24%
  • LOTR 73 votes
    76%

(96 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

online_poll_graphic.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Which is the better pin to complete my collection?

#2 10 years ago

Depends if you like flow and speed (IM) or if you like stop and go and depth (LOTR). You really can't go wrong with either game.

#3 10 years ago

IM - you need a game that will destroy you in minutes.

#4 10 years ago

nice collection. what BackFlipper said.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from ScottinSGFNY:

He already has Tron,ACDC and TZ really? Id go with LOTR

Edit: this poll isnt which game is better folks.. its which game is better to complete his collection

#6 10 years ago

LOTR all the way

#7 10 years ago

Add a POLL!!!!!!!

online_poll_graphic.jpgonline_poll_graphic.jpg

#8 10 years ago

No question LOTR by a mile. I don't dislike IM at all but no where close to the pin LOTR is. Not even same ball park IMO.

#10 10 years ago

LOTR

very much like both.

#12 10 years ago

IM with that collection

#13 10 years ago

Since basically everyone is just throwing out a machine without explaining why, I'd suggest that by examining the games you have, the game that you would truly need to complete your collection is:

X-Files

#14 10 years ago

X-files is a respectable option. But looking at your collection, I would strongly recommend Shaquille Attack.

#15 10 years ago

IM to complete your collection.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

Since basically everyone is just throwing out a machine without explaining why

I'll give an explanation to my choice. I could fire up 15-20 games on IM and still want to play more. After a game of LOTR I rarely had a desire to press start right after the game was over. IM has the same kind of pull on me that ACDC does in that I want to press Start right away after a good or bad game.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

Since basically everyone is just throwing out a machine without explaining why, I'd suggest that by examining the games you have, the game that you would truly need to complete your collection is:
X-files

I'll give you another explanation to show the other side of the coin. LOTR has some of the best call outs and sounds in all of pinball. The layout of LOTR is top notch combining some stop and go with flow. Ring shot is one of the coolest in pinball. Rule set is one of the deepest in pinball (opposite of IM here). They are able to perfectly integrate the theme into the game in LOTR giving it a special feel and look.

IM has a very basic and somewhat uninspiring rule set. Having one unreachable mode is not what I am referring to when I say deep rule set. Fun and fast but still not enough substance to compete with LOTR as an all around pin IMO. Goes to show that we all have our own tastes. There is no argument that would make me for one second believe that IM is half the game LOTR is.

#18 10 years ago

Two very different games that are hard to compare.

One is very much in your face. It fights you back in a big way. It challenges you. You really feel like you are fighting to stay alive. Fast pin, with short ball times. You are constantly on edge. I'm pretty sure with that explanation you know which one I'm talking about.

The other one is a long journey, with long ball times to match. You aren't constantly on your toes like the other pin. In fact, you can make a quick run to the kitchen to grab a snack while the ball is making it's way down a certain path.

One has an easy to grasp ruleset, that makes things sound relatively easy to achieve for the big points. But actually executing it is a completely different story. This pin has the best "just one more game" pull to it of any pin that I've ever owned.

The other has what I consider to be the best "deep" ruleset, with tons of nuance, of any pin.

The other one is such a long journey, that when you are done playing, you are not inclined to push the start button again for awhile.

Both have excellent sound packages, but LOTR does have some of the best call outs ever put in a pin.

One has great flow, the other has the paths of the dead.

Both have a Wizard mode that is extremely hard to get to. One being more difficult than the other, and I bet a lot of people don't know which one that is!

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Both have a Wizard mode that it extremely hard to get to. One being more difficult than the other, and I bet a lot of people don't know which one that is!

On factory settings I bet more people have seen Valinor as opposed to Do or Die Multiball. So I know exactly which pin you are talking about.

#20 10 years ago

Agreed. Do or die multiball is likely more of a unicorn than valinor. I claim to have been close to the latter, not the former.

#21 10 years ago

You need to make room for both. Some days we want to drive the fast Ferrari other days just take out the Benz to cruise. Yes unfortunately another car analogy.

#22 10 years ago

You could get with this or you could get with that…

#23 10 years ago

Terrible poll: your collection will never be "complete" .

And both games are awesome, and completely different.

#24 10 years ago

LOTR you already have a Borg

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

In fact, you can make a quick run to the kitchen to grab a snack while the ball is making it's way down a certain path.

Complete BS

#26 10 years ago

Just played 6 games of IM today. LOTR 6 games would be an all day affair ....really depends on what type of player you are. IM kills me in 5 to 10 min tops . LOTR had gotten to be a 15-20 min game minimum on factory settings 3 ball.

#27 10 years ago

Why not then get something like Paragon... it will destroy you in seconds

I own Paragon, IM, LoTR and others... buy what you like, can afford, and is available! The holy trinity of collecting!

#28 10 years ago

LOTR all the way.

As far as it goes for ball times don't let that scare you off or be a deciding factor, hell if I'm paying quite a bit for a game I'd like to enjoy it as much as possible so bring on those long enjoyment games rather then 3 minute quickies. When I want a quickie, I'll ask for sex

#29 10 years ago

Starting to sound as if people either have ADHD or don't like playing pinball. Long games are not a bad thing. If you don't have time for a longer game just play another. I don't know how a collection could be complete without both pins and you could argue just the two pins is a great collection alone.

