pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0049 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6661.gif
2006-The-Departed-03-2254582836 (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-03-21 at 16-45-23 3 Body Problem (2024) (resized).png
s-l1600aaa (resized).jpg
2222 (resized).jpg
s-l960 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rai.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

I love Lost, Sopranos, Breaking Bad etc..

I love BB now but at first I couldn't get into the first 2 episodes but after I tried and forced myself into the series I was hooked.

I am looking maybe for something that I need to force myself to watch but will grab me if I push on.

I am confident I'll love TWD and GOT but I'm waiting for a while to binge watch those.

I was trying to find a TV show to begin that I'd not seen before. Looking at Amazon Prime or Netflix

I watched ''The night of' 'Goliath' and both seasons of 'Fargo' first two were ok Fargo both were good.

Season one of 'Better call Saul' was just ok not sure if I'll watch any more.

Was curious if I should give these shows any more chances?

Liked the first True Dective but only watched one episode of the second because it seemed lame.

I started to watch a cop show called 'The Killing' and was halfway into season one and just kind of gave up because they were working in too many plot twists like the political aspect which seemd forced.

I watched 2 episodes of 'Mad Men' and while it's well done, I have not seen any skin at all and seems like a 'Desperate Housewives' set on the 50's. I will give it a try but not sure if it's going to get any better. Not sure if I should continue.

Watched 2 episodes of 'The man in the high castle' which I should like but I have not got into the characters like I just don't care that much about them. Not sure if I should continue.

I just watched the pilot of 'Twin Peaks' has potential but I'm not sure if I want to push on.

Watched one episode of 'Dark Angle' not sure if I should continue

Watched season one of House of Cards after they killed Kate Mara in the second season.

One episode do 'Shameless'

Three episodes of 'Halt and catch fire'

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from Mfsrc791:

What about Westworld?

I'm getting my Apple TV so I can watch HBO go that will be a good option.

I'm like halfway through 'Bardwalk Empire' not sure if it's ant good, certainly it's not as good as Sopranos

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Better Call Saul

Watched season one was just ok, wanted it to be more intense like BB it's more milk toast.

Also not crazy about old actors playing characters that are supposed to be decades younger.

#12 7 years ago

I will watch a series that's just starting I prefer a complete series so I can binge watch.

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from Procrastinator:

Season 2 is a lot better. He starts to become the Saul goodman we all know and love

I just wish Mike wasn't so old he's starting to look like Gollum.

#18 7 years ago

Halt and catch fire

I really didn't like any of the character yet (3 episodes). Last episode the main character just starts making out with a dude for no apparent reason.

#20 7 years ago

Mad dogs think I watched 15 minutes didn't really hook me.

#26 7 years ago

BSG. Saw it, but seems like Lost was best early uneven later on.

Like Narcos but don't like to stop every year so I may wait until it's got more seasons done.

Watched Deadwood was very good imo.

#32 7 years ago

I never saw lost when it was on but watched it two times now, so-so ending but still one of my favorite shows of all time.

#55 7 years ago

Yes. Thanks.

I think my problem is trying to be hooked after 1-2 episodes.

I have watched Justified, Homeland, many others just 1-2 episodes in.

It was same for me with Breaking Bad where I didn't like it until I was already 10-20 episodes in but then I loved it.

#56 7 years ago

Any advice if I should continue with Twin Pesks?

#59 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballerchef:

Didn't see it mentioned here but I just finished off season 2 of The Man in High Castle on Amazon prime......really love the story on this one. The tie in with Hitler, the Chinese, and America......some butterfly effect action....solid cast so far. It is slightly fantastical but it's working for me.

I just watched episodes 1-2 of High Castle.

Kind of ok, Maybe need to give it a longer look.

Narcos is very good just saw season - but very interesting.

#89 7 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

What's old got to do with it? He's a bad mofo & I bet he could kick your ass!!

Guess so, but he's supposed to be playing someone in his late 50's when he looks every bit of 70.

#92 7 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

If you have Amazon Prime try "The Man in the High Castle".

Watched 2 episodes just seems meh so far.

I guess the bottom line is many shows you have to invest time watching many episodes before you can tell if you like it or not.

#118 7 years ago
Quoted from kklank:

Not sure what you're waiting for on Game Of Thrones. It's spectacular and there's only 2 seasons left. And it's a pinball machine! Cmon!

I am reading the GOT books, don't know if I should watch the series or read the series first and neither one is finished.

I hear the books and the TV show might diverge somewhat is that so?

I was trying to wait for TWD or GOT to be completed before watching.

I did this with Lost and Breaking bad and BSG never watched a minute before they were totally complete.

#119 7 years ago

I hear the Tudors was good?

#142 7 years ago

thanks all. Surprised nobody mentioned Freaks and Geeks?

Great cast and this is exact time I went to HS
freaks (resized).jpgfreaks (resized).jpg

#143 7 years ago

have only watched episode 1 of Shameless. I thought it was so-so.

I watched 1-2 episodes of Ray Donavan. So-so

I think I have a problem since I watch hundreds of movies, that I believe you need to get hooked in the first 30-40 minutes of something,. I mean if I'm watching a movie and I make it 40 minutes in, I can bail knowing that I won't like it or just watch the end its only another 40 minutes. But with a TV series it could be a 70 hour commitment. With a TV series I guess maybe you need to watch many episodes before making a decision.

