IMG_0229.JPG
IMG_0230.JPG
Iron Man ( New Leds added ) 014.JPG
Iron Man ( New Leds added ) 011.JPG
Iron Man ( New Leds added ) 008.JPG
All Picts- 159.jpg
CAM00127.jpg
CAM00114.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#78 9 years ago
Quoted from BoJo:

Nothing wrong with the pixelated edition and I prefer them over decals. For some reason the blacks on Stern decals are not as dark as the blacks on their screened cabinets. If you see a screened Tron next to a decaled Tron it stands out. In this picture posted today you can see what I am talking about.

The area circled in red where the decal is cut for the leg is much darker then the surrounding decaled area. On a screened Ironman that area is much darker. Here is a picture of a screened cabinet:

Reminds me of the LCD tv's when they first came out. They had high resolution compared to plasma but couldn't produce the same black levels. I understand the decals have higher resolution and that is a benefit, but why Stern can't get the black levels darker like the original screened cabinets is strange.

IMVE.jpg 107 KB

IM.jpg 55 KB

Exactly right.

Screened is better than decals specifically for the reasons that you mention. And it isn't just on Stern decals. You can see the same lack of depth (blacks) when looking at an original screened MM vs a restored one that has decals on it. The decals simply do not have the depth of color to match the screened print, and it is especially noticeable in the blacks. This is an easy way to spot whether an original screened pin has had decals put on it.

Of course in the case of IM (and Stern in general at the time), the advantage that the screened cab has over decals is greatly reduced because of the pixelation, which will be largely reduced with the decals.

I personally prefer the richer colors, but obviously there are plenty of people who will prefer the higher resolution.

#81 9 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

The IM decals in the picture above don't look higher resolution (and the colors don't look so hot either).
Probably using a new decal vendor and saving a few bucks on the BOM...

There is no way that I can tell if the resolution is better on the decals or not based on the low quality pics in this thread.

#84 9 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

Are you saying in general? I know that most of Stern's decals are screened decals. I know Tron reruns and TF were not. Haven't got a close look at ST's cab, so not sure on that. My Xmen, ACDC, Metallica have all been decals, but they were screen printed decals. I agree that the decal Trons have less black blacks and crisper resolution. The black on my XM, Metallica and former ACDC were very black, though.

Yes, in general, and that's why I said in my post that there are pros and cons to both.

Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

What a load. I have had both and they look good. Christ we are bunch of freaks over this crap. Its a GDm box for a game!

Says the guy who loves bling! And who is having a pin restored by McCune.

Are you saying that you don't care?

#94 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Oddly enough Rob I do not care about those details. I want it new and blinged but that kind of detail means nothing to me. Honestly don't get it.

I honestly don't get the attitude of not caring about the quality of the art on the cabinet, but to each their own.

#117 9 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Maybe the red ones are brighter than I thought. The only Stern with a LED DMD that I've had has been Hulk. And that was a green DMD that I felt was dimmer than I would like.

I have a blue DMD from Stern in my Tron LE, and it is plenty bright.

1 week later
#369 9 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

The headphone kit is easy to install and IM sounds so kickass in your ears. Great mod!!

The bass sucks with the headphones though. You just can't beat a separate powered sub on IM.

#374 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

With a good set over over ear headphones like dr dre beats pro and the potentiometers on the back of my kit turned completely toward bass tones the headphone are actually really good. Comparing a powered sub obviously is different but I wouldn't say Iron Man with headphone sucks, it's one of my favorite games with them.

Uh, I never said the headphones suck. I own your headphones.

I said the bass sucks with headphones. And it does. Even with my Sennheiser's. You just don't get the same impact.

Headphones have their place for sure, that's why I got them, but they are not the ideal way to listen to pinball audio, especially on a pin that has great bass effects like IM. Like you said, comparing with a powered sub is a different experience.

#456 9 years ago
Quoted from Propaganda:

It has the IKEA back box

Troll

#482 9 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Fast loud and obnoxious

Sounds about right!

Congrats

#487 9 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

OT: Cosmo what do you prefer Luci or IM?

The clear coat on his IM hasn't even cured yet and you are asking which one he prefers?

#516 9 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

BTW at the very beginning of that video you can see a hologram dot on the left side of the translate...it appears to be the only difference between the 2010 and VE edition translate...

012.jpg 236 KB

In your other post you complained about your phone's video quality.

Now you can complain about it's autocorrect ability as well.

#553 9 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

What California water?

2 weeks later
#1128 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I'm addicted to this pin.

I'm still playing the crap out of mine.

