pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0049 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6661.gif
2006-The-Departed-03-2254582836 (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-03-21 at 16-45-23 3 Body Problem (2024) (resized).png
s-l1600aaa (resized).jpg
2222 (resized).jpg
There are 3,813 posts in this topic. You are on page 44 of 77.
#2151 1 year ago
Quoted from rai:

Don’t know if it’s been said but my family liked ‘Only Murders in the building’. It’s not world class great but a light and fun watch.

Yes, it's brilliant! Working on the second season now.

#2152 1 year ago

I liked OMITB a lot! Good to see charming, thoughtful humor again.

On an unrelated note:

I have a few aces up my sleeve if I ever run out of things to watch...

To this day I have not seen a single Lord of the Rings movie (and I read the books more than once, go figure), nor have I seen any Harry Potter movies (thinking I still want to read those books first).

I realize these are movies, not TV shows, but with a backlog like this I could binge them as though they were TV shows!

For that matter I haven't seen probably 95% of the movies on this list!:
https://www.businessinsider.com/greatest-movie-franchises-all-time-critics-2018-8

I figure mostly because I don't get anything from movies where the protagonists death-defyingly barely avoid being wiped out repeatedly for two hours. My brain won't go into idle that long, so it's all too much suspension of disbelief for me to have any fun.

I'd rather rewatch something like Wilfred, to be honest. A dog that appears to be a dog to everyone except one guy who sees a man in a dog suit, that I can believe!

#2153 1 year ago

Rolling Stone just published an updated Top 100 Best TV Shows of All Time list.

Not much I would disagree with except for some of the ordering. All great shows, the ones I've seen, anyway.

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-movies/tv-movie-lists/best-tv-shows-of-all-time-1234598313/

#2154 1 year ago

I'd like the Rings of Power more if every story-line wasn't about a character being convinced to do something they don't want to do.
Which of course in the end they do.

#2155 1 year ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

On an unrelated note:
To this day I have not seen a single Lord of the Rings movie (and I read the books more than once, go figure), nor have I seen any Harry Potter movies (thinking I still want to read those books first).
I realize these are movies, not TV shows, but with a backlog like this I could binge them as though they were TV shows!
https://www.businessinsider.com/greatest-movie-franchises-all-time-critics-2018-8
I figure mostly because I don't get anything from movies where the protagonists death-defyingly barely avoid being wiped out repeatedly for two hours. My brain won't go into idle that long, so it's all too much suspension of disbelief for me to have any fun.
I'd rather rewatch something like Wilfred, to be honest. A dog that appears to be a dog to everyone except one guy who sees a man in a dog suit, that I can believe!

LotR movies are great and you might as well watch the extended editions so they are like 11-12 hours but probably the best movie franchise (after The Godfather)

#2156 1 year ago

Rolling Stone just published an updated Top 100 Best TV Shows of All Time list.
Not much I would disagree with except for some of the ordering. All great shows, the ones I've seen, anyway.
https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-movies/tv-movie-lists/best-tv-shows-of-all-time-1234598313/

I didn't see all the list obviously it's going to be different than what I would pick but it's a good framework (I haven't seen them all like Leftovers so can't say but yes I can say, Leftovers over Lost??).

But you have to be kidding with 'Fleabag' at number 5. Ahead of Seinfeld, Cheers, Mash, The Office, Big Bang Theory etc. I mean it's fine but it's not much more than average IMO

#2157 1 year ago

On an unrelated note:

Yeah, I have issues with that list. First, there is Alien, and Aliens. Everything else is crap in the series.
Die Hard, Die Hard 2, Die Hard 4 (and no other, even the one I worked on - 5)
Terminator, T2, maybe T3, then Dark Fate
Indy 1, and that's it.
Star Wars, Empire, Return of the Jedi, and Rogue One. The rest are awful.
Mission Impossible 4, 5 and 6. Skip 2 for certain.

I have some other quibbles, but those are the big ones. And skip the Hobbit Trilogy.

