Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by jayhawkai
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

Looking to add one or the other. Let's say the price and the condition is equal. 5k for argument sake. Price stability is important because I will need to use this machine to fund another purchase if needed as my pinball collection had a cost limit and not a machine limit. I would hope never to want either to leave if love it but maybe down the road use whichever to trade for the other.

#2 11 years ago

LOTR is far superior to IM

#3 11 years ago

Iron man due to shorter games

#4 11 years ago

im all day. don't know what people see in lotr.

#5 11 years ago
    Quoted from Tommi_Gunn:

im all day. don't know what people see in lotr.

Agreed 100%, but to each his own.

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

Well, that was insightful! Thanks for your opinion. I don't think that was his question, either.

IM is a very hard game to find right now, while there are a lot of LOTR's out there to be had (more competition at sale time). I've seen numerous LOTR's up for sale over the last year in my area, and Zero IM's. LOTR seems to have a steady demand though.

Bottom line IMO- both are great games and should hold their market value equally. Just buy the one you want the most and be done with it.

And for the record, IM is my favorite game and would be the last to leave in my collection (and I have a LOTR-LE).

#7 11 years ago

two completly different game.
    LOTR, one of the best rulesheet outhere and theme in a pin. long ball time, so much to do.

IM, fast game short ball time, nice looking machine and hard to fing right now, would like to have one in the future.

#8 11 years ago

I own both. Two completely different games and therefore fit well together in a small collection. For re-sale purposes, IM given the limited number (vs LOTR) made and it's popularity.

#9 11 years ago

IM.....I own both and IM has more games on it in 10 months than LOTR has in 7 years (ball times do affect that stat). Though owning LOTR for 7 years does say something about how good the game is

#10 11 years ago

LOTR is the more complete game. IM is plain fun and action packed... resale on either is pretty solid

#11 11 years ago

LoTR in all aspects of the game:
    -gameplay
    -build quality
    -resale value
    -ruleset
    -artwork

As for long ball times; they only occur once in awhile and/or you set up the pitch and outlanes easy. but because of its rule sheet, this is where the game shines - it takes you on a journey (one that no other pin can do) and there is SO MUCH to do that repetition and boredome are far and few between. I've had mine for 6 years, and after neglecting it for about 2 mos (cause of my new games) I played a bunch this weekend. I forgot how awesome the game is and it never grows old, even after 6 years. The game is a classic.

#12 11 years ago

IM. it's a brutal beast but such a fun game!

#13 11 years ago

Theres a huo IM on mrpinball.com for $4700obo somewhere in Florida if anyone is looking.

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from Max_Badazz:

IM.....I own both and IM has more games on it in 10 months than LOTR has in 7 years (ball times do affect that stat). Though owning LOTR for 7 years does say something about how good the game is

I could not have said it better.

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from Khabbi:

Well, that was insightful! Thanks for your opinion. I don't think that was his question, either.
    IM is a very hard game to find right now, while there are a lot of LOTR's out there to be had (more competition at sale time). I've seen numerous LOTR's up for sale over the last year in my area, and Zero IM's. LOTR seems to have a steady demand though.
    Bottom line IMO- both are great games and should hold their market value equally. Just buy the one you want the most and be done with it.
    And for the record, IM is my favorite game and would be the last to leave in my collection (and I have a LOTR-LE).

Lighten up Francis.

Jamespin you should buy both LOTR & IM

#16 11 years ago

Both are great games (I am happy and lucky to own both) but it really depends on what you are looking for.

If you want a short, brutal game that will likely make you a better player... play IM.

Even terrible and average players get something out of LoTR... usually a pity multiball or some such reward for games gone horribly wrong ( IM takes pity on no one). My 4 year old daughter likes LoTR the best right now out of my pinballs as she can start multiball .

Both have hard to achieve end goals, and I dare say that Do or Die multiball on IM is harder to achieve than Valinor as you have to make so many risky shots outside of multiball. That does not make it better, but I can't think of any other modes where NOBODY has ever claimed to make it to on stock settings. At least, nobody I know of.

I would say that IM is like a great pre-DMD game in terms of rules complexity, but somehow amped up on steroids. When describing IM to someone, saying it is like having an adrenaline syringe pumped into your brain is not far off from the truth. IM gets my heart racing in a manner that other games VERY rarely match, and it does so on a pretty consistent regular basis even after almost two years of ownership and regular play.

