2006-The-Departed-03-2254582836 (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-03-21 at 16-45-23 3 Body Problem (2024) (resized).png
s-l1600aaa (resized).jpg
2222 (resized).jpg
s-l960 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
download (1) (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
There are 3,789 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 76.
#201 7 years ago

I've been seeing some promos for a Bernie Madoff docudrama. Deniro is playing Madoff, and he looks to do a great job. HBO starting next Sunday.

#202 7 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

I've been seeing some promos for a Bernie Madoff docudrama. Deniro is playing Madoff, and he looks to do a great job. HBO starting next Sunday.

Wasn't there one where Richard Dryfuss played Madoff?

#203 7 years ago

I'm not familiar. Here's the link for the trailer. I guess it's actually a movie, not a series. It also gets released on May 20th, not next week.

#204 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Lewis is a great actor. He was in a show I really liked called "Life".

I liked that series, but it was short lived. Would have liked several more seasons

#205 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Wasn't there one where Richard Dryfuss played Madoff?

Yes, that was actually pretty decent. I think it was a 3 or 4 episode mini series on mid last year. I've seen pilots for something new on Madoff also, but not sure which channel that's on.

#206 7 years ago

The return of the Leftovers was pretty good the other night.

I have a feeling the end is near.

#207 7 years ago
Quoted from Tilt:

I liked that series, but it was short lived. Would have liked several more seasons

Anyone who liked Life will be very pleasantly surprised by the cast of Terriers. Have I mentioned how good of a show Terriers was?!! It was really amazing.

#209 7 years ago

I don't think anyone has listed it yet but rai check out "Person of Interest" one of my all time favourite tv shows.

IMG_1859 (resized).JPGIMG_1859 (resized).JPG

#210 7 years ago

My favorites are

Game of Thrones - I read the books before the series was created, am very glad they did it on TV rather than movies due to the immense amount of detail.

House of Cards - I've always loved Kevin Spacey, and the parallels to actual politics is actually disturbing.

Breaking Bad - I never watched it until it was off the air then binged the entire series... couldn't get enough

Lots of good Marvel stuff, notables being Daredevil and Jessica Jones, Luke Cage is also solid. Flash and Arrow are also decent series, I binged Arrow for a while but have yet to get through its nearly 100 episodes in 5 seasons!. Those guys at Arrow are workaholics compared to the 10 episode seasons everyone else puts out.

Halt and Catch Fire is very good

And I have watched The Walking Dead from the beginning... it takes a lot to hold my attention for that long but it's worth it.

#211 7 years ago

great ideas, I can probably spend the next 5 years catching up on the shows mentioned.

I have heard Halt and Catch Fire mentioned several times. I love the idea, and I've read a few non-fiction books on the subject of early computers such as a book about PARC, a book about Microsoft and Google. I just can not get into the characters in the TV show. Still may give it a chance but more looking forward to Bates and TWD etc..

#212 7 years ago

New season of Fargo starts up tonight on FX
1st season with Billy Bob Thornton was awesome!!

#213 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

great ideas, I can probably spend the next 5 years catching up on the shows mentioned.
I have heard Halt and Catch Fire mentioned several times. I love the idea, and I've read a few non-fiction books on the subject of early computers such as a book about PARC, a book about Microsoft and Google. I just can not get into the characters in the TV show. Still may give it a chance but more looking forward to Bates and TWD etc..

Give HCF some more time.
If you ever used one of the first IBM PCs in the late 80s/early 90s and/or built your own clone like I have, then it will be worth watching.
From what reviews I've read the series is fairly accurate (by Hollywood standards anyway).
Just binge-watched all 3 seasons.
There's a 4th and final season coming this fall.

#214 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The return of the Leftovers was pretty good the other night.
I have a feeling the end is near.

The Departure!! I missed that show, and forgot it restarted. Kevin is awesome, but that was a long hiatus. I'll have to get back on it. Great music throughout the first two seasons my Max Richter also...excellent composer.

#215 6 years ago

My wife and I absolutely love the British comedy Catastrophe on Amazon Prime. Really funny stuff, and it's only six episodes per season, so it's easy to binge. Season three starts in a week.

