• 3,830 posts
  • 437 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 56 minutes ago by jrockne
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

nick foot (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-23 at 20-55-22 Nose Boy Is Yet Another Bit From Dan Schneider That Seems Inappropriate Now (resized).png
IMG_2115 (resized).png
we-are-lady-parts-peacock-poster (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
5675773ab24117888a271de4334cd519 (resized).jpg
download.jpeg
Fallout (resized).jpg
IMG_1903 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0049 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6661.gif
2006-The-Departed-03-2254582836 (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-03-21 at 16-45-23 3 Body Problem (2024) (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rdoyle1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Halt and catch fire
I really didn't like any of the character yet (3 episodes). Last episode the main character just starts making out with a dude for no apparent reason.

I LOVE this show. His character is supposed to be super conflicted throughout the whole show - they hinted at this in the 2nd season a bit, and (controversially) when he had the HIV test results. I didn't think it was out of nowhere but it was unexpected! That show is brilliant if you're into 80s computer culture / history

3 years later
#855 3 years ago

Giri/Haji on Netflix.

Holy crap. I have not seen a show that good since the first season of GoT. It’s not even being promoted by Netflix hardly, but it’s got a completely-deserving 100% rating on Rotten Tomatoes

2 years later
#2497 1 year ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

The show seems to be based on the first book The Peripheral. Looks like he will write a Jackpot Trilogy, the second one is called Agency and came out just recently and the third one has not been released yet. I thought I had read all of his books but I haven't read Agency yet so I need to get on that.
It's hard to relate how far it went in book 1 because of the plot changes.
I did recently reread Gibson's first trilogy called the Sprawl Trilogy which includes Neuromancer, Count Zero, and Mona Lisa Overdrive. These are great, especially if you are a Matrix fan. Basically Gibson invented the Matrix long before the movie, and the Wachowskis admittedly got it from there.

"Mona Lisa Overdrive" is even the name of one of the songs on the soundtrack - when Trinity is on the motorcycle on that extended chase sequence in Reloaded.

I really dug the Peripheral - it's a good mix of "WTF is going on here?" and the dual plotlines worked well I thought. I haven't read the book yet, so I can't commend on how much it diverges. I did recently start re-reading Neuromancer coincidentally!

#2501 1 year ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

The Consulant is a good watch. Christoph Waltz at his finest. Only 6 episodes and about a half hour each. This one will keep you guessing.

I started that and just couldn't get into it. I got kind of a "Succession" vibe from it, which is not for me. Sounds like it has a lot of twists?

#2504 1 year ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

Yeah you got to stick with it at least thru the first episode. Need to figure out who……or what… Waltz is.

Ok now I’m intrigued. Well done

#2509 1 year ago
Quoted from northerndude:

Anyone done the new one "Poker Face"?
It has kind of a neat premise, and the first episode is decent, but the rest of the episodes are kind of on repeat...

We’ve kept up with this one, good show - mostly episodic, has a real thin plot line they carried through about the main character. It’s a good show, but mostly because of Natasha Lyonne’s out of this world charisma. The stories are kind of mundane, but it’s fun to see all the guest stars. Hong Chau plays a trucker in one episode and COMPLETELY steals the show. Unfortunately it’s real early in the series, and they never quite pick up steam after that

#2515 1 year ago
Quoted from Mrbill:

just watched the current episode last night last of us #8. I think it was best episode yet for developing the main characters. sad that the #9 is the last for the year.

You’re really gonna be sad once you watch it!

#2519 1 year ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I felt the last episode with Joseph Gordon Levitt was fairly different. My wife and I have really enjoyed the show. It is a throw back to the late 70s and early 80's crime solving shows. They also do a great job of getting well-known actors to cameo for the different episodes.

100%. The show is good, and my wife who apparently loves Columbo (came totally out of nowhere) is really into it. I still thought the truck stop episode was the best one, but that latest one out in the woods was pretty crazy. Also the Lil Rel episode was funny

#2521 1 year ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Anybody else see a lot of similarities between The Last of Us and The Walking Dead?

Of course - TWD was a major influence on the game, and they both share a lot of other influences (Romero zombies, I am Legend, etc). There’s only so many things you can do in an apocalypse with humanoid enemies

#2522 1 year ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

i loved she hulk so much. she doesnt break the 4th wall, she breaks the 5th one too. felt very deadpoolish as she pokes fun at disney on the last episode.

Same! The show got a lot of crap online for some reason. It was VERY true to the comics, especially Romita’s legendary run.

#2526 1 year ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

She-Hulk, Attorney at Law has to have one of the best show titles of all time, but I thought it got pretty mediocre reviews. But seeing some positive takes here maybe I'll give it a try, Tatiana Maslany was good in Orphan Black and is quite funny on the podcasts I've heard her on.

A lot of the reviews I read were from people who clearly didn’t see the show, or had a preconceived opinion. I mean it’s not the next Seinfeld or whatever, it’s just supposed to be a superhero sitcom - but there were a couple of really funny episodes, and I thought the ending was THE most She-Hulk sequence they could have done. The character was breaking the 4th wall a full decade before Deadpool, but the general audience associates that more with Deadpool because of the movies. Still, they go WAY further than Deadpool. Also The episodes with Matt Murdock/Daredevil were killer.

#2530 1 year ago
Quoted from mtn-:

Blew through "The Consultant" last two evenings. Christoph Waltz plays quite a character.

I thought it was pretty decent; it did not follow through on the promise the first few episodes offered. Maybe season 2

#2532 1 year ago
Quoted from mtn-:

Yeah, it was ok.A fresh breath with something slightly different.

Absolutely. It had more promise than follow through, but that is different than being “bad” or even worse, boring! Boring is the worst. That show is definitely not boring.

1 week later
#2550 1 year ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Not sure what was up with Mando episode 3? Great beginning-great ending-but the drawn out middle?

Setting up storyline for the end of the season; they are obviously bringing back Moff Gideon, and they need a suitably evil #2

#2553 1 year ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

Apple TV, "For All Mankind", an alternate history where Russia landed a man on the moon first and we're playing catch-up -
Also "Hello Tomorrow", a retro-futuristic show about salesmen selling condos for a habitat on the moon -
Both interesting, only a couple episodes in.

For All Mankind is AWESOME. Really picks up in season 2 and 3. Season is very good but the show gets better

I couldn’t get into Hello Tomorrow, even though it’s exactly up my alley.. I’d love to hear if it gets more interesting. The production design on that show is amazing! It could be set in the Iron Giant world

#2558 1 year ago
Quoted from ls1chris:

just started Outlander on Netflix, me and my wife binged 7 episodes yesterday, so far so good. 6 season with 11 episodes per season. fair amount of tiddies and smashing in this one.

Great show, gets better in season 2, sags a bit, picks it back up in season 4/5 (I’ve not seen 6). Season 1 though, Yikes. You have been warned about episode 15.

1 week later
#2564 1 year ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Well it won't be unexpected for me after reading that spoiler.

Yes it will, that's not exactly what happens

#2566 1 year ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Rabbit.
Hole.

I saw the promos for that show. It's gotten a pretty good reviews. I REALLY like the movies it's being compared to: Manchurian Candidate, 3 days of the condor, Parallax View

I just started "Treason" which is a BBC show with Charlie Cox (Daredevil). Pretty compelling, only 5 episodes, but the first 2 were great. Watched it while I was installing Alien mods

AND "My Name" on Netflix is a Korean mob show which looks at first like it's going to be a schoolgirl drama but HOLY CRAP IT IS NOT. That show is nuts!

#2571 1 year ago
Quoted from poppapin:

Actually its on Showtime

You can watch Showtime via Prime

I’m halfway through “the Night Agent” which is not quite the political thriller I expected, but it’s a decent action show with a couple of twists and turns

#2575 1 year ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

If you're watching the show, you'll see it coming......and it was just one more thing in a long line of events, i didn't give away a surprise ending or anything......
Can't say enough good things about it (For All Mankind/Apple TV). Best series I've watched in a long time. Would be worth a free or 1 month membership just for this show (to me anyways).

At least we know they will finish season 4 - it finished filming in February, so I think it is supposed to come back in October(!). Season 5 is already planned out; I HOPE they get renewed at least one more time. It should be some serious Star Trek /2001 storylines at that point.

#2576 1 year ago

When is the "White House Plumbers" supposed to come out? HBO's been teasing that for a year, and all they say is "some time in 2023" ?

1 week later
#2586 1 year ago
Quoted from poppapin:

Anyone watching "Lucky Hank" on AMC with Bob Odenkirk? I want to like it cause I like Bob as a actor (Breaking Bad, Saul) but this is boring, watching a bunch of pompous college professors.

