everything up. With this setup we are still 100% bolt in. For about $115ish dollars invested it's an incredible bang for the buck improvement. Many people could stop here and be really happy.
    Next up - I'll get back to testing some quality 5.25" speaker upgrade options.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Enjoying your progress and results. Also enjoy your writing style.

Interested if your thoughts will be similar to mine... I originally would go with a subwoofer replacement for the cabinet speaker even though I also added an external sub. After a bit I decided to try more of a mid-range woofer in the cab and liked it better. Still has the base feeling in your hands, even though the external sub provides more punch, but don't lose that midrange. I also use 8 ohm setting for the cab speaker, but I typically only run my games in the 13-18 volume range which is plenty loud for my bedroom game room.
    I'm no audiophile and I stay on the lower end of the budget spectrum, but do enjoy the improved sound experience. Interested to see what your best bang for the buck results are!

#49 2 years ago

I have a chunky 8” JBL sub in my IMVE with sub filter that came with it, it didn’t sound much better than really cheap subs that I use. I added kicker 4” backbox speakers that was a big improvement and easily added. Normally use decent 3 ohm JBL’s in parallel but they need a spacer.

Never been happy with the in cabinet subs although adding a better speaker helps so added a 15” external sub that I had spare, makes the cab subs sound crap and insignificant! Can easily be overpowering but once you get the level to your liking it’s all good.
    Connected to 4 pins, forget the glass shaking now it’s the room.

C250D7E9-C51B-42DC-98A3-ED5BED7A6B4D (resized).jpegC250D7E9-C51B-42DC-98A3-ED5BED7A6B4D (resized).jpeg

#50 2 years ago
    Quoted from awesome1:

Enjoying your progress and results. Also enjoy your writing style.
    Interested if your thoughts will be similar to mine... I originally would go with a subwoofer replacement for the cabinet speaker even though I also added an external sub. After a bit I decided to try more of a mid-range woofer in the cab and liked it better. Still has the base feeling in your hands, even though the external sub provides more punch, but don't lose that midrange. I also use 8 ohm setting for the cab speaker, but I typically only run my games in the 13-18 volume range which is plenty loud for my bedroom game room.
    I'm no audiophile and I stay on the lower end of the budget spectrum, but do enjoy the improved sound experience. Interested to see what your best bang for the buck results are!

I think what most people do is just use the Cabinet Speaker connections and extend a wire in parallel to an external powered sub. Insanely easy and gives that powerful bass. The external subwoofer is a real subwoofer and can be adjustet for bass only with Frequency cut-off at 80-120Hz. The Cabinet Speaker is still active for the mid- to low frequencies. Plus you can adjust the bass intensity independent from internal sound volume.

In fact a common misunderstanding is that the cabinet speaker is a subwoofer. It is not, it is used almost as a full range speaker, cut-off to 250Hz by factory standard. It is just the sound base for otherwise very flat and thin backbox speakers. Using a dedicated amp is a way to increase the cabinet volume beyond the restricted capabilities of the Spike board amp. The Speaker is underpowered and can be given a little more overall punch and that also increases bass a little.

I dont need the overwhelming bass of an external subwoofer and prefer an internal stand alone solution.

There are 1,822 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 37.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/improving-sound-quality-the-diy-route?hl=arcyallen and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.