(Topic ID: 307852)

Improving Sound Quality - The DIY Route

By davegauth

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3311120240422_225954 (resized).jpg
    222220240422_214549 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1701 (resized).jpeg
    504783-a257170fca2168983d2a6e1bbfec3f44 (resized).jpg
    received_6742998335800442 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    320-3350_HR_0.default (resized).jpg
    607DEEC4-36DB-45AA-8B61-018875778767 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    slika-1109725-631a4b9a8ef1e-velika-3077129719 (resized).jpg
    5580B012-A4F2-4FA4-ADF1-E8801A418BC1 (resized).jpeg
    8CDE1FF8-62E4-40F4-85EF-E93F22435908 (resized).jpeg
    C5D15E76-AC5F-4258-BC0F-0ECB29263D5B (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20240222-214420_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    February 2024 DIY Super Kit (resized).jpg
    20240218_102558 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 1,828 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 37.
    #1101 1 year ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

Searched thread for CGC discussion but didn’t find much.
    What’s the consensus on the SE remakes, Cactus Canton, for example. The marketing touts “upgraded sound” but how real is that? Are the stock speakers decent or crap like Stern? Any advice on good swap in replacements for backbox and cab for CGC?
    Thanks much.

I have owned a few of the CGC games. The machines with the upgraded sound were just fine. Honestly the classic AFM I had didn't sound bad at all either, the LE had more punch.

#1102 1 year ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

Thoughts on pairing this JBl 810 sub with kicker Cs5 backbox speakers in a modern stern like GZ or IMDN? Winning combo?
    Looking for a swap in upgrade and don’t want to go nuts with pinwoofers or amps or external subs.
    Thanks.

I was very happy with the switch and if I didn't need a bluetooth option I wouldn't of added an amp.

#1103 1 year ago

davegauth - looking at your alpine/kicker comparison, would you say the alpines might be a better option for some pins? Sounds like your ultimate call was kind of GZ specific, and your description of the alpines sound like they might go better in a music pin. Kinda splitting hairs, but deciding what to put in the LZ I just picked up. Important decision when you're listening to the greatest band of all time

#1104 1 year ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

Thoughts on pairing this JBl 810 sub with kicker Cs5 backbox speakers in a modern stern like GZ or IMDN? Winning combo?
    Looking for a swap in upgrade and don’t want to go nuts with pinwoofers or amps or external subs.
    Thanks.

I did this with min, but stuck with kicker 4" for simplicity since I line out to my home theater anyway. Big upgrade, super easy. Then add the myth advanced flaming speaker kit

#1105 1 year ago
    Quoted from Ollulanus:

davegauth - looking at your alpine/kicker comparison, would you say the alpines might be a better option for some pins? Sounds like your ultimate call was kind of GZ specific, and your description of the alpines sound like they might go better in a music pin. Kinda splitting hairs, but deciding what to put in the LZ I just picked up. Important decision when you're listening to the greatest band of all time

In my opinion - the Alpine would be the better choice for a rock pin. Granted you can't go wrong with the Kickers. There is just a bit of a different sound signature to the kickers that I feel fits better with some of the artificial sounds of some pins.

I have Alpines waiting to go into my personal Rush... Still waiting on that new cabinet... GRrrrrrrrrrrrr

Just as an aside.. If I were to replace the speakers in my truck - I would go with the alpines for sure. It's really hard to beat the all around clean sound of them and the smooth silk dome tweaters of anything else in the same price level.

#1106 1 year ago
    Quoted from davegauth:

In my opinion - the Alpine would be the better choice for a rock pin. Granted you can't go wrong with the Kickers. There is just a bit of a different sound signature to the kickers that I feel fits better with some of the artificial sounds of some pins.
    I have Alpines waiting to go into my personal Rush... Still waiting on that new cabinet... GRrrrrrrrrrrrr
    Just as an aside.. If I were to replace the speakers in my truck - I would go with the alpines for sure. It's really hard to beat the all around clean sound of them and the smooth silk dome tweaters of anything else in the same price level.

Thanks, I was pretty sure from your review you were going to say that. Do you happen to know if those are similar profile to the Kickers/Kenwood's? I just ordered the expression lighting speaker lights from ninja camp, gotta make sure the alpines will fit.

