pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0049 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6661.gif
2006-The-Departed-03-2254582836 (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-03-21 at 16-45-23 3 Body Problem (2024) (resized).png
s-l1600aaa (resized).jpg
2222 (resized).jpg
s-l960 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Nokoro.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 7 years ago

Legion. I just finished the first season on FX. One of the best shows on TV right now IMO. Unlike anything else.

10 months later
#264 6 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

If you liked Walton Goggins in Justified, you gotta watch Vice Principals. Completely different character, but another excellent performance!

Unfortunately, the second season was the end of the series. I wish they would have done more.

#277 6 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I've never seen a single episode of SoA. For some reason, it just never appealed to me, but I'd be willing to give it a shot just for Walton Goggins. Was he in a lot of episodes? One show that he was in that is definitely worth watching is The Shield.

Goggins is only in a few episodes of SoA, but he is really good. SoA is a good show, but I found that it became overly complicated as the seasons went on. I didn’t understand half the things they were talking about, but that may have been purposeful.

I forget, has anyone mentioned The Brink. That’s a great show on HBO, but unfortunatley only lasted one season.

10 months later
#492 5 years ago

Just watched the first episode of "Sex Education" on Netflix. It is excellent. I look forward to watching the rest of the series.

#510 5 years ago
Quoted from Jigs:

Awesome! I’m the prop master on preacher. Thanks for watching!

Wow! That must be a fun job. The sets and props are amazing.

#513 5 years ago
Quoted from fisherdaman:

Killing eve is becoming my favorite TV show right now. Highly recommend it.

Ditto. That's a really great and unique show.

1 month later
#555 5 years ago

I said this a few posts back, but I’ve now finished the first season: Sex Education on Netflix is excellent. The acting is great — Gillian Anderson is amazing as the Mom of the show — and it is surprisingly heartfelt and authentic given the subject matter.

2 weeks later
#557 5 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I just finished The Haunting of Hill House on Netflix and I thought it was excellent. The sixth episode is one of the best things I've ever seen on TV.

Agreed. Great, great show!

1 week later
#570 5 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I couldn't get past the first episode of this show. Does it get any better?

Yes, it's a fantastic show. If you are worried about the vomit, there isn't much more of that, though there is some gore throughout. If you don't like the chemistry between Barrymore and Oliphant, well then the show isn't for you. I, for one, love it.

#572 5 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I have no problem with gore, and I actually really like Oliphant. I just think Barrymore is a painfully bad actress.

Hmmm. I think she is quite good in it, and I really like their chemistry. Give it another couple of episodes, and if it doesn't grow on you by then, it probably won't.

#573 5 years ago

I should also note that the supporting actors -- the two teenagers and all the neighbors -- are also quite good.

2 months later
#599 4 years ago
Quoted from AntennaMan:

Did anyone catch the first episode of NOS4A2?

Just did. My wife is hooked. I have mixed feelings so far. I’m intrigued but a bit worried that the story may fizzle out. Also, parts seem really well done and other parts seem a little less polished. I’m going to stick with it for a while and see how it goes.

6 months later
#674 4 years ago
Quoted from schwarz:

It would help, but the show Is set after so if you fill her in with some details she should be fine.

My son said the same thing. I’ve read the novel, but my memory of it is somewhat vague. My wife has not.

#682 4 years ago

Just watched the first episode of the Watchmen. It was really good. It definitely helps to have someone who can explain to / remind you of what happened in the book.

#685 4 years ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

Little House on the Prairie if your looking for a good solid family friendly logos filled show.
One of Micheal Landon's best.

Still my favorite TV show of all time. When I ask people if they can guess what my favorite show is, they can never guess. They always pick Lost or something, but really it is Little House.

Speaking of Lost, however, it is probably my second favorite show. I’m watching it for a third time right now with my daughter, having already watched it once with my wife and then my son. It doesn’t get old, and you pick up more and more with each viewing.

2 months later
#753 4 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Lots of time to binge watch. What's the newest hottest shows out right now?

Liking The Outsider on HBO right now though only 3 episodes in.

#757 4 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

I had my eyes on Sex Education. With the National lockdown coming looks like we will give it a whirl.

