Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,822 posts
  • 247 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 days ago by Ollulanus
  • Topic is favorited by 377 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1701 (resized).jpeg
    504783-a257170fca2168983d2a6e1bbfec3f44 (resized).jpg
    received_6742998335800442 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    320-3350_HR_0.default (resized).jpg
    607DEEC4-36DB-45AA-8B61-018875778767 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    slika-1109725-631a4b9a8ef1e-velika-3077129719 (resized).jpg
    5580B012-A4F2-4FA4-ADF1-E8801A418BC1 (resized).jpeg
    8CDE1FF8-62E4-40F4-85EF-E93F22435908 (resized).jpeg
    C5D15E76-AC5F-4258-BC0F-0ECB29263D5B (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20240222-214420_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    February 2024 DIY Super Kit (resized).jpg
    20240218_102558 (resized).jpg
    20240218_101946 (resized).jpg
    20240218_101928 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 1,822 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 37.
    #51 2 years ago
    Quoted from WizzardRob:

I dont need the overwhelming bass of an external subwoofer and prefer an internal stand alone solution.

It will not be overwhelming if you adjust it low but the sound will be much more rounded, I just happen to like it going through me as I’ve had sound systems since the 80’s.
    Shame they don’t build them like Spooky’s TNA with the cab speaker in a box.

#52 2 years ago
    Quoted from davegauth:

Plus, I'm bolting these in with no amplification or additional hardware of any kind. Take out the stock woofer and put this in its place, that's it.

I'm absolutely shocked this actually sounds decent. Usually when you take a small, cheap, -efficient- sub out and put in a beefy sub (that's usually much less efficient) it just doesn't work without added power. Interesting.

#53 2 years ago
    Quoted from arcyallen:

I'm absolutely shocked this actually sounds decent. Usually when you take a small, cheap, -efficient- sub out and put in a beefy sub (that's usually much less efficient) it just doesn't work without added power. Interesting.

Me too - but there is a huge leap being taken from the 1950s paper cone full range speakers and the little Stern amp that could - gave a little more.

I would be willing to bet many people could/would stop here and be really happy with the results.

#54 2 years ago

Next up - some 5.25" speakers arrived to test out and compare.

I didn't purchase any adapter plates or rings as I want to climb the DIY ladder. We can see if a DIY route is even a good idea versus just purchasing a ready made mounting solution.

20220114_101153 (resized).jpg20220114_101153 (resized).jpg
    #55 2 years ago

I replaced the stock backbox speakers in my Godzilla Pro with a pair of Pyle 5.25" speakers. I changed the ohm setting to 4 in the volume menu, but I discovered that every time I turn the game off, it changes back to the 8 ohm setting. Has anyone else experienced this?

#56 2 years ago
    Quoted from davegauth:

Next up - some 5.25" speakers arrived to test out and compare.
    I didn't purchase any adapter plates or rings as I want to climb the DIY ladder. We can see if a DIY route is even a good idea versus just purchasing a ready made mounting solution.[quoted image]

I got some foam board from Micheals for my pyle back box speakers to fill in the gap.
    but you will need to use some standoffs for the speakers unless those are flat

I used a 89c foam board from Micheal’s and cut it to the speakers size.
    Had to use some standoffs for the speakers

3ABAADFB-2C3B-4144-93F6-F700A05C9377 (resized).jpeg3ABAADFB-2C3B-4144-93F6-F700A05C9377 (resized).jpegE206C476-E8EC-4F8B-A85C-F8C732C7359C (resized).jpegE206C476-E8EC-4F8B-A85C-F8C732C7359C (resized).jpeg
    #57 2 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

