• 3,829 posts
  • 437 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 19 hours ago by jrcmlc
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

nick foot (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-23 at 20-55-22 Nose Boy Is Yet Another Bit From Dan Schneider That Seems Inappropriate Now (resized).png
IMG_2115 (resized).png
we-are-lady-parts-peacock-poster (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
5675773ab24117888a271de4334cd519 (resized).jpg
download.jpeg
Fallout (resized).jpg
IMG_1903 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0049 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6661.gif
2006-The-Departed-03-2254582836 (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-03-21 at 16-45-23 3 Body Problem (2024) (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DanQverymuch.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#61 7 years ago

Great shows not mentioned yet:

Silicon Valley
Peaky Blinders
Nurse Jackie
Orange is the New Black

If it looked like you were into full-blown comedies I'd have a bunch more suggestions!

#182 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballerchef:

That's a good one!!!! Even though I enjoy OITNB.....the Wentworth series blows it away!!!

Just watched the first episode, and I like it, but I don't think one can compare them, since it's a straight drama, while OITNB is a dramedy.

It's Australian, and I had to turn on closed captioning to understand everything they were saying. Educational, too, now I know what a "gobby" is!

3 years later
#771 4 years ago

Having not visited this thread in quite a while, I have a couple new suggestions that haven't been mentioned, both on Hulu:

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency. Everyone should see this crazy show! It's not new and I was surprised no one has brought it up.

DEVS. Nick Offerman makes up for the lead female's trancelike acting and the show's intriguing but ultimately nonsensical premise. This one came out just recently.

#773 4 years ago

Love this Netflix series, but it's "Ozark," singular. Finishing season 3 made me want to rewatch all three seasons.

1 year later
#1396 2 years ago

"Nobody" starring Bob Odenkirk landed on HBO this month. Loved it!

Not surprising, love Bob! Anyone who hasn't watched Better Call Saul is in for a treat. Multiple treats, Rhea Seahorn is wonderful. Final season 6 soon, only 4 on Netflix but they have been adding the previous season when a new one comes out.

I searched and Preacher hasn't been mentioned in a couple years. Crazy fun! (I say "shite" more often than the normal way now.)

Watched Manifest, even after it got way too silly and exceeded my suspension of disbelief limit, I won't spoil it as to why, but: as if! I'll watch season 4 but man, there's unbelievable and then there’s stupid.

#1406 2 years ago

I mentioned this a while back buried in a longer post, but it deserves its own spotlight for sure:

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency

It's on Hulu (from BBC America), and there are only two seasons, but it is insane and a blast to put it lightly. If you like shows that make you say "WTF?" you will enjoy the hell out of it. Based on the novel by Douglas Adams of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy fame. 85% on Rotten Tomatoes.

It stars Elijah Wood, and so I will dilute said spotlight by mentioning another great show he is in that I notice no one has mentioned and is more of a sitcom: Wilfred, also on Hulu (from FX). To everyone else, his neighbor's dog is a dog, but to him, Wilfred is a sarcastic Australian guy in a cheap dog costume. Hilarity ensues.

Huh, how about that, both shows revolve around a dog...

1 week later
#1417 2 years ago

Another thumbs up to Archive 81 on Netflix. Binged that sucker, despite my usual distaste for supernatural nonsense.

Maybe my sharing the protagonist's first name helped.

Now, I wonder where my PXL2000 got tucked away...

1 month later
#1508 2 years ago

Does anyone else chuckle every time they see the thread title? "Trying to find" sounds like having difficulty doing so, despite all the choices available nowadays, and I can't help comparing it to when I was growing up with just the three big networks and PBS, with no VCRs, DVDs, etc. If you wanted to see a show, you had to be in front of the TV when it was on.

When I was around ten years old, we would resort to turning the roof antenna to pick up Milwaukee's public station when they showed Monty Python's Flying Circus (which was far too risqué for the Green Bay affiliate to broadcast), and a few times we recorded the audio on a low tech portable cassette recorder via condenser mic. Which meant it would also pick up our laughter! Now, when I watch those episodes, I remember wondering what was happening during extended visual gags while we listened to those tapes, as the show was far too bizarre and disjointed to remember everything from one viewing.

If you never watched MPFC, give it a try now! It's on Netflix. There's a reason Rolling Stone named it the best comedy sketch show ever. It's enlightening to watch with the closed captions on, even though I can usually decipher their British accents, as it helps me understand old British idioms and pop culture references that flew right over my head previously. Funny, a lot of the European history I know was from looking up things that they referenced.

