Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,822 posts
  • 247 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by Ollulanus
  • Topic is favorited by 377 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1701 (resized).jpeg
    504783-a257170fca2168983d2a6e1bbfec3f44 (resized).jpg
    received_6742998335800442 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    320-3350_HR_0.default (resized).jpg
    607DEEC4-36DB-45AA-8B61-018875778767 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    slika-1109725-631a4b9a8ef1e-velika-3077129719 (resized).jpg
    5580B012-A4F2-4FA4-ADF1-E8801A418BC1 (resized).jpeg
    8CDE1FF8-62E4-40F4-85EF-E93F22435908 (resized).jpeg
    C5D15E76-AC5F-4258-BC0F-0ECB29263D5B (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20240222-214420_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    February 2024 DIY Super Kit (resized).jpg
    20240218_102558 (resized).jpg
    20240218_101946 (resized).jpg
    20240218_101928 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 1,822 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 37.
    #1151 1 year ago

Hmm... This is interesting..

The new Bond cabinet speaker uses a whizzer cone. (The center cone attached to the dustcap) This is kind of common in older speaker designs) it is supposed to help the speaker create higher freguencies. But this is the first time I've seen it on a modern Stern.

Kind of strange... but ok...

I'm doing a quick and dirty speaker replacement on a location Bond. The sound effects in the pop bumpers are too much for the speakers to handle. They sound terrible as they crackle and muddle through the effects - sounding like blown speakers.

Anyway... Will post when I get this finished. Just thought this was an interesting find.

20230210_171830 (resized).jpg20230210_171830 (resized).jpg

#1152 1 year ago

Just some data..

I needed a new cabinet subwoofer to perform the quick and dirty Bond fix. An Amazon binge and I see this Boss 8" subwoofer with next day delivery. Boss has an OK name and reputation. I'm not overly concerned about great low end performance and I do not plan on installing an amplifier for this location pin. (Too much work, too much money, don't want the bluetooth hijacked by patrons and don't need the increased volume or awesomeness)

Couple of things with this speaker:

- Amazon shows a picture of 2 speakers in the add. This gave me the impression that it was a 2 pack. Which I thought could be a value and placed my order. But it is not, it's only for a single speaker. My mistake for not reading more in depth as the description doesn't say it's a 2 pack. No big deal, my bad.

- Price, not only is this not a 2 pack, but I've noticed the price on this speaker changes daily. It was $45 when I ordered Friday night, and it was $39 last night. A price history search shows it was at $27 just a couple weeks ago.

- This speaker will require a spacer. Even though there is a mounting gasket compatibile for face mounting, it is not thick enough to mount in a pin. The suspension surround will and does contact the pin cabinet.

- The positive and negative terminal spades are the same width. This is not common. Usually there is a large and small spade for positive and negative delineation. Not a big deal, but if you are crimping on ends for easy on and off connection(versus just solder) then it's a small twist to deal with.

The higher price and need for a spacer make this speaker not be the greatest choice for a quick fix.

How does it sound? No idea yet... I'd like to run it with the higher powered amplifier and give it a good thump to compare it to the JBL and Kicker. But I need to get the Bond back in the brewery today, so not much time available to mess around.

Anyway - some pics.
    20230212_084658 (resized).jpg20230212_084658 (resized).jpg20230212_084813 (resized).jpg20230212_084813 (resized).jpg20230212_084858 (resized).jpg20230212_084858 (resized).jpg20230212_084935 (resized).jpg20230212_084935 (resized).jpg

#1153 1 year ago

One upgrade that I've done...

I've done quite a few Stern Spike 2, a few Gottlieb System 3 and Williams (mostly different speakers).

#1154 1 year ago
    Quoted from Ashram56:

Quick pictures of a DIY speaker plate adapter I designed for my Pyle subwoofer, to add clearance and to adjust the screws (which are too short for the new sub). I'm using M3 screws which are fitted from the bottom (there is an opening to fit the screw head). There's also clearance around each nut of the original screws to allow to fit the toolhead (otherwise you can't screw the nut)
    It's really a straight design, nothing fancy, if there's an interest I can post it
    [quoted image][quoted image]

This thing Thumps in my Austin Powers!
    Bang 4 Buck!

