• 3,830 posts
  • 437 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 hours ago by jrockne
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

nick foot (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-23 at 20-55-22 Nose Boy Is Yet Another Bit From Dan Schneider That Seems Inappropriate Now (resized).png
IMG_2115 (resized).png
we-are-lady-parts-peacock-poster (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
5675773ab24117888a271de4334cd519 (resized).jpg
download.jpeg
Fallout (resized).jpg
IMG_1903 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0049 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6661.gif
2006-The-Departed-03-2254582836 (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-03-21 at 16-45-23 3 Body Problem (2024) (resized).png
There are 3,830 posts in this topic. You are on page 40 of 77.
#1951 1 year ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

absolutely do not watch ST Discovery - it's became so preachy it was unwatchable

The only problem with discovery is the main actress she can’t act. Her actions as a character is totally ruining that show.
Of the 10 Orville episodes, I think 5 were about lgbtq issues and discrimination. The male bashing was pretty pathetic. Idealizing issac as a perfect mate. I wonder if that’s why they did the stalker episode with the Malloy character marring the girl in the past.

#1952 1 year ago
Quoted from Mrbill:

The only problem with discovery is the main actress she can’t act.

Yep. Sucks that the only character I don't like is the captain and her boyfriend. Everyone else rocks.

#1953 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Have any of you trekies on this here watched "Star Trek Continues", a series based on the original show? If my memory serves me correctly, they recreated the sets based on original drawings. Actors did an excellent job for the most part (McCoy had a sub actor for a couple of shows until the casted actor could show up). Scotty's even played by the original actor's son and does an amazing job. Sulu is played by Grant from the MytherBusters. Even the mannerisms of Kirk are well done by the actor portraying him. Filmed in original 4:3 screen format to keep it original.
I really enjoyed watching it, definitely reminded me of the original show.
https://www.startrekcontinues.com/episodes.html
Axanar is another Star Trek fan film. Paramount largely ignored the fan made films, but supposedly it was so well done, Paramount reeled them in, even after giving them permission. Legal battles ensued and Axanar was allowed to make a short film instead of a full length movie. They just wrapped up filming.

never heard of it
Honestly, was never a fan of the original series ... TNG got me into it
Tried to go back and watch the original and could not make it past an episode or 2

#1954 1 year ago
Quoted from TiltingT:

If you have never seen Future Man in HULU give it a shot , me and the wife absolutely loved that series

Loved the first, 2nd season went down hill for me and I dropped it

#1955 1 year ago
Quoted from Mrbill:

I think it was far more heavy handed this season than any season fo discovery
episode 1: hating people is bad

The only problem with discovery is the main actress she can’t act. Her actions as a character is totally ruining that show.
Of the 10 Orville episodes, I think 5 were about lgbtq issues and discrimination. The male bashing was pretty pathetic. Idealizing issac as a perfect mate. I wonder if that’s why they did the stalker episode with the Malloy character marring the girl in the past.

Disagree .... Discovery started off very strong then they decided to shove social justice in your face and the writing got horrible. I have no problem with social issues they presented .... just don't need them to be so in my face it detracts from the sci-fi i came to watch. Discovery just became unwatchable

#1956 1 year ago

never heard of it
Honestly, was never a fan of the original series ... TNG got me into it
Tried to go back and watch the original and could not make it past an episode or 2

I've watched Star Trek Continues, it was a pretty good fan-based show - they did a good job of capturing the feeling. I wish they had better actors for Sulu and Spock, but they do get some characters right. It's a fun little romp for the couple of episodes they have done.

#1957 1 year ago

Disagree .... Discovery started off very strong then they decided to shove social justice in your face and the writing got horrible. I have no problem with social issues they presented .... just don't need them to be so in my face it detracts from the sci-fi i came to watch. Discovery just became unwatchable

discovery became unwatchable when they killed off their best character, michelle yeoh.

