IMGA0160.JPG
IMGA0150.JPG
IMGA0137.JPG
IMGA0136.JPG
image-851.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
IMG_8456.JPG
There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

I've noticed in a couple of different threads lately people saying they play their Avatar more than their IM. I have IM on my wishlist but have never played Avatar. Got me thinking a poll might be in order. Avatar has a crappy Pinside rating but some folks talk about how it is one of the most under appreciated games out there.

So, what say you?

IM all day long?
Avatar LE for a similar price to the IM?
Avatar Pro for the price savings with a similar fun factor?

#2 9 years ago

IM all day long.....but I will admit, that's because Avatar doesn't do it for me as a theme. The game is ok.

Disclaimer
I own an IM

#3 9 years ago

IM, all day, every day. Avatar is an under appreciated pin that I hate just on theme alone. I hated the movie. That ruins all the art and callouts for me. But I'll even play pins I hate once in a while. I find the big kinked staple at the right inlane distracting. The LE is nice enough, but again, theme. Usually I can get over a theme, but not in this case.

IM on the other hand is a gem (I own a VE). It is a rush of a game, and I find that in less than 10 minutes it can provide a couple (/ few) games that will end with complete satisfaction or abject failure. It is an intense game of extremes, and you always feel like you are about to be crowned King Of Pinball... right before you are thrown out into the streets with a bloody nose.

#4 9 years ago

Avatar pro all day long! Original custom speech by Quaritch, movie soundtrack, .. but I love the theme. LE adds less unless you like bling and a moving linkpod/stomping amp suit feet.
Iron man is also an ok game, but not liking the theme makes this choice easy for me

#5 9 years ago

Both are kick ass games. Both have the one ball ruleset which I love.

IM is action from the get go. Adrenalin overload.

AV LE. This is a game that seems under appreciated. Chrome package is the best that Stern have done as it is proper chrome not faux chrome as on Tron LE.

White ball for double scoring is pretty cool.

Call outs are way better than many of the more recent Sterns as it's great having custom speech from the guy in the movie.

Sounds are fantastic. Add mods like color dmd and it really pops.

And the LE is a real LE in that 250 makes it pretty rare. Right now it's very unloved but so was IM until people cottoned on and then everyone wants one.

And love the 3D backglass.

And 3 more movies coming out from 2017. Avatar will have it's day!

IMG_8456.JPGIMG_8456.JPG

#6 9 years ago

I was thinking too about Avatar, I've played it some but not with understanding the rules, few times I've played was just to flip the ball make some shots. its only a one ramp game which I usually dislike.

I already own IM so the question for me is Avatar pro at low $3's a good deal or is it better to find a Met pro for the low 4's?

I like Avatar theme and think it's art is nice, just wonder if it's as fun or as deep or as good as Met pro?

I don't really love Metallica as a theme but it's nice 2 ramp game with drop targets and Sparky toy is very cool.

IM is one of my favorite games and theme also so I'd take it over Avatar and Metallica.

#7 9 years ago

Is it possible to put ceramic ball and software from AV LE to Avatar PRO - and have double scoring system on AV PRO?

#8 9 years ago

I own both the Avatar Pro and IMVE - both are fun. IM is the better game... but that doesn't mean Avatar is bad.

I loaded my Avatar up with LED's, Mods, Blue DMD, Shaker, Upgraded speakers and sub - plus I added a white ball just for the fun of it. That really makes for some SUPER fast ball in play action for the lucky player that gets it. And NO extra points (which I like), just something fun and different.

Avatar is a great game, very under rated - but if I was forced to pick one or the other it would be IM. IM is also loaded with mods and speaker upgrades - it is a very fast pin that truly is a complete package - theme, game play, rules, sound... IMHO.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from Asylum:

plus I added a white ball just for the fun of it. That really makes for some SUPER fast ball in play action for the lucky player that gets it. And NO extra points (which I like), just something fun and different.

I did the exact same thing on my pro

@Squall: don't think it's possible, why would you want this anyway? It's a bad thing in my opinion to have random double scoring.

#10 9 years ago

I find Avatar MUCH more challenging than IM, but both are excellent games in a big or small collection. IM may get stale after you master the shots, but Avatar is NEVER easy.

I'm also a huge fan of shot multipliers, and there are few things better in pinball than starting Final Battle (basically starting every mode/multiball on one ball like Do or Die in IM) with all doublers lit and a roving 3x shot. Huge points for every shot. Lots of fun. Add in the LE's powerball and you could be looking at 30million+ jackpots.

Both have great sound packages (Avatar's Bomber Battle and Amp Suit modes sound awesome) and look great, but IM is definitely more approachable to a novice. The Monger is a great toy and the War Machine cannon is a real pants pooper if you don't know its gonna come flying back at you!

If it was my collection, Avatar LE all the way!

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from Squall:

Is it possible to put ceramic ball and software from AV LE to Avatar PRO - and have double scoring system on AV PRO?

