Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

images-2.jpeg
#1 12 years ago

I recently purchased a MM and IJ. They are both great machines and fit my collection perfectly.
But after playing the 2 new machines for over a week I have come to a conclusion....AFM is the King.

I have more fun playing AFM than any other pin in my collection. I love Killing aliens.
With MM I feel they made it a little too easy to blow up all the castles. It's the main feature of the game and they made it too easy. What a shame. Don't get me wrong it's still one of the best but I'm comparing it too some of he best.

I think I like IJ better than MM. It's a harder game and hard games draw me back to play. I get bored with the easy ones.

So I guess I'll have to adjust my rankings a little.

#2 12 years ago

Not regretting letting that CP go at all are you.

Great collection you've got there. If I could only have one of your pins it would be MB. Love that game!

#3 12 years ago

I feel sorry for you not enjoying that MM like you maybe thought you would. Hmmm, well, this is a hard decision to come by but, I will take it from you for a few months if it gets too old! It's just the kind of friend I am!

#4 12 years ago
Quoted from The_Gorilla:

I feel sorry for you not enjoying that MM like you maybe thought you would. Hmmm, well, this is a hard decision to come by but, I will take it from you for a few months if it gets too old! It's just the kind of friend I am!

I like it. And I have played it on xbox so I knew what to expect. It's going nowhere but I like AFM a little better. Maybe it will take the trip to Iowa next year.

#5 12 years ago

I love MM, but I agree that it's one real weakness is how easy it is to destroy the castle and how often this occurs. The castle is such a cool toy. I just wish they had implemented it in a more challenging way.

#6 12 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

Not regretting letting that CP go at all are you.

CP is a great pin and it's still to this day the funnest pin I ever played.....for the first 20 games. Then it started to get old....Once you hear all the jokes the boxers got it loses something...Still If I had room for a few more I would have kept it.

But let me say this...Capt. B Zarr is a little concerned being in a room with these other pins but PZ just plays too good to sell....it's my go to game. Not flashy just plain fun.

BTW, Capt. B Zarr is the DJ guy in Party Zone if you don't know. He's also my avatar.

#7 12 years ago
Quoted from wesperron:

But let me say this...Capt. B Zarr is a little concerned being in a room with these other pins but PZ just plays too good to sell....

Sounds like he should be safe as long as he remains your avatar anyway.

I've never seen or played that pin, but I've heard good things. Hopefully somebody brings one to MGC next year.

#8 12 years ago

I "like" MM but there are so many two flipper fan based play-fields out there and I can think of few I like as much and in a few cases more. AFM, MB, IM and LOTR are good examples. Its just personal choice I think. IJ is much more individual in terms of layout and superb interpretation of the theme and AFM is outstanding in terms of flow and speed. All good games really but MM isn't (never has been) top of my list.

#9 12 years ago

Yeah, AFM has that "It" factor. Speed, flow, simplicity coupled with difficulty, great artwork and humor that doesn't really get annoying.

#10 12 years ago

AFM is a great game & i'm gonna be looking at one in the next couple days....But MM is like a polished version of AFM...Both are great games & it seems what most people dont like about MM is the price....If it were a 4-5k pin I believe it would be in a lot more collections. Is it worth 8-10k?? I dont know....Do I want one??? Hell yes

#11 12 years ago

.Do I want one??? Hell yes

I second that emotion!

images-2.jpegimages-2.jpeg

#12 12 years ago

Love the speed of AFM, as I love faster type of games.

Speed + Flow + Great Theme = Awesome game.

Toss up for me as which is better between MM and AFM. Depends on my mood.

I realize that people like a lot of diversity in their collections, but for me I can't think of a fan layout that has disappointed me.

#13 12 years ago
Quoted from wesperron:

I have more fun playing AFM than any other pin in my collection.

There's a subtle beauty to the balance of gameplay that i think is undeniable.

Quoted from emo:

I "like" MM but there are so many two flipper fan based play-fields out there and I can think of few I like as much and in a few cases more.

I agree completely. Fantastic fan layout, like some other fans better, but can't really fault anything on MM. Just like everything in pins, it's all preference.

#14 12 years ago

Wesperron both are great pins it is a hard disision. I have both and will not be selling them. It I had to chose I would be keeping AFM.

#15 12 years ago

I like them both, It's hard for me to say which I like better, but...