I only made it through episode 1. I wanted to like it … but as compelling an actor/personality as Odenkirk is… yeah, I could not figure out why I was supposed to care about his self-caused issues

#2587 1 year ago

All right, I know everyone is going to hate this, but as a musician, I really like musicals. There is a show on Apple TV called “Schmigadoon” which is a —brilliant— parody of broadway shows, starring Cecily Strong (SNL) and Keegan-Michael Key. The first season was a pastiche of the Music Man and a couple other shows, and was pretty good - but season 2 is mostly centered around Chicago, and there are so many in-jokes and goofy songs it is really kicking it up a level. The humor is kind of on the 30 Rock spectrum.

So if you’re not into that, I really dug the “Night Agent” on Netflix. WAAAAAY better than I expected, I basically binged the whole thing in one shot. Not -quite- as good as The Old Man, but close.

Other spy shows: don’t bother with “A Spy Among Friends” or “Condor”. Spy among friends was just godawful boring, and Condor is trying WAY too hard, wink-winking at the audience without actually having anything cool going on. Based on the Robert Redford film from the 70s, and you should just watch that instead.

#2599 1 year ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

I enjoyed this season ... but it was entirely forced fan service

gotta get the eyeballs... The cast seemed to genuinely love getting to work together again. They need to hire Ron Moore to do a big bang finish episode, like a Christmas special or something

#2608 1 year ago
Quoted from ralphs007:

Before I was married,my two sister's convinced me that my girlfriend and I would enjoy the Broadway Play "Annie". So I gave it a shot. Ten minutes into the play ,I was thinking, how the hell did they think I'd like this show?
After what seemed like an eternity, everyone finally got up and headed to the door. I was so glad that the play was finally over,so I thought. (Once we got to the lobby area, my sister's asked me how I liked the show so far? I said "What do you mean so far" and they said this was just an intermission,we still have the other half to see.
I'm not sure if they saw the tears in my eyes,when I found out it wasn't over.
If someone enjoys musicals,good for them,but they're definitely not for me.

LOL! I can only imagine the horror in your eyes when you realized you had to sit there another hour and a half!

“Annie” isn’t really a great show, a lot of the songs and the kids are pretty annoying!

#2610 1 year ago

I’m sitting here watching game 3 of the Stars/Wild series (great start so far) and I realized I hadn’t watched the latest Mandalorian! So no spoilers!

Signed up for YouTube TV which appears to have all NHL games between TNT, ESPN, etc. I was having a really hard time finding a way to get more than a handful of games, and it’s playoff season!

Back to Ted Lasso

#2620 12 months ago
Quoted from mtn-:

I just started watching "The Sinner" on Netflix. I dont think Ive seen Jessica Biel since that "7th Heaven" crap but her acting is really damn good here. Shes also a producer for this series, according to Wikipedia.
Im only on S1E4 though. (Disclaimer

That show is pretty good - I completely missed it when it first aired. Seasons 2 and 3, while unrelated are also pretty good

#2634 12 months ago
Quoted from schwarz:

The Bear is brilliant, the episode that was shot in one take stressed me out so bad.

I gotta re-watch that. The psycho loser cousin drugging all the kids at the party about killed me LOL

#2638 12 months ago
Quoted from thekiyote:

Schmigadoon is awesome, as is the second season, Schmicago.
When I was in my early 20s, I went for a job interview for an IT job where the interviewer actually asked me "What's your top 3 Sondheim musicals?" My response was "Who's 'Sondheim'?" I got the job anyway and we actually became really good friends and he's now the godfather of my oldest. We ended up signing up for improv classes together and I ended up making it into the musical theater conservatory at second city, mostly on the back of all the local theater musicals he dragged me to over the years.
But yeah, in the beginning, I had the same impression of musicals. I thought they were stupid and saccharine. As time went on, I learned to appreciate them more as the form of escapism entertainment they were intended as. The funny part is, in the mid-30s, musical theater started to take on a darker tone that addressed more social issues, like in Porgy and Bess (I know it's technically an opera, but still), but WW2 reset that for a couple of decades, until the post-golden age. Even now, that era is still more my speed, even if the issues they address seem quaint by modern standards. The funny part is that Schmigadoon lampshades all of that.
Also, whenever I hear Patrick Page speak in the show, my brain immediately gets "Why we build the wall" stuck in it.

Wow; I’d like to buy you a beer. Excellent insights.

Im not complaining season 2 moved away from the Lerner & Lowe style more into Chicago. Camelot is one of my all-time faves, but Chicago is way better to parody, IMO. The political satire is not knock-you-over-the-head, which makes it more enjoyable and easier to think about

#2639 12 months ago
Quoted from mtn-:

There can be only one musical. And its not Grease. It is The Blues Brothers!

Truth!! Although I had to say it but I really like Grease for some reason. Might be Stockard Channing, but who can say..

1 week later
#2651 11 months ago
Quoted from Xenon75:

Great comedy on HBOMAX - Stath Lets Flats

The main character Stath is played by the brother of Natasha Demetriou, who plays Nadja in What We Do in the Shadows (and who is also in Stath lets flats). My wife couldn’t handle the accents (and does not like a lot of British humour) but I thought it was funny as hell

#2665 11 months ago

Based on a book, Wool
The author wrote the book while working at the library and first self-published on Kindle

No spoilers! Seems like there are 3 or 4 Books now

Silo is absolutely my favorite show of the past few years, great cast, great sets! Mystery, drama, I love I

#2667 11 months ago
Quoted from mtn-:

Im on S1E10 now. Forgot to mention, but the soundtrack is fucking amazing!

The opening theme is written and performed by 2 90s alternative musicians - Craig Wedren from Shudder to Think, and Anna Waronker from that dog., who is also married to the bassist in the Melvins!

#2671 11 months ago
Quoted from mtn-:

The snow in Yellowjackets is.. Haha. Still eager for next season.
Anyhow, got a tip from a friend in the local pinball community here about "Barry". Im about 5 episodes in on S1 now, and I really like it. Also nice to see the Fonz.

Barry is CRAZY. Season 1 is very good, season 2 and pretty much all of 3 are GREAT. Season 4 is pretty weird, a good idea to break from the formula though

Just found “Vice Principals” on HBO. Danny McBride can be kind of hit or miss for me (as a performer - look up the stuff he’s written, he’s a fantastic writer) - anyway he’s playing his usual fake-macho vaguely racist guy but this show is funny AF (pretty dark humor sometimes, but nowhere NEAR where Barry goes) and it knows the joke is on him. Season 2 is 99% even more hilarious than season 1

#2677 11 months ago
Quoted from mtn-:

I dont totally agree with you, but I think it should have been more than two seasons.

I could never get into Eastbound, I have no idea why. He just irritated me SO much I couldn’t finish the first season. .. Ok that’s why

#2685 11 months ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Shoresy is a side story to a long running show called Letterkenny, which is fantastic. Yes, you have to learn to understand some of what they are saying because they talk fast with an accent. If you've never watched it check it out. The main character from Shoresy is actually played by the same guy in Letterkenny (as a 2nd lesser character in the series). It's also got quite a bit of hockey, but more about the small town life around it and a handful of quirky characters. I believe it is also on Hulu.

Shoresy is absolutely brilliant. We are a hockey family and man, it’s like Slap Shot the series. Absolutely killer. The first episode is the worst one of the series. Like a pitiful Ted Lasso LOL

#2687 11 months ago

AppleTV has a new show with Rainn Wilson (Dwight from the Office) called “the Geography of Bliss” which was WOW, I did not know I needed this.

I’m pretty tired of the cynical and awful backstabbing shows (looking at you, “Succession”), and this show is literally about travelling to different places to find out what makes the people there happy. Fascinating show, and a very bright spot in a sea of negativity. The finale takes places in Los Angeles, where you can just feel it, is the most unhappy place in the world. I found that hilarious (and they acknowledge it in the show)

Also, “Silo” is still badass.

#2696 11 months ago

Just started “High Desert”. Didn’t make it through the first episode; it was just ridiculous, like an ADHD TikTok show.

Happy Valley though, that is riveting

#2698 11 months ago

The show is actually called “from”. It’s on MGM+
VERY similar to “Lost” in a lot of ways - which is because there are a number of cast and crew (and the director) who all worked on Lost

#2702 11 months ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

Started watching "FUBAR" on Netflix last night w Ah-nold.....8 episodes, an hour each - shut it off after about 40 minutes.
Literally during his retirement party as a CIA operative, he's sucked back in when an operative has to be removed and only he can do it. He flies to some remote jungle and gasp....it turns out to be his estranged daughter!
After the requisite "Dad, do you REALLY think I'm still a virgin???" jokes, i had to shut it off.

