New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 185947)

I'm trying to find a new TV series to watch

By rai

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 902 posts
  • 272 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 17 days ago by EaglePin
  • Topic is favorited by 32 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 55 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

FA02941B-DE7F-4A5C-A76F-712A1035B254 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
Watchmen Motion Comic (resized).jpg
91IZna1XjvL._RI_ (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg
Final Space 1 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
cabin boy (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
FD9BD4C8-59A8-4922-BE00-31FBD89C6DA2 (resized).png
future-man-poster (resized).jpg
Maisel_S1_Title._CB475430233_ (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg

There are 902 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 19.
#351 2 years ago

Zane Lamprey's Three Sheets series is fun to watch. Most of the episodes are on YouTube.

#352 2 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Better Call Saul

I didn't watch Breaking Bad until I got into this show. I went back and caught up, and think Better Call Saul is better.

#353 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Liked the first True Dective but only watched one episode of the second because it seemed lame.

That lame selfaware ending of Season 2 Episode 1 where they stare at each other is just awful. I will say I watched it all and and didn't hate it. It has some qualities.

If you like all of David Lynch, you can't go wrong with Twin Peaks and the Showtime reboot for its pure existential surrealist insanity. If you don't like David Lynch, probably not fun. I love it. If you like Lost this is that a notch or two removed from reality.

If you like Season 1 of True Detective, check out Mindhunter on Netflix

If you like Sci-Fi Westworld, the netflix knockoff is decent too Altered Carbon.

The absolute best modern TV show IMO, HBO's Deadwood. Warning though, its a master class in swearing. Some of the best, inland swearing ever put to page or screen. Ways you couldn't even imagine using those words. Pure mastery. Plus every character has a deep arc. Great writing, sets, direction, and acting.

#354 2 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

Twin peaks is an amazing show. Strangely, I found myself thinking back on how important to the medium twin peaks was/is

Can't agree more. Show's like Lost couldn't have been accepted with the ground broken by this show.

#355 2 years ago

I’m just starting Bates Motel (one episode so far) looks good. I’d also like to watch Mad Men.

#356 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I’m just starting Bates Motel (one episode so far) looks good.

My wife and I just finished binge watching the whole thing. It's truly a great show that I'm surprised more people don't talk about. If you've never seen Psycho, or haven't seen it in a while, I highly recommend watching it first. There are a lot of great references/homages to it in the show.

#357 2 years ago

I finished watching Lost in Space. Overall, I enjoyed it. Even though there are many differences from the original series, some things are the same. There was one cast member from the original show who was briefly in the first episode.

#358 2 years ago

Really enjoyed watching Longmire...great show with a western theme.

#359 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I’m just starting Bates Motel (one episode so far) looks good. I’d also like to watch Mad Men.

Bates motel is absolutely amazing, not a bad episode out of the whole 5 seasons. My two favorite TV shows are Breaking Bad and Bates Motel.

#360 2 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Bates motel is absolutely amazing, not a bad episode out of the whole 5 seasons. My two favorite TV shows are Breaking Bad and Bates Motel.

Great to hear, I like seeing people from Lost as supporting roles in other shows like was a few in Justified, saw the actor who played Richard in Lost is in Bates. See they have show runner in common Lost and Bates Motel.

Breaking Bad and Sopranos and Lost are a few of my favorite shows. Justified was great as well.

#361 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I like seeing people from Lost as supporting roles in other shows like was a few in Justified, saw the actor who played Richard in Lost is in Bates. See they have show runner in common Lost and Bates Motel.

If you haven't already seen it, you should check out Colony, another Carlton Cuse show with a star from Lost. Season 3 starts in a couple weeks.

#362 2 years ago

Anyone tried The Terror?
I have only watched the first episode, but I really enjoyed the book.
Looks good.

#363 2 years ago

I'm about halfway through the first season of Altered Carbon. It's pretty cool, and a lot higher budget than I was expecting.

#364 2 years ago

Has anyone seen "The Alienist"? I don't understand the mediocre reviews, the show is one of the best thrillers! I have only 2 episodes left to watch but so far it's really great.

#365 2 years ago

Just caught up with the last season of How to get away with murder on Netflix. That's a good show, another one I'm really surprised with how much I liked was the 100. I'm also a sucker for Sherlock Holmes type stories so I can recommend Father Brown which is based on GK Chesterton stories about a sleuthing priest in 1950's England. It's actually really good.

#366 2 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

Has anyone seen "The Alienist"? I don't understand the mediocre reviews, the show is one of the best thrillers! I have only 2 episodes left to watch but so far it's really great.