Also: What sub/midrange cab speaker are you going with for your rush?

#1107 1 year ago

Oh, and jackd104 - I wired a cheap crossover ($10-15 on Amazon) in front of the subwoofer and just turned off the stern EQ. You could probably get 10% improvement with the EQ if you want to play with it, but this was easy and sounds way better than stock with minimal hassle.

#1108 1 year ago

i saw some people used sex bolts to secure the new cabinet sub...

what else can i use?

would just longer 6/32 bolts with original nuts be fine?

original bolts has some sort of t-nut that goes into the cabinet wood...

thx for the help.

#1109 1 year ago
    Quoted from Paseb:

i saw some people used sex bolts to secure the new cabinet sub...
    what else can i use?
    would just longer 6/32 bolts with original nuts be fine?
    original bolts has some sort of t-nut that goes into the cabinet wood...
    thx for the help.

I too was going to reuse original nuts but I didn't have any longer 6/32, so I went with 8/32 bolts and nuts that I had plenty of. I didn't drill hole any bigger and the 8/32 threaded them self.

PXL_20230110_170922573 (resized).jpgPXL_20230110_170922573 (resized).jpg
    #1110 1 year ago
    Quoted from Spiderpin:

I too was going to reuse original nuts but I didn't have any longer 6/32, so I went with 8/32 bolts and nuts that I had plenty of. I didn't drill hole any bigger and the 8/32 threaded them self.[quoted image]

Thx , did the same and it worked perfectly

#1111 1 year ago

Bought a Pinsound cabinet speaker and the posts in the cabinet aren’t long enough to fasten the spacer down. Anyone have this issue?

#1112 1 year ago

Just wanted to thank Pete-d , and robcraig for the stl files. I just got a 3d printer for Christmas. After the budda and the benchy. This is the first thing I printed and they came out damn near perfect. I really appreciate your guys effort. Thanks

09E48D8B-72FE-4087-96CE-B0C932D03AF4 (resized).jpeg09E48D8B-72FE-4087-96CE-B0C932D03AF4 (resized).jpeg
    #1113 1 year ago
    Quoted from livetowin:

Bought a Pinsound cabinet speaker and the posts in the cabinet aren’t long enough to fasten the spacer down. Anyone have this issue?

I tapped the original bolts out then drilled approx 1/4" up from the bottom of cabinet and re installed the original bolts into the counter sunk hole. Worked great, no need to buy new bolts. Use a drill bit that is the same diameter or slightly larger than the head of the original bolts. Quick and easy.

#1114 1 year ago

I'm looking to upgrade the sound on my recently acquired Spike 2 Rush Pro and have been reading the posts which have a lot of good info. I went to order the Subwoofer and Line-Out cable for the CN5 connector mentioned in post #244 from Pinsound but didn't realize they were in France until I was checking out and saw the 2 to 5 weeks shipping time. I searched US pin suppliers hoping to find the Pinsound cable in the US for quicker shipping. I don't have the molex pins or tools to make my own mentioned in this thread. My question is does anyone know of a US source that has the PinSound cable? If not, then I'll place my order with PinSound, I know they have quicker shipping options which are expensive considering the cable is $20 and I'd rather pay for the standard 2 to 5 weeks shipping.

Thanks,
    David

#1115 1 year ago
    Quoted from rocketman:

I'm looking to upgrade the sound on my recently acquired Spike 2 Rush Pro and have been reading the posts which have a lot of good info. I went to order the Subwoofer and Line-Out cable for the CN5 connector mentioned in post #244 from Pinsound but didn't realize they were in France until I was checking out and saw the 2 to 5 weeks shipping time. I searched US pin suppliers hoping to find the Pinsound cable in the US for quicker shipping. I don't have the molex pins or tools to make my own mentioned in this thread. My question is does anyone know of a US source that has the PinSound cable? If not, then I'll place my order with PinSound, I know they have quicker shipping options which are expensive considering the cable is $20 and I'd rather pay for the standard 2 to 5 weeks shipping.
    Thanks,
    David

This will get you there, and they generally ship fast: https://pinnovators.myshopify.com/collections/stern-subwoofer-kits/products/pinsub-spike-spike2-stern-kit

The line out will be in front of the stern EQ; you can use that if you want, or turn off EQ in settings.

