(Topic ID: 17727)

Impressions on "STRANGE SCIENCE" and what you would pay?

By marcand

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

A "Strange Science" just came up for sale near me. Any thoughts on the pin (is it fun?) and price (what do you think it is worth)? Assume the playfield and cabinet are fine and the topper (w/neon) still works.

#2 11 years ago

I just sold my SS. I did not have it long but thought it was a great game. Very enjoyable.

#3 11 years ago

Hard to say, $700-1000??, that is a strange one, pretty good game if it is in good condition.

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

I just sold my SS. I did not have it long but thought it was a great game. Very enjoyable.

If you don't mind me asking, what was its selling price? Just curious.

#5 11 years ago

Fun game. One of three bound woman pinball machines.

Steal another players multiball.

#6 11 years ago

Been trying to contact that guy ever since he listed it and I have not heard anything back from him at all.

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, MI.
269-979-3836

#7 11 years ago

Wish it was as good as weird science. I'd say 1.2K

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

Been trying to contact that guy ever since he listed it and I have not heard anything back from him at all.
John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, MI.
269-979-3836

I wonder if it was the same person who had a Goldball for $800 in Richland last month.

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from Tommi_Gunn:

Wish it was as good as weird science. I'd say 1.2K

Love Weird Science! Very underrated John Hughes film compared to Sixteen Candles & Breakfast Club.

#10 11 years ago

i have been wanting one for some time. fun game. there is one near me at a laundromat but is in poor shape.

#11 11 years ago

Neat game for sci if fans. I have only played it a few times. There was one at TPF this year but it was down for repair a few times. A nice article was written in the final year of game room magazine about a restoration of Strange Science. I have been fascinated by this game ever since I read the article.

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Fun game. One of three bound woman pinball machines.

what are the other 2?

#13 11 years ago

I haven't played multi-player on Radical! for awhile, but pretty sure you can steal multi-ball on it.

#14 11 years ago

It's a fun game! But then I may be a bit biased Value is really based on condition. In minty fresh condition expect to pay over 1200. Average, not too worn but playing right and all there figure 800-900

http://www.passionforpinball.com/science.htm

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from mrgone:

vid1900 said:Fun game. One of three bound woman pinball machines.
what are the other 2?

I don't remember the 3rd, but #2 is Aztec.

There was a post about all 3 not too long ago.

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

A nice article was written in the final year of game room magazine about a restoration of Strange Science.

This is the very Strange Science I had here, it had a few issues Very fun game, very very unusual, but highly entertaining. I would love to have it again someday.

#17 11 years ago

very underated game, needs to be set up right to play well. I bought power balls from pinball life for mine, they are a lighter ball and helps in making the ramps, well worth the investment.

#18 11 years ago

I’ve played it a few times at this year’s Texas Pinball Festival and thought it was really fun.

Quoted from Pin_Crazed:

Hard to say, $700-1000??, that is a strange one, pretty good game if it is in good condition.

I agree it seems like it would be in the $700-1000 range. I’d buy one if it ever became available in my part of the country.

#19 11 years ago

If I can ever find a good used display for mine then one might become available in your area. Playfield is perfect, cabinet is nice, topper is gone.

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from marlboroa:

If I can ever find a good used display for mine then one might become available in your area. Playfield is perfect, cabinet is nice, topper is gone.

Sure! I’d be interested in taking it off your hands if ever do decide to sell.

#21 11 years ago

I've always wanted to play SS, but I've never come across one in the wild or otherwise. It looks interesting.

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from hotmach4u:

they are a lighter ball and helps in making the ramps

You shouldn't need to use powerballs to hit the ramps. On my game I can flip the ball completely around the Particle Separator ramp from either side!

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from Scuba_Steve:

I agree it seems like it would be in the $700-1000 range. I’d buy one if it ever became available in my part of the country.

Yea, had a hard sell on the SS and it was famous for crying out loud!! It went for $750 if I remember correctly.

#24 11 years ago

i might need to replace my coils, this game is known to have week flippers. what pitch is your game set at?

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from Cliffy:

You shouldn't need to use powerballs to hit the ramps. On my game I can flip the ball completely around the Particle Separator ramp from either side!

Yep, me too. A good cleaning and complete flipper rebuild took care of that for me. I can make all shots now with no problem.

Also, make sure your end of stroke switches are set to actuate at the last possible second. Helps to maintain the high power needed to make those shots. Particularly at that upper flipper.

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from hotmach4u:

i might need to replace my coils, this game is known to have week flippers. what pitch is your game set at?

6-6.5 degrees. It is not truly known to have weak flippers. Bally used the same flipper mechs for many years. What they ARE know for is wearing out rather quickly. Bally linear flippers use a longer than normal plunger (read: heavy) with a squared notch cut out to accept a nylon crank. The end of this plunger also slides in a split nylon "nyliner" grommet at the end of the bracket. This nyliner wears out or falls out allowing the plunger to drag. So along with Goonies excellent tip on the EOS the full rebuild is the single best thing you can do on Bally linear flippers.

You can also convert the linears to the old style link and pawl. I did try that and frankly on my own Strange Science it made the flippers too snappy and all my shots were now much harder to make. The ball tended to bounce back more and I got airballs I never seen before so keep that in mind if you decide to swap

#27 11 years ago

Interesting game. Bit of a one trick pony. Back glass condition is important on this one. They are fairly rare and don't come up too often. I bought one a while back, fixed it up some and moved it along. It was a very nice example with an excellent back glass. Cool 80's sounds and the neon topper make this a cool game in a larger collection. 8-1200 is the going rate from what I've seen...good luck!

#28 11 years ago

I just bought my 2nd one from Coasterguy.. should never have gotten rid of it in the first place. Some GREAT sounds in this game, and the anti-grav shot was pretty innovative for its time. Multiball is also one of the hardest to get in pinball (but very rewarding when you get it). Up there with Black Hole for difficulty.

#29 11 years ago

I'd say $800-1000 range depending on condition. I had mine for a few years but I just couldn't get into it. The artwork is cool, love the neon topper, and it does have a couple of great shots. That being said, I didn't care for the amount of plastic on the playfield, and the 5-ball multiball was just too much to do anything but button-mash. It was fun for a few games, but that was about it.

1 week later
#30 11 years ago

I was able to get it in a trade (I had a Centipede/Millipede/Missile Command multi-cab he wanted) and it's in my basement now. The condition is excellent, but I need to change the legs heights as it's darn near 0 degrees. I like my pins to be faster to the drain!

Cool machine. Great neon topper and lots of shots to make. The flippers are strong and the backglass and cabinet are excellent. I have been reading a lot about this machine here and I'll need to do some adjusting.

#31 11 years ago

I have really been enjoying mine, I plan to keep it for a while.

1 year later
#32 10 years ago

1 year ago

#33 10 years ago

Yeah, about six months ago a number of them had sold through pinside at $1500. But with only about 2000 games made, it is very hard to get a good bead on the actual value of these machines. There just isn't enough sales data.

Also, do you factor in the costs of the replacement ramps and cliffys? Pretty easy to have a $200 difference between an updated game and a "fixer upper."

#34 10 years ago

Has some cool things, loved the ball save button and the multi ball release is cool. Eventually the music drove me crazy and sold it to my friend. When I go back to play it at his house I find the music is still annoying.

#35 10 years ago

Congrats on your new machine, this is a very unique machine, one of which I have never owned but hope to someday. It's very fun and the art is very cool to me. Enjoy!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/impressions-on-strange-science-and-what-you-would-pay?responsive=0 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.