I agree it is an absolutely fantastic show. Just don’t watch it with your kids. I think it has really good messages for older teens, but it would be fairly awkward to watch it with them.

#760 4 years ago
Quoted from northerndude:

Just about done “Avenue 5”
HBO series, it’s friggin funny. I’ve been watching so many good 1 hour dramas and Etc for so long, this is great humour.

I’ve been wondering about that one. The ads don’t make it look that great, but it can be hard to tell from ads. Will have to check it out.

4 weeks later
#767 4 years ago

Just finished The Outsider. Really good show with a creepy mood.

Also been watching Futureman on Hulu. Really really really funny. Really.

2 weeks later
#786 3 years ago

While we’re at it, Little House on the Prairie. My favorite show of all time.

#790 3 years ago

How about Fraggle Rock? One of the greatest theme songs of all time.

1 month later
#798 3 years ago

Two episodes in and I’m really enjoying The Great on Hulu.

#801 3 years ago

The Plot Against America. Great and very relevant miniseries on HBO. The first episode is a little slow, but it takes off and steadily builds in intensity from there.

1 month later
#807 3 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Season 2 of Umbrella Academy available now, anyone see it yet?
We just started it...

My daughter watched all 10 episodes today. Now she’ll watch it again with me at a more leisurely pace.

#811 3 years ago
Quoted from ataritoday:

The Magicians on sci-fi channel.
Harry Potter, meets sci-fi, Meets Buffy the vampire slayer... read this probably does better job explaining it
https://www.wired.com/2017/01/magicians-season-2-review/

I would highly recommend reading the book series which is far superior to the show, and one of the best fantasy / critique on the genre series that is out there.

That said, after reading it, I have been watching the series, and it is very enjoyable with a great cast.

#813 3 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Well that's a good sign... we are on s2e4

My daughter said that she got very angry at a later episode, but I’ve told her no spoilers, so I don’t know why.

#817 3 years ago

I finished season 1 of Dark and am about to start season 2. Good show, but I feel like I need a chart to keep up.

#824 3 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Yep. And it just gets worse. Especially in season 3.

Yeah, figuring out who’s who is getting really confusing. I keep doing things like wondering “why is he so hesitant to kiss her all of a sudden?” And, then, I’m like, “oh, right.”

#831 3 years ago
Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

Netflix has a helpful site for that, https://dark.netflix.io/en. Seems like they've changed it a bit, previously I was able to find all the main characters and their relationship with one another on one page but now it's more season/episode based. Still, it's supposed to be a spoiler free reference for who's who

Oh cool. Thanks!

3 weeks later
#848 3 years ago

Watched the first episode of Lovecraft Country on HBO the other day and liked it a lot. Definitely worth checking out. I’m looking forward to watching the rest.

2 months later
#918 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Peaky Blinders is Awesome. You do however have to listen closely to the dialog as the accents are tough to follow but Worth it!

Speaking of accents, Top of the Lake currently on Hulu is fantastic. I turned closed captions on to hear through some of the mumbling. Another great great performance by Elisabeth Moss in a totally unique show that just has a lot going on. I haven’t watched the sequel series yet, but the first series is great.

1 month later
#958 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I just started watching What We Do in the Shadows. I've never seen the movie, but the show is hilarious!

I was so reluctant to watch that show for some reason, and then when I started, I couldn’t stop. Really creative and funny show.

+100 for Queens Gambit as well. What a fantastic show all around!

1 week later
#983 3 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Anyone watching the steamy Netflix hit Bridgerton?

Quoted from gweempose:

My wife and I just watched the first episode last night. It was pretty good, and I'm looking forward to watching more.

We turned it off after the first 30 minutes. Just couldn’t get into the style of it. I was wondering if we should have given it more of a chance. Is it more of the same after that or does it start to pick up?

1 week later
#1010 3 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

That's the down side of releasing an entire season at once, you watch it in 2 days, then you wait for a year.
Back in the good old days of tv release, there was only 3 to 6 months to wait for the next season.
I'm happy with how Disney decided to release The Mandalorian weekly.

And, at my advanced age, I can’t remember for the life of me what happened on the show 10 months ago. When you watched a show that was 23 episodes long and ran for 9 months, it was much easier. Netflix doesn’t help the situation at all either by refusing to have scenes from last time on most of their shows.

#1014 3 years ago
Quoted from seeburg220:

Though it's not a new show, I'm enjoying Southland on HBO+.

Great show! Ended too soon.

1 month later
#1066 3 years ago

“Unorthodox”

A 4 episode miniseries on Netflix. Very well done, and very interesting.

2 weeks later
#1077 3 years ago

Anyone watch Debris last night? Any good? It looks like one of those shows that should be good but probably isn’t.

#1078 3 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Anyone watch Debris last night? Any good? It looks like one of those shows that should be good but probably isn’t.

Just watched it. Unimpressed. It’s trying to be like too many shows that have come before it.

#1082 3 years ago
Quoted from Budman:

I started to watch Bridgerton and turned it off ten minutes into the first episode.

We waited 20 minutes before turning it off. Eventually went back. It slowly gets better, enough that I enjoyed watching the first season. But, it is by no means great and is well over-hyped IMO.

1 week later
#1101 3 years ago

Just finished watching “Episodes” on Showtime. Really great show. The very first episode is not that great but quickly gets better after that.

Also just watched the first episode of “War of the Worlds” on Epix. It was really well done and had that slow building tension that I really like. I hope the other episodes match it.

3 months later
#1117 2 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

I'm surprised Kevin Can F**K Himself is on AMC and not some pay channel. I tried watching the first episode and hated every character except Allison. I didn't make it past 12 minutes before I bailed. But critics seem to like it.

I watched the full first episode. It’s a great concept but it was completely unclear where the story was heading, and ultimately didn’t hold my attention. I couldn’t see it advancing beyond the clever concept to something I would want to watch week after week.

#1120 2 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Getting a little desperate for shows because of the Covid slowdown, so tried a couple:
Animal Kingdom. This is actually a pretty good show with characters that are all good, except "Smurf" is just ok. I enjoyed it for what it is and Season 5 is just starting.
War of the Worlds (EPIX). This show is incredibly bad. Simply awful. It's poorly done science fiction and another Walking Dead post apocalypse wanna be. Very little actual science fiction plot and a lot of stupid characters, subplots and corny dialog that is truly meaningless.

Love Animal Kingdom. I think I discovered it because of this thread.

I did really like season 1 of War of the Worlds. It was slow, but it had good characters and tension. I’ve watched the first two episodes of Season 2 so far, and I think it has ruined the show for me. Completely changed the whole premise, and I’ve lost interest. Will probably still watch, but I’m disappointed.

1 month later
#1177 2 years ago
Quoted from TiltingT:

A sneaky good series that me and my wife both loved was Future Man on Hulu.. one of the best series I have watched in a while, good mix of comedy,action, and a pretty unique story, we absolutely loved it
[quoted image]

Really loved the first season. Kind of got lost halfway through the second season and never went back. Perhaps I need to try it again.

3 weeks later
#1186 2 years ago
Quoted from fredo62:

Have you seen " Casa del Papel "
[quoted image]

Just started it. In the States, they changed the name to Money Heist for some reason. My daughter has watched all of the episodes and is a big fan. My wife and I are only on the third episode but really like it so far.

3 weeks later
#1216 2 years ago

Just finished the third season of Sex Education. It remains an excellent show with smart, round characters and positive messages about emotional health and inclusiveness.

Also, half way through Midnight Mass on Netflix from the maker of Haunting of Hill House. Really cool show so far. It is a slow burn, but it builds in intensity. So far, I’m hooked.

#1219 2 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

2nd season is coming soon

Really? I always assumed it would just be one season. Interesting.

2 weeks later
#1236 2 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Also, half way through Midnight Mass on Netflix from the maker of Haunting of Hill House. Really cool show so far. It is a slow burn, but it builds in intensity. So far, I’m hooked.

So, I’ve now officially finished Midnight Mass, and it is really quite good. It is definitely worth checking out. A very character driven, intense horror series. Part of the fun is slowly learning what’s going on and then seeing how the characters deal with it.

If you prefer fast moving action, this one likely won’t be for you though.

#1238 2 years ago
Quoted from schwarz:

Struggling through Haunting of Hill House partly because I enjoyed Midnight Mass so much.

