IMG_0229.JPG
IMG_0230.JPG
Iron Man ( New Leds added ) 014.JPG
Iron Man ( New Leds added ) 011.JPG
Iron Man ( New Leds added ) 008.JPG
All Picts- 159.jpg
CAM00127.jpg
CAM00114.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rai.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

Like to see a show of hands who has bought the IMVE and had they been planning on buying IM in the past or what the circumstance was when it was announced.

For me, I was around when the MMR was announced and excitedly got on the list sent in my deposit, but at time passed, got to thinking how much I really wanted MM as opposed to how much was just because it happened to seem to be a bargain price compared to $12k or whatever a nice example had been selling for.

I dropped out of MMR but I'm sure it will be nice, but just wasn't as excited a few months after the announcement as I was on the first day.

Regarding IM, I stared the post 2 months ago wondering aloud if Stern would be able to sell a number of IM remakes. Specifically, I asked if they would be able to sell at the 'Stern pro' price. I was not looking for a premium edition with mega bells and whistles. I saw the magic point with me, I bought Tron pro for $4400 and saw I didn't buy MMR for $8300 (with shipping) not saying MMR is not fantastic with color LCD display which is awesome. But that the extra $3500 money is at or near another pro game.

Now, before the announcement, I was in the market for IM or Met. However was not sure if the pro or premium Met was for me, and the IM (used) market was somewhere in between. I didn't see myself buying IM at the asking prices back then $5800 to $6k+

So I was undecided, when Stern announced IMVE for just a bit more than Met pro. I was sold instantly, probably it's likely that Met has more going on, more rules but I am much more of an IM fan as to the theme and as I couldn't decide anyway between the pro and the premium.

Last but not least, I was probably out of room (according to my wife) and was not in the market for another pin unless I sold one. But with the cost of IM being under $5k that was a lot easier to sell my wife on the idea than if it had been $8k for MMR or $6400 for Met premium.

#4 9 years ago

I thought all 3 IM movies were good, first one more so than the others. I mean they are comic book movies and IMO the first IM movie really recharged the Marvel franchise leading up to Thor, Captain America and Avengers.

I thought the latest Batman movies were also excellent, but by and large most comic movies you have to take with a grain of salt as they are not strictly believable. But to me the humor of IM with Robert Downey Jr is what sells the whole franchise much like Johnny Depp was for PotC.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

Hell yea I bought one. Can't wait to unbox it. Not sure what to do about my pimped out IM Pro. Might sell it, might trade it, might put it on route and make me some money.

I was interested to ask who is buying a second one. I bet some (quite a few) had the same idea with Luci. I suppose if it's one of your keepers it might make sense or if you want to get a better condition game than the one you own.

#14 9 years ago

Facebook:
image-35.jpgimage-35.jpg

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

My wife has wanted an IM for two years...but they were too much even for a routed machine...I ordered her one on the day of the announcement for her birthday.

That's the way to do it. Your wife sounds like a keeper.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

Are you silly folks adding Iron Man 2010 to your collection already?..

I added IM to my collection, can't see why Pinside would add another pin version for IM.

#23 9 years ago

I see you got the IRON MAN decal set are you happy with them?

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from mummite:

Yep I am in IM #2 for me. Fantastic game, great price point, the new additions to the game are an added plus. Overall very good move by stern and I hope to see more VE models released in the future.

I think it's genius. Stern now has JJP and several other smaller makers or even home made games to contend with, first Stern makes a great move to get PPS in house. Now it makes a move to sell several hundred pins on small budget but also small lead time (less time for people to change their plans) and likely will be shipping them shortly.

Stern, has a proven title, people want to buy it (IM) and Stern takes some of the money back that was set aside for other makers by selling a pin that's made in a manner of weeks/months instead of years.

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from Flavours:

I think you like going through the order process more than actually buying the pin.....You always cancel your order.lol
Woz - Cancelled.
Hobbit - Cancelled.
Predator - Cancelled.
MMr - Cancelled.
IMVE - Will most likely make your excuses and cancel when a another new pin is announced!

So funny, never ordered Hobbit so that's a good one, maybe you need to spend more time researching what games I order. Plus it's not against the law to order a game and not buy it. Happens all the time.

Maybe if you weren't a member since today you'd know or maybe you are spamming multiple ID's? That's against Pinside rules.

#42 9 years ago
Quoted from Flavours:

You dont need to be a member to read threads...Einstein.lol
You are just butthurt over my post post because its kinda true.
You have most likely reported me for spamming multiple IDs, Good luck there champ.lol ( i only have one )

What's the big deal if I canceled WoZ or some other game? Does that make you a feel like a big guy or something?

Where did you read that I cancelled The Hobbit? Talk about Einstein you are really smart all right.

#44 9 years ago

Maybe since your a day one newbie you didn't read the rules?

https://pinside.com/pinball/help/pinsidecom-community-rules

Rule number one be nice, this is your first day and you are trying to derail this thread with irrelevant arguments. You don't know me I don't know you but you have to be a smart ass and derail the tread about IM.

Why are you even posting on this thread? Just to stir up trouble (same as trolling) is against forum rules.

#45 9 years ago

I'm allowed to cancel Predator, many people have. No drama, in fact I said "I hope and think Predator will be great". What's so bad about that? I also said I'm sure there are lots of people who will gladly take over my spot.

I spoke with Kevin and told him don't stress if people cancel all games have had people drop out. He didn't get bent out of shape like you seem to be.

#60 9 years ago

I think they are shipping soon like July.

#71 9 years ago

I wonder how many they are building?

#85 9 years ago

Actually those camera phone pics you see above are not a representation of the true color to whom it may concern.