#1515 2 years ago

Why, yes, there are at least that many bad shows!

(But I do have the show called that in my queue!)

1 month later
#1587 1 year ago
Quoted from shimmydisc:

Watching Barry (HBO) again since the first time it aired. Really good, can’t wait for season 3

Yo, season 3 just started on Sunday! But I was lost, think I'm going to rewatch the first two.

#1601 1 year ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Stath Lets Flats
We watched the first two episodes last night and were cracking up at the cringe comedy. Lead character is a realtor and reminds me very much of Ricky Gervais’ character in the original Office.
I think it’s on HBO Max and there’s 3 seasons or 6-8 episodes each.

Hope a Realtor(R) doesn't see that and give you a lecture! Stath is actually a leasing agent. The term "to let" meaning to lease out has fallen into disfavor in the states, but apparently not in Britain, and of course "flat" means apartment. Being a leasing agent means spending time in the office, more than a real estate agent generally does, so that helps the plots along and gives those parts a "The Office" vibe more than a show about a lone real estate agent might.

But mainly I'm commenting to laud the inclusion in the cast of the main character's real-life sister, Natasia Demetriou of What We Do In The Shadows fame. I find her to be a delight, in this show especially.

The reviews complain about it getting repetitive, but that's part of the fun of cringe comedy, how the protagonist never learns.

2 weeks later
#1641 1 year ago

If you like deadpan comedy and music, I notice that one of my favorite shows has never been mentioned here:

Flight of the Conchords

On HBOmax. Sublimely silly and understated, FOTC follows the adventures of two down-on-their-luck parody folk singers from New Zealand, who are making a go of it in the Big Apple.

I've seen it so many times, I now just let it run as background noise while I'm putzing around the house, and it still makes me laugh. It would do my heart good to turn others on to it, especially if they wind up liking it anything like I do.

#1645 1 year ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I do dig this song because it's very pet shop boys:

Hilariously, I knew the Conchords thing before I ever heard that Pet Shop Boys song! When I finally did, I was all "so that's what they're parodying!"

(There was a long period when I didn't listen to the radio at all.)

Quoted from northerndude:

If you want fucked up Canadian humour and you've seen "Letterkenny" - Watch "Shoresy" -holy shit it's funny. it's a character spin-off

Doesn’t premier on Hulu until the 27th; was it already on a Canadian network? At any rate I can't wait! Give your balls a tug!

#1648 1 year ago

Have you seen the trailers they released already??

Just the short one on Hulu. Maybe I should check YouTube?

1 week later
#1672 1 year ago

This new season is one of the best for sure, they've gone dark (I like it) , the kids are in high school, and I think it's a total hit.

Sounds like I need to revisit Stranger Things and continue where I left off in season 2!

Also, any Milly Bobby Brown fans will find her movie Enola Holmes on Netfix to be enchanting, with her playing Sherlock's little sister. There's a sequel on the way, too.

2 weeks later
#1752 1 year ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Getting ready for The Old Man

Liking it so far! Looks like the dudes who are after him should have gotten ready for him, too!

1 week later
#1766 1 year ago

I kind of wish I had waited to start "The Old Man" until the whole season was bingeable. I'm not used to waiting around a week for a new episode anymore.

Finally finished "The Handmaid's Tale"... I guess now I can just watch the news in lieu of a new season.

#1784 1 year ago

No one is watching Dark Winds on AMC?

Yeah, the title sounds like a Dean Koontz book title, but I'm digging it so far. With Robert Redford and George R. R. Martin among the Executive Producers, it's visually stunning, and the story so far is intriguing enough. Another one I wish I could binge right away.

I also thought Under the Banner of Heaven was a good watch, and it's bingeable at this point. I was surprised neither of these shows had been mentioned previously here.

On a lighter note, season two of Only Murders in the Building has dropped on Hulu.

#1785 1 year ago

OMG, you did Preacher? I know it's weird, and got real weird (well the books are also!) But one of my fav's!!!!

Preach! I love Preacher! I generally pass on shoot-em-ups, but Preacher goes hyper-violent and becomes a parody of violence. And the rest of the time it is indeed very weird, not to mention irreverent. Rewatched the whole series recently, and I even play the soundtrack on Spotify from time to time.

3 weeks later
#1827 1 year ago
Quoted from MotorCityMatt:

Finished 3 seasons of the The Umbrella Academy on Netflix.

Spoiler alert!