For current upgrades, HocusLocus has the right idea with purchasing a speaker-level to line out converter. This lets you connect directly to the backbox speaker leads and avoid messing with the Spike2 board. Get one of those, connect the inputs to the backbox speaker leads, and run the line out to your amp. Nowadays, the amplifier/equalizers I used aren't available, but there are plenty of small 2.1 amps to use, like this Lepai model:
    https://www.parts-express.com/Lepai-LP-168HA-2.1-2x40W-Amplifier-1x68W-Sub-Output-310-308
    You would connect the Lepai directly to replacement backbox speakers and a new cabinet subwoofer. Here are all of Parts Express's 4" speakers:
    https://www.parts-express.com/car-audio/car-speakers-subwoofers/dash-door-deck-car-speakers/speakersize/4.0
    Lately I've been getting the Visaton FX-10s. These have the tweeter flush with the surround ring, so you can install them behind the Stern grilles no problem. They sound good and are only $20ea.
    https://www.parts-express.com/Visaton-FX10-4-Coaxial-Speaker-292-674
    For the cabinet sub, you don't really need to spend a lot. $20-$30 subs work fine. Here are all of Parts Express' 8" subs:
    https://www.parts-express.com/car-audio/car-speakers-subwoofers/car-subwoofer-speakers/nominaldiameter/8
    This Pyle is only $20 and would be fine in a pinball application. You can always spend more but I have yet to blow a sub in a pinball.
    https://www.parts-express.com/Pyle-PLPW8D-Power-8-800-Watt-DVC-Subwoofer-267-7452
    I recommend removing the plastic grille to keep the sub cone from buzzing it. Also, if the game is a Spike 2, go into the settings and set for 4 ohm and remove any equalizer or filter settings. Use the bass/treble/sub controls on the amp to adjust the sound... I wouldn't trust the digital adjustments the game makes.

How would you setup the Lepai on the machine? trying to visualize how to connect the cables

thanks

#58 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballmonkey:

I got some foam board from Micheals for my pyle back box speakers to fill in the gap.
    but you will need to use some standoffs for the speakers unless those are flat

If you can post a picture or two of how you did it. It will be a good reference for anyone coming accross this post.

#59 2 years ago
    Quoted from davegauth:

If you can post a picture or two of how you did it. It will be a good reference for anyone coming accross this post.

Will do - waiting for my standoffs to arrive tomorrow
    I'll place the pics in this post

#60 2 years ago

Following along. Thanks for adding this separate thread.

#61 2 years ago

I have the common Kicker 4” / Pyle 8” sub upgrade. I’ve fiddled with the EQ but feel like I haven’t quite found it. Anyone willing to put forth a set of reference EQ settings? Maybe even do a frequency sweep?

#62 2 years ago
    Quoted from ToddSonOfOdin:

I have the common Kicker 4” / Pyle 8” sub upgrade. I’ve fiddled with the EQ but feel like I haven’t quite found it. Anyone willing to put forth a set of reference EQ settings? Maybe even do a frequency sweep?

Here is what I am set at as a reference. Tweak to your liking.

4ohm for backbox, 8ohm for cabinet. Fade about +5

The gap you are hearing is probably in the frequencies in-between the sub and backbox speakers. They should be overlapping smoothly and complimenting each other. But instead the gap is a bit bigger and you probably are hearing this as everything probably sounds good and clear - but just seems to be a bit hollow in the low mid area. Just a guess.

20220109_194248 (resized).jpg20220109_194248 (resized).jpg20220110_202726 (resized).jpg20220110_202726 (resized).jpg

#63 2 years ago

duplicate

#64 2 years ago

Food for thought.

It's pretty intuitive that upgrading speaker size from the 4" stock speakers to the 5.25" speakers will deliver more sound. This is going to come from the larger cone surface area available to move more air.

So just how much of an increase is this going to be?

I broke out the calipers and mad math skills of Google.

Not counting for the coax/tweeter opening of either speaker as it appears constant accross these speakers.

The 4" Kicker comes in with a surface area of 7.07 square inches.

While the 5.25" Kicker comes in at 10.32 square inches.

That's an increase of 46%. That's huge and should translate into a nice increase in the lower midrange. This should also be relatively the same accross brands like Kenwood, Pyle etc.

But let's throw a curve ball into this. JBL uses what they call their Plus One design. They squeeze in a much larger cone by attaching the suspension of the cone to the outside of the basket. This means the diameter of the cone is 5/8" larger than the similar sized 5.25" Kicker.

If we are after more sound and more low midrange - how much more can we potentially get by using JBL Plus One style speakers.