#1958 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

I've watched Star Trek Continues, it was a pretty good fan-based show - they did a good job of capturing the feeling. I wish they had better actors for Sulu and Spock, but they do get some characters right. It's a fun little romp for the couple of episodes they have done.

I never even heard of the fan based StarTrek shows until I stumbled upon them on YouTube. Holy cow, there's a bunch of them!

Sulu and Spock - yep...those two characters came to mind as they didn't quite hit the mark. But it was neat that Grant Imahar (RIP) was a part of the show nonetheless.

#1959 1 year ago

Yeah, some of them are pretty good - at least when comparing to ToS shows.

#1960 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

Funny you mention that one - I was going to point to it specifically as a very well-written episode that at first, I groaned about - oh no, another retread idea. But it wasn't.

The mortality paradox was also enjoyable.. felt very black mirror starting out.

Also when they did the old west hologram world, I was half expecting Seth to make a "million ways to die in the west" reference. He loves to cross over things:

#1961 1 year ago

Can these be old series as well?

#1962 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

Can these be old series as well?

Yep, the only rule is the series has to be "GOOD"!

#1963 1 year ago

Old?
Damages
Carnivale

Tons of others that I'm sure have been mentioned repeatedly here.

#1964 1 year ago

North and South
BBC Poirot
Foyle's War
The Office (American)
Coupling (BBC):
https://www.snotr.com/video/2034/Jeff_meets_a_beautiful_girl

Battlestar Galactica (the newer one, even though I don't like it)
Grant (mini-series)
Upload
Twin Peaks
XFiles
The West Wing
Elementary
Sherlock Holmes (BBC)

#1965 1 year ago
Quoted from Irishbastard:

So disappointed in this season of Umbrella Academy, almost unwatchable. Loved Mindhunter, wish they would continue it.

Totally agree about Umbrella Academy - they should just kill this series as S3 was so desperate for a plot why continue?

It’s an odd super hero show and I enjoyed S1 and S2 but it’s not for everybody - S3 was such a dud….what a shame

#1966 1 year ago
Quoted from Oscope:

Totally agree about Umbrella Academy - they should just kill this series as S3 was so desperate for a plot why continue?
It’s an odd super hero show and I enjoyed S1 and S2 but it’s not for everybody - S3 was such a dud….what a shame

Just started watching it based off what was mentioned here. Just skip S3, huh?

#1967 1 year ago
Quoted from Oscope:

season 4 confirmed as last one. it has a good premise but sometimes the dialog and story just drags. im barely done with season 2.

#1968 1 year ago
Quoted from TiltingT:

If you have never seen Future Man in HULU give it a shot , me and the wife absolutely loved that series

I thought Future Man Season 1 was absolute GOLD. But man it took some fuuuucked turns and I thought season 3 was a waste of my life.

#1969 1 year ago

I like Jack Ryan. Oh, and if you haven't seen it, Reacher is a MUST.

#1970 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

Just started watching it based off what was mentioned here. Just skip S3, huh?

Yes, horrible.

#1971 1 year ago

Weirdly, I quite enjoyed season 3 of the Umbrella Academy. I guess everyone is different.

I totally agree about Futureman. Season 1 was absolutely brilliant. I stopped watching season 2 halfway through. I could barely follow it.

I’m four episodes into Sandman right now and really have been enjoying it.

#1972 1 year ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Weirdly, I quite enjoyed season 3 of the Umbrella Academy. I guess everyone is different.
I totally agree about Futureman. Season 1 was absolutely brilliant. I stopped watching season 2 halfway through. I could barely follow it.
I’m four episodes into Sandman right now and really have been enjoying it.

Note that episode 10 is the season finale, episode 11 is like side stories. I think one of them is to set up a character for season 2 if there is one.

#1973 1 year ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

season 4 confirmed as last one. it has a good premise but sometimes the dialog and story just drags. im barely done with season 2.

Vanya and Vyktor are both annoying.Eat a couple cheeseburgers and quit fucking whining already!!

