Topic Stats

• 60 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by Sebastian88
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

mandarine.png

There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

I bought one of the very first IMs made and still have it in my game room. About 3000 plays on the machine so far. The game is still great and I still love it. Below are a few thoughts where the rules could be improved. Hopefully Stern tweaks the rules for us who bought the original when the VE comes out.

IM rules, as they are, are great, but somewhat shallow compared to something similar, like SM. In SM every character has 3 distinct modes (sandman, venom, goblin, doc ock). In IM only the IM targets have 3 distinct modes. For the others, there is only 1 mode each (whiplash, war machine and monger). Seems like they ran out of time?

I love IM, as it is fast and furious, but where it is lacking is in depth.

Another place that IM lacks in the rules is the non-character modes. SM has 6 of them (rescue MJ, bone saw, black suit MB, etc.) IM has only 1 (bogey).

The wizard modes in IM are decent, but a little too easy to get to. In comparison, I have yet to achieve superhero on my SM.

As far as the scoring, I think IM is balanced and nothing I can think of tweaking there. Just basically the depth problem is what I could see being improved.

I also have an avengers, but it is hard for me to compare that machine to IM since it plays so different. SM seems to have similar rules/objectives so that is why I compare the two.

Although, I supposedly "losing" about 1000$ of value on my IM machine due to this announcement from stern to remake games, I am glad they are doing it as it gets more great pinball machines out there and hopefully the rules will be upgraded on my machine.

#2 6 years ago

I believe the point of Ironman was to be simple and shallow, yet challenging. So challenging, that even great players have trouble reaching do or die mb. I'd like to see some Lyman polish and a ton of instant info added, but all in all, it is great as is.

#3 6 years ago

it is certainly challenging when you first get it. Once I figured out the shots I can get to do or die pretty consistently. It is hard for me to believe that they intentionally made 3 different modes for the iron man targets but only one for each of iron monger, war machine and whiplash. No way that was intentional. They stopped code updates when they saw the sales were so poor. Now that the game is getting a rework, they should finish it.

#4 6 years ago

It would be nice if we got an update, but I think we will just get some bug fixes. It would be cool if we got a new mode or something substantial.

#5 6 years ago

IM is almost perfect as it is, it should be left alone!!

#6 6 years ago

A better skill shot would be nice.

#7 6 years ago

I think it should have some sort of saved progression towards do or die multiball. Has anyone claimed that they got there (with the glass on)?

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

A better skill shot would be nice.

I agree, should be easy code fix, something like Tron or ST skill shot, a roll over light is not a skill shot,

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from leaffan67:

Has anyone claimed that they got there (with the glass on)?

I did it with the translite glass on.

#10 6 years ago

Ironman isn't designed for a deep rule set. It's way to drainy to have any deeper of rules then it already has.

#11 6 years ago

Better skill shot would be great also a left flipper button hold on plunge to lower the rear up post. This way players have control of it up or down. Maybe even a higher score if the rollover is hit with the post down.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Ironman isn't designed for a deep rule set. It's way to drainy to have any deeper of rules then it already has.

Exactly. The challenge with IM is simply keeping the ball in play! Anyone asking for deeper rules must have the outlanes closed and other tweaks to make it easier. I've played IM with highly national ranked players and they get beaten up as well. I've never heard anyone ask for deeper rules...

#13 6 years ago

Combo counter to light extra ball. Ball saver as a mystery award.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from jamescardona:

it is certainly challenging when you first get it. Once I figured out the shots I can get to do or die pretty consistently. It is hard for me to believe that they intentionally made 3 different modes for the Iron Man targets but only one for each of iron monger, war machine and whiplash. No way that was intentional. They stopped code updates when they saw the sales were so poor. Now that the game is getting a rework, they should finish it.

Do you have the outlanes closed? No one gets "do or die" consistently on my example...

#15 6 years ago

Making IM more like Spiderman would be a big mistake IMO. And if that is done, I'll be content to run the current code and never update the game.

The main thing I'd like that is lacking now is a real skill shot. In other words, disable the top post on the plunge.

#16 6 years ago

IM rules, as they are, are great, but somewhat shallow compared to something similar, like SM.

IM and Spidey aren't similar. You might say IM and CSI are similar. Or IM and TRS are similar. All three have rules written by Lonnie Ropp. But Spidey is nothing like IM. To get to the wiz mode on Spidey, you need to chop wood for at least half an hour. On IM, you can get to both wiz modes on one ball. That's the beauty of the game.

Asking for deeper rules on IM is like asking for deeper rules on BSD. Sure, it could be done. But why would you? It's already an awesome game. Don't fark with a good thing. Stern is doing the absolute minimum to get these games out. Buyers shouldn't expect extras.