I had low expectations before it started but really enjoyed it.
I have a question for you.
When watching American tv in Deutschland is it broadcast in English with optional subtitles or ...?

#367 2 years ago

Gold Rush

#368 2 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Anyone tried The Terror?
I have only watched the first episode, but I really enjoyed the book.
Looks good.

I read that. Some one called it the war and peace of horror novels... I made it through the whole thing. Not exactly my cup of tea but I like Dan Simmons.

If they can make a series out of the terror, there are many stories out there still.

Jeff vAndermeers ambergris stories, for instance.

image (resized).jpeg

#369 2 years ago

I've got to catch up on a bunch of things like the lost in space reboot.

image (resized).png

#370 2 years ago

I'm into the second season of Ice on Audience network. If you like stories about shady diamond dealers, it's kind of cool.

ice-season-1-poster-1 (resized).jpg

#371 2 years ago

Well Billions is getting good, Westworld is awesome, Last Man on Earth, Portlandia are funny and there's a new Psych movie that aired around Christmas!

#372 2 years ago

Massively underrated and under watched show but my all time favourite series ever! 5 seasons of pure awesomeness!

7D69C7C4-F6AA-4D82-8403-DAA86F09539A (resized).jpeg

#373 2 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions, there’s so many TV shows out there new and old, it would take me forever to watch half of what I’d like. Not to mention movies lol

I can not believe the quality of TV shows now, even the meh shows like TWD current are worth watching, and I still have shows to rewatch like Breaking Bad and Deadwood not to mention half the shows mentioned here I’ve not even started to watch (Westworld etc.).

#374 2 years ago

I just bought the Batman 66 complete tv series on blu ray since the pinball machine is so fun. Love the vibrant colors and campy humor.

#375 2 years ago

Aaahhhhh, finally, can turn the TV back on tonight. FXX, 10PM.

archer-meme-14 (resized).jpg

#376 2 years ago

Just started on the Netflix Lost in Space reboot and liking it quite a bit so far.

#377 2 years ago
Quoted from BillyPilgrim:

Just started on the Netflix Lost in Space reboot and liking it quite a bit so far.

I second this. Series is great, watched the whole season but now have to wait a very long time for season 2...

#378 2 years ago

We like Lost in Space allot and have 3 to go. Lots of tributes to the original in it. Some things do not understand.
Is a dish larger than the Jupiter ships needed to transmit/ receive from orbit to the ground? Maybe across a solar system.
The ship from orbit can transmit to the ships on the ground and be heard but can't hear space ships on the ground transmitting to it?
The ship in orbit can not see 22 ships on the ground including all the changes they would make, movement of things, fires at night on a planet with no other light sources at night? Not to mention the ships that crashed cleared large areas of trees and caused large fires. Can see our mailbox on the road with google maps/earth.
How can 1 ships worth of fuel power 20 plus other ships?
20 plus ships all landed in water that was frozen solid as Ice and got eels in them?
The one that set my wife off the most was how can you get out of boiling hot tar in a plastic bag?
We kept telling each other it is just entertainment and laughing.

#379 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I can not believe the quality of TV shows now

Check out 'Bosch'. Some other Pinsiders have mentioned it. A crime drama that is well produced with many interesting episodes.

#380 2 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Check out 'Bosch'. Some other Pinsiders have mentioned it. A crime drama that is well produced with many interesting episodes.

I watched 1-2 episodes but was not blown away by it but the same thing when I watched Justified first 1-2 episodes were not great but after a while it got great. Maybe I’ll get back to Bosch soon.

After Fargo 3 and Bates.

#381 2 years ago

Stargate SG-1 is excellent.

#382 2 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

New season of Bosch just started...I'll be tied up watching the NHL playoffs till June!!

#383 2 years ago

If anyone likes offbeat sci-fi with great action, humor, and Jim Henson creations, check out the wonderful Australian show Farscape. One of my favorites when it was on.

#384 2 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

If anyone likes offbeat sci-fi with great action, humor, and Jim Henson creations, check out the wonderful Australian show Farscape. One of my favorites when it was on.

Very fun show with some great sets, costumes and makeup.

#385 2 years ago

Love on Netflix is a really good show. I'm about halfway through season three. I also highly recommend Red Oaks on Amazon.

#386 2 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Aaahhhhh, finally, can turn the TV back on tonight. FXX, 10PM.

Yes LOL.

Kreiger as a ...

... don't want to spoil it.