Revisiting the math....
    5.25" Kickers = 10.32 Sq Inches
    5.25 JBLs = 14.19 Sq Inches
    A 38% increase from the similar size Kickers.
    and it's a 101% Increase from the 4" speakers.

I can't wait to compare these and see how this actually plays out.

20220115_211204 (resized).jpg20220115_211204 (resized).jpg20220115_210623 (resized).jpg20220115_210623 (resized).jpg20220115_210530 (resized).jpg20220115_210530 (resized).jpg20220115_211309 (resized).jpg20220115_211309 (resized).jpg
    #65 2 years ago

What’s the cheapest and best way to mount 5.25 speakers? Buying speaker plates or mounts for $25 is pretty pricey

#66 2 years ago

duplicate

#67 2 years ago

Pinballmonkey

#1 - Print an adapter yourself, there are 2 on thingiverse.
    #2 - Cut the studs off the stock mounting plate and drill new holes - get some #6 screws and nuts and bolt in your flush mount 5.25" speakers.

#68 2 years ago
    Quoted from WizzardRob:

Dont know if i understand you correctly, pinsound part is not a board, its just an adapter connected to CN5 on the Spike cpu board.
    I leave the backbox speakers completely alone. I disconnect the cabinet speaker from spike, connect the pinsound adapter subwoofer out to the little amp. Connect the amp to the cabinet speaker.
    I set the little amp switch to full freq because it seems that the spike subwoofer out is really a mid-to-low-out just software mixed. If i switch the amp to sub mode the sound is missing alot depth because the cabinet speaker is not really a subwoofer but takes part in the overall sound

I did buy those cable , and did the same , but the sound are realy bad , frequency also , ihave to put Maximum power and maximum range for get some sound, so the quality / and frequency for subwoofer was shit , i did return it ....

the amps of spike 2 are shit , even i changed and tried several Sub spaker , and it s same , the amps make noise and make your speaker sizzles , crach , creaks ? i don t know how to say this in english.

in EQ setup you can t put more than 13 on bas option ... or the amps is making shit to the subwoofer ... even with very nice subwoofer , i tryed with a small amps 2.1 (like lepai) with my smartphone + stern speaker and it s realy not bad , realy better than with this Shit spike 2 amps , it never do this noise.

i do not know realy what to do for make a 2.1 amps working well.

#69 2 years ago

Could you maybe send some pictures about your exact setup?

Note i have an LE speaker setup as basis. The added subwoofer amp connected to CN5 is not giving insane heavy bass, bit is definetely an upgrade to the sound with more bass and more powerful sound from the cabinet speaker

#70 2 years ago
    Quoted from WizzardRob:

Could you maybe send some pictures about your exact setup?
    Note i have an LE speaker setup as basis. The added subwoofer amp connected to CN5 is not giving insane heavy bass, bit is definetely an upgrade to the sound with more bass and more powerful sound from the cabinet speaker

Out of curiosity what is Stern using for the LE subwoofers?

#71 2 years ago
    Quoted from davegauth:

Out of curiosity what is Stern using for the LE subwoofers?

This!

77790FE6-5D01-4225-8762-0A7E75809253 (resized).jpeg77790FE6-5D01-4225-8762-0A7E75809253 (resized).jpeg
    #72 2 years ago

Hmm I may need to add the LE setup as well as the Pyle/Skar setups to my testing later for comparison sake.

#73 2 years ago

DIY Round 4...

Fitting 5.25" speakers in the backbox.

There are 2 off the shelf solutions for this.

1 - New steel mounting plates are offered from a few vendors for about $50 a set + shipping.
    CONs - Best for use with flush/surface mount speakers. However, selection of speakers is limited that are truly surface mountable. If the tweeter protrudes or if the cone movement needs some space, then you will need spacers to create some room between the plate and mounting surface of the speaker.
    PROs - Convenience, buy it, install it. This option also creates the most space behind the speaker for additional clearance. This helps with room for speaker light kits and/or larger speakers etc.