I've owned IM twice now. This one will not leave for a long time. IM is definitely in my Top 5 favorite pins of all time. To this day, no pin that I've ever played has made a better first impression of the first time I played IM. The way it battles you back, magnets throwing the ball at you, the epic sound package, and the short ball times combined with potential huge jackpots on DoD (and Jericho) that really get the adrenaline going, and this is one hell of a pin!

Glad to see that so many more people are able to enjoy this classic now and see what the fuss is about.

#1156 9 years ago
Quoted from pinball_customs:

Oh and for the love of god people, add a sub woofer to your game. You'll thank me later.

I don't know if there is another pin that benefits more from adding a subwoofer than IM! Tron is up there, but I still think IM may take the cake.

#1174 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I've got my setting on 'Default' Jericho does not carry over to next ball. Is that what most people are doing?

What do you mean regarding Jericho carrying over to the next ball?

#1178 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Feature adjustment #11

Jericho carryover ball to ball ( no - default )

I'm not sure what this means have to check, but with (no) my completed modes do not carryover. In other words if I light Iron Man insert and then drain, the next ball Iron Man is not lit. However progress towards goals is kept in other words if I am 70% towards spelling Monger that progress is kept.

I assume if I change from no to yes, all my inserts will be carried over to next ball?

Funny, the Mark ladder progress is kept (which is for Jericho) but the character inserts are not kept (which progress to DOD). Maybe it means if you drain while in Jericho you will keep in the mode on the next ball?

At first I thought you were confusing Jericho with DoD, but by your response, I can see that you are not.

You are correct, the inserts apply to DoD and don't really have anything to do with Jericho directly (although they do give you additional "Marks").

I don't think there is even an option to let the modes carry over. The only way to do that is to beat the mode and get the insert flashing as far as I know.

So the bottom line is that I am confused by this Jericho adjustment option. I will have to look at it later.

#1183 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

The Carry Over Jericho adjustment lets Jericho continue until you beat it...even after draining and starting a new ball. Basically, the next ball starts wherever you left off within the Jericho mode and continues until you beat it. Super lame if you ask me. Leave it off so if you drain during Jericho it's gone the next ball.

Wow.

I agree, so lame that I didn't even consider that as possibility!

#1188 9 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Iron Man VE almost gave me a coronary!

This is why I titled the IM Owners thread with the tag "adrenaline junkies welcome"! It fits!

My 10th game or so, (having only played about 20 games over the years), I hit Jericho!
WTF! With a shaker motor in it, this game is the most perfectly integrated shaker I have played with!
A must must have to this game, in my opinion. The build on it from game play to lighting, pushed forward by the music...WOW!

Congrats on getting to Jericho already.

Yes, as far as the shaker goes, I really don't think that there is any pin out there that implements the shaker any better than IM. Definitely a must have for this pin.

Music and sound effects kick ass!

This game is both Flo oriented, in a classic way with the orbits, and linear driven by the music, but not always the shots. Very Cool! Great game for any Newbie, fan, just a real favorite, and a ball buster for the point, and progression players.
Tight package, and a nice change of pace in any collection.
Some lights, a subwoofer, and some magnetic glow balls to try out in it!
...and I am not exaggerating, I had to take a nitro!..

A powered sub is almost as much of a "must have" as the shaker motor. Huge difference!

Glad you had some nitro handy to keep you from popping a gasket!

#1234 9 years ago

Oops.

#1236 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It's not compression. It's Plasma DMD vs. LED display
If you looked at a Plasma Tron vs. LED Tron, it would be the same thing.

You are too quick Greg!

I deleted my post.

#1239 9 years ago

I'm still wondering if there isn't something else going on here?

Yes, plasma is better than LED but come on, look at the difference! The VE version shouldn't be that much worse. There is almost no detail at all compared to the original.

Maybe a combination of bad compression with a lower resolution display?

#1242 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Stern has compressed file sizes before and it never affects the graphics/video. IN fact, sometimes it improves the video…I don't remember which Stern game this was, but one update mentioned "compression" and the video was actually smoother/higher frame rate. This is a result of the display and only the display. Someone in one of these threads looked at the IM VE images in the pinball browser and confirmed they're exactly the same as the old one.

If that's true, LED display's suck worse than I thought.

#1245 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I think they lose some of the subtle shading, esp on Stern games which have more shades than WMS games…and the gridlines don't help, either. On a game like Ironman which already had some questionable movie rips, it certainly doesn't help. That being said, since i've been playing my new IM, the game is so f'ing fast I've barely been able to look up at the DMD lol. If the LED display starts to bug me, maybe I'll get a ColorDMD for it. Sigma mode might make it look better than any DMD.

Heh, you can say that again! Only time I get to look at the DMD is when Whiplash MB starts, or the ball is held by the middle up post (and briefly during the start of Monger MB).

#1252 9 years ago
Quoted from Santeh:

When, exactly, does the auto-launch for the ball happen?

During the start of any multiball to put the balls in play, or during the ball save period.

I'm confused by the fact that you don't know if the game had one. Have you started a multiball?

#1256 9 years ago
Quoted from limelime20:

IM is frustrating..No one knows when extra ball is coming,,,who knows when multi-ball can stack, it's a frustrating game...

Learn the rules by playing and start paying attention to what Multiballs can stack.

A couple hints: you can stack War Machine with Whiplash, but only if you start War Machine first.

You can also stack War Machine with Monger, but only if you start War Machine first (and Monger is already in the up position).

You can't stack Whiplash and Monger ever.

#1350 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

When it's slowly coming down the orbit I give a little bump to make it miss the sling. From a fast loop shot, no issues. Disclaimer: I have the OG.

Yep, I'd say my OG behaves that way as well.

#1490 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

New Stern playfields just seem to be dimple prone. Theories range from softer wood to clear not having enough time to cure…some games are more noticeable than others. Some dimple worse than others. I only noticed them when i had the translite off and the tube light was shining on the playfield.

Here's another theory that you can add to your list: thicker clear coat isn't always a good thing in every way possible, as I think the "new Stern playfields" that you refer to have thicker clear coats and that's when they started to show the dimples more. They are there on the other playfields as well, they just are not as noticeable.

I remember drooling over the nice, fresh, thick clear coat on my NIB X-Men. The drooling quickly turned to shock when the PF suddenly began to look like a golfball.

Compare the dimples we see on Stern pins now to pins like LOTR, TSPP, IM, BBH, WoF, and POTC. They just didn't dimple as badly, but the clear coats weren't as thick as the newer Sterns.

#1493 9 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

So I should have held off and waited to allow the playfield to cure? Damn. Is there a theory as to how long it takes?

No. They *do* need to cure, but you can cure it for a year and you will still get dimples.

I bought a super low play HUO NGG (made in the 90's) that had a fantastic looking playfield, but after playing it a few days, I was surprised at how many more dimples were in the playfield. That playfield had been curing for over a decade.

#1495 9 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I just bought an nib met prem with a born on date of August 2013. It has more dimples after a week of play than my nib STLE that I got a week after manufactured date. So no, curing time is a myth IMO.

Always good to see another data point!

#1519 9 years ago
Quoted from Rom:

Thinking of I ordered this baby 8 HOURS after Stern announced it on Facebook…..THAT was a loooooooong wait!!! But today it finally arrived. Excitedexcitedexcited!!!!!!!!
Probably the first one in Luxembourg.

You guys get single slot coin doors?

#1522 9 years ago

You aren't one of "those guys".

#1553 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

You can't really see how great the LED OCD is in a video. In person the effect is much more striking. Totally transformed my Tron, worth every penny.

I'm curious as to how it totally transformed your Tron?

I agree with him, by far the biggest improvement appears to be with the light sweeps that you normally see during attract mode. What benefits are their during gameplay other than not flickering/strobing (which you can reduce to a large degree, but not completely, with NoFlix bulbs)?

#1571 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It's funny, because it's a subtle change, and at the same time it's night and day. The first time I turned my game on after installing the LED OCD it was just captivating, the lights softly pulsed, the attract mode flowed from one insert to the next, it was kind of mesmerizing. I dunno, maybe some people will care more than others, but in person it's really just a huge effect for me.
I highly recommend it if you're serious about your lights.

But that's what I said: during the attract mode it *is* very obvious. The sweeps look superb.

But we don't play our pins in attract mode. So it seems to me that the other benefits aren't that great compared to something like a NoFlix Plus bulb during actual gameplay.

#1613 9 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Completed jericho tonight...gotta love that 50 mil bonus.

20140821_211310.jpg 139 KB

Isn't it awesome?!

For an even bigger rush, get 2x scoring going just before collecting the Jericho jackpot...for 100 million points!

#1640 9 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Center shot is lit for 50 million. Not timed, I'm pretty sure.

For Jericho, that's correct. The 50 million remains available for the duration of that ball (although it can be changed to carry over to the next ball in the settings, something I would never do).

So you need to start 2x scoring before collecting the Jericho jackpot.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.95
$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 87.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/im-ve-owners-post-here?tu=robt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.