Rest of the stuff for my LZ upgrade came today, woot.

#1116 1 year ago
    Quoted from rocketman:

Thanks,
    David

I think you will receive it much faster than 5 weeks. I've received my orders in about 10 days.

#1117 1 year ago
    Quoted from Ollulanus:

This will get you there, and they generally ship fast: https://pinnovators.myshopify.com/collections/stern-subwoofer-kits/products/pinsub-spike-spike2-stern-kit
    The line out will be in front of the stern EQ; you can use that if you want, or turn off EQ in settings.
    Rest of the stuff for my LZ upgrade came today, woot.

Thanks and I looked at this Pinnovator gizmo but would rather use the CN5 connector than the speaker connections. I went ahead and ordered 2 cables from Pinsound last night and being in France, got an order shipped email this morning. I have a Munsters too so figured I'd get a cable for that one as well and be ready if/when I do auxiliary sound for it.

#1118 1 year ago
    Quoted from davegauth:

I think you will receive it much faster than 5 weeks. I've received my orders in about 10 days.

I have a basic question which I may have missed finding info about in this topic. Can I use a surround sound system like for a TV and connect the CN5's line-out cable/jack to the input of the surround sound replacing the TV's input? I don't have any surround sound/audio experience so might sound like a strange question, but I have to start somewhere getting Rush to sound better!!

Thanks

#1119 1 year ago

Alright, so my new kickers speakers and jbl sub are in but i dont know the next steps. Thx for the help guys, im scratching my head. Lol
    3983C379-21DF-4038-8671-00C40C39C0CC (resized).jpeg3983C379-21DF-4038-8671-00C40C39C0CC (resized).jpeg593F486D-CAE0-4EA4-9014-FC4F6949E3B9 (resized).jpeg593F486D-CAE0-4EA4-9014-FC4F6949E3B9 (resized).jpegD0136E33-789C-4DD5-9F4E-141C7372D223 (resized).jpegD0136E33-789C-4DD5-9F4E-141C7372D223 (resized).jpeg

46220744-2DCA-48CF-930E-6B7C13FA48A0 (resized).jpeg46220744-2DCA-48CF-930E-6B7C13FA48A0 (resized).jpegF3F1D357-EEE1-4E2D-9FF3-F643E717C0A1 (resized).jpegF3F1D357-EEE1-4E2D-9FF3-F643E717C0A1 (resized).jpeg
    #1120 1 year ago
    Quoted from Paseb:

Alright, so my new kickers speakers and jbl sub are in but i dont know the next steps. Thx for the help guys, im scratching my head. Lol

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-rush-owners-club-1/page/37#post-6808277

This post covers pretty much everything you need to do since you have all of the parts, already.

If you're not using a powered sub, then you would just run R/L from CN5 on the Spike2 board to the RCA inputs on your Dayton amp, then out to the R/L speakers and sub, making sure to unplug the sub and R/L speakers from CN1 and CN4.

#1121 1 year ago
    Quoted from schwts:

Just wanted to thank Pete-d , and robcraig for the stl files. I just got a 3d printer for Christmas. After the budda and the benchy. This is the first thing I printed and they came out damn near perfect. I really appreciate your guys effort. Thanks
    [quoted image]

I've a super small window to find the stl files to get someone to print these for me.

I'd save the posts bit can't drive this forum to bring up the post!

Can someone link the Pete d files that has the separate spacer for the full bracket replacement with the 5 inch speakers?

#1122 1 year ago
    Quoted from benime:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-rush-owners-club-1/page/37#post-6808277
    This post covers pretty much everything you need to do since you have all of the parts, already.
    If you're not using a powered sub, then you would just run R/L from CN5 on the Spike2 board to the RCA inputs on your Dayton amp, then out to the R/L speakers and sub, making sure to unplug the sub and R/L speakers from CN1 and CN4.

I also have a powered polk sub

Do i need to run each bb speaker to left right amp? So all 4 will we plugged in?
    Same thing for cab speaker, run it to left right amp ?

