• 3,830 posts
  • 437 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 hours ago by jrockne
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

nick foot (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-23 at 20-55-22 Nose Boy Is Yet Another Bit From Dan Schneider That Seems Inappropriate Now (resized).png
IMG_2115 (resized).png
we-are-lady-parts-peacock-poster (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
5675773ab24117888a271de4334cd519 (resized).jpg
download.jpeg
Fallout (resized).jpg
IMG_1903 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0049 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6661.gif
2006-The-Departed-03-2254582836 (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-03-21 at 16-45-23 3 Body Problem (2024) (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider boscokid.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#502 5 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

I started watching The Americans, but we stopped near the beginning of S2. Worth picking back up?
I think I just hate the arc of the modern TV drama.. big open, lots of nothing, build up to a finale, repeat.

IMO the final for The Americans is among the best ever, it was very well done, almost too good by network tv standards

1 month later
#548 5 years ago

Not really a TV series to watch but Nat Geo channel is showing the Oscar winning Free Solo documentary commercial free Sunday night at 9et and 10:45et.

Suffice to say this dude is insane to climb without ropes, and just watching the trailer made my palms sweat and stomach queasy.

2 weeks later
#558 5 years ago
Quoted from Industen:

"Bosch" on Prime is very well done if you like L.A . Noire Crime drama

Bosch is entertaining. Love the LA feel, and the fact he can get from the Hills to downtown in 30 minutes. Season 5 is coming out in April

2 months later
#607 4 years ago
Quoted from jrockne:

I just watched both seasons of "Fleabag" on amazon prime. Definitely worth checking out. There are two seasons, six episodes each, and only 26min long so a quick watch.

Enjoyed this, might be a little crude for some. I was ready to dismiss this as a 'chick comedy' after 10 mins but glad I stayed with it.

2 years later
#1143 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I know one thing. If I ever watch a series of seasons again. I think I'm going to wait until they have 6 or 7 seasons to watch, in case I like it.

Two great and mostly overlooked shows that fit your criteria, both are completed according to the writers.

Mr Inbetween - black comedy/drama about an Australian hitman balancing work with family and friends. Three seasons, twenty six episodes 22-28 mins long. It's on HULU

Patriot - comedy/drama about a damaged intelligence officer that has to fake his way into a piping company in order to work overseas for some unofficial espionage. Two seasons, eighteen episodes 37-57 mins long. It's on Amazon

1 month later
#1157 2 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

Started watching Soprano's, man 6 seasons will keep us busy for awhile!! Love me the Mob!!

I can't even imagine being a fan of the mob genre and just starting Sopranos now. You definitely have hours of quality TV ahead of you.

4 months later
#1300 2 years ago

Just finished 'Le Bureau Des Legendes' or simply 'The Bureau' a French spy saga/drama that was very well done. Highly recommended if you are Ok with subtitles as there are multiple languages used. Basically it follows the DGSE(French equivalent of the CIA) as it goes about its business in Syria, Iran, Turkey, Russia and points in-between. A very basic understanding of Middle-East politics/conflict probably helps to follow some of the storylines.

The first 4 episodes are on Amazon Prime and if you get hooked you would need AMC+ for the next 46 episodes. I did their trial for $1.98 for 2 months then just set a reminder to cancel

2 weeks later
#1384 2 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:Mcbride really only has one character, but he does it so well.
Vice principals and eastbound and down are similar shows.

Very true. I was a late adopter to EBAD but found it hilarious. Vice Principals basically what would happen if Kenny Powers became a principal. It took a season to get rolling but def worth watching. Nothing wrong with that.

Only on episode 2 of Righteous Gemstones but will stick around for the potential payoff

#1386 2 years ago

Thanks to Walton I have added 'running through the house with a pickle in my mouth' to my list of random useful phrases

#1389 2 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Ozark season 4 is bad ass!!!

Kinda quit on Ozark after season 2 mostly b/c I just forgot about it. Not a big fan of 'bingeing' shows that still havent finished. Is season 4 the last season?

#1390 2 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

You should have seen him in Sons of Anarchy. Many times funny, other times very serious or tragic.

Never saw this show but I see it on people recommendation lists all the time. Worth the time investment?

1 month later
#1442 2 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

OK I will check these, if its anything near as good as that whacked-out Righteous Gemstones I'm in.

If you like Danny McBride humor you will devour those two recommendations. I preferred EBAD over VP but I am confident you will end up watching both.