I read some excoriating reviews for that show, really terrible. I'd be willing to bet they rushed it out before the writer's strike and it just was DOA with no chance for punch ups. Even Scott Thompson from Kids in the Hall is in it! It could have had potential...

My wife went back to "War of the worlds" on MGM+. Kind of slow (at first), but really builds into something great. More "The Expanse" than "Mandalorian" style heady sci-fi.

#2711 10 months ago
Quoted from romulusx:

I want to thank all the guys here that recommended The Expanse!!!

How far in are you? The first season is REEEEEALLLLLLY SLOOOOOOOOW.... It finally enters Babylon 5 territory (that's a good thing LOL) mid-season 2

#2713 10 months ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I guess I need to go back to it, i got thru 1, and part of 2, but it just bored me to no end.

Yep, I get that. I had to try 4 times and finally completely bereft of other shows, put it on while I was rebuilding my office, and something finally clicked.

#2720 10 months ago
Quoted from emsrph:

Took me a couple tries on Expanse to start/restart. It was slow then good.
Now up to season 4 and it is slow again…
You say the rest thru season 6 picks back up?

If I recall correctly Season 5 is fantastic, and season 6 is "pretty good" (I think that's when they had a big budget cut). I dont' remember specifically about season 4. stick with it!

#2722 10 months ago
Quoted from Mrbill:

and they lost a character to sexual harassment allegations.
the after show is also interesting. I only watched the last 2 seasons of the aftershow on amazon prime.

Aah, did not know that. I kinda miss Tom Jane in the later seasons, he stuck out like this character in the wrong space and time, as funny as it sounds, I thought it worked well

#2725 10 months ago
Quoted from Gunnut40:

Dammit! I’m going to revisit that. Watched 3 episodes and was out. Got to be nice and cold for that shit. Hopefully warrior doesn’t go PC. I might have to round kick a few tv’s if so….

Why would Warrior change now? It’s an HBO show still, yes? Season 3 should be a knockout! (See what I did ther… lol)

#2729 10 months ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

Toys I no longer have.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Wrong thread? Or am I missing a new tv show

#2739 10 months ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Never thought in a million years that I would agree. Always thought Pete Davidson was overhyped and a complete waste on SNL. But this show is great, if not way off color at times. Plenty of outrageous "shock" humor to go along with some real "smarter" humor and warmth. Joe Pesci must've seen something in the writing as the show came together because he just doesn't do much anymore. But he steals every scene that he is in, as one would expect. And the whole season clocks in at about 4 hours (8, 1/2 hour episodes). Contrast this with the bloated (final?) season of Ted Lasso that became so self-important that it had 13 1 hour episodes. Stuck with that one out of obligation. Went from pandemic comfort food to preachy, but quick. Felt more like chopping wood than a Lonnie Ropp rule set.

I'm really surprised at how so many people turned against Ted Lasso. Season 3 wasn't quite as interesting as the first two (and I agree the episodes were way too long in most cases), but I thought it was still better than most other similar shows.

#2748 10 months ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Finally saw the finale. I had seen everything up to that point when I posted. It did redeem itself (a bit)- haha. Doesn't take away from the fact that there were a lot of half-baked storylines just sort of cobbled together though, making for unnecessarily long episodes. That's where it fell down for me.

Hard to disagree. I thought the finale was awesome though. Bill Lawrence left before season 3 to do “Shrinking” which may have led to some of the excesses.

#2749 10 months ago

I think they were showing how far back and pent up the energy was from Ted and is probably part of his life issues.

This. Ted’s whole deal is that he’s repressed and even though his overall outlook is super positive, you shouldn’t pretend that things are ok when they aren’t, which he learned from his mom. (Same
Mom from Freaks & Geeks I realized). It’s definitely weird and did kind of feel out of character - but that was exactly the point to the scene. I thought Sudekis did some great acting in that scene - he wasn’t yelling, he was clearly getting subtly emotional as much as Ted was capable, and it somehow was a “feel good” scene despite (or partly due to) the dialogue.

#2750 10 months ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I have been pleasantly surprised with the quality of Mike Judge's new Beavis and Butthead episodes. There is a good mix of Beavis and Butthead in High School and "Middle Aged" Beavis and Butthead. They watch youtube videos now (mostly) instead of music videos. If you can only watch one episode I recommend Season 1 episode 2. Streaming on Paramount Plus.

My wife HATES this show, but I still get a kick out of it. I do wish they would watch some metal videos though. That was always awesome when they would rag on my favorite bands (Death - “The Philsopher” comes to mind)

#2754 10 months ago
Quoted from sanctumwear:

Boo[quoted image]

But my stock portfolio thanks you!

#2756 10 months ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Haha, you actually think that will turn into subs? *insert annoying buzzer sound*

doesn't matter what I think, wall street thinks it will

#2762 10 months ago

Found this show “2 Weeks to Live” on HBO which apparently came out in 2020, it is hilarious! Black comedy, British show about a girl who lives off the grid with her overprotective mom but escapes to go avenge her dad’s death. Hilarity ensues. It’s awesome

#2769 10 months ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I like it, hope it doesn't end up like Lost.
I also like the show From, which is actually written by the people from Lost....so...hope that doesn't end up like lost either.

I'm worried about "From". I don't see any indication they are going anywhere. I am hoping for a huge "WTF!" moment like the polar bear from Lost, or the hatch, or the crazy time travel stuff, the radio tower, the videos, the 4 toed statue! Season 4 (whenever they were in the 70s ) was my favorite, and then they got stupid with revealing Jacob and the weird god guys or whatever. I was even with when they made Locke a bad guy. That show was SOO good for 4 years and .. ugh I'm still... I'm not angry. I'm just disappointed.

Silo has several successful books already (the dude SELF-PUBLISHED them and got such a huge following Apple optioned the story for the series), so I have a lot more hope that that will turn out great. I just don't think it's quite as crazy scifi as I am hoping for. I love the Logan's Run aspect to it, where they're trapped inside and then get dumped out to clean, but there's obviously some mystery still to be found. I wish they'd do more with the relics.

#2770 10 months ago
Quoted from pins4life33:

Watched the first episode of “From” today pretty interesting show so far has that weird LOST feel to it hopefully the suspense continues for the next few episodes.

I'm caught up on season 2; it's quite good, and worth watching. I'm a little nervous they don't have a plan (see my other post) but it's still an interesting story. They added a "Sawyer" guy in season 2, he's not quite as compelling as the actor from Lost (and they don't really have a Kate) but in general the archetypes are all there. The guy that played Michael - Walt's dad in Lost (Harold Perrineau) is frickin' amazing in this show.

#2771 10 months ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

We started it a few weeks ago too - but I remember someone on the show saying they couldn't visit someone on a lower level because "they couldnt even walk there in one day"....this thing doesnt have an elevator???

It was built without an elevator (for most people) on purpose

#2774 10 months ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

This reminds me of a book called filaria. Not exactly but sounds like some of the creators read filaria to me. [quoted image]

I've read both, and while they could be sort of related in the same world many miles apart, Wool (Silo) is absolutely nothing at all like Filaria, other than the apocalyptic/dystopian world and the elevator shaft KIND of (but really not at all) being reminiscent of the Silo stairwell. Pretty awesome book though; I got the "Tales from the Loop/things from the Flood" books around the same time and that's how I always pictured the Filaria world.

#2777 10 months ago
Quoted from OzPaul:

I love the sci-fi shows. Tried my best with the Expanse, but could only make it halfway through season 2
Just finished season 1 of Foundation which seemed to get better and better each episode.
Season 2 dropping July 14th.
[quoted image]

I had a hard time with Foundation; just bored me to death. If you liked it here than Expanse, I’ll give it another go. Still bummed HBO cancelled Raised by Wolves!

#2783 10 months ago
Quoted from jdlang11:

No way. Didn’t know they canceled Raised by Wolves. It’s getting fucking dumb now…when can we ever get a full story line. 1899, The OA, and Archive 81 all cancelled.

100% ! All shows that depended on major cliffhangers and now due to the stupidity of how they do the streaming ownership, there is ZERO chance a show could get picked up. Wonder why audiences aren't really engaged? Content is blah and no one feels like they have a stake in it (see Firefly/Serenity which twenty years later still has scores of fans because of the level of engagement to get that movie made). Reminds me of Fox in the 90s/2000s. As soon as a show is getting a decent audience - Psych!!! We cancelled it a month ago. If Severance or Silo get cancelled, I'm done with TV. Meanwhile the boringest shows in the world get made because "ooh the algorithm" (see: multiple forgettable netflix series). This is why AI wont' be able to sustain.

#2784 10 months ago
Quoted from Strummy:

Anyone have any good British show recommendations?

Not quite new, but Broadchurch. Happy Valley. Misfits. The Fades. We Are Ladyparts. Life on Mars/Ashes to Ashes. Derry Girls is crazy funny. Fawlty Towers

#2788 10 months ago
Quoted from jdlang11:

We are speaking the same language!!! I'm watching Chapelwaite which is a prequel to Stephen Kings Salems Lot. Great first season. Better be a second.

Thanks for the reminder! I've had that on the list but it keeps getting overlooked. Will start it up tonight...

#2792 10 months ago
Quoted from JakeFAttie:

Silo has been inconsistent. feels like YA writing. good initial ideas, bad character development, simplistic predictable plot. Pretty sure they are in the silo because the world is radioactive, hope I'm wrong.
Started watching Mrs. Davis a few days ago. really enjoying it. very original and apropos for out times. Gets weirder and weirder and hard to say what's really going on.

Curious about your opinion on Mrs. Davis after about 4-5 episodes.

Kind of agree on Silo - the last 2 episodes were a little slow. They did a LOT of stuff in those first 3 episodes which really set up a lot of potential.

#2794 10 months ago

Not watching is so I don't know how closely it follows the 1st book, but if it does there is a big reveal coming

It's following fairly closely; some different perspectives but generally the story is pretty close. I'm sure the reveal will be on the last S1 episode

#2801 10 months ago
Quoted from northvibe:

That show was awesome. Sad they didn’t continue it.

What do you mean? Season 3 is about to come out on Thursday!

#2808 10 months ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Nice! The only time I ever signed a petition to save a show was for Firefly.

Good work! You got Serenity made

#2809 10 months ago
Quoted from MikeS:

The second season of "The Bear" was even better than the first. Episodes 6 and 7 were standouts and I wouldn't be surprised if the show took home some Emmys this year. They really developed some of the secondary characters better this season and there were some excellent guest actors brought in as well. Highly recommended!

No spoilers! I'm only on episode 2. What IS it about this show!? It's not insanity the whole time, there's no nuclear drama (so far[?]), the characters are relatable, they're not douchebags - even his loser cousin/friend has a pretty relatable backstory (although he is CLEARLY from Massachusetts lol). They're just going through what you go through - it's such a great change from the hyperpsycho shows, so much more relatable. Good timing.

I found out yesterday that guy "Fak" who is the video game guy is an ACTUAL chef who's apparently been on a bunch of other (mostly cooking-related) shows.

#2813 10 months ago

Totally digging the cringey dad jokes on “smosh pit”. Reminds me of you can’t do that on television when I was a little kid. Some brilliant, goofy stuff

#2815 10 months ago
Quoted from Mrbill:

I missed season 2, so I need to get caught up.
I saw witcher 3rd season is dropping on the 29th. I read there is a 4th season of the witcher coming but henry cavill is not involved. I did not read if it was a spoiler or just someone else will take up the sword..

They re-cast the Hemsworth brother who is NOT Thor as Geralt. But that was due to Cavill coming back as Superman, which.. well, I think we all know how that turned out. Really sucks for him (I mean the guy has such a rough life). So they back pull a fast one and bring him back. He's definitely way into the books and obviously the series.

#2818 10 months ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Will warrior air on hbo max right away? I think it was original on Cinemax or something

Yes

#2822 10 months ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Interesting, so 3 now, any idea when the next (4th) drops?

Thursday mornings at 3am EST

#2827 9 months ago
Quoted from schwarz:

Anybody watching this?
[quoted image]

We had a pretty good discussion about it a few pages back. Definitely worth the watch. It's a LITTLE frustrating that they don't really explain much of what's going on, but it had a great ending to season 2. I also saw the show was renewed for season 3, and they said about 10 times in the press releases that there will be more horror, more mystery but also more answers

#2831 9 months ago
Quoted from Pinball1987:

This is a pinball forum not a show forum. Thank you

See, there's this off topic section called "The Lounge" for non-pinball related stuff. That's where this thread sits. Maybe you should not

#2847 9 months ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

What’s wrong with John Wick? Haven’t seen #4 but the first three were great!

Was he saying it’s not as good as John Wick? I need punctuation!

2 weeks later
#2881 9 months ago
Quoted from romulusx:

You got my attention when you said Oldman is in it!The dude is an awesome actor

He's a phenomenally entertaining, grouchy, kind of gross curmudgeon that's been everywhere and done everything in this series.

#2894 9 months ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

Oh, ok - well, watched them all, waiting for the next one!

I really loved that show - season 2 was my favorite, I think. I always looked at it like a backdoor prequel to Star Trek, the way they eventually went into the future and in space. Plus, Ron Moore...

#2900 9 months ago
Quoted from John_I:

Hard to believe anyone could recommend White Lotus. I've seen it pushed on Max and finally gave it a try. This is up there with the worst shows I have ever seen. Characters, plot, dialog and acting are all ghastly.
Last of Us is also dreadful. I wanted to like the Peripheral, but it just doesn't click with me. The new Negan/Maggie Walking Dead show is no surprise downright awful.
Shows I do recommend:
True Detective Season 1. Seriously if you haven't seen it, just do it.
Barry. All seasons. Just a great show, so funny.
Reacher. This show is fun to watch. Much better than the movies.
Jack Ryan. Final season just wrapped up. Good solid show.
Terminal List is good action fun.
Outlaws. Watched it for Christopher Walken and ended up liking it!
Bosch. Even the new watered down cast Bosch Legacy show is good.

I just finished Reacher and I have to say the other shows on your list were IMO far more interesting. It started out great (100% agree superior to the movie) but then started reminding me of Banshee - pretty good but basically standard syndicated action show stuff. Not terrible, just I think my expectations were higher.

Did you finish Peripheral? I thought that was an amazing mashup of genres.

I have to go back to Jack Ryan, I keep hearing that’s great.

I see season 2 of Foundation (AppleTV) got a 100% on RT - that’s great news since I really wanted to get into that, but the first season. Was. Slooooooooooow.

#2904 9 months ago
Quoted from John_I:

OK this explains things a bit. I loved Banshee and watched the whole series over again not too long ago! Shows that I describe as fun are something that is a guilty pleasure sort of thing for me. Sometimes I don't want super serious plot or something that will be emotional when I just want to relax and watch TV. So these are not shows that will win many awards and I can understand others wanting a little more out of it.
Speaking of emotional. I know its a movie and not a TV show, but I watched The World According to Garp for the first time in at least 20 years the other day. What a great movie. Robin Williams at his best. Something about that movie brings out the full range of emotions in me when I am watching it. Classic John Lithgow movie too.

1000% agree on Garp! I caught that on tv as a kid and it stuck with me for 20-something years without ever knowing the title. Finally found it about 10 years ago and figured it out. Great
Film. That and Moscow on the Hudson are 2 highly underrated Robin performances.

I hear ya on Banshee/Reacher. They’re both good shows - exactly as you described. I feel like the “Night Agent” on Netflix kinda falls into that category as well, but I enjoyed that more. Maybe the spy element resonated with me a bit more. (?)

#2906 9 months ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

I enjoyed Last of Us.A little PC at times but a good watch.

A little PC?

#2912 9 months ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

I saw one partially climb a ladder at one point

I read this in my head with a total deadpan delivery. cracked myself up

#2916 9 months ago
Quoted from rai:I can’t get into ‘The Bear’ on Hulu, no likable characters doesn’t seem to be anything but chaos. Just watched 2 episodes think I’m done.
I love ‘Mr Inbetween’ so far it’s really great.

The Bear needs about 4 episodes to get out of that cycle. Everyone is unhappy and stressed in the first couple of episodes. Ebon-Moss Bachrach is kind of a douche the entire first season, but there's a REALLY funny couple episodes near the end you'll be happy you checked out. Oliver Platt.

#2926 9 months ago

Started “Full Circle” (HBO). DAMN that is good. My kid sat through 3 hour long episodes and he can barely finish a TikTok.

#2929 9 months ago
Quoted from N101AA:

What was the consensus on Lucky Hank? Good? Okay? Not so good? I have the first season on my DVR waiting to be watched, but I don't seem to be too interested in it right now as I didn't hear a whole lot about the show when it first aired.

The ratings are really high - but I suspect it’s mostly for Bob Odenkirk and not the writing. I made it through 2 episodes; those ratings on RT are rarely too far off, but you may just need to dive in and decide.

#2932 9 months ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

Into episode 4 of The After Party on Apple, worth the ride.
Pop star dies at a class reunion after party, each episode is kinda like a different take on the night.

2nd season is really creative - every episode is a different genre. There was kind of a Jane Austen one which was surprisingly funny, and a Philip Marlowe noir episode. I think the next one is a Wes Anderson style.

#2941 9 months ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

There's a show on Netflix that we watch before we hit the sack to cleanse ourselves from the action shows we usually watch, it's called Kim's Convenience. Korean family in Toronto that owns a convenience store, and just silly daily things that happen. We just finished the series last night (5 seasons, about 25min episodes). It's admittedly fluff, but if you're looking for something that you don't have to think too hard about....

That's a pretty great show - the dad is now on Mandalorian and the son is Shang-Chi (possibly the last great MCU movie, at least so far). Kinda messed up how they treated the actors after the show became surprisingly popular - but I guess they may not have moved on to bigger and better things

#2944 9 months ago
Quoted from mtn-:

Someone here tipped about From, I started watching a few days ago. Im really into it! Also intro music is really nice.

Courtesy of the Pixies!

#2945 9 months ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

I know, I saw the dad on Mandalorian and it's like, shit, he's speaking perfect English - so now we're wondering which one is the "real" guy, is he acting the English accent or the Korean one???
-

You’re kinda safe - if I recall correctly, he was born in Korea, and that show is from Canada so he learned to speak English there

#2951 8 months ago

“This Fool” is back for season 2 on Hulu. Funniest show I have EVER seen. Helps if you or family have a Latin background

#2955 8 months ago
Quoted from Gunnut40:

Warrior… not one fight last episode. No wonder they are going to replace them AI. It’s like a lifetime flick. I want to say hey dumbass. Yeah you! If wanted a bunch of talkie talkie… I would watched Dr Phil my nuts! Balance you morons!

Uh... dude, is everything ok?

#2959 8 months ago
Quoted from Mrbill:

just watched the 1st episode of season 2 of dark winds. season 1 was pretty good. But they should have stopped there. this first episode was so boring, I am not going to watch it anymore..

LOVED the first season. I doubt they expected to get a second, but hey neither did Reservation Dogs and they pulled off a killer subsequent 2 seasons

#2965 8 months ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Didn’t season one have Alexandria Dadario?

LOL as Woody Harrelson’s side piece. She was only in one or two scenes but let’s just say they stood out

#2974 8 months ago
Quoted from romulusx:

She has lovely eyes!

Guys I meant the scenes stood out

#2977 8 months ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

Rewatching "Glow" on Netflix, I kinda remember it being better the first time around.
14 chicks running around in tights....I'm soldiering through it...

Gets way better in the 2nd season. Wish they’d given Maron more to do

Also Heels season 2 just started

2 weeks later
#3015 8 months ago
Quoted from Oscope:Just read that Peripheral S2 has been cancelled due to the strike and Amazon decided to kill the series
Personally I thought it was an interesting premise but no sense in others wasting time on a single season dead end

God damn it. I really liked that show. Probably won’t be the last one that gets canned either.

#3016 8 months ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Ugh. That’s too bad. I get why some shows are canceled, but I always feel a little betrayed. I invested time in that show. I feel the producers owe me an ending even if it is a short season with only a few episodes. It seems like there should be some unwritten contract along those lines.

Pay them to produce a second series!

#3026 8 months ago
Quoted from FamDocKevin:

3 episodes into The Bear. Watching mostly because our friends have raved about it. We were told that you have to get past the 8th episode and it "gets good."
Happy to hear confirmation on this.
It's certainly intense. And the cinematography is outstanding. But having worked in diners and high-end restaurants, it feels too-real and too stressful to watch more than an episode at a time.

HA!! I get this. If you're 3 episodes in and you're not feeling it, you may not actually enjoy it. The 2nd season is very different from the first, but the chaos is still everywhere most of the season

1 month later
#3083 7 months ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Started watching loudermilk. It has will sasso and ron Livingston (guy from office space). It's mostly about alcoholism but it's also a good story

I caught that show last year after knowing nothing about it - I was totally sucked in

#3087 7 months ago
Quoted from mtn-:

Been watching Foundation lately. Finished season 1 yesterday, gonna start S2 tonight.
I read and loved the book series 30 years ago.. But cant remember anything about it.
https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0804484/

How do you find season 2 compared to season 1? Season 1 felt SO. SLOW. to me. I have not read Asimov's original books, so I wonder how that may factor in. It reminds me of Dune a bit, just in terms of the feudal system structure (not the story)

#3092 7 months ago

Slight swerve: just started watching Jose Andres and Family in Spain. ON MAX.

GREAT travel series in the vein of Anthony Bourdain, but without all the inner monologues. He teaches his kids about all these amazing places (restaurants as well as regions/towns) and they make fun of him. It’s a great show if you are looking for a little more family friendly flair but you don’t like the “me, me, me!” aspect of some of the usual shows

#3108 6 months ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

Just saw Frasier is coming back October 12 to Paramount streaming….

No Martin (obviously… RIP) but also no Niles. Or Maris!

1 week later
#3134 6 months ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:I've seen all of Mando. That was pretty good. Obiwan was mostly bad, and boba fett was pretty forgettable. Andor looks like one that I would enjoy. We actually started that one with the kids and decided to pull the plug after some pretty dark themes became apparent.
The kids are excited to watch Ahsoka. I am not. I watched the Clone Wars cartoon movie and wasn't a fan. I've heard from a lot of sources the cartoon show is actually good, but I haven't been able to get myself to start it.

If all you’ve seen of Clone Wars is that 2 hour movie, you should know that’s easily the worst storyline in that whole series. Ahsoka is more like the show Rebels which while not perfect was pretty entertaining, and overall more interesting than Clone Wars

Andor destroys them all though, FAR more interesting all around

#3142 6 months ago

We don’t have Hulu.
It’s shown on Crave here before it goes to U.s.

Any idea how long it’s shown there before it comes down south?

Nevermind, found it - Hulu streams s2 on Oct 27

#3146 6 months ago
Quoted from jrcmlc:

I just stumbled into "condor" which isn't bad. Little slow, but some good names and it's engrossing to an extent.

I forgot about that one - let us know how far you get.

#3152 6 months ago
Quoted from jrcmlc:

Tokyo vice was good, not sure if there is going to be a season 2.

100%! They just finished filming over the summer. Even though the book it’s based on kinda turned out to be BS, it made a great story.

That show makes a great companion to Giri/Haji on Netflix which is one of the best shows I’ve ever seen. Somehow it got buried in the early days of Covid, you have to hunt to find it. Not sure why

1 week later
#3166 6 months ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

There is so much AppleTV+ (you guys always leave off the +!) that looks interesting that I may cancel Netflix, Max, Showtime, and Hulu, for a while anyway, and try out AppleTV+! And save a not insignificant sum per month.
I can always play my Mr Show and FOTC DVDs!

There is a TON of great stuff on there. Not everything is a home run, but off the top of my head: for all mankind, silo, lessons in chemistry, changeling, Shrinking, the Tetris film, Foundation (heavy heavy scifi) are all amazing. And I am forgetting 10 other things

#3187 6 months ago

Someone mentioned “lessons in chemistry” on AppleTV, and MAN is that a great change from the Marvel and SW stuff we’ve been watching. ACTUAL science in a show! The story is pretty unusual too

#3189 6 months ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

We started it the other night too - so far, so good -

I cracked up at the end of Episode 2 - my wife had called it earlier in the episode, and YEP! Not the correct reaction but it reminded me of some other movie we had seen recently, so it just reminded me of that. But I love the determination, and that squirmy guy that totally lies to her face just pissed me off something fierce! LOL

#3193 5 months ago
Quoted from hypnotoad:

Bodies - Netflix

Seconded. I’m totally in on this.

And - god, while it kills me to say this: there is a kid on YouTube called “Kane Pixels” who is well on his way to a long time horror career. He’s got a movie in the works which I suspect will be trash but the 2nd one…

2 weeks later
#3218 5 months ago

Bass Reeves is on Paramount in the States. David Oyelowo is awesome, I will watch anything he’s in.

Started “30 Coins” on Max. Sort of like the Exorcist crossed with X-Files. That show is CRAZY. Paul Giamatti apparently in season 2, although we haven’t made it there yet.

Also the Godzilla show started! So far so good, Kurt Russell always a sign it will be intense

2 weeks later
#3245 4 months ago
Quoted from jorge5240:

I still am down with for all of man kind

I am not -quite- as into this show as when it started, because it’s so far into the future now (I really liked the alternate history of the early space program) but it’s still a far better show than most on right now. Not a ton of sci-fi happening. Star Trek Strange New Worlds is ok, but it’s not as engaging

#3250 4 months ago

Doctor Who is on point. The new Tennant episodes have been fun

#3257 4 months ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Just watched the first episode of A Murder at the End of the World on Hulu. It’s by the makers of The OA. Has a cool vibe to it, and I’m interested enough to see where it goes.