My cn5 to stereo sub is connected to external polk sub
    My cn5 to stereo line-out is connected to nothing.

#1123 1 year ago
    Quoted from Paseb:

I also have a powered polk sub
    Do i need to run each bb speaker to left right amp? So all 4 will we plugged in?
    Same thing for cab speaker, run it to left right amp ?
    My cn5 to stereo sub is connected to external polk sub
    My cn5 to stereo line-out is connected to nothing.

CN5 -> Dayton Amp and Powered Sub
    Dayton Amp -> Backbox and Cabinet speaker

Although if you have the powered sub you probably don't need the cabinet speaker/JBL.

#1124 1 year ago
    Quoted from benime:

CN5 -> Dayton Amp and Powered Sub
    Dayton Amp -> Backbox and Cabinet speaker
    Although if you have the powered sub you probably don't need the cabinet speaker/JBL.

I really, like the effect of decent sub rumbling the cab while playing. I line out to a Definitive Tech 6.1 system and still add a sub to all the pins.

#1125 1 year ago

I just put this JBL 82A in my led zep, and I have the 810 in my GZ. Thought I'd try the other as it's listed as a free air design, might work better in an pin cab. I wouldn't say I can really tell a difference, both sound fine.

JBL 8" Car Audio Subwoofer https://a.co/d/5eORTmv

#1126 1 year ago

Install done! Challenging, but i made it! Now i need to play with settings.

Is it just the eq i need to do?

Im at 8ohm backbox and cab

As for the ground loop, do i have to connect it right after the dayton amp or at the pinsound cn5 to stero line out?

E0740A47-4809-47E5-B3DB-70AE4BBB0E02 (resized).jpegE0740A47-4809-47E5-B3DB-70AE4BBB0E02 (resized).jpeg

#1127 1 year ago

My new JB Premium has a very crackly sound, so I decided to get the speaker light kit and upgrade the backbox to 5.25".
    I just got the standard Kenwood ones (I know I know, they are crap, but it's JB sound from 60 years ago and not a rock concert, so they should suffice and it's affordable).

I installed the lights and was playing without the backbox speakers because they won't come until this evening.
    It turns out it's the cabinet speaker that emits the majority of the crackly distorted sound.

I need some help to fix that, ideally with a drop-in replacement. I don't need an amp - the machines run typically only on volume level 5 or 6, I just want no gramophone-esque or clipping distortion.

I found a link earlier in this thread to a lowpass filter: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B009D9KHZ2/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1
    would that help?
    Or should I get another speaker instead, or both?

As said, if I can get a drop-in replacement that would be ideal and I don't want to spend $200 on a speaker that is not exercised above 5% of what it can do either.
    I've seen some 8" ceiling full-range speakers. OR should I go with a dedicated woofer (I suspect they are larger in size) and the lowpass filter?

Thanks for the help!

Edit:
    Amazon suggested these subwoofer on the LP filter page:
    https://smile.amazon.com/Hifonics-Brutus-Shallow-Subwoofer-400W/dp/B079CHVTPX/ref=psdc_1294866011_t5_B00I9TSXKI
    https://smile.amazon.com/BOSS-Audio-CXX8-Car-Subwoofer/dp/B00I9TSXKI/ref=pd_bxgy_vft_none_img_sccl_1/145-4650186-5603446

They are in a price range that's suitable for me.

#1128 1 year ago
    Quoted from T3quila:

My new JB Premium has a very crackly sound, so I decided to get the speaker light kit and upgrade the backbox to 5.25".
    I just got the standard Kenwood ones (I know I know, they are crap, but it's JB sound from 60 years ago and not a rock concert, so they should suffice and it's affordable).
    I installed the lights and was playing without the backbox speakers because they won't come until this evening.
    It turns out it's the cabinet speaker that emits the majority of the crackly distorted sound.
    I need some help to fix that, ideally with a drop-in replacement. I don't need an amp - the machines run typically only on volume level 5 or 6, I just want no gramophone-esque or clipping distortion.
    I found a link earlier in this thread to a lowpass filter: amazon.com link »
    would that help?
    Or should I get another speaker instead, or both?
    As said, if I can get a drop-in replacement that would be ideal and I don't want to spend $200 on a speaker that is not exercised above 5% of what it can do either.
    I've seen some 8" ceiling full-range speakers. OR should I go with a dedicated woofer (I suspect they are larger in size) and the lowpass filter?
    Thanks for the help!
    Edit:
    Amazon suggested these subwoofer on the LP filter page:
    amazon.com link »
    amazon.com link »
    They are in a price range that's suitable for me.

