(Topic ID: 307852)

Improving Sound Quality - The DIY Route

By davegauth

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3311120240422_225954 (resized).jpg
    222220240422_214549 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1701 (resized).jpeg
    504783-a257170fca2168983d2a6e1bbfec3f44 (resized).jpg
    received_6742998335800442 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    320-3350_HR_0.default (resized).jpg
    607DEEC4-36DB-45AA-8B61-018875778767 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    slika-1109725-631a4b9a8ef1e-velika-3077129719 (resized).jpg
    5580B012-A4F2-4FA4-ADF1-E8801A418BC1 (resized).jpeg
    8CDE1FF8-62E4-40F4-85EF-E93F22435908 (resized).jpeg
    C5D15E76-AC5F-4258-BC0F-0ECB29263D5B (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20240222-214420_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    February 2024 DIY Super Kit (resized).jpg
    20240218_102558 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 1,828 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 37.
    #801 1 year ago

Amp review time - This is the Wuzhi Audio ZK-HT21. This 2.1 amp runs about $50 on Amazon. What makes it interesting is it is the first amp we review that is running the TDA7498E amp chipset. What this means is more power...

Big thanks to Puffdanny who sent this amp to me for review.

My overall thoughts: This is a nice step up in power from anything we tested so far. It easily sits atop the power output rankings. As far as overall sound quality, I'd place it on par with the Fosi. You will want to run this on a 36volt power supply with a minimum of 5-6amps.

Would I use this on any of my pins? It's too early to say. There are some other amplifiers I'd like to test that are capable of similar power outputs before saying for sure.

Note - This amp does have Bluetooth, it does NOT come with a power supply, it does not have a fully enclosed case.

This amp comes as an amp board with some standoffs and screws as well as a metal top and bottom plates. It's advertised as 2x160 watts 1x220 watts using the same TPA7498E chipset. It has 2x 4700 uF capacitors.

This amp can run on 12-36volts. Tests were run at both 24volts and at 36volts. I felt the quality of the sound was better at 36v.

Clamp testing the wattage(running 36volts input) shows it is consistently putting out about 90 watts on the 4ohm load Sub Channel. This is at max volume, max bass using the same testing criteria as all the other amps have gone through. This increase in output was noticeable even before taking the actual measurements. This is the first amp that drove the subwoofer to the point where I could smell voice the voice coil. The spinners were dancing, coin slots were pumping air, and the coin return flaps were flapping. If you had any thoughts of changing your subwoofer to a 10" or 12" you could do it with this amp.
    **For reference the output was 63watts running at 24volts input.

Pro's:
    - The highest power output of any amp tested to date.
    - Inexpensive at $50
    - Can be used with 1 button turn on. When the power is cut, it will revert to the Aux input.
    - Bluetooth range was good, i walked around the house and went into a couple rooms and closed the doors without issue.
    - Line noise was low, but this could be because the 36V power supply I was using is a good quality Mean Well.
    - Fan noise is very low. Hardly noticeable. (Fan is always on)
    - After 45 minutes of playing at tick off the neighbor volume levels, the amp was still cool to the touch.

Cons:
    - The high pass filter for the L+R channel is a bit aggressive. It appears to start cutting off around 225hz, which is a bit high.
    - Because the high pass is starts at about 225hz you are asking the subwoofer to come up and cover some higher frequencies. Which it can not do very effectively, so you end up with a small lull between 165-225hz.
    - When running at 24volts the sound quality of the L+R channels sounded a bit muddled. This cleaned up a some when I fed it 36Volts.
    - Looking under the hood - it appears as thought the chipset is a clone of some sort. There are no brand or chip identifiers on it. Unlike the last amplifier we reviewed with a clone 3116 chipset, I don't feel that this clone was a detriment. However; It does make me wonder what a legit chipset would sound like.