#2158 1 year ago
Quoted from rai:

I didn't see all the list obviously it's going to be different than what I would pick but it's a good framework (I haven't seen them all like Leftovers so can't say but yes I can say, Leftovers over Lost??).
But you have to be kidding with 'Fleabag' at number 5. Ahead of Seinfeld, Cheers, Mash, The Office, Big Bang Theory etc. I mean it's fine but it's not much more than average IMO

That list was horrible. I guess it was just really, really subjective. I cannot stand Sopranos. XFiles should have been much higher. Agreed with Mary Tyler Moore and Bob Newhart. I don't watch a lot of television, apparently, there were a lot I've never seen.

#2159 1 year ago
Quoted from rai:

I mostly agree with the dramas - Sopranos is one for me by quite a bit. Perfectly done characters, writing, pacing, setting, directing.. just great all around. No better show, and I've seen all the contenders.

Pretty good list as I continue to scroll. But some of those recent smart comedy shows feel like they need some time to bake before they can overtake infinitely rewatchable comedy shows like Seinfeld or The Office.

#2160 1 year ago

60 days in (some seasons on hulu, some on netflix) - it's actually incredible to watch for at least a season or two. Most people never get to (have to) see how jail actually operates. The premise of just dropping random innocents into a jail setting is like something out of chapelle show. The way some people adapt, or fail to adapt, can be really interesting. You can draw your own conclusions as to whether confinement is effective.

#2161 1 year ago

Well it's almost October, what are the horror fans excited about?

The Midnight Club on Netflix looks promising. I might also go for a rewatch of Flanagan's series from last year, Midnight Mass. So good. The Haunting of Hill House is also fantastic, but I don't think Bly Manor will ever find itself on my rewatch list.

#2162 1 year ago
Quoted from rai:

LotR movies are great and you might as well watch the extended editions so they are like 11-12 hours but probably the best movie franchise (after The Godfather)

I would change that to you must watch the extended editions. As someone who never read the books, when I saw the original trilogy in the theaters it was ok but it seemed to fly by with this big mishmash of interconnected characters that I couldn’t really follow or make sense of. When I watched the entire extended edition, I was like, OK, I get it now. Everything made more sense.

Quoted from MtnFrost:

Yeah, I have issues with that list. First, there is Alien, and Aliens. Everything else is crap in the series.
Die Hard, Die Hard 2, Die Hard 4 (and no other, even the one I worked on - 5)
Terminator, T2, maybe T3, then Dark Fate
Indy 1, and that's it.
Star Wars, Empire, Return of the Jedi, and Rogue One. The rest are awful.
Mission Impossible 4, 5 and 6. Skip 2 for certain.
I have some other quibbles, but those are the big ones. And skip the Hobbit Trilogy.

Totally agree.

#2163 1 year ago

Been enjoying watching-'Somebody feed Phil' on Netflix

I am somewhat of a foodie and I like the different cultures/people Phil interacts with during each episode.

-Good stuff and worth watching

#2164 1 year ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Been enjoying watching-'Somebody feed Phil' on Netflix
I am somewhat of a foodie and I like the different cultures/people Phil interacts with during each episode.
-Good stuff and worth watching

I was wondering about that one. Thanks

#2165 1 year ago
Quoted from EternitytoM83:

The Midnight Club on Netflix looks promising. I might also go for a rewatch of Flanagan's series from last year, Midnight Mass. So good. The Haunting of Hill House is also fantastic, but I don't think Bly Manor will ever find itself on my rewatch list.

I just watched scanners from Cronenberg to begin the season. New scanners are coming on h b o.

https://deadline.com/2022/09/scanners-hbo-series-1235123991/

#2166 1 year ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

60 days in (some seasons on hulu, some on netflix) - it's actually incredible to watch for at least a season or two. Most people never get to (have to) see how jail actually operates. The premise of just dropping random innocents into a jail setting is like something out of chapelle show. The way some people adapt, or fail to adapt, can be really interesting. You can draw your own conclusions as to whether confinement is effective.

I think I'll skip that one
20220928_064647.jpg20220928_064647.jpg

#2167 1 year ago
Quoted from northerndude:

SPOILER -
Yeah I'm kind of in same thoughts. I just had to read what the king has - it says he has a form of Leprosy so that would be a long slow death.
That new Ranera - meh.

I don’t like the change of characters. The new Raenerah is such a downgrade. The new queen isn’t that much older, so why change her. Hollywood has done a good job in the past with makeup to make actors look older or younger. I wish they went that route. I was shocked to see the king still around 10 years later when it looked like he was just days away from death.

