Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,822 posts
  • 247 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 days ago by Ollulanus
  • Topic is favorited by 376 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1701 (resized).jpeg
    504783-a257170fca2168983d2a6e1bbfec3f44 (resized).jpg
    received_6742998335800442 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    320-3350_HR_0.default (resized).jpg
    607DEEC4-36DB-45AA-8B61-018875778767 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    slika-1109725-631a4b9a8ef1e-velika-3077129719 (resized).jpg
    5580B012-A4F2-4FA4-ADF1-E8801A418BC1 (resized).jpeg
    8CDE1FF8-62E4-40F4-85EF-E93F22435908 (resized).jpeg
    C5D15E76-AC5F-4258-BC0F-0ECB29263D5B (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20240222-214420_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    February 2024 DIY Super Kit (resized).jpg
    20240218_102558 (resized).jpg
    20240218_101946 (resized).jpg
    20240218_101928 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 1,822 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 37.
    #951 1 year ago

So I’ve done the fosi amp, 5.25” kickers and JBL sub on my GZ. Here’s my take. My guess is this setup sounds much like a pin woofer, probably better given the higher quality speakers. I’ve never owned pin woofer so take my statement for what it’s worth.

Yes my sound quality is a bit better than stick and I can feel the bass in my fingers while I play. I like that. It’s like a shaker on steroids. It’s also nice not to have a large Polk sub under the game. But the biggest drawback is you can only make it thump so much before you start getting rattles from the machine. More than just the glass, which is easily fixed with tape. This makes me nervous as I’d hate to create a cracked solder or mess up a node board. Maybe I’m overreacting.

If I had to do over I would continue with just adding the external sub. Crank it as loud as you want and zero rattles.

Maybe my equalizer settings are off with my current setup. I duplicated what I saw earlier in the thread and I don’t know enough about these settings to play around to optimize the sound. I’m running 8ohms everywhere and zero fade

#952 1 year ago
    Quoted from Spiderpin:

Let me say that I'm late to this topic.
    Just start and read all post a few weeks ago. I ordered and received the Amplifier and subwoofer after seeing davegauth recommendations.
    I already had the 5.25 Rockford Fosgate in my Aerosmith. So this is the pin that received the update.
    Only played one song (Bluetooth) I had to feel the air coming from the port. Check that box. Then I played one game (with glass off) still didn't achieve high score before I had to go to work.
    Tomorrow I'll mount box to cabinet and do the crossover after I read what I need to do. As of now I do hear Big Better Sound coming out of my Pinball/Jukebox.
    Thanks davegauth

Great work! - be sure to post up a bunch of detailed pics of the box, how you built it and mounted it. BTW - which amp did you do with?

Definitely try to compare glass rattle etc. if you do different pins. I have an theory that by enclosing the sub, it will cut down on rattle of all types as the cabinet is no longer needed as a pressure zone. You are a couple steps ahead of me - my replacement Rush cabinet still hasn't shipped....

The only weird thing I picked up, is it showed it was tuned to 50hz - Porting a box should allow tuning a little lower than that.

#953 1 year ago
    Quoted from davegauth:

Great work! - be sure to post up a bunch of detailed pics of the box, how you built it and mounted it. BTW - which amp did you do with?
    Definitely try to compare glass rattle etc. if you do different pins. I have an theory that by enclosing the sub, it will cut down on rattle of all types as the cabinet is no longer needed as a pressure zone. You are a couple steps ahead of me - my replacement Rush cabinet still hasn't shipped....
    The only weird thing I picked up, is it showed it was tuned to 50hz - Porting a box should allow tuning a little lower than that.

Here what I went with;
    Dayton DTA-2.1BT2
    https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-DTA-2.1BT2-100W-2.1-Class-D-Bluetooth-Amplifier-with-Sub-Frequency-Adjustment-300-3831

JBL STAGE 810 (2 pack)
    Pair of JBL Stage 810 8" Car Audio Subwoofer Bundle https://a.co/d/6sHfGut

Already had backbox speakers installed, Rockford Fosgate R1525x2
    Rockford Fosgate R1525X2 Prime... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BF6HX9E

BESIGN Ground Loop Noise Isolator... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XQYN77L

Grasshopper didn't mean to venture out in the wild without the Master.
    I've been at it all week, so I'm going to do family thing this weekend and start back up on Monday.

PS. I have my Amplifier plugged into backbox service receptacle. I noticed that when I turned pinball machine off it switched from line input to Bluetooth. I did like that. Later

#954 1 year ago
    Quoted from Spiderpin:

Here what I went with;
    Dayton DTA-2.1BT2
    https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-DTA-2.1BT2-100W-2.1-Class-D-Bluetooth-Amplifier-with-Sub-Frequency-Adjustment-300-3831
    JBL STAGE 810 (2 pack)
    Pair of JBL Stage 810 8" Car Audio Subwoofer Bundle https://a.co/d/6sHfGut
    Already had backbox speakers installed, Rockford Fosgate R1525x2
    Rockford Fosgate R1525X2 Prime... amazon.com link »
    BESIGN Ground Loop Noise Isolator... amazon.com link »
    Grasshopper didn't mean to venture out in the wild without the Master.
    I've been at it all week, so I'm going to do family thing this weekend and start back up on Monday.
    PS. I have my Amplifier plugged into backbox service receptacle. I noticed that when I turned pinball machine off it switched from line input to Bluetooth. I did like that. Later

LOL.... I'm cheering you on grasshopper... no need to worry about going ahead... I'll watch and follow your path and celebrate your victory.

Then again.... If you get eaten by a bird, I'll be sure to hop in a different direction....

great stuff..

#955 1 year ago

So the two sets of kickers I bought on ebay... those never shipped. I paid immediately on winning. Got a message saying they would ship the next morning, then nothing for over a week. Messaged twice asking for tracking. Then I got refunded out of the blue. The 8inch speaker I grabbed from amazon did show up. I will have to scrounge up another pair of 5.25 for deadpool.