Electronic erotica below -

20220621_210716 (resized).jpg20220621_210716 (resized).jpg20220621_211230 (resized).jpg20220621_211230 (resized).jpg20220621_224838 (resized).jpg20220621_224838 (resized).jpg
    #802 1 year ago

Is this the right housing connector for a spike 2 sub? I want to be able to set up my speakers so they are super easy to swap in and out when I swap machines, so leaving the soldered wires on once I've done it once. Thanks

https://www.molex.com/molex/products/part-detail/crimp_housings/0039012020

#803 1 year ago

I asked the Stern Support and got a response : they said it’s an 16 awg wire. Unfornately I can‘t find a source to buy the wire in yellow with white stripes from . Anyone an idea where to get the wire from ? Thanks
    Max

#804 1 year ago

I see everyone is replacing the 8" with a sub, for those running an external sub what are anyones thoughts on an 8' sub vs an 8" midrange speaker for the cabinet?

#805 1 year ago
    Quoted from rwilimo:

I see everyone is replacing the 8" with a sub, for those running an external sub what are anyones thoughts on an 8' sub vs an 8" midrange speaker for the cabinet?

I've tried both and prefer the midrange while running an external sub.

I'm using Skar Audio FSX8-4 8" Mid-Range Woofer in several games with external subs.

#806 1 year ago
    Quoted from awesome1:

I'm using Skar Audio FSX8-4 8" Mid-Range Woofer in several games with external subs.

Are you doing anything to filter out frequencies to the mid-woofer?

#807 1 year ago
    Quoted from Lamprey:

Are you doing anything to filter out frequencies to the mid-woofer?

I’m only using the Stern built in EQ. The woofer can cover a pretty good range, but I do turn down the higher frequencies a little and boost the lows.

#808 1 year ago
    Quoted from mrossman5:

Can confirm that the JBL Stage 810 is a drop in replacement with the “sex bolts”. Incredibly easy and absolutely worth it.
    This may sound dumb, but I can’t seem to find the EQ settings in my GZ pro. I have a few frequency options but nothing like the EQ shown in the recommended settings post.

What length are you guys getting? I clicked on the link and it brought up 3/4" which was way too long.

#809 1 year ago

I still consider go find "4 random bolts that are long enough" around the house a "drop in replacement" But i do have lots of m3 machine screws around for other hobbies. Just in case anyone assumes that the existing bolts are hard to remove bcause of how they are flat on the head, you really can just tap on them and they'll fall right throw and an m3 bolt will fit great. I did use some washers

#810 1 year ago
    Quoted from awesome1:

Thanks for the reply, I think I going to go with Hertz SV200.1 in that case.

#811 1 year ago
    Quoted from WeirPinball:

What length are you guys getting? I clicked on the link and it brought up 3/4" which was way too long.

They are supposed to be, here is a photo of mine.

EF75F1E6-1EF7-4F81-AE24-D55ACAD2E1F2 (resized).jpegEF75F1E6-1EF7-4F81-AE24-D55ACAD2E1F2 (resized).jpeg
    #812 1 year ago
    Quoted from mrossman5:

[quoted image]

Thanks

#813 1 year ago
    Quoted from mrossman5:

[quoted image]

No. Those are way too long. That speaker is basically floating. The sex bolt head should be flush with the back of the speaker. In this case I am wondering why you are not just using the original nuts? Is the stud sticking up through the speaker far enough to get the nut on it? It not the sex bolt needs to be much smaller and/or space with a bunch of washers. The 5/8 should work for most applications.

I've used these speaker rings before on Pyle speakers. I do recommend using flush mountable speakers though so the spacer is not needed.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0784K6XL7

This is how the sex bolts should look:

20220625_075206 (resized).jpg20220625_075206 (resized).jpg Added 21 months ago:

Note: I had to drill out the holes in the 810 in order to use the sex bolts. This speaker works great because it can be rear mounted without an adapter ring.

#814 1 year ago

Just plain nuts and bolts..then you don't have to care about what size bolts, just as long as it's long enough!

Question: this is my first pin. Do you guys save the factory speakers or toss them? I don't have plans to sell the pin, but when I do maybe I sell for 100 less to take my speakers back out and use them in another pin? Takes up a box in the attic though. Similar thoughts for lots of mods but speakers take up more room....

#815 1 year ago
    Quoted from Sorokyl:

Just plain nuts and bolts..then you don't have to care about what size bolts, just as long as it's long enough!
    Question: this is my first pin. Do you guys save the factory speakers or toss them? I don't have plans to sell the pin, but when I do maybe I sell for 100 less to take my speakers back out and use them in another pin? Takes up a box in the attic though. Similar thoughts for lots of mods but speakers take up more room....