I really liked the "Knives Out" / Agatha Christie vibe at the beginning, and then I laughed out loud when it basically turned into an episode of "The Afterparty" (also a pretty good show) at the end. For some reason I was skeptical, but the subsequent episodes actually get better. I've not finished it yet though

#3259 4 months ago

Yes, stop now before you like it too much, it’s canacelled!

I have to say the cancellation of that show was probably the biggest disappointment of last year. That and Silo were my favorite sci-fi series by a MILE. And I've read the "Wool" (Silo) books so I'm hoping they actually change the story a bit. The books are very interesting but it does sort of become a little familiar by the end.

#3260 4 months ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I used to watch the show religoiusly, but I got bored midway through the Capaldi episodes and stopped. Tennant is my favorite of the new Doctors, so that's a great incentive to catch back up.

I HATED Capaldi's Doctor at first, he was so grouchy - but his episodes especially in his second season were great. I absolutely adored the 13th Doctor's character (Jodie Whittaker), but her stories were just sooooo boring. I loved how she brought this wonder to all of the goings-on, contrary to Capaldi's (initial) more world weary approach. But they failed her utterly with the pedestrian scripts. That writer - Chris Chibnall - is mercifully gone. Russel T. Davies is back and as usual, his ideas have been awesome.

#3265 4 months ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

It's also pretty tough to know where to start.

The new episodes are on Max, pretty much you can start there. Earlier episodes (1960s-1980s) have not aged all that well and are mostly for the completist. I’d start with season 2 on Max, where David Tennant is the new doctor. If you like scifi, it’s excellent. If you don’t, run away!! Lol

#3273 4 months ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

The writer's strike killed it. Amazon didn't want actors just sitting around. I suppose someone else could pick it up, I mean what streaming service wouldn't want to just pickup an established series?
Of course I thought the orville would already be streaming season 4 by now, but seeing how seth just started a prequel tv series for Ted I'm guessing it could finally be killed off. I think between moving networks and the cost of production it's tough to make a profit.

A couple of the actors discussed this in a recent interview. They basically said that it was taking so long for Seth to write the scripts (which he does by himself, apparently (!?!!)) the actors don’t get paid for sitting around but they were also locked in and prevented from doing anything else that they decided to just quit so they could pay their bills. Streaming services pay NOTHING, it’s not movie money; that was part of the reason for the strike

#3274 4 months ago
Quoted from vid1900:

30 Coins totally rocks (91% Rotten Tomatoes)
Turn on the Subtitles, because the dubbing track sucks.
If the Da Vinci Code was a horror movie...but with good actors. [quoted image]

Season 1, for sure. Season 2 became stupid and nonsensical. I was really bummed, as it had great potential

#3275 4 months ago

Also started on Season 2 of “Sweet Home”, the Korean Resident Evil-esque haunted apartment building story. Season 1 was off the hook. Season 2… let’s just say we had trouble even finishing an episode… reviews are awful too.

Season 1 is a complete story, and worth checking out.

#3280 4 months ago
Quoted from mtn-:

You wrote it before I got the chance! I doubt I will finish S2. I loved every minute of S1 so its sad.. Damn, so cool and inventive monsters!

I’m hoping season 3 is better. Season 1 was good enough to pull me past the season 2 mess. I hope they dig more into the Resident Evil-ness of it all. I’ve still never seen that story done right

#3281 4 months ago
Quoted from vid1900:

That's what made it great.
[quoted image]

I can’t help but be reminded of the band Ghost whenever I see the evil guys in season 2

#3294 4 months ago

Reminder about Slow Horses, that show keeps getting better and better

#3297 4 months ago
Quoted from skink91:

Still waiting for all season episodes to drop (can’t stand waiting to binge all of them anymore)

I get that - I’m actually enjoying getting to watch them one at a time. I noticed when I binged the show the last 2 seasons, I was missing stuff. Probably applies to most shows - but this one rewards you for paying attention

4 weeks later
#3332 3 months ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

This did not stick the landing IMO.

Crap, I didn't want to hear that - I saved the last episode on purpose. The OA also had kind of a questionable ending, although that may be because it was cancelled early - but streaming is all about getting eyeballs on the first 1-3 episodes

#3341 3 months ago
Quoted from 7oxford:

+1 on this. Very dry Australian humour.

I dug Fisk; my wife didn’t really get into it, which means it’s not top of the list right now. Back to finishing 30 Monedas

#3342 3 months ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I just started watching a show from a few years ago called Evil on Paramount+. I'm about halfway through the first season, and so far I'm very impressed.
https://www.paramountplus.com/shows/evil/

That show is NUTS! I can’t remember which season was best - they were all good. The 2nd and 3rd season make some changes (mostly for the better). They do a great job balancing the single episodes with the continuity episodes, and the evil guy is great. And the other evil guy too.

#3344 3 months ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

New 3 Body Problem (Netflix) trailer dropped today. I’m very excited for this, having read the first two books and currently reading the third in the series. Really, really cool conceptual sci-fi. Hoping the show does the books justice. Keep your eyes on this.

Finally .. they’ve been teasing this for what seems like years

Also: the Brothers Sun is legit. Does a good job of balancing the “Family” comedy with a kung fu show

#3350 3 months ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Of course, it’s by the team that did Game of Thrones. So, whether they don’t mess up the books remains to be seen. But, this could be great.

Oh god, I forgot about that. Now I remember why I stopped tracking this series. Those guys are idiots

#3351 3 months ago
Quoted from feedthebiscuit:

There is a Chinese version with subtitles that is on Amazon prime right now. Like the book, it’s a slow burn but 10 episodes in - it’s really good.

this sounds more like it. Thx for the reminder!

#3359 3 months ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Today, the first episode of Monsieur Spade dropped. Limited 6 episode series featuring Clive Owen on AMC, branching off from The Maltese Falcon. Check it out!

Little bit of a slow start, but it reminds me so far of the Amazon Prime Poirot limited series "ABC Murders". Definitely in on this one -

My kid just started watching Band of Brothers, so Spade is on pause until we get through that (and hopefully, The Pacific, and Masters of the Skies)

#3380 3 months ago
Quoted from skink91:

Lessons in Chemistry (AppleTV) has been great so far. One that I could even recommend to my parents, which is a rarity these days.

Totally loved this show. It was a great break from the other usual stuff, and I’m a sucker for science shows

#3389 3 months ago
Quoted from mtn-:

I just started on True Detective, S1. I've been saving this series for a rainy day.
Wow! In pretty sure S2 cant top S1, but..

Season 2 is very different. They dropped a lot of the vague cosmic horror references, and it's more of a straight forward 'anti-hero' cop show where everyone is a mess. Similar to S1 of Forbrydelsen. It's still pretty good, and worth watching, but certainly does not top S1. Season 3 had more of a sci-fi influence, and was FAR more interesting, IMO. Season 4 episode 1 was bonkers great, and I think has a chance to be as interesting as S1. It certainly brings back a lot of the horror influence.

Issa Lopez, who is in charge of S4 made a phenomenal horror film called "Tigers are Not Afraid", which is pretty exciting

#3393 3 months ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Did I even watch the same show? I don't remember any horror or sci-fi just...well..assets. I might need to revisit.

Are you referring to Season 3 or 4? All of the stuff is subtext, they wouldn't directly show, say - a spaceship (making this up, trying to avoid spoilers), or a supernatural being. But there's references all over the place, and if you just watch the show at face value, that stuff just adds to the overall feeling of dread (or in season 3, the feeling of confusion/despair). But if you catch the references, it adds additional layers to the show without having to drag it all out in dialogue.

I just watched the movie "Sicario" again - similar layered approach. The movie turns on its head part way through, and it's not at all obvious but it messes with the audience's expectations since we're familiar with things going a certain way

#3399 3 months ago

I started Loudermilk this week.
Holy shit i found my show! Sarcasm to the max!

The show keeps getting better. I watched 3 or 4 seasons during COVID (it was originally on Amazon Prime). Definitely hits hard if you have anyone in the family who's in recovery

#3403 3 months ago

Huge fan of Flight of the Conchords and the Taika Waititi oeuvre (what we do in the shadows, hunt for the wilderpeople, wellington paranormal), so started checking out Aussie shows which have a similar tone to the NZ stuff - awkward, understated sarcasm.

Anyway, someone mentioned Fisk, but Deadloch is also friggin hilarious

#3446 3 months ago
Quoted from pch3727:

Half way through Severance. Loving it so far. It's like a mash up of Lost and Control (video game). Don't know why I waited so long to start this.

I always thought of The Stanley Parable, but far more sinister. I wish there were more properties like this - it’s a corporate version of Blue Velvet

#3447 3 months ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Not trying to soap box or be political in anyway.It seems that a lot of shows recently have been so worried about inclusion and political correct that I feel they are busy trying to sway opinions instead of telling stories?