#146 7 years ago
Quoted from balzofsteel:

watches cop shows and has amazon prime - give Bosch a try.

OK, I just watched the trailer and wasn't blown away, but it has gotten some recommends on this thread.

#147 7 years ago

Right now, I think I am going to watch Twin Peaks and/or Mad Men since I started them already.

As for Halt and Catch Fire I have watched 3 episodes and none of the characters appeals to me (no hot chicks is certainly a minus, say what you want about Lost but there were some babes on that show).

JulietS5b (resized).jpgJulietS5b (resized).jpglost (resized).jpglost (resized).jpg

#175 7 years ago

I forgot to say watched Band of Brothers, was ok but not great, The Pacific was not as good imo

#176 7 years ago

I'm watching Twin Peaks, it's pretty good so far.

1 week later
#211 7 years ago

great ideas, I can probably spend the next 5 years catching up on the shows mentioned.

I have heard Halt and Catch Fire mentioned several times. I love the idea, and I've read a few non-fiction books on the subject of early computers such as a book about PARC, a book about Microsoft and Google. I just can not get into the characters in the TV show. Still may give it a chance but more looking forward to Bates and TWD etc..

#220 7 years ago
Quoted from cycochris:

Quarry is good. pretty dark. set in 70's America.
» YouTube video

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll dig this thread up in a number of years. I really don't like getting involved on a show that's just one season in. Prefer to watch years at one time.

5 months later
#227 6 years ago

Just started with Mindhunter, it does start out slow but kind of realistic mundane things we all go through. But I think it's going to build (hopefully) like a long form of Silence of the lambs.

It's set in the late 70s too so that's cool since I grew up then.

#239 6 years ago

Have finished watching both GOT and TWD

#249 6 years ago

Great!

GOT has better production value but (as with the books) the story is very scattered all over the place, but very well done with the gottcha moments.

TWD (IMO) is more fun but seems as if some times the storyline can stall or get into dull areas and a lot of un-likely moments such as (the main example) Sasha coming out of the coffin at just the correct moment *this is too much of a Deus ex Machina moment* and such as the Kingdom showing up at just the right moment to disrupt another something.

I believe both shows were better early on, but especially TWD where it's getting very soap opera like and unbelievable, and some thing like Terminus are resolved too soon but some things like Woodburry and Negan plot line go on too long, and some characters like Carl and Carol get the hell on my nerves. Basically more TWD characters are annoying, whereas GOT characters are a lot more likable and GOT has more eye candy.

IMO Cerce and Tyron are the best characters.

Both shows have annoying characters and both shows have unrealistic battle scenes but I like the sword fights in GOT.

TWD gunfights are starting to get to the level of the A-team where the main people can just be in the middle of machine-gun fire and don't get a scratch.

*A Deus ex Machina is when some new event, character, ability, or object solves a seemingly unsolvable problem in a sudden, unexpected way. It's often used as the solution to what is called "writing yourself into a corner," where the problem is so extreme that nothing in the established setting suggests that there is a logical way for the characters to escape. If a bomb is about to go off, someone finds a convenient bomb-proof bunker in easy reach. If a protagonist falls off a cliff, a flying robot will suddenly appear to catch them.

4 months later
#260 6 years ago

I’m almost done ‘Justified’ which I love.

Season 1 was just ok but the rest is great.

#263 6 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

If you liked Walton Goggins in Justified, you gotta watch Vice Principals. Completely different character, but another excellent performance!

Thanks he had started to get on my radar, see him in The Hateful Eight.

#305 6 years ago
Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

Not a new series, and probably mentioned a few times but started watching Black mirror recently and enjoy it - except the first episode which is just borderline disgusting, skip it or watch it last. Every episode is different and not tied to the others so no need to binge watch them in order

Just watched episode 1 was disturbing.

1 week later
#328 6 years ago

Side note: watched Twin Peaks Fire Walk with Me.

It’s out there, a prequel to the original series so not much of Agent Cooper.

But sad they replaced Lara Flynn with another actress.

The movie is not great but has some great moments and very disturbing.

1 month later
#355 6 years ago

I’m just starting Bates Motel (one episode so far) looks good. I’d also like to watch Mad Men.

#360 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Bates motel is absolutely amazing, not a bad episode out of the whole 5 seasons. My two favorite TV shows are Breaking Bad and Bates Motel.

Great to hear, I like seeing people from Lost as supporting roles in other shows like was a few in Justified, saw the actor who played Richard in Lost is in Bates. See they have show runner in common Lost and Bates Motel.

Breaking Bad and Sopranos and Lost are a few of my favorite shows. Justified was great as well.

#373 5 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions, there’s so many TV shows out there new and old, it would take me forever to watch half of what I’d like. Not to mention movies lol

I can not believe the quality of TV shows now, even the meh shows like TWD current are worth watching, and I still have shows to rewatch like Breaking Bad and Deadwood not to mention half the shows mentioned here I’ve not even started to watch (Westworld etc.).

#380 5 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Check out 'Bosch'. Some other Pinsiders have mentioned it. A crime drama that is well produced with many interesting episodes.

I watched 1-2 episodes but was not blown away by it but the same thing when I watched Justified first 1-2 episodes were not great but after a while it got great. Maybe I’ll get back to Bosch soon.

After Fargo 3 and Bates.

3 months later
#396 5 years ago

Just begun to watch Colony. So far I’d say it’s meh.

I’ve watched 4 episodes and trying to decide if I want to continue or cut it off.