I keep the factory of all the mods I put into my game including speaker upgrades. It’s not that hard switch them out and if the new buyer doesn’t value or appreciate the upgrades then I put the originals back in.

#816 1 year ago

Random question...

Would you peeps like me to produce videos?

It stinks I can't just upload short clips to pinside. I'm a bit resistant to doing a YouTube channel, and dealing with editing etc.

Just wondering, open to feedbck.

#817 1 year ago
    Quoted from davegauth:

Random question...
    It stinks I can't just upload short clips to pinside. I'm a bit resistant to doing a YouTube channel, and dealing with editing etc.

Videos? Hell Yea!!

#818 1 year ago

I mean if you really want to but I feel like a few photos are pretty much all you need to explain a speaker/amp installation. If it would replace your excellent text write ups I would say no - ability to search this thread for specific info is awesome.

#819 1 year ago
    Quoted from davegauth:

Random question...

I would love a video on installing an amp. I feel that Can and backbox speakers are pretty easy to install and you’ve already provided great write ups and research on what you feel has the best output and balance.

A video on Amp preference, installation, and setup would be awesome and much appreciated. I know you’re still kind of researching this, but would be great for the future.

#820 1 year ago

You can always make the youtube videos non searchable, so they can only be accessed from links posted in this thread. Just a thought.

#821 1 year ago

I finally got my GZ Premium and yesterday installed my 5.25” kicker DS’s and my JBL Stage 810. We play at typically lower volumes.

Initial results were “meh” until I changed the EQ as recommended. Then…whoa.

Hell Yes. Complete game changer, this is the best bang for buck mod out there for GZ and I suspect any Spike 2.

#822 1 year ago
    Quoted from WeirPinball:

Yup recommend of 3/4” doesn’t work, I used some extra nyloc nuts I had as giant washers. I think 3/8” would probably be the ticket on mine.

#823 1 year ago

Double

#824 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pugster:

I finally got my GZ Premium and yesterday installed my 5.25” kicker DS’s and my JBL Stage 810. We play at typically lower volumes.
    Hell Yes. Complete game changer, this is the best bang for buck mod out there for GZ and I suspect any Spike 2.

Can you point to which posts have the exact settings your using? (And 4ohm or 8ohm on each?) I have the same set up on same game, but I do have the 4" version instead of 5.25. I wonder how that affects how I should tune the EQ...

#825 1 year ago
    Quoted from Sorokyl:

Can you point to which posts have the exact settings your using? (And 4ohm or 8ohm on each?) I have the same set up on same game, but I do have the 4" version instead of 5.25. I wonder how that affects how I should tune the EQ...

It’s the last post on the sticky list on page one! Dave’s original EQ settings seemed to work really well for me. Let me know!

Oh, and 8ohm all around

#826 1 year ago

Finally got around to installing the JBL 810 in my GZ (Kicker CS5's and Dayton 2.1 amp already installed). What a fantastic BOOM from the cabinet! Absolutely love it! No need for an external subwoofer anymore (which is what I was hoping for). The eq settings in the sticky note make all the difference (thank you!)

For those using the Dayton amp in this combo, where are you setting the sub level and tone? I'm going back and forth between 4ohm and 8ohm for the backbox speakers and compensating with tone controls, but not quite settling into anything yet

I too have the 3/4" sex bolts and they are too long...the hit the bottom of the cabinet and stop before securing the sub. I'll be dropping in some M5 bolts as spacers so the thing isn't rattling around

#827 1 year ago

For those that upgraded your speakers and added an amp, are you getting any rattles or vibrations from the game that weren’t present before?

#828 1 year ago

Was a bit of a pain sorting this all out.

The things we do for more power!

Still have to hook up to the DSP and fully program it, before reviewing.

Quick impression - very clean. Stupid amounts of power available.. Measuring about 120watts at the sub. Could be crazy good if the DSP programming will do what I hope it can.
    20220701_202935 (resized).jpg20220701_202935 (resized).jpg

#829 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pugster:

no external amp here? I have not had time to read through all the stickies yet but I will, just waiting a bit and letting this thread ripe a bit I am wanting to up grade my music pins

#830 1 year ago
    Quoted from davegauth:

Was a bit of a pain sorting this all out.
    The things we do for more power!
    Still have to hook up to the DSP and fully program it, before reviewing.
    Quick impression - very clean. Stupid amounts of power available.. Measuring about 120watts at the sub. Could be crazy good if the DSP programming will do what I hope it can.
    [quoted image]

That's interesting. Does it include a native DSP (Sigma I assume) ? Where did you get it ?