I really liked Haunting of Hill House. Probably the scariest of his series for me. Each of his series has a different feel to it. Haunting of Bly Manor was probably my least favorite though I did still like it quite a lot.

1 month later
#1262 2 years ago
Quoted from schwarz:

Been enjoying this and feel like it’s gonna get pretty crazy.[quoted image]

Me too. Very enjoyable so far, and I’m quite intrigued to find out what’s going on.

#1264 2 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

Watching this.
[quoted image]

Loved that show!

#1271 2 years ago

The Great season 2 recently came out on Hulu. Started making our way through it, and so far it is just as enjoyable as the first season. If you haven’t tried it yet, you should.

2 weeks later
#1325 2 years ago

We watched a couple of episodes of The Leftovers and couldn’t get into it. These posts have me thinking we should give it another chance. Or not.

1 week later
#1376 2 years ago

+1 for Yellowjackets. Really good show.

1 month later
#1462 2 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

That "knock out" thing is used constantly in tv and movies and always bothers me. The butt end of a gun doesn't just work like a pause button.

Agreed. All these people on TV being “knocked out” would have serious concussions at a minimum and likely long term brain damage.

I also love shows like Supernatural where they constantly slice their palms to draw blood for spells but miraculously never have a scar. I accidentally cut into my finger once. It bled for an hour. I needed stitches, and it took weeks to heal.

#1465 2 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

I got a million beefs with stuff on tv
- How come the brakes on every car squeak
- how come guns never run out of ammo
- how come knives make a metal on metal sound when ever you take them out of a leather sheath
- why doesn't anybody ever say "Bye" before they end a phone call
don't get me started

Why do people only have conversations walking down hallways standing side by side?

#1467 2 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

You cut an artery there are three total on each finger.If you slice into one it will continue to pump out blood everytime you heart beats.

Fair enough. Still, do you think it’s practical to keep slicing into one’s palm for witchcraft? At some point, the scars would be so thick and tough, I’m not sure it would work anymore.

#1469 2 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Don’t know about the other stuff just know about fingers I was a Finish Carpenter for 42 years.
I still have all my fingers but I had a beagle jump on me while cutting cabinet filler rails on a table saw.
I wrapped them in the Hardee’s napkins and applied pressure to no avail.I had severed an artery in my index finger.I waited until the shock wore off (you get real cold for awhile)calmed myself and drove to get medical assistance

I was making clear ice cubes for cocktails and cutting a block of ice with a serrated blade when it slipped. Now I always use cut resistant gloves. Won’t make that mistake again. $6 or $7 on Amazon.

Now, back on topic. How about that show Archive 81! (Of course, they cut their palms for witchcraft in it, but whatever.)

#1471 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I loved ‘Reacher’ but he got shot in the flank and was good to go in a few hours.

I remember one episode of 24, the character Tony had what looked like pretty major surgery and then was running CTU again a couple of episodes (supposedly 2 hours) later. Almost as ridiculous as Jack Bauer making it through LA traffic from one end of the city to the other in an hour.

1 week later
#1490 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Had only watched seasons 1-2 of Ozark.
Just started to watch from the beginning, is there a best season or are they all pretty consistent?

I think they’re all pretty consistent, though the stakes seem to get higher with each season.

4 weeks later
#1565 2 years ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Dopesick on Hulu is pretty solid.
Chris

Agreed. Great show that shows how the opioid crisis evolved from a number of different angles.

2 weeks later
#1594 1 year ago

Been rewatching two shows with my daughter:

Derry Girls (really funny, but watch with subtitles as the accents are strong and the dialogue quick)

Community

3 weeks later
#1639 1 year ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Minx is a cute fun show.

Agreed. It was a surprise. Very enjoyable.

1 week later
#1654 1 year ago
Quoted from schwarz:

I’m finding the new season of Stranger Things difficult to watch

I just watched the first episode. I’m not sure why all episodes have to be so long. They definitely could have edited it down a bit. And all the actors suddenly look much older than the parts they are playing.

1 month later
#1823 1 year ago

Finally finished Stranger Things 4. I really liked it, including the last two episodes. Yes, they sidelined some of the main characters, but honestly, I’m not sure they’re the main characters anymore. The season had a different vibe from the prior seasons and didn’t feel like more of the same. I hope they cross the finish line in the next season and have a satisfying conclusion.