Unfortunatley the 007 JB sounds like crap when the ball is in the pops. It isn't the quality of the track - it's the ability of the speakers to produce the lower bass notes that are used in the sound effect.

So 2 ways to combat this....

1 - Activate the 10 band EQ, go into the cabinet EQ, and drop out the lower couple of frequency bands on the EQ. This will ease up on the low frequencies being sent to the speaker that it can't handle - reducing your crunchy crunchy sound.

2 - Upgrade the sound system to include replacing the cabinet speaker with something that can better handle the lower frequencies it is trying to play.

I have a JB on location, so I understand what you are talking about, and it is very prominant and disconcerting. I choose option #1 above, as it's a location pin and I needed a quick fix.

#1129 1 year ago
    Quoted from davegauth:

Unfortunatley the 007 JB sounds like crap when the ball is in the pops. It isn't the quality of the track - it's the ability of the speakers to produce the lower bass notes that are used in the sound effect.
    So 2 ways to combat this....
    1 - Activate the 10 band EQ, go into the cabinet EQ, and drop out the lower couple of frequency bands on the EQ. This will ease up on the low frequencies being sent to the speaker that it can't handle - reducing your crunchy crunchy sound.
    2 - Upgrade the sound system to include replacing the cabinet speaker with something that can better handle the lower frequencies it is trying to play.
    I have a JB on location, so I understand what you are talking about, and it is very prominant and disconcerting. I choose option #1 above, as it's a location pin and I needed a quick fix.

So if i get that right it's actually not the higher frequencies but the low ones that trip up the cabinet speaker. So a LP filter won't do squat.

The speakers that i linked in the previous post, would they be able to handle that or are they still too small / crappy?
    Or in other words, what, in your opinion, would be the minimal viable product? $50, $60 range maybe? Or is there nothing that will help in that range?
    Thank you for your help!
    And thank you for the tip with the EQ. I'll give that a shot if the cabinet speaker replacement route won't pan out!

#1130 1 year ago

Hey all quick question, I have a spare set of tower speakers that I thought of connecting to my Rush Pro. I ordered that CN5 connector from France that was mentioned earlier in this thread but was wondering, would one of those small amps people typically link to be enough to power such speakers? I do have a spare Denon A/V receiver as well and was gonna use that, but if a small amp would work just as well then that'd be fine.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #1131 1 year ago
    Quoted from T3quila:

So if i get that right it's actually not the higher frequencies but the low ones that trip up the cabinet speaker. So a LP filter won't do squat.
    The speakers that i linked in the previous post, would they be able to handle that or are they still too small / crappy?
    Or in other words, what, in your opinion, would be the minimal viable product? $50, $60 range maybe? Or is there nothing that will help in that range?
    Thank you for your help!
    And thank you for the tip with the EQ. I'll give that a shot if the cabinet speaker replacement route won't pan out!

I use the Skar for a cheap replacement that helps a lot:
    Skar Audio FSX8-8 8" https://a.co/d/0a790fl

This one also has been recommended:
    https://www.pinballlife.com/boom-boom-3000-8-speaker-upgrade-for-spike-spike-2-machines.html

Or the JBL l:
    JBL Stage810 - 8" https://a.co/d/76EMSjH

#1132 1 year ago
    Quoted from prentice:

I use the Skar for a cheap replacement that helps a lot:
    Skar Audio FSX8-8 8" https://a.co/d/0a790fl
    This one also has been recommended:
    https://www.pinballlife.com/boom-boom-3000-8-speaker-upgrade-for-spike-spike-2-machines.html
    Or the JBL l:
    JBL Stage810 - 8" https://a.co/d/76EMSjH

Awesome, thank you for the recommendation!
    I may try the pinball life one for the simple reason that i can put more crap into the order, need light sockets and such stuff and don't want to pay shipping for like 20$ worth of parts.

