Screenshot 2024-03-21 at 16-45-23 3 Body Problem (2024) (resized).png
s-l1600aaa (resized).jpg
2222 (resized).jpg
s-l960 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
download (1) (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider John_I.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#626 4 years ago

Two from left field.

Kung Fu. Yes, the original Kung Fu from the early 70's. Every episode in 1080p on Amazon. Gotta love those old shows like this for recording on actual film. All these years later we can enjoy them like it was the first time on 70 inch TV. Sure there are a few scratches here and there but it looks great. I forgot how good these were aside from the fighting scenes. Also, tons of great guest stars like Gary Busy, Jodie Foster, etc.

Quark Science. This is one of the best science shows I've seen. The narrator can describe the theory of relativity in such simple terms a 10th grader can grasp it.

6 months later
#711 4 years ago

Peaky Blinders is awesome.

I really liked the Mandalorian.

Mrs Maisel is so well done beautifully produced that even if its not your type of show, you should give it a try. It is funny as hell at times.

His Dark Materials is dreadfully bad. Worst HBO show ever? Definitely in the running with the Leftovers and John From Cincinnati for that title.

Watchmen is pretty unwatchable too. Ugh is it bad.

The Boys was great.

Season 4 of the Expanse was pretty good. Would be so much better if that fuckin old woman with the gravely voice would just die and go away.

Silicon Valley is a classic. Even the final season was not bad.

Deadwood is a classic, just watched it through again before the movie came out.

Homeland is a great show and worth catching up on before the last season next spring.

Ray Donovan is also a really good show. Not the most cheerful show on earth but very well done look at an effed up family with great acting.

Mr Robot from AMC was also a really well done show with some mind blowing twists.

Luther is a cool British cop show with some fun characters.

Barry is a really funny show with Bill Hader and Henry Winkler. I laugh out loud at every episode.

Sneaky Pete is just ok. Nothing special but not bad either.

Chernobyl was a mini series that everyone should see.

Get Shorty is a funny show from Epix that is not well known, but there are three seasons and it is really well written and produced.

Carnival Row was meh. Somewhat enjoyable but also some really stupid parts.

Stranger Things is a darn good show if not over analyzed. Its good clean spooky fun.

#714 4 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

We clearly have very different tastes. I thoroughly enjoyed His Dark Materials, and I think The Leftovers is one of the best shows in the history of TV.

Wow! Just like pinball; to each their own. I wish I had every second of my life back that I spent on the Leftovers. I only kept watching it because one of my best friends kept saying how great it was despite the ratings. It was his favorite show ever.

#722 4 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

There is so much good stuff out there. Production values are high on everything.
It's a bit of a magic era for us viewers...

That's why good movies are so few and far between these days compared to even five years ago. The writing and production talent is all in TV shows.

1 month later
#748 4 years ago

Anyone trying to find a new TV show who has not seen The Wire needs to stop and watch all five seasons. When it comes right down to it, this may be the greatest TV show ever.

1 month later
#754 4 years ago

Tried to watch Hunters on Amazon and just couldn't get into it and gave up after two episodes. Its really goofy grindhouse style Nazi hunters in a sort of Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter kind of way.

ZeroZeroZero was good, but really brutal and not a very cheerful plot. This is also on Amazon.

While I'm on Amazon, I see there is a new season of Bosch coming next month. That is a really good show that already has five seasons if you need a binge.

1 month later
#788 3 years ago

If you are going back to the 70's, its gotta be Rockford Files...

5 months later
#904 3 years ago

I just watched season 2 of Britannia and it was pretty good. This show is sort of Sky/Amazon's Game of Thrones in a way with a little more humor and quirky British dialog.

The Wire is still the best show ever and if you haven't seen Peaky Blinders yet, not sure what you are waiting on. Peaky Blinders is worth watching just for the slow motion crew walks haha.

1 month later
#952 3 years ago
Quoted from jitneystand1:

Mad Dogs on Amazon has been a wild ride so far (I'm 7 episodes in and loving it)

I liked Mad Dogs. It's a comedy adventure drama. As long as you don't take it too seriously it is a lot of fun. The main characters are really developed and acted well. You feel like you know them.

Recently I bought Motor Trend TV for $5 a month through Amazon Streaming. This was well worth it. Before streaming, I used to love watching Motor Trend when there was nothing else on, but the commercials are unbearable. Having these shows with no ads is awesome. There are a few shows I never heard of that I don't think make it to cable. It's also great stuff for running in the background while I'm working from home.

