(Topic ID: 307852)

Improving Sound Quality - The DIY Route

By davegauth

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3311120240422_225954 (resized).jpg
    222220240422_214549 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1701 (resized).jpeg
    504783-a257170fca2168983d2a6e1bbfec3f44 (resized).jpg
    received_6742998335800442 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    320-3350_HR_0.default (resized).jpg
    607DEEC4-36DB-45AA-8B61-018875778767 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    slika-1109725-631a4b9a8ef1e-velika-3077129719 (resized).jpg
    5580B012-A4F2-4FA4-ADF1-E8801A418BC1 (resized).jpeg
    8CDE1FF8-62E4-40F4-85EF-E93F22435908 (resized).jpeg
    C5D15E76-AC5F-4258-BC0F-0ECB29263D5B (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20240222-214420_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    February 2024 DIY Super Kit (resized).jpg
    20240218_102558 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 1,828 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 37.
    #851 1 year ago

The Fosi BT30D amp is on sale through today for Amazon Prime days, $71.99

#852 1 year ago

Was just looking at my GnR for sound... It's going to be interesting - will have have to get back to it later as I moved it on location.

But first glance - It's nice that they developed a completely stand alone amplifier board to run the speakers. In theory this should make it easy to replace it with a new amplifier if nescessary. Even the power will be easy as you can re-use the power going to the board. (providing the new amp will not draw more power than the line can provide)

The JJP amp board does use the Texas Instrument TPA3118 amp chips. This is a step up from amp chips Stern uses. The TPA3118 appears to be rated to a max 2x30watts.

Anyway, nothing I plan to tackle right now A Rush is coming soon that will get some attention and I still need to program that high power amp. The Sigma Studio software is presenting a big learing curve challenge - and not much time to do it.

A couple of pics of what's behind the JJP panel. The Amp board is in the center.

20220712_201045 (resized).jpg20220712_201045 (resized).jpg20220712_201347 (resized).jpg20220712_201347 (resized).jpg

1 week later
    #853 1 year ago

Just a quick update.

Still haven't been able to put more time into the SigmaStudio programing.

I've been working on setting up a brewery with pins, leaderboards and digital signage. That's been taking a bunch of my available after hours time.

I did get my Rush Premium delivered and was pretty stoked thinking about the huge sound upgrades I could get started on....... UNTIL - I opened it up. Shipping must have knocked it over and the cabinet is heavily damaged, split, and wracked. I'm working through that now. Its going to be a slow process and most likely require swapping everything over to a new cabinet. On the plus side - I'll have a junk cabinet that I can practice cutting bigger holes into for subwoofers.

On a side note: not super impressed with the JJP sound system on GnR... No DSP, bass stinks, you'd think seperate components have the potential to sound better with the highs and mids... but something is not right. I mean there is some effort put into the better components and amp - but for some reason it just isn't showing up. This will be a future project, I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to approach it yet.

#854 1 year ago

I'm soooo interested in learning more about the sound improvement options on JJP's GNR's. I'm a LE owner. I'm not happy with the mid and especially the base.

I've heard nothing but amazing things about Pin Woffer system; however the cost for me is just way too much, at this time.

So sorry to hear about your RUSH cabinet. Hopefully, they'll jump in quickly and make it right for you.

Thanks again for this great thread!

Kerry

#855 1 year ago

OK - side track.

I also picked up a Rush Pro for the brewery. But as I play it - the sound system stinks. The low quality is magnified because I know what Rush sounds like on my home stereo or with headphones etc.

Soooooooo - I have all this extra gear around and I just can't help myself.

The Rush pro is getting JBL 5.25's in the back box and JBL 8" Sub. It'll keep the stock Stern amp, as I know we can get the performance we need out of it.

This is a simple upgrade for any pin. Below are some pictures of the wiring process. If you can manage an ugly solder joint then this is real easy.

Desolder the pigtails off of the stock speakers. Then reattach them to the new speakers. Just be careful to connect positive to positive etc.

You can easily identify which wire is which just by looking at where they are soldered on the stock speakers. In this case you can see the backbox speakers use red for positive and black for negative. The cabinet uses yellow for positive and yellow/black for negative.

Your new speakers will also have positive and negative signs in the same location. Generally the large terminal will be positive and the small is negative. If your speaker has a capacitor on it(like the ome in the picture) be sure to attach your positive lead to the actual spade terminal. NOT to the piece next to the "+" symbol. This would be wrong because it will bypass the capacitor/filter.