#17 6 years ago

I've become a convert thanks to finding one in a movie theatre 6 weeks ago. Possibly a perfect location pin. As a pretty serious player, I love the game now and really wouldn't change much. It truly is a modern BSD, that's what I immediately came up with too. Short and simple and ball-busting. Love them both!! I got STTNG and WCS here for a more LOTR-style, wood-chopping campaign experience. Up to 101m, can't stop pressing Start!

#18 6 years ago

it is certainly challenging when you first get it. Once I figured out the shots I can get to do or die pretty consistently. It is hard for me to believe that they intentionally made 3 different modes for the Iron Man targets but only one for each of iron monger, war machine and whiplash. No way that was intentional. They stopped code updates when they saw the sales were so poor. Now that the game is getting a rework, they should finish it.

Getting to do or die is pretty meaningless. It means you have started each mode but failed to beat each mode on one ball. Come back and say there is no challenge after you get to do or die multiball. The game code is definitely finished and not incomplete.

I don't think there will be any code update here. The game is simply a rerun. Not a new game with new development time.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Getting to do or die is pretty meaningless.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Getting to do or die is pretty meaningless. It means you have started each mode but failed to beat each mode on one ball. Come back and say there is no challenge after you get to do or die multiball. The game code is definitely finished and not incomplete.
I don't think there will be any code update here. The game is simply a rerun. Not a new game with new development time.

I'd hardly call it meaningless since just starting all of the major objectives on one ball is no easy task on factory settings. People will say that you can get everything close and ready to go but even that takes some good ball control. Also just getting to do or die is pointless unless you cash it in.

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Agreed. Bug fixes, earnable EB and hopefully better instant info is all I would request/hope for.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from mummite:

Better skill shot would be great also a left flipper button hold on plunge to lower the rear up post. This way players have control of it up or down. Maybe even a higher score if the rollover is hit with the post down.

If you want a True Skill Shot + take the Game to a new level turn off the Up-Post altogether.
If you thought IM was already hard this change will make it seem like you were on easy street.

Pin - K

#23 6 years ago

okay you win. Stern, please don't update any of your games. We all love them unfinished.

Just kidding.

I tend to compare SM and IM because they sit right next to each other at my house. They both have villians with individual modes - that is the similarity I was thinking of. For me, I can start monger pretty easily and it plays the same every time. Just looking for a little variety here. Starting doc ock the second time has different behavior. Not monger - he does the same thing every time - why would you want that?

I don't consider myself a great player at all but I can start monger 2 or 3 times on certain games and after a while it gets tedious.

#24 6 years ago

I don't consider myself a great player at all but I can start monger 2 or 3 times on certain games and after a while it gets tedious.

For higher scores (and less boredom), work on war machine and whiplash instead. Don't play monger unless you have to. Try to start war machine multiball with only one or two hits left to start whiplash multiball. Then bring in whiplash for the stack (and big points). I can see how monger over and over could get tedious. Change your strategy up and you'll enjoy the game more.

#25 6 years ago

Just a thought...

... IMVE is set to ship "near the end of the month"... which is in 8 days.

This thread may need to transition to simply a "rules update request" thread, because it's apparent that major rules changes may be impossible within 8 days.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

I'd hardly call it meaningless since just starting all of the major objectives on one ball is no easy task on factory settings. People will say that you can get everything close and ready to go but even that takes some good ball control. Also just getting to do or die is pointless unless you cash it in.

Ok fair enough. But you agree that getting to do it die doesn't indicate you've mastered the game, right?

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

I believe the point of Ironman was to be simple and shallow, yet challenging. So challenging, that even great players have trouble reaching do or die mb. I'd like to see some Lyman polish and a ton of instant info added, but all in all, it is great as is.

I couldn't agree More !!!! IM isn't the Deepest but Try-n to get Done what Needs to B done is the Challenge ..
With the Vault Edition and It's New game Code -- I Expect We're All N 4 a Surprize ,, I Know I am !!

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Ok fair enough. But you agree that getting to do it die doesn't indicate you've mastered the game, right?

Sure getting to do or die isn't a super rare feat but it's how fast you can cash it in when the 35mil hurry up starts to count down. Then the nice reward of going into Jericho at 2x. (Assuming you've played your bogey)

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

I couldn't agree More !!!! IM isn't the Deepest but Try-n to get Done what Needs to B done is the Challenge ..
With the Vault Edition and It's New game Code -- I Expect We're All N 4 a Surprize ,, I Know I am !!

I'm not sure i'd expect a totally overhauled rule set. Probably just a few minor tweaks.

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from Pin_-_K:

If you want a True Skill Shot + take the Game to a new level turn off the Up-Post altogether.

yep, I had mine set like this when I owned it. But it would be nice to not have it in the settings on/off, but on a controlled button like TRON. Hold down the left flipper button on launch to lower the post. Also if a player makes the skill shot with the post down increase the value of the skill shot.

I also would love a super skill shot via the right ramp similar to the super skill shot on stern ST.