Cheers

#831 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

no external amp here? I have not had time to read through all the stickies yet but I will, just waiting a bit and letting this thread ripe a bit I am wanting to up grade my music pins

No external amp, just a speaker upgrade!

#832 1 year ago
    Quoted from max_pinball:

I asked the Stern Support and got a response : they said it’s an 16 awg wire. Unfornately I can‘t find a source to buy the wire in yellow with white stripes from . Anyone an idea where to get the wire from ? Thanks
    Max

No one an idea ? It’s seemed to be Yellow and white or am I wrong ?
    Thanks
    Max

#833 1 year ago
    Quoted from Ashram56:

That's interesting. Does it include a native DSP (Sigma I assume) ? Where did you get it ?
    Cheers

Exactly, they have an on board DSP that can be adjusted using Sigma Studio.

Parts express has them as KAB boards, and Wondom as the JAB boards.

#834 1 year ago
    Quoted from max_pinball:

Thanks
    Max

It's a short wire at the bottom of your pinball cabinet. To me, does not matter at all! If your OCD, get a yellow wire. At a glance you'll never notice the lack of a stripe.

#835 1 year ago
    Quoted from max_pinball:

Thanks
    Max

Tips and trick.

Take a white wire. Roll it around a piece of pipe for the whole length, just like a coil. Apply yellow paint, let it dry, unroll. Voilà, you've got your striped wire.

#836 1 year ago
    Quoted from davegauth:

Exactly, they have an on board DSP that can be adjusted using Sigma Studio.
    Parts express has them as KAB boards, and Wondom as the JAB boards.

I live in Europe, hopefully I can find them as well.

#837 1 year ago

Rando update:

Still playing with higher powered amps. Kind of liking the clarity the higher powered amps are capable of.

Dayton is still my #1 for most pins wanting the best bang for the buck and ease of install. Fosi is just behind it.

The higher powered amps I'm starting to get into are more for the rock pins that you want to take to ludicrous mode.

I just picked up a GnR and have a Rush lined up. Soooo ludicrous mode it is...

I'm eye balling a 2x200watt 1x400watt amp, double the power of the current high powered amp I'm testing now... What is wrong with me....

#838 1 year ago
    Quoted from Ashram56:

I live in Europe, hopefully I can find them as well.

So I've been looking, Dayton Audio carries them under two different product line, KABD and DSPB. They seem interesting, but I could not find a 2.1 version, which I think would be preferred in this use case (I think the one you have is a 4x100W amplifier, right ? 119 euros in Europe).

Would be curious to see what you manage to build with it.

Also, has anyone experimented with dual coil subwoofers ?

[EDIT] actually, this specific 4x amplifier is also perfect for dual coil subwoofer: 2.0 for main speakers, and 2.0 for dual coil

I think 4x100W is rather overkill, I would think 4x30w is sufficient given the speaker size

#839 1 year ago
    Quoted from Ashram56:

So I've been looking, Dayton Audio carries them under two different product line, KABD and DSPB. They seem interesting, but I could not find a 2.1 version, which I think would be preferred in this use case (I think the one you have is a 4x100W amplifier, right ? 119 euros in Europe).
    Would be curious to see what you manage to build with it.
    Also, has anyone experimented with dual coil subwoofers ?
    [EDIT] actually, this specific 4x amplifier is also perfect for dual coil subwoofer: 2.0 for main speakers, and 2.0 for dual coil
    I think 4x100W is rather overkill, I would think 4x30w is sufficient given the speaker size

Overkill = Ludicrous = #awesome

Yes it's the 4x100. Because it has a built in DSP it can be configured with Sigma Studio to run 2.1 and be completely customizable. This is not an option for 99% of everyone, it's just too complicated.

What I would recommend for you(and 99% of everyone who wants to add an amplifier easily) is the Dayton DTA-2.1BT2 mini amplifier. I've covered/reviewed it previously in this thread. The Fosi 2.1 mini amp is my second choice.