I'd also highly recommend Episodes with Matt LeBlanc.

#217 6 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

My wife and I absolutely love the British comedy Catastrophe on Amazon Prime. Really funny stuff, and it's only six episodes per season, so it's easy to binge. Season three starts in a week.
I'd also highly recommend Episodes with Matt LeBlanc.

Episodes is great, nice to see another fan of that underrated series.

S3 of Catastrophe was good, you'll enjoy it.

#218 6 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

Deadwood is bad ass. I hated to see that go. I wouldn't be suprised to see another season of deadwood someday. Seems to have a big enough following after the fact and most of the actors are still around?

rumor is that a deadwood movie is planned to finish the series off. the script has been completed, apparently...

#219 6 years ago

Quarry is good. pretty dark. set in 70's America.

#220 6 years ago
Quoted from cycochris:

Quarry is good. pretty dark. set in 70's America.
» YouTube video

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll dig this thread up in a number of years. I really don't like getting involved on a show that's just one season in. Prefer to watch years at one time.

#221 6 years ago

Wentworth. Simply awesome.

#222 6 years ago

Watched the first episode of "Santa Clarita Diet" and instantly got hooked. Finished watching all of it last night. Funny as hell. And I don't really like comedies.

5 months later
#223 6 years ago

There is a new TV Show here in Germany called "Babylon Berlin" and it's the best I have seen in a long time. Netflix will bring it to the USA, but i don't know when. I only watched the first two episodes so far and know I am hooked. It is big and something special!!! And I think it will be a succsess in USA too. It's a bit like "Boardwalk Empire" or "The Deuce" if you liked that you will love this. It's new in a way and never seen before. And I hope it will run for years, there is enough source material in the novels it's based on. It is crazy how relevant the 20s in Berlin still are for the time we are living now.
https://www.screendaily.com/5116469.article

#224 6 years ago

I recently started watching a sci-fi show called "Extinct". The show was created by Orson Scott Card, the same guy who wrote "Ender's Game". Despite being relatively low budget and only available on the BYU Television network, it's actually a pretty good show. It definitely has an SG-1 kind of feel to it. If you have a Roku or other capable device, you can download the BYUtv app and stream it for free.

#225 6 years ago

Two words....The Deuce!

#226 6 years ago

Favorites right now:

1. Narcos - just brilliant
2. Billions
3. Homeland
4. Mindhunter - started slow, but getting good.

#227 6 years ago

Just started with Mindhunter, it does start out slow but kind of realistic mundane things we all go through. But I think it's going to build (hopefully) like a long form of Silence of the lambs.

It's set in the late 70s too so that's cool since I grew up then.

#228 6 years ago

I really like Vice Principles on HBO. Also the Deuce is great. If your're willing to go back to a series from years ago, I suggest Deadwood. There are only 3 seasons i believe (HBO didn't lock in the actors fast enough for season 4). Deadwood would have made a fantastic pin theme (at least to me)

Nothing beats better call Saul! Can't wait for that to start again.

#229 6 years ago
Quoted from Vdrums:

I really like Vice Principles on HBO. Also the Deuce is great. If your're willing to go back to a series from years ago, I suggest Deadwood. There are only 3 seasons i believe (HBO didn't lock in the actors fast enough for season 4). Deadwood would have made a fantastic pin theme (at least to me)
Nothing beats better call Saul! Can't wait for that to start again.

I've heard Vice Principles is awesome. I gotta check it out soon!

#230 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

It's set in the late 70s too so that's cool since I grew up then.

FYI....The Deuce is 70's as well....

#231 6 years ago
Quoted from Vdrums:

If your're willing to go back to a series from years ago, I suggest Deadwood. There are only 3 seasons i believe (HBO didn't lock in the actors fast enough for season 4). Deadwood would have made a fantastic pin theme (at least to me)

Cocksuckers!

#232 6 years ago

Man in the High Castle.

#233 6 years ago

You can always rewatch game of thrones. Trust me there is a lot that you forgot and I always learn find something I missed in each episode.

#234 6 years ago

B A N S H E E !

The best show I've seen. Watch first 3 episodes and you'll see.

