(Topic ID: 207488)

Importing Pins

By Completist

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

So within the next 6 months I’ll be moving my family and all my worldly possesions to the US for an intercompany transfer. Still lots to figure out but one thing i’m wondering is if its worth importing my collection, or selling it here and starting fresh down there. Based on all the “whats for sale in.....” threads i’ve been following it seems that hunting down pins will be much easier there. Of course for me selling hasn’t been something thats come easy (only ever sold 1 lol).

Has anyone ever moved cross border and brought pins? Am i taxed again or any addition costs to bring them across?

#2 6 years ago

They won’t be taxed in the way back in. They were made here.

Typically your household items aren’t taxed when you move anyway.

Remember those machines may be worth more in Canada than they are here since you have to pay taxes and shipping tot get them there.

The biggest problem is going to be shipping costs. Your company likely has a limit on expense or weight if they have an arrangement with a moving company. I’d start asking questions there.

To Where are you moving? Finding good older pins like your collection may be tough in certain parts of the country.

#3 6 years ago

My advice is sell current pins in Canada. You will get better prices, and you eliminate the transport factor.

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

The biggest problem is going to be shipping costs. Your company likely has a limit on expense or weight if they have an arrangement with a moving company.

Yes that actually was made clear. They pay for the move but 1 truck basically. Things like antiques, expensive art, large musical instruments are excluded for insurance reasons. Plus they added “hobby equipment of large size or weight” which i called the pinball clause. I think they added that in for me haha. And honestly i wouldn’t expect them to pay for that.

Quoted from Black_Knight:

Where are you moving? Finding good older pins like your collection may be tough in certain parts of the country.

Eastern panhandle of West Virginia. I’m always up for a pin aquisition roadtrip tho. 4 of my pins were brought up from the States.

Quoted from elcolonel:

My advice is sell current pins in Canada. You will get better prices, and you eliminate the transport factor.

I think you may be right. It is def harder to find machines up here. There are lots of pins they just don’t seem to move. Lots of private transfers of machines that are never listed for sale between collectors though. But i’m sure that’s the same everywhere.

#5 6 years ago

Send me a pm if looking to sell. You have a few im interested in.

#6 6 years ago

Ya I’d buy a few as well send me a pm too, I’ll take second dibs

#7 6 years ago

If I were in your shoes I would sell before moving. Depending on where in Eastern Panhandle WV you will likely find pins much cheaper here within 3 or 4 hours of your new home. Normally there are plenty of machines for sale in NJ, PA, MD, and Virginia. I have not followed machines for sale in WV much but a few hour drive and you will find plenty for sale.

I have had customers drive 10 or 12 hours each way from Canada to buy from us so I have to assume most machines are likely much cheaper here.

#8 6 years ago

I'd suggest maybe to keep 3 favorites and sell the rest. Most of the games in your collection aren't too difficult to obtain on the east coast with the exception of: Centaur, CV, F2k, and BK. The 3 older titles are especially difficult to find with nice playfields, so if you have a nice example of one of those, you might want to hang onto it if they are keepers for you. CV can be ridiculously expensive on the rare occasion when one does happen to surface, so it might be difficult to re-acquire that one if you still want it in your collection.

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

If I were in your shoes I would sell before moving. Depending on where in Eastern Panhandle WV you will likely find pins much cheaper here within 3 or 4 hours of your new home. Normally there are plenty of machines for sale in NJ, PA, MD, and Virginia. I have not followed machines for sale in WV much but a few hour drive and you will find plenty for sale.
    I have had customers drive 10 or 12 hours each way from Canada to buy from us so I have to assume most machines are likely much cheaper here.

It’s less about pricing and more about availability. Pins up here are harder to come by. Especially if you are looking for specific titles. 3 of my pins i came down to PA myself for.

#10 6 years ago

Good advice @ForceFlow. Centaur was very hard to score. CV i think was fate. I decided to buy my first pin. Was fortunate to be introduced to a local collector who had a huge collection. After playing pinball arcade i played a few of the ones i liked on the real machines. i decided i wanted CV. A week later an ad came up for a CV 30 mins away and i got it. I had no idea it was a rare fs ad and havent seen one fs since.

Also i didnt mean to turn this thread into a fs or auction. Any games i sell as a result of this i will donate accordingly to pinside. I’d prefer to do through marketplace ads when i sell so everything is on the up and up.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from Completist:

Also i didnt mean to turn this thread into a fs or auction. Any games i sell as a result of this i will donate accordingly to pinside. I’d prefer to do through marketplace ads when i sell so everything is on the up and up.

As soon as people hear you have pins that might be for sale it typically gets totally crazy here. I'll be selling off about 30 (or more) pins from our collection this Spring and have a couple of the same titles as you are asking about bringing South. If you do decide to sell some stuff before you move and would like to talk to me about stuff we will have going up for sale feel free to contact me.

Our stuff most likely will not go up for sale until around the time of the Allentown Show so timing might work out great for you.

#12 6 years ago

I would just keep the Centaur and transport that one. It would be the hardest game to track down again that is in your collection.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

Our stuff most likely will not go up for sale until around the time of the Allentown Show so timing might work out great for you.

Sounds good. I actually stopped by your booth last year to meet you. Quite a feat of moving all those pins in last year!

Quoted from snyper2099:

I would just keep the Centaur and transport that one. It would be the hardest game to track down again that is in your collection.

I think this is sound advice. I would prob regret selling it. CV too, mainly for sentimental reasons as it was my very first pin.

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from Completist:

I think this is sound advice. I would prob regret selling it. CV too, mainly for sentimental reasons as it was my very first pin.

To me it seems like the "most logical" thing to do is size down keeping machine you know you would regret selling and just keep 2 or 3 that are most important to you. Then replace stuff you sold with machines on your wish list or replacing what you sold a little at a time.

As most people know who know me I am always into the chase. I know some people prefer playing over work on or chasing machines but 90% of my fun with the pinball stuff is chasing the next machine.

Bottom line is do what feels right to you but if I was in your shoes I would only keep machines that are somehow special to me.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/importing-pins?hl=bigbad and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.