#2168 1 year ago
Quoted from northerndude:SPOILER -
Yeah I'm kind of in same thoughts. I just had to read what the king has - it says he has a form of Leprosy so that would be a long slow death.
That new Ranera - meh.

I figured the king had greyscale, like Jorah from the original series. I really don't remember how that played out.

Agree with the comments on Ranera. The queen's new actress is pretty uncanny, actually. Ranera seems to have aged more than anyone in the series, and overall seems to be a downgrade.

#2169 1 year ago

Not a fan of gore, I tend to go for Supernatural, X-Files reruns. For film, 1944 The Uninvited is the best ghost story out there.

#2170 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

Not a fan of gore, I tend to go for Supernatural, X-Files reruns. For film, 1944 The Uninvited is the best ghost story out there.

Supernatural was an awesome show, until it wasn't. I believe it went down the toilet during the "Leviathan " season. We used to love Supernatural, until it went straight down the crapper. Kinda like "The Walking Dead", was an AWESOME show until, apparently, they fired the writers and hired middle school students to write the rest. Unbelievable how they F'd that show. I sucked it up until Rick left...couldn't sit through it after that..sad..

#2171 1 year ago
Quoted from Irishbastard:

Supernatural was an awesome show, until it wasn't. I believe it went down the toilet during the "Leviathan " season. We used to love Supernatural, until it went straight down the crapper. Kinda like "The Walking Dead", was an AWESOME show until, apparently, they fired the writers and hired middle school students to write the rest. Unbelievable how they F'd that show. I sucked it up until Rick left...couldn't sit through it after that..sad..

Ha ha! Yep to bad on TWD. I’ll finish it but won’t watch again. I watched season 1-3 seven times.

#2172 1 year ago
Quoted from Gunnut40:

Ha ha! Yep to bad on TWD. I’ll finish it but won’t watch again. I watched season 1-3 seven times.

I can't even finish, gave up a while back, it's just so, absolutely horrible, we couldn't sit through it. We used to be on edge watching it, gave us freaking anxiety watching it. Then it seemed to go "politically correct ", and became complete garbage, and lost the entire story.

#2173 1 year ago

I can't even finish, gave up a while back, it's just so, absolutely horrible, we couldn't sit through it. We used to be on edge watching it, gave us freaking anxiety watching it. Then it seemed to go "politically correct ", and became complete garbage, and lost the entire story.

Yep sure did. We need some more baseball bat goodness. Not this candy land bull butter! Hopefully warrior will be good when it comes back.

#2174 1 year ago

Kinda like "The Walking Dead", was an AWESOME show until, apparently, they fired the writers and hired middle school students to write the rest. Unbelievable how they F'd that show. I sucked it up until Rick left...couldn't sit through it after that..sad..

That's about the time I gave up on it, but I had been forcing myself to keep watching for a while before that. Too bad they couldn't have let it reach a satisfying conclusion instead of continuing to milk it long after the cow was dead.

#2175 1 year ago

I am a walking dead fan. They were replaying some of the old episodes the other day on AMC. I watch season1 episode 1and it just infuriated me realizing how far it has fallen. Season 1 was great, 2 was slow, 3 brought it back and 4 was great. For me the real down fall was the Glen fake death (spoiler alert). I will stick it out and finish the show.

#2176 1 year ago

That's about the time I gave up on it, but I had been forcing myself to keep watching for a while before that. Too bad they couldn't have let it reach a satisfying conclusion instead of continuing to milk it long after the cow was dead.

I stopped watching shortly after the Glenn fake death. It was strong at least until then - I stopped because it was getting too stressful, but I never found it to be dull, and certainly never went "politically correct". Whatever that means. I knew that a major character would be dying, so I didn't want to see it happen. Cannot imagine it without Rick.

#2177 1 year ago

I'm trying to slog through the final season of TWD just because I somehow made it this far, even though I couldn't begin to explain the current storyline to save my life, and feel nothing of the emotional investment that I did earlier in the series. It all seems so repetitive at this point.

