(Topic ID: 71638)

Image uploading coming back soon! UPDATE: now testing!

By robin

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 46 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by mima
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Sorcerer 011-955.JPG
    Sorcerer 002-890.JPG
    Sorcerer 001-353.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    157053.jpg
    missing_pic2.png
    Screenshot 2013-12-03 09.33.11.png

#1 10 years ago

Hi everyone! Just a quick heads up that the image uploading functionality will be restored soon, most likely tomorrow. It's 23:57 here and I'm calling it a day but the migration to S3 is nearly finished and I'm hoping to launch it in beta tomorrow morning! Sorry for the inconvenience, I know you all like to upload a lot of images and must all be suffering from image withdrawal (Yes, I'm looking at you specifically, Ted)

#2 10 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

(Yes, I'm looking at you specifically, Ted)

Robin`s got you on that Ted.

#3 10 years ago

Ted baaaahhaaaaa baaaaahaaaaa!

#4 10 years ago

Crap, going through withdrawal!

#5 10 years ago

Posting from my iPad is slow...is this related to the upgrade?

#6 10 years ago

Image uploading is now restored, but please note it's in BETA! I will be monitoring how it goes throughout the coming days.

#7 10 years ago

I just tested the heck out of it with a large post of 10+ pics. Worked great!

One thing I noticed when viewing the post is how the pics behave when you click on them. It opens in a new page rather than in a pop-up with navigation arrows and a close button. I actually think this is better.

#8 10 years ago

Thanks for the stress testing, I appreciate that! What you will notice is
    a) posting takes a bit longer because images are being copied to Amazon S3 (but the upload is extremely fast from our 200MBit uplink), but still a little extra wait.
    b) Images are now resized, the resolution depends on the subforum it is posted in. For example, images uploaded to tech forums are stored in a higher resolution than, say, Off Topic Bar uploads. Nifty huh?
    c) I also added a little more agressive jpg image compression to keep files sizes down some more. I used to stores these at original resolution which could mean 6-8 MB per image. Ouch! Let me know if the JPG compression setting is okay or if you think an image is showing too many artifacts.
    d) Our whole site now supports SSL (HTTPS) including our CDN! Woohoo!

I'm still calling all of this beta but initial results look good, so that's great.

#9 10 years ago

So far so good.

#10 10 years ago

Had to resize my images down, with three in a posting, it hung for half an hour or so, saying that it was still uploading. No 'wait' icon to indicate such though, just the popup telling me that I would lose my post if I didn't wait for the upload. Resized, and everything uploaded right away.

#11 10 years ago

Hmm, I uploaded 10 small to medium sized images in one post and didn't have an issue.

#12 10 years ago

I still cannot add a 200K jpg image to my Profile Story. ( ! Upload Error)

#13 10 years ago

Sorry I forgot to mention this, story image uploading is in the process of being updated and should be fixed somewhere next week!

#14 10 years ago

what about uploading other documents? I have tried to upload a excel sheet (as both xls and zip) with no luck. The excel is a basic lights replacement and price calculator.

#15 10 years ago

are we ever going to get inline images from other photo sites? So we don't have to upload?

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

are we ever going to get inline images from other photo sites? So we don't have to upload?

Robin wants to keep everything cached on the Pinside server, which is a foolproof way to insure against future dead links. However, the option to enter a URL into the uploader interface and have it pull the image automatically would be great. No extra steps needed (saving the file, uploading it, and deleting it afterwards). Plus, this will let you upload animated GIFs from iOS provided you have the link. Saving GIFs to the camera roll only keeps the first frame.

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from mima:

what about uploading other documents? I have tried to upload a excel sheet (as both xls and zip) with no luck. The excel is a basic lights replacement and price calculator.

This is on the to do list!

Quoted from flynnibus:

Nope, sorry.

Quoted from Crash:

Robin wants to keep everything cached on the Pinside server, which is a foolproof way to insure against future dead links. However, the option to enter a URL into the uploader interface and have it pull the image automatically would be great. No extra steps needed (saving the file, uploading it, and deleting it afterwards). Plus, this will let you upload animated GIFs from iOS provided you have the link. Saving GIFs to the camera roll only keeps the first frame.

Yes. But you are only uploading your own photos, right? Not random content from the web to which you don't own the copyrights? Keep in mind that you are legally responsible for the content you post (as is explained in our site rules).

Direct hotlinking images from other sites may be handy but is also a recipe for dead links. We are trying to avoid those as we plan to be around in 10 yrs. Will Photobucket be?

The Pinside upload feature is mainly meant for uploading *your own* photos of your games, tech question, game rooms, pinball event pics, Stern factory tours etc etc. stuff that will still matter to pinball fans in 10yrs from now. I don't see much added value of an upload from URL feature other than having to host a boatload of non pinball related pics on our server. Also do keep in mind that storage and hosting is not free so please upload responsibly.