#97 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I honestly don't get the attitude of not caring about the quality of the art on the cabinet, but to each their own.

I have not noticed the art on the cabinet of IM, have not looked closely at IM, but on my PotC it's very noticeable. Looks ok from a distance but not great if you look directly close up. That said if you see my pins they are like 5 inches apart so it's not an issue to me directly, but I generally prefer higher res images. But I can see both arguments especially if the color is not true on the decals. I have Tron with decal and never noticed that, but my room is on the dark side (basement).

#115 9 years ago

Here's a pic of my pins both red and plasma look nice, I think the plasma (SM and PotC) has more warmth and shades better but the LEDs are brighter. If anything red LED would fit the IM better I think.

image-369.jpgimage-369.jpg

#118 9 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

For my Tron I installed a white DMD with a blue filter, looks oh so nice. B

Looks so nice, Tron can be a money pit that way.

#126 9 years ago

Paid up Saturday, it's a sad day when we all start to think $4800 is relatively cheap for a new game

#136 9 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

$2500 in 1989 = $4796.37 in 2014 dollars. Those bastards are getting over on us for $3.63! Don't do it!
http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl?cost1=2500&year1=1989&year2=2014

Good point, my first new car was $8800 back in 1988 it was an economy car but these days the average price of a new car is over $30k

#145 9 years ago

I will be 'in the club' soon.

Just watched the 2 movies the other day. Does the pin have callouts taken from the movies?

#147 9 years ago
Quoted from oopsallberrys:

Just got my mylar rings, flipper button guards, and shooter lane protector from pinball life.

did you forget the metal playfield support rails?

#154 9 years ago

Too bad Terrance Howard didn't continue on with the rest of the films.

#156 9 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

Terrance Howard honestly is too effeminate, soft for the Rhodes/War Machine role.

What?

TerrenceHoward.jpgTerrenceHoward.jpg

#170 9 years ago
Quoted from Rom:

I told him to send me an all in one package for IM and I got the shooter lane protector kit, 2 protectors for the magnets, the right ramp protector and 2 ball drop protectors for the inlane switches.
I have not used those magnet protectors before so I have no experience on the consequences. So if it is better not to use the cliffys magnet protectors and use mylar instead I will probably not install them. Thanks for the tip.

Do not use cliffy magnet protectors, I don't even know why he sells them.

Ball drop protectors 'meh' had on Tron, they can hang up the ball occasionally, I mean a slow rolling ball might hang up on a thin piece of metal it did happen from time to time so I removed them. IMO there is not enough wear to warrant having a ball hang up.

#205 9 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

My distributor contacted me this morning, mine should be shipping today.

Great news!

#207 9 years ago

Not to be a Jack ass (pun) but could you imagine if you were on the WoZ LE list and saw them start shipping a year ago but were still waiting?

#228 9 years ago
Quoted from TZBen:

a couple pics of the figures would be nice

I'm guessing someone at Stern likes to be a prick about this. But however can't be to angry about this since we are getting a few hundred more IM pins when many said it would never happen. Hopefully they are fine. I'd like if Whiplash had actual whips is that asking for too much?

#232 9 years ago
Quoted from cwell:

I'm having a hard time waiting and they'll be at my house next week. Doesn't help that I'm getting MET Pro at the same time. I'm so friggin geeked right now.

Nice combo, I say they have some similar aspects but the rules seem much deeper or complex for met.

#258 9 years ago

No pics yet?

#273 9 years ago

Oh my god, Jack never had problems like this with pictures.

#339 9 years ago
Quoted from UKCatsFan76:

Same lockdown as Star Trek. New style backbox.

No, I believe it's different than ST which uses little screws, I think it's the newer style as Mustang (I believe) they use the same bolts as the leg bolts (which would be more sturdy IMO) and so you don't have to have a special wrench.

#340 9 years ago

double post

#341 9 years ago

JJ sorry about your dog, but cute puppy.

Can't hardly wait for my game!!

#360 9 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

The seizure warning? It's integrated into the artwork; look at Iron Man's hands. You'd have to replace the entire decal.

Nanny nation, we have become wussified by lawyers and fear of litigation.

#436 9 years ago

Mine is shipping today.

#444 9 years ago
Quoted from bb2j3z:

So I was looking on YouTube to find a review for IMVE .... instead I found this... hilarious!
Hitler finds out about Iron Man vault....
» YouTube video

I made that last night.

Must be my 15 minutes of fame lol

#446 9 years ago

I hope Stern isn't taking lessons from JJP.

#449 9 years ago

It sounds like Stern is building a crap ton of them.

#452 9 years ago

So it does include the whips? Maybe they're in goodie bag?

#473 9 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

They look amazing in person...tough to capture in photos

So how does it play? Does Whiplash come with whips?

#474 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Waiting for mine...modded my toys this morning - here's War Machine striking a pose with his new red chest LED and orange cannon LED that will go off when the kickback fires! Woo!

Warmachine.jpeg 94 KB

where are you getting your modded figures?

#562 9 years ago

I'm still waiting like some WoZ owners.

#601 9 years ago

I ordered it first day and still no pin. While people that didn't order it at all could've got one directly from Buddy, it's just like WoZ.

#609 9 years ago

Mine is supposed to ship tomorrow

#612 9 years ago
Quoted from pauloz:

I have one coming to New Zealand. Anyone know if these have a shaker motor?

Need to add it yourself.

#674 9 years ago
Quoted from Gexchange:

Just Replied. Left Stern today On its way to Denver.
JJ

Why are they going to Denver first?

Seems like extra transit. Any word on my shipment? (Phil)?

Hate seeing seems like everyone getting their game before me.

#685 9 years ago

I think I'm going to re-arrange my collection.