I enjoyed the series, but all the bitching kinda had me not caring if the world was about to end!

3 weeks later
#1852 1 year ago

Is he? Maybe getting The Late Show swelled his head?

1 week later
#1864 1 year ago

I wouldn't get too worked up about the lone "comedy" show for conservatives' ratings, when it's the only choice there for them. The other shows all have to share the opposite audience.

#1881 1 year ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

So he’s captured that Jay Leno energy! People loved that guy …

I was mystified to hear recently how other comics love the crap out of Leno. Maybe you had to be there, back in the day.

Quoted from MtnFrost:

Update - took a look at the one mentioned. Horribly unfunny and bland.

Perfect for those with no sense of humor!

#1930 1 year ago

Is my memory faulty? To my recollection, I bailed on Orville after one or two episodes because I couldn't take the captain saying corny things and everyone around him deadpanningly ignoring it. It really got that much better?

1 week later
#2014 1 year ago

Was liking "Sprung" until being force fed commercials. I generally haven't watched those since I got my first TiVo in 1998, and I'm not going back now.

No one has mentioned Inside Job on Netflix? Very funny sci-fi animated series for adults. I recommend it.

#2049 1 year ago

Just a thought: it might be nice, when naming a show, if we all could specify which service carries the show.

Sucks to have to look it up, especially if you find it's one you don't have!

#2059 1 year ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

you can google search a tv show - click on watch show - and it will list all the streaming services

No kidding. STILL, IT WOULD BE NICE if the person mentioning the show would do that the one time for everyone else, if they're really so dense as to not know which service they watched it on to begin with.

I can't imagine why they wouldn't say which service, unless they take some perverse pleasure out of making everyone else do it dozens (hundreds?) of times in all, with many getting to find out that way that they don't have the service required to see it. Not nice.

#2078 1 year ago

<vitriol towards my little rant above omitted>

Whatever, didn't mean to sound abrasive.

I will continue to attempt to remember to mention what service a show is on when I bring it up, secure in the knowledge that it is the courteous thing to do. It's satisfying enough to know I saved dozens if not hundreds of Pinsiders the trouble, small as it may be.

Everyone can try and remember to follow this courtesy or not. No skin off my ass. I simply said it would be nice.

And at least I know no one is cursing me after looking up a show I mention on an unnamed service they don't have!

#2079 1 year ago
Quoted from Oscope:

The Sandman (Netflix 1S-11E) If you are not a fan of the comics I have serious doubts that you will really like this series.

Um, I never even knew the comics existed, and I pretty much loved it.

What you go on to say sounds more like "if you _are_ a fan of the comics..." ???

1 week later
#2121 1 year ago

I searched and didn't see the Hulu series Chance mentioned. Nice two season bingeworthy psychological crime thriller starring Hugh Laurie with a refreshing role for Ethan Suplee as a badass dude instead of a dumbass one (e.g. My Name is Earl). Mr. Suplee has chops I was not aware of!

#2123 1 year ago
Quoted from poppapin:

I think you mean Ethan Suplee, who played Randy. Jason Lee played Earl.

Correct, will edit. Thanks, I guess, but a PM would have prevented the embarrassment I'm sure you weren't after.

1 week later
#2143 1 year ago

Completely under my radar, a new show has appeared on Netflix called The Pentaverate.

I saw it in the banner menu and thought, hey, that guy looks kind of like Mike Myers. And it was him, in one of the many, many elaborate costumes for different characters he plays in the series. I am very impressed, and I'm just getting started.

If you like somewhat deadpan comedy and action, it will be right up your alley! Good for Mike, I was wondering what he'd been up to.

#2152 1 year ago

I liked OMITB a lot! Good to see charming, thoughtful humor again.

On an unrelated note:

I have a few aces up my sleeve if I ever run out of things to watch...

To this day I have not seen a single Lord of the Rings movie (and I read the books more than once, go figure), nor have I seen any Harry Potter movies (thinking I still want to read those books first).

I realize these are movies, not TV shows, but with a backlog like this I could binge them as though they were TV shows!

For that matter I haven't seen probably 95% of the movies on this list!:
https://www.businessinsider.com/greatest-movie-franchises-all-time-critics-2018-8

I figure mostly because I don't get anything from movies where the protagonists death-defyingly barely avoid being wiped out repeatedly for two hours. My brain won't go into idle that long, so it's all too much suspension of disbelief for me to have any fun.

I'd rather rewatch something like Wilfred, to be honest. A dog that appears to be a dog to everyone except one guy who sees a man in a dog suit, that I can believe!

#2153 1 year ago

Rolling Stone just published an updated Top 100 Best TV Shows of All Time list.

Not much I would disagree with except for some of the ordering. All great shows, the ones I've seen, anyway.

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-movies/tv-movie-lists/best-tv-shows-of-all-time-1234598313/

#2177 1 year ago

I'm trying to slog through the final season of TWD just because I somehow made it this far, even though I couldn't begin to explain the current storyline to save my life, and feel nothing of the emotional investment that I did earlier in the series. It all seems so repetitive at this point.

Maybe I just feel obligated as I have a TWD Premium which I love. Good thing I have TiVo, I have never felt so underwhelmed by a final season coming out and have no idea when I might be compelled to watch it.

#2188 1 year ago

The new Hulu comedy series Reboot is pretty funny so far. I like how it parodies the rebooting of a lame-ass family comedy of the sort I abhor. I see lots of potential to get even funnier. I'm only on ep 2, so we shall see. The show itself is definitely NOT family friendly!

1 month later
#2306 1 year ago

No one has mentioned, probably for good reason, one of my favorite alt comedies: Tropical Cop Tales

It was an Adult Swim show that came out in 2019 and was somehow not renewed for a second season, despite it having had what must have been a miniscule budget.

If you like the weird shit from director Jim Hosking such as The Greasy Strangler and An Evening With Beverly Luff Lynn, then you ought to like this series as well. Grown men running around in eye makeup, blouses and high heels; plenty of fake gore (they were told "no blood" so they use green goo instead); superfluous Shakespearean dialog; a police chief who always yells everything (except when he's singing); and much more (I'll stop since I'm starting to sound like SNL's Stefon listing reasons to visit New York's hottest club! )!

You have to watch it to believe it. It's included with HBO these days (as is most or all of Adult Swim's catalog). Anything you might do to get into a silly mood first will definitely help you enjoy it...

I even think it would make a great pinball theme, with lots of catch phrases and whatnot. It would be "de-luscious!"

2 weeks later
#2363 1 year ago
Quoted from pch3727:

I can't stand english dubs on a foreign show. The audio sync to the actors mouth is so distracting. Prevents me from enjoying the story.

Especially once you decide that this is the case. To try and get accustomed to it would require an effort...

Seriously, it's not that hard to train yourself to not pay attention to the actors' lips. Concentrate on the shot framing and all that crap.

Also, it's your mother tongue, so always remember to capitalize English!

Finished 1899 last night[quoted image]

Hmm, apparently the effort would be worth it! I'm going to give it another go myself.

4 weeks later
#2413 1 year ago

I just finished The Outsider (2020, HBO), a decent 10 part adaptation of the King novel, and it was enjoyable enough.

Funny thing is, 3 eps in I thought maybe I recognized some things that made me think I had watched it before, and now that it's over I am still not sure! That's kind of scary, and I don't mean the usual Stephen King sort of scary. I'm pretty sure I haven't read the book, either. It's only a couple years old, for cripes sakes. Maybe this one is just that forgettable?

If my memory is getting this bad, I guess I can look forward to rewatching a lot of stuff for the first time!

1 week later
#2425 1 year ago
Quoted from FamDocKevin:

Finally, I'm so surprised by how few of my friends have seen The IT Crowd. Debuted in 2006, but great comedy

Hilarious stuff! Cripes, it was already great, and then (slight spoiler alert) Matt Berry joined the cast!

It's also fun to identify and research the weird stuff on the shelves behind their desks. One led me to this crazy, bizarre video:

1 month later
#2464 1 year ago

Found a hidden gem on Prime: Garth Marenghi's Darkplace (2004)

If you like campy, so-bad-it's-good humor, give this a look. Features Matt Berry (WWDITS) and Richard Ayoade, who later appear together in The IT Crowd. Funny stuff! Only six episodes though...

Stoopernatural goings on in a cheesy hospital, what a setup! And episode 1 has a pinball in the background in their break room, so I'm off to include it in that thread as well!

#2467 1 year ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Black Hole in the break room on the obscure but hilarious Garth Marenghi's Darkplace S1E1 on Amazon Prime.
[quoted image]

#2474 1 year ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

I really enjoyed Wednesday but agree with you on the Gomez character choice. It just didn't work for me.
Chris

Dude does resemble Gomez in the original comic more than any previous actor. But yeah, it's hard to imagine anyone holding a candle to John Astin's zany energy, Raul Julia included. Guzman didn't even try to.