#18 10 years ago

Linking from other servers can be useful. For example, using gifsoup.com to show a playing technique, a DMD problem, etc vs. posting a link where YouTube may or may not work for some people.

#19 10 years ago

As web matures... links have become more stable as well. As for the dead-content - the relevancy of content expires with age as well. if it's important, the source content tends to be treated as such as well

I can say the #1 problem I've experienced loading pages on pinside has always been in loading the uploaded content.

Plus, uploaded content is so constrained with the site's options for resolution, size, etc. I'd much prefer a scaled preview, and the ability to load a full res image.

#20 10 years ago

I noticed that when I drag and drop pictures to upload the thumbnails don't show up, but when I edit the post, I see thumbnails. It would be nice to have the thumbnails show up when images are initially uploaded so we can know which one is which when writing posts.

#21 10 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

d) Our whole site now supports SSL (HTTPS) including our CDN! Woohoo!

I just noticed that when I go to https://www.pinside.com it redirects to http://pinside.com. Shouldn't it stay in SSL mode?

#22 10 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

As web matures... links have become more stable as well. As for the dead-content - the relevancy of content expires with age as well. if it's important, the source content tends to be treated as such as well

I'm not sure I agree. Maybe for news sites etc, but a 2002 thread about fixing an Addams Family power driver (with photos) is just as relevant today as it was the day it got posted.

Quoted from flynnibus:

I can say the #1 problem I've experienced loading pages on pinside has always been in loading the uploaded content. Plus, uploaded content is so constrained with the site's options for resolution, size, etc. I'd much prefer a scaled preview, and the ability to load a full res image.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean? Are you still seeing problems retrieving images since we switched image hosting to S3? We already have scaled previews (displayed at post width) sizes and full size images (after click) for all images.

Quoted from steve1515:

I noticed that when I drag and drop pictures to upload the thumbnails don't show up, but when I edit the post, I see thumbnails. It would be nice to have the thumbnails show up when images are initially uploaded so we can know which one is which when writing posts.

Thanks for the feedback, I seem unable to replicate that issue here. I'm seeing this after a drag/drop:

Screenshot 2013-12-03 09.33.11.pngScreenshot 2013-12-03 09.33.11.png

Although I just found out that the problem does exist for PNG image uploads.

#23 10 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

I seem unable to replicate that issue here. I'm seeing this after a drag/drop

Hmm... I just tried it again and I'm still getting the same problem. This was in Firefox 25.0 with a JPG file. What browser did you try it with?

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from steve1515:

Hmm... I just tried it again and I'm still getting the same problem. This was in Firefox 25.0 with a JPG file. What browser did you try it with?

I'm using Firefox 25.0.1 and it works fine for me : drag&drop is working perfectly
    This is a great improvement Robin. Thanks.

#25 10 years ago

I just upgraded to Firefox 25.0.1 to try it out. It still fails on jpg files. Interestingly though, it does work with png files.

missing_pic2.pngmissing_pic2.png

#26 10 years ago
    Quoted from steve1515:

I just noticed that when I go to https://www.pinside.com it redirects to http://pinside.com. Shouldn't it stay in SSL mode?

One other thing that I notieced and may not be easily correctable...
    When someone posts a link to Pinside itself. The link is an absolute reference. So if they post it with http and I click it when browsing the https site, I will be switched to the http site. Perhaps the Pinside links should all be automatically changed to be relative so users stay on the http or https site that they are using.

#27 10 years ago

I'm not sure it's related to the new upload system, but all my images have disappeared in the first post of this thread :
    http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images

When I click on an image link (at the end of the 1st post; this one for example), I get "Pinside image server error!".

#28 10 years ago

I see that the Profile Story editor has been updated/changed.

The Good News
    - I was able to upload a jpg file at the bottom of the editor.

The Bad News
    - I can no longer edit or add any Text to my story.
    - I can't insert the uploaded jpg into my story.
    - The editor Save and Cancel buttons are non functional.
    - The text frames now scroll behind the editor window making editing non functional.

I've tried both IE and Firefox with the same results.

#29 10 years ago

Text issue fixed yet? Still getting "mandatory parameter text not specified" when posting only an image.

#30 10 years ago

Sometimes (most of the time) I don't get the upload dialog at all - see link for screen shot image as I can't current upload to this post - using Windows 7 64bit and IE v11 (I know, I know)...

it does display the dialog sometimes however...

http://members.shaw.ca/junkuser1988/pinside/pinside.jpg

#31 10 years ago

IE is so terribly broken I don't think Robin has much reason to support it. Switch to Chrome.