No, the LE has programing that recognizes the white ball for double scoring. I have the LE and love it. A fast and fun game. A true LE with only 250 made.

#12 9 years ago

Great thread.
I bought an IronManVE. It can be fun but I found it mostly frustrating and aggravating most games.
I'm not that great of a player, so that might be part of it. Just wasn't enjoying owning it.
I sold it on a Saturday and picked up a HUO avatar LE on the following day and haven't ONCE regretted the "trade". In fact, I think AvatarLE is one of the favorites in my collection.
It has similar rules to IM where to get to wizard mode, it has to be done on one ball for the most part, but you can keep the ball in play long enough to sometimes make progress towards it.

Put LEDs in avatar [flashers, too] and the lightshow is amazing. with the glowing apron while navi ball is active. great sounds [real actor custom voices] and overall pin. It's a sleeper IMHO.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

Great thread.

Thanks. I wish I could play an Avatar nearby just to see for myself.

I liked the movie well enough but the overbearing emphasis on the mother earth theme and the obvious political emphasis was so obtrusive that I think it took away from the movie, imo. The special effects were amazing and I'm sure I'll see the upcoming movies and probably end up owning them to enjoy them in my theater.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from Squall:

There are hardware differences between the two and you can not load the LE software on a pro. Besides, the ceramic ball double-scoring was never thought through very well. Not only is it random which player gets it and when, but you can drain fast, get a ball save which kicks out a standard steel pinball, but keeps you in double scoring. I removed the ceramic ball from my LE which made it play a lot more balanced. I guess this is a non-issue if you tend to play single-player games alone, but in group play, it's a deal-killer.

To me, Avatar is a tougher game than IM. The games are too similar to have both unless they are in a large collection imo.

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

Thanks. I wish I could play an Avatar nearby just to see for myself.
I liked the movie well enough but the overbearing emphasis on the mother earth theme and the obvious political emphasis was so obtrusive that I think it took away from the movie, imo. The special effects were amazing and I'm sure I'll see the upcoming movies and probably end up owning them to enjoy them in my theater.

Look up my Avatar Club on Pinside, lots of talk and pictures there.

#16 9 years ago

Sell me your LOTR LE and you can buy both the IM and Avatar Le and decide for yourself(lol).

#17 9 years ago

I've owned both an IM and Avatar Pro for several years. I play and enjoy them both, though I probably enjoy the challenge of IM a bit more. But they are close. Once I fixed the drain problem dropping from the bumpers on Avatar, it became way more fun to play -- if you pick one up, make sure that countermeasure spring is installed in such a way to completely fix that drain issue. I suspect that issue is a big reason why Avatar took such a hit in reputation early on, and I'm not sure it ever fully recovered.

#18 9 years ago

Have a good friend with IMVE and AVLE.

He recently updated his AVLE with a LEDkit and it is a truely good pin. Music and callouts are top-notch and make it outstanding for Avatar fans.

IMVE is, like AVLE, also a fast pin with more or less easy ruleset.

I love them both. If I had to decide between the 2 it would be a close call but think the long playability is higher with the AVLE. But again, close call. Could be easily IM next time I think about it

#19 9 years ago

What's amazing about this thread is that IM is a top 30ish type pin and the Avatar Pro was 141 and LE was 150ish. Just goes to show how subjective that list is, I guess.

Quoted from stretch2:

Sell me your LOTR LE and you can buy both the IM and Avatar Le and decide for yourself(lol).

True (or at least close). I'm still kicking around your thoughts on that subject.

#20 9 years ago

Avatar all day for me. Iron Man is not a bad game at all, but Avatar has that link shot and the amp suit narrow shot, these are some of my favorite shots in all of pinball. The AMP suit is an awesome playfield toy and shot.

Both games will kick your ass too, so it's all good.

#21 9 years ago

Anything over Avatar anything, every day.

#22 9 years ago

Hard to look past some of the ultra cheap things on Avatar (like this $1.99 action figure) Makes IM seem like an LE image.jpgimage.jpg

#23 9 years ago

Im buy alot avatar is meh...

#24 9 years ago

IM has great call outs...
Hook up a shaker and an external sub and wow.....Prepare to be amazed....

#25 9 years ago

I own AVLE and IM , each with several mods . Both are fun but different , and if only buying one,
then play both . Keep whichever you like best!

#26 9 years ago

Anybody in North Jersey (Bergen County) have an Avatar LE??

#27 9 years ago

I was just debating this myself....I went with an IMVE in this round but an Avatar could very well be my next pin purchase. Oh...and I would be fine with a Pro version.

#28 9 years ago

Avatar as a pin = blah!!! (Wife & I loved the movie!) Quickest time for NIB(LE) purchase I owned and sold.