As others have said I do not think this game will get a full feature update. Just some bug fixes and other small additions, but we can keep posting suggestions! I am sure Stern reads these forums and will check them out.

New features even if they are light ones will for sure entice more people to buy the Vault Edition.

Did the old code have Flipper button idle SFXs? I don't remember, man ever game should have that!

#31 6 years ago

The thing that feels slightly funny to me about games like IM is that they are themed on movies from the middle of a movie sequence. In terms of updates, I would love to see elements of the Iron Man 3 movie incorporated. SM and LOTR came at the ends of trilogies, so it wasn't a problem. IM is stuck at #2.

That said, I realize it will never happen

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from dhalem:

The thing that feels slightly funny to me about games like IM is that they are themed on movies from the middle of a movie sequence. In terms of updates, I would love to see elements of the Iron Man 3 movie incorporated. SM and LOTR came at the ends of trilogies, so it wasn't a problem. IM is stuck at #2.
That said, I realize it will never happen

IM3 blew big time. I'm glad the pin came out before that trash.

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

It blows my mind when people try to tell me IM 3 was a good movie. no No NO!!!!

#34 6 years ago

IM3 was terrible.... almost as bad as Spiderman 3. Glad it's not in there. You wanted this guy in the game?

mandarine.png
#35 6 years ago

IM is fantastic as is..........but,

Would be great to have a few new ways of getting name on board -

Bogey champion
Combo champion
Whiplash champion

And easier to get an extra ball as it must be the hardest game on the planet to earn one!!!

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

IM is fantastic as is..........but,
Bogey champion
Combo champion
Whiplash champion
And easier to get an extra ball as it must be the hardest game on the planet to earn one!!!

I love all of these suggestions. Drone champ too.

SEA ASSAULT DRAIN (get it?)

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

You can say that again. It was all I could do to not let the crap that was IM3 ruin the first 2 movies for me. Ugh.

#38 6 years ago

IM3 was a hot mess.....

#39 6 years ago

I'd like to better understand bonus. You can have the ball of your life and still get a piddling bonus. Seems a little out of whack with the rest of scoring. That could be improved.

Quoted from markmon:

Getting to do or die is pretty meaningless. It means you have started each mode but failed to beat each mode on one ball.

Put on some lightening flippers.

#40 6 years ago

I agree that IM3 sucked. But for me it feels a little incomplete without it. I'll probably feel the same when the next Star Trek movie comes out.

#41 6 years ago

I know what you mean about feeling a but incomplete. I don't think there are any call outs by Terrance Howard or Don Cheadle for War Machine. Although the game might be too cluttered with any more villains from the third movie on the play field.

Kind of like how the Xmen pins aren't movie based, it would have been better to just do an Iron Man pin based on the comics and not in the middle of the movies.

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Bogey champion
Combo champion
Whiplash champion

100% agree these would be fantastic! Stern you listening

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

I know what you mean about feeling a but incomplete. I don't think there are any call outs by Terrance Howard or Don Cheadle for War Machine. Although the game might be too cluttered with any more villains from the third movie on the play field.
Kind of like how the Xmen pins aren't movie based, it would have been better to just do an Iron Man pin based on the comics and not in the middle of the movies.

Yeah, but that's a mixed bag. In my mind, RDJ is Iron Man and Paul Bettany is JARVIS. I want their voices in there.

#44 6 years ago

I believe Paul Bettany voiced Jarvis but I get your point. It is a mixed bag.

Could have done one side of play field with different armors and allies against all the Iron Man foes like Mandarin, Titanium Man, Backlash, Fing Fang Foom, and Modok. Ah well. Still a great pin.

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

I believe Paul Bettany voiced Jarvis but I get your point. It is a mixed bag.

Oops, corrected. But aren't they the same actor anyway

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from bb2j3z:

IM3 was terrible.... almost as bad as spiderman 3. Glad it's not in there. You wanted this guy in the game?

mandarine.png 103 KB

I thought it was better than the 2nd one honestly, but I didn't like it all that much. I thought Ben Kingsley was hilarious in it though

#47 6 years ago
Quoted from mummite:

100% agree these would be fantastic! Stern you listening

And surely these kinds of things while adding a lot to the enjoyment of the game, are pretty routine to program?

#48 6 years ago

IM is what I imagine bull riding is like...... Seven seconds of glory, followed by hours of pain.

More callouts would be nice, though.

#49 6 years ago

I love IM and most likely I'm buying the remake but why not make it a premium version with colour changing leds, armor and modded toys and new code to run it all. I think Stern could easily sell 500 units at premium prices.

#50 6 years ago

Maybe some surprises will be announced when pics get released..

Quoted from Hazoff:

I love IM and most likely I'm buying the remake but why not make it a premium version with colour changing leds, armor and modded toys and new code to run it all. I think Stern could easily sell 500 units at premium prices.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside