Linked Games

• OXO Williams, 1973

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2013-02-18_10-56-57_80.jpg
2013-02-18_10-38-31_949.jpg
2013-02-18_10-38-22_768.jpg

#1 11 years ago

So I am checking the switch assemblies under the playfield of OXO last night, triggering them manually to get a sense of which swtiches need adjustment. All of a sudden the center coil of the chime assmebly starts smoking and bursts into flames. I unplug the game and blow the fire out and cut one of the wires to the burnt coil. Disconnected the chime assembly.

What did I learn?

When I first looked under the playfield, I had noticed that two of the coils in the chime assembly had no plungers. Didn't think much of that until the fire.

Now I realize, without a plunger to act on, I could not know that the switch activating the coil was stuck on until the coil fritzed. Thought that a loud buzzing might have occurred but didn't.

I guess this has never come up before since this game is the first I have gotten that needs time in the IC.

Dan

#2 11 years ago

So the previous owner could fix a switch and removed the plungers ?

Glad you figured it out. Glad that game got a good home.

LTG : )

#3 11 years ago

To make matters worse, more current will run through a coil that has no plunger and with.

Although you could just tell people you were flame polishing the ramps...

#4 11 years ago

I thought for sure the body of the thread was going to read "do not go camping with centerflank"

#5 11 years ago

Yeah, on any unknown pin,and before powering on,one should inspect and manually test all the coils, especially the troublesome knocker. Here in be the lesson #1.

#6 11 years ago

Live, learn, and be glad nothing was damaged (people included!)

#7 11 years ago

Never really put thought into that before honestly thanks for sharing the info Wizzo.

#8 11 years ago

If you haven't smoked at least one coil, you ain't tryin'! You gotta pay to play!

#9 11 years ago

So the previous owner could fix a switch and removed the plungers ?
Glad you figured it out. Glad that game got a good home.
LTG : )

He fixed the switch alright! I think the switch has been stuck on, so to get rid of the constant buzz, he took out the plunger.

Although you could just tell people you were flame polishing the ramps...

I have the OXO Pro. Only the OXO LE came with ramps.

I thought for sure the body of the thread was going to read "do not go camping with centerflank"

Well, that too!

Some little animal had a fiberglass and schematic deficiency. Had to be constipated though; no droppings in the cab. You can see the missing plungers in the chime assembly.

2013-02-18_10-38-22_768.jpg2013-02-18_10-38-22_768.jpg

I thought he said it was pretty clean!

2013-02-18_10-38-31_949.jpg2013-02-18_10-38-31_949.jpg

Playfield not too hateful. At least I don't have to find those funky bumper caps!

2013-02-18_10-56-57_80.jpg2013-02-18_10-56-57_80.jpg

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from smokey_789:

Yeah, on any unknown pin,and before powering on,one should inspect and manually test all the coils, especially the troublesome knocker. Here in be the lesson #1.

Rushing in where angels fear to tread...

Quoted from NJGecko:

Live, learn, and be glad nothing was damaged (people included!)

Got to admit that it was a little unnerving. Very glad for sure.

Quoted from Shoot_Again:

Never really put thought into that before honestly thanks for sharing the info Wizzo.

Neither had I ever. I hope posting it helps someone else avoid the same issue. Appreciate the comment.

Quoted from stashyboy:

If you haven't smoked at least one coil, you ain't tryin'! You gotta pay to play!

Last night I became a man!

Dan

#11 11 years ago

a little fire will make your heart race a bit -

#12 11 years ago

Could have been a lot worse!

#13 11 years ago

go play some lotto with that luck...nice save

#14 11 years ago

Making some progress albeit slowly. Things are beginning to make sense as the EM mapping center of my brain is reawakening.

Got the schematic and manual from PBR and saw that the fried chime coil and the below were symptoms of the same problem.

Discovered that the 100s coil was warmer than the other, getting stuck on. Read up on pinrepair.com. Disconnected the playfield to rule it out. Relay still stayed stuck after being triggered. Checked out the EOS switch on player 1. Got it properly adjusted after much effort. Releases perfectly now.

Hundreds not advancing smoothly, so disassembled and cleaned the scoring reel. A little better but still not right. Checked and found same issue on all players, so that suggested something they all had in common. Focused on the relay switches and cleaned them. All players score hundreds freely now.

The chime coil was for the 100s. It is energized by the 100s relay coil, which was sticking on due to the EOS switch on the 100s score reel of player 1 being improperly adjusted.

EM problems are incestuous!

Lots more to do.

Dan

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Oh whatever Hilton, If the camping expeditions are so awful, why have you attended the last 13 trips?

#16 11 years ago

Finished with everything in the backbox. Scores as it should. Disassembled, cleaned up and adjusted the credit reel and ball count (?) units. Both working fine now. Spring tension is very important on the ball count unit. Took a while to get it right. Match working, maybe could use a bit of a cleaning.

Now on to the bigger stuff in the cabinet and under the playfield. Starting slow. Building confidence.

Dan

#17 11 years ago

Nice looking playfield on that one.

--Jeff

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

Nice looking playfield on that one.
--Jeff

It's a three footer.