Now the wiring is plug and play.

** no word yet on the premium cabinet replacement.

20220727_204839 (resized).jpg20220727_204839 (resized).jpg20220727_213508 (resized).jpg20220727_213508 (resized).jpg
    #856 1 year ago
    Quoted from davegauth:

The Rush pro is getting JBL 5.25's in the back box and JBL 8" Sub. It'll keep the stock Stern amp, as I know we can get the performance we need out of it.

Thanks for the post - which JBLs did you go with? I see a few different 5.25s on Amazon.

#857 1 year ago

Just for reference. JBL versus stock.

You can see the model #s in the pictures.

20220728_133921 (resized).jpg20220728_133921 (resized).jpg20220728_133951 (resized).jpg20220728_133951 (resized).jpg
    #858 1 year ago

Ok - Installing the JBL810 subwoofer.

This question comes up alot. And there are many ways to do it. From easy, to rocket science....

But let's not overthink this, and just do it the easy way.

Swing by the hardware store and pickup 4 x #8 wood screws that are 1" long, and 4 washers for them. That's it. Can you run 1.250"? yes, but the tips will stick out the bottom of you cabinet a smidge. Add 2-3 more washers per bolt if you need to run the 1.250" screws. Otherwise stick with the 1" and all will be well with the world.

1 - Remove the stock cabinet speaker.
    2 - Tap out the studs from the inside with a hammer.
    3 - Remove studs from underneath with pliers.
    3a - Remove the stock plastic speaker mesh.
    4 - Place new sub in place and screw down using the new wood screws with washers. Run them into the holes where the studs were.
    5 - Pinch the ground strap between the washer and speaker and tighten.
    6 - Connect wires..

Done.... No need to make it rocket science.

FAQ:

- Will I need a spacer? Not for the JBL810. The spacer attached to it, as well as the diameter of the stock cutout gives it plenty of room to move without contacting the cabinet. This applies to the stock Stern amp and the mini amps that have been used(Fosi, Dayton, etc.)

- Should I put the plastic speaker mesh back in? ABSOLUTLEY NOT. The plastic piece has a tendency to resonate at lower frequencies. This will drive you nuts. The speaker will also contact the plastic during excursion at high volumes. Just toss it in a box with the stock speaker and put it in a closet never to be seen again.

- Will this work with speakers other than the JBL810? Sure, but you are going to have to do some thinking. Does it have a spacer? Can it be flush mounted? How long do the screws need to be? You will need to answer these questions yourself for the specific needs of the subwoofer you choose to try.

20220728_154916 (resized).jpg20220728_154916 (resized).jpg20220728_155034 (resized).jpg20220728_155034 (resized).jpg20220728_160112 (resized).jpg20220728_160112 (resized).jpg20220728_160328 (resized).jpg20220728_160328 (resized).jpg

#859 1 year ago

And the back box speakers.

These mounts are something I made a while back, if you want to know more go back to page 2 or 3ish.

Keeping this post simple.
    20220728_165728 (resized).jpg20220728_165728 (resized).jpg20220728_172543 (resized).jpg20220728_172543 (resized).jpg

#860 1 year ago

Dave... Thanks for update.

Question: Do you feel these 2 speakers: GX528 backbox & JBL810 subwoofer are also a great choice for the older pins from the early 1990's to mid 90's (Like: TZ / TAF / FT / I-500 / ToM / CP / WH20)?

Thanks
    Kerry

#861 1 year ago
    Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

Dave... Thanks for update.
    Question: Do you feel these 2 speakers: GX528 backbox & JBL810 subwoofer are also a great choice for the older pins from the early 1990's to mid 90's (Like: TZ / TAF / FT / I-500 / ToM / CP / WH20)?
    Thanks
    Kerry

Was about to ask a similar question. I put the JBL810 in the cabinet of my LAH (because of Dave and his posts) and I love how it sounds so much. I have been considering doing the back box with the GX528, and then doing the same to my South Park. Great work Dave!

#862 1 year ago

Which speakers do you guys use for WPC games?

#863 1 year ago

Just FYI.

I am only using the JBLs in the backbox of Rush because they are leftover for me.