#1155 1 year ago
    Quoted from davegauth:

Just some data..
    I needed a new cabinet subwoofer to perform the quick and dirty Bond fix. An Amazon binge and I see this Boss 8" subwoofer with next day delivery. Boss has an OK name and reputation. I'm not overly concerned about great low end performance and I do not plan on installing an amplifier for this location pin. (Too much work, too much money, don't want the bluetooth hijacked by patrons and don't need the increased volume or awesomeness)
    Couple of things with this speaker:
    - Amazon shows a picture of 2 speakers in the add. This gave me the impression that it was a 2 pack. Which I thought could be a value and placed my order. But it is not, it's only for a single speaker. My mistake for not reading more in depth as the description doesn't say it's a 2 pack. No big deal, my bad.
    - Price, not only is this not a 2 pack, but I've noticed the price on this speaker changes daily. It was $45 when I ordered Friday night, and it was $39 last night. A price history search shows it was at $27 just a couple weeks ago.
    - This speaker will require a spacer. Even though there is a mounting gasket compatibile for face mounting, it is not thick enough to mount in a pin. The suspension surround will and does contact the pin cabinet.
    - The positive and negative terminal spades are the same width. This is not common. Usually there is a large and small spade for positive and negative delineation. Not a big deal, but if you are crimping on ends for easy on and off connection(versus just solder) then it's a small twist to deal with.
    The higher price and need for a spacer make this speaker not be the greatest choice for a quick fix.
    How does it sound? No idea yet... I'd like to run it with the higher powered amplifier and give it a good thump to compare it to the JBL and Kicker. But I need to get the Bond back in the brewery today, so not much time available to mess around.
    Anyway - some pics.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I'm a bit surprised you went with a straight sub, especially with no amp add on. If you are looking for a cheap easy drop in replacement, I've had great results with the Skar Audio FSX8-4 which would allow mids and lows, for a stock cab speaker replacement. You can find them on Amazon as a two pack for around $45.

#1156 1 year ago
    Quoted from awesome1:

I'm a bit surprised you went with a straight sub, especially with no amp add on. If you are looking for a cheap easy drop in replacement, I've had great results with the Skar Audio FSX8-4 which would allow mids and lows, for a stock cab speaker replacement. You can find them on Amazon as a two pack for around $45.

Is that one going to do better in a Bond? I'm more than happy to plop that one in. Just trying to get rid of the distortion, nothing else.
    Edit: Would you recommend the 4 or the 8 Ohm version without amp.

#1157 1 year ago
    Quoted from T3quila:

Is that one going to do better in a Bond? I'm more than happy to plop that one in. Just trying to get rid of the distortion, nothing else.
    Edit: Would you recommend the 4 or the 8 Ohm version without amp.

I don't have a Bond pin, but think it would most likely sound much better than the stock setup. I have used the 4 ohm Skar speaker in several pins and personally like it (8 ohm setting with no additional amp). I do use an external sub along with the OP's ( davegauth ) recommended Kicker's for the backbox.

#1158 1 year ago
    Quoted from awesome1:

I thought about it as I was perusing the Amazon. It's something I still want to try at some point. It probably would have been more than fine for this application and I could have tried it out.

But here I am.... didn't even use that Boss speaker. I'm so wishy washy...

#1159 1 year ago

So what did I do, and how did it turn out?

Since I wanted to really test this Boss speaker out - I decided to pull the Goldwood out of my AFM and put that in Bond. Why? Because Goldwood is an ok speaker for low power applications, and I can buy another one for $25 to put back in AFM.

For the backbox I went with my go-to Kickers. I used the 4" version as they are bolt in. A little cheaper, sound great, and are efficient which is good for the stock amp.

Installation is straight forward, just remove the stock wires and connectors and solder them to the new speakers. The Goldwood needed a spacer and I used some drywall screws and washers I had on hand. (push out the studs and put the screws into the same holes)

So did it work? Yes, but it needed some tweaking in the DSP(10 band eq) as we are also pushing limits of stock amp. Now the pop bumpers effects don't drive me bananas listening to that crackle crackle. Also the effects sound so much better overall, much sharper and extended frequencies.

This is not a rocking system, I would have went with a seperate amp, 5.25" speakers and a better sub. I feel unclean doing it this way... but..... But Bond is not a rocking pin....

I included EQ settings since it's the #1 requested item.

The Boss speaker will get it's turn, as I'm going to try it in my Stranger Things with a mini amp. Rush cabinet still not here. ggggrrrrrrrrr

20230212_113622 (resized).jpg20230212_113622 (resized).jpg20230212_115022 (resized).jpg20230212_115022 (resized).jpg20230212_151621 (resized).jpg20230212_151621 (resized).jpg20230212_151632 (resized).jpg20230212_151632 (resized).jpg

#1160 1 year ago

With a Stern James Bond Pro, with 8 ohm backbox speakers and a 4 ohm cabinet speaker, why would the factory default the cabinet speaker to 8 ohms and not 4 in settings?

#1161 1 year ago
    Quoted from arcaderehab:

With a Stern James Bond Pro, with 8 ohm backbox speakers and a 4 ohm cabinet speaker, why would the factory default the cabinet speaker to 8 ohms and not 4 in settings?

More "Punch"! Most use the 8 ohm setting with 4 ohm speakers. Seems to give a higher gain output, especially at lower volumes, kind of like a "loud" button on a car stereo.

#1162 1 year ago

I grabbed a set of the Infinity 4032 4" speakers for the backbox and the GRS 8" for the cabinet to go in my Rush. I had done a couple sets of 5 1/4 backbox, but wanted to try the 4" to skip the plate replacement or spacer deal. These speakers turned out to just not quite be flush. I got out the dremel and cut out the thinner inner cross pattern portion of the factory 4" speaker plate. This allowed the speaker to be mounted to the plate, but the tweeter still hit the honeycomb part when installed. I ended up using washers between the plate and lcd/speaker panel. With the foam in place you can just make out the tweeter.

Sound overall is much improved. I will probably tweak the EQ settings some more. Right now all are set at 8 ohm.

#1163 1 year ago

For a JB that I just plan to swap the cab and backbox speakers would a midrange like the Skar FSX8-4 8" be better suited vs a lower range option like the JBL or another 8" sub? Bond isn't rockin and rolling so I wonder what is best to pair with kickers in backbox.

Also davegauth do you think some type of acoustic foam, like melamine panels inside the cabinet might help with the issues you mentioned from all 3 speakers effectively sharing one big box? Not sure if this is would help in any discernible way or is just a waste. Just thinking out loud as a couple people have mentioned the backbox and cabinet speakers not playing nice together.

#1164 1 year ago

also, still torn on whether to go for 4" kickers for simplicity's sake and ease of install or if 5.25" are worth the hassle and additional cost when its just JB soundtrack

#1165 1 year ago

I'm using the Kicker DSC40 speakers for my backbox (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BLVF3GW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title). For my subwoofer, I'm using a Blaupunkt 8-Inch sub (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MA627P4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title).

I have both the backbox and cabinet speakers set to 4-ohm and each is equalized separately as shown above in davegauth 's post. I think it sounds great, far superior to the paper OEM speakers.

#1166 1 year ago

I made a cheat sheet of options to try to summarize ideas for any newcomers, anyone who wishes to edit it further, go for it! I haven’t updated in a few months.

http://bit.ly/sternaudio

#1167 1 year ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Has anyone by chance made Spike2 speaker adapters for 6.5 inch speakers? I realize they'd have to be offset from center and overhang on the inside, but I found some unused 6.5 inch Dual 2-ways at a thrift store for so cheap that I just had to try!

Apparently not, and I'm too busy these days to learn 3D modeling from scratch. But I discovered that those Dual 6.5s would drop right into my Rick and Morty on the LED enhanced spacers already there, and the original, perfectly decent 5.25s from R&M would then fit into Rush once I printed some 5.25 to 4.5 adapter spacers.

