• Latest reply 9 years ago by jlm33
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

45.JPG
44.JPG
There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 9 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Crank it up man...Times 4!

Blackened is awesome. Just got the pin yesterday, and this was NOT typical, but got 77 Million+ on Blackened and 136+ Million overall. The lighting is amazing.

During Blackened (Quick pic during gameplay so sorry it's blurry)
44.JPG44.JPG

45.JPG45.JPG

#52 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Why? There's a wizard mode, if you're looking for an objective aim for that.

I think the idea he's trying to express. In Metallica you hit the coffin or the snake or the ramps x number of times to start something. I am not sure there is a story behind this. I mean it's one thing in AcDc where there is a bell here or TNT or Train there. I get that it's not a story just a group of targets.

But on IM (I think) it's trying to narrate a story. I know in the abstract it's just a bunch of targets (Drones, Monger, Iron Man) but IMO they mean something are part of a story.

I am trying to understand what a Snake and Coffin and Sparky have to so with CIU modes. I understand maybe these things are part of Metallica songs, but I'm a casual fan ('Enter Sandman' maybe few other songs) I just don't get a story arc that leads to CIU.

#53 9 years ago

There is no "story arc", it's not a narrative pin. It's got a theme, and modes, but it's not really "mode based" like plenty of games. If you prefer that style that's fine, I like them myself. But there are clear objectives, you can approach the game with goals in mind other than pure scoring. It's really somewhere in between AC/DC and more traditional mode games that way.

Collect the band members to start Blackened is an objective. Start the various CIU modes is an objective. Finish them for End of the Line is an objective. "Finish these modes to start wizard mode" is pretty classic gameplay, even if it's not quite as explicit as some.

Most games based on movies are going to try and tell the movie's story in some way I guess, and that's cool, but I don't always need that. I'm more interested in whether or not it feels immersive and fun, not necessarily getting from point A to point B.

#54 9 years ago

There is no story arc to Metallica. It isn't a linear "save the princess" type of game. It's an in-your-face bash fest with multiple modes, mini-wizard modes and a full blown wizard mode where you use strategy to maximize score. Metallica is not for you if you like to play along a predetermined path to finish a "story."

As far as crank it up (CIU) is concerned, the default starts at 15 shots (I believe) to the four "main" shots - crosses, sparky, coffin and snake to unlock CIU. All but the coffin shots can be earned elsewhere on the playfield. Crank it up (CIU) is a mini wizard mode (4 different CIUs) where you are building the jackpot and trying to cash in on it. Building the jackpot is done differently for each of the 4 CIUs. At certain points, you can either take the jackpot, or press your luck to keep increasing it. A great risk/reward here.

In addition, you have the new band member mode (blackened), lady justice mode (ramp combos), seek and destroy mini wizard mode, fuel mode, and graveyard, sparky, coffin and snake multiballs, among other things I'm forgetting.

What I love about Metallica is that you can play it however you want. You can go for CIUs, band member mode, seek and destroy, etc. There is no predetermined path that you need to take. Not being a linear "battle for the kingdom" type game is a strength -- not a weakness -- which is why this game would do well in a lineup of LOTRs, MMs, AFMs, TOTANs, etc.

#55 9 years ago
Quoted from S37VEN:

What I love about Metallica is that you can play it however you want. You can go for CIUs, band member mode, seek and destroy, etc. There is no predetermined path that you need to take.

That's basically Lyman's philosophy in a nutshell, multiple ways to approach and play a game. You can do that with a mode based narrative game, see The Shadow for example (a Lyman favorite for that reason), but it's nice to have variety.

#56 9 years ago

Blackened happens with all 4 members right? Still haven't got it. I kept picking fade to black CIU thinking it was going to get darker.

#57 9 years ago

Both are great games, but I would go MET as it has deeper rules and better art...

#58 9 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Blackened happens with all 4 members right? Still haven't got it. I kept picking fade to black CIU thinking it was going to get darker.

FTB does get darker as you progress and build the jackpot and trigger switches (Prem/LE spinners really help here). I do not yet know the difference in fading effects between FTB and Blackened as I have not yet gotten to blackened even though I lowered the initial pick requirement from 2 to 1. I find that using multiballs to get light the picks is a big help.

#59 9 years ago
Quoted from S37VEN:

FTB does get darker as you progress and build the jackpot and trigger switches (Prem/LE spinners really help here). I do not yet know the difference in fading effects between FTB and Blackened as I have not yet gotten to blackened even though I lowered the initial pick requirement from 2 to 1. I find that using multiballs to get light the picks is a big help.

Really? WTF maybe I was hitting the wrong shots or something...but I've done FTB a bunch and never noticed anything; I'll have to play better.

Blackened is a bitch. I've had some semi long games and not gotten to it. Especailly when every multiball you gotta go for them for add a ball & X2 score.

#60 9 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Really? WTF maybe I was hitting the wrong shots or something...but I've done FTB a bunch and never noticed anything; I'll have to play better.

According to your collection you have a Met Pro. It doesn't have the GI effects, so you'll never notice what he's talking about, it's only the Prem/LE LED GI that do it.

#61 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

According to your collection you have a Met Pro. It doesn't have the GI effects, so you'll never notice what he's talking about, it's only the Prem/LE LED GI that do it.

Ah ok...I had considered that it was a prem/LE feature but I thought I heard people talking aboot it that had Pros.
Thanks for clearing it up.

Quoted from stevevt:

True...no fading on the Pro.
But after you get the 15 million bonus for getting to Level 2 in FTB on the Pro, all of the GI turns off completely for the rest of the mode.

And thank you.

#62 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

But after you get the 15 million bonus for getting to Level 2 in FTB on the Pro, all of the GI turns off completely for the rest of the mode.

#63 9 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

Huh, that's cool that it at least does something. Man, if you're playing in the dark though, doesn't that totally bone you? The Prem effect at least gives you the blue light to see by.

#64 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Man, if you're playing in the dark though, doesn't that totally bone you?

Sure does.

Same deal if you're playing at a friend's house with some room lighting and you're clearly going to take down your friend's GC score and he clumsily bumps into the light switch at just the right moment.

Not that I know what that's like or anything.

I actually can't complain, because I've been known to do the same thing when people get to Strobe MB on AFM for the first time. You know, so they can enjoy it more.

#65 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Man, if you're playing in the dark though, doesn't that totally bone you?

One of the things I noticed that "should" be "fixed" is getting an EB in multiball runs the lighting for EB and shuts the GI off leaving you in the dark. I mean maybe it will be changed, but you're getting an EB so mayeb that's the way they want it.

#66 9 years ago

It is kinda ironic that we spend all this time and money on Herg's boards to get our LEDs to fade like the original incandescents did, and now we have a game where the LEDs fade just fine, but they can't fade the incandescents.

#67 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

now we have a game where the LEDs fade just fine, but they can't fade the incandescents.

On the Stern Pro, they're controlling the GI using a mechanical relay rather than TRIACs. It's cheaper, but they can't switch nearly as fast as a TRIAC. There's nothing to do about it from software, but I would still consider the "full off while playing" a bug. I agree, it sucks, but conveniently for them, it sets the Premium game apart nicely. It's the one feature that makes me consider upgrading from my Pro.

#68 9 years ago
Quoted from herg:

On the Stern Pro, they're controlling the GI using a mechanical relay rather than TRIACs. It's cheaper, but they can't switch nearly as fast as a TRIAC. There's nothing to do about it from software, but I would still consider the "full off while playing" a bug. I agree, it sucks, but conveniently for them, it sets the Premium game apart nicely. It's the one feature that makes me consider upgrading from my Pro.

It's the reason I decided I don't want a Pro. I don't even like the hammer, and the other stuff is cool but not game changers for me. But I just don't want to give up cool dynamic lighting. On the prowl now, who knows, could have one this weekend,

#69 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I think the idea he's trying to express. In Metallica you hit the coffin or the snake or the ramps x number of times to start something. I am not sure there is a story behind this. I mean it's one thing in AcDc where there is a bell here or TNT or Train there. I get that it's not a story just a group of targets.
But on IM (I think) it's trying to narrate a story. I know in the abstract it's just a bunch of targets (Drones, Monger, Iron Man) but IMO they mean something are part of a story.
I am trying to understand what a Snake and Coffin and Sparky have to so with CIU modes. I understand maybe these things are part of Metallica songs, but I'm a casual fan ('Enter Sandman' maybe few other songs) I just don't get a story arc that leads to CIU.

Exactly!

#70 9 years ago

Both are great games.
Slight personnal preference for Met Pro over IM (Artwork, shot map - love inline drop targets - and deeper ruleset)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 12.95
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 149.00
7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 24.95
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 25.50
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/im-vs-metallica-pro/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.