The speakers I prefer and recommend are the Kicker and Alpine - go back in the thread as I conducted speaker fights comparing different brands of speakers.

As far as older games and non-Sterns, I do not have any recommendations as I have done no research or testing on older machine. Therefore can not give any credible recommendations for speakers or amps etc. This may/will change in the future if and when I take on an older upgrade project. However there is a ton of common information in this thread that can be applied to your own project regardless of what it may be.

I also recommend reading this entire thread - I understand it's long, and who has the time etc. It would be a real bennifit to spend the time doing so.

#864 1 year ago

Back to my Rush Pro......

How does it now sound you ask?

BLAAAAAHHHHH..... Don't get me wrong, it's better... But it didn't have the same improvement as GZ.

To be fair - I am doing this in the middle of a room with 16' ceilings and it's literally in the middle of the room(not against a wall). This really messes with the soundstage.

To be fair #2 - My perspective of good sound is soooooo skewed now. Working with amps putting out 120 watts(measured) to the sub etc. and working with good gear and so-so gear has me a bit of a desensitized junkie now. It's either something spectacular or it may as well be stock.

I didn't see that coming...

What to do now? Since I'm hitting the limits of the Stern amp - I'll take the opportunity to install a mini amp not being used and hardwire it in for 1 button use. It should give the needed punch I'm after, and provide a great opportunity to write it up and show everyone the details of how it can be done easily.

#865 1 year ago
    Quoted from davegauth:

The speakers I prefer and recommend are the Kicker and Alpine - go back in the thread as I conducted speaker fights comparing different brands of speakers.
    As far as older games and non-Sterns, I do not have any recommendations as I have done no research or testing on older machine. Therefore can not give any credible recommendations for speakers or amps etc. This may/will change in the future if and when I take on an older upgrade project. However there is a ton of common information in this thread that can be applied to your own project regardless of what it may be.

I have Kickers and JBL 810 in my GZ LE and love it. Just started a project to drop same speakers into my ST:TNG (a bit more involved - new speaker panel, pinsound, etc). I'll report back here when it is up and running.

#866 1 year ago

Thought I would share an update here - I'm no audiophile, so your mileage may vary.

I always upgrade my pinball machine speakers and have been using Pyle 4" for the backbox and Skar 8" Mid range for the Cab and also a Monoproce 8" or 12" external sub. To me this setup sounds pretty good after dialing in the 10 band EQ's (on newer Stern's) to my preference - certainly much better than stock.

Since I'm getting mid-range from the cabinet speaker - I haven't upgraded to the 5 1/4" speakers for the backbox yet on my Stern machines.

Due to Dave's testing and recommendations (Thanks again Dave, we all appreciate it!), I decided to replace the backbox speakers in my Godzilla Premium to the Kicker 4" 46CSC44's when they were on sale for Amazon Prime day.

I left all of my EQ and other audio settings the same.

The Kickers are a bit louder and crisper in my opinion at the same volume as the Pyle's.

The Kickers do sound "better", but it's not a huge difference to me. Not sure yet if I'll end up swapping all of my games over, but wanted to provide some feedback.

If buying for new machines in the future - I would get the Kickers.

IMG_2983 (resized).JPGIMG_2983 (resized).JPGIMG_2984 (resized).JPGIMG_2984 (resized).JPG
    #867 1 year ago

Amp'n up Rush - PT1

Going to break this into 2 parts because of 4 Picture restriction per post.

None of these items are my primary choices for doing this. I am using extra parts I have laying around so they don't go to waste. I just want to improve the sound to the new standard of acceptability.

I'll be using the Fosi 2.1 mini amp, and wiring it for single button use. (Aka - turn the machine on and the amp turns on, turn the machine off and the amp turns off)

ADVISORY - DO AT YOUR OWN RISK.

STEPS
    1 - Take the included power brick and cut the end off that plugs into the wall.
    2 - Strip back the wires and attach "Piggyback Connectors" to each wire. Size 16-14 AWG.
    Tip - the wire is small compared to the terminal. I recommend stripping back about 5/8 of the insulation then folding the copper back on itself to double it up, then slide in the connector and crimp.
    3 - Remove the switched side leads from the machines power button, then install the new connectors and reconnect the machines switched side to the connectors. DONT MIX UP YOUR WIRES.
    Note: for the fosi power supply, it does not matter which wire is attached to pos or negative. An easy check is to look at the plug, if the plug has 2 identical terminals and can plug into the wall and then be turned 180 and plug intot he wall again then it's fine. If your plug goes into the wall only 1 way, then you are going to need to pay more attention the the pos and neg.
    4 - Loop and secure your wire up in a manner that does not put stress on the connectors.