I was not expecting Emma Myers to be Meryl Streep, and her vibe seemed appropriate to me, no complaints.

#2491 1 year ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

I always found myself dozing off during episodes

Me too, and now that it's too late to watch it on HBO, and I swore off wasting my life watching commercials in 1998 (thanks, TiVo!), guess I'll never have a chance to attempt getting back into it, unless I find a used DVD set for cheap.

2 weeks later
#2538 1 year ago

Yeah, it is too much work , how can one be expected to go to all the trouble to type "Hulu" or "Netflix"?

Even if it saves dozens or hundreds of others from having to Google it or whatever. They wanna watch your suggestion, they can look for it.

And I'm sure no one wants to piss off people months or years in the future who are too dim to realize that shows move between services.

/s

You guys who would rather everyone look things up themselves, here's a word to look up: Courtesy

1 month later
#2614 1 year ago

I just rewatched a cute comedy I now see hasn't been mentioned here. A fun premise, a quick watch (8 eps), and who doesn’t like Paul Rudd?

Living With Yourself (Netflix)

1 month later
#2731 10 months ago
Quoted from gweempose:

you definitely posted this in the wrong thread.

Unless he's lamenting about how now he will never be on Collector's Call!

#2753 10 months ago

Season 4 of Manifest has dropped on Netflix.

As unintentionally silly as it gets, I don't mind, I could look at Melissa Roxburgh all day.

1 week later
#2795 10 months ago

The Young Ones launched a whole wave of alternative comedy in Britain.

I also got a kick out of Bottom. (Both had Rik Mayall and Ade Edmondson.)

Another frightfully clever Britcom was The League of Gentlemen. "This is a local shop, for local people! There's nothing for you here!" Which reminds me, I never did watch that whole series. I have had the DVD set for years but I guess I must have needed a long break from the weirdness...

1 month later
#2922 9 months ago
Quoted from romulusx:

No sir!You are just wrong!About White Lotus of course.

Probably just as well, I can just picture his response to the part about the hotel manager and the suitcase.

1 month later
#3064 7 months ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

The title character's ability to receive physical punishment and carry on as if nothing has happened is ... something else.

I also have trouble suspending disbelief enough to have any fun watching superhero or action films, regardless of the protagonist's sex and/or gender.

Understanding physics and probability sure puts a damper on accepting what these characters pull off with unbelievable frequency.

Hell, any gunshot wound will normally send the victim into shock. They wouldn't shake it off and continue after the baddies in real life!

And miraculous escape after miraculous escape is terribly hard to swallow, a la that 2012 doomsday movie. After five or six "yeah, right"s, I'm done.

2 weeks later
#3082 7 months ago

Been a few years since anyone here mentioned The Good Place. I just rewatched it and had forgotten how clever a lot of it was!

#3091 7 months ago

Oh yeah, everyone has adopted my suggestion, haven't they?

Why should I bother telling everyone The Good Place is still on Netflix when hardly anyone else bothers naming services?

Oops!

2 weeks later
#3155 6 months ago

As long as you don't have a problem with smart-alecky women (I find them invigorating, myself), if you like clever humor you should enjoy the truTV show "I'm Sorry" which is streaming on Max. She speaks her mind sorta like Sam Loudermilk, as I recall (just started rewatching).

1 week later
#3165 6 months ago

There is so much AppleTV+ (you guys always leave off the +!) that looks interesting that I may cancel Netflix, Max, Showtime, and Hulu, for a while anyway, and try out AppleTV+! And save a not insignificant sum per month.

I can always play my Mr Show and FOTC DVDs!

#3167 6 months ago

Exactly! And I feel adrift from the cultural zeitgeist every time I hear Ted Lasso mentioned. Not to mention Severance!

#3169 6 months ago

Green Acres, there's a polarizing show. Some people find it dumb, others (like me) find it hilarious!

2 months later
#3316 3 months ago

The new series Bookies (Max) is pretty funny.

1 month later
#3511 70 days ago

Never before available to stream anywhere, Northern Exposure is now included with Prime Video! All 110 episodes!

2 weeks later
#3554 54 days ago
Quoted from Mrbill:

be ready to read subtitles.

This. Don't try to watch it if you're sleepy! You won't get very far "resting your eyes" unless you speak Japanese!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DanQverymuch.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/im-trying-to-find-a-new-tv-series-to-watch?tu=DanQverymuch and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.