Dual Voice coil subs - These do not provide more power or performance than a single voice coil sub. A dual coil sub should have only 1 single mono channel delivered to it. The reason dual voice coil subwoofers exist is to have better options for ohm loads while reducing the amount of inventory and SKU's. A dual voice coil 4ohm speaker can be wired for 8ohms or 2 ohms, a dual 2 ohm can be wired to 4ohm or 1ohm etc.

#840 1 year ago

Just got an email that the Kicker 5.25” back box speakers are on sale for $72 at Crutchfield, a bit cheaper than the usual street price of $80 at Amazon.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_20646CC54/Kicker-46CSC54.html

I know the JBL Stage gets tossed around as the 8” cab recommendation, but how about this Dayton for a similar price? I have been real impressed with their subs, currently running 2x18s in my theater. It kinda seems like the JBL is in the lead due to ease of mounting but that’s less of a factor for me.

https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-DCS205-4-8-Classic-Subwoofer-4-Ohm-295-200

#841 1 year ago
    Quoted from davegauth:

Rando update:
    Still playing with higher powered amps. Kind of liking the clarity the higher powered amps are capable of.
    Dayton is still my #1 for most pins wanting the best bang for the buck and ease of install. Fosi is just behind it.
    The higher powered amps I'm starting to get into are more for the rock pins that you want to take to ludicrous mode.
    I just picked up a GnR and have a Rush lined up. Soooo ludicrous mode it is...
    I'm eye balling a 2x200watt 1x400watt amp, double the power of the current high powered amp I'm testing now... What is wrong with me....

Nothing and I have both those games so I can wait!!!!!!

Thanks for doing all this Dave, if you need something please do not be afraid to PM me. John

#842 1 year ago
    Quoted from ToddSonOfOdin:

Just got an email that the Kicker 5.25” back box speakers are on sale for $72 at Crutchfield, a bit cheaper than the usual street price of $80 at Amazon.
    https://www.crutchfield.com/p_20646CC54/Kicker-46CSC54.html
    I know the JBL Stage gets tossed around as the 8” cab recommendation, but how about this Dayton for a similar price? I have been real impressed with their subs, currently running 2x18s in my theater. It kinda seems like the JBL is in the lead due to ease of mounting but that’s less of a factor for me.
    https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-DCS205-4-8-Classic-Subwoofer-4-Ohm-295-200

Absolutely - give it a go. Many of the Dayton products are generally pretty good.

Worst case is you will need a spacer, which is no big deal. Then a simple writeup back here on how it worked out.

#843 1 year ago

I've been looking for ways to power control a mod or amplifier to turn on when the power switch to the game is turned on. I was going to DIY a relay circuit myself that switches on a/c power when it detects the game's 12v power coming on. I found a device that can be had for about $30 that does it nice and clean and I don't have to build it myself!!

Connect the terminal on the side to 12v power from the game and the a/c outlets will turn on and off with the game power...

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #844 1 year ago

I decided to MacGruber a sound upgrade for Rush using all the spare audio equipment I had in the attic.

Pinwoofer output board ($30) is the only part I bought. That gives me 3 outputs to use for the system.

Yamaha receiver
    External powered Polk subwoofer ($15 from Goodwill)
    8" mid-range woofer replaced the cabinet speaker
    JBL speakers magnetically mounted to the backbox

67746561172__20BD1E51-FC9B-46EA-A3CD-AA1AFDCA5A09 (resized).JPG67746561172__20BD1E51-FC9B-46EA-A3CD-AA1AFDCA5A09 (resized).JPG67780774913__58A56100-55F6-4012-8D9D-4FFBA866360E (resized).JPG67780774913__58A56100-55F6-4012-8D9D-4FFBA866360E (resized).JPGIMG_8378 (resized).JPGIMG_8378 (resized).JPGIMG_8418 (resized).JPGIMG_8418 (resized).JPG

#845 1 year ago
    Quoted from John_I:

I've been looking for ways to power control a mod or amplifier to turn on when the power switch to the game is turned on. I was going to DIY a relay circuit myself that switches on a/c power when it detects the game's 12v power coming on. I found a device that can be had for about $30 that does it nice and clean and I don't have to build it myself!!

Connect the terminal on the side to 12v power from the game and the a/c outlets will turn on and off with the game power...[quoted image]

Yep this relay works great. I use it for mods on a few machines. Perfect for the mini amp to plug in to as well as spotlights or other mods you want to keep on all the time.

#846 1 year ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

I decided to MacGruber a sound upgrade for Rush using all the spare audio equipment I had in the attic.
    Pinwoofer output board ($30) is the only part I bought. That gives me 3 outputs to use for the system.
    Yamaha receiver
    External powered Polk subwoofer ($15 from Goodwill)
    8" mid-range woofer replaced the cabinet speaker
    JBL speakers magnetically mounted to the backbox

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nothing wrong with that!

#847 1 year ago

These were on sale when I bought them for $19 each. Easy swap with the stock cabinet speaker. Holes line up, just desolder the speaker connector and solder on to the new speaker.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NMJN4RW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00

67907996642__88029ABA-2FE0-484B-816B-C6995D961CB5 (resized).jpg67907996642__88029ABA-2FE0-484B-816B-C6995D961CB5 (resized).jpgIMG_8480 (resized).jpgIMG_8480 (resized).jpg

#848 1 year ago

OK finally I got this done last night, I am still experimenting with tuning but so far I am very pleased.

Equipment list:
    JVC KS-DR1004D 4 channel amp
    Hertz SV200L 8" sub
    Hertz Cento CX 130 5 1/4" drivers
    Pinsound CN5 output adaptor
    Mean Well 30A power supply
    Pinovators sub woofer output adaptor
    Klipsch R-120SW 12" external sub
    Speaker light kits.com 5 1/4" speaker adaptors
    Assorted hardware, sheet metal, etc.

This is a little over and above what I have seen used in this thread so far but I'm a bit of a sound nut and Rush is a dream theme for me so I decided to invest a few $ and really make this thing awesome, this is 100% reversible no holes were drilled in the machine and no wiring altered in anyway.

I removed 4 nuts in the back box holding wire brackets and installed stand off's. I then cut and mounted a sheet metal plate to these to mount my components. This system goes on and off with the machine, it does have 2 mild pops through the speakers during the boot process which I think is acceptable, it is less then I get out of my JJP Gun's and Roses.

I am happy to provide further details if anyone is interested in doing this or a version of. I think it both looks and sounds great!

IMG_6587 Large (resized).jpegIMG_6587 Large (resized).jpegIMG_6589 Large (resized).jpegIMG_6589 Large (resized).jpegIMG_6592 Large (resized).jpegIMG_6592 Large (resized).jpegIMG_6594 Large (resized).jpegIMG_6594 Large (resized).jpegIMG_6599 Large (resized).jpegIMG_6599 Large (resized).jpeg
    #849 1 year ago

Recently acquired a ST:TNG and I'm interested in going the Pinsound/upgraded speakers route for the orchestral score. Kickers + JBL + Dayton amp was amazing in my Godzilla, but I know WPC cabinets are a bit funky for how they lay out speakers.

Before going too deep into the research rabbithole, does someone have a simple recipe for upgrading WPC cabinets (adapters, recommended speakers, etc), assuming there is a pin sound in the mix so 2.1 is available?

#850 1 year ago
    Quoted from ray-dude:Recently acquired a ST:TNG and I'm interested in going the Pinsound/upgraded speakers route for the orchestral score. Kickers + JBL + Dayton amp was amazing in my Godzilla, but I know WPC cabinets are a bit funky for how they lay out speakers.
    Before going too deep into the research rabbithole, does someone have a simple recipe for upgrading WPC cabinets (adapters, recommended speakers, etc), assuming there is a pin sound in the mix so 2.1 is available?

Just get the PinSound speaker upgrade or the Flipper Fidelity PinSound-specific kit. They include decent speakers and all the connectors, and the couple of bucks you would save DIY-Ing will be invested in time creating all the connectors. The key upgrade here is being able to dial in the cabinet bass volume, which is specific to the PinSound board itself.

PinSound used to provide really high quality speakers but they have since gone to much cheaper ones; the FF or PinballPro speakers will do the same job.

There are 1,828 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 37.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/improving-sound-quality-the-diy-route/page/17?hl=rwilimo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.