(Topic ID: 307852)

Improving Sound Quality - The DIY Route

By davegauth

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3311120240422_225954 (resized).jpg
    222220240422_214549 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1701 (resized).jpeg
    504783-a257170fca2168983d2a6e1bbfec3f44 (resized).jpg
    received_6742998335800442 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    320-3350_HR_0.default (resized).jpg
    607DEEC4-36DB-45AA-8B61-018875778767 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    slika-1109725-631a4b9a8ef1e-velika-3077129719 (resized).jpg
    5580B012-A4F2-4FA4-ADF1-E8801A418BC1 (resized).jpeg
    8CDE1FF8-62E4-40F4-85EF-E93F22435908 (resized).jpeg
    C5D15E76-AC5F-4258-BC0F-0ECB29263D5B (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20240222-214420_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    February 2024 DIY Super Kit (resized).jpg
    20240218_102558 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 1,828 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 37.
    #601 2 years ago
    Quoted from Av8:

Sexy. That is alot of speakers! Do you make your own 3D printed backbos speaker adapters? Those orange ones?
    I want to add new back speakers and a flaming led speaker mod GZ Pro. I'm thinking cheap pyles for now.

The orange adapter are something I made to accommodate the JBL and Infinity Plus 1 speaker designs. It also works with all the other speakers to.

An additional bennifit was it allows for baffles to be glued onto them to help isolate each speaker. There are some. pictures I posted 4-5 pages back.

#602 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rockbiter:Love this thread, thanks for creating it! I've been using the same Kicker 4's as the op on my Stern Pros with good success when paired with a decent 8" subwoofer. The price of these speakers has gone up considerably in the last 24 months (like everything else), so I switched to Infinity Reference 4032's and the Boss CXX8, purchased "like new" from Amazon Warehouse for $60 total, which was about $40 less than the Kicker combo, currently. Installed on Godzilla and sitting next to a Kicker setup on Jurassic Park, I find both setups to be on par (similar experience to the ops in post #162 above), and a huge improvement over stock. Very important to dial in proper ohm settings for backbox and subwoofer for both of these titles. You'll hear crackle or harsh minds and highs if set improperly. External subwoofer is still the biggest single improvement that can be made, in my opinion, backbox and cabinet sub second.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Just put the Kicker CS 4in in my Godzilla, and now am looking to purchase a replacement 8inch speaker for the cabinet.

Currently looking at this Boss CXX8 and the Kicker 44CWCd8. Outside of Low Frequency, the Boss seems almost a better spec than the Kicker? This is on top of being alot cheaper too. Qts, which has been referenced in this thread, s much higher on the Boss as well (<.7 vs .54 on the Kicker)

Any opinions on this, or other things I should pay attention to with these two?

#603 2 years ago

Installation of the pre-amped equalizers is coming along. Got the first one hooked up, tested, and works great.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

The first one pictured is for the cabinet speaker and PSW10 subwoofer. The RCA cables feed signal from the sub to the amp. So far, wow. On volume setting 5, it is pretty full. Volume 8 is loud, and volume 12 is a full on blast. May have to swap the settings back to 4 ohms in the diagnostics and bring the max volume range down some. I'm interested to see how it sounds with both equalizer hooked up.

Working on the second one now...

#604 2 years ago

Tagging for future reference.
    After reading 4 pages I confess, I dont understand any of the audiophile lingo.

Been wanting to uograde sound, thanks for doing all this work.

#605 2 years ago
    Quoted from davegauth:

So let's get back on track.....
    Amplifiers - what specs, features, power levels etc. would you like to see on your amplifier?
    I want to know your thoughts as to what you would be looking for in an amplifier you would want for your pin or pins etc. Whether or not you know much about them, or don't have a clue. It can be something simple or technical.
    Reason why I'm asking is - Thus far I have 4 amplifiers tested. All of them have big differences between them. Before I go and purchase more for testing - I'd like to have a better idea of what everyone is looking for and help focus efforts and resources.

Calling EJS for power supply ideas

#606 2 years ago
    Quoted from davegauth:

So let's get back on track.....
    Amplifiers - what specs, features, power levels etc. would you like to see on your amplifier?
    I want to know your thoughts as to what you would be looking for in an amplifier you would want for your pin or pins etc. Whether or not you know much about them, or don't have a clue. It can be something simple or technical.
    Reason why I'm asking is - Thus far I have 4 amplifiers tested. All of them have big differences between them. Before I go and purchase more for testing - I'd like to have a better idea of what everyone is looking for and help focus efforts and resources.

Something easy to use without a lot of settings to fiddle with.

#607 2 years ago

Here's my answer:

My ideal amplifier for a pinball machine would have a 3.5mm aux input, with an RCA line level sub output. It would be 200w on the cabinet woofer and 75w on the head. It would have an adjustable LPF for the cab and independent HPF for the head speakers. It would have a 12v trigger for power. I think I'd be ok without tone controls/EQ.

#608 2 years ago

Well, I am all done with the install. Took a solid weekend (took my time, had meals, watched a movie here and there), but it got done! I have the equalizer on the left running the backbox speakers, and the equalizer on the right running the cabinet speaker and RCA input/outputs for the Polk PSW-10 subwoofer.

I removed the coin door anchoring bracket and installed the equalizers side by side with the mounts that came with each unit. I also cleaned up all the excess wiring. I'll be using blue painter's tape to create taped labels for each wire so I can clearly discern which wire is responsible for what input/output/speaker.

Only boo-boo I made was installing the external power supply too close to the installation location of the equalizers. To disconnect the ground wires from the power supply, I have to move the right equalizer out of the way first. Whoops. Other than that, pretty simple but methodical install!

Happy to answer any questions. After the first book I wrote earlier in this thread, I'll hold off explaining everything this time.

Video link is below. It was taken before I "tidied up" the finished install, so please don't infer the video showcases the completed install state - I cleaned up the wiring and made it much cleaner upon completion.

#609 2 years ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

Great thread, I’ve read almost all of it trying to develop a plan to upgrade sound on a Godzilla premium, but on a couple of points I am still not clear if there’s a best practice or if it’s more like voodoo and try different things til it sounds good to you. I am looking at using the 5.25 Kickers in the backbox with an external Polk 10 sub, and using the Pinnovators external sub adapter (1) what to do with the stock cabinet speaker in this setup: disable it or try to incorporate it into the mix (or replace it with yet another upgrade?). (2) what to do with Spike ohm settings for new Kickers vs stock cabinet speaker?

Disable it or replace it with Skar 8" MIDRANGE speaker for about $25. I have kicker 4", skar midrange 8", and polk with the port stuffed. TMNT.
    with the 5.25 kickers i'd skip the 8" skar and building the cabinet and turn it off. it's a terrible position for a speaker. not as bad for a sub, but i'd just forget it. (turn on and off oem 8" speaker after the 5.25 kickers and sub,then you decide if it isn't just clutter sound)
    opinions.
    1. people like the polk. i am not impressed, it's loose and muddy, but plugging it helps. to do over again i'd get a sealed cabinet, likely an 8"
    2. Everyone looks at the weak link as the speakers first, then the amp second. i disagree. the oem speakers are dirt, anything is better, but the next weak link is not the amp, it's the cabinet. Build a 5 x 17.75 x 12 cabinet if you are keeping the 8". do your best to enclose the backbox speakers, use foam board.
    3. I am experimenting StarWars with kicker 4" backbox and matching 8" sub in the cabinet. this time I will build a wooden speaker box in the cabinet and foam in back box. These speakers are actually meant to work together, but that's a project downthe road

#610 2 years ago

I installed the Goldwood LE cabinet speaker in my GZ Premium and the Kenwood’s with the SpaceCoast adapter in the backbox and then adjusted both speaker sets to the 4 ohm. While this is an improvement from the crap stock paper speakers in range, Godzilla needs more bass, even with tweaking the EQ. So my next step is to test my Infinity powered sub with a connection off the CN5. Looks like TinyBlackDog has provided the mouser links needed so ordering up.

I had a set of FF speakers that I put in my Rush. 4” 8 ohms in the backbox and an 8” 4 ohm in the cabinet. Again an improvement from the stock speakers. While Rush does not need the bass in my opinion like Godzilla does I will do CN5 plugs for both machines as I have a Polk powered sub available for testing.

CFC7EB4A-1CE5-4EF9-8130-E8408F0E0B57 (resized).jpegCFC7EB4A-1CE5-4EF9-8130-E8408F0E0B57 (resized).jpeg
    #611 2 years ago

DIY - Side Round

Amplifier Buzzzz/Hummmmm.... Dealing with line noise..

So you plug your new amplifier in and it's awesome. Until you hear an annoying humm or buzzzz - the line noise sound that is constantly there, or tied directly to increasing the volume.

I've had a couple people reach out to me about line noise, and I've also ran into it with testing amps myself. Generally it hasn't been a big problem, and most of the time it's not going to be an issue. But if you do run into this, then the good news is it can be an easy fix. As I've mentioned before I'm not an engineer, and I don't often stay at Holiday Inn's sooooooo...... Here is some research and testing I was able to do to come up with some layman's results.

First off - this humm can be associated with a few things.

1 - The amplifier itself, and the circuitry it uses to process and amplify the input signal.
    2 - The power supply, some of the cheaper power supplies can create issues. Different power supplies plugged into different amps tend to produce differing results. (probably related to ground loops listed next)
    3 - Ground loops and power line noise. This is basically noise that finds it's way into your audio signal going from the pin to the amp. This can happen for a ton of reasons. Take a look at the first 8 minutes or so of this video as it does a good job of explaining this:

Let's dig a little deeper...

#1 - Amps have a certain amount of noise to them. It's just a fact of life. Since we are not working with $5,000+ audiophile amps(and why should we be) we will need to expect some level of noise. But there is some great news here, most of these mini amps are absolutely just fine and the noise is no where near a problem. It's the other two problems that are usually the issue and not the amp itself. In order to quickly test your amp, plug your amp into your speakers and power supply - turn the amp on and cycle the volume up and down(be sure to turn all the dials up). Do this without any type of cable or audio signal plugged into the amp, only the speaker cables, and power power cable. That is generally going to be your noise floor you are working with, and it's probably more than acceptable. (odds of this being your noise problem - low)

#2 - Power supplies, yuk.... This has become a bane of mine. I have a bunch of amps laying around, and also a bunch of power supplies that came with them. I don't always plug the same power supply into the same amp when I'm sitting on the floor switching between amps. One amp maybe sounding great, then I switch it up, and plug that amp back in later and its full of noise. WTH - turns out, each amp reacts differently to different power supplies. Soo a good learning moment. If you do the test above, and you get some noise - then try switching the power supply, if you have another one available. If you have to purchase your own power supply to begin with - then consider spending just a little more on a quality power supply. (odds of this being your noise problem - low/mid)

#3 - Ground loop noise. First watch that video I posted for a better overview of ground loop issues, and noise that can get into your audio signal. Do the test I mentioned in #1 above. Sound good to you? Now plug your audio cable into the amplifier. Was the amp quiet and now you hear the noise? (odds of this being your noise problem - high)

With #3 being the most likely cause of your noise problem - what can you do? First, try plugging your amplifier into the same outlet as your pin(Even the service outlet inside the pin could help). Second, try a different power supply if you have one available. Third, go to amazon and purchase a $10 3.5mm ground loop noise eliminator: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XQYN77L and plug it inline with your audio signal. More often than not, the ground loop eliminator will do the job, there have been times when it has made the noise worse depending on the power supply.

When I get to the amplifier writeups and comparisons - I will be sure to mention it's line noise level, and any specific fixes that worked.

With these steps, and some mixing and matching trials, you should be able to greatly reduce any levels of line humm/noise you may be running into.

Hope this helps.

***Note: there are some amplifiers that use sound circuitry to temporarily "Mute" an audio input signal when it doesn't detect an input. That means it is like an on/off switch for line noise that maybe present. This is both good and bad. You won't hear the line noise just buzzing away when there is no sound to be played as it will cut itself off. On the other hand, that noise is still there when the sound is being played and it is turned on. This can be annoying during moments when there are passages in the audio when you can clearly hear the noise just buzzing in the background. Think of it this way - Listening to Offspring and you will probably not hear the buzzing because the sound is non-stop. Listen to Phil Collins In the Air Tonight - and you will be hearing all that buzzing in the background.

#612 2 years ago
    Quoted from hawknole:

I installed the Goldwood LE cabinet speaker in my GZ Premium and the Kenwood’s with the SpaceCoast adapter in the backbox and then adjusted both speaker sets to the 4 ohm. While this is an improvement from the crap stock paper speakers in range, Godzilla needs more bass, even with tweaking the EQ. So my next step is to test my Infinity powered sub with a connection off the CN5. Looks like TinyBlackDog has provided the mouser links needed so ordering up.
    I had a set of FF speakers that I put in my Rush. 4” 8 ohms in the backbox and an 8” 4 ohm in the cabinet. Again an improvement from the stock speakers. While Rush does not need the bass in my opinion like Godzilla does I will do CN5 plugs for both machines as I have a Polk powered sub available for testing.

Set the cabinet speaker to 8 Ohm in the settings. It will increase the gain going to the cabinet speaker and give you more bass. (you will not blow anything up)

#613 2 years ago
    Quoted from davegauth:

