5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Mando
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snaroff.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Decided to glance at my "drain audits" today and was kind of shocked by the following:

IMDN Balls Played 573, Center Drains 561, Left Drains 7, Right Drains 5
SW Balls Played 324, Center Drains 192, Left Drains 82, Right Drains 50

Note that IMDN has a "stock" setup and SWLE has a modded left outlane (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-wars-clubmay-the-force-be-with-you/page/99#post-4437051). Even with the sumo post, the SW left outlane is BRUTAL.

Helps explain why IMDN games last a bit longer than SW games

snaroff

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from Jackontherocks:

Have never seen this posted before, I like that Stern games track this. Can anyone tell me when stern started keeping this info on pins. I would like to see I list of games from when this started. As far as Iron Maiden plays way more friendly than SW game and most of IMDn is played in the middle of game, I feel sometimes I forget about the left and right ramps which I love but get caught in midddle which is more safe. SW is more open and if you miss a shot more punishing to me.

Not only a Stern thing, most games keep audit info.

The main reason I posted this was the really bizarre numbers for IMDN. 98% of drains are down the middle? Whoa.

SWLE & TRONLE are both 60% down the middle (which is much more balanced, obviously). TRONLE is the most balanced with Balls Played 3074, Center Drains 1894, Left Drains 660, Right Drains 520.

snaroff

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

Is the flipper gap the same on both games? What are the average ball times on both games?
Either way it sounds like the out lanes on IMDN should be opened up a bit.

From the factory, the right outlane is already fully open. The left peg is in the middle.

My average ball times on IMDN are ~2x SWLE or TRONLE. Haven't measured the flipper gaps, but I believe they are all the same.

My Sterns average ~60% drains down the middle, which is fairly balanced. 98% is unusual.

I wonder if other IMDN owners are seeing the same stats as far as drains down the middle. It's possible my 98% is related to how I shoot the game.

snaroff

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from Venom_249:

I think there is a glitch on the side drain calculation, mine had numbers similar to yours when I checked it a couple weeks ago.

As someone who programmed professionally for over 25 years, I can't imagine a glitch/bug that would cause this. These are simple/global/universal "counters". I can imagine them not being "wired up" or reset every so often, but then the 3 drain counters wouldn't add up to the "balls played" counter. Odd.

Unlike Eskaybee's recollection of plenty of left drains, my experience is more reflective of the numbers (though 98% center drains was still a standout...I was expecting 80-90%).

In any event, thanks for sharing your data. I'll ping Keith on this issue - if it's a bug, it will certainly not be hard to find!

snaroff

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from sulli10:

This thread interests me as I would have expected that a pin would be designed so that over a significant amount of games the three drain areas would be relatively balanced. Am I missing something

From my perspective, you'd expect center drains to be more common.

The modern Stern's I have access to (SWLE/AS/TRONLE/Beatles) all drain down the center 60-65%. The right/left drains can vary dramatically...my SWLE/Beatles left outlanes are weighted heavily.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballcorpse:

A few things come to mind. Brainstorming here:
1) It would be easy to start games and manually activate the switches and see if it is counting. Certainly wouldn’t cause any unnecessary wear.
2) Perhaps since there is a secret skill shot on the left drain, that it does not register as a “drain” until after it is first activated from a skill shot and the playfield becomes validated. In other words, if the left drain skill shot is not made, maybe there is something in the code where the switch doesn’t change status to count as a “drain”
3) Is there a counter in the audits for the revive feature on the left and right outlane switches? Maybe lighting revive is doing something similar where it is not changing the status of the switches.

These are all good ideas to play with...I'll try some things and report back later.

#19 5 years ago

The counters are definitely wonky, but it's hard to tell what's off.

I just "hand drained" 3 balls to the right...2 were properly attributed to the right and one to the center (incorrectly). In another instance, I witnessed a right drain being attributed to the left...really weird. All of these without enabling revive or the super skill shot. I just drained 3 to the left, with all 3 being preceded by the super skill shot and the left counter only incremented by 1 (the rest being attributed to the center).

So...the bottom line is the right/left/center drain counts are unfortunately meaningless. Really hard for me to understand why the heuristics would be so complex, since a ball loss event is not very complex when compared with all the other signals/timers/etc. that pinball machines manage. You'd also think that these heuristics would be part of the system software (shared between all games).

Oh well, Keith and team will figure it out For now, I'll just ignore the audits for IMDN...

snaroff

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

I can only guess it’s not a well tested aspect of the system and doesn’t get much attention.

Obviously, since it's so broken. Nevertheless, audits are really useful to help tune up a game (by adjusting the posts if a lane is too easy or brutal, for example).

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

It’s a feature I’ve never used. It’s been more empirical for me as to if I need to change a physical configuration

Sure, but it's always nice for data & empirical to agree There are tons of settings/features that are rarely used. I imagine this will be an easy bug fix...as you said earlier, probably doesn't get much attention. Oh well...back to playing.

#26 5 years ago

Looks like the new 1.06 update (just released) fixes the left/right drain system audits

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 3,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 34.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 132.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 24.95
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

8,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Potomac, MD
$ 21.50
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snaroff.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/imdn-premium-vs-swle-drain-audits?tu=snaroff and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.