Anyone have any advice?

I felt like Breaking Bad took me a while to get into, but as we know B.B. is well reviewed and praised as one of the best shows of all time.

I really liked Lost but that was more the opposite where it started off great and went plus/minus over time like TWD.

Is Colony just meh??

#400 5 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I liked Colony, but I wouldn't recommend it to someone at this point. The show recently got cancelled, and nothing was wrapped up at all, so you're really left hanging at the end.

Thanks, as you may know other shows have got canceled that are still worth watching Freaks and Geeks, Star Trek, Twin Peaks as an example.

So was it just meh all the way and not worth the time? I can rewatch Lost or BB again.

#413 5 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

They aren't "decades" younger.
Maybe 7-8 years.

Johnathon Banks is 71.

His character is supposed to be ~ 62 in Breaking Bad (probably was his age when filming B.B.).

Saul takes place ~ 6 years prior so Mike should be 50-something he’s played by an actor in his 70s.

I’m 50-something years old and he looks like my fathers age.

Odenkirk is 55 playing a character in his mid 30’s.

2 weeks later
#419 5 years ago

I’m watching Curb your enthusiasm is very funny.

I finished Bates Motel, didn’t feel as if it finished as strong as it started, last couple of seasons was ok not great.

#420 5 years ago

How is Penny Dreadful??

I like that era and subject matter but haven’t got around to watching it.

#425 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Wow this really surprises me. Bates motel to me was strong from start to finish and didnt have any bad episodes at all. Its my 2nd favorite TV series behind Breaking Bad.

Not me. The last episodes especially with Dylan and Emma they seem like completely different people than early with Dylan seeming like a robot acting wise. He was such a good edgy character in the early episodes then he’s all mister Mom in last season.

To me, once Norma died the show went down hill that was the when it jumped the shark.

2 weeks later
#437 5 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

If you are looking for something different, may I suggest the German TV series Babylon Berlin?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babylon_Berlin
A drama / crime series held in Berlin in 1929 during the Weimar republic.
Really good (Best seen in German, of course)... but not family friendly (sex, violence...)

I’ll need to see if that’s available in US.

1 month later
#450 5 years ago

I like Ozark some but it just seems too far fetched. Like it’s taking this from Breaking Bad and that from Sopranos this from Fargo but just isn’t as believable or realistic.

I’d wish the FBI agent was more like Agent Cooper from Twin Peaks or a tough but lovable agent like from Justified but instead he’s a totally unbelievable character who wouldn’t last two minutes in the real world.

#452 5 years ago

Bates started great but kind of declined a bit. IMO. Dare I say ‘Lost’ some of of it’s magic as it drags to the conclusion.

#454 5 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Season two was even more ridiculous than the first. I enjoyed both seasons, but it's definitely not a show that holds up under close scrutiny.

In real Mafia/Cartel world Marty would be dead by now, Ruth and family dead like episode 1.5.

FBI agent shoots up a bar and is undercover lover would not last long.

This is on the ‘Fargo’ spectrum of believability.

That’s why I liked Sopranos so much with real possibilities of jail or getting wacked.

1 month later
#471 5 years ago

It’s getting very crowded with new shows Disney and Apple are supposed to be joining the streaming market. I’ve noticed that shows like Ozark and Goliath are ok but really I just watched because of Billy Bob for Goliath and because I liked Breaking Bad so I watched Ozark. But overall the shows may end up being diluted if there are now hundreds of new shows on.

3 weeks later
#475 5 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

I am fully enjoying the third season of true detective.

I started to watch 2nd season but couldn’t got into that one.

I’m re-watching Breaking Bad now, something I do with Sopranos every few years will re-watch. I find (much like reading books) it’s often more rewarding to re-read a book you know you love than take a chance on something you are not sure of.

Movies I’m not that selective about because it’s just 2 hours not like a TV series or a book.

#477 5 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

I read today in the NYT that 2018 saw 495 original scripted programs up from 288 in 2012. Attributed in part to demand from Netflix and Hulu. Talk about dilution.
I am currently enjoying Vikings on Amazon.

I was thinking the same thing. With each show having dozens of people involved in front of behind the scenes. It’s probably easier than ever to get a job in TV.

Just to show how bad TV can get. Norm MacDonald had a talk show. I figure how bad can it be? I watched a bit it was Norm talking to David Spade almost like Norm would say “tell the story about this and such” and David goes “I don’t remember that how did it go?” And Norm would promt David about the story.

Talk about a low bar of entry for a TV show. I’ve seen better production on some podcasts.

#484 5 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

I thought it was hilarious, but I'm a big norm fan. Even his closest friends dont know whether hes doing a bit or an actual show. I hope you watched that episode to the end at least.

No, maybe should.

I lost interest when they were going to commercial and Spade said we don’t have commercials it’s Netflix bla bla.

#494 5 years ago

I love Breaking Bad don’t get me wrong.

But there are just a few things that are just too far fetched / coincidental that just probably could not happen.

*Breaking Bad and Sopranos SPOILERS below*

For example he meets air traffic controller dad who is distraught because daughters death causing an airplane to fall on his house. Not to mention all the red herring of the bomb/crash scene that lead up to ... nothing.

For example he sees that little kid on the news got killed so he drives his car to the exact location at the exact time to intercede and save Jessie.

There are other such coincidences that I’m sure were planned to make the story seem far fetched and unbelievable but they are too much over the top in some degree.