Which I have done, and now both games have upgraded speakers for a total cost of $7.50 and some filament! And, bonus: the Duals have a nice shiny tweeter for the LEDs to reflect off of.

Furthermore, I still have another pair of the Duals (it was a four pack, open but unused for $15) I can use in the Rush if I ever find (or get around to making) spacers as originally planned. Life is good!

#1168 1 year ago

I'm wanting to upgrade my 4" 4 ohm speakers in the following games, Transformers LE, Ghostbusters LE, Game Of Thrones LE and Star Trek LE, i would like to replace them with Infinity 4032cfx 4" speakers which are 3 ohm, will the factory stern sound board/amp be able to handle these speakers and not have any issues?
    cheers
    Trevor

#1169 1 year ago
    Quoted from prentice:

I made a cheat sheet of options to try to summarize ideas for any newcomers, anyone who wishes to edit it further, go for it! I haven’t updated in a few months.
    http://bit.ly/sternaudio

robin - can you mark this as a key post, please?

I'm just starting to wade into this topic and prentice nails everything.

#1170 1 year ago
    Quoted from MANTO1975:

I'm wanting to upgrade my 4" 4 ohm speakers in the following games, Transformers LE, Ghostbusters LE, Game Of Thrones LE and Star Trek LE, i would like to replace them with Infinity 4032cfx 4" speakers which are 3 ohm, will the factory stern sound board/amp be able to handle these speakers and not have any issues?
    cheers
    Trevor

They aren't quite flush. The tweeter protrudes just a small bit. Your options would be spacer (or light kit which would include one), or remove the grill. Otherwise, I don't see why they wouldn't work on the spike/sam machines you mentioned. They sound pretty good on my Rush.

#1171 1 year ago

Just a heads up, the Fosi BT30D amp mentioned throughout this thread is currently on sale on Amazon for $71.99

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K7NJ4QN

#1172 1 year ago

Bump to the top for everyone looking for this

1 week later
    #1173 1 year ago

NM, found my answer

#1174 1 year ago

I have a question for the experts on this thread…
    I harvested an amplifier from an old yamaha combo cd/ ipod dock/ radio tuner unit that actually had speaker outputs on it. The cd and ipod didn’t work, but the radio did so I know the amp and speakers do… and sound pretty good.
    I would like to try using the amp in a pin, and if it wires up easily enough I will buy better speakers for it to power.
    Just wondering how to figure out what wires are for input to the amp, and how I could control volume? Is this amp even a viable option?

226CE6D5-C5F1-4EE7-B014-480C303D46AF (resized).jpeg226CE6D5-C5F1-4EE7-B014-480C303D46AF (resized).jpegCB222CBC-B81F-4EAF-88EE-0E30E4C0F648 (resized).jpegCB222CBC-B81F-4EAF-88EE-0E30E4C0F648 (resized).jpegD2301B76-437F-4BEA-AC67-B608C117287C (resized).jpegD2301B76-437F-4BEA-AC67-B608C117287C (resized).jpeg
    #1175 1 year ago

You need to get a hold of the schematics of this board. Otherwise it will be rather difficult to figure out what is what, aside from experimenting and identifying from the connector silkscreen.

At a minimum, please provide a close up picture of each connector, with the labels clearly visible so we can try to figure out from there what is what

#1176 1 year ago
    Quoted from Ashram56:

You need to get a hold of the schematics of this board. Otherwise it will be rather difficult to figure out what is what, aside from experimenting and identifying from the connector silkscreen.
    At a minimum, please provide a close up picture of each connector, with the labels clearly visible so we can try to figure out from there what is what

I will post better pictures soon! Thanks for the reply.

1 week later
    #1177 1 year ago

I just installed a Pinball Life cabinet woofer 3000 in a GZ-Premium. I have done the cabinet upgrade for BOSS and other 8-inch woofers a bunch of times on other machines, and always end up fiddling with settings to get it sounding the best. I decided to just buy PBL since I had an order being placed anyway and the BOSS CXX8 favorites have risen in price over the past year to the same level. I noticed that PBL includes a suggested settings for their 8-inch 3000 unit and wanted to share with other DIY folks:

Settings > Utilities > VOL

Cabinet Speaker = 4ohms
    Cabinet Bass Freq = 125hz
    Cabinet Bass Gain = +7.875
    Cabinet Treble Freq = Disabled
    Cabinet Treble Gain = -12db
    Fade = -6

I used the above and it sounds pretty good on GZ Gamecode 1.04, but these settings are NOT game-specific.