#236 6 years ago

Orphan Black Seasons 1-3, especially.
The 4400 Seasons 1-2, especially.
Longmire - all of it.
Person of Interest, Seasons 1-3, especially.
Battlestar Galactica TV series (I actually liked the finale, too).
Game of Thrones (just jump in now!)
Psych (all of it - GREAT series, and the movie's out later this year)

#237 6 years ago

I highly recommend MI:5.

Its a very good bbc show, plus I think they have 7 or 8 seasons and are done.

#238 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I've heard Vice Principles is awesome. I gotta check it out soon!

Stupid funny!

#239 6 years ago

Have finished watching both GOT and TWD

#240 6 years ago

Vice principles is out of control, if you guys like that watch east bound and down also.

#241 6 years ago

Put on your list:
Vikings
Black Sails

#242 6 years ago

rai mentions watching Breaking Bad, Sopranos and Lost already. My recommendations include:

Justified - (5 seasons and only bad episode is finale). Put this one at top of your list.

Limitless - take a pill and become a genius for a day, only side effect is it can kill you and is illegal. This entertaining dramedy is funny and well written. Main character always skirts formal procedures but his heart is good and he uses the pill to fight evil. Should have won many awards.

Scandal - outrageously unrealistic drama centered on fictional White House is fun to indulge.

People of Earth - Low key comedy with unknown and flawed characters. Ever seen a funny alien, there many?

Silicon Valley - low key with a few characters showing excellent acting chops engaged in the quirky and fickle world of startups. Where things can go right or wrong in an instant. Watched this for three seasons and couldn't get enough.

Nurse Jackie - every character in this drama is interesting and the entire show is about relationships.

30 Rock - the perfect comedy where most characters are established professional comedians already.

Castle - cop dramedy doesn't take itself too seriously. With interesting crimes each week, you follow crime writer around trying to solve the mystery. You never will, just enjoy the time spent watching.

#243 6 years ago

Silicon valley is good. It's nice that it's short 30 min episodes because sometimes you need a break from those longer 1 hour series. Plus it has this funny sense of comedy with a good soundtrack of unpopular song.

#244 6 years ago

Been watching I'm Dying Up Here.....really good!

#245 6 years ago

24. My favorite show

#246 6 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

24. My favorite show

It has more good seasons than bad, so worth watching the whole thing, for sure.

#247 6 years ago

Ozark
Evil Dead
Supernatural - going on 13 seasons - I think. Great series, although the writers are running out of ideas

#248 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Have finished watching both GOT and TWD

and???

#249 6 years ago

Great!

GOT has better production value but (as with the books) the story is very scattered all over the place, but very well done with the gottcha moments.

TWD (IMO) is more fun but seems as if some times the storyline can stall or get into dull areas and a lot of un-likely moments such as (the main example) Sasha coming out of the coffin at just the correct moment *this is too much of a Deus ex Machina moment* and such as the Kingdom showing up at just the right moment to disrupt another something.

I believe both shows were better early on, but especially TWD where it's getting very soap opera like and unbelievable, and some thing like Terminus are resolved too soon but some things like Woodburry and Negan plot line go on too long, and some characters like Carl and Carol get the hell on my nerves. Basically more TWD characters are annoying, whereas GOT characters are a lot more likable and GOT has more eye candy.

IMO Cerce and Tyron are the best characters.

Both shows have annoying characters and both shows have unrealistic battle scenes but I like the sword fights in GOT.

TWD gunfights are starting to get to the level of the A-team where the main people can just be in the middle of machine-gun fire and don't get a scratch.

*A Deus ex Machina is when some new event, character, ability, or object solves a seemingly unsolvable problem in a sudden, unexpected way. It's often used as the solution to what is called "writing yourself into a corner," where the problem is so extreme that nothing in the established setting suggests that there is a logical way for the characters to escape. If a bomb is about to go off, someone finds a convenient bomb-proof bunker in easy reach. If a protagonist falls off a cliff, a flying robot will suddenly appear to catch them.

#250 6 years ago

The Orville is pretty good.

There are 3,789 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 76.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/im-trying-to-find-a-new-tv-series-to-watch/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.