Maybe I just feel obligated as I have a TWD Premium which I love. Good thing I have TiVo, I have never felt so underwhelmed by a final season coming out and have no idea when I might be compelled to watch it.

#2178 1 year ago

TWD was appointment tv for us for years. We stopped watching when only a couple major original cast members were left.. around the whisperer era? I can't remember what they were called. We were even watching the after show.

They got really into building a universe and a brand while the show simultaneously suffered. Amazing how far it fell, but yet remains pretty culturally relevant. At least the machine is good!

The other show we just gave up on was lost. We watched all but the last season. I guess the penultimate season drained our interest hard. We tried picking it up where we left it, but the interest just isn't there, and now there's just too much other good stuff out there.

#2179 1 year ago

One of the great things I loved about TWD was how major characters were killed off and you didn't see it coming. It was right around season 6 when it got predictable. The show would suddenly start giving a second or third tier character lots of screen time. I would turn to my wife and say going to die soon and within 1 or 2 shows it happens. Might as well put a red shirt on them. I hope most of the cast dies in the last few episodes. I always felt that show should never have a happy ending.

#2180 1 year ago

TWD has been awful last couple of seasons - stuck with it just becuase we were invested and want to see how it ends.

#2181 1 year ago

To everyone: a great thing about TWD is the graphic novels. They are fantastic imo. And I don’t read, ever. You get to see the parallel of each and how the books finish up the series

#2182 1 year ago

I'm trying to slog through the final season of TWD just because I somehow made it this far, even though I couldn't begin to explain the current storyline to save my life, and feel nothing of the emotional investment that I did earlier in the series. It all seems so repetitive at this point.

Maybe I just feel obligated as I have a TWD Premium which I love. Good thing I have TiVo, I have never felt so underwhelmed by a final season coming out and have no idea when I might be compelled to watch it.

This sums up my thoughts exactly. TWD was my favorite show for years. It's the reason that I bought my TWDLE sight unseen. But these days the show has become a real chore to watch. I'll finish it just because I feel in some weird way that I'm obligated to, but I don't really enjoy it anymore. There was a point where I felt that Fear TWD had actually become better than the original, but that show has devolved into crap as well. The most recent storyline with the nukes is beyond stupid! I haven't even bothered watching the most recent spinoff with the teenagers.

#2183 1 year ago

We've been enjoying Tales of TWD. The main TWD series not as much but enough to keep watching.

#2184 1 year ago
Quoted from Gunnut40:

She Hulk attorney at law….terriable! Nap time when the wife watches it.

I'm actually digging it, but I also really dig the actress tatiana maslany. If you haven't watched orphan black it's a great series and she did an incredible job playing like 6 separate characters.

#2185 1 year ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I'm actually digging it, but I also really dig the actress tatiana maslany. If you haven't watched orphan black it's a great series and she did an incredible job playing like 6 separate characters.

I might have to check out orphan black. I probably will finish she hulk. I’m not sold on how she became the she hulk. I’m a little gun shy on these new shows after moon knight. The only good part of that show was the ice cream truck driving part with wham playing.

#2186 1 year ago
Quoted from gweempose:

This sums up my thoughts exactly. TWD was my favorite show for years. It's the reason that I bought my TWDLE sight unseen. But these days the show has become a real chore to watch. I'll finish it just because I feel in some weird way that I'm obligated to, but I don't really enjoy it anymore. There was a point where I felt that Fear TWD had actually become better than the original, but that show has devolved into crap as well. The most recent storyline with the nukes is beyond stupid! I haven't even bothered watching the most recent spinoff with the teenagers.

Yeah don’t! Bunch of the same story line crap coming out now. You can power through it but it’s rough. It’s not Z nation bad but pretty harsh.

#2187 1 year ago

I just started watching the series on Netflix about Jeff Dahmer. So far in 3 episodes but I’m not sure how I feel about it or if I want to keep watching. Had anyone finished this one?

#2188 1 year ago

The new Hulu comedy series Reboot is pretty funny so far. I like how it parodies the rebooting of a lame-ass family comedy of the sort I abhor. I see lots of potential to get even funnier. I'm only on ep 2, so we shall see. The show itself is definitely NOT family friendly!

#2189 1 year ago

Quik review of
Netflix's The Munsters by Rob Zombie
Visuals are great
very campy
not very funny.