Sopranos has the same similar thing such as the hot water heater that floods the basement but in that instance it’s a coincidence but at least it’s plausable not like a freaking airplane falling out of the sky.

1 month later
#546 5 years ago
Quoted from Industen:

"Bosch" on Prime is very well done if you like L.A . Noire Crime drama

Just watched first 2 seasons. Was good especially the LA setting but I prefer Justified overall.

I think the second season was better than the first but overall was a lot of convenient plot tie ups.

#549 5 years ago
Quoted from boscokid:

Not really a TV series to watch but Nat Geo channel is showing the Oscar winning Free Solo documentary commercial free Sunday night at 9et and 10:45et.
Suffice to say this dude is insane to climb without ropes, and just watching the trailer made my palms sweat and stomach queasy.

I’ll look for that.

Here is the opening scene of MI 3. It’s a little corney but that got me interested in free solo videos.

#553 5 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

The guy in Free Solo actually did a critique of all the famous hollywood climbing scenes. He was pretty relaxed about it, didn't pick them apart too bad, and even some of the more gratuitous stuff he'd say something like "totally unrealistic, but so rad".

I was wondering something like that Tom Cruise climb made it seem like he was climbing the route for the first time which the real climbers don’t do.

Also I was curious how the guys get down after a free climb. It seems like some climbs you can go back a different rout even walk off or else they may bring some rope to get back down because obviously it’s so much harder to climb free down I would think.

2 weeks later
#559 5 years ago
Quoted from boscokid:

Bosch is entertaining. Love the LA feel, and the fact he can get from the Hills to downtown in 30 minutes. Season 5 is coming out in April

I’m liking Bosch as well.

My wife watches NCIS she said they can get from Quantico to the xyz place like it’s down the road a bit but in reality I’d be 2+ hr drive.

1 week later
#568 5 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I couldn't get past the first episode of this show. Does it get any better?

Ditto

#576 5 years ago

I watched episode one of True Detective 3 it was painful to watch.

#578 5 years ago

Just started to watch Mrs Maisel at first like 70% into first episode was a bit boring but it picked up and seems to be good.

Also re-watching Deadwood at the moment.

#582 5 years ago
Quoted from SteveO:

A pet peeve of mine that they do is play music like Elton John and Bowie, during the closing credits that came later than the 1950's early 1960's which is when the show takes place.

I noticed that too but doesn’t bother me, it’s just the mood or vibe that they are going for, not like they play Bowie on the radio during the show that would bother me.

Often I don’t care to watch the closing credits of TV shows because some don’t really have different music but I first noticed on The Sopranos and now this show. I think maybe it’s better to be noticed good or bad than just to skip past the ending credits.

2 months later
#588 4 years ago

Just watched season one of Big Little Lies. Not sure about it overall but had a few funny moments.

#589 4 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

I am biding my time now, waiting for the coming winter...
[quoted image]

They messed that up fairly well.

#592 4 years ago

So many shows out now it’s impossible to watch even 10% of them.

3 weeks later
#615 4 years ago

May have been mentioned but just watched ‘Chernobyl’ was excellent.

#638 4 years ago

I’m going to check out Dark and Stranger Things.

#647 4 years ago

I have all these pins at home but honestly only play like 60-90 minutes a week. Just love playing but not for game after game.

I probably watch as much YouTube as I play pinball and TV/movies/sports probably 5-10x as much as pinball.

1 month later
#657 4 years ago
Quoted from Dono:

We just finished 2nd season, it was better than season 2 we thought... focused on catching the Atlanta child murders|Wayne Williams... acting is very good all the way around.

Watched it as well, not really that gripping like what I’d prefer would be Silence of the Lambs.

2 months later
#661 4 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

For fans of Billie Bob Thornton, a 3rd season of Goliath starts in Oct.

Saw it, was ok. I mean it's a great vehicle for BBT but the overall story was just ok. But was some good Twin Peaks like moments.

1 month later
#676 4 years ago

Will watching the Watchman movie be helpful?

#686 4 years ago

Lost is awesome. I know the plot might’ve got lost near the end but still great TV. I just want to get on a plane with so many attractive people.

#694 4 years ago
Quoted from TRAMD:

I don't watch many TV shows and I will just quit watching a TV series if I am not enamored with it. Also, I make it a rule that I don't watch a TV show unless at least 3 different people recommend it to me. This seriously reduces how many shows I even start but it has rarely failed me. The following shows are the only ones that this has caused me to watch and my opinion of each:
Highly recommend:
Scrubs - one of my favorite shows ever. Great comedy and drama from start to finish. I am also a doctor and it is very medically accurate
Seinfeld - the greatest comedy series ever, IMO. I didn't start watching it until after they quit making new episodes. I am considering watching it again.
Breaking Bad - Simply the greatest series ever made. Plays out like an extended movie more than a TV show. I am currently watching it for a second time and it is awesome all over again.
Game of Thrones - This was ready to unseat Breaking Bad as the greatest show ever until they messed it up with the last season. Still awesome overall. Warning: The first two seasons are not as engrossing as later seasons but going through them is necessary and worth it. The third season is better but the fourth through the seventh is where it is truly great. Season 8 is the worst.
The Boys - Amazon Prime original and only one season completed but it is absolutely incredible. I cannot recommend it enough, especially if you are a superhero/comic fan.
Meh:
Big Bang Theory - I loved it at first but quit a little over halfway through the series as the themes became repetitive. I had it recommended to me as I have a physics degree and love Magic the Gathering and Dungeons and Dragons.
Walking Dead - The first couple of episodes were awesome but then I lost interest before the end of the first season and have never returned. I probably won't either.
No:
Sons of Anarchy - started to watch it but quit when my wife confirmed that every character I liked would die. Also, I considered Jace, the main character, to be an anti-hero and didn't like his character at all.
Jury's out:
Stranger Things - I loved the first season but just haven't felt compelled yet to return and watch seasons 2 and 3 yet.
Dexter - my most recommended show ever (5 people) but I haven't started it yet
Deadwood - recommended by 3 people. Haven't started it yet. Of note, I live about 30 miles away from Deadwood and my first job was there.
Another issue is that my stay-at-home wife is a prolific show watcher and has either seen almost every show or cheats and watches them ahead of me if we start one together. She has already seen all of Dexter, Deadwood and Stranger Things and most of my TV time is with her so that is probably why I haven't watched them yet.

Nice but did you forget Sopranos? Lost?

#708 4 years ago

Sopranos is great because it shows two sides one Mafia boss the other is father and husband and how he’ll try to discipline his sone because he does something wrong but at the same time he’s guilty of much worse. Also wife who knows about her husband but doesn’t want to *know* or doesn’t approve of but is still willing to live in a mansion paid for by crime and yet is a devout Catholic.

#712 4 years ago

Fleabag was really good. I wasn't sure and the first season was not as good as the second. But it's really short so not too much time commitment.

#723 4 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

Mandolorian is very good. Overall I would say it's the best series to come out this year.
Star Wars done very well.
It was number one.
Awards are coming. As well as more of the series. It's nice to see more than one thing happening in the Star Wars world.

I could take or leave Mando it’s so meh imo. Glad some people like it (helps my Disney stock).

3 months later
#781 3 years ago

I have started to watch Netflix Marvel series with mixed reviews. I love how much more gritty they can be than the Marvel movies but also don't love how they need to drag out the content to 10+ hours a series.

Daredevil season 1 great (a bit long and drawn out but worth it), season 2 I'm half point and it's still as good as season 1

Jessica Jones (good but too long drawn out, could have been 5 episodes) but is well worth watching just for Krysten Ritter

3 months later
#828 3 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

I don’t know if this has been recommended here, but Halt and Catch Fire is on Netflix - originally an AMC series - and it is fantastic.

I only watched like 1-2 episodes couldn’t get into it. But I’ll try again on your recommendation.

#829 3 years ago

I’m rewatching Big Bang Theory and Top Gear BBC on HBO max.

Now Dr Who is on HBO max I’ve never seen it. I don’t need to leave the house anymore.

I just watched 1 episode of Dark couldn’t understand what was happening.

#844 3 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

Cool. I really love that show. It's kinda inside baseball on the tech-y computer and internet stuff, though. The 4th season was one of the best in all of TV, as far as I am concerned.

I read this book about Xerox PARC where they developed such things as the mouse, the first PC, laser printer, Ethernet, etc. it’s really fascinating era of technology. Steve Jobs passes by for some inspiration.

https://www.amazon.com/Dealers-Lightning-Xerox-PARC-Computer-ebook/dp/B0029PBVCA/ref=nodl_

#847 3 years ago

I know there is a Survivor thread. But I’ll add here. Australia has their own version and several seasons starting with S3 on YouTube with commercials. It’s very good if you like the US series.

3 weeks later
#849 3 years ago

don't know if it's been posted already but Shitt's Creek is very good. It's actually getting better as it goes along. The Good place was good too but seemed to get worse after the first season.

3 weeks later
#877 3 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

I recently finished all the Rick & Morty and Future Man episodes too. I need a new 1/2 hour show to watch. Rick & Morty was awesome. I'd never even heard of it until the pinball game came out but once I saw the first episode I was hooked.

Have you watched Shitts Creek? It gets better as it goes on.

1 week later
#887 3 years ago

Cobra Kai is good.

It kind of reminds me of those old 80s movies that you love but looking at them realistically you’d say they aren’t great but just as entertainment they work. I’m talking about something like the movie ‘Jonny be good’ or ‘Sixteen Candles’ etc.

#890 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

And it's one of those rare shows that just keeps getting better with each season.

I’m just on season 3 but I’ll start laughing just from the actors facial expressions and mannerisms or even the clothes they’re wearing.

1 month later
#937 3 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

Catching up on walking dead. It is about to hit the fan.
They are about to meet a guy named negan

this is about the best and last time TWD will be good.

1 week later
#942 3 years ago

Is anyone watching ‘The Flight Attendant’?

I watched episode one but not sure if it’s worth continuing.

1 week later
#960 3 years ago

new episode of The Grand Tour today (haven't watched it yet)

80523FC4-7C78-4DAD-BF1F-0EAABE462FBC (resized).jpeg80523FC4-7C78-4DAD-BF1F-0EAABE462FBC (resized).jpeg

#961 3 years ago
Quoted from EJS:

Great show! Too short.

I only started to watch but halfway in the first episode the show seems to be dragging for me.

1 week later
#985 3 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

If you enjoyed Battle Royale, I strongly recommend Alice in Borderlands on Netflix. I binged it in a day, it's violent and twisted in a typical japanese way.

That sounds great going to give it a look.

1 week later
#998 3 years ago

great tips. I need to find more tube time.