I think MM has exceptional hurry-up stacking rules, which I enjoy more than any other hurry-up / hurry-up stacking rules I've ever seen. I don't know if you've had a chance to fully explore the hurry-up stacking rules Wes, but they're really cool, and pretty much a game unto themselves. I'm sure you know once you've had a madness multiball, the next time you fully advance the catapult, joust, peasant, or damsel steps/lights, it'll light a hurry-up. Well, if you don't collect the hurry-up or drain before it times out, and you can fully advance any of the previous mentioned steps/lights again, it'll reset the original hurry-up value, and stack an additional value on top of it, again and again, until you time-out, drain, or succeed in cashing in the value by hitting the hurry-up.

You can get huge points by doing this in a really high stakes risk versus reward game. The highest I think I was ever able to collect by stacking hurry-ups was 22.5 million. I've heard of people getting more than 100 million by stacking hurry-ups, but I've never seen it. I've also accidentally had a rebound roll-up the castle drawbridge and collect the hurry-up before I wanted to on more than on occasion.

Also, to keep from getting bored by repeatedly pounding on the castle, I'll often concentrate on the catapult, joust, peasant, and damsel targets, until I get a multiball. Then in multiball, I'll concentrate on hitting jackpots while pounding the castle mercilessly with multiple balls, which seems to make it more fun and interesting for me. It's especially fun to pound the castle when multiball starts and the ball saver is active, as any SDTM drains get returned to you.

Sorry to prattle on so long. I have fun talking about these things, LOL.

#16 12 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

Also, to keep from getting bored by repeatedly pounding on the castle, I'll often concentrate on the catapult, joust, peasant, and damsel targets, until I get a multiball. Then in multiball, I'll concentrate on hitting jackpots while pounding the castle mercilessly with multiple balls, which seems to make it more fun and interesting for me. It's especially fun to pound the castle when multiball starts and the ball saver is active, as any SDTM drains get returned to you.

I do the same.

#17 12 years ago

I have owned both. I do miss MM but AFM is THE game.

#18 12 years ago

AFM is my fav but on MM why not change the rules to Hard. At Papa they make the games extremely difficult which keeps you coming back because you know at home your scores are way higher.

#19 12 years ago

AFM is a easier game than MM ! RTU is not hard to get but battle the kingdom is very hard to get everything lit !

I have owned both and like the money they are worth way more than the game ! I currently have a AFM and it will be gone before Xmas !

The games I find the most fun are the one not talked about !

Jim

#20 12 years ago
Quoted from fusion301:

AFM is my fav but on MM why not change the rules to Hard. At Papa they make the games extremely difficult which keeps you coming back because you know at home your scores are way higher.

I probably will make it harder but I like to evaluate games based on the Factory settings as this is how it was intended to be played by the manufacturer. When at home harder is better.

Actually is'nt harder always better?

#21 12 years ago

Gotta go with jarjar here - MB is the actual king.

#22 12 years ago

After playing an immaculate AFM at tatmans I fell in love with the game. For a flow game, I think this is the one. I like MM, but AFM has an "it factor" that sets it apart. Maybe it's the sci-fi theme and great humor.

My only two minor issues with AFM (and MM too) are the virtual ball lock - seems like there could have been space at the back to hold a few balls. And the ball launch button. But I get past both of those issues real quick

#23 12 years ago

I like AFM better than MM as well. AFM is a top 5 game for me and MM barely cracks my top 15. A lot of this is probably the theme as I like Sci-Fi/aliens a lot more than Medieval (Monty Python) type theme. It also seems like AFM plays faster and has longer shots as well. I've finished BFTK and RTU multiple times, and while I find MM a bit more challenging to complete, I think AFM is just more fun to play. MM just gets too repetitive and I lose interest after a while. I'm not sure why this is because the shots are essentially the same as AFM. AFM is also repetitive but for some reason I never get bored playing it and it's amongst my favorite games.

#24 12 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

AFM is a great game .... But MM is like a polished version of AFM

I don't know if "polished" is quite the right word, but MM's playfield is certainly a lot more intricate. They're both great games, but I happen to prefer AFM's more basic layout. I'd also take a sci-fi theme over a medieval theme any day.

#25 12 years ago

Also prefer AFM to MM and that is why I bought AFM Not ruled the universe yet but will never sell due to flow, fun, theme etc......just an all time classic. I like MM but not as much.

#26 12 years ago

I just wish I had the opportunity to play some of these A-listers. For now, DW is king at my house.

#27 12 years ago

That's a tough call. I really enjoy playing both. I may give a slight edge to AFM because I love speed and flow. I play MM like Rum-Z does and always seem to have a blast playing it as well. Wish I had both so I could compare them side by side like you Wes. You lucky dog!!!

#29 12 years ago

Sweetness! That will cover up some nasty wear spots on my DW!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westwood, NJ
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Onekama, MI
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 21.50
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/imo-afm-is-the-king and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.