Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,810 posts
  • 244 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 34 minutes ago by Mattyk
  • Topic is favorited by 375 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1701 (resized).jpeg
    504783-a257170fca2168983d2a6e1bbfec3f44 (resized).jpg
    received_6742998335800442 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    320-3350_HR_0.default (resized).jpg
    607DEEC4-36DB-45AA-8B61-018875778767 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    slika-1109725-631a4b9a8ef1e-velika-3077129719 (resized).jpg
    5580B012-A4F2-4FA4-ADF1-E8801A418BC1 (resized).jpeg
    8CDE1FF8-62E4-40F4-85EF-E93F22435908 (resized).jpeg
    C5D15E76-AC5F-4258-BC0F-0ECB29263D5B (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20240222-214420_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    February 2024 DIY Super Kit (resized).jpg
    20240218_102558 (resized).jpg
    20240218_101946 (resized).jpg
    20240218_101928 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 1,810 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 37.
    #701 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinballConspiracy:

Is the JBL Stage 810 an easy Drop-In like the Goldwood? Is the difference in sound/Bass noticeable? Worth the price increase? Thanks! Great Thread!!

I put a JBL Stage 810 in my Godzilla. The hole pattern is exact fit but the bolts are a 1/2" too short. I removed old bolts with hammer and installed longer #6-32 bolts. I secured bolts with nut to cabinet then placed speaker on bolts and secured with second set of nuts. Works great. Did not bother with external amp. Set speaker balance to 6dB (to sub-woofer) and equalizers for 250 Hz. You can feel the base nicely. 4"Kickers were exact fit but wish I went the 5.25" route and mid-bass is not great.

#702 1 year ago

I was going to make up the connectors to the backbox and cabinet speaker for my replacements and noticed they are square pins which means not .062 like I thought. So I tried a bunch of square pins and the 4.2mm fit the best.

Can anyone confirm if the 2 pin connector with ramp for backbox speakers are the 4.2 mm GPE sells? I have those pins but I dont have the housings and want to order some.

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/products.asp?cat=147

Thanks

#703 1 year ago
    Quoted from KJL:

I was going to make up the connectors to the backbox and cabinet speaker for my replacements and noticed they are square pins which means not .062 like I thought. So I tried a bunch of square pins and the 4.2mm fit the best.
    Can anyone confirm if the 2 pin connector with ramp for backbox speakers are the 4.2 mm GPE sells? I have those pins but I dont have the housings and want to order some.
    https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/products.asp?cat=147
    Thanks

I believe you have the right connector, molex mini fit jr.

There are two versions listed the 20 and the 25. However both of these appear to be the same. The only difference I can find in the Datasheets are a difference in material supplier between the two part numbers. Same material, specs, and performance, just their ware of designating the different supplier of the material.

#704 1 year ago
    Quoted from davegauth:

More POWER.......
    36v 9.7a... 350watts of available power...
    Starting down the, Holy S@@t levels of upgrades... [quoted image]

Welcome to the mad scientist level of fun : ).

#705 1 year ago
    Quoted from Kent_Diego:

I put a JBL Stage 810 in my Godzilla. The hole pattern is exact fit but the bolts are a 1/2" too short. I removed old bolts with hammer and installed longer #6-32 bolts. I secured bolts with nut to cabinet then placed speaker on bolts and secured with second set of nuts. Works great. Did not bother with external amp. Set speaker balance to 6dB (to sub-woofer) and equalizers for 250 Hz. You can feel the base nicely. 4"Kickers were exact fit but wish I went the 5.25" route and mid-bass is not great.

I've used sex bolts for this purpose. Basically it is an extended nut that allows using taller speaker with the stock cabinet bolts. Bolt Depot is a great place to buy hardware cheap by the way.

https://www.boltdepot.com/Sex_bolts_Combo_truss_head_Zinc_plated_steel_Coarse_(standard)_thread_3_16_barrel_(6-32_thread).aspx?Selected=14288

sex-bolt-combo-truss (resized).pngsex-bolt-combo-truss (resized).png
    #706 1 year ago
    Quoted from John_I:

I've used sex bolts for this purpose. Basically it is an extended nut that allows using taller speaker with the stock cabinet bolts. Bolt Depot is a great place to buy hardware cheap by the way.
    https://www.boltdepot.com/Sex_bolts_Combo_truss_head_Zinc_plated_steel_Coarse_(standard)_thread_3_16_barrel_(6-32_thread).aspx?Selected=14288[quoted image]

What length did you use?

#707 1 year ago
    Quoted from Puffdanny:

What length did you use?

That's what's she said.

#708 1 year ago
    Quoted from northerndude:

That's what's she said.

She's all aboot that girth

#709 1 year ago

3/4" should be fine.

Let's stop with the inuendo's please.

#710 1 year ago
    Quoted from davegauth:

3/4" should be fine.

Settle down.

#711 1 year ago
    Quoted from davegauth:

3/4" should be fine.

Yes. I initially bought 5/8 and they worked ok. Next time I had an order I got some 3/4 and they worked better.

#712 1 year ago
    Quoted from davegauth:

More POWER.......
    36v 9.7a... 350watts of available power...
    Starting down the, Holy S@@t levels of upgrades... [quoted image]

more is not better . how is it ok to say that 36 volts is an option here ? this will fry the amp and blow the capacitors .

36 (resized).JPG36 (resized).JPG
    #713 1 year ago
    Quoted from barroncaliber:

more is not better . how is it ok to say that 36 volts is an option here ? this will fry the amp and blow the capacitors .
    [quoted image]

Just have to wait and see what amp I'm using...

#714 1 year ago
    61CB7C45-2DC8-4366-A35A-78BFF627C2BF (resized).jpeg61CB7C45-2DC8-4366-A35A-78BFF627C2BF (resized).jpeg
    #715 1 year ago

I installed the upgraded 5.25" kickers with the 3d printed brackets, 8" jbl and a 10" Sony powered sub underneath. I'm about to go back and set the recommended eq settings and seeing if they're to my liking. Next up is a bluetooth eq and this is the one I'm thinking about getting.Any thoughts on this one?https://www.amazon.com/AIYIMA-Amplifier-Bluetooth-Subwoofer-Integrated/dp/B08MDSW8X7/ref=mp_s_a_1_8

Screenshot_20220508-225900_Samsung Internet (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220508-225900_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    #716 1 year ago
    Quoted from Puffdanny:

I installed the upgraded 5.25" kickers with the 3d printed brackets, 8" jbl and a 10" Sony powered sub underneath. I'm about to go back and set the recommended eq settings and seeing if they're to my liking. Next up is a bluetooth eq and this is the one I'm thinking about getting.Any thoughts on this one?amazon.com link »
    [quoted image]

Have not tried it yet to compare to the rest of the mini-amps available. If you want to divert it for a week for testing let me know in PM.

There are a few things off the top of my head to consider.

- Being a push and hold to turn on, it may not be capable of 1 button turn on.

- The power supply included looks to be 19v 4.74amps. Though this is adequate - you would be much better served with a 24v supply. It has to do with the way amplification rails work

- The remote is an IR remote. If you plan on putting the amp inside your cabinet, odds may be high you will not be able to use the remote as it probably will not penetrate the cabinet.

Hope this helps.

#717 1 year ago

Installed Kickers and Dayton Audio amp in my Godzilla LE last night and it is a HUGE upgrade. Kickers aren’t audiophile grade, but the combo of the speaker and the amp is a huge step up from stock. I continue to be amazed at the cut corners on these modern Sterns, but this is a very easy and relatively inexpensive way to kick things up

Still waiting on my JBL cabinet speaker. Once that is in, I’ll figure out if I still need my external sub, or if a beefier supply or amp can get the package to where it I’d like it to be.

#718 1 year ago
    Quoted from davegauth:

Have not tried it yet to compare to the rest of the mini-amps available. If you want to divert it for a week for testing let me know in PM.
    There are a few things off the top of my head to consider.
    - Being a push and hold to turn on, it may not be capable of 1 button turn on.
    - The power supply included looks to be 19v 4.74amps. Though this is adequate - you would be much better served with a 24v supply. It has to do with the way amplification rails work
    - The remote is an IR remote. If you plan on putting the amp inside your cabinet, odds may be high you will not be able to use the remote as it probably will not penetrate the cabinet.
    Hope this helps.

I'll send a pm and we'll discuss a few things but 1 thing I encountered that would be best in the open is the backbox speakers. I do not care for the sound out of the backbox on 4ohm. I found 4 ohm to be flat and muffled sounding and not crisp and clear like on 8 ohm. I set the eq to your suggestion except with the back box on 8 ohm I went with -2 for the gain.

#719 1 year ago

Great post but I'm ready to pull the trigger on my Rush LE, I can't even play it since the audio is so bad. I find myself playing the spooky pins much more since their audio is 100x better. They have the following...

https://www.parts-express.com/GRS-10SW-4-10-Poly-Cone-Subwoofer-4-Ohm-292-482?gclid=CjwKCAjw9-KTBhBcEiwAr19ig6KvbB_IS84VPCcKdUZpQewS4f7-1GhdOznhKGnCNVqvuJadY9k-choCikYQAvD_BwE

https://www.parts-express.com/Lepai-LP-168HA-2.1-2x40W-Amplifier-1x68W-Sub-Output-310-308

I don't want to deal with an external sub... so gun to your head... which amp and woofer for my Rush LE? I'm going to leave the backbox speakers for now since I think bass is what I'm lacking the most.

#720 1 year ago

Couple of these guys arrived today. Getting closer to having the “hook ups” ready!!

Thx for the suggestion!

80181171-5FF5-4AE2-9E64-195AFC2D1537 (resized).jpeg80181171-5FF5-4AE2-9E64-195AFC2D1537 (resized).jpeg
    #721 1 year ago

So I test wired my Rush LE in to my spooky pin, where they at least they give you a much better sound system. Major improvement in sound but my question is. I had to max out the spooky amp to get decent volume when I have the RCA cables coming from the stern CN5 connector into the spooky amp. Yes, volume on stern is turned all of the way up also. If I tried this using spooky line voltage with the amp volume maxed out like i have it for stern, it would blow me out of the house.

Why are the stern line voltages so much less than spooky’s? Spooky is using a Lepai 2x40w + 1x68 amp. I might need a bigger amp for the stern?? Can it be my rigged RCA cables, do I need better cables?

Edit, I'm not using the sub output on CN5, I'm guessing this is the reason. The stern board is filtering out the bass from L+R, so that's why 2.1 amps are being suggested!!

AA05958B-1976-46CB-8FB0-88AA82AD46DE (resized).jpegAA05958B-1976-46CB-8FB0-88AA82AD46DE (resized).jpeg

#722 1 year ago
    Quoted from sofgwhat:

So I test wired my Rush LE in to my spooky pin, where they at least they give you a much better sound system. Major improvement in sound but my question is. I had to max out the spooky amp to get decent volume when I have the RCA cables coming from the stern CN5 connector into the spooky amp. Yes, volume on stern is turned all of the way up also. If I tried this using spooky line voltage with the amp volume maxed out like i have it for stern, it would blow me out of the house.
    Why are the stern line voltages so much less than spooky’s? Spooky is using a Lepai 2x40w + 1x68 amp. I might need a bigger amp for the stern?? Can it be my rigged RCA cables, do I need better cables?
    Edit, I'm not using the sub output on CN5, I'm guessing this is the reason. The stern board is filtering out the bass from L+R, so that's why 2.1 amps are being suggested!!
    [quoted image]

There is no high-pass on the cn5. You are getting full L+R. The sub output on CN5 is also a full range output just mono.

Increasing your line output signal is what you want to do for your test. A few things you can do, set the backbox speakers to 8ohm. Use the 10band eq and increase everything, atleast to your liking. Make sure the backbox to cabinet fade is set to zero. Increase your machine volume to about 35.

All of these will ensure you are getting a higher signal out of the CN5 for amplification.

#723 1 year ago

Changing the backbox to 4 ohm was the ticket. Huge increase in volume!! Thanks.

#724 1 year ago

Forgive the "barely keeping up" question, but does someone have a link to the current recommendation for sound settings for Kicker CSC5s + JBL Sub + Dayton Audio amp in a Stern? (preferably Godzilla LE) Interested in cross over over for the DA amp, as well as equalization settings, etc. for the pin.

I remember this being discussed, but alas, I didn't keep a link to the latest/greatest.

#725 1 year ago

Oh yeah - more power!

Coming soon....

20220511_194804 (resized).jpg20220511_194804 (resized).jpg
    #726 1 year ago
    Quoted from ray-dude:

Forgive the "barely keeping up" question, but does someone have a link to the current recommendation for sound settings for Kicker CSC5s + JBL Sub + Dayton Audio amp in a Stern? (preferably Godzilla LE) Interested in cross over over for the DA amp, as well as equalization settings, etc. for the pin.
    I remember this being discussed, but alas, I didn't keep a link to the latest/greatest.

I second this but for Jurassic Park and Iron Maiden?
    Anybody tried either?

#727 1 year ago

I'm presuming settings will be basically the same for all these modern Sterns (sound balance and crossovers/eq is driven by cabinet dimensions and speakers, which should all be the same)

#728 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

I second this but for Jurassic Park and Iron Maiden?
    Anybody tried either?

Not the exact parts, but have CSC5s+goldwood 8"+fosi amp on IMDN. AMAZING upgrade, but just need to dial some of the audio settings a bit more as some of the bass is a smidge distorted. Its not much, but need to find time to just get it in just right.

#729 1 year ago

Installed the JBL 810 in my Godzilla last night, swapped out the Goldwood. Sound changed quite a bit, actually sounds lower. Will need to go back in and re-adjust the 10 band EQ as I had it set just right for the Goldwood, will see if I can get it dialed in for the JBL.

#730 1 year ago
    Quoted from hawknole:

Installed the JBL 810 in my Godzilla last night, swapped out the Goldwood. Sound changed quite a bit, actually sounds lower. Will need to go back in and re-adjust the 10 band EQ as I had it set just right for the Goldwood, will see if I can get it dialed in for the JBL.

Not sure if it helps but there’s some EQ settings buried in this thread that worked for the OP. I took a screenshot as a start for when I actually get my GZ.

864F50A8-8616-449F-AA05-6AA1A703E6D1 (resized).png864F50A8-8616-449F-AA05-6AA1A703E6D1 (resized).png
    #732 1 year ago

Anyone have a good source for to pick up a handful of Z connectors like this so can make my own cables leaving my amp, and have the setup completely reversible and ready to plug speaker right back into main board.

Thanks in advance

B0D92293-2CC2-4520-BD91-25EE8C8B836B (resized).jpegB0D92293-2CC2-4520-BD91-25EE8C8B836B (resized).jpegD150A5A0-A892-4325-A5E6-38481D7ED83F (resized).jpegD150A5A0-A892-4325-A5E6-38481D7ED83F (resized).jpeg
    #733 1 year ago
    Quoted from northerndude:

Anyone have a good source for to pick up a handful of Z connectors like this so can make my own cables leaving my amp, and have the setup completely reversible and ready to plug speaker right back into main board.
    Thanks in advance
    [quoted image][quoted image]

let me know if you find them. I am sure digikey must have them.

#734 1 year ago

I just got some 6 pin versions at Marcos, they also have the 4 pin.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/5791-12235-04

#735 1 year ago

mistake

#736 1 year ago
    Quoted from davegauth:

This thread is focused on improving the sound quality of Stern Spike 2 machines. SPECIFICALLY using DIY alternatives, and not using complete packages like Flipper Fidelity and Pinwoofer are offering. This is not a knock on any of them, as they make fine plug and play solutions - But this a DIY adventure thread.
    The goal is to install and test many of the various options available to the DIYer and document the journey as I go. I'll test different speakers for sound quality and fitment. I'll start with simple bolt on improvements and move up the scale to full ham. We should be able to put together many options with pro's and con's and be able show some of the best bang for the buck levels of improvements.
    Disclaimer - I do not have any products to sell nor am I affiliated with any product. Everything will be done out of pocket. Which also means I won't be able to test absolutely everything available. If for some reason that changes, or a product is donated etc. I will ensure it is fully disclosed.
    I'm just a guy who wants better sounding pins.
    Note - I started showing these mods in the GZ thread. Now moving it to a standalone thread as it will benefit more people seeking out this specific subject.

Gday all,

I didn't want to ask this question on this tread as its not related to the spike 2 system however the information on this tread is AMAZING and now I only want advice or direction from you guys. Wanting to mod the sound system/speakers on my Lord of the Rings. I have PM davegauth or if anyone can PM me some info or a link I'd appreciate it.

While I'm here I gotta say this tread on the spike 2 sound system DIY upgrades has been very cool reading this tread its very informative and interesting so keep up the awesome road testing of speakers, amps, mods etc. Hopefully one day I get a spike system 2.

Hope I haven't crossed the line with an of topic question.

#737 1 year ago

Can someone post both EQ setting for cab and backbox?

#738 1 year ago

These are screenshots I took of EQ settings posted earlier in the thread. Still waiting to put them to use myself, so here ya go

DCD979DA-FCFF-451D-AD45-B321231F5C8D (resized).pngDCD979DA-FCFF-451D-AD45-B321231F5C8D (resized).pngEE9B7E6A-C93F-4181-B3C7-FFD8917AE026 (resized).pngEE9B7E6A-C93F-4181-B3C7-FFD8917AE026 (resized).png
    #739 1 year ago

Life has been getting in the way, posting has and will be a bit slow for me.

I've been wanting to use the Kicker CompC subwoofers in my pins. I used one a while back in my Franken Sub, and it sounds great, and is still serving duty backing up the sound bar on my main TV.

But like many subwoofer they are not designed to be mounted directly against their face. The outer edge of the basket/speaker does not have a flat mounting area, instead it has a decorative trim ring. My initial thought was to mount it from underneath the pin. This would look awesome and really show off the upgrade - but it would also present challenges down the line - like sliding it into a truck to transport.