2 - 3D printed plastic adapters. These are available from a couple of vendors as standalone items and are often included with aftermarket speaker upgrade solutions. Generally, they can be found for $30-$50
    CONs - Many of these adapters take up close to .5" of space just for the adapter itself. This could reduce the speaker choices available due to size constraints. Adding speaker lights could complicate the situation and take up even more space. Air infiltration (See next post I make)
    PRO's - Convenience; price. Given these are spacers they naturally create room between the front of the speaker and speaker plate, allowing for speakers with protruding tweeters.

NOTE: JBL and Infinity style speakers with the Plus One woofer design cannot be used with either solution above. These speakers are difficult to flush mount due to their design.

Conclusion: I honestly think that buying either of these solutions maybe money worth spending. There is something to be said for the amount of effort it takes to do something yourself versus how much money you will be saving. Time is money, dollar waiting on a dime, stepping over dollars to pick up pennies etc. If you love to tinker, then by all means go the DIY route, just know that your time may not be worth the effort on this one.

I will be covering some DIY methods, and a new adapter I am working on in the next post.

#74 2 years ago
    Quoted from thekaiser82:

This!
    [quoted image]

Yes you were quicker. Thats still embarassing to advertise this as sound upgrade for >10k product, but in conjunction with external amplufication it is ok.

I think Godzilla is quite a bad test object. Somehow the sound is flat. I think i heard a JP with similar arrangement like mine and it blew me away with T-Rex roar. I looked for where the external sub was....

#75 2 years ago
    Quoted from davegauth:

DIY Round 4...
    Fitting 5.25" speakers in the backbox.
    There are 2 off the shelf solutions for this.
    1 - New steel mounting plates are offered from a few vendors for about $50 dollars a set + shipping.
    CONs - Best for use with flush/surface mount speakers. However, selection of speakers is limited that are truly surface mountable. If the tweeter protrudes or if the cone movement needs some space, then you will need spacers to create some space room between the plate and mounting surface of the speaker.
    PROs - Convenience, buy it, install it. This option also creates the most space behind the speaker for additional clearance. This helps with room for speaker light kits and/or larger speakers etc.
    2 - 3D printed plastic adapters. These are available from a couple of vendors as standalone items and are often included with aftermarket speaker upgrade solutions. Generally, they can be found for $30-$50
    CONs - Many of these adapters take up close to .5" of space just for the adapter itself. This could reduce the speaker choices available due to size constraints. Adding speaker lights could complicate the situation and take up even more space. Air infiltration (See next post I make)
    PRO's - Convenience; price. Given these are spacers they naturally create room between the front of the speaker and speaker plate, allowing for speakers with protruding tweeters.
    NOTE: JBL and Infinity style speakers with the Plus One woofer design cannot be used with either solution above. These speakers are difficult to flush mount due to their design.
    Conclusion: I honestly think that buying either of these solutions maybe money worth spending. There is something to be said for the amount of effort it takes to do something yourself versus how much money you will be saving. Time is money, dollar waiting on a dime, stepping over dollars to pick up pennies etc. If you love to tinker, then by all means go the DIY route, just know that your time may not be worth the effort on this one.
    I will be covering some DIY methods, and a new adapter I am working on in the next post.

LE 5.25" speakers come with mounting plate, color spacer and so called gasket ( foam spacer piece)

Do you kind of copy this principle or is installation with "only" the mounting plate sufficient? Could you provide links to some mounting plates?

#76 2 years ago

WizzardRob

Using mounting plates is sufficient in many cases by themselves. Providing you are using flush mount speakers. The color ring and foam are if you are trying to change the appearance of your back box. These items allow your speakers to show through the front grille of the backbox. The color ring is just to add a little color/flare to your machine.

Pinball Life and Speaker Light Kits both sell a version of plates. I'm sure there are a couple more floating around.

#77 2 years ago

so is this just test on newer sterns? how could this apply to say a wpc, data east, or system 11 games? I would like to upgrade my games but not sure what I need to look for in specs when it comes to the speakers.

#78 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

so is this just test on newer sterns? how could this apply to say a wpc, data east, or system 11 games? I would like to upgrade my games but not sure what I need to look for in specs when it comes to the speakers.

Right now I can only test on Sterns and an AFMr. But a ton of this information is still a foundation that can be applied to other machines as well.