#1133 1 year ago
    Quoted from rocketman:

I have a basic question which I may have missed finding info about in this topic. Can I use a surround sound system like for a TV and connect the CN5's line-out cable/jack to the input of the surround sound replacing the TV's input? I don't have any surround sound/audio experience so might sound like a strange question, but I have to start somewhere getting Rush to sound better!!
    Thanks

Yes.

#1134 1 year ago

Thanks, then I’ll start with a surround sound system first to improve the sound over the Pro’s speakers .... it can’t be any worse. Found a nice freebie surround sound system on Craigslist last year so might as well use it. CN5 cable from France should be here next week.

#1135 1 year ago

Any suggestions for the BB & cabinet for the stern equalizer 10 settings?

#1136 1 year ago

Has anyone by chance made Spike2 speaker adapters for 6.5 inch speakers? I realize they'd have to be offset from center and overhang on the inside, but I found some unused 6.5 inch Dual 2-ways at a thrift store for so cheap that I just had to try!

#1137 1 year ago
    Quoted from bossk4hire:

Any suggestions for the BB & cabinet for the stern equalizer 10 settings?

Check post #62

#1138 1 year ago

For those curious about delivery time of the Pinsound CN5 line out connector from France, I ordered it on Jan 12 and it just arrived today Jan 19, very quick.

#1139 1 year ago
    Quoted from arrbee:

I've a super small window to find the stl files to get someone to print these for me.
    I'd save the posts bit can't drive this forum to bring up the post!
    Can someone link the Pete d files that has the separate spacer for the full bracket replacement with the 5 inch speakers?

A quick shout out to schwts for messaging me so quick with the link. I was able to get a copy of the brackets printed before boarding a plane home.

Also, of course pete_d for all the work put into the design and for sharing the files.

I've a few things to install over the coming weeks so hopefully it wont be long before I get to hear the new speakers.

#1140 1 year ago
    Quoted from Reality_Studio:

For those curious about delivery time of the Pinsound CN5 line out connector from France, I ordered it on Jan 12 and it just arrived today Jan 19, very quick.

I was going the post the same.... no worries with shipping from France and you get French candies too !!!! Ordered my CN5 cables late last Thursday night the 12th so shipped on Friday and got my cables yesterday the 19th too.

#1141 1 year ago

For anyone who has used pete_d printable speaker brackets, how did you secure the speakers?

It looks like they can take a bolt with hex head.... ?
    What specs work?

Or maybe just a screw into the bracket works well?

I was able to reuse the original screed for the LCD panel with a small screw driver.

Added 15 months ago:

Nevermind. I see that info is included in the 3d model link.

#1142 1 year ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Has anyone by chance made Spike2 speaker adapters for 6.5 inch speakers? I realize they'd have to be offset from center and overhang on the inside, but I found some unused 6.5 inch Dual 2-ways at a thrift store for so cheap that I just had to try!

You can do it, be the 1st. Be that Pioneer and Speaker to us of how to do it. We'll thank you verymuch DanQ. 'pun intended'

#1143 1 year ago

I had a Bluetooth Transmitter/ Receiver that was used on a old TV (2015) . TV was given to a niece few years ago but I kept the Bluetooth transmitter.

Installed it in my Godzilla and paired it to my JBL Charge4. It also paired to the Dayton amplifier in my Aerosmith automatic. So I then turned off the Charge4. I may do all my pins this way now and Bluetooth to a Old Home Stereo Receiver that has Bluetooth.

Question? Can I plug the USB cord from Transmitter in to USB on main board in cabinet next to USB wifi adapter?

Is this a game changer, after I bought 4 amplifiers (only installed 1), 4 JBL Stage 810 subwoofers and 4 pairs of speakers.

Here's a transmitter on Amazon, not the one I have because it's been discontinued.
    UGREEN Bluetooth 5.1 Transmitter Receiver 2 in 1 Wireless USB Bluetooth Adapter Built-in Microphone 3.5mm Audio Bluetooth Dongle Driver Free for TV, Home Stereo, Car Stereo, Headphones, Speakers, PC https://a.co/d/fqrJ8ts

PXL_20230121_162131691 (resized).jpgPXL_20230121_162131691 (resized).jpgPXL_20230121_162253111 (resized).jpgPXL_20230121_162253111 (resized).jpgPXL_20230121_164853729 (resized).jpgPXL_20230121_164853729 (resized).jpg16743202255727433869178644174769 (resized).jpg16743202255727433869178644174769 (resized).jpg

#1144 1 year ago

Question? Can I plug the USB cord from Transmitter in to USB on main board in cabinet next to USB wifi adapter?

Answer: Yes

PXL_20230123_010639717 (resized).jpgPXL_20230123_010639717 (resized).jpgPXL_20230123_010644995 (resized).jpgPXL_20230123_010644995 (resized).jpg
    #1145 1 year ago

Hi,

I recently got a Rush Pro and looking to upgrade the audio and have found this DIY topic were helpful and I have a couple questions/clarifications, and these might be newbie audiophile ones but I have no home entertainment, etc. experience. I have the Pinsound CN5 cable and have hooked the L/R stereo output jack to a donated home theater surround sound system which worked but just doesn't have the power to produce loud audio so I'm moving on and replacing it.

Question is I read in posts from 10 months ago that the Pinsound CN5 cable had issues with the subwoofer output cable that didn't produce a good/loud enough signal to connect to a powered subwoofer and asking if this is still the case? I've read posts where a small amplifier like a Fosi Audio BT20A was used to drive L and R speakers but these don't have a subwoofer output yet there was a powered subwoofer also hooked up. Do you use the cabinet speaker's leads as the input for the powered subwoofer in this case?

I also read where you shouldn't have your head speakers hooked up when using the CN5 cable? Is this because you could do damage to the Spike 2 audio board? Or does the Spike 2 audio board drive a signal that is shared with the head speakers and CN5 cable? I'd like to keep using the head speakers as they face you when playing but don't want to damage anything by keeping them hooked up when using the CN5 cable. What is the best way to keep using your head speakers? Do you need to wire them to an auxiliary amp? These questions may be mute if I go with this Sony unit but I'd still like to know as I have a The Munsters that I'd like to upgrade the audio on. I've found a Sony STR-DG810 6.1 Channel Home Theatre Receiver at the local farmers/vendors market that I think will produce good sound. The specs say it is 100 watts x 6 into 8 ohms. It has 6 speaker outputs with RCA jacks plus a 7th with the clamp style connectors so if I go this route, then I assume I can use 2 of the speaker outputs for the head speakers and other speaker outputs for auxiliary speakers. It also has a signal jack subwoofer output for a powered subwoofer. The input jacks don't have a dedicate "aux" left and right inputs that I've seen on other amps but have 1 set of audio input jacks labeled as "Super Audio CD player or CD player, etc." so I assume this will accept the Spike 2 CN5 audio signal?

Thanks,

David

#1146 1 year ago
    Quoted from rocketman:

Hi,
    I recently got a Rush Pro and looking to upgrade the audio and have found this DIY topic were helpful and I have a couple questions/clarifications, and these might be newbie audiophile ones but I have no home entertainment, etc. experience. I have the Pinsound CN5 cable and have hooked the L/R stereo output jack to a donated home theater surround sound system which worked but just doesn't have the power to produce loud audio so I'm moving on and replacing it.
    Question is I read in posts from 10 months ago that the Pinsound CN5 cable had issues with the subwoofer output cable that didn't produce a good/loud enough signal to connect to a powered subwoofer and asking if this is still the case? I've read posts where a small amplifier like a Fosi Audio BT20A was used to drive L and R speakers but these don't have a subwoofer output yet there was a powered subwoofer also hooked up. Do you use the cabinet speaker's leads as the input for the powered subwoofer in this case?
    I also read where you shouldn't have your head speakers hooked up when using the CN5 cable? Is this because you could do damage to the Spike 2 audio board? Or does the Spike 2 audio board drive a signal that is shared with the head speakers and CN5 cable? I'd like to keep using the head speakers as they face you when playing but don't want to damage anything by keeping them hooked up when using the CN5 cable. What is the best way to keep using your head speakers? Do you need to wire them to an auxiliary amp? These questions may be mute if I go with this Sony unit but I'd still like to know as I have a The Munsters that I'd like to upgrade the audio on. I've found a Sony STR-DG810 6.1 Channel Home Theatre Receiver at the local farmers/vendors market that I think will produce good sound. The specs say it is 100 watts x 6 into 8 ohms. It has 6 speaker outputs with RCA jacks plus a 7th with the clamp style connectors so if I go this route, then I assume I can use 2 of the speaker outputs for the head speakers and other speaker outputs for auxiliary speakers. It also has a signal jack subwoofer output for a powered subwoofer. The input jacks don't have a dedicate "aux" left and right inputs that I've seen on other amps but have 1 set of audio input jacks labeled as "Super Audio CD player or CD player, etc." so I assume this will accept the Spike 2 CN5 audio signal?
    Thanks,
    David