Tell us you’re a white guy without telling us you’re a white guy

#3448 3 months ago
Quoted from jrcmlc:

My nflx stock did too

Same. Can pay off my mortgage now

#3449 3 months ago
Quoted from jitneystand1:

Patriot on Amazon. Best I can describe it is Homeland made into a dark comedy with just a dash of Flight of the Concords.
And again, Mrs. Davis on Peacock. Based on lack of response I’ll assume few have seen it, but probably my favorite show of 2023.

Wow, thanks for the recommendation re: Patroit. I’d skipped over it a few times not knowing what it’s about.

Watched the full Mrs Davis - REALLY intriguing show, a little hard not to feel like they were just throwing every kitchen sink idea in. Few shows have been that insane!

#3452 3 months ago
Quoted from John_I:

Homeland was a great show. Just worked my way back through it. Definitely not a cheerful experience, but so well written and acted.
I was really looking forward to Reacher season 2 and ended up being disappointed. It just didn't click the way season one did. Even a mindless romp needs good characters and writing. I wonder if this show was affected by the writer's strike?

Felt the same about Reacher season 1, and the same about season 2. What a bummer. I enjoyed the Night Agent show on Netflix, which Season 1 seemed (sort of) similar to. Not so season 2... Based on timing, it was definitely affected by the writer's strike.

Just finished Echo, which was CLEARLY affected by the writer's strike. GREAT 4 episodes, and then WTF!?!? final episode 5. I read that Disney cut the budget considerably (Iger had returned), but the writer's strike had started, so they had to figure out a way to finish the show without rewriting it. What a mess! Was enjoyable until the last episode went bonkers (sort of enjoyable too but in a very different sense!)

#3470 89 days ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Tell us your a douche ……..
I think the majority of guys here feel this way but let’s just move on because this is a topic that we’re not supposed to say anything about!

Hey, the quote cut off my smiley, I was just poking you!

3 weeks later
#3528 63 days ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

I don’t know how many times Resident Alien has been mentioned but doesn’t matter. One of the best syfy comedy/dramas to come along.

For a second I thought you wrote "Resident Evil" and WTH!?! Totally agree, Resident Alien is diabolically underrated.

#3532 62 days ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Warrior was originally a Cinemax project for two years.When HBO/MAX absorbed them they were going to cancel it until myself and a bunch of other fans signed a petition to continue the series.It worked and now we have season 3 and hopefully 4,5,and 6.Anyway I love the show almost as much as I did Deadwood.I didn’t get around to watching Deadwood until about two years ago.If you like Warrior you’ll also like Deadwood

Good analogy. Thanks for signing the petition!

#3538 61 days ago
Quoted from mtn-:

God damn Im enjoying Masters of the air!

I need to give that another try. I wasn’t in the right frame of mind when I first checked that out. Love band of brothers and the Pacific, and this is like a sibling show

#3546 59 days ago
Quoted from Mrbill:

band of brothers is far better than the pacific. masters of air is better than the pacific.

Makes sense. Will check it out again! Something about the way they did the air strikes and the scenes with planes in BoB (especially episode 2) just really resonates with me. Masters just looks way too fake IMO.

#3547 59 days ago
Quoted from Irishbastard:

My wife mentioned this, and I shrugged her off....Guy Ritchie!? Can't wait! Haven't missed one of his movies (Some were horrible, but some were epic!) Love me some Lock Stock and Snatch

The movie looks crazy, so hopefully this is good too

#3556 54 days ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

I watched the first two episodes of Shogun and liked it a lot so far.
Felt not too great about Constellation also. Watched the first three episodes and I don’t think I’ll watch anymore. Seems like it’s trying really hard to be a clever story. And I’m probably also a bit worn out on alternate reality/alternate universe stories right now.

I was a little unsure about Constellation as well; it’s a LOT of minutes to say not so much. However, episode 4 moved the story forward quite a bit. You may want to check that episode out before you totally give up. I still think it’s pretty good, but probably am more willing to watch it since there’s a black hole of scifi right now.

#3561 52 days ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

I just finished the third book in the “Remembrance of Earths Past” series (aka 3 Body Problem). The first two books were great. The third book was utterly amazing. I know the series likely just focuses on the first book for season 1. I’m having trouble figuring out how the third book can translate to the screen.

Any interest in the Chinese adaptation? I've been putting that off but I may break down and watch a few episodes

1 week later
#3581 44 days ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Watched the latest version of Wonka with the kids.Very well written with great characters.

My niece was graduating from the AF academy and we went up to see the ceremony. When she got a few hours of leave, she chose to eat at some fast food place and go see that movie. I was pretty reluctant, but damn if I didn’t surprise myself in loving the whole thing. Reminded me quite a bit of the early Muppet movies, in terms of the humor. Definitely recommended

#3589 41 days ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Anybody watch Poor Things on Hulu with academy award winning Emma Stone?

That movie is flat out insane. Totally a 70s throwback, it invites *some* comparisons to Frankenstein, but it's not a re-telling of the story. Very nuts. Not Jodorowsky, but crazy for a "mainstream" movie. I think I liked it? lol

#3597 40 days ago
Quoted from jorge5240:

Only a couple episodes in but so far a big fan of this show.

I expected this to be a big heist/war type show, like the similarly promoted movie that’s coming out. I was really excited to find that it’s more nuanced than that, definitely has that “one more episode” thing going on.

#3607 38 days ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Watched it for the fun distraction of it.John Cena is funny again like in the series whose name I can’t remember right now lol

Peacemaker?

#3621 34 days ago

2 episodes deep into Devil in Ohio limited series
so far it's very good

Watch your feet, I’m ‘bout to name drop!!

Bump for my high school buddy Sam Jaeger

#3636 33 days ago
Quoted from skink91:

Just finished 3 Body Problem. It is ‘fine’… but for me the Chinese series is definitely superior.
They both end up at the same spot, but IMO it just seems someone felt the need to make an English language version of it where the character and series focus was decidedly less Chinese as well as diversify the cast.

Well… yeah. There’s ALREADY a Chinese one

#3643 32 days ago
Quoted from skink91:

My point was that this one is inferior… so watch the Chinese one. I guess I am just not someone that needs an Americanized version of everything to make me feel better about myself.

I don’t agree the Chinese one was better - I felt far more drawn into the Netflix one. BTW, no one in the cast is American?!?

#3644 32 days ago
Quoted from Mrbill:

I have not watched band of brothers in maybe 10 years, but I really liked it. Funny thing my brother did not like masters of air as much as I did. he says 3rd after pacific. I would say pacific is 3rd.

I watched these recently myself, and I’m going on have to agree with your brother. I couldn’t figure out why I didn’t get into MoA, and then I started watching the early BoB episodes and I realized how cool all the airplane scenes are in BoB and MoA just felt totally fake to me

#3645 32 days ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

Started watching Hand of God on Prime yesterday, ok so far. Guy is a judge who thinks God is telling him how to avenge his son who attempted suicide and is now in a coma, the wife is trying to get him unplugged -

Is this the Bryan Cranston show?

#3650 32 days ago
Quoted from skink91:

What makes it ‘Americanized’ or targeted for American consumption is it being moved to English and the focus being on a Western (more diverse) and specifically non-Chinese cast and locale. This is likely the very reason you were more drawn into it.
Edit: this isn’t meant to be a judgment about you or anyone else… so please don’t take it as a personal attack.

Not at all, but I appreciate you saying so. Now that I’ve seen both I’ll go back to the Chinese one again. As a fan of the books (I’ve not read the 3rd yet, still finishing the book American Fiction is based on), I guess I always pictured it in my head according to my location, and the science nerds I know. I haven’t loved a series as much as either version of the show in a long time.

#3662 31 days ago

Which version would you suggest for someone that does not read l. And has no prior knowledge of plot/story/etc ?

They aren’t THAT different. I’d say if painting with a super broad brush, the Chinese version is a little more about the facts and the plot, and the Netflix is more about the people and their drama. Both still good in their own ways, I found the Chinese one a bit harder to get into at first, but it wasn’t a big deal once it got going.

One big downside for the Netflix one is it has a terrible cliffhanger and there’s no guarantee they will renew it!

#3663 31 days ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

No, Ron Perlman is the main actor. Dana Delaney plays his wife, and there's another guy whose name escapes me that you'll probably recognize. He was in the walking dead for a couple seasons and a show called Raising Hope years ago.

Got it. Hand of God. Andre Royo is the other dude (from the Wire) Will check it out!