#956 1 year ago

I ended up going with a Lepai 168HA in my System 1 build because it's the only 2.1 channel amp I've found that doesn't have bluetooth. The last thing I need is some kid pairing his phone to my game at a show and playing something inappropriate. I'm sure it could be disabled by lifting a pin or cutting a trace between the BT chip and amplifier but I haven't looked into it yet.

Anyway, this review on Parts Express is super interesting but haven't found a complete writeup elsewhere on the web. The sub output is clipping hard almost immediately... how did Spooky ever manage to use this amp in TNA? Going to try the subwoofer distortion fix and see what I can figure out.

Reasonalbe low power stereo amp. Forget the subwoofer ouput.
    WARNING – The outputs are all BTL (Bridged Transformer Less). This means that no outputs of the left, right, and subwoofer channels are common and MUST NOT BE EXTERNALLY CONNECTED TO EACH OTHER. Doing so will cause excess heating and distortion and may destroy the amplifier.

My intended use of this amplifier is for my bedroom TV. The TV has no external speaker connectors but it does have volume controlled line level outputs and the ability to turn off the internal speakers. This amplifier provides me with what I need. That is: clean power (less than 0.2% up to clipping), good frequency response, and 5 or so watts to drive the speakers. The sub woofer output will not be used.

Recently I have purchased a total of four of the amplifiers. I put the them all on the bench and ran power and distortion tests before use. I found that performance for all four to be almost identical and a long way from the specs.

STEREO AMPLIFIER PERFORMANCE:
    Power Output – I measured single channel power output at 1KHz just below clipping and found that power output was 5.1 watts at 8 ohms, 7 watts at 4 ohms, and 5.2watts at 2 ohms. Power stayed within a few percent over the range of 20Hz to 20KHz.

Distortion – I checked distortion at just below clipping at 8 ohms. Distortion was 0.12% at 1KHz, 0.095% at 100Hz, and 0.25% at 20Hz. I did not check higher frequency distortion. Output power and distortion did not change significantly when both channels were driven.

Frequency Response and Sensitivity – With the tone controls adjusted for maximum flatness the outputs were 3dB down at 20Hz and 55KHz. With the volume control set to max (CW), 226mV was required at 1KHz to produce levels just below clipping.

SUBWOOFER AMPLIFIER PERFORMANCE:
    Power Output – I measured the subwoofer power output at just below clipping at 20Hz, 50Hz and 200Hz. I measured 5.12 watts at 8 ohms, 6.76 watts at 4 ohms. At 2 ohms I measured 8.82 watts at 50 and 200Hz and 5.6 watts at 20Hz.

Distortion – I measured distortion at just below clipping from 20Hz to 200Hz. At 8 ohms, distortion was between 5.2% and 5.8%. At 4 ohms, distortion was between 10% and 11% over that frequency range. At 2 ohms, distortion was 21% at 50 and 200Hz and at 20Hz, output level was lower and distortion was 17%. I reduced the level to 1 watt into 8 ohms at 50Hz and still measured 5% distortion.

Input Sensitivity – With the SUB VOLUME set to max (CW), 15.6mV is required to produce levels just below clipping. This means that the subwoofer channel has 14.5X (23dB) more gain than the stereo channels. Sub-volume is not adjusted by the main volume control. Matching the two levels requires that the sub volume need only be turned a few degrees clockwise.

Frequency response – Maximum output was at 24Hz and relative to this frequency was 3dB down at 9Hz and 61Hz and down 17dB at 200Hz. Independent of the X-OVER control’s setting, the relative frequency response of the subwoofer channel did not change. Changing the X-OVER control from 40Hz to 200Hz instead resulted in an overall subwoofer output drop of 3dB.

Other – The subwoofer output is almost 180° out of phase with the stereo outputs. This is easily fixed by reversing the subwoofer leads.

OTHER ISSUES:
    The LEDS are too bright.
    The speaker connectors are poor. One broke and others are about to.
    The Audio Input RCA jacks and AUX mini jack are directly paralleled.

CONCLUSIONS:
    The power output specs for this amplifier are misleading. A total of 148 watts output are specified (40+40+68) while the power supply is rated at 12 volts at 3amps (36 watts).

HOW TO VOID THE WARRANTY – I searched for a schematic for this device and could not find one. I therefore captured it manually. The schematic allowed me to come up with mods to the circuitry to make it perform to spec.

1. Subwoofer distortion was mainly caused by inadequate power ground to the subwoofer output IC. After beefing this up, distortion is below 0.1% in the subwoofer channel.

2. Correcting the subwoofer frequency response required removing some capacitors and changing the values of others.

3. Tying the subwoofer level to the main volume level required changing resistor values and connection points at the volume control. This also made the subwoofer level control more friendly with levels matched at about mid-range.

4. I changed the series resistor for the blue LED to From 220 ohm to 10K.

5. I changed the series resistor for the red LED from 2.2K to 47K.

6. On one amplifier, I replaced the speaker connectors with 5-way binding posts.

FINALLY:
    I hope others find this informative. Ignore the manufacturer’s specifications. If you need a low power, low distortion stereo amplifier, this is a reasonable choice. It has a nice look to it, but forget about the subwoofer output. Unless you have the knowledge to overhaul it, the subwoofer is useless. Also be aware that the speaker connectors are somewhat fragile.

#957 1 year ago
    Quoted from RatShack:

FINALLY:
    I hope others find this informative. Ignore the manufacturer’s specifications. If you need a low power, low distortion stereo amplifier, this is a reasonable choice. It has a nice look to it, but forget about the subwoofer output. Unless you have the knowledge to overhaul it, the subwoofer is useless. Also be aware that the speaker connectors are somewhat fragile.