I use the CN5 cable and both of it's outputs, one goes directly to my subwoofer, the other to a Fosil BT20A which then outputs to some tower speakers. My sub is powered and has it's own amp along with controls to set its output level, so having the sub cable go directly from the CN5 connector to the sub works great, plenty of power, I actually have it set to maybe 40% of it's power. The tower speakers have no internal amp, hence first to the Fosil, then to the speakers.

I don't know if you have to unplug the internal speakers but I ended up unplugging them all, both head and the single cabinet speaker because I found it sounded worse with them still active. I find I get far better audio separation with the head speakers disconnected. I also disabled the internal eq (an option in the Stern audio menu) which also helped sound quality. I was concerned that maybe it would sound odd with the tower speakers being lower down than the speaker in the head, but that wasn't the case at all at least to my ears.

I originally thought about using a spare a/v receiver as well but turns out that little Fosil can power the tower speakers without issue, in fact it remains cool after being in use for a while. Side bonus is that it's tiny and power on automatically with the game.

So to summarize:

CN5 Subwoofer cable -> Sub woofer
    CN5 L/R cable -> Fosil amp -> Tower speakers

Sounds nice and plenty loud on my end. The only thing that confused me is that the Stern internal amp still works, like the games volume control still works, implying that the Stern amp is still part of the audio chain so I guess that means less than ideal audio. I thought the CN5 was a pre-out so it would be unamplified and just send a pure signal to the external amps but that doesn't seem to be the case.
    22d447a9cf2dd23765a937f94fe53b900627b686 (resized).jpg22d447a9cf2dd23765a937f94fe53b900627b686 (resized).jpg

#1147 1 year ago
    Quoted from rocketman:

Hi,
    Thanks,
    David

I got the pinsound cable about 2 months ago and just tested it there now.
    The sub out seems to work fine on my one.

#1148 1 year ago

Has anyone had issues with the Fosi BT30a amps? I've got 1 that is perfect, 1 that is a little noisy, and 1 that is really noisy. I've swapped amps between games to rule out any cabling and power supply issues and the noise follows the amp. I've got the worst of the amps apart now to test it, but I wanted to check if anyone had seen this too and figured anything out.

#1149 1 year ago

Sidebar: anyone have a rec for a replacement speaker for a classic stern (Seawitch). Obviously not looking for hi-fi, just need a replacement and not sure what would be a good fit.

#1150 1 year ago
    Quoted from KSP1138:

Has anyone had issues with the Fosi BT30a amps? I've got 1 that is perfect, 1 that is a little noisy, and 1 that is really noisy. I've swapped amps between games to rule out any cabling and power supply issues and the noise follows the amp. I've got the worst of the amps apart now to test it, but I wanted to check if anyone had seen this too and figured anything out.

I replaced one of the bad Fosi BT30D's with one of these DIY TPA3116 chip amps and so far so good. I'm still using the Fosi power supply.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089KT3FG9

No idea yet what is going on with the 2 noisy Fosi BT30D amps. I ordered them at the same time, so maybe these 2 are a different design rev from the first one I bought a few months back. Or they started using some lower quality parts.

There are 1,828 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 37.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/improving-sound-quality-the-diy-route/page/23?hl=ksp1138 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.