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from captkirk:

kirk, how about a STTNG : P

seriously, i prefer LOTR its just an overall better game for me. most of your collection is flow, so try something different.

#31 10 years ago

The choice is what will compliment your collection. Comparing the games is futile as the games are nowhere near each other in gameplay, speed, type of story, rule depth, sound track, ball time, etc. In fact they are almost complete opposites. I would not even suggest which is "better". I own both and they are awesome in their own unique ways.

You have fast potentially brutal games TRON and ACDC

You have mode based games TZ and SM

IM is more in the TRON and ACDC camp and closer to TRON. The rules are very basic, but extremely fun and it provides a rush when you play it with lights, explosions and missiles going off.

You don't quite have a game like LOTR which is an epic game with arguably one of the most challenging rulesets and hardest wizard modes to reach. LOTR has consistently been mentioned as one of the greatest rulesets. The interesting thing here is that as hard as it is to reach Valinor, I think completing Jericho or reaching Do or Die Multiball in IM ranks up there as extremely tough.

LOTR is a great solo game if you have lots of time on your hands. The biggest downfall IMO of LOTR is that it does not have multiplayer appeal and does not have that I gotta play it once more feeling. After a 45 minute game on LOTR you are ready to do something else. If you have multiple people on the game it takes way too long. You have the same potential problems on TZ and SM.

IM is a great game to play with friends and solo. It is addicting. But you have that with TRON and ACDC.

I think what it boils down to is this:

If you like long stories and have lots of solo time to play pinball, get LOTR. There is way more to do. If you are a now now now action type, or a social person with lots of friends that come by to play pinball, get IM.

But neither game is "better" than the other.

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from jamespin:

Starting to sound as if people either have ADHD or don't like playing pinball. Long games are not a bad thing. If you don't have time for a longer game just play another. I don't know how a collection could be complete without both pins and you could argue just the two pins is a great collection alone.

I agree with this. While LOTR was in my collection (don't worry, it will return), I would just pick a different game if time was a factor. Not because they took forever, but they are longer than other games, and it was a quest. I would want to at least get to DTR, which usually meant a few games for me. If I was in a hurry but wanting to play I had Tron to slap me in the face.

But on to the original question. I love LOTR, so of course I will say that. But these 2 games are so different that it is a matter of what style game you want to bring in. IM is flowier and faster. It is probably a bit smoother. While LOTR is an adventure with tons to see.

If you go LOTR there are a few tweaks. On factory settings Fellowship multiball is much too easy to start. That was the sacrificial "easy so people can get multiball in an arcade" mode. So toughen that up. Make sure the magnet works, otherwise DTR is boring and mode starts send the ball down to you in the dark. Finally shut off Bash Balrog (I think it is off by default in the Directors Cut settings.

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from pinballcorpse:

The choice is what will compliment your collection. Comparing the games is futile as the games are nowhere near each other in gameplay, speed, type of story, rule depth, sound track, ball time, etc. In fact they are almost complete opposites. I would not even suggest which is "better". I own both and they are awesome in their own unique ways.
You have fast potentially brutal games TRON and ACDC
You have mode based games TZ and SM
IM is more in the TRON and ACDC camp and closer to TRON. The rules are very basic, but extremely fun and it provides a rush when you play it with lights, explosions and missiles going off.
You don't quite have a game like LOTR which is an epic game with arguably one of the most challenging rulesets and hardest wizard modes to reach. LOTR has consistently been mentioned as one of the greatest rulesets. The interesting thing here is that as hard as it is to reach Valinor, I think completing Jericho or reaching Do or Die Multiball in IM ranks up there as extremely tough.
LOTR is a great solo game if you have lots of time on your hands. The biggest downfall IMO of LOTR is that it does not have multiplayer appeal and does not have that I gotta play it once more feeling. After a 45 minute game on LOTR you are ready to do something else. If you have multiple people on the game it takes way too long. You have the same potential problems on TZ and SM.
IM is a great game to play with friends and solo. It is addicting. But you have that with TRON and ACDC.
I think what it boils down to is this:
If you like long stories and have lots of solo time to play pinball, get LOTR. There is way more to do. If you are a now now now action type, or a social person with lots of friends that come by to play pinball, get IM.
But neither game is "better" than the other.

#34 10 years ago

I call LOTR "neglectful father" for short (at least in my own head... ).

I can play a game of Paragon, IM, STTNG, Atlantis and not have to worry about ignoring the kids for what seems like an hour.

So there's that in favor of IM

#35 10 years ago

Some people have a sense of humor, some I guess don't.

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from captkirk:

With your collection: IM. A shorter rule base game will balance the depth of SM, TZ and ACDC. You're comparing the best short game of all time with the best long game. What do you want? Either one will tip the scales in your case.

#37 10 years ago

Whoa, whoa, whoa!

I think you might want to check auto-correct on your device.

Somehow it inserted "complete" for "continue" in your original post.