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Hard to look past some of the ultra cheap things on Avatar (like this $1.99 action figure) Makes IM seem like an LE

image.jpg 148 KB

The wedge leds coming out of the pop bumpers doesn't help that cause either

#30 9 years ago

Both are very good pins !!!

image.jpgimage.jpg image-851.jpgimage-851.jpg
#31 9 years ago

IM easily. That said, the more I play Avatar the better I like it. I love the pops sounds. I warmed up to it playing frequently at the PHOF, but it's still behind a truckload of other games for home ownership.

#32 9 years ago

Hard to look past some of the ultra cheap things on Avatar (like this $1.99 action figure) Makes IM seem like an LE

image.jpg 148 KB

But on the LE so nice to see a real metal apron

I see way more value funnily enough in AV LE than recent Sterns. But I must be in the minority but that is ok.

#33 9 years ago

I played a fair bit of Avatar when it came out on location, I really didn't like it but as time as passed I really want to give it another look at, don't know where they all went though, cant find any on location anymore..

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

What's amazing about this thread is that IM is a top 30ish type pin and the Avatar Pro was 141 and LE was 150ish. Just goes to show how subjective that list is, I guess.

It's only because people get hung up on preconceptions based on theme. Both games (along with BBH) were designed by the same team (Borg/Lopp/Sheats) and released in the same year (2010), designed with shorter ball times. Avatar shares the same 1-ramp design with BBH.

I really like that whole series of games. IM itself didn't even pick up steam until a couple years after release, and only recently has BBH gained appreciation after more players got to try the game and got over the theme as a result. Avatar will eventually gain more appreciation as well. IM is the best of the three, but IMO 2010 was a good year for Stern games.

1 week later
#36 9 years ago

Avatar is awesome. We have put over 5000 HUO plays on ours. Both games have great call outs. Disclaimer-avatar was our first pin so it will always be special.

#37 9 years ago

Hard to look past some of the ultra cheap things on Avatar (like this $1.99 action figure) Makes IM seem like an LE image.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

I agree and those pop caps yuck. That's why I did this to mine. Looks a whole lot better now.

IMGA0136.JPGIMGA0136.JPG
IMGA0137.JPGIMGA0137.JPG
IMGA0150.JPGIMGA0150.JPG
IMGA0160.JPGIMGA0160.JPG
IMGA0169.JPGIMGA0169.JPG

#38 9 years ago

I've got both pins and play avatar le twice as much.

#39 9 years ago

I've owned Avatar LE, IM and IM again. I now have Avatar again.

#40 9 years ago

IM. Nuf said.

#41 9 years ago

IM is far superior IMHO.

I really enjoyed Avatar also when playing it on location but it is no IM.

#42 9 years ago

I find IM to be a grind I find Avatar to be a battle. Don't know if that makes sense or not. Both are fun but for me I prefer Avatar. Both games really keep you on your toes though.

#43 9 years ago

Both great pins, I think it comes down to theme. Which theme do you prefer over the other?

#44 9 years ago

Both are great games and I flip back and forth on which I like more depending on my mood. Both were dogged on their release and got a bad rap. I think people began to realize these games are real special in the way they get your adrenaline pumping and I think a huge part of that is the way they build up as you work through the game. These two games along with Tron have the best sound package of any games out there IMO.

#45 9 years ago

Tie for me.

IM: better music and call outs
Avatar: far better Backglass... and I prefer this movie

Both are fast, unforgiving and challenging but a bit shallow.

1 month later
#46 9 years ago

Just want to bump this topic, because im really loving Avatar at the moment, and would really like to add one when the time is rite., Just wondering if theres a super big difference between the pro an LE besides price are there any LE owners wish they just got the pro? An does the Navi ball on the LE throw the game out when playing multi-player games to the point where players are getting lucky without any skill involved due to double scoring aspect?? cheers

#47 9 years ago

I own both an IM and Avatar LE. Absolutely love them both as they are challenging. Both games will "reward" you with a game or two of decent scores and then hand your ass to you in total embarrassment. It would be a hard choice for me to pick one over the other.

To the OP, best advice has already been given in this thread, somewhere above - find them in the wild and play them to see what you like best about them. Either way, you can't go wrong.

#48 9 years ago

I've owned both IM and Avatar LE too. Ramps are better in IM, but I prefer the sound, art and Amp Suit over IM and Iron Monger (did not care for placement)

#49 9 years ago

IM is better. The pop layout in Avatar is atrocious (spacing and location), but everything else is pretty good. IM is awesome all-around. That said I'd consider (briefly) trading for AvatarLE. If it was the right day I might do it.

#50 9 years ago

I enjoyed my AVLE for a while. But the code depth (and code bugs for that matter) make the game much less fun. Despite Avatar being a decent looking pin and layout, IM is still superior all around IMO.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

5,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Monrovia, MD
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 46.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 24.95
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

4,799 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Port Saint Lucie, FL
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/im-vs-avatar-vs-avatar-le and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.