"Don't torture yourself. You should know better!"
    ~Morticia Addams

#32 10 years ago
    Quoted from TeeJayN:

I see that the Profile Story editor has been updated/changed.
    The Good News
    - I was able to upload a jpg file at the bottom of the editor.
    The Bad News
    - I can no longer edit or add any Text to my story.
    - I can't insert the uploaded jpg into my story.
    - The editor Save and Cancel buttons are non functional.
    - The text frames now scroll behind the editor window making editing non functional.
    I've tried both IE and Firefox with the same results.

Really sorry, it appears that I pushed some updates too soon (darn source control software). You experienced my unfinished story editor and that's the reason things were all funky.

The good news is that the story editor was essentially finished this weekend, which means it's now available again and should work (let's called it "in beta"). I still need to add the "story images" box to all story pages though, coming soon.

Quoted from Crash:

Text issue fixed yet? Still getting "mandatory parameter text not specified" when posting only an image.

Nope sorry, issue still open.

Quoted from LongJohns:

Sometimes (most of the time) I don't get the upload dialog at all - see link for screen shot image as I can't current upload to this post - using Windows 7 64bit and IE v11 (I know, I know)...
    it does display the dialog sometimes however...
    http://members.shaw.ca/junkuser1988/pinside/pinside.jpg

I'm afraid Pinside's support for IE is at an all time low at the moment. Not my fault when Microsoft decided to only develop IE for Windows. The main problem is this: I have no computers to test this on, IE only runs on Windows and I only have an old Windows XP laptop.

I sometimes use Browserstack.com to try and keep the site IE-friendly (or at least working) but to be honest, testing IE is a huge pain for a one-man development team

Quoted from steve1515:

I just upgraded to Firefox 25.0.1 to try it out. It still fails on jpg files. Interestingly though, it does work with png files.

Sorry this issue is still open.

#33 10 years ago

Think I found an issue with image uploading:

Here's how to reproduce the problem

Go into a thread and prepare a post and upload a picture but don't submit your post because maybe you changed your mind.

Now go to a totally different thread.

Now make just a text post.

Your new post gets submitted with the image from the previous post

#34 10 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

I'm not sure I understand what you mean? Are you still seeing problems retrieving images since we switched image hosting to S3? We already have scaled previews (displayed at post width) sizes and full size images (after click) for all images.

Thx - I didn't notice the full sized images under click because so many seem to just open the shadowbox view with the same size image. I did eventually find some larger

I'm not a fan of the 'load images as you scroll' through a thread.. but I can understand why some may like that train of thought.

#35 10 years ago

This post throws the image server error with both pictures.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/creature-hologram-mod/page/3#post-534979

#36 10 years ago

still see sporatic threads where images don't load.. direct links don't work either.

Example: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fishtales-parting-out-parts-4-sale/page/3

#37 10 years ago

Yay more problems! When uploading often the thumbnails in the blue uploader box are wrong, but the pictures are correct when making the post.

#38 10 years ago

im having all the above image upload probs

1 week later
    #39 10 years ago

Currently, I can't upload images. The box/buttons don't even show up under the "ADD IMAGES/FILES TO POST" text. IE8, and no I don't have a choice to upgrade or use another browser.

#41 10 years ago

I put up a for sale ad last night and had to use firefox.

#42 10 years ago

ok testing upload with ie 11 64 bit sys
    drag and drop did not work but man did

157053.jpg157053.jpg IMG_0001.JPGIMG_0001.JPG
    3 weeks later
    #43 10 years ago

Sorcerer 001-353.JPGSorcerer 001-353.JPGSorcerer 002-890.JPGSorcerer 002-890.JPGSorcerer 011-955.JPGSorcerer 011-955.JPG

#44 10 years ago

I'm trying to upload images to my Gameroom user's room for the first time. It seems I'm limited to 30 photos for a slideshow, heck I might need 200 photos per album, lol. I also don't know if what I'm uploading is posting. The thumbnails are there and the slideshow works, but the first sentence when I click to view the photos is "Eric_Bentsen has not uploaded any gameroom images to the Pinside." Maybe there is a "Post" button that's missing somewhere in my Firefox browser, that could happen.

I would like to add hundreds of photos, but I'll keep them on my MySpace for now, lol.

#45 10 years ago

I'm still trying to complete my Profile Story.
    I can add/edit/save text.
    I uploaded a .jpg file that I want to use in my story.
    But clicking on the box under the .jpg thumbnail to add it to my story appears to do nothing.
    What am I missing?

#46 10 years ago

Still waiting for the feature to enable adding some other documents then images to a post (pdf, word, excel etc)
    When will that be the headline of the day?

/mima

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/image-uploading-coming-back-soon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.