#1444 2 years ago
Quoted from emsrph:

Yes, good series. I enjoyed the Sons of Anarchy.

Thanks for the rec! Finished this after about a month of moderate dedication, I honestly don't think I could've finished this over 7 years with weeks or months between episodes.

I would rate Sons of Anarchy 'very good'. To me a notch below HOF tier The Wire, The Shield, The Sopranos, Breaking Bad but definitely worth the watch. I found myself alternating between caring about all of the characters and then none of the characters - sometimes even in the same episode. That's probably a nod to how well the series was done, a true Shakespearian tragedy as you can count the 'winners' on your thumbs and even that would be debatable.

1 month later
#1560 2 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

I watched Justified within the past few years and really enjoyed it. The first season you get the feeling they were going for more of a Law & Order “case of the week” thing, but the show settles down and gets better after that. I always like Timothy Oliphant as a pissed-off law man, and Walton Goggins is a great antagonist!

I went to Justified after I finished SOA and thoroughly enjoying it, currently S5E2. As you said, Olyphant and Coggins are great and the storylines keep moving along so its relatively easy watching.

#1561 2 years ago

Better Call Saul co-creator (and Breaking Bad writer/producer/director) confirmed today Walt and Jesse will be making appearances in the final season which airs April 18th on AMC

2 weeks later
#1592 1 year ago
Quoted from ViperTim:

Bojack Horseman

This is a tough one to recommend as many are put off by animated shows and it takes almost a full season to hit it's stride.

After that your reward is 5 seasons of absolute brilliant comedy and one that deserves to be mentioned among all-time great shows.

1 week later
#1610 1 year ago

Watched the first couple episodes of Bosch: Legacy. It's on a free Amazon sub channel called FreeVee or something like that so it does have limited commercials but it's 'free' even if you don't have Prime.

Anywho. Basically it's like Bosch season 8 except he is now retired and working as a PI and his daughter is a rookie cop. I expect from previews that several characters from Bosch will make appearances

Definitely watch Bosch first if you haven't but if you have jump right in and enjoy

1 week later
#1649 1 year ago

Very suspicious of Letterkenny.

Can there really be that many smokin hot chicks in one rural Ontario town?

1 week later
#1676 1 year ago
Quoted from northerndude:

If you want fucked up Canadian humour and you've seen "Letterkenny" - Watch "Shoresy" -holy shit it's funny. it's a character spin-off
AND, if you haven't seen Letterkenny and want to see fucked up Canadian humour, watch Letterkenny also.

Quoted from titanpenguin:

Letterkenny fans will love Shoresy

Finished Shoresy. More A++ Canadian tv; obviously a spin-off of single Letterkenny character but I appreciates how they allowed it to stand on its own and didn't litter it with cheap cameos.

#1677 1 year ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I don't get the ozark hate. I feel like it did nothing but ramp up through all seasons. Every time a cartel died you wondered how deep they were getting into it. And the end of season 4 was just as good as any of the other seasons, especially ruth with her one liners

I don't have hate, I just don't quite like how they steamrolled through so many plots to complete the show. Like fosaisu said, they amplified the characters oddly to finish the series.

Not sure I cared enough about Ozark to actually hate it but it sure felt like an 'obligation' to finish it rather than something I was looking forward to watching. Glad its over and doubt I would recommend it and certainly wont ever re-watch it, it just felt cobbled together with no real story direction and there were zero characters I felt invested in.

#1686 1 year ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Where can you stream Shoresy? I love Letterkenny!

Hulu

#1688 1 year ago

Total Noob question.

Can I use Apple TV in Android World? Seems to be a lot of decent stuff there but not interested in buying any more dongles.

I don't see any app on my Sony smart tv, I'm opposed to using my phone to cast but not even sure if Apple supports Chromecast. I also have a Firestick if that would work.

#1705 1 year ago

Added Apple TV. Should come as news to no one but Ted Lasso S1 is outstanding, I suspect finding $5 a month value from this will be easy.

Kind of a pain for me to stream though. My Sony XBR-65X850C does not support the Apple app and my Firestick (V1) is from 2015 so it appears to also not support the app. My only options so far are run Apple website from laptop and Chromecast to TV or Apple website from phone (Google Pixel 6 pro) and Google Home to screencast to TV. Screencasting is a last resort as it takes your phone out of commission for the duration of the stream.

Guess I will order the newest version of Firestick and see if I can get it to work there.

#1708 1 year ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

If you cast from a computer, you can simply stream a tab and continue using your computer normally.

Exactly - I can stream via Chrome and cast to TV but its normally good for 1 or 2 episodes before Apple locks up and I need to reset my stream. Since it only stops after the end of an episode and not all the time they may be sending a signal that I am blocking. Probably need to view my pi-hole logs and see if there is anything getting caught by the network adblocker.

#1746 1 year ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

The book Handmaids Tale was a classic, and I liked the first half of the first season but I felt my attention drifting by the end of the first season and never made it any further. Does it pick up in subsequent seasons? Maybe I'll go back and give it another try some day.

Quoted from GoodOmens:

Handmaids is a perfect example of a show that should have been only 3 seasons tops. Really great first season that then just dragged and dragged. Same with Orange is the new black. Some show creators just try to milk great assets for all their worth - it's a shame. Which makes me happy Ted Lasso is only going to be three seasons.

I read the book years ago but I'm pretty sure season 1 is the entire original story. Seasons 2-5 are what you get when Hulu needs to make more money

1 week later
#1760 1 year ago

My Apple TV show grades (Only on S2E4 of Tehran)

Ted Lasso A+

Sudeikis absolutely nails his role and the supporting cast is phenomenal. Storylines keep moving with a brilliant mix of comedy and drama.

Severance A

Fans of Black Mirror or Dark will love this sci-fi show, starts off a bit confusing but everything is slowly revealed and eventually ties together. I would urge others to stick with it as I cant wait for season 2

Tehran B+

Probably should rate as incomplete since I haven't finished it yet but so far it reminds me a lot of The Bureau. Who among us doesn't love a good, subtitled international espionage story? I'm pretty sure this is the first Israeli show I have seen it more than holds its own for entertainment value.

Mythic Quest B

This is the toughest to grade; fans of IASIP will love seeing Rob McElhenney showing what would happen if Mac moved to California and worked for a software startup. Feels like an uneven mix of comedic actors so scenes with Hornsby (who was also in IASIP) and newcomer Charlotte Nicdao work but others seem to lack chemistry and just feel forced. Seems like they pulled in Danny Pudi and only asked him to play his character Abed from Community?? The lesbian software testers? Stop it - that storyline didn't land as comedy, drama, romance or anything else - was just screen time filler. I thought the CW backstory and revenge episodes were great

2 weeks later
#1824 1 year ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Hottest new show out is Black Bird. Inspired by true events. It’s on Apple TV. Go watch it now.
Bonus - Ray Liotta’s last acting job.

Started this, first two episodes interesting enough. It's a true crime adaptation that will likely appeal to anyone that liked shows like Mindhunter.

Gonna reserve grading on this until its over. Has some solid acting by the leads but has some weakly acted secondary characters that bother me - maybe a result of some poor scripting? I always feel shows like this really need to stick the landing to be worthwhile but its only six 1 hour episodes over the next month so I will watch it.

Example of terrible, hokey scripting - this entire exchange took place in 30 seconds while they were dropping *Hero* off at a new prison to befriend the serial killer.

Hero: I don't want to do this!

FBI agent: C'mon man we really need you!

Hero: Alright, I'll do it!

1 month later
#2064 1 year ago

When somebody mentions a show with no context, no review and no network mentioned I just assume they really didn't care enough for the show as they think they did.

2 months later
#2293 1 year ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

just started It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
2005 ‧ Sitcom ‧ 15 seasons - HULU
Old show and the first chunk of it is in 4:3 but it's really good and worth a look

Great show that really doesn't hit its stride until a couple seasons in and the cast chemistry begins to shine - then you just enjoy the ride

4 months later
#2585 1 year ago

Just finished a re-watch of BoJack Horseman. Animated black-comedy/drama on Netflix. Anthropomorphic, self-loathing horse attempts to make a comeback in Hollywood but instead leaves a wake of destruction with friends, coworkers, family and pretty much everyone else he meets. Deftly handles some very mature themes like mental illness, alcoholism, drug addiction, suicide etc. As an added bonus it has a fantastic soundtrack.

Six seasons, 25 min episodes makes for easy watching but you gotta pay better attention than I did on first watch to really appreciate it.

