Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 74 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by Knxwledge
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Impose ban?”

• Yes, > 1 year 51 votes
      29%
    • Yes, ≤ 1 year 46 votes
      26%
    • No that's dumb 77 votes
      44%

(174 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Top 100 (resized).jpg
    Trogdor100 (resized).jpeg
    F0AE5645-DF40-41BA-8F22-37E34430385E (resized).jpeg
    C041E5DD-28C1-4CAF-8C4F-803AEF5E09DE (resized).png

There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 3 months ago
    Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

I never cared about the rating system. Who cares what others think play and enjoy the games you like.

Nobody cares.

Except everybody apparently! There are more
    Of these “top 100 is an outrage!!!” Threads than there are “is the bubble bursting!?” Threads!

#52 3 months ago
    Quoted from megadeth2600:

I really don't follow the ratings. However, if the goal is to keep the newer stuff out of the Top 100 until the ratings become a bit more realistic, just make a category for the releases of the past year. After a game has been out in the wild for a year, it could then be moved into the Top 100. If people are obsessed with screwing with the ratings thinking that it boosts their value, they'd have less motivation to do so since they'd only impact a much smaller list of pins.
    I find it sad people would do this kind of nonsense just to boost the value of a game. Experienced collectors know better, but anyone new to the habit could get played by the deadbeats that do these kinds of things just to sell a pin.

let it be written let it be done .and if not 1 year atleast 6 months.

#53 3 months ago

Just rename the list "top 100 as$holes", its nothing but opinions anyway. Imagine how much the site traffic would increase from google searches!

#54 3 months ago

Relax...

#55 3 months ago

I don't understand why it's so hard to concede that the new release game that you just bought, without even playing it first, isn't actually the greatest game ever made. Why does the latest release always spend some time in the #1 spot? People need to get a grip. I've bought new release games that I got bored with pretty quickly. It happens. Sell the damn game and move on. No need to pump before you dump every freakin' time. Some people seem to do this habitually. It's been this way since the inception of Pinside.

#56 3 months ago

I think the argument that "The game will settle down to its proper spot" is bunk because those initial insanely biased hype ratings still count toward the aggregate score, so they still artificially raise the game's position in the list. If you could filter out ratings made in the first 6 months or year of the game's release instead of having a temporary ratings ban that would work too.

Also more and more people with the really cool "why do you care?" argument. I primarily spend time on KLOV/VAPS where the ratings for arcade games mean literally nothing, nobody talks about them. They aren't integral to the site so people aren't interested in reforming them (myself included). Seems like discussions of ratings happen very often so I thought this would be a good idea to help the ratings have more legitimacy.

#57 3 months ago
    Quoted from luckymoey:

For me it’s more about how long the rater not the machine has been around. I typically ignore ratings from new members and scan for well written views from longer term members, particularly ones that share my game priorities. I’m not putting down the opinion of new members and know some have been in the hobby a long time but overall it takes time/experience to gain perspective. I cringe at some of my early ratings.

I’ll disagree here. I’ve seen several reviews from veteran members that have put the wrong reviews in for certain models. How can you rate a premium if you only played a pro? Even the guy doing every pinball ever created with long ass reviews has made this mistake.

For those saying “who cares?” Then why have it at all? It’s there, with decimal points… do it right or don’t bother. If not going to read the reviews to even attempt to decide if a reviewer even played the pin, we are as good as Amazon..

#58 3 months ago
    Quoted from Trogdor:

For those saying “who cares?” Then why have it at all?

It drives traffic to the site, and it drives activity on the site (as these monthly threads can attest to).

It boggles my mind that you folks think you can have an "accurate" or "better" opinion. You can't - it's literally impossible. I know it's been a long time but they taught us subjective vs. objective in the 5th grade I believe. Go check your notes.

What you need to do is create The Trogdor 100 and post it for all to see.

It will be perfect in every way, will be completely unbiased, and I guarantee that you will find zero problems with it or how it was formulated.

#59 3 months ago

Finally! Id also like several games removed that have generally kicked my my ass over the years.

#60 3 months ago

Question: Which game in the Top 30, that is 3 years old or less, do you think is overrated on the Top 100 list? Where should it be instead?

I can only rate "Stranger Things" (as I haven't played most of the newer games yet). I was not impressed by it and would kick it at least 10 notches lower on the list.

I wonder how many of the newer titles will maintain their (relative) ranking a year from now? JP seems to be a favorite...

#61 3 months ago
    Quoted from Pin_Gizmos:

Question: Which game in the Top 30, that is 3 years old or less, do you think is overrated on the Top 100 list? Where should it be instead?
    I can only rate "Stranger Things" (as I haven't played most of the newer games yet). I was not impressed by it and would kick it at least 10 notches lower on the list.
    I wonder how many of the newer titles will maintain their (relative) ranking a year from now? JP seems to be a favorite...