I can only have 6 on this wall and one separate on the other side of the room.

I am thinking of putting AcDc on the other side of the room, It's the only non movie or non super hero theme.

So where should I put IM?

gameroom.jpggameroom.jpg

#690 9 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

put the POTC in my house...problem solved
or the TRON
or the SM
or the ST
or the X MEN

Wish you were closer (not!)

#697 9 years ago
Quoted from Gexchange:

Don't worry yours is in my pile of ones to send tracking on.
JJ

You are getting the JJ(P) experience.

#743 9 years ago
Quoted from Gexchange:

Another Shipment Leaving for West Coast from Our dock today In Denver.
One more for East and I think Everyone should be good!

How many did you guys sell?

#767 9 years ago

How cool is that if they sold 500 pins, in this economy with so many start ups and future pins to compete with, such as MMR and TH and Predator.

Good job Stern, well played.

#770 9 years ago

I posted this question 9 weeks ago could Stern sell another 500 IM pins, and I said at Stern pro prices not premium - LE mark ups.

Looks like I may have hit the nail on the head.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/could-stern-sell-another-500-im-pins

On my poll 210 people said they would or might buy one and 70 said no way must have been 70 prior owners.

#773 9 years ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

You are awesome!

If only I were as good at other predictions. I would have bought Tesla stock 2 years ago.

#782 9 years ago

Mine is in Baltimore could be here tomorrow but they never called me to schedule yet.

#791 9 years ago
Quoted from Gexchange:

Call them.. I always recommend you call them. Otherwise it sits on someones desk until they get around to it
JJ

I called the bleepers, they said it has just got there and they would call me back later in the day but they never called me. I'm kind of POed because the weekend is coming up and I need to schedule it so someone is home.

#802 9 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

I also have the original IM. Could you break it down for a newb on how to update the code? Flash drive? Where do I plug it in the pin? I'm assuming somewhere behind the Translite.

#804 9 years ago

I'm so mad, I called yesterday was told they would call me back to schedule, so I never got a call.

I called this morining and they said they tried to call me yesterday but I didn't answer

That's complete BS, I never got a call, my phone has no record of missed call, they have my correct number. If they didn't get an answer you'd think they'd call back? I don't know but that's what I would do. Plus they didn't call me because I always get my calls, In my job I need great phone access and have never missed a call that I know of.

Now they tell me the scheduler doesn't even get in until noon today.

I can't stand this shipper already.

#806 9 years ago

I knew this was going to happen, every missed call will put it off another day and now we are looking at the weekend.

Shipping company didn't even have my contact if I had not called them who knows what, plus I was on the phone with the scheduler yesterday instead of having to call me back why don't you just do your job and schedule the time while I'm on the phone in the first place?

#838 9 years ago

It's supposed to be tomorrow for me.

#855 9 years ago

Today's the day hopefully.

My only regret was that they did not add much to the code such as a better or more choices of skill shot.

I was thinking how successful this was for Stern and think it was very. It probably sold 500 and maybe more or Stern could do another run in a year if demand is there.

I think this was the perfect storm and may be hard to duplicate the success with other titles although I don't doubt there would be buyers for other titles like LOTR, SM, POTC, TDK, TRON, TSPP, TFG. But the title of IM was the ONE of all that was both easy and probably had the highest demand plus coming after Mustang was probably a great time as well.

The thing about IM is that it's still current with Downey Jr still playing Iron Man. Also with IM being on the current platform unlike LOTR, and on the current franchise unlike SM. Plus there being one level of IM the pro swayed me over Metallica (as well as the theme better for me) but I could not decide between pro or premium for Met and probably people are in the same boat with ST pro or premium. So having one choice was a selling point. Also while I think Stern could have sold an IM premium for $6000 if it had such things as color coated side rails and maybe more interactive lighting and what not. It was kind of smart to keep the price lower so as to gain more sales. I mean if they sold 500 at $4800 they might have sold just 300 at $6000. Plus if people want premium they can go with Refinery and people that don't can go with the basic pro.

I think the other titles would have less demand such as LOTR or PotC or SM so likely would be less over-demand and also many of those games might be harder to produce since they have more toys or moving parts.

IMO to me, the next logical VE would be Tron as it's still current and also in demand and probably less supply than the older big hits.

#859 9 years ago
Quoted from DylanFan71:

This exact thing happened to me last night. Drained with Jericho blinking and started with the next ball.

I was curious about this also.

#874 9 years ago

Mine arrived today but I'm at work. First world problems I know.

But if you want a Polk powered sub they're on sale at amazon for $92 http://www.amazon.com/Audio-10-Inch-Powered-Subwoofer-Single/dp/B0002KVQBA/ref=sr_1_1

#881 9 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpg

#892 9 years ago

It's go time !!!
image-39.jpgimage-39.jpg
image-793.jpgimage-793.jpg

#894 9 years ago

I like the new back box lock mechanism and the whole back box is nicely done.

I don't have much time on the 2010 IM but the DMD seems a bit low res, as opposed to Tron.

My movie/super-hero pins:
image-738.jpgimage-738.jpgimage-552.jpgimage-552.jpg

#896 9 years ago
Quoted from Gexchange:

Woohoo! got it before the weekend! Game on!

thanks, I had to enlist my wife and daughter to move it into the house, but set up no problems, maybe I'm having the ball stick in the left top roll over lane just for a second, but I'm letting it settle to see if it's just a passing thing.

#902 9 years ago

Those factory out lanes are brutal. Sitting next to SM is a real contrast in ball times.

#925 9 years ago

Just played a bit more IM. I put the Monger letters to difficult or meaning starts with no letters given, and Monger start to difficult meaning only starts with center spinner. I seem to like this as to me it's kind of too easy to start otherwise.