4 months later
#1110 2 years ago

I’m watching ‘Mare of Easttown’ on HBO

It’s pretty good set in a fictionalized Philly burbs nearby where I’m from. They say it’s got great Philly accents but to me it’s a bit thick over exaggerated, I can hear it somewhat true.

Only thing is they make the town look halfway like Appalachian, now I’m not saying the burbs are super snooty like Big Little Lies (Monterey) but I don’t remember it being that Hicksville but maybe some parts are like Bethel township and it’s filmed in Aston PA.

1 month later
#1127 2 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

Just finished up Manifest and about half through Mare of Easttown. Probably going to watch session 6 or 7 of Australian Survivor next for a change of pace.

I'm on episode 5-6 of Manifest not sure how I feel about it yet.

3 months later
#1212 2 years ago

I started watching Manifest. Almost done season 1 but can’t decide if I should give it up or keep watching. Supposedly Netflix picked up the show to finish season 4.

I really loved Lost every tho it got off track or messed around in the later seasons I would watch List again but the characters are a lot better than those in Manifest.

#1233 2 years ago
Quoted from dug:

Anyone that enjoys WWII movies / mini series should definitely watch Generation War. It’s a 4 part mini series in German with subtitles. Excellent watch… if you liked band of brothers you should enjoy it.

Thanks, what network is this on?

2 weeks later
#1249 2 years ago
Quoted from EarlGrey:

I'd argue that The Wire is the best series to date. Tells a complete story from multiple viewpoints, is strong every season, has great actors, and is a real story. Yes, the tech is a bit dated from today's view, but the story is not. *minor spoiler* - How different is Baltimore today from the one depicted in the show from 15 years ago?
All the other series in its class (Sopranos, Deadwood, Dexter, Six Feet Under, BSG, Mad Men, Game of Thrones, etc.) went off the rails at some point - writers became too self-absorbed, show was cancelled early so last seasons were rushed, had huge 18+ month gaps between seasons during their original airing, had shortened seasons, or other issue during their multi-year runs and storytelling. The Wire had none of that.

Breaking Bad never went off the rails.

2 weeks later
#1260 2 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

If you have not seen the behavior panel experts on YouTube this may interest you.
When you learn to read people’s reactions it becomes a microsuperpower.
(In the words of one of the four experts.)
It’s true, a micro power. I’ll take ten more of such powers.
If you are interested in psychopaths or deception in general, it will suck you in. Not useless knowledge here though. I get to learn too.
One of my favorites.
The man was acquitted.

If you like current events and billionaires in jail,check this one here!

By the way, in regards to Elizabeth Holmes from theranos.
One of her influences to her mask or personality is IMO yoda himself.
I’m not sure they catch the yoda in her. I do.
[quoted image]

I am going to check these out, I just paid for my Youtube premium and it's so great to watch without the ads.

Have been watching police interrogation videos, most are of guilty felons and how the police get them to confess.

Here is one interesting, the man was 100% innocent he had an alibi and the police lied to him telling there was an eyewitness that he did a robbery.

Here is a long one but it's a true crime/interrogation video that is very interesting especially to see the body language etc..

2 months later
#1418 2 years ago

Just started to watch Reacher on Amazon prime. So far it’s awesome.

1 week later
#1460 2 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

We could not get into that show
have to give it another try

I watched the first 2 seasons, it was ok but (to me) was quite unbelievable there having a knife or fist fight and people will be knocked unconscious and have very little after effects if they are a main character.

I would love this normally like a UK version of The Godfather or Sopranos but it just didn’t seem plausible to me.

#1470 2 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Agreed. All these people on TV being “knocked out” would have serious concussions at a minimum and likely long term brain damage.
I also love shows like Supernatural where they constantly slice their palms to draw blood for spells but miraculously never have a scar. I accidentally cut into my finger once. It bled for an hour. I needed stitches, and it took weeks to heal.

I loved ‘Reacher’ but he got shot in the flank and was good to go in a few hours.

I saw this other movie with Burt Renolds ‘Malone’ he also got shot but was in the ICU and had to recuperate for a few days with a similar gunshot.

#1472 2 years ago

I see a lot of people who are coding on a action show and they’ll get ‘defibrillated’ and that’s all they need. But the reason they were in cardiac arrest wasn’t fixed.

#1475 2 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

If you want a good chuckle and want to put a smile on your face-must watch the Jim Gaffigan Comedy Monster special on Netflix. The pandemic humor made me laugh so hard and reminded me of the early days of the pandemic. Having OCD and wiping down a box of Triscuits after returning home from the store-classic!
Funny as shit and a must watch!

I’ll have to check that out. Thanks.

This was funny about the pandemic skit.

1 week later
#1489 2 years ago

Had only watched seasons 1-2 of Ozark.

Just started to watch from the beginning, is there a best season or are they all pretty consistent?

1 week later
#1511 2 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Does anyone else chuckle every time they see the thread title? "Trying to find" sounds like having difficulty doing so, despite all the choices available nowadays, and I can't help comparing it to when I was growing up with just the three big networks and PBS, with no VCRs, DVDs, etc. If you wanted to see a show, you had to be in front of the TV when it was on.
When I was around ten years old, we would resort to turning the roof antenna to pick up Milwaukee's public station when they showed Monty Python's Flying Circus (which was far too risqué for the Green Bay affiliate to broadcast), and a few times we recorded the audio on a low tech portable cassette recorder via condenser mic. Which meant it would also pick up our laughter! Now, when I watch those episodes, I remember wondering what was happening during extended visual gags while we listened to those tapes, as the show was far too bizarre and disjointed to remember everything from one viewing.
If you never watched MPFC, give it a try now! It's on Netflix. There's a reason Rolling Stone named it the best comedy sketch show ever. It's enlightening to watch with the closed captions on, even though I can usually decipher their British accents, as it helps me understand old British idioms and pop culture references that flew right over my head previously. Funny, a lot of the European history I know was from looking up things that they referenced.