Hocus Pocus 2 on Disney+
My wife who is a great fan of the 1st movie, thought
this sequel was very well done and
very much in spirit of the first.

#2190 1 year ago
Quoted from rai:

I just started watching the series on Netflix about Jeff Dahmer. So far in 3 episodes but I’m not sure how I feel about it or if I want to keep watching. Had anyone finished this one?

Yep watched most of it with my wife. Unless you are really into it. Don’t watch it.

#2191 1 year ago
Quoted from rai:

Yes i did, but it's pretty grim and disturbing at times.
But i remember it from the real footage back then, so that makes it intriguing for me

#2192 1 year ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Quik review of
Netflix's The Munsters by Rob Zombie
Visuals are great
very campy
not very funny.

Horrible, turned it off after 30 mins
Huge disappointment

#2193 1 year ago
Quoted from Thor-NL:

Yes i did, but it's pretty grim and disturbing at times.
But i remember it from the real footage back then, so that makes it intriguing for me

Was there much courtroom drama? I like that. I did like the Ted Bundy movie with Zac Efron but that was a lot shorter.

#2194 1 year ago

OK was looking for stuff to watch and took a shot at a couple of shows over the last month.

First was Halt and Catch Fire. (This was on Amazon as part of my AMC subscription.) I ended up liking this more and more as I worked my way through the seasons. It captured a time in the early days of computers and dawn of the internet that were a big part of my life. I wasn't expecting it to be so good though. The characters were really good and I could identify with a lot of them. I would definitely recommend this one especially if you were using computers in the early days like me. I had GEnie account in 1984 on my Atari 800 computer with 1200 baud modem.

Station Eleven. This is a limited series on HBO Max. Most likely will only be one season. Has Mackenzie Davis who was also in Halt and Catch Fire. This is post virus/plague apocalypse drama that I was not expecting to like. The post apocalypse concept has been over done and spoiled for me by absolutely horrendous shows like the War of the Worlds and recent seasons of TWD. So I went in not expecting much and got sucked right in by the clever writing and plot. Without spoiling things the plot is easy to follow, yet follows a lot of interwoven subplots all tied together in a unique way. So I recommend this one too (and not War of the Worlds LOL)

#2195 1 year ago
Quoted from Gunnut40:

Yep sure did. We need some more baseball bat goodness. Not this candy land bull butter! Hopefully warrior will be good when it comes back.

Warrior is money in the bank,I hope?I watched this right after watching HBO's Deadwood with the wifey.We were on a roll as for as series go!Warrior is so good!

#2196 1 year ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

TWD was appointment tv for us for years. We stopped watching when only a couple major original cast members were left.. around the whisperer era? I can't remember what they were called. We were even watching the after show.
They got really into building a universe and a brand while the show simultaneously suffered. Amazing how far it fell, but yet remains pretty culturally relevant. At least the machine is good!
The other show we just gave up on was lost. We watched all but the last season. I guess the penultimate season drained our interest hard. We tried picking it up where we left it, but the interest just isn't there, and now there's just too much other good stuff out there.

We quit watching when Coral was in back of delivery truck with machine gun ready to slay Negan.The door flys open and he doesn't kill him and then hangs out with them.Wtf was that shit!

#2197 1 year ago

I just watched Rings of power, there is five hundred million dollars right there. I look forward to the next 500; I mean season two. (Don’t know the cost of season two, making an assumption)

I recommend it for fans of middle earth. For Those fans (like myself) it’s a must.

Next is season three of twin peaks and then warrior perhaps both.

#2198 1 year ago
Quoted from gweempose:

There was a point where I felt that Fear TWD had actually become better than the original, but that show has devolved into crap as well. The most recent storyline with the nukes is beyond stupid! I haven't even bothered watching the most recent spinoff with the teenagers.

I found myself as the prop master on the newest season of FTWD. Not going to argue your point above. I really enjoyed working with this group and as an outsider, they have been very welcoming and professional. Consider giving the new season a watch.

#2200 1 year ago

Welcome to Wrexham -

Watch it! I love it

There are 3,813 posts in this topic. You are on page 44 of 77.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/im-trying-to-find-a-new-tv-series-to-watch/page/44 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.