Dan

#19 11 years ago

Made good progress today. Can see the finish line.

All the steppers workingly correctly.

Found the reason the O/X setting was not switching with each 10 points scored. One of the long leafs on the No. 2 Change Relay was getting hung up in the switch plate that the coil pulls in.

Adjusted the grid lamp switches in the bank, and they all work now. Now 6 of the 9 sections of the grid are working during play. The bottom center button and the top left and center X and O rollovers are still not working. Since the right top X and O rollovers work, that makes me think that it is something with the individual switches as opposed to some common ailment. Maybe the top left and center switches just need cleaning. The bottom center I think will be more involved figuring it out.

Found a bunch of the chime assembly parts hidden on the floor of the cabinet. Will rebuild that.

Only you can prevent coil fires!

Dan

#20 11 years ago

One down, two to go.

Rollover button scored but didn't light bottom center of grid.

Came to realize that the playfield switches that work, trigger the ADVANCE relay for the bonus. Checked the schematic and found that pf switches go to the O/X relay bank under the playfield and then to the ADVANCE relay to increase the bonus.

Cleaned and adjusted the switches in the 8/O and the 8/X relays, the rollover button is now on board!

Betting the same strategy will correct the two remaining non-scoring switches, the left and center O/X rollovers.

Dan

#21 11 years ago

good progress Dan - soon you will know this game inside and out

#22 11 years ago

Thanks.

Good news is I adjusted and cleaned the relays for the top left and center rollovers, and they work now. All playfield features work as designed.

Now the bad news, I began to smell something electrical. I have examined all the coils, transformer, wiring and cannot find anything suggested burning. Insulation all looks good. No brown coil wrappers.

It may be totally unrelated, but at this point the game starts malfunctioning with ball count being stuck on one and not advancing. The scoring reels were not resetting and once a new game started scoring from the score of the last game.

I have disassembled and rechecked the ball count unit, but that did not help.
As you may imagine, just a bit frustrated right now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA.

Dan

#23 11 years ago

All relays are releasing.

The ball count EOS switch is triggering the player reset relay which is holding during the motor running releasing properly and reseting the player stepper in the backbox. So the reset functions seem to be working.

I have been unable to find reference to the sequence of steps for the advancing of the ball count unit and player unit. Searching through pinrepair.com, pinballninja.com, rgp and pinside.

It's in there somewhere.

#24 11 years ago

I think it may be the coil on the ball index relay as it is not closing when the 1K relay closes, and the impulse to the player and ball count units come through it. I started out jumpering from the outhole relay to the EB relay and down to the ball index relay. When I jumpered the center switch on the ball index relay, the ball count advanced as expected fron the schematic. The sequence of steps is on the schematic at 6 C through E, starting at the outhole relay through the EB and Ball INdex relays to the player and coin units and ball count units. The problem is somewhere in this sequence.

#25 11 years ago

Ball index relay coil had funky reading for resistance, kept dropping below 2.0 and eventually the meter got no reading. I removed the coil for examination and found one end of the winding had broken from the lug. Soldered it, and ball count unit working fine.

Now to address the player advance unit. Player reset relay does not seem to be being triggered by the outhole. From the ball index relay, the circuit splits going to the motor, player unit, coin unit and energizing the ball count unit. The other side goes through the motor to the player reset relay then to the player advance unit. Guess I'll jumper the circuit until I narrow the problem down. there is not much there, the switch on the ball index unit, the 1-A switch on stack 2 of the motor and the player reset relay. I need to double check this sequence.

REMINDER: if you disconnect the motor to move it manually, remember to plug it back in correctly. Couldn't figure out what the credit button wasn't starting a new game and tripping one of the coin door switch almost made me want to perform an exorcism.

Dan

#26 11 years ago

Pretty much done now. the ball count unit working triggers the player reset relay and just a few adjustments were needed to get the player unit working.

Need just to fix a laundry list. EB relay not releasing; get knocker working; get match awarding credits; get special to light.

Time to shop! Really a challenging process getting one's brain reacquianted with EMs. Sorry if there are too many posts. I just wanted to document the whole process if someone in the future can benefit from me shaking off the cobwebs.

Dan

#27 11 years ago

Very cool, I definitely appreciate the though process.

#28 11 years ago

That's good to hear.

But again I thought I was at this point before, and then Capt Kibosh decided to visit!

Dan

#29 11 years ago

Almost done.

Special - bonus wiper wasn't make good connection at 9th position. FIXED.

EB-recleaned and adjusted the pertinent switches on the ball index, EB and eject relays. FIXED.

Knocker- adjusted EOS switch on credit reel. FIXED.

The only issue left is to get the credit reel to increment with special match and hi score. Back to staring at schemata.

Dan

#30 11 years ago

Credit reel step up turned out to be a broken wire on the game over relay. That was a long haul.

Now it is time to shop.

Dan

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 25.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball
Various other swag
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Gameroom - Decorations
Pin Art
Decorations
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 10.00
Electronics
NinjaCamp Mods
Electronics
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/important-lesson-learned-last-night and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.