DIY - Side Round
    So you plug your new amplifier in and it's awesome. Until you hear an annoying humm or buzzzz - the line noise sound that is constantly there, or tied directly to increasing the volume.
    I've had a couple people reach out to me about line noise, and I've also ran into it with testing amps myself. Generally it hasn't been a big problem, and most of the time it's not going to be an issue. But if you do run into this, then the good news is it can be an easy fix. As I've mentioned before I'm not an engineer, and I don't often stay at Holiday Inn's sooooooo...... Here is some research and testing I was able to do to come up with some layman's results.
    1 - The amplifier itself, and the circuitry it uses to process and amplify the input signal.
    2 - The power supply, some of the cheaper power supplies can create issues. Different power supplies plugged into different amps tend to produce differing results. (probably related to ground loops listed next)
    3 - Ground loops and power line noise. This is basically noise that finds it's way into your audio signal going from the pin to the amp. This can happen for a ton of reasons. Take a look at the first 8 minutes or so of this video as it does a good job of explaining this:
    #1 - Amps have a certain amount of noise to them. It's just a fact of life. Since we are not working with $5,000+ audiophile amps(and why should we be) we will need to expect some level of noise. But there is some great news here, most of these mini amps are absolutely just fine and the noise is no where near a problem. It's the other two problems that are usually the issue and not the amp itself. In order to quickly test your amp, plug your amp into your speakers and power supply - turn the amp on and cycle the volume up and down(be sure to turn all the dials up). Do this without any type of cable or audio signal plugged into the amp, only the speaker cables, and power power cable. That is generally going to be your noise floor you are working with, and it's probably more than acceptable. (odds of this being your noise problem - low)
    #2 - Power supplies, yuk.... This has become a bane of mine. I have a bunch of amps laying around, and also a bunch of power supplies that came with them. I don't always plug the same power supply into the same amp when I'm sitting on the floor switching between amps. One amp maybe sounding great, then I switch it up, and plug that amp back in later and its full of noise. WTH - turns out, each amp reacts differently to different power supplies. Soo a good learning moment. If you do the test above, and you get some noise - then try switching the power supply, if you have another one available. If you have to purchase your own power supply to begin with - then consider spending just a little more on a quality power supply. (odds of this being your noise problem - low/mid)
    #3 - Ground loop noise. First watch that video I posted for a better overview of ground loop issues, and noise that can get into your audio signal. Do the test I mentioned in #1 above. Sound good to you? Now plug your audio cable into the amplifier. Was the amp quiet and now you hear the noise? (odds of this being your noise problem - high)
    With #3 being the most likely cause of your noise problem - what can you do? First, try plugging your amplifier into the same outlet as your pin(Even the service outlet inside the pin could help). Second, try a different power supply if you have one available. Third, go to amazon and purchase a $10 3.5mm ground loop noise eliminator: amazon.com link » and plug it inline with your audio signal. More often than not, the ground loop eliminator will do the job, there have been times when it has made the noise worse depending on the power supply.
    When I get to the amplifier writeups and comparisons - I will be sure to mention it's line noise level, and any specific fixes that worked.
    With these steps, and some mixing and matching trials, you should be able to greatly reduce any levels of line humm/noise you may be running into.
    Hope this helps.
    ***Note: there are some amplifiers that use sound circuitry to temporarily "Mute" an audio input signal when it doesn't detect an input. That means it is like an on/off switch for line noise that maybe present. This is both good and bad. You won't hear the line noise just buzzing away when there is no sound to be played as it will cut itself off. On the other hand, that noise is still there when the sound is being played and it is turned on. This can be annoying during moments when there are passages in the audio when you can clearly hear the noise just buzzing in the background. Think of it this way - Listening to Offspring and you will probably not hear the buzzing because the sound is non-stop. Listen to Phil Collins In the Air Tonight - and you will be hearing all that buzzing in the background.

Those ground loop isolators do a good job on JJP machines too in my experience. Stock, hobbit and dialed in had pretty annoying him from the speakers. Those isolators cleaned it right up.

#614 2 years ago
    Quoted from Good-Times:

Here's my answer:
    My ideal amplifier for a pinball machine would have a 3.5mm aux input, with an RCA line level sub output. It would be 200w on the cabinet woofer and 75w on the head. It would have an adjustable LPF for the cab and independent HPF for the head speakers. It would have a 12v trigger for power. I think I'd be ok without tone controls/EQ.

Pretty close is :
    https://www.parts-express.com/TPS3116D2-Class-D-2.1-Bluetooth-5.0-Amplifier-Board-2-x-50W-100W-with-Filter-and-Volume-Co-320-635

#615 2 years ago

I have been following the first and last pages of this thread, I am wondering if there has been a resolution as to what is the best combo to make it all work?

I like the idea of the AMP in the game, however, I really dislike the daughter board idea presented by the company mentioned before and this is why I did not buy their product. It just is terrible design and prone to issues, not to mention not good for my OCD.

Looking forward to adding some nice sound to my Spike II pins.

#616 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

I have been following the first and last pages of this thread, I am wondering if there has been a resolution as to what is the best combo to make it all work?
    I like the idea of the AMP in the game, however, I really dislike the daughter board idea presented by the company mentioned before and this is why I did not buy their product. It just is terrible design and prone to issues, not to mention not good for my OCD.

Everyone's level of willingness to modify their game here is different - from plug and plays to setups like mine and others in this thread that splice wires, cut factory connectors out, and get more nitty-gritty/enjoy the sense of mad scientist/tinkering/making their own sound system.

That being said, if you want to make your game boom and have selective channel control, add pre-amped equalizers like I did (along with upgrading to 5.25" speakers, a good mid-range cabinet speaker, and an external subwoofer).

While the Boss equalizers metallik and I used are no longer available, SoundExtreme has a unit nearly identical and available:

https://www.amazon.com/SOUNDXTREME-Passive-Graphic-Equalizer-ST-EQ-180/dp/B00NQJ8N4M/

Super simple to do in terms of introducing to the audio circuit:

1. Cut wires off left speaker
    2. Take + back box speaker wire and tie to yellow wire of equalizer; take - wire and tie to yellow w/black stripe wire of equalizer
    3. Repeat step 2 for right back box speaker to orange and orange w/black stripe wire
    4. Get some car audio speaker wire and locate the "speaker output" wires on the equalizer
    5. Connect green wire to + terminal of left back box speaker. Connect green w/black stripe wire and connect to - terminal of left back box speaker
    6. Repeat step 5 for right back speaker and use violet and violet w/black stripe wires

The equalizer has now been added to the audio circuit. All you need now is to determine how you want to supply power to it (see my post earlier in this thread on this). Repeat steps above for the cabinet speaker being hooked up to its own equalizer.

The longest and hardest part is picking where to install, what wire gauge to use, how much wire you'll need, all the appropriate crimp connections, tools to complete the job, and most importantly - the fortitude to complete the job.

It's worth it though. My girl told me the game sounds like it has a home theater system installed in it now. The ability to tune 7 different channels for the back box speakers and another 7 separate channels (remember, the back box speakers get their own equalizer as well as the cabinet speaker. You can really dial in a full and wide spectrum of sounds going this route.

Completed on my JP, and as long as the speaker setup is the same in Spike I (speakers wired in parallel [meaning EACH speaker gets their own dedicated + and - wires]), any Spike I and II game can perform this upgrade (I can't imagine what Iron Maiden would sounds like!!!).

#617 2 years ago

Here are some pics of what is inside the Dayton 2.1 BT2 Amplifier and a couple first impressions.

Note - this has Bluetooth and it comes with a very good 24V power supply.

Under the hood it appears to be the standard Texas instrument amp chips (TPA3116) and op amps. It has 1 small 1800 uF capacitor which you would think is a bit small - however, this turns out to be one of the better sounding and higher actual output mini amps thus far.

Clamp testing the wattage shows it is consistently putting out about 50 watts on the 4ohm load Sub Channel. It's right at 50 watts that the protection circuitry kicks in and the sub channel will shut off for a second or two telling you it's time to bring the volume down a notch. (I am really wondering if replacing the capacitor with something bigger would increase this output... hmmmmmm)

On the plus side, this is by far the best sounding mini amp I've tested to this point. it has a nice clarity of sound is the bass is hard and tight. The output/balance between the back box speakers and sub are really good. I can't say this was the case with the other amplifiers. In addition to the BT input, there are also 2 more channels of input, a 3.5mm and your normal RCA L+R. Making a total of 3 possible input channels.

On a bad note - This can not be used for 1 button turn on. it has a soft press power button that needs to be held for about 3 seconds to turn it on. When the power get's cut the amp will default to an off status and the button will need to be pressed again for 3 seconds. I guess that would make it a 1.5 button turn on - since you could power it off with 1 button. BUT, if you are not planning on wiring this into your machine and are just going to stick to a clean and easy install into the service port plug(or wall) then this is not an issue. I did notice some line noise when connected to the pin, which was easily cleared up with a Line Loop eliminator(see about 5-8 posts back) I'm also not a fan of amps that automatically add a high pass filter to the backbox channels, which this amp appears to do. NOTE: from all kinds of Q&A I couldn't find any conclusive specs to say it had a high pass filter. However, running a pink noise through the amp the drop off can be seen on an RTA. I understand why this is done, but I would rather have control of that and be able to have more base coming from the backbox speakers(since using good backbox speakers can handle some more anyway). BUT - the output of the sub channel and the nice kick certainly help you overlook this.

As of now this is my favorite amplifier. There is a big noticeable difference in A/B testing with other amps. Feature wise, well I wish it had some features from other mini amps. I really like using my pin as a bluetooth stereo and this Dayton amp is the one I keep coming back to.

Electronic erotica below - Heat sinks removed for the Blue Steel chip pose.
    20220220_124123 (resized).jpg20220220_124123 (resized).jpg20220404_224907 (resized).jpg20220404_224907 (resized).jpg

#618 2 years ago

...I really dislike the daughter board idea presented by the company mentioned before and this is why I did not buy their product. It just is terrible design and prone to issues, not to mention not good for my OCD.

Hey everyone! We've seen a couple mentions of our power board and concerns over the design approach. We'll try to add some color.

Below are two definitions that those of us in the electrical engineering and electronic design world focus on:
    1) Quality - the measure of an article performing its function at time zero.
    2) Reliability - the measure of an article performing its function over time.

There is not a lot to say about 1) and it does not seem to be in question. We've had occasional fails out of the box but we've made testing and BOM changes to address this.

For 2), what seems to be in question is some theoretical failure as a result of the use model. The mounting connection used is a Molex 41815 series Board-to-Board, Power connector. The topology of the power board is what that right-angle connector type is designed for. If there is some concern over tension on the connection when the head is folded to the down position, our harness employs 12-foot cabling and there is ample excess slack to allow for the head to close. We include cable ties and there are numerous wire looms for installation and points for securing the cables. Considering the required run length through the machine is much less, there is plenty of slack and adding more length is not helpful. (There are also many other MODs that run wiring between the head and cabinet so we are not necessarily unique.)

If there is a reliability issue out there it has not been reported to us and there is no actual customer feedback on PinSide that we are aware of. To say there is a bad design at play does not seem to have a basis, and our reliability data and the Molex connector design approach are to the contrary. There are many, many hundreds of this board in the field so the sample size is adequate to be confident in our data.

Anything might eventually happen so won't say "never", but we are not aware of an actual problem. If we're missing an actual reliability event it is because it has not been brought to our attention or it is not visible to us.

OK, thanks for your attention and have a great day!

#619 2 years ago

That reminds me...

I know the next amp board I will be writing about, and documenting an easy way to wire it up with power supply for single button turn on. I'm guessing it will come in at about $50 including amp, super nice power supply, and some wires etc. As a bonus - it will not connect to any of the Spike boards for it's power, avoiding any and all issues with the Stock Stern gear and also not being overly complicated and over engineered. It'll save some serious coin for the DIY'r too.

Now, do I order the board from China directly for $15, or ebay for $25 and get it faster, or Parts Express for $40? Given they are all the same board coming from China, and none of these places are claiming it is made in the USA. I guess I can pick whichever one can ship to me the fastest for testing and writeup.

#620 2 years ago
    Quoted from davegauth:

Here are some pics of what is inside the Dayton 2.1 BT2 Amplifier and a couple first impressions.

Did the sound start to distort before the protection kicked in? Did you test this with all speakers running or just the sub?

Is your conclusion that the other mini amps that you tested are inferior in sound quality at elevated volumes to this Dayton?

#621 2 years ago
    Quoted from RobF:

Did the sound start to distort before the protection kicked in? Did you test this with all speakers running or just the sub?
    Is your conclusion that the other mini amps that you tested are inferior in sound quality at elevated volumes to this Dayton?

All speakers running, no distortion at all right upto protection limit.

The Dayton is the best sounding mini amp thus far. It sounds clearer, hits tighter, and plays louder. I'm not saying the others are crap - but you can hear the difference pretty easily and I keep going back to it for my own use.

If I had to stop right now, no more testing, and outfit all of my pins - I would go with the Dayton.

#622 2 years ago
    Quoted from davegauth:

Question for everyone...
    I want to know your thoughts as to what you would be looking for in an amplifier you would want for your pin or pins etc. Whether or not you know much about them, or don't have a clue. It can be something simple or deep and technical.
    I don't want to lead the question as I have my own thoughts after testing and playing around with a bunch of them.

I am using this amp on 6 of my pins. 5 Spike2 and 1 SAM. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08CJZGT6H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title

I am very pleased with it. On my LZ Prem I can crank it to crazy volumes with no noticeable distortion or clipping. On that pin it is driving JLAudio C2-525X backbox speakers. I splurge a bit on speakers as I am an Audio/VideoPhile. For the sub I am running a Klipsch R-12SW powered sub.

#623 2 years ago

I just picked up a deadpool pro this weekend and went with the kicker 5.25 cs series back box and jbl stage 810 for the cabinet combo. This is the third game I’ve done this to and ya I think it sounds incredible. From what I took from this thread an amp gets you the last 10% but simply dropping in those speakers and tuning the stock eq gets you 90% of the improvement to be had. I listen to my games at low to medium sound levels fwiw.

#624 2 years ago

Anyone happen to have a 4” to 6 1/2 speaker adapter file they’d care to share?

#625 2 years ago
    Quoted from SlapDrain:

I just picked up a deadpool pro this weekend and went with the kicker 5.25 cs series back box and jbl stage 810 for the cabinet combo. This is the third game I’ve done this to and ya I think it sounds incredible. From what I took from this thread an amp gets you the last 10% but simply dropping in those speakers and tuning the stock eq gets you 90% of the improvement to be had. I listen to my games at low to medium sound levels fwiw.

Thank you, ok. With this feedback now I think I will need to re read this thread in its entirety to see the whole picture. Now I am confused, but I never and will never listen to my pins full blast, just want really good sound, the highest I will ever go on a pin is 10-13 for volume with stock speakers, so then perhaps I do not need an amp?

I wish there was a sticky sections so information can be easily found on this thread, I am being perhaps a bit lazy, it is just that do not have the time to browse through 13 pages and when I do have time I only manage to get a few pages in, then I forget where the info was. I have started reading this thread 3 or 4 times and find the information to be difficult to find.
    Great work regardless, please do not take offence on this comment, it great efforts put into this thread, just pointing something out for future reference that is all.

#626 2 years ago

Thank you, ok. With this feedback now I think I will need to re read this thread in its entirety to see the whole picture. Now I am confused, but I never and will never listen to my pins full blast, just want really good sound, the highest I will ever go on a pin is 10-13 for volume with stock speakers, so then perhaps I do not need an amp?
    I wish there was a sticky sections so information can be easily found on this thread, I am being perhaps a bit lazy, it is just that do not have the time to browse through 13 pages and when I do have time I only manage to get a few pages in, then I forget where the info was. I have started reading this thread 3 or 4 times and find the information to be difficult to find.
    Great work regardless, please do not take offence on this comment, it great efforts put into this thread, just pointing something out for future reference that is all.

You should use the bookmark function to save posts you consider key. Bottom left of every post by every person on the forums.

#627 2 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

You should use the bookmark function to save posts you consider key. Bottom left of every post by every person on the forums.

thank you for that, had no idea of this feature.

#628 2 years ago
    Quoted from SlapDrain:

Agreed. The amps are cool and definitely make things pop, but most people would be happy with just swapping the speakers.

#629 2 years ago

Visually I am not a fan of the Kicker Cs, anyone have a recommendations for a 5.25 speaker without the bright colors?

#630 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinash:

Visually I am not a fan of the Kicker Cs, anyone have a recommendations for a 5.25 speaker without the bright colors?

You can always take a sharpie to it to black out the accents(applies to any speaker), or even give it a little airbrush work to match your color theme.

but--- plug and play... You could go down on the Kicker level and Go for the Kicker DS seies, or step up to the kicker KS series. both of them have a darker color scheme. You could do the Alpines, or JBL. plenty of options.

#631 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinash:

I’m running the kicker DS when my GZ comes in. Reviews I’ve read say that they work well in vehicles especially with low power. They don’t have the yellow. Adapter rings courtesy Sleal16

838B8A93-01B7-49BC-B88E-86B5BB4640DF (resized).jpeg838B8A93-01B7-49BC-B88E-86B5BB4640DF (resized).jpeg
    #632 2 years ago

Any tips on mounting a new 8inch cabinet speaker in the base? The new one I got (Boss CXX8) is just BARELY bigger than the stock version, and doesn't fit in the stand-off screws.

Assuming getting new screws and drilling new holes is the best solution for this?

#633 2 years ago
    Quoted from ZAuxier:

Any tips on mounting a new 8inch cabinet speaker in the base? The new one I got (Boss CXX8) is just BARELY bigger than the stock version, and doesn't fit in the stand-off screws.
    Assuming getting new screws and drilling new holes is the best solution for this?

Pick four holes on the cxx8 and use a round hand file or dremel to slot them towards the center of the speaker. The metal is thin and its quick work. The cxx8 will bolt on using the stock hardware after doing that.

And for completeness a note on the JBL 810 cabinet speaker:

Quoted from davegauth:

It'll be a good idea to bolt it down, it'll rattle a little with it just sitting in the studs.
    No toe clamps needed. I just removed the stock studs. (Tap them out with a hammer, and wiggle them out from the bottom) Then pick up some #8 wood screws from the hardware store and some #8 washers. Screw down the speaker from the inside using the sane holes the studs were in. Take the ground strap and pull it up and between the speaker and washer when putting that upper right screw in. You can scrape away some paint on the sub for a better safety ground if you want.

#634 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

Anyone happen to have a 4” to 6 1/2 speaker adapter file they’d care to share?

Can a 6 1/2 fit?

#635 2 years ago
    Quoted from SlapDrain:

Pick four holes on the cxx8 and use a round hand file or dremel to slot them towards the center of the speaker. The metal is thin and its quick work. The cxx8 will bolt on using the stock hardware after doing that.
    And for completeness a note on the JBL 810 cabinet speaker:

Appreciate the tip! It ain't pretty, but the speaker is mounted just fine in the cabinet. It's SNUG, and definitely not going anywhere regardless of how many tilts I throw at it.

Currently playing with the EQ and Ohms setting. Running 4 in the back box (Kicker 4 inch) and 8 for the Boss CXX8.

PXL_20220421_014522589 (resized).jpgPXL_20220421_014522589 (resized).jpg
    #636 2 years ago

Check from under the cabinet that the woofer surround isn't fouling on the Stern cutout. Aftermarket cabinet woofers (8") are generally larger. I think stock is actually a 7.5" if we're being honest! I made a spacer on the 3D printed but you could use wood as well.

Re - whether you need an amp or not, I don't think it's necessary if you're only doing the backbox speakers. If you're doing the cabinet woofer, then I think it's mandatory otherwise I'm yet to hear an improvement (and often it's worse because almost every aftermarket woofer requires far more than 16 watts).

#637 2 years ago

Made my own CN5 connector for GZ and since I had this cable will run Left/Right down to powered subwoofer

EDB927DE-B26C-4AFF-A381-C41D807BDFEE (resized).jpegEDB927DE-B26C-4AFF-A381-C41D807BDFEE (resized).jpeg

#638 2 years ago
    Quoted from davegauth:

DIY - Side Round
    With #3 being the most likely cause of your noise problem - what can you do? First, try plugging your amplifier into the same outlet as your pin(Even the service outlet inside the pin could help). Second, try a different power supply if you have one available. Third, go to amazon and purchase a $10 3.5mm ground loop noise eliminator: amazon.com link » and plug it inline with your audio signal. More often than not, the ground loop eliminator will do the job, there have been times when it has made the noise worse depending on the power supply.
    Hope this helps.

excellent information,Thank You

#639 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinash:

I am running the Kenwood’s and like those as the cone material comes through as translucent.

#640 2 years ago

I am getting myself ready for my Godzilla arrival (if ever!!)
    I am going to tackle it with making a plug and play setup for myself so it’s easily 100% reversible if ever needed to be.

-Doug’s 5-1/4 light kit and adapter.
    - $34 AliExpress amp uncased.
    - going to make molex harnesses to go to board and click right into amp.
    -find a 12-24v power supply anywhere
    -super pro speaker for cabinet.

