(Topic ID: 7682)

Impact of cabinet condition on value

By c3trey

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 12 years ago

Hello, pinsiders. I'm a new member who has been lurking a bit and really enjoying the discussions and the insight I've gained.

I recently got into the hobby and have picked up a couple of machines (LOTR and SM) with similar stories -- the playfields are good but the cabinets have some flaws (nicks/dings, start and flipper button wear, in one case a significant long scratch that's been touched up). The more I read about all the HUO machines and art fade concerns on the boards here, the more I'm wondering what impact on the value of the machines the flaws would have. I'm just trying to get a sense of how I did.

So, all other things being equal (routed machine with good playfield, thoroughly shopped, good plastics, etc.), what would you subtract from the value of an a-list pin to compensate for cabinet wear? Let's say you've got a machine that would be worth 3500 with a great cab -- what is it worth with some cabinet flaws along these lines?

#2 12 years ago
    Quoted from c3trey:

Let's say you've got a machine that would be worth 3500 with a great cab -- what is it worth with some cabinet flaws along these lines?

I wouldnt say it hurts it to much. If its a $3500 pin with minor cabinet fade/wear I would say $3000-$3200. If its significant than maybe more. Some guys are really anal about cabinet but not me as all my pins are lined up next to each other so you dont really see to much of the cabinet.

#3 12 years ago

Cabinet wear........WHO CARES!!!!! It's the play that matters to me, so long as the PF is in good shape so the gameplay is not altered and the game is FUN that's why I play You can always rework your cabinet if you need to, or have to, hell if the cabinet looks so bad it de-values, I'd have to question the entire game! You a player or collector???? That's the only way cabinet looks would matter.....if you collect rather than play!

#4 12 years ago

Can't say cab art bothers me too much, the opposite of vids where I do care.

#5 12 years ago

Minor nicks and scratches don't bother me. Major damage to a cab is an issue as a trashed cab says, "I just didn't give a crap." It also isn't as important to a game if they sell the decals so I can replace them. The playfield and backglass are the most important to me followed by the circuit boards.

#6 12 years ago

Thanks, guys, I appreciate the replies. That's how I was looking at it -- my plan was to target "player's machines" so I could get more bang for the buck. I was starting to think I overpaid a bunch but from what I am hearing I probably did ok. The plan was/is to obtain a few so that long-term I can get into the trading game and I was wondering if I was on the wrong track for that. Sounds like there are others like me who aren't too concerned if the cab isn't pristine.

#7 12 years ago

It all depends on the buyer. Some people are very anal and only want games with perfect cabinets. Others don't really care about some minor cabinet damage as long as the playfield and translite are nice.

#8 12 years ago

I am not as concerned about the cabs as I am the playfield and boards. It is always easier to get a higher sale price/trade value with a pin in great condition with little to no cabinet wear. That said, most buyers are concerned more about the playfield, boards, and the mechanics of the machine being in good working order than cabinet wear. So it's not likely to affect the value too much maybe by $200 to $500 (maybe more) depending on the machine and extent of wear on the cabs.

#9 12 years ago

I'm a player AND a collector, nothing says you can't be both

My games are in a nicely finished room in my house, where they are quite visible to anyone walking by, so if the cab looks too faded or ratty, I fix it. Restoration is part of the hobby that I enjoy very much. Minor dings and scrapes don't bother me much, so they usually remain that way.

It's not being anal, it's the same as putting a ratty old sofa in a well finished room. It just looks bad. If my games were in the garage or an unfinished basement I'd care less.

#10 12 years ago
    Quoted from shock_me:

My games are in a nicely finished room in my house, where they are quite visible to anyone walking by, so if the cab looks too faded or ratty, I fix it

Same here. Cabinet needs to look as good as the PF IMO. For older titles that have decal reprods available it's less of an issue on value impact because if it's an issue for a potential buyer they have an option of getting the decals.

#11 12 years ago

As long as the cabinet doesn't have major damage/wear fade the cab doesn't bother me. It's more the playfields that I look at when assessing value but everyone is different. A few scratches on the cabinet aren't going to stop me from playing a game. Most of my machines are close together so you really never see the cabinet anyways. I would certainly stay away from water damaged cabinets or moldy ones.

#12 12 years ago

I think cabinet wear vs. value also factors in more on "A" list titles vs. "B" and "C"

#13 12 years ago
    Quoted from shock_me:

It's not being anal, it's the same as putting a ratty old sofa in a well finished room. It just looks bad.

I hope you weren't offended by my comments, and if you were, I sincerely apologize. I honestly wasn't in any way judging people who prefer nice looking machines. I was merely pointing out that cosmetics simply matters more to some people than others. Perhaps "anal" was a poor choice of words, as it probably has a negative connotation attached to it. I can certainly relate to wanting your pins to look as nice as possible. For example, I paid a lot of money for a NOS TZ translite, and my old translite was actually pretty darn nice.

#14 12 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

shock_me said:

It's not being anal, it's the same as putting a ratty old sofa in a well finished room. It just looks bad.

Don't get me wrong, I too have done quite a bit of work to my cab and backbox for no other reason than I want it to look as nice as possible but, I focus mainly on the play of my pin.

#15 12 years ago

Me. I think everyone here will agree that a game with a rough cab is worth less than a game with a nice one. I don't care that much, but the condition of the cab certainly factors into the price I'm willing to pay.

If the cab is trashed, or heavily faded etc I don't want it.

Quoted from RWH:

Cabinet wear........WHO CARES!!!!!

#16 12 years ago

HUO machines tend to have nice cabinets.

Stern cabinet's are not suceptible to fade like the pre pin2k williams cabinets were. They do wear more easily though.

Ignore most people's price comments on here. If you want accurate estimates go to rgp. Folks on here are almost always high and while you may be able to pass on what you paid to them when you sell the rest of the world will laugh.

LOTR straight off route is 2500, routed is around 3k-3500 for a nice one. 3200-3700 for a huo. Above that you are getting into le tournament which is le territory.

#17 12 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I hope you weren't offended by my comments

LOL, not at all Gweem. No offense taken whatsoever. Even my family calls me fussy. I just figure if I'm gonna own something, I should at least try to make it as nice to look at as I'm capable of doing. I personally take a lot of pride in returning a well used and rough looking game back to some of its former glory. I'm the same way with old vehicles. It's just something I like doing. I realize it's not for everybody though, and I do understand that you don't play the cabinet, and the artwork disappears when the game is shoved in between all the rest of them. FWIW though my games, with the exception of my NIB Spider-Man, are far from what I would call perfect..

#18 12 years ago

My BR has significant cabinet fade, the red is completely washed out, but it doesn't bother me in the least. The game still plays great and looks awesome with leds. If the time comes to sell her and potential buyers mention the cabinet fade I will deal with it then.

#19 12 years ago

An average br will have fade and if you are asking an average price, but if you think you will get top dollar good luck. Some people do not care about the cabinet. They have their machines lined up and you cannot see it. To others it is a piece of furniture and needs to look good. Still others are collectors and want perfection. Since BR hasn't had decals made (and due to its small numbers probably won't for a long time) it cannot be fixed.

#20 12 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

but if you think you will get top dollar good luck.

Well right now it doesn't really matter because I like the game and it's not for sale. I didn't pay top dollar so I would not ask top dollar either, I'm a reasonable person. Actually I would expect to get around the same as what I paid, maybe even slightly less down the road.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/impact-of-cabinet-condition-on-value and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.