That's it - power brick/supply is ready to go, and will be operated with 1 button machine turn on.

We did it the easy way and safe way. No need for an over engineered method of tapping into power from the main Stern Spike board.

Now that we have power, we need an audio signal. In this case I am using a pinovators adapter I have laying around. This isn't first choice, I'd rather come off of the CN2 connector on the board versus using a speaker line level tap. But - so is life... I have it and can get this done this weekend.

That's it for Part 1 - We now have switched power supply, and our audio signal ready.

Next up will be installing the amp, wiring the speakers, and dialing it in.
    20220730_133626 (resized).jpg20220730_133626 (resized).jpg20220730_133919 (resized).jpg20220730_133919 (resized).jpg20220730_135252 (resized).jpg20220730_135252 (resized).jpg20220730_141640 (resized).jpg20220730_141640 (resized).jpg

#868 1 year ago

Amp'n up Rush - PT2

I used one of my under cabinet mounts to secure the amp inside the cabinet. It's still reachable from the coin door. So this is kind of a set it and forget it approach.

I used some velcro tape from home depot to attach the power supply to the back corner of the cabinet. Pretty easy solution and I had a roll of it. I technically could have velcro the amp down too. But I had the mount already made for the fosi.

The speaker wiring is fairly simple - so no details to get into there. Just pay attention to your Left, Right, positive, neg etc.

I joined up all the wires(power, audio, back box speaker cables) and sent it down the hole on the right side of the backbox. I made a harness out of it all with zip ties to keep it clean. Making sure to leave a loop and slack at the back for when the head gets lowered.

Loop any extra wire and tie it up - look at just behind the amp.

That's it. Upgraded Audio system that puts out more power, sounds better, and has significantly better components than those $425 systems. Plus it has Bluetooth so it can be used as a jukebox in your game room.

Now to dial in the sound to my liking.

20220730_171011 (resized).jpg20220730_171011 (resized).jpg20220730_171121 (resized).jpg20220730_171121 (resized).jpg20220730_171153 (resized).jpg20220730_171153 (resized).jpg20220730_172813 (resized).jpg20220730_172813 (resized).jpg
    #869 1 year ago
    Quoted from davegauth:

Amp'n up Rush - PT2
    I used one of my under cabinet mounts to secure the amp inside the cabinet. It's still reachable from the coin door. So this is kind of a set it and forget it approach.
    I used some velcro tape from home depot to attach the power supply to the back corner of the cabinet. Pretty easy solution and I had a roll of it. I technically could have velcro the amp down too. But I had the mount already made for the fosi.
    The speaker wiring is fairly simple - so no details to get into there. Just pay attention to your Left, Right, positive, neg etc.
    I joined up all the wires(power, audio, back box speaker cables) and sent it down the hole on the right side of the backbox. I made a harness out of it all with zip ties to keep it clean. Making sure to leave a loop and slack at the back for when the head gets lowered.
    That's it. Upgraded Audio system that puts out more power, sounds better, and has significantly better components than those $425 systems. Plus it has Bluetooth so it can be used as a jukebox in your game room.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Well done! Supe clean.
    I will probably take this approach.

#870 1 year ago
    Quoted from davegauth:

Amp'n up Rush - PT2
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

What gauge speaker wire did you use? 16 gauge? Have you ever tried anything thinner for the backbox speakers? I would think that 20 or maybe even 22 gauge would drive the backbox speakers with no perceivable change in volume or tone.

#871 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pwedge:

What gauge speaker wire did you use? 16 gauge? Have you ever tried anything thinner for the backbox speakers? I would think that 20 or maybe even 22 gauge would drive the backbox speakers with no perceivable change in volume or tone.

I have a roll of 16g, and just use it for everything. Keeps it simple.

#872 1 year ago
    Quoted from davegauth:

Run whatever you feel comfortable with.
    I have a roll of 16g, and use it for everything. Keeps it simple.

Fair enough. Thanks for the response.

#873 1 year ago
    Quoted from davegauth:

Amp'n up Rush - PT1

Great job, really clean.