Two of my favorite Motor Trend TV shows are Wheeler Dealers and Dirt: Every Day. This type of show is all about fun and happiness in a great past time. No politics or news or fighting. It is a great way to unplug (pun intended).

1 week later
#972 3 years ago

Ugh, I thought Truth Seekers was really bad. I gave it a few episodes and gave up.

I see there is a new season of The Expanse available. Will probably watch that with relatives over the Holidays. The Mandalorian was really good. For those who mentioned Mind Hunters, that was also really good.

Funny I heard For All Mankind totally sucks and The Right Stuff was great. Opposite of what I read above. To each their own I guess. I plan to give the Right Stuff a chance.

A great binge show would be Boardwalk Empire for anyone who hasn't seen it. It ended a few years ago so nothing to wait for! Also, Homeland is an all time favorite of mine. All eight seasons are in the can and ready for binging.

3 weeks later
#997 3 years ago
Quoted from Gunnut40:

Yellowstone is good one. It’s like a redneck sopranos.

Please don't confuse country with redneck.

#1005 3 years ago
Quoted from mtn-:

Rumours has it it will be back on Disney+. I think they own most of the Marvel stuff now.

Yeah they have the Marvel stuff. Hopefully if they do any Marvel shows, they will be complete reboots from what was on Netflix. Aside from a couple of seasons, most of the Marvel series on Netflix were simply awful. For instance the first season of Jessica Jones was really good and the second season was possibly the worst TV show I have ever seen. Punisher was ok but Iron Fist was really bad. A big part of that is having 13 one hour episodes in a season to fill. To me Disney got it right in the Mandalorian by keeping the episodes short and only eight per season. This keeps things fresh and moving and the plot on point.

#1009 3 years ago

Amazon has been releasing their shows more slowly recently. Both the Boys and the Expanse have been released on a weekly basis. I'm guessing this is due to the slow down in production of shows because of covid-19.

1 week later
#1042 3 years ago

I see Dexter is coming back for another season. Hopefully it's good. The original run was really good in general and produced one of the greatest lines ever on TV: "Pardon my tits!"

#1046 3 years ago

The new season of the Expanse has been disappointing. Not as well done as the first four seasons and not enough science fiction stuff. Too much soap opera with Naomi and her "family" and not nearly enough of the other sub plots. After hearing her cry and whimper through the last couple of episodes, I have found myself hoping she just dies sooner than later. They killed off Karl on TWD... Hopefully they get a new show runner for next season too.

1 month later
#1094 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Banshee is a fun show. Some of those fight sequences are insane!

Yeah I've watched Banshee all the way through twice. Once while they were originally airing and again last year. It is a lot of fun. Some great action and as you pointed out, some of the best fighting scenes ever. There was a particular fight, that I consider possibly the best TV show fight ever. So you know the one I'm talking about without spoiling it for others, it starts with a surprise tomahawk to the chest.

4 months later
#1118 2 years ago

Getting a little desperate for shows because of the Covid slowdown, so tried a couple:

Animal Kingdom. This is actually a pretty good show with characters that are all good, except "Smurf" is just ok. I enjoyed it for what it is and Season 5 is just starting.

War of the Worlds (EPIX). This show is incredibly bad. Simply awful. It's poorly done science fiction and another Walking Dead post apocalypse wanna be. Very little actual science fiction plot and a lot of stupid characters, subplots and corny dialog that is truly meaningless.

2 months later
#1183 2 years ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

Animal Kingdom is good 3 or 4 years

Animal Kingdom is good and definitely worth a try for at least the first few seasons. I really dislike the overload of flashbacks this season though. The flashback scenes like a totally different show about the old days that I can't imagine appealing to the main audience; considering this is a modern style crime drama. Also the actress who plays the young Smurf is terrible. Great to look at, but terrible none the less. Basically this whole season I've fast forwarded over 1/3 of each episode to skip the stupid flashbacks which add absolutely nothing to the show.

Quoted from Jamesays:

Vikings was great for several years if you havent seen it its worth a binge.

Agreed!!

2 weeks later
#1185 2 years ago

I watched Weeds when it first came out and have been going through them again for the last couple of weeks. I had forgotten that there were 8 seasons; looking back it seemed like there were only 4 or maybe 5. Now I realize why I had forgotten the last few seasons: they suck. I mean they really suck. Weeds was actually pretty good for the first 3 or 4 seasons and is insanely, repugnantly, dreadfully bad in the last four seasons. So if you watch it, seriously consider putting it down after the first four seasons.

3 weeks later
#1227 2 years ago

Are most people watching the dubbed or subtitled version of Squid Games?