#1178 1 year ago

Anyone have specific suggestions for upgrading a wpc-95 (Cirqus Voltaire)? Have one slated for my next restore project, think I may put a pin sound board in.

#1179 1 year ago
    Quoted from Ollulanus:

Anyone have specific suggestions for upgrading a wpc-95 (Cirqus Voltaire)? Have one slated for my next restore project, think I may put a pin sound board in.

Be advised that the Pinsound on CV will sound somewhat better mainly due to better speakers, but they do not appear to have remastered the audio itself. They have simply extracted and then converted the original sounds from Mono to Stereo, and created the backbox/cabinet separation. The sound pack is the same as the original machine sounds. That means you may not get the dramatic update to sound in CV you were hoping for. Any of the speaker upgrade kits or the DIY approach outlined by Tony Dziedic years ago will likely yield similiar results... for half the price (or less).

#1180 1 year ago
    Quoted from tominator:

I will post better pictures soon! Thanks for the reply.

Ok so I have better pictures now. Amp is harvested from a yamaha crx330….
    Manual is here
    https://www.manualslib.com/manual/749407/Yamaha-Crx-330.html

I made a crude drawing listing what it says on the board for each wire.
    I would love to hook this up on a pin if anyone knows how and could help me…
    182B20B3-0340-4D1B-AA19-7EBA895FC70B (resized).jpeg182B20B3-0340-4D1B-AA19-7EBA895FC70B (resized).jpeg6090D446-4DAD-4803-AB5A-6230E7921DF6 (resized).jpeg6090D446-4DAD-4803-AB5A-6230E7921DF6 (resized).jpeg746BB764-A450-4616-AF8F-1F42EE882502 (resized).jpeg746BB764-A450-4616-AF8F-1F42EE882502 (resized).jpeg

772A95ED-D4F1-481A-BCE7-477C849002B6 (resized).jpeg772A95ED-D4F1-481A-BCE7-477C849002B6 (resized).jpeg
    #1181 1 year ago

New to the thread - but have modded and upgraded many modern DMD/Spike based games, along with Lebowski. It's pretty clear the Lebowski songs and callouts are much higher bitrate and quality that the super compressed / lower resolution Spike 2 files. I have a FF Prem on the way, and of course top of mind is improving sound quality. Speakers and amps make it loud, but don't improve the sound files themselves (obviously.). I don't expect PinBrowser to allow larger files to be swapped in (does it?) - or how can we root-cause improve the actual quality of the sound files Stern is calling in the code? The speakers and amps are easy after that!

Thanks!

#1182 1 year ago
    Quoted from Markharris2000:

the DIY approach outlined by Tony Dziedic years ago will likely yield similiar results... for half the price (or less).

Can you point me towards that?

#1183 1 year ago
    Quoted from Ollulanus:

Can you point me towards that?

http://www.dziedzic.us/wpc_speaker_replacement.html

It’s a long read with detailed instructions, but totally worth it.

#1184 1 year ago
    Quoted from adam12hicks:

New to the thread - but have modded and upgraded many modern DMD/Spike based games, along with Lebowski. It's pretty clear the Lebowski songs and callouts are much higher bitrate and quality that the super compressed / lower resolution Spike 2 files. I have a FF Prem on the way, and of course top of mind is improving sound quality. Speakers and amps make it loud, but don't improve the sound files themselves (obviously.). I don't expect PinBrowser to allow larger files to be swapped in (does it?) - or how can we root-cause improve the actual quality of the sound files Stern is calling in the code? The speakers and amps are easy after that!
    Thanks!

I doubt PinBrowser will help but I don't know. I love the Jurassic Park alternate audio package (assembled by a musician), but the John Williams audio tracks are still compressed and lackluster in the high frequency range. I have an external amp in my JP and have compared the theme song back-to-back between the Spike audio source and my iPhone audio source and the iPhone source is much clearer. For lots of music, it probably doesn't matter, but for full orchestra it makes a big difference.

#1185 1 year ago

I have been following the thread intently, and decided to try the amp route on my GZ Premium. All wired up, output using a Pinnovators adapter, with a Fosi amp. My issue is when I start the pin. As the amp and the game start, I get the usual pop of the speakers, but this happens 5-6 times during the startup, with some of them being rapid fire and loud "pop, pop, pop". As my other pins start without an amp, you maybe get 1 quieter pop, not several like this. Even my TNA with an amp doesn't go to this extreme.

I added a ground loop isolator adapter, but no change. I also (via smart plugs) played with powering the amp 20 seconds before the game starts. And 50% of the time it does it, and other times not.

Any ideas?

#1186 1 year ago

Replaced the Lepai LP-168HA amps I've been running in my homebrew cabs with ZK-TB21 amps. Based on TPA3116D2 chips, sold under a few brands such as Fosi and Wuzhi. The difference is night and day, it's able to actually drive the subwoofer at a decent volume without clipping. Did not upgrade the power supply. Only complaint is no way to disable the bluetooth. There are other amps based on this chip but I couldn't find one with tone controls that did not have BT.

Found a WillisonAudioLabs video where the amp dyno'd at 7 watts on the sub channel before clipping.

These things have been around for years and the design flaws were never corrected. I don't know why Parts Express sells this garbage. I don't know why Spooky uses these amps in their games, especially TNA where the soundtrack got a lot of attention. They could do so much better with any of the pcb-only options.

If you are building a homebrew pinball game do not use a Lepai LP-168HA, you are wasting your time.

Hopefully that's enough keywords to show up in google search results, lol.

#1187 1 year ago

I just did the exact same thing; I replaced the Lepai LP-168HA amp in my Halloween CE with a ZK-TB21 amp. Haven't had a chance to test it yet but really looking forward to hearing some needed improvement, especially with better control of the subwoofer level.

#1188 1 year ago

A downside to be aware of with the TPA3116D2 based amps is the unsecured bluetooth which takes priority over the line input. Anybody with a phone within range can connect to it, and I've had the sound drop a couple times mid game because of that. And if you want to stream music over your pinball speakers it can be confusing when you have several of these amps because they all have the same name.

#1189 1 year ago

Who's actually tried the "Boom Boom" from PBL here? I was ordering something else and noticed it, then saw it came with a mounting adapter and even a molex connector already wired...Hell, for $45 bucks and made easy enough for a monkey to install in two minutes, I'll give it a whirl. Curious if anyone had an opinion since I didn't really find it mentioned on a thread search. Seems like a stupid good deal even if it's halfway decent.

#1190 1 year ago
    Quoted from Ollulanus:

Who's actually tried the "Boom Boom" from PBL here? I was ordering something else and noticed it, then saw it came with a mounting adapter and even a molex connector already wired...Hell, for $45 bucks and made easy enough for a monkey to install in two minutes, I'll give it a whirl. Curious if anyone had an opinion since I didn't really find it mentioned on a thread search. Seems like a stupid good deal even if it's halfway decent.

I just installed the Boom3K in my GZ-Premium. Works as stated. Comes with the hole adapter ring, and yes, it even has the molex connector already to be plugged in. Good hefty magnet, and it comes with some reocmmended SETTINGS adjustments when installing it in a Stern. Sounds great and I can almost feel the lower-end sounds in the cabinet, but I also added a shaker as well, so lots to 'feel' in GZ these days!

#1191 1 year ago
    Quoted from Ollulanus:

I didn’t realize the mounting ring and molex were included. That makes it a great value (although I’ve never heard one).

#1192 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinash:

I didn’t realize the mounting ring and molex were included. That makes it a great value (although I’ve never heard one).

Yeah, I've been pretty happy with JBLs, but for about $20 less and an 8" ready to go I'm intrigued. Will report back what I think, I've got a couple dif JBLs and a couple goodwoods in different machines to test against. Honestly my fav thing about putting a decent woofer in the cab is feeling the bass in the cab as you play anyway.

#1193 1 year ago
    Quoted from Markharris2000:

I just installed the Boom3K in my GZ-Premium. Works as stated. Comes with the hole adapter ring, and yes, it even has the molex connector already to be plugged in. Good hefty magnet, and it comes with some reocmmended SETTINGS adjustments when installing it in a Stern. Sounds great and I can almost feel the lower-end sounds in the cabinet, but I also added a shaker as well, so lots to 'feel' in GZ these days!

What are your settings? Did you bump down to their suggested settings? i am finding my experience underwhelming but if you are pushing this out of your pin, I am wondering if you have it set to 8 ohm or 4 ohm? I used their suggested settings and am finding that comparative to stock this speaker seems quitter, which is odd given the clear hardware upgrade.

#1194 1 year ago
    Quoted from Alaskanzen:

What are your settings? Did you bump down to their suggested settings? i am finding my experience underwhelming but if you are pushing this out of your pin, I am wondering if you have it set to 8 ohm or 4 ohm? I used their suggested settings and am finding that comparative to stock this speaker seems quitter, which is odd given the clear hardware upgrade.

I used all of PBL's suggested settings EXCEPT set it to 8 OHM. The BOOM3K speaker is rated 4 OHM, but to me, GZ sounded better set at HM.

#1195 1 year ago

Update: found the boom underwhelming compared to a JBL stage 610. Guess you get what you pay for.

#1196 1 year ago
    Quoted from KSP1138:

A downside to be aware of with the TPA3116D2 based amps is the unsecured bluetooth which takes priority over the line input. Anybody with a phone within range can connect to it, and I've had the sound drop a couple times mid game because of that. And if you want to stream music over your pinball speakers it can be confusing when you have several of these amps because they all have the same name.

I rename the BT devices in my source device(s) to avoid that confusion.

#1197 1 year ago

I have a new to me GZ Premium and would like to change out the speakers (doubt I will go amp tbh) and would like to move from the 4" stock to one of the recommended 5.25" sets. I know speakerlightkits.com has the adapters to do this but they are $50 is there a cheaper option out there?

Also I will be using the myth flaming speaker lights with city scape in my game and I understand clearance can be an issue on aftermarket speakers. Can anyone share which ones are good choice when using this light kit?

TIA

#1198 1 year ago
    Quoted from GCS2000:

I have a new to me GZ Premium and would like to change out the speakers (doubt I will go amp tbh) and would like to move from the 4" stock to one of the recommended 5.25" sets. I know speakerlightkits.com has the adapters to do this but they are $50 is there a cheaper option out there?
    Also I will be using the myth flaming speaker lights with city scape in my game and I understand clearance can be an issue on aftermarket speakers. Can anyone share which ones are good choice when using this light kit?
    TIA

Pbl sells a kit but it may be the price too, other option is 3d print your own . Been looking at this for rush… may just do the Pbl route and be done

#1199 1 year ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

Pbl sells a kit but it may be the price too, other option is 3d print your own . Been looking at this for rush… may just do the Pbl route and be done

PBL is $25 each and you need 2 so $50.

Don't have a 3D printer unfortunately

I have just now found the following

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1312-space-coast-pinball/05610-spike-2-diy-525-speaker-adapters-stern-

https://pinwoofer.com/pinwoofer-spike-2-4in-to-5-25in-pinball-backbox-speaker-mounting-ring-set/

#1200 1 year ago

I always get the Kenwood upgrade with speaker lights from Pinball Life .I like to keep it simple and like how the lights look . Now I am looking to upgrade the sub and was thinking of the Boom Booms .Nice to hear some feedback .I’ll be following this thread as I want to order a couple for GZ and IMDN to go along with the Kenwoods .I would like to be under $100 each so any advice would be appreciated and the Boom Booms are still in play I wouldn’t mind saving the $110 but if there’s a big difference I’d be fine spending the $200 for an upgrade ..

There are 1,822 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 37.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/improving-sound-quality-the-diy-route/page/24 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.