One question, your power supply. Looks like 24V, 4.5 amp. Call it 100 Watts. Is that enough headroom for nice and loud and no clipping? I believe the amps are rated up to 300+ Watts or so. I love the brick power supply, for sure. If that works, it's the ideal solution. And once you confirm that's enough power, might you have a purchase link?

Thanks!

#874 1 year ago
    Quoted from DiabloRush:

Great job, really clean.
    One question, your power supply. Looks like 24V, 4.5 amp. Call it 100 Watts. Is that enough headroom for nice and loud and no clipping? I believe the amps are rated up to 300+ Watts or so. I live the brick power supply, for sure. If that works, it's the ideal solution.
    Thanks!

I'm not sure how you are getting 300 watts from this Fosi 2.1 amp. It's absolute, little engine that could, wishful thinking is 200 watts. Of which it doesn't even come close - maybe 75.

You can certainly get a bigger power supply for this amplifier, but you are not going to increase its performance by doing so. You will hit the internal protection long before you take advantage of the 300 watts you are making available to it

Clipping is generally driven by the voltage rails not being wide enough. So if the amp wants 24v but you hook it up to a 12v source then you will clip and distort at lower output wattage levels.

Step #1 - Always feed an amp the max voltage it wants.
    Step #2 - Give it access to enough wattage(Volts x Amps = Watts) that it can use/output.

Let's keep it simple.

This amp comes with its own power supply/brick. The amp wants 24v and the powerr supply delivers 24v. Measured with a meter to confirm. Check that box.

The amps wishful thinking output is 200 watts.(50x2 , 100x1). The power supply can make 108 watts available. (24v x 4.5 amps). The amplifier trips its protection circuitry prior to max volume. Making 300 watts available for this amp will not change this limitation. The supplied brick checks the final box.
    (Further verified by giving it a 6.5a supply to verify)

There are times when the supplied brick/supply will be under valued and can be improved upon. Nobsound comes to mind, with its included 19v supply.

Go back a few pages as I have a big writeup on choosing power supplies and calculating wattage etc. Also my review of this amplifier, and a few others.

#875 1 year ago

Sorry, my typo. Yes, 200W is the spec. I ordered a couple cheap TAP3116D2 amps off AliExpress. They don't come with power supplies, and being cheap, I was looking for an elegant solution at low cost. From your writeup, a 4.5A 24V supply is acceptable. Thanks.

Screen Shot 2022-07-31 at 9.33.52 AM (resized).jpgScreen Shot 2022-07-31 at 9.33.52 AM (resized).jpg

#876 1 year ago
    Quoted from DiabloRush:

Sorry, my typo. Yes, 200W is the spec. I ordered a couple cheap TAP3116D2 amps off AliExpress. They don't come with power supplies, and being cheap, I was looking for an elegant solution at low cost. From your writeup, a 4.5A 24V supply is acceptable. Thanks.
    [quoted image]

Go back a few pages, I did a writeup/review on this amplifier as well. Lots of really good info that may help you with your installation.

Edit: Found it, post #778

#877 1 year ago
    Quoted from davegauth:

Go back a few pages, I did a writeup/review on this amplifier as well. Lots of really good info that may help you with your installation.
    Edit: Found it, post #778

Yes, I read that sometime ago. Ordered a bunch on the cheap thanks to your review.

#878 1 year ago

Super dumb question. With these external amps and speakers, do the Stern volume buttons, front panel volume control, and digital EQ still work? I looked, but couldn’t find a straight answer to this.

#879 1 year ago
    Quoted from DiabloRush:

Super dumb question. With these external amps and speakers, do the Stern volume buttons, front panel volume control, and digital EQ still work? I looked, but couldn’t find a straight answer to this.

yes to all.

#880 1 year ago
    Quoted from davegauth:

STEPS
    1 - Take the included power brick and cut the end off that plugs into the wall.
    2 - Strip back the wires and attach "Piggyback Connectors" to each wire. Size 16-14 AWG.
    Tip - the wire is small compared to the terminal. I recommend stripping back about 5/8 of the insulation then folding the copper back on itself to double it up, then slide in the connector and crimp.
    3 - Remove the switched side leads from the machines power button, then install the new connectors and reconnect the machines switched side to the connectors. DONT MIX UP YOUR WIRES.
    Note: for the fosi power supply, it does not matter which wire is attached to pos or negative. An easy check is to look at the plug, if the plug has 2 identical terminals and can plug into the wall and then be turned 180 and plug intot he wall again then it's fine. If your plug goes into the wall only 1 way, then you are going to need to pay more attention the the pos and neg.
    4 - Loop and secure your wire up in a manner that does not put stress on the connectors.