Mando. Very likely Rick and Morty too.

I haven't played either game, but I have played Medieval Madness and I've watched a Stern promo video for both Mando and JP.

From the trailer, and watching a Keith Elwin explanatory video, I'd say that JP looks like the better game. There's an obvious goal and direction to JP (i.e. progress through the paddocks by making specific shots). The playfield is clearly arranged and the toys seem to have a specific purpose.

The Mando video is... all over the place. I'm also unimpressed by the static Child figure and the weird mini-playfield (those are rarely done well), especially on the Premium model where it seems to move around for no obvious purpose.

I'm aware I have very specific preferences in games - I prefer shooters - but I don't see why Mando is *that good*. I mean, it *might* be as good as Twilight Zone, which also always seems to me unnecessarily complex and cluttered, but that's at No. 10.

I'm open to being convinced, but I think a *lot* more than 88 people need to rate it (myself included) before I'll believe it.

#62 3 months ago
    Quoted from Knxwledge:

Also more and more people with the really cool "why do you care?" argument. I primarily spend time on KLOV/VAPS where the ratings for arcade games mean literally nothing, nobody talks about them. They aren't integral to the site so people aren't interested in reforming them (myself included). Seems like discussions of ratings happen very often so I thought this would be a good idea to help the ratings have more legitimacy.

So you’re saying you’re the really cool guy on KLOV/VAPS and don’t talk about it but then you come to Pinside and start a thread with poll to try and stir the pot and come up with some mega complex rating system which only factors in the reviews that you deem valid.

Seems like you should just be that KLOV guy here.

#63 3 months ago

Maybe minimum number of reviews and/or a simple * noting it's a newer game, and to take that rating with a grain of salt. Maybe after 2 years remove the *. Otherwise I am fine with doing nothing at all, or setting up some other system to prevent the silly immediate high rankings for new games. I guess it's just a problem for a new person not knowing that it's an inflated rating. Older pinheads just get annoyed which I kind of appreciate.

#64 3 months ago

Is this wokeness creeping into pinside? It sure smells like something.

Pinball is all that matters. Suddenly the top 100 selection process on pinside needs revision.

Change absolutely nothing at all. Pinside is the place.

My personal recommendation.

#65 3 months ago
    Quoted from Azmodeus:

Is this wokeness creeping into pinside? It sure smells like something.
    Pinball is all that matters. Suddenly the top 100 selection process on pinside needs revision.
    Change absolutely nothing at all. Pinside is the place.
    My personal recommendation.

grandpa escaped facebook again

#66 3 months ago
    Trogdor100 (resized).jpeg
    #67 3 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It boggles my mind that you folks think you can have an "accurate" or "better" opinion. You can't - it's literally impossible. I know it's been a long time but they taught us subjective vs. objective in the 5th grade I believe.

Yea I never understood the amount of whining and crying... time and energy people go through to complain about ratings. Like somehow that affects the way they enjoy pinball. News flash...it's an aggregate of opinions. No one opinion is more important than the others.

#68 3 months ago
    Quoted from Palmer:

Yea I never understood the amount of whining and crying... time and energy people go through to complain about ratings. Like somehow that affects the way they enjoy pinball. News flash...it's an aggregate of opinions. No one opinion is more important than the others.

Do away with the rankings then, just have reviews.

#69 3 months ago

Fire blast

BURNINATE!

#70 3 months ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Do away with the rankings then, just have reviews.

And miss out on these monthly "The top 100 is a crime against humanity" threads!??!

What are you trying to do, kill Pinside?!

#71 3 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

And miss out on these monthly "The top 100 is a crime against humanity" threads!??!
    What are you trying to do, kill Pinside?!

You have to admit it would kill the ranking shenanigans and actually force people to write reviews.

No "this game sucks worse than anything that has sucked before" doesn't count.

Except for Williams Darling maybe.

#72 3 months ago
    Quoted from Chet_Hardbody:

grandpa escaped facebook again

Grandpa always said if it isn’t broke don’t fix it.

#73 3 months ago

"Business as usual" ..........

Top 100 (resized).jpg
    #74 3 months ago
    Quoted from ToddSonOfOdin:

So you’re saying you’re the really cool guy on KLOV/VAPS and don’t talk about it but then you come to Pinside and start a thread with poll to try and stir the pot and come up with some mega complex rating system which only factors in the reviews that you deem valid.
    Seems like you should just be that KLOV guy here.

I disagree with pretty much everything you've said here. Look through my post history and you can see I'm not someone obsessed with the ratings. You don't have to be obsessed with the ratings to make a suggestion on how they can be improved. If you think my suggestion is so complex that sounds like a 'you' problem.

There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside