Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by gambit3113
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

Now someday this may save some of you a lot of time and hassle, unless this is somewhat common knowledge but it threw the techs at Stern for a loop.
    On my X-men I got the message about a software mismatch and to contact Stern. Thinking I screwed up on the code update I did it again and got the same message. Called Stern and they had me send back the main board. They got it and called and said it worked fine for them and they sent a new one back anyway. Put that in, same message. They didn't know what it was and called me back later to suggest I swap out the driver board with another Stern. Well first we looked at this board closely and noticed two fuses were blown, the audio 12 &13. So replaced these and they blew up again upon startup. So figured it was a pinched wire and sure enough, the wire for the topper was pinched by the backbox. Put in two more fuses and game fired up and the mismatch error disappeared! So all this hassle over fuses, and why doesn't the pinball say this was the problem instead up putting up the software mismatch error? So if you blow a fuse this error message could come up, and it's most likely not your main board.

#2 10 years ago
    Quoted from aberdeentp:

So figured it was a pinched wire and sure enough, the wire for the topper was pinched by the backbox. Put in two more fuses and game fired up and the mismatch error disappeared! So all this hassle over fuses, and why doesn't the pinball say this was the problem instead up putting up the software mismatch error? So if you blow a fuse this error message could come up, and it's most likely not your main board.

Ummmmm, what topper?

#3 10 years ago

I have had this happen on two different Stern machines. Pinched wires on Laseriffic toppers in oth cases, and the DMD was reporting a software mismatch. Both times it happened I had just raised the backbox into place, so I was able to back track my movements and find it pretty easily.

#4 10 years ago

This didn't happen after putting the laseriffic topper in, but later I moved the pinball and put the backbox down for clearance. I probably turned it back on a few weeks later and noticed the message and by then didn't think it was the topper as the message on the screen has nothing to do with the problem. In my humble experience when a fuse goes out, things just plum don't work but getting this message, a blown fuse never crossed my mind.

#5 10 years ago

I hope you sent Stern a box of beers to say thanks ...

Not really their problem if your aftermarket topper caused the issue.

I dear say Patrick and the lads would be appreciative of a box of Buds ...

That's what I would do anyway.

rd.

#6 10 years ago

Good to hear, thanks for the tip. My ACDC did the same thing, again my fault.
    A default thanks to Stern for the great service effort.
    You could send beers, or just tell them to build an Alice Cooper machine, and they'll be appreciative of all the money they make! (oh, that's another thread, isn't it).

#7 10 years ago

I predict that within 12 posts, this will be spun into a shoddy Stern QC issue. #justthewayitis

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

I predict that within 12 posts, this will be spun into a shoddy Stern QC issue. #justthewayitis

LOL LOL LOL - of course it will !

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

I've heard today that JJP has better metal! Whoooooo.

I have about 20 Sterns. Never had any metal break.

rd

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

I've heard today that JJP has better metal! Whoooooo.
    I have about 20 Sterns. Never had any metal break.
    rd

Of course it is better. It is aged to perfection.

#11 10 years ago

Oh crap metal now has to be aged to perfection.

I'm out that $hit sounds expensive.

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from Shoot_Again:

Oh crap metal now has to be aged to perfection.
    I'm out that $hit sounds expensive.

Yep. Needs at least two years. Gets more expensive the longer you wait to buy, too.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/important-information-about-recent-sterns and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.