That's it - power brick/supply is ready to go, and will be operated with 1 button machine turn on.

We did it the easy way and safe way. No need for an over engineered method of tapping into power from the main Stern Spike board.

You might want to advise people to unplug their game on the back of the backbox or from the outlet. The reason I say that is because what you have marked as the hot side and the switched side is not always the case. Somedays the workers at Stern hook them up the other way. In that case, the person doing the install would think they were safe just having the switch turned off and pulling off the "switched" wires, but if the wires are reversed at the factory, they would be grabbing the hot wires going into the switch and not the wires running from it.

I've never had this reported in games made for North America (as I instruct people to connect to the bill validator power connection on those games), but I have had many reports of the wires on the switch being the opposite as you have marked from international users that do connect my light kits to the switch like that. So, I am expecting it may happen on North American games also.

If that is the case, even if the install goes well, you might want to make a note to make sure the switch is actually turning the power transformer on and off with the switch. If the wires were put on the switch from the factory differently, it would be getting power all of the time. Even with the switch turned off. Seeing that has happened with speaker lights is pretty obvious, but I'm not sure if the power transformer and amp getting power when the game is switch off would be noticed.

#881 1 year ago
    Quoted from DugFreez:

You might want to advise people to unplug their game on the back of the backbox or from the outlet. The reason I say that is because what you have marked as the hot side and the switched side is not always the case. Somedays the workers at Stern hook them up the other way. In that case, the person doing the install would think they were safe just having the switch turned off and pulling off the "switched" wires, but if the wires are reversed at the factory, they would be grabbing the hot wires going into the switch and not the wires running from it.
    I've never had this reported in games made for North America (as I instruct people to connect to the bill validator power connection on those games), but I have had many reports of the wires on the switch being the opposite as you have marked from international users that do connect my light kits to the switch like that. So, I am expecting it may happen on North American games also.
    If that is the case, even if the install goes well, you might want to make a note to make sure the switch is actually turning the power transformer on and off with the switch. If the wires were put on the switch from the factory differently, it would be getting power all of the time. Even with the switch turned off. Seeing that has happened with speaker lights is pretty obvious, but I'm not sure if the power transformer and amp getting power when the game is switch off would be noticed.

Unfortunately, I can no longer edit the original post.

You bring up some good points, and tips. Hope this can clear things up.

ADVISORY/PUBLIC NOTICE - WIRING AMPS FOR 1 BUTTON OPERATION:

Doug has a few good points in his post and things to watch out for.

1 - There are instances where Stern may have their hot side and switched side terminals mixed side to side and opposite what I marked in the picture. You may want to verify this with a voltmeter before beginning.
    a - With the machine switched off, and plugged in, you can check for voltage across the pos/neg terminals. Whichever has voltage is the hot side. Whichever side does not have voltage is the switched side.
    b - If you have a continuity tester or OHM meter - you can also test this. with the machine switched OFF unplug it from the wall. Check for continuity from the end of the power cord to the terminal on the switch. The side that has continuity is the hot side, the side that does not is the switched side.

2 - Unplug your machine from the wall when you are making these connections. It'll keep you from sparking, getting electrocuted etc. Plug it back in after the proper connections are made.

3 - Double check that the amp is turning on and off with the machine power switch after all connections are made. If the amp turns on and off with the pinball machine switch then you are good to go. If it stays on regardless of the switch position, then you have the hot and switched sides mixed up. Unplug your machine and switch your connectors to the other side and try again.

NOTE: You can also tap into the 110v bill acceptor power that is behind the metal cover in the backbox. I did not do it this way, because this is a location game and I will need to utilize the 110v bill acceptor power source for the bill acceptor. If you want to use the 110V bill acceptor as your source that will work too. I will probably do this and write it up at some point in the future.

Hope this clears things up and adds some additional context to the procedure.

#882 1 year ago
    Quoted from davegauth:

NOTE: You can also tap into the 110v bill acceptor power that is behind the metal cover in the backbox. I did not do it this way, because this is a location game and I will need to utilize the 110v bill acceptor power source for the bill acceptor. If you want to use the 110V bill acceptor as your source that will work too. I will probably do this and write it up at some point in the future.

The sad news about that is sometimes they don't put the bill validator connection in games when they are supposed to. I imagine they run out of that wire connection harness and just say "When in doubt.....roll-em' out" and just send them down the line without them. Chances are most people aren't going to use it anyway. I have seen that being the case several times. It's often mixed with the service outlet also being missing in some of those cases. I haven't had any reported issues of it recently so maybe things have shaped up somewhat.

#883 1 year ago

Aren’t you having any issues on replacing the 8 Ohm by 4Ohm speakers? Isn’t it supposed to drain more current and maybe damage the board long term? (Without any amps, just a speaker replacement…)

I’m planning to upgrade my (SAM not Spike) and all the automotive stuff are 4Ohm…..

#884 1 year ago

Just received my power supply and need help. There's four spots to connect wires. I'm guessing the + & - are for incoming electricity and the other 2 go to the amp but it has some weird markings I don't understand I'm assuming the wires going to the amp need to be the right orientation so how do I know if I have it right? Is tapping off in the backbox just after the incoming cureent as mentioned in an erlier post the best way to get power or a cord with a plug to a wall outlet or seevice outlet inside the game?Last thing one of the holes has metal around it for an obvious ground,what's the best way to ground this? I'd like the power supply inside the back box or cab.

20220809_161547 (resized).jpg20220809_161547 (resized).jpg20220809_161632 (resized).jpg20220809_161632 (resized).jpg
    #885 1 year ago

Following as I may try the power supply solution.

#886 1 year ago
    Quoted from hank527:

I've determined the + and ‐ is my dc output to the amp and the other side is my ac in. Now I need to figure out where to tie in the power and where to ground.

#887 1 year ago

Dear pinheads! I’m about to upgrade my GZ premium backbox speakers to Kicker CSC5 5.25”’s. I will be using a Polk external sub with this. No external eq for now. Any pointers in terms of eq settings would be welcome. For both backbox as well as cabinet speaker. Sometimes I am thinking to just turn off the cabinet speaker as between the kickers and external sub perhaps all the needed range and quality will be there. Thanks very much.

#888 1 year ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

Dear pinheads! I’m about to upgrade my GZ premium backbox speakers to Kicker CSC5 5.25”’s. I will be using a Polk external sub with this. No external eq for now. Any pointers in terms of eq settings would be welcome. For both backbox as well as cabinet speaker. Sometimes I am thinking to just turn off the cabinet speaker as between the kickers and external sub perhaps all the needed range and quality will be there. Thanks very much.

Its in the key post at the top,post #738.

#889 1 year ago
    Quoted from Puffdanny:

Its in the key post at the top,post #738.

I appreciate that, it’s for quite a different set up than what I will be doing though so not sure how apt. I’m using the 5.25 kickers backbox, stock cab, external powered 10” sub. From what I’ve read I think the main thing to watch for with this is freq overlap in the cabinet full range speaker with the kickers. So cutting of some of the higher freq from the cabinet speaker or just turning it off is what I will try.

#890 1 year ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

I appreciate that, it’s for quite a different set up than what I will be doing though so not sure how apt. I’m using the 5.25 kickers backbox, stock cab, external powered 10” sub. From what I’ve read I think the main thing to watch for with this is freq overlap in the cabinet full range speaker with the kickers. So cutting of some of the higher freq from the cabinet speaker or just turning it off is what I will try.

I run a similar setup on my Spike 2 games and have had good luck turning off the oem EQ (opens up the frequency response on the aftermarket speakers) and fading more to backbox speakers (10 or so) to quiet the cabinet speaker.

#891 1 year ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

I'm running the 5.25" Kickers and a 10" powered sub but I did change the cab to the 8" JBL running all at 8 ohm and it sounds really good and loud. I'm adding an amp mainly because I wanted the bluetooth option to play music from my phone. I got the power supply figures out and hope to install and wire everything in this weekend.