There have been a few real good posts with information and Amazon links to items that can be used on other machines as well.

#79 2 years ago

DIY Round 4.1..

5.25" speaker adapters.

In the last post we spoke about some available options that could be readily purchased. This post concentrates only on DIY options and some tips.

1 - Modify the Stern stock speaker plates. All you have to do is remove the plates, cut off the 2 studs that held the 4" speaker on. Then drill new holes for the 5.25" mounting. Install some 6-32 machine screws, reinstall the plates and you are ready to mount up some flush mount speakers. You'll need a dremmel, drill and some drill bits.
    Tips: You will need a 9/64 drill bit to drill the holes for the 6-32 screws. Once you drill the holes in the plate install the 4 screws and run a nylock nuts down to the plate to lock them in(you will not need washers). You do not need to worry about the bolt heads on the front of the plate as they will push into the speaker foam. Use black machine screws if you can find them, if not use a sharpie on the bolt heads so you will not see them through the foam.
    If you really want to be precise, then make a small 1 to 1 drill template that you can print out and align using the current two studs before cutting them off.

2 - You can design and make your own adapters. This will take way more time than it maybe worth. But if you want to tinker and have the skills then it's not so bad. You can 3D print it, make it out of wood, machine it out of aluminum, use foam core like shown in a previous post. How you make it depends on the methods you have access to and feel comfortable using.
    Tips: Try to use 6-32 machine screws in your design. This will keep everything consistent with everything else on the machine and be easily servicable by the same size nut driver used on everything else.

3 - If you have a 3D printer you can print your own using 1 of the 2 designs on Thingiverse. Which design may depend on the speakers you want to use.
    Tips: Be ready to drill out the bolt holes with a 9/64 drill bit for 6-32 screws. Every printer prints a little different and odds are high the holes will be undersized. Make a trip to the hardware store after you print the adapters not before. This will save you from having to go to the hardware store twice(like I did). Have some silicone handy or even hot glue to close up air gaps. (see below)

I started by printing one of the adapters on thingiverse as I thought it would be the most common choice. However; it didn't take long to see there was a fundemental flaw with the design. Then with some googling and looking at other vendors selling adapters and full.speaker kits, I was like holy crap they are all making the most basic design errors.

Let me explain - speakers make noise by creating air pressure waves. As the speaker cone moves forward the air infront of the cone creates a high pressure zone, while the air behind the cone creates a low pressure zone. When those two zones are allowed to mix the result is noise cancelation. This is why a speaker sounds so much different when it's in an enclosure versus just sitting commando on a desk. You lose almost all low end, it becomes very muffled and you lose tons of sound volume/decibals too. In order to get the most out of your speakers you don't want these two air pressure zones mixing with each other.

All the adapters I have seen, all have big gaps allowing the front and back air pressure zones to mingle and create noise cancelation.(See Pictures) To resolve this be ready to use silicone or hot glue to close up these gaps.

So what am I going to do? I don't like the idea of sealing my speakers up with goop. Mainly because it's not conducive to swapping in and out speakers for testing. Instead I'm going to bang my head against the wall and design a better adapter. One that will stop the air mixing and also be able to mount the JBL/Infinity Plus-One speaker designs.

I'll post what I come up with next.

20220116_134345 (resized).jpg20220116_134345 (resized).jpg20220116_134513 (resized).jpg20220116_134513 (resized).jpg883c8ba937187381017b05d2012d48b28cdbaebd (resized).jpg883c8ba937187381017b05d2012d48b28cdbaebd (resized).jpg

#80 2 years ago

what about just stuffing a piece of foam in there for the mean time until you figure out which ones you are going with. Two sided tape?

#81 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

what about just stuffing a piece of foam in there for the mean time until you figure out which ones you are going with. Two sided tape?

Certainly, both are very good ideas.

#82 2 years ago

Don't want to derail this great thread, but is there a thread or resource for Bluetooth output directly to an amplifier? I did a search and found nothing.

I can't use wires from my machine to connect to the arcade sound system and getting ready to buy a sonos amp or something like that.

#83 2 years ago

Black_Knight By all means ask away, it's a good question.

