Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by DCRand
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

source.gif
    sparky (resized).jpg
    #1 4 years ago

As of right now I’m having to argue with someone about the various voltages throughout an EM machine. What better way to settle it than to ask the experts. So here we are.

What does each area of the machine get voltage wise (I.e play field, coin door, relays, score motor etc) and they are also arguing what’s lethal to touch and what’s safe while Unit is on.

So from the start, Transformer converts it... and go!

#2 4 years ago

You've got to give me a year, make, and model, or there is no way I can give you an estimate.

Foreign or domestic would help too.

#3 4 years ago

Since it's an EM. Know what the F you are doing.

LTG : )

#4 4 years ago

For their sake, I hope they aren't running 220v in Canada.

#5 4 years ago

As others have stated it depends on the game, and manufacturer.

Generally on the games schematic the voltages are labelled. 110v, 25 volts, and could have a 6v circuit. If the EM machine has plastic insulation on the wires that is usually 110v. Yes, you can quite the zap!

#6 4 years ago

Grab ahold of one of those 50 volt coils like they used on Williams and Bally and see if that doesn't make your hair stand up.

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from icanswim70:

...and they are also arguing what’s lethal to touch and what’s safe while Unit is on...

About the lethal voltage: Here's a quick read: https://www.brighthubengineering.com/power-plants/89792-ac-and-dc-shock-comparison/

It's really about the current. A better way to phrase the question is "What voltage would produce a xxmA of current which is considered serious a health hazard?"

On a related sidenote, as a teenager I built a Tesla coil that put out 250,000 volts, but essentially had no current capability. While the voltage was enough, it couldn't supply the current to cause serious harm - I could hold a fluorescent bulb and light it dimly up in my hand. You would likely feel the 48V from a solenoid coil.

#8 4 years ago

You probbaly know this but an old fashion suck off is the only way to settle a dispute once and for all.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

I built a Tesla coil that put out 250,000 volts, but essential had no current capability. While the voltage was enough, it couldn't supply the current to cause serious harm

Like those GM HEI ignitions with 50,000 volts were enough to make you jump back and crack your melon on the hood, but they wouldn't electrocute you.

It was fun though to use those to charge a condenser and then hand it to a manager or salesman that really didn't know much about cars.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from icanswim70:

What does each area of the machine get voltage wise (I.e play field, coin door, relays, score motor etc) and they are also arguing what’s lethal to touch and what’s safe while Unit is on.

Voltages are not confined to specific parts of the game. You can have any of the game's voltages including line voltage (110 or 220 volts) on the coin door, score motor, relays and solenoids. It's less common to have line voltage in the back box but I wouldn't rule it out.

Beyond line voltage, EMs typically have 25 or 50 volts for the mechanics and 6 volts for the lights. None of these are safe if you don't know what you're doing.

/Mark

#11 4 years ago

In my experience the real good ones make you scream when you touch them, the medium ones give you a good zap which will test your reflexs', the little ones just give you light pulsing buzz. Good times...

#12 4 years ago

sparky (resized).jpgsparky (resized).jpg

#13 4 years ago

Man! I wish football season would hurry up and get here............

#14 4 years ago

You say you want to settle and argue?

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

You probbaly know this but an old fashion suck off is the only way to settle a dispute once and for all.

I keep telling my marriage counselor this but no one is listening to me.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Like those GM HEI ignitions with 50,000 volts were enough to make you jump back and crack your melon on the hood, but they wouldn't electrocute you.

That's because it is DC. DC is like a hammer. AC is the dangerous one because of (not the voltage or the current) the frequency. 60 Hertz is very close to the frequency that your heart beats. AC/60 Hertz can kill at very small voltages/currents. "So its the frequency that kills you" So if the frequency doesn't do it then your shock is directly proportional to how well your grounded and the water content of your body. (different people get shocked differently)

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

For their sake, I hope they aren't running 220v in Canada.

Euro current (for lack of a better word) is 220v/50 Herts. Actually safer to be hit by that. Less current more voltage safer frequency.