Great run down. For TNA, the sub enclsore goes a long way to get the most sound out of that amp. It sounds good up to a point then it completely falls on its face and then full on clipping. The lowlights you list are exactly why I looked for an alternative . For about $25 more you can end up with the same car stereo solution that I settled on and have all the clean, distortion free power your ears can handle. On top of that you get much better noise rejection and crossover control. The 4ch amp I chose is flexible enough to allow either low-level (spike1/2) or speaker level (SAM, etc) inputs. I have this setup on 4 games so far and plan on at least 3 more. It would be interesting for you to try it out and give a back to back comparison.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/improving-sound-quality-the-diy-route/page/8#post-6827701
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/improving-sound-quality-the-diy-route/page/10#post-6858259
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/improving-sound-quality-the-diy-route/page/11#post-6863467

#958 1 year ago
    Quoted from RobF:

Great run down. For TNA, the sub enclsore goes a long way to get the most sound out of that amp. It sounds good up to a point then it completely falls on its face and then full on clipping. The lowlights you list are exactly why I looked for an alternative . For about $25 more you can end up with the same car stereo solution that I settled on and have all the clean, distortion free power your ears can handle. On top of that you get much better noise rejection and crossover control. The 4ch amp I chose is flexible enough to allow either low-level (spike1/2) or speaker level (SAM, etc) inputs. I have this setup on 4 games so far and plan on at least 3 more. It would be interesting for you to try it out and give a back to back comparison.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/improving-sound-quality-the-diy-route/page/8#post-6827701
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/improving-sound-quality-the-diy-route/page/10#post-6858259
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/improving-sound-quality-the-diy-route/page/11#post-6863467

That's interesting how you're using a 4 channel amp in 2 channel mode, correct? Does that put the subwoofer on only 1 channel or does it mix L+R?

#959 1 year ago
    Quoted from RatShack:

That's interesting how you're using a 4 channel amp in 2 channel mode, correct? Does that put the subwoofer on only 1 channel or does it mix L+R?

No, I have it in 4 channel mode with the sub bridged on channels 3&4. Channels 1 and 2 are Left and Right back box speakers. I also have the RCA input to the amp split out and that goes to a powered sub to fill out the very bottom end.

#960 1 year ago
    Quoted from davegauth:

Here is what I am set at as a reference. Tweak to your liking.
    4ohm for backbox, 8ohm for cabinet. Fade about +5
    The gap you are hearing is probably in the frequencies in-between the sub and backbox speakers. They should be overlapping smoothly and complimenting each other. But instead the gap is a bit bigger and you probably are hearing this as everything probably sounds good and clear - but just seems to be a bit hollow in the low mid area. Just a guess.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

How do you get to this screen? I can't seem to find it

#961 1 year ago

service menu - utilities - audio

Everything is in the audio section.

#962 1 year ago
    Quoted from Sjoend:

Many thanks for your reply, I’ll check my EQ settings.
    I’ve ordered the adapter & amp and will report back if all my sound issues are gone.

I’m very happy to report back that my sound issues have been resolved by bypassing the Spike 2 amp chipset by using the Pinsound line out adapter.

I’ve installed the following in my Iron Maiden;
    * Pinside line out adapter
    * Ground loop isolater
    * Lepai's LP-168AH 2.1 amplifier with 12V 5A adapter
    * Kickers CSC5 as backbox speakers
    * JBL Stage 810 as cabinet woofer
    * KEF Kube 2 external sub

The sound is just incredible!! Many thanks for starting this forum topic, helped me a lot.

The only “problem” I have now is that I do hear some 50 hz noise coming from the power source. Any tips on buying a more silent power source for my amp?

Thanks in advance.

#963 1 year ago

Did the LP-168HA ground mod... sub amp is a TDA7297. Didn't do an A/B test but it seems better?

"Upgraded" a System 11 game with speakers I had on hand.
    Backbox: 2 x 6.5" full range speakers, 4 ohm. Wired in series. Didn't enlarge the tweeter speaker hole, just centered the new speaker over it.
    Cabinet: 6.5" midbass woofer, 4ohm. Added a speaker crossover, as System 11 sends full range audio to the cabinet.

#964 1 year ago

I added the 5.25 Kickers and the 810 JBL into a Jurassic Park with the movie code. Also, the pinnovators adapter out to an external sub.

I used the EQ settings shared by Dave in post #62 (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/improving-sound-quality-the-diy-route/page/2#post-6716867); 8 Ohm for both; Fade is at +5.

Problem is, the higher frequencies sound a bit strained/distorted or tinny at higher volumes, especially voice clips from the movie. I noticed this on Godzilla as well. I've played around with the EQ myself but really don't know what I'm doing and the system doesn't make it easy to test vocal frequencies within the UI, just that default soundtrack.

Can anyone advise how they've tweaked their EQ with a similar speaker setup on either JP or Godzilla? (if different from post #62) Am I the only one experiencing this? (Would also love any tips/sites/tools on how to learn about audio tweaking myself)

Side note: On Deadpool those post#62 settings sounded pretty good and I didn't change them.

Thanks!

#965 1 year ago

I put a Pinwoofer kit in my Deadpool and am very satisfied with the results. Dan at pinwoofer answered my phone calls and helped me with very easy questions during installation. Things most dedicated pinballers would already know but I did not. Installation was not too hard and the results are amazing.

#966 1 year ago
    Quoted from Sandman33:

I put a Pinwoofer kit in my Deadpool and am very satisfied with the results. Dan at pinwoofer answered my phone calls and helped me with very easy questions during installation. Things most dedicated pinballers would already know but I did not. Installation was not too hard and the results are amazing.

Wrong thread bro

#967 1 year ago
    Quoted from Sandman33:

Wrong Thread, this is DIY

If you want Phenomenal instead of amazing start at post #1 and read.

#968 1 year ago
    Quoted from Spiderpin:

Wrong Thread, this is DIY
    If you want Phenomenal instead of amazing start at post #1 and read.

I saw you had done the rockford fosgate speakers (even saw your review on amazon ). Have you used any other speakers and if so, how would you compare them?

#969 1 year ago
    Quoted from prentice:

I added the 5.25 Kickers and the 810 JBL into a Jurassic Park with the movie code. Also, the pinnovators adapter out to an external sub.
    I used the EQ settings shared by Dave in post #62 (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/improving-sound-quality-the-diy-route/page/2#post-6716867); 8 Ohm for both; Fade is at +5.
    Problem is, the higher frequencies sound a bit strained/distorted or tinny at higher volumes, especially voice clips from the movie. I noticed this on Godzilla as well. I've played around with the EQ myself but really don't know what I'm doing and the system doesn't make it easy to test vocal frequencies within the UI, just that default soundtrack.
    Can anyone advise how they've tweaked their EQ with a similar speaker setup on either JP or Godzilla? (if different from post #62) Am I the only one experiencing this? (Would also love any tips/sites/tools on how to learn about audio tweaking myself)
    Side note: On Deadpool those post#62 settings sounded pretty good and I didn't change them.
    Thanks!

I would reduce the higher frequency EQ settings and also try increasing the Speech Attenuation if needed to fine tune to your liking.

#970 1 year ago
    Quoted from DudeRegular:

I saw you had done the rockford fosgate speakers (even saw your review on amazon ). Have you used any other speakers and if so, how would you compare them?

Hope you seen my lame video too. Haha. Those Rockford Fosgate speaker have been in Aerosmth over a year now. I just recently installed subwoofer and amplifier.

Right now Aerosmith is the only game that I've had time to install Speaker, Amplifier, Subwoofer and box with port around sub. I've only played five game at the most. I don't think I have my settings correct as of now. So I can't give a deep review. I have more of all the above to do two more pins but with different speaker. I just haven't had the time.

But as far as putting box around subwoofer with port hole in bottom of cabinet and screwing it down. I'm sure I'll do it to all other pins from here on out. After I hear and feel the difference. I have no tape or anything around the glass and don't hear the rattle when the game get intense. I still have more to test when I get time.

1 week later
    #971 1 year ago

Bought the jbl 810 but as you mentioned the bolts aren't long enough to hold it down, how do I replace the bolts in the cabinet? Is this easy to do? Any directions on this. Thanks

#972 1 year ago
    Quoted from Alansavicki:

Bought the jbl 810 but as you mentioned the bolts aren't long enough to hold it down, how do I replace the bolts in the cabinet? Is this easy to do? Any directions on this. Thanks

Get 1” #8 wood screws with washers, tap out the old screws. I put notes for myself here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hlTFVBtST1GRSl0kq-jK-J8W1xGTeZku11CP5Em-AFA/edit

#973 1 year ago

Still waiting on my replacement cabinet...... ggggrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Pic is just of a location I have been putting together in the meantime. Knapp arcade just did a writeup about it last week.

IMG_0881.JPG-1 (resized).jpgIMG_0881.JPG-1 (resized).jpg
    #974 1 year ago
    Quoted from prentice:

I added the 5.25 Kickers and the 810 JBL..
    Can anyone advise how they've tweaked their EQ with a similar speaker setup? (if different from post #62)
    Thanks!

Has anyone tweaked EQ settings and care to share what they've landed on for the 4" or 5.25" Kickers + replacement cabinet speaker (either 810 or Skar or anything)?

#975 1 year ago
    Quoted from prentice:

Has anyone tweaked EQ settings and care to share what they've landed on for the 4" or 5.25" Kickers + replacement cabinet speaker (either 810 or Skar or anything)?

There have been a couple of people who have posted their EQ settings in the thread and one is even a key post stickied on the first page of this thread.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/improving-sound-quality-the-diy-route/page/15#post-6942232

#976 1 year ago

Thanks, yes that is the one I've been trying, but to me it often sounds worse than the stock setup, which makes me wonder if anyone else did further tweaking to those beyond the settings in post #62. (Or if others have even experienced what I'm talking about.. I'm assuming several folks in here all now have a similar setup thanks to dave's extensive research sharing)

Quoted from Hightechaddict:

There have been a couple of people who have posted their EQ settings in the thread and one is even a key post stickied on the first page of this thread.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/improving-sound-quality-the-diy-route/page/15#post-6942232

#977 1 year ago

I just put the 5.25" kicker, and a JBL 810 in my new GZ Pro, and one thing I did to adjust the EQ is to separate the backbox speakers from the cabinet speaker while adjusting the EQ by using the fader.

Set the fader full backbox to isolate them. Then adjust them using the EQ to your liking. I adjusted these to get clear, crisp mids and highs without distortion. These don't really offer anything down low, but on they're own they can sound pretty good.

Repeat for the cabinet speaker. This speaker I'm really just using for the bass to compliment the backbox speakers so anything above 500htz I'm turning way down on the EQ.

With this method after all the EQ settings are where it sounds good at any volume I can easily adjust how much bass and rumble I want by simply adjusting the fader. Want things to shake like a shaker motor? Fade higher to the cabinet, and turn it up!

Even at lower/normal volumes there's still a little rumble you can feel.

-Paul

#978 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pablito350:

I just put the 5.25" kicker, and a JBL 810 in my new GZ
    -Paul

Thanks so much, Paul, will give it a shot.

#979 1 year ago

I like the Skar with the kickers better than the JBL. I bought both the skar and the JBL and returned the JBL. I think the skar filled out the mid range better. I think the only thing I changed was to make the cabinet and backbox 8 ohm and faded a little more to the cabinet.

Quoted from prentice:

Thanks so much, Paul, will give it a shot.

#980 1 year ago

Can anyone confirm if my sub on my Godzilla was hooked up correctly or not. I figured that the yellow black wire would go to the negative side of the speaker.

I got a new JBL and hooked it up the same way but just wanted to be sure.

Thanks

7524DD85-59A7-4046-A9F5-BCC2C550BA25 (resized).jpeg7524DD85-59A7-4046-A9F5-BCC2C550BA25 (resized).jpeg

#981 1 year ago
    Quoted from KneeKickLou:

Can anyone confirm if my sub on my Godzilla was hooked up correctly or not. I figured that the yellow black wire would go to the negative side of the speaker.
    I got a new JBL and hooked it up the same way but just wanted to be sure.
    Thanks
    [quoted image]

I would be surprised if it had not been connected correctly originally.

However, if you want to check, it's simple enough: just look at the wiring at the CPU board. The connector labeled "CN4", found in the lower left of the board, is where the wires connect, and the board is labeled with + and - so you can see which wire goes to which terminal.