I'll be trying something like this out in a few weeks, it'll be good info to have if something is out there.

#84 2 years ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

Don't want to derail this great thread, but is there a thread or resource for Bluetooth output directly to an amplifier? I did a search and found nothing.
    I can't use wires from my machine to connect to the arcade sound system and getting ready to buy a sonos amp or something like that.

Depends on the amplifier's ability to scan for devices.

You need to do a line-out mod then plug that into a transmitter, and find a way to get 5V to it.

This is easier on systems that don't have digital audio control, such as System 11. On those you can pull the audio signal off the volume control.

#85 2 years ago

Rat- yeah that’s the hard part. I know nothing about amps and transmitters and would be guessing when buying them. That line out/ sub wire mentioned earlier is as far as I can go on my own

So if anyone knows a good combo or a web vendor that can help please let me know.

I am only planning to do this with spike2 machines. Rush/zep/maiden/GZ.

Our Rush launch party is Feb 26 so I have a month to get it figured out.

#86 2 years ago

You could just go the wired route for now. Cheap, easy, and foolproof which maybe a good thing for your launch party.

You can get plug and play line out adapters from Pinsound or Pinnovators(there are a couple others) then take it straight into your arcade amp. If you want to hook up multiple games - Put line outs on all of them, and run them all to a mixer and then to your arcade amp.

This would get you a very usable solution you can get running today while you research Bluetooth possibilities.

The wired in method, is something I'm hoping to test in the coming weeks and report on.

If you try it please post it hear for everyone to see it with your thoughts and results etc.

#87 2 years ago

Hey all. I used the 2x 4" PL42BL and 1x 8" PLPW8D Pyles. I actually modified the ring that came with the 4" speakers with a dremel to give me a spacer for the tweeters in my GZ Pro. Dremel access into the ring for the bracket nuts and use the included hardware to mount the speakers to the modified ring. Really happy with the sound and the settings. Thanks @davegauth.

40F8F39A-44EF-4CA3-9F7E-237476E8A5DE (resized).jpeg40F8F39A-44EF-4CA3-9F7E-237476E8A5DE (resized).jpeg
    #88 2 years ago
    Quoted from davegauth:

All the adapters I have seen, all have big gaps allowing the front and back air pressure zones to mingle and create noise cancelation.(See Pictures) To resolve this be ready to use silicone or hot glue to close up these gaps.

Those black adapters don't have a gap if used with the Kenwood speakers they were designed for. Not that it really makes a difference though, especially in the backbox speakers that don't move as much air as the bass speaker in the cabinet... The pinball cabinet and head are relatively huge and there are relatively huge ports for air flow in both the head and base cabinet. Pinball speakers are basically running open air anyway as opposed to a traditional sealed or ported cabinet like a bookshelf speaker. For example the adapters used by Pinwo0fer have very large gaps, especially in the cabinet bass speaker adapter, and they still manage to make a decent sound even using a cheap amplifier and speakers.

The cleanest solution is to just swap out the metal plates for the larger size found in LEs. They are $50 for a pair a Pinball Life or Speakerlightkits.com. I like having a light kit on my speakers and if you buy the new plates from speakerlightkits along with the LE style light kit, they give a $25 discount. So for essentially $25 for new plates, it is a no brainer. I just ordered a combo kit for my Mando Premium along with the Kenwood KFC-1366S speakers that Stern used in many of their LEs. These not only sound great, the light colored cone lights up beautifully with the speaker light kit as opposed to most speakers which have black cones.

As a side note, I also find that upgrading the cabinet speaker is basically 100% useless if you add an external sub. Put your money and effort toward the sub and you won't be disappointed.

Just throwing my 2 cents in. There is a lot of good information and good work done by the OP in this thread and I love the spirit of DIY.

#89 2 years ago

Quick update - Been working on new speaker adapters.

Been really busy at work and haven't had much time to design these and do a writeup. I should be able to post more in depth tonight or tomorrow.

Here is a look where I'm currently at.
    20220125_205419 (resized).jpg20220125_205419 (resized).jpg

#90 2 years ago
    #91 2 years ago

so with these upgrades, you need to run an external amp right?