I can't say it's hard to start this way at all, both my daughters age 14 and 15 were able to start Monger on their first game.

#926 9 years ago

I can't find the post, someone said the shaker setup is different on the IM VE.

I'm taking a shaker form SM could some one tell me how it's set up it wired different? I saw something about this somewhere but can not find it.

#930 9 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

I was thinking about doing a thread about it but we have enough threads around here as it is so it may just be a super long post(s). Stay tuned.

KB

Wanted to ask you if you could compare the DMD resolution. To me the DMD looks worse than Tron and probably worse than SM although to me that's a tough call as they both look bad. Just to me the VE looks very low res, was curious if this new one is any worse or the same as the old one.

Just IMO the whole game feels 10% cheaper than my other games, not saying it's horrible, but to me it's noticeable as if everything was shaved down in quality. I have not played a lot of the IM before but did notice that it was somewhat lower grade don't know how to describe it. Just I mean next to Met pro it seems as if the IM is somewhat lesser or lower weight to it. Even the rules are cheap, but I like the paired down simple rules on this particular game.

However the above does not mean that I think it's cheap, I think its a total blast to play.

I like the way it fights back and how it's so quick. Have not played it a ton, but just that I can play 10 games in half an hour and not get bored. I know it's still the honeymoon period but so far I am pleased with the game, I don't think it's up to Tron or AcDc Premium in my book, but it's not bad at all and I've yet to put a shaker or sub on it.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#943 9 years ago
Quoted from Strummy:

Still waiting. Hope its not too cheesey. The 3 games I have now are solid. I ordered this Stern because I liked the smoothness of the play on the other ones that I played. Hope its good! I already spent $600 more on other stuff for it!

I think it feels same as 2010 IM just a tiny bit cheap overall as compaired to potc or Tron. I mean like some cost cutting is evident overall but not bad, It's still rock solid just a step down from Met pro as a similar layout 2 flipper Borg game I'd say the IM has a slight flimsy feeling. IMO

The dmd looks bad but same as SM, only notice when I'm looking like end sequence or when I'm watching other people play.

#951 9 years ago

Trying to add a shaker which I took from SM, but can't find the 5 pin connector on IM VE. Any help?

#955 9 years ago

Anyone have the decal set that goes in place of the mirror blade? I mean the wallpaper type sticker that matches the speaker panel?

#957 9 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

Yep I bought them. I think they will match the speaker decal wonderfully. I will be putting them on mine in the coming days. I'll post pictures.

thanks, I will get these.

#958 9 years ago

You ever hear a bad beat story in poker? Well here is my bad beat story in IM.

I was one shot away from both DOD hurry-up and Jericho multi ball. On my ball 2 and fracked up on two straight balls.

#966 9 years ago
Quoted from cwell:

How do you start Do or Die? I had all characters lit but it never started.

Started at center spinner.

I was curious if you have DOD and Jereco both ready what happens when you hit center spinner?

#973 9 years ago

Not that hard when you hit start

Quoted from cwell:How durable are they? I'd be scared to scratch them when you lift the playfield up.

I got decal city scape for my SM from pinball life and it came with stick on felt strip that attaches to play field edge supposed to protect the stickers but I'm not sure where to get extra maybe an art shop?

#980 9 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

Somewhere around 700 shipped

You are serious about Iron Man.

I'd like to reiterate how glad I am that Stern opened the vault. I had played IM three times in my life before I got my VE. I really was not overly impressed. But since I've had the new game I've played like 30 games so far which is a lot for me. I am starting to understand why people really love it.

#984 9 years ago

I am disappointed that no skill shot in the game, I don't call the roll over light a skill shot especially with post blocker. IMO they should disable the post or allow a skill shot by short plunge or long plunge with right flipper disabling the post like Tron to skill shot one of the ramps or combo or something other than just the boring roll over light.

#995 9 years ago
Quoted from dhalem:

You're probably right, I just hate being in the "Stern, where's my code?" club.

This is true (ish) meaning I hate waiting for code, but on the other hand I love getting a new code.

I will hardly play STLE with the current code but will be happy / enjoy the new code. I recall the first 14 months with XMLE and how I hated the game, even with the current code it took me a while to appreciate it. But now I'm fairly happy and play the XM a lot.

I think my biggest gripe would be if Stern never updated ST or had a 'meh' update. However IMO I have higher hopes for ST for a few reasons

1 it's starting from a much higher level than XM. I mean XM was just about as bad as I've ever seen. Completely broken at one point. I could never see them salvaging anything good but it turned out average code which is great considering how low it was at one point.

2 it's got Steve Ritchie who seems more involved than Borg in the post release code or rules.

3 it's in a bit of a lull period with Mustang being a half hearted release, IM VE being already coded and MMR being on the dock. So IMO Stern may have more resources on hold or hopefully working on ST.

4 just IMO but ST is a nice layout similar to SM or ACDC in flow and hopefully Stern would like to capitalize on that as well as Steve Ritchie credibility as well as IMO the high stature of Star Trek as a theme although that's not much as they didn't really capitalize on XM or AV which should have been monsters but to me those layouts are not as good or pure as ST which is about as tried and true as can be. Hope Stern sees the possibility of more sales if the code is great like AcDc.

#1005 9 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Ordered mine June 20, still not here. If I wanted to wait this long, I'd have bought a WOZ. I don't know how WOZ and TH guys can wait so long.

It's worth the wait.

#1047 9 years ago

So besides the Monger start difficulty setting, what other menu options are advisable?

I'm a bit worried that I got to DOD hurry up or Jericho MB (qualified) twice in 50 games. Now in truth I did not 'start' the modes (LOL) but I don't want to get there 'too often'. With Tron, never been to Portal, XM never been to DR, POTC never been to 4 winds (I mean never even qualified them yet). But on IM I was a shot away twice in 50 games.

Now this is both good and bad, it shows that it's a short game, which is nice I like to be able to qualify something LOL. But I don't want it to seem like I get there every few games.

I do have a long ball save like 12 seconds and I dropped the out lanes to the lowest setting, but that doesn't seem to be the problem as I think I qualify most while in various multi balls.

Think I'll gradually work the ball saver down a bit if it seems like I'm getting too good.

Edit, I know there is a difference between DOD hurry up and DOD multi ball, I just read the rules and DOD hurry up seems to be just a mini reward, not some big deal I thought it was.

#1053 9 years ago
Quoted from Strummy:

Awesome game! I think I chose a great first NIB. I never played IM til today. I was about to go for a Met Pro but then this came along. Wasn't sure and when I asked a fellow pinsider he said IM without hesitation. I was expecting cheesey sound with all the people buying subwoofers, but its not that bad. You should hear my stock T2. Ha!

It's really fun, especially when my other games are what would be called long games. I was also considering Met pro but probably that's quite a deep game, sure it's great but IM is probably more different than my other games since it can be quite quick.

I thought the sound was fine as well, but hooked up an external sub today and it's an all new level of goodness, I mean for $92 its worth that without a doubt.

#1068 9 years ago

I just realized although IM is not a deep game, I'm fairly sure DOD multiball is suitably impossible to get to.

#1104 9 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

Could you elaborate on this Monger start difficulty?!

Two settings for Monger:

-Monger letters: easy, normal or hard. With easy it gives you the first 2 letters. With hard it takes a few spinner hits before you get any letters.

-Monger start: normal will start Monger mode with any spinner hit, with hard it starts with only center spinner hit.

#1106 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Clarification: HARD makes you spell "IRON MONGER" instead on just "MONGER". The progress on "IRON" is only displayed on the DMD for obvious reasons.

Thanks, just placed it on hard setting.

On easy Monger letter you get 2 letters and one automatically almost on the return from the first plunge.

I kind of like hard setting as I like hitting the spinners, but not sure if this will make it too hard for guests or casual players like my kids.

I wish there was a way to disable the post on the skill shot but not for the rest of the game. Or disable the post when holding the left flipper like on Tron.

#1108 9 years ago

I'm curious about the shooter rod also it's sticky or rough. Maybe it's the spring?

However I can not think of a game where it matters less as there is not a skill shot other than full plunge to top roll over.

#1112 9 years ago

What's up with that Stern?

#1113 9 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

They're probably using the strong spring to compensate for their too-short shooter rods. Size matters! Take a look at any recent Stern game you own. The shooter tip doesn't contact a ball at rest in the shooter lane, which means the rod has to travel beyond full spring extension to strike the ball. When this happens, the barrel spring outside the game is contracting, which saps a lot of strength. Buy one of Pinball Life's red shooter rods, which is the proper length, and looks better in Iron Man anyway.

I can't believe Stern continues to design, build & ship $5k+ games with shooters that are clearly too short.

image-289.jpgimage-289.jpg

#1115 9 years ago
Quoted from lyonsden:

For me it was the rod. I used the same spring with a new rod and it works perfectly.

Where did you get the new rod?

#1127 9 years ago

Awesome love to see all these beauties in people homes.

I'm addicted to this pin. I just got my first Jericho I drained ball thee before I activated it, but lucky to have occurred when I had collected my first extra ball!!!

#1172 9 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

Whiplash magnet works exactly the same on my VE as it does on the IM Pro's ive played in the past.

I don't know, sometimes my magnet doesn't do a lot, but one time the ball was actually hurled in the air over the flippers, I was like OMG that's not fair.

#1173 9 years ago

I've got my setting on 'Default' Jericho does not carry over to next ball. Is that what most people are doing?

#1175 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

What do you mean regarding Jericho carrying over to the next ball?

Feature adjustment #11

Jericho carryover ball to ball ( no - default )

I'm not sure what this means have to check, but with (no) my completed modes do not carryover. In other words if I light Iron Man insert and then drain, the next ball Iron Man is not lit. However progress towards goals is kept in other words if I am 70% towards spelling Monger that progress is kept.

I assume if I change from no to yes, all my inserts will be carried over to next ball?

Funny, the Mark ladder progress is kept (which is for Jericho) but the character inserts are not kept (which progress to DOD). Maybe it means if you drain while in Jericho you will keep in the mode on the next ball?

#1229 9 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

If I set this option below to Medium, it resolved 2 & 3 for me.
#6 - Monger Letter Difficulty
“Difficulty” simply means the number of spinner hits needed to qualify Monger Multiball:
“Easy”: 4 (two letters spotted)
“Medium”: 6 (no letters spotted)
“Hard”: 10 (must spell out I-R-O-N-M-O-N-G-E-R)

Yes, it's so odd on the easy setting, you think progress is carried over from previous game but it just spots you 2 letters.

I prefer it on hard, but for guests and kids I think medium is fine.

On easy you start with 2 and the ball hits the spinner on the first plunge out of the pops so it's 70% complete before anything happens.

#1230 9 years ago

Love the game, can't believe how great it is, but Stern quality control is spotty

Here is a pic of my shooter lane, not sure if you can make it out but the auto launcher just the right fork touches the ball

Not sure if I can or should adjust this, it seems to shoot the ball out ok but I worry it may damage the balls over time

image-570.jpgimage-570.jpg

#1238 9 years ago

I don't know, I have Plasma on SM and LED on Tron and to me, the resolution is

Tron >> SM > IM VE

#1250 9 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

Is MONGER raised when you start your game? I thought I fixed it, but I noticed he's raised and doesn't start to lower till ball hits a switch. Its easy for me to hit ball from flipper and wedge it under him as he's lowering..
thanks!

Monger raises when you finish the game after the match sequence, but lowers as soon as you hit the start button. At least on mine unless you have something switched on the menu, but it doesn't sound right the way you describe it.

#1266 9 years ago

Have just noticed the left shooter lane is metal, not able to fit old Cliffy shooter proctor.

#1280 9 years ago

If the ball gets stuck between Mongers legs what adjustment can be made?

Just happened to me a couple of times, not when it's hit from the flippers but sometime the magnet will fling the ball back at the the Monger and the ball will get stuck in between the legs and the playfield can be shaken loose but can tilt.

#1297 9 years ago

thanks for doing that. Did you have to type that all up yourself?

I just wanted to say why I might differ on one or two settings:

I am debating setting the Iron Monger letters to 'Hard'.

I would set to 'hard' if I was the only one playing the game, because I know when I hit the spinner. I don't need to look up at the DMD and soon enough you will catch up with the inserts anyway. Only reason I see to keep it at medium is for guests or casual players.

I see your point about shaker to medium, but I like the fact that on 'maximum' it shakes when you hit a lit drone targets. That's very cool.

#1309 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Got my red armor from Refinery this week and put it on last nite…DAMN is it SEXXXY!!!!! I highly recommend Refinery's armor!
KB

How much does that cost? Is it the premium type lockdown bar?

#1315 9 years ago
Quoted from jitneystand1:

Remove the shooter tip, insert a couple of washers or a small nut, put shooter tip back on. Or adjust the auto-plunge forks outward slightly. Both work and either fix probably takes less time than a single phone call to Stern.

I wish Stern could make something as simple as a shooter rod. I mean they have made tens of thousands before on other games, why change it up and get it wrong?

#1323 9 years ago

anyone able to put a cliffy shooter lane protector on?

#1325 9 years ago

does it slide under the left metal rail? Do you need to loosen that or will it slide under?

#1367 9 years ago

Great so now I need to buy at least 2 of these for Tron, and IM

#1395 9 years ago

Does the color LCD display improve the resolution?

I'm debating if it's worth the price also is it difficult to install and set up?

#1408 9 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

Very much worth it. I have one for my tron and getting one for IM. Upscale it and the animations look crisp and clean. It takes about 15 minutes to change out the dmd's and that's being slow like I always am with modding plus you have 96 different color variations etc. great mod!

I have both Tron and IM which I would call keepers so I'm thinking of buying this mod.

How do you program the color and up scaling, particularly the color changes?

#1415 9 years ago

Damn if I should have just went with the Refinery edition. However I didn't know how good it was.

#1422 9 years ago
Quoted from The_Gorilla:

For future reference, Refinery Edition pins are a "modders" dream, with all of the work done, to order, by them. Don't forget the "fine tuning" of the game, either.
And Rai, this is not a rip on you, rather a promotion for the fine guys at PR.

I would have, but I was unsure if I'd like IM had only played it a few times so I wanted to limit my exposure if I wanted to sell it. But now having owned it, I wished I'd had spent the money there rather than having to do it myself and might not get as good results.

#1424 9 years ago

I have a pinball refinery ACDc premium fantastic as well

#1466 9 years ago

Could someone with the color LCD monitor please make a video? I'd like to see just the LCD as the game is playing such ad Monger or Whiplash (especially)

I'm interested in the smooth (not dots) option.

Thanks.

#1478 9 years ago

if you set the shaker to maximum, it will shake when you hit a drone that is active.

#1567 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Because blades and decals are too gaudy.

I dislike Mirrors. But this sticker is a must have for SM.

I think mirrors look dumb, you see a mirror image of the playfield what's so great about that?

spiderman_panels_01--2.jpgspiderman_panels_01--2.jpg
spiderman2.jpgspiderman2.jpg

#1570 9 years ago
Quoted from Santeh:

Ohhh, that is nice!

Yes, it looks like (or you can pretend) that the game takes place in a city with the buildings stretching out in the distance.

$65 from Pinballlife
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3102

#1581 9 years ago

Just got (and made) DOD hurry-up and Jericho (started). It is darn hard to make that center shot under pressure..

I won't count this as my personal best score 89M as I had been fooling around with the extra ball award and received 3 extra balls lol. However I did complete DOD hurry-up under regulation 3 balls.

#1598 9 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

I've got my colordmd up and running and although the installation may still be a work in progress, it's a badass upgrade. Love all these color options!!

image-335.jpg 235 KB

image-553.jpg 253 KB

Can you please try to capture a pic of the graphic on the DMD like Monger or whiplash animation? With the smooth option not the dots.

#1620 9 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

So way too much time on my hands. I painted the metal red decals gold and I like the red speaker lights behind it.

How is the resolution on the DMD?

#1621 9 years ago

Why is it that I can make center shot 3 times in a row from the left flipper, but when I need it for DOD it's impossible from either flipper?

#1627 9 years ago
Quoted from cwell:

Ask Scott Norwood.

Pressure shot

#1668 9 years ago

what I love about IM, yes it is brutal but at the same time not impossible to understand or complete most tasks.

My first day I was able to start DOD hurry-up and Jericho wizard mode.

I have it set on "hit center shot to start Monger" and I was concerned that this might be too difficult for some, but both my daughters who are not real pinball players were able to start the Monger on center shot on their first game. It's not a gimmie shot like 'hit any spinner', but at the same time it's not impossible.

Just love this game.

#1675 9 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

Ok, as promised I have some videos of the three different options for the Colordmd.

thanks for posting!

I think I prefer the solid.

Did you install it yourself? Was it difficult with the new speaker placement or do they sell a fitment kit?

#1692 9 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Oh, also is there a rule sheet floating around anywhere? Thanks!

http://www.pinballnews.com/games/ironman/index5b.html

#1705 9 years ago

yes, sometimes it's likely to pre-qualify a lot of things and cash in later in the gams so you get a lot of bang from one ball.

I know some other games like XM where you need to grind out a lot on each ball (In other words make significant progress early on) in order to have a good game. But on IM it seems you can putter about on a ball and still have great success on the game which I like, I don't feel like I need to re-start if I have a bad first ball on IM.

#1733 9 years ago

No stuck balls from air balls at all, only a few times stuck between Mongers legs but that I believe was from the magnet pushing the ball back towards Monger more than anything.

1 week later
#1795 9 years ago

Hey IM owners, I was wondering what Stern goes best with IM? .

As you can see, I have all Stern, no complaints.

I would highly recommend:

-Tron (similar rules are to IM kind of straightforward might be easy to get all the modes lit to get to SOS but very hard for me never been to Portal yet), great sound/music. Tron also it can be quite fast but doesn't fight back as much as IM but highly recommended.

-PotC while this is kind of the exact opposite type game to IM, in that it's stop and go and not very ramp/loop intense. But Kids and casual players love it and it's easy for novice but still hard for experienced players.

-AcDc premium is truly a great game, and it's nice because there are many paths or many ways to play rather than IM which is kind of the same each time.

-XMLE I have really grown to love but it may not be for everyone and it's shots may be harder than the others so can be more frustrating.

SM and ST are good but LONG games, I have not warmed up to them as much as the others. But I do think they are great games, but I need more time to figure out.

#1801 9 years ago

Rai, you are a rarity here on Pinside - you have been a 10 year member and all you own is Sterns (and good ones at that)!
Thanks for the list and the explanations. I am lining up locals who said they would let me play their games to help me decide.

I wish I could own more, but had to move my Williams / Bally to get my Stern, I have owned/sold T2, STTNG, TZ, IJ, CFTBL (twice) and TOTAN even BOP. So you see I have owned a lot of great older games. But IMO the Stern games have been more reliable and more interesting rules.

Once I sold my CFTBL missed it so I got one back but next to Tron and AcDc it was not getting played seemed very old fashioned. I like it a lot but it does not compare to my newer games IMO.

Sometimes though it seems there can be too much complexity, I was not able to understand LOTR or TSPP so while they rate highly I was never able to get into those.

I am intrigued by TWD but can't think of which machine I would have to sell to make room.

I was unsure about IM initially when people said it had short / simple rules but to me, next to my other games it's so different than the others (Tron is the closest) that I just keep pressing start over and over can play 10 games in a row, but on PotC or SM more likely to play one or two games and move on.

Was really surprise by PotC since I wanted to sell it more than games like TZ or IJ but I like condition and my PotC is like new while my BW games were more like 7/10 condition so I elected to keep the condition game but find that I really like Pirates, don't play it a lot because I owned it for 7 years but whenever i do play it it's very fun.

#1804 9 years ago
Quoted from Multiball1:

If I love fast games, IM, NF, T2, BK2K ... And really appreciate the soundtrack on IMVE, will I love Tron as well?
Never played IM but heard all the hype and purchased IMVE. If I want a Tron I may have to go down that same road of purchasing before play and wanted to get a sense of whether it's a guaranteed home run like IM was for me.
Thanks.

I had never played a game of Tron before I got mine, but it was the best decision I ever made, I really love Tron.

Not *as* fast as IM but let's say IM is rated at 10 (fastest game) Tron might be 8-9 on that scale, very little waiting around, lots of loops and flow. Plus IMO Tron is slightly better looking and arguably has the better sound/music and call outs and IMO while both rules are excellent, Tron seems to have a few more things to do.

IMO if I had to pick my favorite Stern games ever I would say IM Tron (tie).

Just my own opinion.

#1817 9 years ago

Interesting comments -by chance can I ask you to finish rating the Sterns in your collection? Please tell.

I do like all my pins, for a while, PotC was never played but I've come around. I still don't play it as much as my other games. I would rate it as my slowest game, kind of wood choppy but I like it with it's theme, humor and to me interesting Jack the monkey ramp ad and signature sinking ship. Speed is kind of slow for the most part. Too much Stop and go especially in the saucer by the pops. Long game for the most part.

ST and SM they are very similar, same-ish. Same/similar 3 flippers 3 ramps. Similar in speed like Tron. both are medium stop and go but not as much as PotC but more stop and go than Tron. Both are very long games.

XMLE looks like a reverse Tron but more stoppage has both scoop like Tron but also stop at Xavier scoop and Magneto ball lock. I had not liked this game much but it has grown on me big time, I rate it very highly now, but it's another long game. Medium speed probably my second slowest game but more close to SM / ST / Tron than PotC. One of my only games with a real ball lock PotC has a semi ball lock in spinner. Another LONG game.

AcDc premium quick playing but a lot of stop and go with the cannon and the lower PF. The ball flies around the ramps and loops but the stops make it slower and longer than my top fast Tron and IM. Long games and deep rules but can play quick songs but overall a long game if you aim to see the whole game.

Tron fast quick rules, not a lot of stop and go. Fairly quick, not ultra short games but def my second shortest/simple game not too much wood choppy.

IM really fast, not much stop and go except for the up posts which pause the ball so you can see some animations. Really fast/short rules can see a lot on one ball (yay),

One feature I like a lot on many of my Stern games is the mini-loops such as cyclops loop or Quarra and Gem shots. As well as the side alleys such as the bell escape on AcDc or the side alley to the pops on IM, interesting use of space. The two games I would say are fairly vanilla or not too many odd shots on the PF are ST and SM but both do have side ramps which are nice.

Tron, and XM have nice side ramps but lack dual R-L ramps which I like on my other games: Acdc, SM, IM, ST all have dual front ramps that can be combo-ed.

PotC naturally is my least ramp flowy game.

#1818 9 years ago
Quoted from Kevgascan:

You rated AC/DC, spiderman and Star Trek ahead of Iron Man.

I rated those games slightly ahead of IM, and due to poor dots on IM. Plus some things like PF art is not the best on IM, STLE simply stunning with lighting effects and side rail lights etc..

I try to rate my games honestly, I see IM's DMD as it's most lacking feature, I give it a 1 out of 5, in honesty the DMD graphics is appalling If you look all my ratings they are quite close, I like all the themes pretty much IM no more than XM or Tron for example, but IM and SM both are lacking in DMD quality. Tron while using 1/3 split screen and movie clips is much better looking IMO.

IM music is ok, not as good as. Tron which is partly why I prefer Tron, I like IM overall gameplay but Tron is better looking and sounding which slightly puts it at the top.

2 weeks later
#1855 9 years ago
Quoted from Captive_Ball:

Picked up the MET Pro and the IM was delivered ....both on Friday. A great weekend for sure.

Interesting can you give any indication how they are similar or different? Strengths or weakness of each?

When I win the pinball charity sweepstakes, I can't decide if I want Met or TWD.

Met seems like a similar layout to IM in some regards.

#1858 9 years ago
Quoted from Captive_Ball:

Even though the layouts are similar....the game play/angles of most of the shots make them different to play. The right ramp on IM has to be a good shot to make it up. IM is so freaking fast, just trying to keep the ball alive is a challenge if you aren't hitting the shots.
MET is a bit more forgiving...and since it is so much deeper in rule set...you are constantly trying to figure out what shots you need for CIU.
I don't have them sitting next to each other either.....if I did that...someone (non-pinheads, might figure it out)

Thanks, I have SM and STLE sitting next to each other and those two are very close in shots even the behind the flipper shot (although that shot doesn't do much on SM). Also have Acdc premium not pictured. I would say ST and SM are like 90% identical but with much different rules.

image-863.jpgimage-863.jpg

3 weeks later
#1870 9 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

Oh yea, that is a bad spot for wear. I throw mylar on there when I get my games. Let us know what Stern says.

I don't think Stern will say anything. It's not even a visible area of the playfield, but if Stern does not replace wear items such as Wolverine bash toy, I doubt they will care about wear I the ball return area.

It would be like asking Stern to care about shooter lane wear. I would bet every game looks like this, it's the edge of the wood that does not mean there is a defect in the clear coat. IMO

Hope you are not expecting a new PF from Stern.

#1872 9 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

rai, thanks for the reply. I assume they will send me a piece of Mylar for free and maybe some new balls. The bigger reason is just to create a paper trail in-case other parts of the clear do the same thing. Maybe a few months it would warrant a new pf (I hope not).. So basically a C.Y.A..

Ok

I'd like to see about the Mylar, if there is a pre-cut piece I'd add that to all my games.

Does anyone know if there is a good piece of Mylar or where to buy it?

#1876 9 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/66-MMFT
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/66-MFT
I bought a piece of each just to have and plan to cut a piece and wrap it around the top/edge/bottom.

Thanks

#1877 9 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

What's so bad about Stern balls?

I should have taken a picture, but on my STLE the balls looked like they were rusted.

After that I always buy high quality balls a couple bucks each. One type for machines with or without magnets.

#1885 9 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Which have you found to be the best?

I don't know what's the best, but I pay for the better ones

These for games without magnets http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/PB116-SJ

These for games with magnets http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/PB116
Or http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1325

#1893 9 years ago
Quoted from thadawkins:

Just for my IMVE NIB yesterday!! Man is this game awesome. What are some must haves, mod wise for it? Also is there anything i should know issue wise?

Shaker is a must.

#1914 9 years ago
Quoted from Pintucky:

Mine came with the posts in the middle hole. I moved them to make the narrowest opening. Hell . . . that didn't change things much at all! Those out-lanes are brutal!!! Only option left is to put rubber bands around the posts and completely block them! Ha.

LOL

That's the point you are not supposed to have 20 minute balls

1 week later
#1930 9 years ago
Quoted from Pintucky:

I was one shot away from completing SOMETHING (didn't even know it at the time!), and quite by accident, I hit it . . . that spinner right up the middle . . . glanced up just as I shot it and saw I had just scored a whopping 50 million points for that one shot!
I still don't understand the rules, so I might not have completed all that I should have completed to 'whip' the game fully. If you beat Jerico, does that mean you had already completed every other obligation? Did I actually go into Wizard Mode and win? Or, is there something even BIGGER after Jerico. I can't imagine this though, I mean with 50 million points for that one shot!

Do or die hurry up, complete all character inserts, hit center shot to start hurry up hit center shot again to collect up to 50 million.

image-670.jpgimage-670.jpg
image-979.jpgimage-979.jpg

6 months later
#1970 8 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Since DOD multiball is so highly improbable for anyone to achieve, should rules on something like this be changed so it has some chance of attainability?
Rob

I wish, even if it were a menu setting to lessen the requirement *somewhat* at least it would be a goal. Now it's not even something I think about as being possible (by me).

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 26.50
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rai.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/im-ve-owners-post-here?tu=rai and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.