Easy enough, adapter time.

Remove the beauty ring by working around the edge with a small screwdriver. It's just held on with a little glue. Some patience and it'll come right off.

Design new ring, print it, test it - design ring again, print again, test again - etc....

And voila, new adapter ring and the speaker can now be face mounted with plenty of room for cone excursion.

Now a trip to the hardware store for some longer screws and ready to be installed.

20220524_085639 (resized).jpg20220524_085639 (resized).jpg20220524_085700 (resized).jpg20220524_085700 (resized).jpg20220524_085752 (resized).jpg20220524_085752 (resized).jpg20220524_085904 (resized).jpg20220524_085904 (resized).jpg

#740 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pugster:

These are screenshots I took of EQ settings posted earlier in the thread. Still waiting to put them to use myself, so here ya go
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Thank you.. thank you.. thank you for reposting this! This changed everything. Night and day difference with the new backbox installed and an external sub add on. I was using filter off versus shelf default and the EQ tweaks are perfect. Went arounf the gameroom and tweaked all with these settings. I'm hearing stuff in DP, SW< and JP that I never heard before and the soundstage is SO much richer.

#741 1 year ago
    Quoted from fooflighter:

Thank you.. thank you.. thank you for reposting this! This changed everything. Night and day difference with the new backbox installed and an external sub add on. I was using filter off versus shelf default and the EQ tweaks are perfect. Went arounf the gameroom and tweaked all with these settings. I'm hearing stuff in DP, SW< and JP that I never heard before and the soundstage is SO much richer.

Hey thanks for posting the results! Now I know exactly what to set my stuff to once GZ has been spotted in the games room

#742 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pugster:

Hey thanks for posting the results! Now I know exactly what to set my stuff to once GZ has been spotted in the games room

No problem! The +5 fade also is great however I use 8 ohm for both backbox and cab settings, my ears just like the sound better

#743 1 year ago
    Quoted from fooflighter:

No problem! The +5 fade also is great however I use 8 ohm for both backbox and cab settings, my ears just like the sound better

I totally agree with 8 ohm on both speakers just sounds way crisper to me. I set the fade at -2 for the 8 ohm settings.

#744 1 year ago

#745 1 year ago

My goal is just to upgrade the cab speaker with something like the JBL stage 8 with no amp using the current wiring. Would the spike eq work vs putting in an L-pad to balance the backbox/cab speakers - if you can't tell I haven't done this since the SAM system.

#746 1 year ago
    Quoted from WeirPinball:

My goal is just to upgrade the cab speaker with something like the JBL stage 8 with no amp using the current wiring. Would the spike eq work vs putting in an L-pad to balance the backbox/cab speakers - if you can't tell I haven't done this since the SAM system.

You won't need an L-pad, you can use the Spike EQ since it already has separate output for cab and backbox speakers.

#747 1 year ago
    Quoted from awesome1:

You won't need an L-pad, you can use the Spike EQ since it already has separate output for cab and backbox speakers.

Appreciate it. Now to get some replacement speakers

#748 1 year ago

Any progress?

I like the Dayton amp though I do not like having to put it to aux 1 every time I turn it on.

#749 1 year ago
    Quoted from hank527:

Any progress?
    I like the Dayton amp though I do not like having to put it to aux 1 every time I turn it on.

It's just the way it handles a bluetooth connected device. It will only default back to Bluetooth, when powered on, if the device you were streaming from is still connected to the dayton.

Go into your phones bluetooth(or whatever device) and disconnect from the Dayton. Now set you input to you pin source and play, your dayton will now default to that line input each time it is powered on or off.

#750 1 year ago

I have been following this post with great interest. I currently own several spike 2 machines with 5 1/4" Sony speakers. After some experimenting today I realized that disconnecting the cabinet speaker to see what the actual back box sounds like is pretty bad. I understand that they are underpowered but playing with the Stern EQ seems to make almost no difference in the low end sound. So my question is will an amp bring the low end to life? Does Stern have a crossover set that we cannot access? Or is the free air design of the back box?

I do some car audio and can generally get a set of 5 1/4" speakers to have decent sound, in my mind I'd like to run quality 5 1/4's amped with an external sub and do away with the cabinet speaker all together. Has anyone done this with good results or am I just going the wrong direction? There are tons more choices for 2 channel Class D amps than 2.1 or 3 channel. My other thought is that we would have much better separation without the cabinet playing midrange.

There are 1,810 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 37.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/improving-sound-quality-the-diy-route/page/15 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.