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Grab ahold of one of those 50 volt coils like they used on Williams and Bally and see if that doesn't make your hair stand up.

Williams uses 25. Bally uses 50 (43 technically).

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

About the lethal voltage: Here's a quick read: https://www.brighthubengineering.com/power-plants/89792-ac-and-dc-shock-comparison/
    It's really about the current. A better way to phrase the question is "What voltage would produce a xxmA of current which is considered serious a health hazard?"
    On a related sidenote, as a teenager I built a Tesla coil that put out 250,000 volts, but essentially had no current capability. While the voltage was enough, it couldn't supply the current to cause serious harm - I could hold a fluorescent bulb and light it dimly up in my hand. You would likely feel the 48V from a solenoid coil.

Thanks for posting the article! A lot of great info

#20 4 years ago

And that is why I only work on the machine while it is off and unplugged!

The machine is the 76 Sure Shot, and we all know the weird voltages running through 70s Gottlieb Machines. ZAP!

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from icanswim70:

And that is why I only work on the machine while it is off and unplugged!
    The machine is the 76 Sure Shot, and we all know the weird voltages running through 70s Gottlieb Machines. ZAP!

There are times you need to test a machine with it on. For that, I use the eraser end of a pencil to hit switches and actuate relays and such. I don't know much about the currents and voltages on EMs, but I do know that I'd rather not be laying on the floor with my heart not beating with the wife and kids upstairs!

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

There are times you need to test a machine with it on. For that, I use the eraser end of a pencil to hit switches and actuate relays and such. I don't know much about the currents and voltages on EMs, but I do know that I'd rather not be laying on the floor with my heart not beating with the wife and kids upstairs!

Very True, I use a highlighter or a sharpie as the plastic acts as an ideal barrier from the electrical currents, as well as a 4 foot wooden stick (haha) when the playfield is down.

#23 4 years ago

Kick each other in the junk, the man left standing wins.
    You go first, then just concede you lost the argument.

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Williams uses 25. Bally uses 50 (43 technically).

Williams also used 50. I've got several.

#25 4 years ago

If it's with your wife/girlfriend just say honey you're right and slowly back away!!!

#26 4 years ago

You won't know until you lick it. Since this is an argument, maybe you both should lick it and see who can keep licking the longest.

I find that applies to many areas in life.

(disclaimer: don't actually lick it)

#27 4 years ago
    source.gifsource.gif
    #28 4 years ago
    Quoted from whthrs166:

60 Hertz is very close to the frequency that your heart beats.

Your heart beats 60 times per SECOND???? 60 beats per MINUTE at rest is more like it!

#29 4 years ago

DC will kill you quicker. Google Tesla vs Edison and the Electric Chair. But, DC doesn't travel distances as well as AC so AC won the standards battle. Despite Mr Edison's considerable influence.Plus, it's easier to get DC from AC than the reverse.

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from 64bsstp:

DC will kill you quicker. Google Tesla vs Edison and the Electric Chair. But, DC doesn't travel distances as well as AC so AC won the standards battle. Despite Mr Edison's considerable influence.Plus, it's easier to get DC from AC than the reverse.

Then Mr. Edison went and made a fortune off Mr. Tesla's invention.

#31 4 years ago

I guess 110 can kill you in the right circumstances, and it's better not to touch it if you can avoid it. But I've been hit with 110 more times than I can count and I'm still here.

25v will not do anything to you. 6v you might not even feel.

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from 64bsstp:

...Despite Mr Edison's considerable influence.Plus, it's easier to get DC from AC than the reverse.

Ditto^^. And with AC you can run a higher voltage, which means less IR loss (e.g. use thinner wire), then step down thru a transformer to 120V. Can't do that with DC. Edison's DC would have seriously been the wrong choice!

#33 4 years ago

It also helps to use vinyl / rubber coated gloves. They won't stop everything, but have turned what would have been good zaps, into "oh, guess I touched something hot".

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/im-trying-to-settle-and-argument and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.