I was thinking not only do we have the new stuff (Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Disney etc. ) but there’s millions of older stuff. Like you want to watch Golden Girls, 42 season of Survivor, judge Judy, old and new SNL, Simpsons the list is mind boggling. But still I’ve had to resort to buying some things like BM66 on bluRay but the streaming options are overwhelming.

2 weeks later
#1544 2 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

Ozark. Season two in progress for me. Fans of breaking bad should watch. Without a doubt.

I like it, just finished season 3 but to me it’s way less believable than Breaking Bad or The Sopranos.

1 month later
#1626 1 year ago

I just finished Ozark, to me after season one it went downhill. All the actors seemed flat especially the Byrd children. It didn’t seem to be that shocking or suspenseful at all, nothing like it’s inspiration Breaking Bad. I watched it all but was left very empty and won’t recommend it or rewatch it. Was there one sympathetic character or a character you were routing for?

I guess Ruth was the main character but she was kind of a little bitch.

Ben was ok.

The cartel characters were not all that great, Darlene was a hag. Plus the mobsters were pussies. If she has shot off my Johnson I’d have ripped her throat out like Rick on TWD.

To me the whole show was very average and Marty had no gravitas like Walter White did.

3 months later
#2082 1 year ago

I got sucked into The Sinner season 1 on Netflix. It was not that great to me probably won’t watch the later seasons. At least each season is going to be a different story and main protagonist.

Jack Ryan season 1 on Amazon is good but it devolved into the ‘24’ cliche where you know how it’ll end.

I’m halfway done ‘Banshee’ on HBO max and then I’ll probably finish up Pesky Blinders on Netflix.

#2087 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

Have you watched the series "Reacher"? Great first series, fun stuff in the Jack Ryan vein. I enjoyed Jack Ryan so far. I think I have more tolerance for the genre since I only watched season 1 of '24'.

I loved ‘Reacher’ probably one of my favorites.

2 weeks later
#2138 1 year ago

How about Wheel of Time or The Witcher?

#2145 1 year ago

Don’t know if it’s been said but my family liked ‘Only Murders in the building’. It’s not world class great but a light and fun watch.

#2155 1 year ago

I liked OMITB a lot! Good to see charming, thoughtful humor again.
On an unrelated note:
I have a few aces up my sleeve if I ever run out of things to watch...
To this day I have not seen a single Lord of the Rings movie (and I read the books more than once, go figure), nor have I seen any Harry Potter movies (thinking I still want to read those books first).
I realize these are movies, not TV shows, but with a backlog like this I could binge them as though they were TV shows!
For that matter I haven't seen probably 95% of the movies on this list!:
https://www.businessinsider.com/greatest-movie-franchises-all-time-critics-2018-8
I figure mostly because I don't get anything from movies where the protagonists death-defyingly barely avoid being wiped out repeatedly for two hours. My brain won't go into idle that long, so it's all too much suspension of disbelief for me to have any fun.
I'd rather rewatch something like Wilfred, to be honest. A dog that appears to be a dog to everyone except one guy who sees a man in a dog suit, that I can believe!

LotR movies are great and you might as well watch the extended editions so they are like 11-12 hours but probably the best movie franchise (after The Godfather)

#2156 1 year ago

Rolling Stone just published an updated Top 100 Best TV Shows of All Time list.
Not much I would disagree with except for some of the ordering. All great shows, the ones I've seen, anyway.
https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-movies/tv-movie-lists/best-tv-shows-of-all-time-1234598313/

I didn't see all the list obviously it's going to be different than what I would pick but it's a good framework (I haven't seen them all like Leftovers so can't say but yes I can say, Leftovers over Lost??).

But you have to be kidding with 'Fleabag' at number 5. Ahead of Seinfeld, Cheers, Mash, The Office, Big Bang Theory etc. I mean it's fine but it's not much more than average IMO

#2164 1 year ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Been enjoying watching-'Somebody feed Phil' on Netflix
I am somewhat of a foodie and I like the different cultures/people Phil interacts with during each episode.
-Good stuff and worth watching

I was wondering about that one. Thanks

#2187 1 year ago

I just started watching the series on Netflix about Jeff Dahmer. So far in 3 episodes but I’m not sure how I feel about it or if I want to keep watching. Had anyone finished this one?

#2193 1 year ago
Quoted from Thor-NL:

Yes i did, but it's pretty grim and disturbing at times.
But i remember it from the real footage back then, so that makes it intriguing for me

Was there much courtroom drama? I like that. I did like the Ted Bundy movie with Zac Efron but that was a lot shorter.

2 weeks later
#2222 1 year ago

Anyone want advice for movies (streaming), this guy has a lot of his favorite suggestions.

1 week later
#2245 1 year ago
Quoted from Jigs:

This and possibly pay for the content. Some of us make our living making the content.

Agreed.

8 months later
#2849 9 months ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

Blew through "Beef" on Netflix, 8 episodes, about 35min each.
About a road rage incident that gets way out of control, some unexpected things happen. Was worth the 4 hour investment. Seems like it will be a one-off.

I'm going to check it out. Did you see the Russell Crowe road rage movie "Unhinged"?

#2864 9 months ago

I’m almost done ‘Yellowstone’.

It’s very good.

#2868 9 months ago
Quoted from mtn-:

Finally finished my second rebinge of the Wire yesterday evening. Really need something for tonight

Have you tried ‘Justified’?

I need to watch the Wire again, I didn’t finish the series the first time.

How about ’Oz’ on HBO is that any good?

1 week later
#2915 9 months ago

I can’t get into ‘The Bear’ on Hulu, no likable characters doesn’t seem to be anything but chaos. Just watched 2 episodes think I’m done.

I love ‘Mr Inbetween’ so far it’s really great.

#2923 9 months ago

They should allow them to challenge obvious face mask non-calls.

#2933 9 months ago

I liked the documentary called ‘Dr Death’ on Hulu (not the dramatization with Alec Baldwin of the same name).

#2934 9 months ago

Nm

1 week later
#2985 8 months ago

I just watched 2 episodes of ‘Beef’ on Netflix. Still on the fence if it’s worth watching.

#2988 8 months ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

Same here. I've seen worse though.

I didn’t realize it was Glenn from TWD.

#2991 8 months ago
Quoted from dug:

I stopped after 2 or 3 episodes.
Never looked back.

Yea, I guess.

But it has so many top reviews. But that could be a lot of people voting up crap.

1 week later
#2995 8 months ago

My final thoughts are ‘Beef’ is horrible. I was following the sunk cost fallacy and just finished it up but not worth the trouble at all.

On the other hand loving ‘peacemaker’ on Max.

#3003 8 months ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Peacemaker is Fun!!!

Just found out Jennifer Holland and James Gunn are married.

IMG_4915 (resized).jpegIMG_4915 (resized).jpeg

#3027 8 months ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

HA!! I get this. If you're 3 episodes in and you're not feeling it, you may not actually enjoy it. The 2nd season is very different from the first, but the chaos is still everywhere most of the season

Def, it's such a different show. I didn't like it at all 3-4 episodes in, but the second season pays it off (IMO).

#3031 8 months ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Haha that’s how I felt about Christmas episode title fishes or something

This is the best episode or maybe the one called Forks. (Although the Christmas episode could also be called forks.).

#3051 7 months ago
Quoted from ledge:

no love for Tulsa King ? )

It was not bad.

1 week later
#3073 7 months ago

I just watched Mr Inbetween for the 2nd time in the past 3 months.

It's really one of my favorite shows of all time. Too short but it is what it is, I would pay to see what happened after the end cut of the last episode.

I also watched the prequel movie The Magician. (free on Tubi. https://tubitv.com/movies/543930 )
Not near as good as the TV show, not anywhere close to the quality, but it's good to see the inspiration, the film seems to be like a too long episode of the series.

https://tubitv.com/movies/543930

Here's a long interview with the Scott Ryan and the kids from Sopranos (podcast) jump to 16 minute mark if you want to pass all the fluff but the beginning few minutes is actually interesting.

Scott says he was inspired by the Sopranos (especially 'The Pine barrens' episode).

2 weeks later
#3084 7 months ago

I just started to rewatch Sopranos. Finished season 1. It’s very great but you can tell it was trying to find its footings in certain spots.

Was reading an article about some other actors who were considered to play Tony. Steve VanSant as well as the actors who played Artie and Jackie.

https://movieweb.com/the-sopranos-actors-almost-played-tony/#john-ventimiglia

It still kills me that they had the actor that eventually played Vito as a walk on character that is not Vito. This bugs me to no end. It’s part of why I said it was a bit uneven first season. However I couldn’t see anyone else as Vito.

One of favorite side character in season 1 is Mikey. He’s such a lovable heal and I love grown men having childhood names. And when he tells his wife go to take a Midol.
IMG_5014.gifIMG_5014.gif

#3102 6 months ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

After enduring the "Fishes" episode, I thought Season 2 really finished strong starting with the following episode: "Forks".

I thought ‘Fishes’ (holiday episode) was the best episode and Forks was equally good.

I’m not saying my family is as dysfunctional but it was authentic IMO.

#3105 6 months ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Mr. Inbetween is on sale on Vudu, $15 for the full series. It was recommended a number of times in this thread so I took the plunge. (I think it’s also streaming on Hulu).

It’s so good. I could watch it many times, not a bad episode in the series.

3 months later
#3388 3 months ago

I’m revisiting an older series ‘The Wire’. Currently almost done season 1. I had watched this series when it came out but never finished it so I’m looking forward to binge watching it. So far so good.

1 month later
#3595 34 days ago
Quoted from Mrbill:

I barely got thru the end of the walking dead(I know I watched it, but cant tell you how it ended), and decided not to watch anything coming from that source ever again. I watched the 1st season of fear the waling dead, and that was it.. I should have quit then.

I bailed on TWD somewhat after Negan became a babysitter (?) so I don't know what happened after that. But I am thinking about going back to re-watch the beginning several seasons. I just don't know if I should continue after the babysitter episodes. I hate to quit if there is anything good to be seen by sticking to the end.

I never watched FTWD either, is that worth watching anything?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rai.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/im-trying-to-find-a-new-tv-series-to-watch?tu=rai and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.