#92 2 years ago

Bax1 Right now none of what I have done has required amplification.

I'll test out some amplification options in future posts.

#93 2 years ago

DIY Round 4.2...

Designing a better 5.25 speaker adapter.

I spent some time designing a better 5.25 adapter. The 2 things that needed to be solved were:
    1 - Being able to seal off the back of the speaker from the front to maximize sound output and avoid unnecessary noise cancellation.
    Why? See my DIY 4.1 post above showing some of the downsides of many of the adapters available for print or purchase that have big gaps allowing the air pressure zones from in front and behind the speaker to quickly mix and noise cancel.
    2 - Having the ability to mount different types of speakers like the JBL and Infinity Plus one designs that do not allow for flush speaker mounting.
    Why? Most aftermarket speakers are designed to be top mounted e.g., to be dropped into a hole and then bolted down from the front/top. Mounting a speaker flush or against its face and bolting it down from behind is less common and presents some challenges. Things like protruding tweeters and cone suspensions need room in front of the speaker to function. There are far fewer flush mount style speakers to choose from because of this.

And since we are on the DIY kick, out comes the CAD while watching shows like Peacemaker, and Book of Bobba Fett etc.... and several nights of listening to the 3D printer whirr whirr it's way around for hours on end. And the test fitting and more test fitting.. and the.... well, you get the idea. As I said before I'm not certain this is a cost-effective method versus buying a readymade solution. I'm going to have to rewatch those shows because I definitely missed 50% or more of what was going on.

The design I came up with allows the speakers to be mounted as drop in speakers. This allows for all kinds of speakers to be used. Tweeters sticking out, all cone and suspensions designs (Like JBL/Infinity) can also be mounted. There are no air large air gaps and the front of the speaker is now sealed off from the back.

I thought they turned out pretty good. But take a look for yourself and let me know your thoughts.

There are a couple things that need tweaking, and a couple of really interesting future improvements have also come to light. But more about those in a later post.

They did require some modification to the stock speaker plates. But this wasn't terrible and only took a few minutes. First I used the spacer as a template and centered it up on the plate using the studs that held the stock 4" speakers in place. I then drilled two new mounting holes. Next I cut off the stock studs with a dremmel. Then I put two new 6/-32 bolts through the new holes and ran a nylock nut down the bolt to lock it to the plate. A little black sharpie action and the plates get reinstalled.

Now you just mount the speakers into the adapters and bolt the speakers to plate.

Next on the agenda is to go through all the different speakers I purchased to test things like, sound quality, loudness etc. The couple brands I will be comparing are Kicker, JBL, MBQuart, and Alpine. If anyone would like to see another tossed in there let me know, but do know my wallet is getting a little stretched so there are limits to what I can do. Maybe someone can send me something they have laying around?

After that we will move onto sub woofers, external sub woofers, home stereos, and probably some amplification options as well.

20220117_181137 (resized).jpg20220117_181137 (resized).jpg20220117_181651 (resized).jpg20220117_181651 (resized).jpg20220125_204042 (resized).jpg20220125_204042 (resized).jpg20220125_204100 (resized).jpg20220125_204100 (resized).jpg20220125_205026 (resized).jpg20220125_205026 (resized).jpg
    #94 2 years ago

Great thread! Sad this has to be done with the current prices of pins.

#95 2 years ago

Just a quick side post... Glass Rattle

Even with the stock Stern amp, I am able to get my bass kicking with improvements thus far. With this comes the inevitable glass rattle.

Now there are some aftermarket tapes you can buy, and they do the job well. But reading some of these manufacturers descriptions like - Proprietary Technology, Anti rattle technology, Patented.... You'd think this was designed by teams of rocket scientists to be used on space missions. hmmmmm....

Either way, at some point you will need to deal with glass rattle as your sound system comes up to speed. You can buy some of these ready to go tape solutions or you can DIY it.

For me the solution is as easy as a 5cent O-ring I found amongst my plumbing repair tools I had in my garage. I just picked out a thin O-Ring from a kit and place it between the glass and trim at the top of the machine and rattle be gone.

You have to remember to remove them when taking the glass out. But it's provides an easy enough solution for now.