LoTR is the pinncacle of DMD heavy rules based pins. There is a lot to do; I do not play for Valinor but just see where the journey takes me every time. Unless you are a terrible player after owning this for a while an average "good" game will usually net you at least Fellowship Multiball, 1-2 two towers multiballs, and often RoTK multiball for a chance to Destroy the Ring (I am probably running about 40% on destroying the ring once activating this mode, I swear the flippers become weak on the very final shot ).

This is aside from starting at least several modes, possibly getting some bonus modes (gollum multibal, gifts from the elves etc...). There is a lot to see, and various ways to mix it up. However, there are no "good" short games on LoTR. A 4 minute game on LoTR gets you? A 4 minute game on IM can possibly get you into contention for a do or die shot... and the pressure is on .

That is enough typing for now... both are excellent games, in a sea of geat games to discover!

#17 11 years ago

If you get an IM, make sure you get the shaker motor. It's really well implemented with the gameplay and adds a whole dimension to it!

#18 11 years ago

thats like comparing the sun to the moon bro!! .

#19 11 years ago

I would say game times are a big concern here. LOTR is endless, and IM is quick. You might want to judge it on that.

#20 11 years ago

Ugh...can't stand LOTR, but then again, I was never a fan of the movies.

IM by a long shot if you're looking for that adrenaline rush. It's simple perfection.

#21 11 years ago

Close call for me. LOTR long ball times can be painful. IM is the complete opposite. Hard to compare to the two pins as they are so different. I've owned them both, love them both, miss them both. IM gets the adrenaline going like few other pins can, but LOTR can get the adrenaline going a bit too with some great call outs during TTT MB.

If I still had these both in my collection, I'm sure that IM would actually get more play because I'd have to be sure I had plenty of time before starting a game on LOTR.

#22 11 years ago

I think LOTR is one of the greatest pins ever. That said, I'm trying to trade it for an IM right now, which is a very good pin. Way different, and ultimately a lot less pin, but fun as hell. I want a different game after journeying to Valinor TWICE and having many an epic game. If I was rich with plenty of space I'd never let it go. But I've played more than my fair share of LOTR, and now someone else will get a magical game.

IM is harder to find right now. Many on route. I'm sure after IM has aged a couple more years they will be available fairly regularly. But they will hold their value and should increase as well.

LoTR is experiencing a renaissance, and for good reason. After 9 years its That Good...and that much better than nearly everything that's come after. With The Hobbit coming out it will be necessary for many to have the sweet HUO LoTR next to their NIB Hobbit. New pinheads will gravitate towards it. LOTR will continue to go up in value. Name a pin and the price it goes for and than ask yourself if that pin is better than LOTR. The answer is going to be, pound for pound, point for point, is going to be no more often than not.

And don't kid yourself by buying a "nice" routed game. If you can get a true HUO LOTR or IM, you should.

#23 11 years ago

IM fast and fun , not many around .

#24 11 years ago

LOTR is deep and fun.... I don't think I could ever part with mine. IM is slightly stripped down. It was produced when Stern was hanging on. I ultimately let IM go from my collection for new titles, regardless, the game is no joke. Still, Stern hit a home run with LOTR.

#25 11 years ago

Not even close, LOTR blows IM out of the water.

#26 11 years ago

LOTR for 2 hour games, story, and depth. IM for 2 minute games and sweaty palms. To each his own. I love them both, but you can't really compare the two (unless you just hate one game 'style' over the other).

-Wes

#27 11 years ago

Thanks for the input. I wasn't looking to really compare game play alone. I know they are in opposite spectrums as far as style. I really like both games a lot. I opted for the huo IM due to the fact my chance of finding another with under 300 plays with coin taker back box remote lighting and coin taker led kit. shaker motor and mckee topper in driving range would be impossible. One day lotr and I know it should be far easier to find.

Thanks!

#28 11 years ago

I'd like to see this on video.

#29 11 years ago

I like LOTR better

Both games are great though.

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

NOT !

#31 11 years ago

Both awesome and completely different games. The notion that one crushes the other is ridiculous.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/im-vs-lotr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.