#387 2 years ago

I finally started watching Ozark on Netflix. I'm 5 episodes in and really enjoying it.

2 months later
#388 2 years ago

Babylon 5 is now available on Amazon Prime for binge watching. It's the best sci-fi show ever made in my opinion. It was the first show to ever attempt a story arc over 5 seasons, the first show to make extensive use of CGI (season one was actually rendered on Commodore Amigas for you classic computer buffs), and it has Bruce Boxleitner (from Tron). It may not be new (1993-1998), but for a very large portion of the population it will be new to you. The first episode doesn't leave a great impression, but keep watching because it just gets better and better with every episode as the characters and the story get deeper and deeper. It's kind of like discovering a pinball machine with a deep ruleset except you don't have to be a great player to see a great story, you just have to sit back and watch while the thrills come right to your eyes.

babylon_5-show_2707 (resized).jpg
#389 2 years ago

wife convinced me to start watching orphan black. great story that unfolds nicely, amazing how one actress can play so many different characters. doesnt hurt that matt frewer is in it as well #maxheadroom

#390 2 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

Just caught up with the last season of How to get away with murder on Netflix.

I agree with this one, lots of guessing on who done what and the guessing is not even close. So many twists and turns awesome show.

#391 2 years ago
Quoted from JeremyON:

Babylon 5 is now available on Amazon Prime for binge watching. It's the best sci-fi show ever made in my opinion. It was the first show to ever attempt a story arc over 5 seasons, the first show to make extensive use of CGI (season one was actually rendered on Commodore Amigas for you classic computer buffs), and it has Bruce Boxleitner (from Tron). It may not be new (1993-1998), but for a very large portion of the population it will be new to you. The first episode doesn't leave a great impression, but keep watching because it just gets better and better with every episode as the characters and the story get deeper and deeper. It's kind of like discovering a pinball machine with a deep ruleset except you don't have to be a great player to see a great story, you just have to sit back and watch while the thrills come right to your eyes.

B5 is awesome! The first season can be kind of painful to get through, but even in some of those earlier episodes seeds are planted that pay off in later seasons.

#392 2 years ago

Humans is a fantastic show.

It is a frightening thing to consider this is what may happen in our future. One of the things it touches upon, and I find both interesting and troubled by: what happens to society when A.I and robotics replaces a human workforce, and the ramifications as well as civil unrest caused. They will become relied upon for every part of our daily lives and it explores in later seasons how it can all go wrong.

5AF13044-4DB6-4439-92FD-A971358AAA6C (resized).jpeg

#393 2 years ago

New season of Bosch just started, also for fans of Bill Bob Thornton, 2nd season of Goliath back.

#394 2 years ago

Bob’s Burgers is pretty darn funny

4 weeks later
#395 2 years ago

Better Call Saul season 4 starts tonite on amc..

#396 2 years ago

Just begun to watch Colony. So far I’d say it’s meh.

I’ve watched 4 episodes and trying to decide if I want to continue or cut it off.

Anyone have any advice?

I felt like Breaking Bad took me a while to get into, but as we know B.B. is well reviewed and praised as one of the best shows of all time.

I really liked Lost but that was more the opposite where it started off great and went plus/minus over time like TWD.

Is Colony just meh??

#397 2 years ago

If you ever find yourself in a hospital bed for a LONG time and really like mysteries, check out Midsomer Murders. 19 seasons full movie length episodes. Will keep you busy for a year or two.

#398 2 years ago

Peaky Blinders on Netfix.

#399 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Just begun to watch Colony. So far I’d say it’s meh.

I’ve watched 4 episodes and trying to decide if I want to continue or cut it off.

Anyone have any advice?

I liked Colony, but I wouldn't recommend it to someone at this point. The show recently got cancelled, and nothing was wrapped up at all, so you're really left hanging at the end.

#400 2 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I liked Colony, but I wouldn't recommend it to someone at this point. The show recently got cancelled, and nothing was wrapped up at all, so you're really left hanging at the end.

Thanks, as you may know other shows have got canceled that are still worth watching Freaks and Geeks, Star Trek, Twin Peaks as an example.

So was it just meh all the way and not worth the time? I can rewatch Lost or BB again.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 750.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Great American Pinball
$ 1,099.00
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 25.00
Displays
Pappy's Pinball Palace
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
2step’s shop
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 999.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CzTV Mods
$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 5,899.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 43.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball Shop
$ 27.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 149.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 18.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 38.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
M&M Mods
$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 9.95
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore
$ 100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D MODS
There are 902 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 19.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside