(Topic ID: 23434)

IM v Tron v X-Men Favorite Borg?

By Shapeshifter

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“If you could have only one of the above Pro version, which one would you choose?”

• IM 39 votes
      26%
    • Tron 69 votes
      47%
    • X-Men 41 votes
      28%

(Multiple choice - 148 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

borg1.gif
    There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 11 years ago

Been thinking about Borg's trifecta and wondering if any consensus on which is his best pin? I know X-Men has early code.

If possible choose from Pro versions.

My thoughts are that IM is an awesome fast, addictive, simple game.

Tron is a bit deeper and a great theme, flow, lights etc.

X-Men is also fast and furious but is it too deep for the average player?

Think I would choose IM at the moment.

#2 11 years ago

I have to go Tron just becasue I have so much more time on it that Xmen but really like Xmen.

IM was a total bore for me personally.

#3 11 years ago

I'm still at Tron myself; though I do think XMen has the potential to pass Tron in my personal view . . . it just hasn't yet.

#4 11 years ago

pfew, though one! I'm going with Tron... for now.

#5 11 years ago

Tron FTW!

Iron Man second

X-Men third

#6 11 years ago

I found tron rather boring.
    Iron man i would say is a good pin.
    Xmen all the way its a players pin.
    But in the end to each their own.

#7 11 years ago

I like Tron, then Xmen then IM. They are all good ones.

#8 11 years ago

The funny thing about poor Tron LE is it was hammered so bad by the B/W fanboys when it (properly in my view) de-throned MM that it is now ranked below the Pro version . . . such clear bias and protectionism for B/W.

#9 11 years ago

Right now I'm

1.Tron (LE)
    2. X-Men (LE)
    3.Avatar (LE)
    4. Ironman

Post edited by Rarehero : AVATAAAARRRR!!!!!

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Been thinking about Borg's trifecta and wondering if any consensus on which is his best pin? I know X-Men has early code.
    My thoughts are that IM is an awesome fast, addictive, simple game.
    Tron is a bit deeper and a great theme, flow, lights etc.
    X-Men is also fast and furious but is it too deep for the average player?
    Think I would choose IM at the moment.

Actually, I think IM has a deeper ruleset than Tron does (Jericho, Do or Die, Do or Die Multiball vs SoS and Portal). However Tron has a much better lightshow and has a theme very applicable to pinball. I haven't played X-Men yet, but would give the slight edge for myself personally to IM over Tron, but only by a hair. Wouldn't mind owning them both.

#11 11 years ago

I really like all three of these games pretty equally so far, though I have by far the least time on X-men. I think they are all great.

-ben

#12 11 years ago

Too early to vote on Xmen as the code isn't finished yet. I feel TRON is a better game than IM, and Xmen may turn out to be the best of the bunch. All 3 are great games, imo.

#13 11 years ago

>>IM v Tron v X-Men Favourite Borg?

#14 11 years ago

You can't go wrong with either Iron Man or Tron IMO. Both fast and brutal, both amazing games. Haven't played XMen yet so can't comment on that one.

#15 11 years ago

1. X-Men, I just love the gameplay on this one Borg hit a homerun with the layout. I think once it is out for a while and the code gets improved upon this will really be one popular pin to play and own.
    2. Tron, While I really enjoy playing Tron it falls short of being as fun (to me) as X-Men.
    3. IM, this pin will kick your ass and do it in quick order. I just never could get into it as some have.

#16 11 years ago

Xmen

borg1.gifborg1.gif

#17 11 years ago

Just get all 3 and you don't have to think about it.

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from jackal2001:

Just get all 3 and you don't have to think about it.

Nice - you have all three

So rank em

#19 11 years ago

jackal thats a hell of a stern lineup!

ACDC and LOTR and you have the full set imho.

#20 11 years ago

1. X-Men (art package, smooth shots and layout)
    2. Tron (sound package and fast layout)
    3. IM (haven't put much time on it)

#21 11 years ago

I'd put IM over Tron every day of the week. I've yet to play X Men so no comparison there.

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Tron FTW!
    Iron Man second
    X-Men third

+1

#23 11 years ago

I have all 3
    TRON LE then X-MEN LE then IM . They are all good.

#24 11 years ago

I have Tron and XM LE.
    Although I enjoy both a lot, I still think Tron has a very addictive quality and it's so immersive with that cool soundtrack and theme. I'll wait until the XM 1.3 update before passing final judgement though. Both are excellent pins.

#25 11 years ago

For me, based on pretty limited play:

X-Men
    Ironman
    Big Buck Hunter
    Rolling Stones
    Tron

I know I'm a weirdo. It's not too much of an insult as I really do enjoy Avatar, BBH, and TRS quite a bit...very underrated games. I just can't seem to get into Tron much though...donno why.

#26 11 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I have to go Tron just becasue I have so much more time on it that Xmen but really like Xmen.
    IM was a total bore for me personally.

XM > Tron > IM

X-men is pretty damn good pin that has a lot going on. Tron is okay, but should have been so much more. IM does almost nothing for me.

#27 11 years ago

X-Men > IM > Tron

I'd throw in GNR, BBH, and Avatar as some of his better pins as well, but I don't think I'd put Tron ahead of any of them as a player, though one can't argue the theme is well done. BBH and Avatar are similar to IM designed with short ball times and straight up fun.

#28 11 years ago

All three are undoubtedly a blast and have their own merits, but for me it breaks down as follows:

1. X-Men (theme, art package, depth)
    2. IM (theme, brutal gameplay)
    3. Tron (flow and sound package, but falls below the others because of theme and art package)

#29 11 years ago

Pretty hard for me to decide as 90% of my collection is made up of Borgs latests creations but I'd say:
    TRON > Xmen > IM (& Avatar) joint.

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from Jediturtle:

For me, based on pretty limited play:
    X-Men
    Ironman
    Big Buck Hunter
    Rolling Stones
    Tron
    I know I'm a weirdo. It's not too much of an insult as I really do enjoy Avatar, BBH, and TRS quite a bit...very underrated games. I just can't seem to get into Tron much though...donno why.

Borg didn't design Stones. It was Tom Kopera.

#31 11 years ago

Im going to go with this ordering (I would like to own each off this list):
    1) Tron
    2) Xmen
    3) Ironman
    4) Avatar
    5) GnR
    6) TFTC
    7) BBH

Rest: dont care.
    My GnR is here next week. BBH will probably be next.

#32 11 years ago

To me, Iron Man may just be the *perfect* game. I doubt that there will ever be a game that I like nearly as much.

#33 11 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

To me, Iron Man may just be the *perfect* game. I doubt that there will ever be a game that I like nearly as much.

It's pretty f'in good, that's for sure!

Quoted from markmon:

My GnR is here next week. BBH will probably be next.

Congrats Mark. I'll be picking up BBH later this week.

#34 11 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

For me, what I love about pinball is the whole risk and reward of shooting each shot, as well as the ability to make different strategies in your game that can pay off in different ways. Of all the games that I have ever played, I cannot think of one other one where literally *every* shot in the game can be dangerous if you don't hit it perfectly, but perfect shots can negate that danger. There is no room for slop anywhere.

...and, you have SO many different strategies on how to accomplish your goals. Do you try to start Monger, or Bogey, or get everything close to set for one big run and hope for Do or Die, or what. I play it *completely* differently when I am playing alone and against friends, as my alone strategy tends to be very risky, where I shoot for things that are slightly less so when playing in a group.

I need more time on Tron. Actually, if anyone would like to tell me what the heck is going on with that game, the half-dozen or so times I've played it, I honestly have no clue what I'm doing. Seems cool for what it is though.

#35 11 years ago

I haven't played XM yet, but my Borg top three would be...

1. Tron:LE
    2. MSF
    3. IM

- Binks

#36 11 years ago

What about?

JP
    GnR
    TFTC

No old school love? Really like his new stuff. X-men is really growing on me, and I don't want to compare it to the other two until it is done.

#37 11 years ago
    Quoted from jimjim66:

What about?
    JP
    GnR
    TFTC
    No old school love? Really like his new stuff. X-men is really growing on me, and I don't want to compare it to the other two until it is done.

Its a pretty clear question on the 3 games. No love for reading the post title?

#38 11 years ago

This is a tough one as I like all three. I will have to go with Xmen since it is the one I own.
    IM - Good looking, nice sounds, Simple, fast, brutal yet fun
    Tron LE- Awesome light show and music. Fast, brutal and fun.
    Xmen LE- Beautiful art, good sounds, Lots to do, brutal and fun.
    Seems to be a theme going.

#39 11 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Its a pretty clear question on the 3 games. No love for reading the post title?

I forgot that on internet forums people always just keep to the topic- I must have been the only one to mention a pin other than the 3 he mentioned.

- Oh wait, crap, at least 4 others did too, what in the hell is the world coming to?

#40 11 years ago

Everyone keeps saying xmen is brutal, I really think it is more of a long ball time type of game. Not SM or FGY long but certainly not kick your butt from the plunge like Tron can be.

#41 11 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

I'm looking forward to your opinion on that game. I've never gotten to play it, and since you've owned IM, Tron, Xmen, etc I'd like to see how you think it compares.

#42 11 years ago

If Borg goes to England does he become Bourg?

#43 11 years ago
    Quoted from jimjim66:

- Oh wait, crap, at least 4 others did too, what in the hell is the world coming to?

Great job!

#44 11 years ago

On what? The posts were before mine- and he specifically mentioned:

Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Yet, half the posts were on how great/bad LE's are.

Jarjarisgod, Markmon, JonM, Jediturtle, Max_Badazz, Tweedlefuzz all mentioned other games, and you single out my post? Really?

To get back to the topic then:
    Iron Man (best flow)
    Tron (add EL wire and you are close to a LE, awesome looking pin)
    X-men (code not done, and other reasons why it is not as good as IM to me)

#45 11 years ago

If we're talking Pro only, Iron Man probably would be my choice. Very high tension game, and at the same time you can use it as a great training machine.

If we're allowing the LE/Premium, XMen is an easy choice for me. XMen without the magnetic-spinner-thing though seems kinda silly, would be like tron without the disk.

But I really enjoy XMen LE - In a lot of ways I feel like XMen is Tron-only-better, feels like he fixed a bunch of problems with the layout (Gem was nigh impossible to hit; rogue is reasonable, jets on tron are dangerous enough to make the outer loop a shot you avoid; xmen jets are safe, arcade scoop not backhandable; blackbird scoop is, nothing good to shoot on tron from left flipper most of the time;xmen right flipper has xavier and wolverine (plus disk/magneto, orbit-through-jets, and a scoop that usually isnt worth shooting, which are present on both)), added some interesting rules and, maybe best of all, brought back the traditional extra-ball-lit-after-completing-n-modes.

#46 11 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

If Borg goes to England does he become Bourg?

WTF? Of course!

Quoted from RobT:

Cool. It's a fun and underrated game. I am not sure why it's generally disliked.

#47 11 years ago

1. X-Men
    2. Tron
    3. IM

X-Men just barely over Tron.
    Both X-Men & Tron easily over IM imo.

GNR pin is cool. Would like to have one someday.

Avatar: I've enjoyed it somewhat playin it out in the wild. Theme not my cup of tea. I'll play a few games out on location, but no plans to buy one for my home collection.

BBH: played it out in the wild, ...wouldn't want to own it.

#48 11 years ago

1.Tron
    2.X-men
    3.IM

#49 11 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Borg didn't design Stones. It was Tom Kopera.

Doh! Brain fade. My bad. Still like it more than Tron though..LOL!

I probably just need more time on Tron. It should be my type of game, but I just haven't bonded with it. X-Men though...that was love at first plunge. I haven't even played the updated software yet! Can't wait to try out a Pro too and see how it compares. I have a feeling it may end up being like Transformers where I slightly prefer the Pro even though the LE is awesome too.

#50 11 years ago

Well, I have owned TRON, and still own IM, so that answers that
    1. IM
    2. TRON

But I have never owned or even played an Xmen so I really can't vote yet

For sure after expo, I will have an opinion

There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/im-v-tron-v-x-men-favourite-borg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.