1 week later
#1829 1 year ago
Quoted from westofrome:

Just watched the first episode of The Rehearsal on HBO Max. It's Nathan Fielder from the show Nathan for You, and the new show is kind of a bizarre docu-comedy where he helps people "rehearse" difficult social interactions by bringing in actors, building replica sets, etc. Super weird and funny.

Nathan for You was a great show. Really looking forward to checking out The Rehearsal.

3 weeks later
#1843 1 year ago
Quoted from marspinball:

Just watched The Sandman on Netflix. Thought it was very good.

Two episodes in, and I’m really liking this a lot as well. Glad it stays good.

2 weeks later
#1971 1 year ago

Weirdly, I quite enjoyed season 3 of the Umbrella Academy. I guess everyone is different.

I totally agree about Futureman. Season 1 was absolutely brilliant. I stopped watching season 2 halfway through. I could barely follow it.

I’m four episodes into Sandman right now and really have been enjoying it.

#1989 1 year ago

Ok, I just watched the diner episode of Sandman. I really liked it. But I like shows and episodes that are slow burns and build up the tension. My wife said it was her favorite episode to date. So, it just shows that tastes are different. Form your own opinion.

1 week later
#2015 1 year ago

Two episodes into “The Bear” on Hulu and like it a lot. Very curious as to how the show continues to develop.

#2020 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Because of my wife I got accidentally hooked on Below the Deck series. The show both fascinates me and pisses me off. I realize it's a reality show, and so I have a feeling some people are assholes for television, some of the stuff that happens just appalls me, because I've seen that sort of entitlement in real life by people with much less. It also reminds me of how not rich I am.

The charter guests are also paying way less than those charters normally go for. They get a substantial discount for agreeing to be filmed.

#2033 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

Two shows I have watched - Inkmaster and Forged in Fire. The first ridiculed and insulted the loser each week, I stopped watching. The second praised the effort and the good points of the loser, but still told them why they were booted. I still watch. That’s just me, I don’t take joy from meanness or someone’s misery. Unless it’s fiction and part of the story, of course.

Squid Game is fiction. Just making sure you knew as your post left me wondering. if it wasn’t, no one would be watching . . . I hope.

2 weeks later
#2133 1 year ago

I’m ready to start a new show to watch while my wife is out. Should it be Rings of Power or House of the Dragon? What’s the consensus if choosing between the two?

#2135 1 year ago

Both.
I’m doing both at the same time right now.
Both winners in a different way

I’m going to have to choose one to do before the other. I’m leaning towards House of the Dragon, but that’s more of an HBO bias than anything about the shows.

#2139 1 year ago

Thanks all. I’ll start House of the Dragon tonight and save Rings of Power for later.

Quoted from rai:

How about Wheel of Time or The Witcher?

Tried The Witcher. Liked the first episode. Lost steam after the second. I should go back. Haven’t tried Wheel of Time. I heard mixed reviews about it.

1 month later
#2246 1 year ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Two episodes into “The Bear” on Hulu and like it a lot. Very curious as to how the show continues to develop.

Finished. Really good show.

#2261 1 year ago

I just finished House of Dragon. I liked it a lot. Don’t go in expecting GoT. It’s in the same universe but is much smaller in scope, focusing on the palace intrigue surrounding two groups vowing for power.

2 weeks later
#2314 1 year ago

I’ve been rewatching Legion with my daughter. It’s just as confusing the second time around but remains one of the most fun, trippy, mind-blowing and revolutionary shows out there. And, a Marvel show no less. Definitely worth checking it if you like non-traditional narrative.

#2315 1 year ago

And, speaking of non-traditional narratives, I just finished season 3 of Atlanta. I never knew what each episode was going to bring but loved every minute of it.

#2328 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

Watching Wednesday, fun series

I’m looking forward to that. Glad to hear it is good.

#2341 1 year ago

“Fleishman is in Trouble”. A couple episodes in so far. Really great cast, and I’m hooked.

#2343 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

This based off the Fleishman books?

Apparently it is based off a book. I didn’t know that before your post and then looked it up.

3 weeks later
#2388 1 year ago

I finally got to and finished The Rings Of Power.

The acting is bad. The writing is fairly poor. But the spectacle is on par with the LOTR movies, and the plot had me intrigued enough that I kept wanting to watch. The twists that came at the end caught me by surprise, which I liked, though may not catch more hardcore Tolkien and LOTR fans by surprise.

If you want a new fantasy series, I would pick House of the Dragon over it. But, if you want that movie and LOTR feel with an entertaining plot, it is worth giving a shot.

1 month later
#2460 1 year ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

it lost me at season 2, could not get through it and season 1 was fantastic

Couldn’t agree more. Season 1 of Futureman was absolutely brilliant. And then it just fell off a cliff.

4 weeks later
#2484 1 year ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

I just finished up the 8th episode of The Peripheral. Its OK. It is interesting to watch and all, but it is somewhat mentally jarring (which fits the whole theme of the story, doesn't it?). I am a big Gibson fan and have read all of his books including The Peripheral. As I am watching the show, I am sitting there thinking, well this is cool, but then all of a sudden, wait, what!?!? That doesn't seem to be the way the book went at all. So I took a break and reread the book again, which is great and way out there like all of his stuff.
Bottom line is, they have the idea of the storyline from the book, but have diverged from the details widely and wildly, basically making it a different story entirely. If you are a fan of the book, that may bother you. I'm on the fence, trying to enjoy the show as it unfolds, but at the same time kind of aggravated that they didn't just stick with the original storyline (for whatever reasons).
I would be interested to know the opinions of anyone who never read the book and just watched this series, did you like it?

I never read the book and liked the show quite a bit. I’m interested to see where it is going. It reminds me of Westworld a bit. I think it has some of the same producers.

#2495 1 year ago

I liked all seasons of Westworld and thought some aspects of the last season were really brilliant. However, that season started to fizzle by the end, and the ending was a bit of a let down. The producers had planned for one more season but didn’t get it. So, while it is still an actual ending, I did feel like something was missing.

1 month later
#2577 1 year ago

Season 2 of Yellowjackets just started. Great show to catch up on if you haven’t watched already.

2 weeks later
#2609 12 months ago
Quoted from ralphs007:

Before I was married,my two sister's convinced me that my girlfriend and I would enjoy the Broadway Play "Annie". So I gave it a shot. Ten minutes into the play ,I was thinking, how the hell did they think I'd like this show?
After what seemed like an eternity, everyone finally got up and headed to the door. I was so glad that the play was finally over,so I thought. (Once we got to the lobby area, my sister's asked me how I liked the show so far? I said "What do you mean so far" and they said this was just an intermission,we still have the other half to see.
I'm not sure if they saw the tears in my eyes,when I found out it wasn't over.
If someone enjoys musicals,good for them,but they're definitely not for me.

You can’t judge all musicals by “Annie”. Try Les Miz or The Who’s Tommy or Matilda or Book of Mormon or any number of other modern and sometimes rocking musicals. There’s a lot of variety and just like everything, some are way better than others.

3 weeks later
#2669 11 months ago
Quoted from schwarz:

I like Yellowjackets too but man that show has the worst snow I’ve ever seen.

Ha! I was just saying the same thing the other day as I watched Misty brush away white plastic shavings off the ground.

1 month later
#2797 10 months ago
Quoted from Zablon:

If anyone has lots of time on their hands to watch subs, you've probably seen Netflix advertising an upcoming show called The Three Body Problem. It's based on a Chinese science fiction book (1st book, there are 3 or 4 currently).
However, China made a very much true to the book 37 episode series that you can watch free on Youtube with English subs called Three Body. I had read lots about this set of books and was intrigued, but hard science fiction reading tends to not keep my attention. This show is pretty good and the overall book stories go over 100's of years. Because of some of the subject matter, there are spots here or there that are censored by the Chinese Government I think, and some questionable translations here or there, but overall it's pretty good.
It will be interesting to see what Netflix does with it.

I’m looking forward myself. I just read The Three Body Problem a couple of months ago. Good book. Lagged a bit in the middle, but a really powerful, thought provoking ending. The trailer for the new series looks great.

