Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by G-P-E
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

I had a pop bumper that appeared to have its skirt get stuck on occasion thereby keeping current flowing and would blow my slow-blo fuse to the solenoid circuit. That's what I thought anyway.

I had my local pinball tech come by and take a look. We couldn't recreate the 'stuck skirt' no matter what we did. But... he noticed that the diode on the solenoid of the pop bumper (or maybe it was the diode on the pop bumper switch) was not fully terminated on one end. In fact, it went through the hole on one end but didn't appear to be fully soldered. So that would mean an intermittent connection as it rattles around during gameplay.

My question is, does it make sense that an intermittent connection of the diode on the solenoid or switch of the pop bumper would cause the slow-blo fuse to blow? Or would it instead simply cause intermittent operation of the pop bumper itself?

Again, we could find nothing wrong with the pop bumper skirt and could not make it stick ourselves. I guess I'm looking for a better understanding as to what the impact would have been of a loose diode as it relates to the slow-blo fuse and if this may have been the problem all along? If terminated properly, current flows one way through the diode, I get that. If not terminated, wouldn't it stop current from flowing at all? Say I simply removed the diode, what would happen during gameplay? How would current make its way back to the slow-blo fuse?

#2 2 years ago

yes, that's what the diode and fuse are for. The gist is this: The coil will generate a huge voltage spike when the magnetic field collapses. The diode prevents the voltage spike from destroying the transistor. Fortunately the fuse has been doing it's job.

You absolutely need this diode so attach it correctly.

#3 2 years ago

I'd replace the diode while you are in there with your iron, those things can crack

#4 2 years ago

Thanks for the replies, appreciate learning about the theory. I'll be up in there again soon and check the diode for replacing.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/impact-of-loose-diode-on-pop-bumper and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.