1 week later
#3669 21 days ago
Quoted from jitneystand1:

Are you maybe thinking of Your Honor? That’s Bryan Cranston and it’s very good

Yep, that's what I thought at first

#3679 19 days ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Just finished Mr and Mrs Smith (Amazon Prime). I liked it. It’s not for everyone. Very different feel than the movie. I got more into the feel of the show as the season went on. The last episode in particular was a lot of fun. I do hope there’s a second season.

100% agree with all of this. WAY WAY WAAAAAAY more interesting than the movie. The locations (that beach house in Italy!) are amazing. I didn't really get into it until the 3rd episode or so. Was hoping for more of a techno-thriller initially, but it swerved and went in a good direction.

#3683 19 days ago
Quoted from John_I:

Tokyo Vice is definitely worth a try. It's on Max. I really enjoyed it. Probably the only negative is there are a lot of subtitles, but its about an American guy in Japan so that is to be expected. At least there was a decent amount of English too. The second season just ended last night. Don't let the title fool you, it is not a Miami Vice spinoff.

This show is AMAZING. I liked the first season a bit more than the 2nd, but it's still good. a total hidden gem if you like this one is Giri/Haji on Netflix. IMO a FAR superior show mostly centered around the same Yakuza storylines, but with Kelly MacDonald from Trainspotting

#3695 18 days ago

I lol'd

#3732 12 days ago
Quoted from JMK:

THOHH is great! Turn off the lights for the complete experience.

OH nice! It is way creepier the second time after you know

#3740 11 days ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Nice, I figured there'd be some Fallout watchers in here so I rewatched True Detective S1 and waited for the reviews to come in. Guess I'll give it a spin this weekend!

Was he in True Detective S1? I guess I'm checking that out again...

#3741 11 days ago
Quoted from John_I:

Walton Goggins is a great actor and perfect for the role and fallout is definitely entertaining so far after two episodes. I started watching Fallout after giving up on Mr and Mrs Smith. I don't give up on shows very often once I've seen the first few episodes. Its not terrible, but it is also not good and filled with cringe worthy bad dialog. Maybe something to do with the writer's strike?
Speaking of terrible. True Detective season 4. I finished the whole season just because I really like Jodie Foster and figured it had to get better after the first few episodes. It didn't. It did the impossible and continued to get worse and finished with no redeeming value whatsoever. It is in my top 5 worst TV shows ever.

I almost gave up on Mr & Mrs Smith as well, but I ended up watching I think the 4th episode, and it suddenly got good again. Ron Perlman is in a later episode which is GREAT.

#3742 11 days ago
Quoted from JMK:

Huh, goes to show you, different strokes for different folks. I really enjoyed TD S4. It def got a bit out there at times, but I found it an interesting season.
However, I do like Walter Goggins- funny as hell in Vice Principals.

I enjoyed TD S4 as well, but it was a little underwhelming. I think they overplayed their hand with the supernatural teases, and then didn't really deliver. Same issue I had with S1 actually. DAMN IT Jodie Foster is amazing though. I liked the other actress too - she's a champion boxer. Not as skilled in the acting department but I dug the intensity she brought, and the awful scene(s) with her sister. those were just a dagger through the heart.

#3743 11 days ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

I am very much enjoying fallout. I did not play the game but I fully appreciate the whole thing.
My fiancée said “is this a joke.”
She is not a born gamer like me. So it makes sense, it is not her thing.
To me / pretty dang fun.
[quoted image]

I mean it IS kind of a joke. They've taken the violence to Paul Verhoeven levels. There's not THAT much in the way of plot but I like they way they're handling the mysteries of the vault.

#3746 11 days ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

No Goggins in TD S1, I was just killing a little time with the rewatch!

Gotcha, not sure how I came up with that. No spoilers! We are still halfway through

#3748 11 days ago

Not a show (but it almost was); I’m watching The Nice Guys with Russel Crowe. This has got to be one of the funniest movies I’ve ever seen

#3755 10 days ago
Quoted from OzPaul:

Binge watched all eight episodes of Fallout over the weekend.
[quoted image]

Was just about to post about this. ABSOLUTELY nailed the tone of that game. Super enjoyable/weird/funny scifi show

#3768 8 days ago
Quoted from Mrbill:

yes its in german with some english. so lots of subtitles. it came out in 2018 and ran 4 seasons. sky television with german tv. you can watch the first season on hulu. but 2-4 you will not be able to see easily. I read they were planing on do more seasons, but the studio pulled the plug. The 4th season is only 6 episodes and and it felt rushed. They also look like they tried to finish up are the story lines too.
I bought the 4 seasons of bluray off amazon uk. they were shipped from australia. they are region 2, so you will need a multi region player. or what I did, was hook my pc up to my tv and changed the pc's bluray to region 2.
the other option is to find a way to download it. I would say watch season 1 on hulu. if you enjoyed it, then watch season 2.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5830254/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_3_tt_8_nm_0_q_das%2520boot
I have not watched the 1981 film in about 10 years. before that I saw it in the theater. I think the theatrical run may or may not not have been the directors cut. It was german with subtitles. you really want to watch the directors cut. I am pretty sure the directors cut has dubbed and subtitled version.

Both versions are awesome. The 1981 film ALSO was released as a (much longer) tv miniseries, so make sure you are looking specifically for the 2018 version

#3772 7 days ago
Quoted from vid1900:

If you guys ever go to Chicago, be sure to go inside the captured U-boat.
None of the movies can come close to showing you how confined those things actually were.[quoted image]

Crap, I need to find that. Chicago here we come!

#3773 7 days ago
Quoted from Mrbill:

From what I read, the mini series does not add any action to the movie, just adds a bit of character development and adds a ton of time showing the boredom and confinement of the long missions.
I just watched a documentary they just did on das boot in 2023. it was on youtube and was interesting. Did not know german critics hated it as they felt it glorified the characters and came off as a pro war movie. even the author distanced himself from the theatrical run of the movie. but the world wide reviews were very positive especially in the uk and usa. They enjoyed it was anti war movie.
https://www.thepartysales.com/movie/u-96-the-true-story-of-das-boot/
I thought it was 1.5 hours. so maybe look around and see if this the full version.

also interesting was cast recounting how a persons from la rochelle wanted to beat them up while filming for making the film.

Thanks for that link, I will try to find it. I dont' really remember the differences between the 1981 film and miniseries version, but I do remember the miniseries being LONG, so it was probably more drama, less action, like you said. It's still worth checking out after the more recent one, IMO.

#3783 6 days ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

You mean that in a good way? Or final season GOT?

It’s really good - not as trashy as GoT could get, it’s more subtle but the machinations and manipulations are very similar. It just got kicked into high gear the last episode or two.

#3794 5 days ago
Quoted from John_I:

I need to go back to it. I just watched the first half of the first episode and it looks really good. I'm burned out on reading sub-titles after Tokyo Vice though. Are all the episodes mostly in Japanese?

Subtitles get easier the more you do it. Highly recommend you check that show out.

Also, my regular reminded to check out Giri/Haji on netflix. 100% review ratings, for some reason was buried over the last few years, but it is awesome.

#3795 5 days ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Watching 2nd season of Twilight zone from 2020. LOVED the first season and sort of forgot about it because they gave 2nd season bad reviews. It's still really good and I'm bummed it got cancelled.

2nd season was really good too. Most of the bad reviews were for stupid reasons. Those episodes were telling the EXACT same type of stories Rod wrote back in the 60s, it's just some of the reviewers were wearing white-colored glasses in remembering the old series

#3798 5 days ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

Just got around to Reacher,its good enough that I will keep watching.
The main female character keeps going in and out on her southern accent.
Alan Ritchson makes me want to hit the gym.
[quoted image]

If you really love the first season, just stop there and rewatch it if you need more.

#3799 5 days ago
Quoted from gweempose:

While he may not be nearly as talented of an actor, Ritchson definitely embodies the character way better than Cruise. Anyone who has read the books knows that Reacher is an absolute beast! His size and strength are core attributes.

Psyched about that Inglorious Gentlemen movie or whatever it’s called. It seems to me like possibly a crazier and funnier Expendables

#3806 5 days ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

Are you saying its all the same rinse and repeat.

I’m saying the second season is really bad LOL

#3807 5 days ago
Quoted from JakeFAttie:

season 2 was so bad in comparison. real bummer because I too loved the first season. :-/
BTW, probably not the cup of tea of most here, but "We Are Lady Parts" is a very fun, creative, audacious comedy about an all-girls, muslim, rock band in England. I loved it. Kind of the real version of what Disney keeps trying to make. And, big news today, after three years it's coming back with a second season!
[quoted image]

I forgot about this! That show was awesome

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rdoyle1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/im-trying-to-find-a-new-tv-series-to-watch?tu=Rdoyle1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.