Originally I graded this show as 'pretty good' but upon 2nd viewing I'm changing my grade to 'elite'

1 month later
#2743 10 months ago

Just finished "Drops of God" on Apple - thought it was was very well done and highly recommend but since its in French, Japanese, Italian and English its not gonna work for anybody that is put off by subtitles.

French wine connoisseur/publisher who was living and teaching in Japan dies and leaves his vast wine collection worth 150M to either his estranged French daughter or his star student from Japan depending on how they perform on a series of wine challenges. Probably best not to read too much about it and just dive in as the episodes pace quickly and as the story unfolds it all starts to make sense and its only eight one hour episodes

1 month later
#2882 9 months ago
Quoted from jitneystand1:

I know it’s been mentioned multiple times, but oh man, The Bear. Just finished season 2, it’s as compelling a watch as anything I’ve seen in quite some time. “Forks” (episode 7 season 2), just wow.

"Fishes" & "Forks" were just two absolute stellar episodes back to back. My two personal favorites.

Love how the show is using the 2nd season to add real depth to all the characters, esp Richie. Season 1's hothead loudmouth is seen from a completely different perspective when you see how his relationship was with Mikey, Carmy, and Tiffany 5 years ago vs current day and Ebon Moss-Bachrach is knocking it out of the park, his Taylor Swift phone call was the heartbreaker we all (except him obv) knew was coming.

I really hope the writers strike doesn't kill this show's momentum and it gets the satisfying ending it deserves.

#2885 9 months ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

On Episode 5 of "Severance" on Apple TV -
The premise is very interesting but I hope it picks up soon. Girlfriend said it's good and she's watching it (again) with me.

S1 is only 9 episodes long so don't expect it to 'pick up' its more like a slow simmer psychological thriller. The story advances as the characters learn more about their situation but its never gonna advance to action movie pace. Anxiously awaiting season 2

#2886 9 months ago
Quoted from sanctumwear:

I thought Platonic on Apple was entertaining. Rose Byrne and Seth Rogen were funny.

Entertaining is a good way to describe it - good enough to leave on but not something that really demands your attention either. I thought the baseball game episode "My Wife's Boyfriend" was the best so far.

1 month later
#3059 7 months ago
Quoted from mtn-:Seen the Italian Stallion?

Lol

1 month later
#3140 6 months ago

Here ye, here ye….
Shoresy is back! S2 is streaming

Hulu Canada? We aren't supposed to get season two on Hulu US until Oct 27th

3 months later
#3376 3 months ago

Anybody a fan of The Simpsons?

Currently working my way thru The Simpsons (s5e6) on Disney+, it looks like the consensus 'best seasons' are between 1 and 11 so at what point can I just quit? Seems like 35 seasons would be a major grind just for the sake of completion and if the quality isn't there probably not worth my time.

1 week later
#3421 3 months ago

I'll take "Things that were never said in 'The Wire' for $1000"

#3427 3 months ago

"Omar is coming" <> "Omar coming" but thanks for posting the video

#3474 89 days ago
Quoted from John_I:

Ugh. I decided to watch the first two episodes of the new season of True Detective. I probably should have gone in expecting less, but my hopes were high because of how well done the previous seasons were (especially Season 1) and Jodie Foster being the star of this season. Hopefully its just me... These episodes are astonishingly bad. No redeeming value whatsoever. Be forewarned to go in with expectations at rock bottom and you might enjoy it more than me.

Not just you; it sucks.

#3492 88 days ago

I started Loudermilk this week.
Holy shit i found my show! Sarcasm to the max!

Great rec! Only thru 10 episodes but loving it so far.

Dark comedy as sarcastic, acerbic recovering alcoholic (Ron Livingston from Office Space) leads a rag tag group in AA/NA as they try to confront their issues while working/not working on himself. It's on Netflix

1 month later
#3616 34 days ago
Quoted from Mrbill:

not my cup of tea... I have a few thousand 4k, bluray,dvd, and laserdiscs. I like physical media.
finished watching season 1, I thought it was pretty good.

I purchased a region free Blu-ray/DVD player several years ago when Northern Exposure was released in the EU with all original music. Pretty much idiot proof as it has a color coded remote that you just need to set to the correct region before playing your DVD. Pay close attention to the listing as the cheaper models require a $40 'upgrade' to play region B&C Blu-ray

https://www.220-electronics.com/region-free-blu-ray-players.html

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider boscokid.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/im-trying-to-find-a-new-tv-series-to-watch?tu=boscokid and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.