2 weeks later
#1241 2 years ago

I've been getting a lot of mileage out of having Discovery plus and Motortrend TV attached to my Amazon app. Both channels are unbearable on cable because the commercials are so long and repetitive and make me want to smash my TV after an hour or two. Having these channels commercial free without having to record on a DVR is the only way to go.

Just watched The Boys again. Such a great show!! Can't wait for season 3.

1 week later
#1253 2 years ago

The new season of Narcos is pretty good. Over the years this show if anything has gotten better in production value. I wish there weren't so many subtitles to read, but I understand the need for a mix of English and Spanish in this case. Without spoiling things, they are definitely set up for at least one more season.

1 month later
#1265 2 years ago

Gangs of London is pretty darn good. There is a good plot and characters, but in particular this show stands out above the crowd for the INTENSE fighting and gun fighting scenes. They are brutal to say the least. These scenes are really choreographed amazingly well and don't include any stupid looking wire stunts or over the top fighting styles. Realistic as well as brutal!

3 weeks later
#1320 2 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

One of the worst shows ever made. Just incredibly stupid and boring. The leftovers was was complete garbage.

Agreed. I wish I had every second of my life back that I wasted on that show.

#1329 2 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

I thought it was going to be compelling too. I kept waiting for it to be. Felt the same way about “John From Cincinnati”.

Haha, John From Cincinnati was horrendous despite having the great Luis Guzman in the cast. Worst three shows ever from HBO: John From Cincinnati, The Leftovers and His Dark Materials.

#1340 2 years ago
Quoted from PinlordMarc:

The Expanse on Amazon Prime is a great show if you love sci-fi. I'm a big fan overall and love how much diversity and inclusion the cast has -- even though the captain is predictably a white cis male.

Troll much? And yes, the Expanse started out really good. After switching to Amazon after the third season it has really gone down hill. This newest season is plain bad. The best characters are dead or get little screen time. There is little or no science fiction and lots of family soap opera.

1 week later
#1361 2 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

Just finished The Expanse (series finale). What a great show. I rank this in top 5, Breaking Bad being the top.

Yeah I just noticed that it was the series finale. Interesting because of the little subplot at the beginning of each episode this season was definitely setting up something for the future. There must be spin offs coming. Good thing because I had grown to dislike the direction the show had gone for the last 3 seasons. At least they pulled off a decent final two episodes. The last episode was one of the best of the whole series. Overall the show was definitely not top 5 for me though. Maybe top 40.

1 week later
#1410 2 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Seal Team has been a great show.
It's now moved over to Paramount +[quoted image]

Seal Team is excellent. Fingers crossed it gets renewed for another season. Right now it is still not certain if it will.

I see there is a new Season of Britannia on Epix. The first two season were very enjoyable for me.

1 month later
#1457 2 years ago

Season 6, Episode 1 of Peaky fookin' Blinders is out!!

2 months later
#1608 1 year ago

The Offer is pretty good so far, but not great. I'm a big Godfather fan, so worth watching.

New season of Better Call Saul has been great as expected. Will be sorry to see this one end!

After falling asleep in every episode and shaking my head at so many cringe worthy stupid or poorly acted scenes, I'm just going to say it: Outer Range sucks. I wanted to like it, but it is just simply bad.

Was surprised by liking The Outlaws. I gave it a try because it had Christopher Walken, but it really didn't look like something I would like. Next thing you know, I had watched the whole season and liked it!!

1 month later
#1749 1 year ago

The new season of Barry was excellent. I really wish the episodes were longer or they had more of them!

2 months later
#1860 1 year ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

I thought the last episode was really good personally.

From an entertainment standpoint the last four episodes were simply dreadful compared to the rest of the final season. That said, these episodes did wrap the show up and answer most or all of the questions and also nicely wrapped up the Breaking Bad universe at the same time.

#1870 1 year ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Maybe they can do a Better Call Saul movie where he gets his conviction thrown out based on lawyer incompetence or a temporary insanity defense.

The chanting on the bus and other scenes basically showed him to be where he belongs. As a resident jailhouse criminal lawyer he will literally be the king by helping others and scamming the system. He will be untouchable because everyone will want his help and advice.

1 week later
#2021 1 year ago

First two episodes of the Rings of Power... The cinematography is second to none. Visually it feels like a movie and not a TV show. The overall story seems good but not great from what is being revealed. The characters, dialog and character interaction is not the greatest and has me a little worried. Hard to explain, but I guess I'm missing that kick ass character like Gandolf from the original series. Aside from the dwarf princess, characters seem a little more cliche than likeable. Oh well I guess knowing it cost close to a billion dollars, I was expecting more. Cost aside, it's not bad. I'll continue to watch and will probably enjoy it a lot more now that my expectations have been lowered.