I’m not looking for crazy audiofile over the top shit. I want it to be loud and clear and snappy.

I may build all this in for my Deadpool first and it if it kicks ass, I’ll just re-up the parts for Godzilla

AB7AE05A-7604-4686-BCEE-F3F8CE48825C (resized).jpegAB7AE05A-7604-4686-BCEE-F3F8CE48825C (resized).jpegDD5A3742-0EDE-4430-921B-68617463C1E5 (resized).jpegDD5A3742-0EDE-4430-921B-68617463C1E5 (resized).jpegDFB26B6A-7DEE-4398-A105-735DEAF86E27 (resized).jpegDFB26B6A-7DEE-4398-A105-735DEAF86E27 (resized).jpeg
    #641 2 years ago

Unless I missed it where do you connect the amp to the pinball machine? Was there any pictures?

#642 2 years ago
    Quoted from marspinball:

Unless I missed it where do you connect the amp to the pinball machine? Was there any pictures?

There are 2 connectors on the Spike 2 board - 1 has 2 pins and goes to the cabinet woofer, the other has 5 pins and is for the backbox speakers. You have to roll your own cable and connector

#643 2 years ago
    Quoted from marspinball:

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

There are 2 connectors on the Spike 2 board - 1 has 2 pins and goes to the cabinet woofer, the other has 5 pins and is for the backbox speakers. You have to roll your own cable and connector

There are several commercial connectors available that give you 3.5 mm female stereo plugs using those pins. I have Pinsound in mine.
    There are pics early in this thread.

#644 2 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

Here are the photos of the backbox connectors. The CN1 and CN4 Output to a 1/8 inch jack to the left right RCA connectors that are plugged into the amplifier
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Does this unit combine the sub and front speakers (three sets of wires) into one output???
    I'm thinking I may need something like this for my output to my small cheapo amp

EDIT: - I am now seeing this comes with the 370$ full set from pinwoofer -
    Spike output (resized).jpgSpike output (resized).jpg

#645 2 years ago
    Quoted from northerndude:

Does this unit combine the sub and front speakers (three sets of wires) into one output???
    I'm thinking I may need something like this for my output to my small cheapo amp
    EDIT: - I am now seeing this comes with the 370$ full set from pinwoofer -
    [quoted image]

You can either make your own connector from CN5 on that board (think its 5) or get the one from pinsound. Thats what I'm using. This is the pinsound one:

https://www.pinsound.org/shop/en/64-subwoofer-line-out-stern-spike.html

#646 2 years ago

Yeah, that's where i'm confused. That looks easy to grab and use. Would I just use one side of that connector to fo to my little amp with 1 - 3.5mm male to male and not have to use the 'sub" side? or would I be missing out on the lows from the pin if I didnt use it? Because my amp only has 1 input.

#647 2 years ago
    Quoted from northerndude:

Yeah, that's where i'm confused. That looks easy to grab and use. Would I just use one side of that connector to fo to my little amp with 1 - 3.5mm male to male and not have to use the 'sub" side? or would I be missing out on the lows from the pin if I didnt use it? Because my amp only has 1 input.

So in my current setup, i just have the L+R from the adapter into the amp. So its just the stereo single input to my amp, and I have the cab+backbox speakers to the amp. Nothing else. I'm getting a great range of lows to highs.

#648 2 years ago
    Quoted from Sleal16:

So in my current setup, i just have the L+R from the adapter into the amp. So its just the stereo single input to my amp, and I have the cab+backbox speakers to the amp. Nothing else. I'm getting a great range of lows to highs.

Great to know, Thanks. appreciated.

I may grab a couple then, they'll be quite easy to use.

There's also the setup from PinWoofer that's almost identical but has the small board with the three outputs. $30 usd

#649 2 years ago

Added a sound bar. Mixed results so far.

52971F7B-29ED-420F-8DCB-EFB8C245590C (resized).jpeg52971F7B-29ED-420F-8DCB-EFB8C245590C (resized).jpeg
    #650 1 year ago

Just a quick - where ya at update....

I'm working with the Fosi amp and will have some pics and my thoughts up soon. But I'm a bit delayed as I think my Fosi may have an issue, and will need to order a new one to verify. I don't want to write about the Fosi until I have a chance to see if what I am running into is just due to being a defective unit.

I purchased a Medieval Madness remake last week - of all things it came with speaker upgrades, Kicker C5S in the backbox(though they are the older model) and righy yellow Pyle subwoofer in the cab. Well - I feel pretty dirty and need a tetanus shot after seeing there is a pyle sub in it. But my point is - it doesn't
    sound right at all. No idea why, but I'll have to add that to future things to do.

Been tempted to get a GnR, but need to clear out a pin first, and that's a bit hard to decide on.

Have 2 amplifier boards on order to review - and would really like to do some more speaker fights but can't justify buying more speakers. So if you are considering buying some speakers and want them compared to what we have so far - PM me and maybe they could make a pit stop in Denver before continuing on to you.

There are 1,828 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 37.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/improving-sound-quality-the-diy-route/page/13 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.