#982 1 year ago
    Quoted from pete_d:

I would be surprised if it had not been connected correctly originally.
    However, if you want to check, it's simple enough: just look at the wiring at the CPU board. The connector labeled "CN4", found in the lower left of the board, is where the wires connect, and the board is labeled with + and - so you can see which wire goes to which terminal.

Thanks yeah looks like the yellow black wire is on the negative pin.

I’m gunna switch them around on the sub and see how that sounds.
    41D601E7-89BF-4DA5-A745-AAC4CCA6AA16 (resized).jpeg41D601E7-89BF-4DA5-A745-AAC4CCA6AA16 (resized).jpeg

#983 1 year ago
    Quoted from KneeKickLou:

Thanks yeah looks like the yellow black wire is on the negative pin.
    I’m gunna switch them around on the sub and see how that sounds.
    [quoted image]

When the positive and negative's get switched on speakers - nothing bad happens. Things don't blow or catch fire etc. So there is no need to worry to that level.

What happens is the phasing of that speaker gets flipped 180 degrees. This is a switching of the negative and positive pressures the speaker is creating at specific times. This becomes an issue when you have two speakers working at 180 degrees to each other. They become noise cancelling towards each other. Now in your case - the cabinet and back box speakers share the same airspace. Yes the backbox "appears" to be separate from the cabinet but it is not. Big ass cable paths connect the two. Add to it there is a huge overlap of frequencies between the cabinet and backbox speakers. So you are going to have noise canceling going on inside the cabinet as well as outside. Once you get the positives and negatives correct you will have full sound again.

Note - this is super common when people complain that they are getting little bass out of their home stereo. often times the positive and negatives get mixed up and they the speakers are now working at 180 degrees from each other - one speaker is now cancelling the other. Low end frequencies are the easiest ones to spot this happening with. (sometimes speaker terminals are wired wrong internally too, making it really hard to diagnose)

Note - #2 since we(I) are nerding out a little... When you buy a standalone subwoofer for your stereo, or surround sound etc.(often a mid to high end unit) You will sometimes see they will have a "Phase" knob. Think of this as a way to manually adjust the timing of the sound waves the speaker is creating. By adding a slight delay or advance the wave itself is shifted slightly off from 0-180 degrees. This becomes important, because of the noise canceling effects that can occur in more complicated stereo systems even when you have all the wiring correct. This happens because the signals can be thrown out of sync just by the natural slowing down of the signals having to run through multiple(and often unrelated) processors and amplifiers. You have to have a real good ear for this though, and often times a calibration microphone is used to really maximize it. Phasing is also synonymous with speaker timing.

#984 1 year ago
    Quoted from davegauth:

When the positive and negative's get switched on speakers - nothing bad happens. Things don't blow or catch fire etc. So there is no need to worry to that level.
    What happens is the phasing of that speaker gets flipped 180 degrees. This is a switching of the negative and positive pressures the speaker is creating at specific times. This becomes an issue when you have two speakers working at 180 degrees to each other. They become noise cancelling towards each other. Now in your case - the cabinet and back box speakers share the same airspace. Yes the backbox "appears" to be separate from the cabinet but it is not. Big ass cable paths connect the two. Add to it there is a huge overlap of frequencies between the cabinet and backbox speakers. So you are going to have noise canceling going on inside the cabinet as well as outside. Once you get the positives and negatives correct you will have full sound again.
    Note - this is super common when people complain that they are getting little bass out of their home stereo. often times the positive and negatives get mixed up and they the speakers are now working at 180 degrees from each other - one speaker is now cancelling the other. Low end frequencies are the easiest ones to spot this happening with. (sometimes speaker terminals are wired wrong internally too, making it really hard to diagnose)
    Note - #2 since we(I) are nerding out a little... When you buy a standalone subwoofer for your stereo, or surround sound etc.(often a mid to high end unit) You will sometimes see they will have a "Phase" knob. Think of this as a way to manually adjust the timing of the sound waves the speaker is creating. By adding a slight delay or advance the wave itself is shifted slightly off from 0-180 degrees. This becomes important, because of the noise canceling effects that can occur in more complicated stereo systems even when you have all the wiring correct. This happens because the signals can be thrown out of sync just by the natural slowing down of the signals having to run through multiple(and often unrelated) processors and amplifiers. You have to have a real good ear for this though, and often times a calibration microphone is used to really maximize it. Phasing is also synonymous with speaker timing.

Thanks for the detailed breakdown, I ended up switching them anyway. I didn’t think anything bad was going to happen I just wanted to make sure I was getting the best sound I could.

#985 1 year ago

Finding the recommended parts is proving complicated in France, at least for the sub.

I did find easily the Kicker CSC4 or CSC5, but JBL Stage 810 is not available except at Conrad (which is OK I guess but would not have been my go to choice for speakers). It might good if others could share their experience with alternative sub speakers that can be more easily sourced worldwide.

Also, has anyone tested the JBL Club 4020 and compared them to the Kicker or Alpine ? I've read the thread about Kicker vs JBL, but I'm not familiar enough with JBL linup to determine if the Club 4020 are the same category than the tested speakers.

Why these Club 4020 ? Because well... They look gorgeous Would fit very nicely using a round opening instead of the current grill opening

#986 1 year ago

I thought I would mention, in case anyone's interested: the well-regarded Klipsch 12" subwoofer Costco sells is currently on sale for online orders, $80 discount from their usual $280 price.

I realize this isn't as great a deal as it has been in past years. I guess inflation is real? Imagine that! But it's still cheaper than other discounters I've seen for the sub.

I've been following this thread closely, reading all the guides, and when the parts come am planning to DIY a sound upgrade for my Rush pin. I'll post notes later once I've gotten it done. My goal is to do it as 100% DIY as I can; just speakers and standard cabling, making everything else myself. Nothing against the pin-specific companies making a dollar off upgrades; they provide a useful service. I just like the idea of doing as much as I can on my own.

#987 1 year ago
    Quoted from Ashram56:

Finding the recommended parts is proving complicated in France, at least for the sub.
    I did find easily the Kicker CSC4 or CSC5, but JBL Stage 810 is not available except at Conrad (which is OK I guess but would not have been my go to choice for speakers). It might good if others could share their experience with alternative sub speakers that can be more easily sourced worldwide.
    Also, has anyone tested the JBL Club 4020 and compared them to the Kicker or Alpine ? I've read the thread about Kicker vs JBL, but I'm not familiar enough with JBL linup to determine if the Club 4020 are the same category than the tested speakers.
    Why these Club 4020 ? Because well... They look gorgeous Would fit very nicely using a round opening instead of the current grill opening

When looking at the JBL's - keep in mind the PlusOne design of the speaker cone suspension makes it a bit more complicated to flush/face mount the speaker. there are ways to do it, it's just a bit trickier. I refrained from testing more of the JBL's because the cost was starting to get up there for me collecting all these speakers. I do recommend using an external amp to run them though. When I outfitted a Rush and tried using just the Stern amp it just didn't have enough oooommmppphhh for my liking. (Note: I did sell that Rush Pro and the new owner absolutely loved the sound system) If I had to go with JBL in the backbox again, I would want to step up to whatever model has a silk dome tweater.

As far as the JBL Stage 810 - I mostly picked that speaker because it was readily available, inexpensive, sounded good, and could be mounted easily without any adapters. Since you are having trouble sourcing it - then most of those advantages are out the window. The Kicker 8" CompC is also a nice sub, and I like the sound a bit more than the JBL. Though it is a little bit more expensive, and will require a spacer and a little bit of minor work to get it mounted up.

#988 1 year ago
    Quoted from pete_d:

I thought I would mention, in case anyone's interested: the well-regarded Klipsch 12" subwoofer Costco sells is currently on sale for online orders, $80 discount from their usual $280 price.
    I realize this isn't as great a deal as it has been in past years. I guess inflation is real? Imagine that! But it's still cheaper than other discounters I've seen for the sub.
    I've been following this thread closely, reading all the guides, and when the parts come am planning to DIY a sound upgrade for my Rush pin. I'll post notes later once I've gotten it done. My goal is to do it as 100% DIY as I can; just speakers and standard cabling, making everything else myself. Nothing against the pin-specific companies making a dollar off upgrades; they provide a useful service. I just like the idea of doing as much as I can on my own.

Good spotting on the Klipsch external sub sale!

There are only 2 real obstacles to doing sound upgrade in the DIY-
    1- The knowledge gap. What am I doing, what is needed, do I feel confident I won't blow anything up.
    2- The wiring harness, this is probably the area that is the most tedious. Wires, crimpers, connectors..

This thread takes care of the first problem above, just so much info here, and so many personal experiences by everyone should boost the confidence level.

The second one, just time and patience get you through the wiring. It's not complicated, just tedious and requires some tools and supplies you may not have at your disposal.

I have been considering making ready to install wiring harness's for those wanting to upgrade their pins with components of their choosing. It could be a way of funding more product purchases for testing, reviews, and writeups etc. (I was spending a bit too much on products i was never going to use, and my Amazon returns were getting out of hand.. )

#989 1 year ago
    Quoted from davegauth:

Good spotting on the Klipsch external sub sale!
    There are only 2 real obstacles to doing sound upgrade in the DIY-
    1- The knowledge gap. What am I doing, what is needed, do I feel confident I won't blow anything up.
    2- The wiring harness, this is probably the area that is the most tedious. Wires, crimpers, connectors..
    This thread takes care of the first problem above, just so much info here, and so many personal experiences by everyone should boost the confidence level.
    The second one, just time and patience get you through the wiring. It's not complicated, just tedious and requires some tools and supplies you may not have at your disposal.

Yup. Being able to read through the info here has made all the difference in my confidence in being able to do the upgrades myself. I really appreciate your efforts and that of others here in the thread to share all that info.

The speaker comparison was also really useful. I wound up going with the Alpine, in spite of the "rock-friendly" review for the Kickers, because my experience has been that I prefer the clarity and uniformity of a good reference speaker, over one that colors the sounds significantly.

I have been considering making ready to install wiring harness's for those wanting to upgrade their pins with components of their choosing. It could be a way of funding more product purchases for testing, reviews, and writeups etc. (I was spending a bit too much on products i was never going to use, and my Amazon returns were getting out of hand.. )

Honestly, that would be a big help. One of the things I'm DIY'ing is the connector for the CN5 line outs. I decided against the Pinsound part, only because it appears to use phono instead of RCA jacks, which isn't standard for any components I'd want to connect there, so I'd just have to be buying extra cabling to convert anyway.

But it turns out that female RCA jacks aren't easy to find as individual components either, nor are they all that inexpensive. I found some that looked like they'd work, but IIRC they were around $5-6 each $3 total. I wound up instead buying a cheap A/V cable, i.e. it has three RCA jacks on it going to a phono plug. I'll just cut off the plug and then wire the bare ends to the molex connector. The whole A/V cable was only about $6, so it made no sense for me to try to buy each of the three jacks individually and then assemble a cable myself.

But if someone were selling that whole assembly, molex to RCA jacks, for $15-20 with reasonable shipping, I probably would've just bought that on its own.

EDIT: Just double-checked my invoice, the $6 part was the three-connector all-in-one A/V cable I considered getting, but in the end I wound up getting one phono-to-single-RCA cable and one three-connector-phono-to-two-RCA cable, at a cost of $1.50 each.

#990 1 year ago
    Quoted from davegauth:

When looking at the JBL's - keep in mind the PlusOne design of the speaker cone suspension makes it a bit more complicated to flush/face mount the speaker. there are ways to do it, it's just a bit trickier. I refrained from testing more of the JBL's because the cost was starting to get up there for me collecting all these speakers. I do recommend using an external amp to run them though. When I outfitted a Rush and tried using just the Stern amp it just didn't have enough oooommmppphhh for my liking. (Note: I did sell that Rush Pro and the new owner absolutely loved the sound system) If I had to go with JBL in the backbox again, I would want to step up to whatever model has a silk dome tweater.
    As far as the JBL Stage 810 - I mostly picked that speaker because it was readily available, inexpensive, sounded good, and could be mounted easily without any adapters. Since you are having trouble sourcing it - then most of those advantages are out the window. The Kicker 8" CompC is also a nice sub, and I like the sound a bit more than the JBL. Though it is a little bit more expensive, and will require a spacer and a little bit of minor work to get it mounted up.

Forgot to mention indeed that I do have an adapter ring I designed (3D printing) for these Club 4020. I just wonder for my newly arrived GZ if I should go to the Kicker or Alpine. Guess I'll try the Kicker, they are easily available (but they don't look as nice ). I do have also a few amps to test with (both with and without DSP)

#991 1 year ago

I have this older Block Rocker we keep in storage when not in use, It would be great to store it under my Metallica and use it all the time. What do I need to get to connect it to the pinball machine?

20221024_115233 (resized).jpg20221024_115233 (resized).jpg
    #992 1 year ago

What a great thread, so much good information, but a little bit hard to keep track. I find myself looking back and forth to find information i remember and want to read again

I accidentially found that important post
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/improving-sound-quality-the-diy-route/page/9#post-6844596

You should edid your first post in the thread instead of somewhere in the middle.

I liked the information on making the CN5 adapter and all the references to great posts in rush or maiden threads.

I think i understand but can you confirm that the R and L out from the pinsound adapter are the signals that would go to the backbox speakers via a dedicated amp

The sub output is the mono signal that goes to the sub via another dedicated amp

Both signals are affected by the software 10way equalizer settings

So you mentioned somewhere that you use only the R + L output to drive backbox And cabinet speaker via one 2.1 amplifier. How would you account for the equalizer settings of the EQ then?

Or does the use of an external amplifier make the internal EQ obsolete?

#993 1 year ago

Well, this thread has thrown me in a quandary. I do like sound and would normal put effort into something decent but I was previously thinking along the lines of a drop in solution "for not much money" as its not what I listen to music on.

Then I see these ideas of adding a BT amp and using it to stream music etc....
    I also like the idea of 5.25" speakers but notice that there is more faffing about to get them mounted. Argggghhh! decisions decisions....

I do like the look of the adapters that davegauth made. Don't suppose they are available?? I have a friend with a printer.
    I am leaning towards the alpine s-s but even the 4" would need a spacer so may as well make a 5.25" set fit.

#994 1 year ago
    Quoted from arrbee:

Well, this thread has thrown me in a quandary. I do like sound and would normal put effort into something decent but I was previously thinking along the lines of a drop in solution "for not much money" as its not what I listen to music on.
    Then I see these ideas of adding a BT amp and using it to stream music etc....
    I also like the idea of 5.25" speakers but notice that there is more faffing about to get them mounted. Argggghhh! decisions decisions....
    I do like the look of the adapters that davegauth made. Don't suppose they are available?? I have a friend with a printer.
    I am leaning towards the alpine s-s but even the 4" would need a spacer so may as well make a 5.25" set fit.

FWIW, I have been working on a 3D-printed replacement for the mounting plate to support switching from the 4" speakers to 5.25". This is part of a larger upgrade project, which I'll eventually be sharing all the info I have, including STL for the new plate. But I'm happy to post the design somewhere for now if you want to try it out.

The plate is custom for the Alpine S-S50; I don't know enough about speakers to know if the mating surfaces would be compatible with other speaker designs, but since those are the speakers you're looking to get, that wouldn't matter anyway.

The Alpine speakers are not flush-mount -- the tweeter protudes a bit ahead of the woofer's cone, and the mounting tabs are behind the speaker assembly anyway -- so the plate has mounting bosses set back a bit to keep the tweeter clear of the surface of the plate (*). Also, the speaker has a sort of gasket around the perimeter, which I presume is to allow for the front and back of the speaker to be isolated (e.g. when mounted in a closed cavity), and the plate I designed includes a ring to match up with this gasket and preserve this isolation (though not sure just how important that would be in a pinball machine).

(*) Technically, I probably could've positioned the speaker more forward, allowing the tweeter to extend into the 1.4 mm thick space of the opening for the speaker, since the plate doesn't have the same grid across the front that the 4" plate does. But I wanted to be able to revisit the design later and add a grid (or something fun like the Rush starman logo), and so I kept the tweeter clear of the backplane of the mounting plate, even though there's not actually any material there that the tweeter would contact, just in case.

That said, I will say that the 3D-printed plate is not a painless approach. I will be using it, and I'm very happy with the way it turned out. But because of the geometry of everything, an all-in-one design obstructs access to the screws on the side that attach the plate to the metal frame of the pin's LCD display. To accommodate that, I had to switch to hex-drive screws (OEM are regular cross-point/Philips), and include a through-hole in the plate's structure so that I can put a hex key wrench through the hole to turn the screw. (I was hoping to find hex-head machine screws, so I could use a small wrench from the side to turn the screw, but for some reason while hex-head screws are available in both larger and smaller sizes, the 5-44 thread size the pin uses there isn't stocked by any of the stores I tried.)

I considered making an alternative design that was printed in two parts, where the base part could be installed with speaker mounting posts already attached, and then once that's all screwed to the machine, the second part along with the speaker could be assembled to the plate. But I couldn't see a way to make the design structurally sound enough while still providing the necessary clearance to access the side screws and at the same time keep the flush-front design (i.e. not have bolt heads protruding out the front of the plate). Everything just would've been too thin. So for now I've abandoned that idea.

I guess one could just not bother attaching those screws. But a) I feel like I ought to try to stick as closely as possible to the original OEM design as I can, and b) one of those four screws bonds the power supply's ground cable to the frame of the LCD display, and in my experience making sure grounds designed into an electronic component are preserved is important.

Your other options are the 3D-printed adapter to use the existing 4-inch plate (which it seems you've looked at already), or to buy the third-party 5.25" plates.

As far as the 4-to-5.25 adapter goes, the main issue as I understand it with that, is that it may reduce the clearance behind the speaker, which in conjunction with speaker light kits could be an issue with space between the rear of the right speaker and the power supply in the backbox. For me though (since I'm not planning to get any light kit), my main concern was that it seemed silly to mount a 5.25" speaker behind a 4" hole. I guess it would probably work okay, but it also seems intuitive to me that using a proper full-size hole for the speaker would be better.

As far as I know, Stern does not sell the 5.25" plates directly. However, I know of at least two places you can buy these from third-party sellers: https://www.pinballlife.com/stern-spike-2-speaker-plate-for-525-drivers.html and http://www.speakerlightkits.com/5.25-SPIKE-2-Speaker-Plates.html. About $50 for a pair from either source. These plates still have a slight geometry problem with respect to the speaker mounting posts being in the way of the side screws, but given that they are effectively identical to the 5.25" plate that Stern installs, I assume one can still get a screwdriver in, possibly at a slight angle, and get enough purchase on each screw head to secure it. For the Alpine speakers, you'd still need to get or print some kind of spacer or gasket to deal with the fact that they are not flush-mount speakers, but the overall installation would be closer to original factory design at least.

EDIT: in Europe, looks like pu-parts.com is a source for the 5.25" metal mounting plate: https://pu-parts.com/spike-2-speaker-plate

Added 17 months ago:

EDIT: Important, note that the screw size I state above is in correct. I apparently mis-measured the screw. I got what I thought was the right size today, the #5-44 screws, but it turns out that's wrong. The correct size is actually #4-48. Sigh. "Measure twice, buy once." Or something like that.

#995 1 year ago

If one has access to a 3D printer, there are ready-made Stern mounting plates for 5.25" speakers on Thingiverse. I printed some for my GZ a few weeks ago. Works great.

#996 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

If one has access to a 3D printer, there are ready-made Stern mounting plates for 5.25" speakers on Thingiverse. I printed some for my GZ a few weeks ago. Works great.

Got a link? I looked but all I found were a couple of 4-to-5.25 adapters (not what I wanted), and this half-hearted attempt: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5208804

That one is missing side screw holes, as well as mounting holes, and from the description it sounds like the way they used it, the mounting bolt heads protrude out the front of the plate, which is "sub-optimal" to say the least.

Where's the one you used that works great?

#997 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pablito350:I just put the 5.25" kicker, and a JBL 810 in my new GZ Pro, and one thing I did to adjust the EQ is to separate the backbox speakers from the cabinet speaker while adjusting the EQ by using the fader.
    Set the fader full backbox to isolate them. Then adjust them using the EQ to your liking. I adjusted these to get clear, crisp mids and highs without distortion. These don't really offer anything down low, but on they're own they can sound pretty good.
    Repeat for the cabinet speaker. This speaker I'm really just using for the bass to compliment the backbox speakers so anything above 500htz I'm turning way down on the EQ.
    With this method after all the EQ settings are where it sounds good at any volume I can easily adjust how much bass and rumble I want by simply adjusting the fader. Want things to shake like a shaker motor? Fade higher to the cabinet, and turn it up!
    Even at lower/normal volumes there's still a little rumble you can feel.
    -Paul

Pablito350 I'm considering a similar change for my Godzilla. Couple of questions for you and others:
    - Are you happy with the setup now that you've had it for a couple weeks? How does it compare to stock?
    - How did you end up mounting the backbox speakers? Did you use an adapter or replace the speaker panel?
    - To mount the JBL 810 sub in the cabinet, did you just get longer screws or did you need to do anything else?

Thanks!

#998 1 year ago
    Quoted from pete_d:

Got a link? I looked but all I found were a couple of 4-to-5.25 adapters (not what I wanted), and this half-hearted attempt: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5208804
    That one is missing side screw holes, as well as mounting holes, and from the description it sounds like the way they used it, the mounting bolt heads protrude out the front of the plate, which is "sub-optimal" to say the least.
    Where's the one you used that works great?

That's the one - I also drilled the holes myself. I actually forked this design to add them, but the amount of time it was taking to measure and design wasn't worth it, vs. marking and drilling in 10 seconds. I had 2 different speakers I was considering (one set has tweeters across the cone and I wasn't sure if there was enough clearance so I had a backup), and it turned out they had slightly different placement for where the screws needed to be, so that ended up being a good thing.

The way it is described on the site to attach the speakers is to thread bolts through from the front (the grille and foam cover them up) and just use a nylon nut on the other side. That worked fine. I ultimately made standoffs for a future LED enhancement, and decided to melt the plastic and embed hex head bolts directly in the plastic, so they wouldn't move. So not plug and play, but it MAYBE took me 30 minutes tops.

#999 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

That's the one - I also drilled the holes myself. I actually forked this design to add them, but the amount of time it was taking to measure and design wasn't worth it, vs. marking and drilling in 10 seconds. I had 2 different speakers I was considering (one set has tweeters across the cone and I wasn't sure if there was enough clearance so I had a backup), and it turned out they had slightly different placement for where the screws needed to be, so that ended up being a good thing.
    The way it is described on the site to attach the speakers is to thread bolts through from the front (the grille and foam cover them up) and just use a nylon nut on the other side. That worked fine. I ultimately made standoffs for a future LED enhancement, and decided to melt the plastic and embed hex head bolts directly in the plastic, so they wouldn't move. So not plug and play, but it MAYBE took me 30 minutes tops.

Got it. Thanks. Glad that design worked for you. Definitely wasn't an option for me.

#1000 1 year ago

I used PU-parts metal speaker panel with a small 3d printed adapter for jbl club 4020, it looks very nice.

Also replaced the sub with a Pyle PLPW8D. It's a dual coil sub, which I wired in series to get 8 ohm. I used this one because it was easily available.

Out of the box, there is a far more distinct rumble in the cabinet. Now need to adjust the equalizer to get better quality out of the backbox speakers

20221101_202612 (resized).jpg20221101_202612 (resized).jpg
    There are 1,822 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 37.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/improving-sound-quality-the-diy-route/page/20 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.