Personally I enjoyed the House of Dragon series more than Rings so far. It has great new characters and totally makes me feel like a whole new GoT starting over without missing a stride.

It's just cool to have two shows that are so epic running at the same time now.

#2036 1 year ago

Wow! Add The Flight Attendant to my list of worst HBO shows ever. This might be one of the worst shows ever from any network.

#2099 1 year ago
Quoted from EternitytoM83:

Another vote for The Expanse, if you like harder sci-fi.

It was a good show that went downhill the last couple of seasons. It went from a lot of science fiction to a little science fiction and a heavy dose of space-based soap opera. Also, the best characters were the supporting cast and people who died off. The worst on the show unfortunately were the two main characters. Both of them were poorly cast, scripted and acted.

Speaking of poor script and story, I'm losing interest in the Rings of Power quickly after episode 3. I fell asleep three times and had to rewind. This needs to pick up soon or it could be the most expensive TV bust in history.

3 weeks later
#2194 1 year ago

OK was looking for stuff to watch and took a shot at a couple of shows over the last month.

First was Halt and Catch Fire. (This was on Amazon as part of my AMC subscription.) I ended up liking this more and more as I worked my way through the seasons. It captured a time in the early days of computers and dawn of the internet that were a big part of my life. I wasn't expecting it to be so good though. The characters were really good and I could identify with a lot of them. I would definitely recommend this one especially if you were using computers in the early days like me. I had GEnie account in 1984 on my Atari 800 computer with 1200 baud modem.

Station Eleven. This is a limited series on HBO Max. Most likely will only be one season. Has Mackenzie Davis who was also in Halt and Catch Fire. This is post virus/plague apocalypse drama that I was not expecting to like. The post apocalypse concept has been over done and spoiled for me by absolutely horrendous shows like the War of the Worlds and recent seasons of TWD. So I went in not expecting much and got sucked right in by the clever writing and plot. Without spoiling things the plot is easy to follow, yet follows a lot of interwoven subplots all tied together in a unique way. So I recommend this one too (and not War of the Worlds LOL)

2 weeks later
#2216 1 year ago

Wow. Just watched the season one finale and I'm not sure what to say about The Rings of Power season one? Without spoiling anything from the finale, I will just say that based on the build up to this show, the previous LOTR movies and the amount of money spent making this show, you might be able to enjoy it a whole lot more if you don't set your expectations too high based on those things... Set them to the lowest possible level as far as the plot, dialog, directing, characters and acting goes. Other than that the cinematography is stunningly beautiful in places if that helps. So go in expecting a beautifully shot Disney Channel made for TV movie and you will probably enjoy it more. They say there will be five seasons, so as a fan of the LOTR universe I will continue to watch and hope it develops and gets better as it goes.

1 month later
#2289 1 year ago

The English on Amazon/BBC is a surprisingly good Western series. This is apparently a limited series with single 6 episode season.

8 months later
#2897 9 months ago

Hard to believe anyone could recommend White Lotus. I've seen it pushed on Max and finally gave it a try. This is up there with the worst shows I have ever seen. Characters, plot, dialog and acting are all ghastly.

Last of Us is also dreadful. I wanted to like the Peripheral, but it just doesn't click with me. The new Negan/Maggie Walking Dead show is no surprise downright awful.

Shows I do recommend:
True Detective Season 1. Seriously if you haven't seen it, just do it.
Barry. All seasons. Just a great show, so funny.
Reacher. This show is fun to watch. Much better than the movies.
Jack Ryan. Final season just wrapped up. Good solid show.
Terminal List is good action fun.
Outlaws. Watched it for Christopher Walken and ended up liking it!
Bosch. Even the new watered down cast Bosch Legacy show is good.

#2901 9 months ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I just finished Reacher and I have to say the other shows on your list were IMO far more interesting. It started out great (100% agree superior to the movie) but then started reminding me of Banshee - pretty good but basically standard syndicated action show stuff.

OK this explains things a bit. I loved Banshee and watched the whole series over again not too long ago! Shows that I describe as fun are something that is a guilty pleasure sort of thing for me. Sometimes I don't want super serious plot or something that will be emotional when I just want to relax and watch TV. So these are not shows that will win many awards and I can understand others wanting a little more out of it.

Speaking of emotional. I know its a movie and not a TV show, but I watched The World According to Garp for the first time in at least 20 years the other day. What a great movie. Robin Williams at his best. Something about that movie brings out the full range of emotions in me when I am watching it. Classic John Lithgow movie too.

#2920 9 months ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Man, you are definitely in the minority on those two shows, especially The Last of Us, which is at 96% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes.

I did struggle through the whole season of Last of Us because I am a sucker for apocalypse shows and I really like Pedro Pascal. As good as he is and a few good moments along the way, that girl lead and really bad non recurring characters just spoiled the show. Yeah she was good in Game of Thrones but ugh was this character bad. That is the beauty of how many shows are available streaming these days going back decades. What 96% of people on rotten tomatoes think is good is plain bad to me. For White Lotus, there is no hope for me. I can't imagine going past the two episodes I watched. I put it up there with John From Cincinnati, Leftovers and His Dark Materials as a truly repugnantly bad HBO shows.

TV is sort of like pinball. To each their own. There are games I love that others don't and vice versa.

#2930 8 months ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

The ratings are really high - but I suspect it’s mostly for Bob Odenkirk and not the writing. I made it through 2 episodes; those ratings on RT are rarely too far off, but you may just need to dive in and decide.

Quoted from poppapin:

It was strange and quirky, only watched it for Bob Odenkirk. Hope there's not a season 2.

Yeah I am right there. Bob Odenkirk is really good in this show, but the show itself is just OK. I watched the whole season and fell asleep a few times, but kind of enjoyed about half of it. I also hope there is not a second season and he moves on for something better.

1 month later
#3046 7 months ago

I'm not sure any Western TV show will ever match Deadwood, but Hell on Wheels is certainly a great show for all five seasons.

5 months later
#3451 83 days ago

Homeland was a great show. Just worked my way back through it. Definitely not a cheerful experience, but so well written and acted.

I was really looking forward to Reacher season 2 and ended up being disappointed. It just didn't click the way season one did. Even a mindless romp needs good characters and writing. I wonder if this show was affected by the writer's strike?

#3458 83 days ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Best thing I have seen in a long time. Watching twice was not enough.

Fargo Season 5

Yeah it was pretty darn good. They almost redeemed themselves for the travesty that was season 4. Whoa was that bad! Fortunately each season gets to start with a semi blank slate.

#3472 82 days ago

Ugh. I decided to watch the first two episodes of the new season of True Detective. I probably should have gone in expecting less, but my hopes were high because of how well done the previous seasons were (especially Season 1) and Jodie Foster being the star of this season. Hopefully its just me... These episodes are astonishingly bad. No redeeming value whatsoever. Be forewarned to go in with expectations at rock bottom and you might enjoy it more than me.

#3507 80 days ago

Glad I watched the show before she became infamous. It was pretty good, but I won't be watching it again.

1 month later
#3578 37 days ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Big Walton Goggins fan and this looks like a great role for him.

I love that guy too. Will give the show a try!

#3592 33 days ago

As horrendous as the Walking Dead became years ago, I dared to hope that the new spinoff "The Ones Who Lived" with Rick and Michonne returning might actually be ok. Boy was I wrong. Ugh. First three episodes were so bad I was looking out the window to make sure no one was looking it and seeing me watching it... I did kind of enjoy that Daryl Dixon spinoff but can't say it was great either.

3 weeks later
#3680 12 days ago

Tokyo Vice is definitely worth a try. It's on Max. I really enjoyed it. Probably the only negative is there are a lot of subtitles, but its about an American guy in Japan so that is to be expected. At least there was a decent amount of English too. The second season just ended last night. Don't let the title fool you, it is not a Miami Vice spinoff.

1 week later
#3734 5 days ago
Quoted from skink91:

And speaking of Mr. Goggins… I just finished Fallout. They did a great job with it.

Walton Goggins is a great actor and perfect for the role and fallout is definitely entertaining so far after two episodes. I started watching Fallout after giving up on Mr and Mrs Smith. I don't give up on shows very often once I've seen the first few episodes. Its not terrible, but it is also not good and filled with cringe worthy bad dialog. Maybe something to do with the writer's strike?

Speaking of terrible. True Detective season 4. I finished the whole season just because I really like Jodie Foster and figured it had to get better after the first few episodes. It didn't. It did the impossible and continued to get worse and finished with no redeeming value whatsoever. It is in my top 5 worst TV shows ever.

#3747 4 days ago

Walton Goggins is in the Righteous Gemstones on Max. Not the greatest show I've seen, but it has a great cast and some funny moments. Goggins' character is my favorite.

#3752 3 days ago

Haha I just realized what your avatar picture is!!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider John_I.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/im-trying-to-find-a-new-tv-series-to-watch?tu=John_I and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.