#892 1 year ago
    Quoted from hank527:

I decided for now I will plug the power supply in to a wall socket outside the machine to get everything working. After I build a cage around the power supply with some acrylic and rubber spacers I want to put it direct wired in the backbox.
    I figured out which side was AC in and DC out with the help of Google translator and also verified by the small fuse. Assuming the orientation was consistent with the labeled DC out side I determined the positive and negative connectors and then verified underneath that the fuse was on the same trace as the positive connector. I also had an electrician at work look it over for verification. I need to get a nut,bolt and washer to secure the ground. The hot wire has the tape on it.

20220816_194255 (resized).jpg20220816_194255 (resized).jpg20220816_194649 (resized).jpg20220816_194649 (resized).jpg
    #893 1 year ago

In the midst of putting 5.25 kickers in Godzilla. To foam or not to foam? I thought it may interfere with the speaker’s cone vibrating since these kickers seem to touch the foam where as the stock speakers didn’t. Does it matter from a sound performance standpoint?

Edit: thanks for the feedback all. To test things out I left foam in one side and listening carefully to each I could not tell a difference nor did speaker seem to vibrate against it. Seems moot. So I would say it’s a style choice.

73E8A9B1-882E-4C9F-A698-8E0E2FB1563B (resized).jpeg73E8A9B1-882E-4C9F-A698-8E0E2FB1563B (resized).jpegB112C3C5-ED7E-4554-860A-28F3A1D7AB27 (resized).jpegB112C3C5-ED7E-4554-860A-28F3A1D7AB27 (resized).jpeg

#894 1 year ago

I left mine in and don't hear any issues but I like the look of it out.

#895 1 year ago

I feel out is better as foam is going to block sound, though it’s low density stuff, so maybe it’s moot.

#896 1 year ago

I think the speaker actually looks better without the foam.

#897 1 year ago

I agree. I have the Kickers in my Godzilla LE and looks great without the foam.

That being said, when my flaming city speaker light kit gets here, I will have foam to accentuate the flame effect.

#898 1 year ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

So I would say it’s a style choice.

Quoted from Puffdanny:

but I like the look of it out.

Quoted from rwilimo:

I think the speaker actually looks better without the foam.

Seeing 5.25" speakers mounted on the proper 5.25" speaker plates looks nice.

What does not look nice is the 4" speaker plates. Who wants to see the off-centerer speaker holes with those craptastic bars running through them? It's best to keep the foam over them.

#899 1 year ago
    Quoted from DugFreez:

Seeing 5.25" speakers mounted on the proper 5.25" speaker plates looks nice.
    What does not look nice is the 4" speaker plates. Who wants to see the off-centerer speaker holes with those craptastic bars running through them? It's best to keep the foam over them.

I have bought from PU-Parts in Europe some 4" speaker plate without the bars. But yes... it's not centered... Which is really a mistery to me as to why

#900 1 year ago
    Quoted from Ashram56:

I have bought from PU-Parts in Europe some 4" speaker plate without the bars. But yes... it's not centered... Which is really a mistery to me as to why

Those may have been my 4" speaker plates. Though, they are only made for use with my type 11, 12 or 14 Speaker Light Kits. On them, the 4" hole is offset on the plate, but that actually makes it so the 4" hole IS centered in the honeycomb grill area when it is mounted. The issue with the Stern plate is the hole is centered on the plate, but when the plate is mounted....the holes are not centered in the grill area of the panel.

Removing the bars in the holes was the main reasoning for me designing them. That was done so upgraded 4" speakers that have the extended tweeters on them could mount directly to the speaker plate without any spacers. I figured if I were going to make them....I might as well center the 4" hole in the grill area also. As well as include 4 mounting studs instead of only having 2 as Stern have on their 4" speaker plates.

I considered having them made so they could be used without my Speaker Light Kits, but I have learned over the years...if I would have done that, people would have just bought someone else's light kit knock offs to use with my 4" speaker plates and I see no reason to go to the trouble to design a speaker plate that would make someone else's copy of my product look better.

As it is....I believe I have probably sold more of those 4" speaker plates to people that have used them to add an additional speaker (and sometimes speaker lights) to The Pin home edition games than for any other reason. Being able to use them for that purpose was just by coincidence and some modification to them is still required I believe.

Replacement SP Centered (resized).jpgReplacement SP Centered (resized).jpgReplacement SP Front (resized).jpgReplacement SP Front (resized).jpgReplacement SP Back (resized).jpgReplacement SP Back (resized).jpg
    There are 1,828 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 37.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/improving-sound-quality-the-diy-route/page/18 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.