#38 10 years ago

Are you kidding? LOTR has been keeping a rule as king while IM gets no love.

#39 10 years ago

LOTR for your current collection.

#40 10 years ago

Since it seems you collection is based upon what's popular and not what you think is good by what you've played. I'd go with neither. You need a B and C list title in there. Break up the cookie cutter bullshit, that every collection has.

Plus, you can't have people tell you what you should buy. Only you can make that decision. I wouldn't even ask for opinions. Go to shows, go to other peoples houses that DON"T have cookie cutter collections. Play some stuff that thinks outside of the "box" of pinball collection (same old Stern and B/W stuff). Buy something close to you just because it's cheap. You'd be surprised how fun games are that you would never expect to be fun. This poll is pointless.

Do I like Fruity pebbles or Frankenberry better? Poll coming soon. You help me decide. Or even better. How about between, Chocolate wheaties, and strawberry chex? Which one would I like better, if either existed. Poll to follow soon.

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Since it seems you collection is based upon what's popular and not what you think is good by what you've played. I'd go with neither. You need a B and C list title in there. Break up the cookie cutter bullshit, that every collection has.
Plus, you can't have people tell you what you should buy. Only you can make that decision. I wouldn't even ask for opinions. Go to shows, go to other peoples houses that DON"T have cookie cutter collections. Play some stuff that thinks outside of the "box" of pinball collection (same old Stern and B/W stuff). Buy something close to you just because it's cheap. You'd be surprised how fun games are that you would never expect to be fun. This poll is pointless.
Do I like Fruity pebbles or Frankenberry better? Poll coming soon. You help me decide. Or even better. How about between, Chocolate wheaties, and strawberry chex? Which one would I like better, if either existed. Poll to follow soon.

Wow, you are more bitter than a kale smoothie my friend. Forcing your opinion down his throat make you feel good? Nothing wrong with asking owners which game they prefer before pulling the trigger. Calling his great collection "cookie cutter" just makes you sound jealous. What's wrong enjoying games and collecting games everyone loves? There's a reason certain games end up in most collection. And it's not because people lack originality, it's because they are usually the BEST pins. I see guys all the time chasing rare / unique arcade games only to realize why they are rare - because the game sucks. That's why they never made many. Your negativity is of no help / use here. Good day.

#42 10 years ago

I get really tired of hearing over and over how LOTR plays too long. Come play mine and you'll change your tune...

I am a good player(sub 220 on WPPR) and know LOTR well. I played 4 games straight on my LOTR yesterday and best game was 14M. Then I finally got about 22M on the fifth game and it felt like a victory. It's all about the set-up. With my current set-up, a game of 50 - 60M is just crushing it and that game probably only lasts about 10-12 minutes. Typical games on mine last about 5-6 minutes.

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I get really tired of hearing over and over how LOTR plays too long. Come play mine and you'll change your tune...
I am a good player(sub 220 on WPPR) and know LOTR well. I played 4 games straight on my LOTR yesterday and best game was 14M. Then I finally got about 22M on the fifth game and it felt like a victory. It's all about the set-up. With my current set-up, a game of 50 - 60M is just crushing it and that game probably only lasts about 10-12 minutes. Typical games on mine last about 5-6 minutes.

I think it is generally known that LOTR can be a long playing game. Even at 6 minutes on LOTR, that is probably double the average game on IM on factory.

You are 100% correct that with set up, any game can be made as brutal (or easy for that matter) as desired.

The point is that one "could" be invested in a marathon game in LOTR over IM. In 3500 games on IM ( not all mine) the audits show only 2 games lasting over 15 minutes. And those were games I completed Jericho and I felt like a pinball god.

In contrast on LOTR in 1100 games, 115 of them are longer than 15 minutes and I have several games lasting between 45 minutes to near 1.5 hours especially on Valinor quests. Does it happen all the time? Not even close. My LOTR kicks my butt plenty.

But there was a reason people back in the day were discussing cooling fan mods for LOTR flippers and why PL came up with the stronger coils. The game can be on the long side.

I don't think anything can be done (within reason) to make LOTR as brutal as IM.

And congrats on being in the WPPR 220 range. Awesome!

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Break up the cookie cutter bullshit, that every collection has.

Data East for the win!

#45 10 years ago

Why is long a bad thing? I'd rather get immersed in a game than have constant drains. Plus this is LOTR! It's based on a movie that is an epic journey...would be silly if it ended fast.

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Plus, you can't have people tell you what you should buy. Only you can make that decision. I wouldn't even ask for opinions.

Lol seems YOU are the one trying to tell him what he should get. Do you even listen to yourself sometimes??? Lol

#47 10 years ago

I'm not trying to tell him what to get, but when people ask what they should buy, and not knowing or playing either. Just sounds dumb. Since the dumb question was asked in the beginning, there was no harm in expanding the dumb options to a broader spectrum. Not telling him to take my suggestion either.

Was just a snarky way of telling him to be his own person and make up his own mind by playing stuff. It was my point from the beginning.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
$ 46.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

€ 7.50
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 25.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/im-vs-lotr-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.