Has anyone else come up with anything interesting to quite glass rattle?

20220112_234810 (resized).jpg20220112_234810 (resized).jpg20220112_234922 (resized).jpg20220112_234922 (resized).jpg
    #96 2 years ago

I appreciate what this post is doing. While I'm not looking for glass shattering sound improvements, I am looking for an improvement.

I have a Deadpool and have played others. The sound and imaging is poor, just like most other spike games. However, with Stranger Things, even the pro, the sound is quite acceptable at moderate volume. Seems like the lower frequencies are well represented and the stereo imaging is excellent from the player position. I assume all these games have the same speaker configurations. Could this just be something that could be helped with settings changes? Anyone investigate this yet?

Thanks,
    Jeff

#97 2 years ago
    Quoted from davegauth:

Even with the stock Stern amp, I am able to get my bass kicking with improvements thus far. With this comes the inevitable glass rattle.

Rick and Morty owners already fought this battle, and the consensus is: snip the ends off zip ties, and insert them between the glass channel and the cabinet wood. Use a half dozen or so for each side. Don't have to worry about removing them when glass comes out because they're under the channel.

#98 2 years ago

I skimmed the post - some things may have been already stated that I missed so apologies if it was -

1) I saw this one for sure - "crap in crap out". If pins have bad/rough audio, you're just amplifying garbage. Wont help.
    2) Unlike in some things - size isn't always better. My B&W 705 bookshelf speakers destroy anything substantially bigger I've heard with respect to quality in the same price range. They can also handle a decent amount of power. Why? Quality components, design, and engineering. You get what you pay for..to a degree. Which leads me to 3
    3) I've seen people using Pyle for ages on here. They're crap. No way to dice it. OP - I'd love to hear how those MB quarts sound, or the JBLs. Just my .02 but Pyle isn't an upgrade.
    4) Are people looking for volume only - clarity/quality, both? Not sure what type of amplification is built into pins, but I'd have to think it wouldn't be much. Matching impedance is important otherwise you're gonna nuke your speakers, pin, or both in time (not sure what is stock in these).
    5) Sending signal to an "external" amplifier (could be in the cab) then routing back to a quality / upgraded set of speakers IMO would be your best bet.

#99 2 years ago
    Quoted from davegauth:

Just a quick side post... Glass Rattle
    Now there are some aftermarket tapes you can buy, and they do the job well. But reading some of these manufacturers descriptions like - Proprietary Technology, Anti rattle technology, Patented.... You'd think this was designed by teams of rocket scientists to be used on space missions. hmmmmm....
    Either way, at some point you will need to deal with glass rattle as your sound system comes up to speed. You can buy some of these ready to go tape solutions or you can DIY it.
    For me the solution is as easy as a 5cent O-ring I found amongst my plumbing repair tools I had in my garage. I just picked out a thin O-Ring from a kit and place it between the glass and trim at the top of the machine and rattle be gone.
    You have to remember to remove them when taking the glass out. But it's provides an easy enough solution for now.
    Has anyone else come up with anything interesting to quite glass rattle? [quoted image][quoted image]

I've had this issue on several machines due to added Bass and Shaker.

I cut about a ~1/2" square out of strong but thin cardboard from a beer or soda 12 pack and use slightly larger cut pieces of packing tape to secure them in each upper corner of the playfield glass (only place them on the top side). Works like a charm and you can't see them and they will withstand years of glass removals.

For the backbox I strategically place electrical tape where the backglass rests on the the backbox verticals to eliminate rattle. I put the tape on the wood, not the translite.

#100 2 years ago
    Quoted from RonSwanson:

I replaced the stock backbox speakers in my Godzilla Pro with a pair of Pyle 5.25" speakers. I changed the ohm setting to 4 in the volume menu, but I discovered that every time I turn the game off, it changes back to the 8 ohm setting. Has anyone else experienced this?

Answering my own question - I emailed Stern to report the bug and they fixed this issue in code release 0.90. It's great that they listened and addressed the problem.

There are 1,822 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 37.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/improving-sound-quality-the-diy-route/page/2?hl=ronswanson and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.