1 month later
#2981 8 months ago
Quoted from Zablon:

New season of Sunny has an episode with Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul on it playing themselves, and the whole time they are calling him Malcom's dad, and calling Aaron "Malcolm". lol

I was just thinking the same thing. Great episode!

2 weeks later
#3014 8 months ago
Quoted from Oscope:

Just read that Peripheral S2 has been cancelled due to the strike and Amazon decided to kill the series
Personally I thought it was an interesting premise but no sense in others wasting time on a single season dead end

Ugh. That’s too bad. I get why some shows are canceled, but I always feel a little betrayed. I invested time in that show. I feel the producers owe me an ending even if it is a short season with only a few episodes. It seems like there should be some unwritten contract along those lines.

#3024 8 months ago

Just finished rewatching Community with my daughter. It’s just as good, if not better, the second time through.

#andamovie

2 weeks later
#3066 7 months ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

I also have trouble suspending disbelief enough to have any fun watching superhero or action films, regardless of the protagonist's sex and/or gender.
Understanding physics and probability sure puts a damper on accepting what these characters pull off with unbelievable frequency.
Hell, any gunshot wound will normally send the victim into shock. They wouldn't shake it off and continue after the baddies in real life!
And miraculous escape after miraculous escape is terribly hard to swallow, a la that 2012 doomsday movie. After five or six "yeah, right"s, I'm done.

I had trouble with the show 24. How can they drive across LA with all the traffic in less than 10 min? Why does Jack Bauer never have to go to the bathroom? How come Tony Almeida is back in charge of CTU three hours after having major surgery?

1 month later
#3129 6 months ago

12 year old me would never believe that I could ever be behind in Star Wars content, and mostly apathetic about it.

12 year old me died with the release of Episodes 1-3.

1 week later
#3156 6 months ago

Just finished Jury Duty on FreeVee. That was a surprising funny and sweet show. The foreperson on a jury is a real person thinking he’s on a real jury hearing a real trial. But it’s all fake. Everyone is an actor except for him.

1 month later
#3253 4 months ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Yeah, Too bad they cancelled the series.

Agreed. I was pretty intrigued by it.

#3254 4 months ago

Just watched the first episode of A Murder at the End of the World on Hulu. It’s by the makers of The OA. Has a cool vibe to it, and I’m interested enough to see where it goes.

#3263 4 months ago

I confess I have never in my life seen one episode of Doctor Who and have no remote idea what the premise of the show is about.
(whoops, wrong thread, lol)

It's also pretty tough to know where to start.

Just start in the 1960s and work your way forward.

2 weeks later
#3299 4 months ago

Wolf Like Me on Peacock. Pretty unique show. Dramedy. Just finished season 1. Really liked it through the build up to the final episode. Looking forward to starting season 2. Josh Gad, Isla Fisher. Definitely worth a try.

2 weeks later
#3331 3 months ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Just watched the first episode of A Murder at the End of the World on Hulu. It’s by the makers of The OA. Has a cool vibe to it, and I’m interested enough to see where it goes.

This did not stick the landing IMO.

#3337 3 months ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Crap, I didn't want to hear that - I saved the last episode on purpose. The OA also had kind of a questionable ending, although that may be because it was cancelled early - but streaming is all about getting eyeballs on the first 1-3 episodes

Well, you may feel differently, but I was let down by the whole thing despite the early promise.

#3343 3 months ago

New 3 Body Problem (Netflix) trailer dropped today. I’m very excited for this, having read the first two books and currently reading the third in the series. Really, really cool conceptual sci-fi. Hoping the show does the books justice. Keep your eyes on this.

#3345 3 months ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Finally .. they’ve been teasing this for what seems like years

Of course, it’s by the team that did Game of Thrones. So, whether they don’t mess up the books remains to be seen. But, this could be great.

#3353 3 months ago
Quoted from feedthebiscuit:

There is a Chinese version with subtitles that is on Amazon prime right now. Like the book, it’s a slow burn but 10 episodes in - it’s really good.

Quoted from Zablon:

You can watch it for free on Youtube as well.

I was thinking about trying that but will likely just wait for the Netflix version. I still have to get through the third book as well.

#3355 3 months ago
Quoted from Zablon:

It only covers the first book, but it covers it almost completely with a few character changes(combined) is what I understand. I do hope they do the other 2 books, but probably wouldn't be for some time. I've found I have a hard time reading hard sci fi so haven't even tried the books.

The books are great concept sci-fi. I thought the second book was more interesting and literary than the first. The first had a great beginning, dragged in the middle, and had a great ending with an unbelievable concept that brought the whole thing together. So far, I’m really enjoying the third as well with a very intriguing beginning. All three books have different central characters and move somewhat through time, with the third book starting to overlap the time periods of the first two.

1 month later
#3516 59 days ago
Quoted from romulusx:

I gut roped into The Affair a Showtime series now on Prime.It’s run was 5 seasons and you could see the changing mindset of the country thru the years.Starts strong and sometimes becomes a stretch series but has a good finish.

The first season in particular was brilliant. I agree that it gets a little uneven after that but still a good view.

#3520 58 days ago
Quoted from romulusx:

What did you think of the ending?

It’s been a while so I don’t remember that well. I think I was kind of neutral about it. I just thought the concept of the show, which was beautifully executed in the first season as well as the second though to a lesser degree, then kind of fizzled. I felt they had a great concept when they started the show but didn’t think through what they wanted to do with it.

1 week later
#3560 47 days ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

New 3 Body Problem (Netflix) trailer dropped today. I’m very excited for this, having read the first two books and currently reading the third in the series. Really, really cool conceptual sci-fi. Hoping the show does the books justice. Keep your eyes on this.

I just finished the third book in the “Remembrance of Earths Past” series (aka 3 Body Problem). The first two books were great. The third book was utterly amazing. I know the series likely just focuses on the first book for season 1. I’m having trouble figuring out how the third book can translate to the screen.

#3563 47 days ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Any interest in the Chinese adaptation? I've been putting that off but I may break down and watch a few episodes

I’m probably going to wait to give the Netflix series a try considering how close we are to release.

2 weeks later
#3630 28 days ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Don't know, but the meat of the story really gets going in the second book.

And the third book then launches from that at a very rapid pace. I’m not even sure the third book is legitimately filmable. It would certainly be interesting to see how they handle the physics.

I’ve heard there’s characters from all three books in the Netflix series even though the books largely focus on different characters. The series is probably going to progress more chronologically than the books.

#3638 28 days ago
Quoted from Zablon:

surely netflix isn't trying to cram all 3 books into one series....that would...be bad. That being said the Chinese version was thorough to the point of being redundant.

Certainly not into one season, but they may be running all three books simultaneously.

#3657 27 days ago

As to 3 Body Problem, FWIW, a YouTuber who goes by Quinn’s Ideas who had raved about the book series and done several videos about it, says the Netflix series comes pretty close to the books and adds a bit more character development. He notes that the first season touches on events in all three books which may throw people off who have only read the first book.

In any case,I look forward to watching it next week when I’m back from vacation.

1 week later
#3678 15 days ago

Just finished Mr and Mrs Smith (Amazon Prime). I liked it. It’s not for everyone. Very different feel than the movie. I got more into the feel of the show as the season went on. The last episode in particular was a lot of fun. I do hope there’s a second season.

#3681 14 days ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

100% agree with all of this. WAY WAY WAAAAAAY more interesting than the movie. The locations (that beach house in Italy!) are amazing. I didn't really get into it until the 3rd episode or so. Was hoping for more of a techno-thriller initially, but it swerved and went in a good direction.

Agreed. Donald Glover kind of put his signature touch on this. If you are looking for a thriller / action feel like John Wick or Mission Impossible, this is not that. But, it's still pretty cool and unique.

#3714 9 days ago
Quoted from gweempose:

It was pretty good, although I thought The Haunting of Hill House was a lot better.

My favorite of his series was Midnight Mass, though I may be in the minority on that one. Hill House was a close second.

#3753 5 days ago

I finally finished Mrs Davis on Peacock. I thought it was really enjoyable. Very wacky, kind of reminded me of a less violent and more optimistic version of Preacher. It had a similar sort of vibe.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Nokoro.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/im-trying-to-find-a-new-tv-series-to-watch?tu=Nokoro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.