#1974 1 year ago

Just now watching Sandman. Boring! 4 episodes so far of breathy whipers, angst, far away looks. I've read his graphic novels, and it's just as boring. Desatured 90s color grading, too. I know I'm in the minority. They should have done Kingdom Come instead.

#1975 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

Just now watching Sandman. Boring! 4 episodes so far of breathy whipers, angst, far away looks. I've read his graphic novels, and it's just as boring. Desatured 90s color grading, too. I know I'm in the minority. They should have done Kingdom Come instead.

I'm a big fan of Gaiman's novels and short fiction, and I'm sort of right there with you. I think the show is beautifully made, but I just can't quite bring myself to give a crap about what happens to this character.

I'll finish it because I'm a completist like that; we'll see if it manages to get me more invested after more episodes.

#1976 1 year ago
Quoted from EternitytoM83:

I'm a big fan of Gaiman's novels and short fiction, and I'm sort of right there with you. I think the show is beautifully made, but I just can't quite bring myself to give a crap about what happens to this character.
I'll finish it because I'm a completist like that; we'll see if it manages to get me more invested after more episodes.

I finished it, because like you I'm a completist, and because I was hoping things would pick up. Neil has a huge following, so it must just be me. But it didn't go anywhere, no character arc, just a dry telling of events? Ah, well. I've seen it at least.

#1977 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

I finished it, because like you I'm a completist, and because I was hoping things would pick up. Neil has a huge following, so it must just be me. But it didn't go anywhere, no character arc, just a dry telling of events? Ah, well. I've seen it at least.

There was a character arc, it was just subtle, but they called it out numerous times in the dialogue. It was definitely a slow burn and can see it not being for everyone. I thought it was good, but I am curious why if this is the same world as Lucifer they didn't have the same character play (that being). This season was a set up for next season, which...sounds like it is not happening(?)

#1978 1 year ago

I really enjoyed The Orville too - each episode has a message, kinda like the old Fat Albert cartoons.

And I liked the modern-day relevance, like the episodes concerning Bortis' Moklin child, a girl, which is frowned upon and they changed her to a him, but he becomes confused and unsettled as a preteen and they deal with that.

Some might see that as shoving societal issues in your face but I thought it made for good storytelling.

My only complaint (now that it's produced by Hulu) is the occasional "Jesus Christ" or "God damn it" - not any kind of religious objection, but it just doesn't seem to fit w the characters.

#1979 1 year ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

My only complaint (now that it's produced by Hulu) is the occasional "Jesus Christ" or "God damn it" - not any kind of religious objection, but it just doesn't seem to fit w the characters.

What the frak are you talking about?

#1980 1 year ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

I’m not sure. I say these all the time. I have no religion.

#1981 1 year ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

thought that was a little odd also ... would figure in their future we are so far past religion that it would be out of the lexicon

#1982 1 year ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Well, they're just swearing because they're ALLOWED to now, on HULU - doesn't seem to fit w the characters, that's all.

I am gonna check out that Sandman show.

#1983 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

I Believe I am giving up on Sandman, Sat through the diner episode last night, that was enough for me.

#1984 1 year ago

I Believe I am giving up on Sandman, Sat through the diner episode last night, that was enough for me.

Rotten tomatoes on the sandman.
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/the_sandman/s01

Critics and fans say they like it. I myself enjoyed it but the diner was a hard bump. It’s fairly faithful to the comic.
In my opinion the wrap up was like a neat bow.

#1985 1 year ago

I was a huge fan of the Sandman comics and have read the series through several times. The show is extremely faithful to the comics - to a fault. I was reminded of my experience viewing The Watchmen. In that it turns out that a panel-for-panel translation of your favorite comic to the screen - which is what you thought you always wanted - makes for an oddly paced and sometimes unengaging experience. I enjoyed watching it well enough and will watch Season 2 if they make one. But I'm not sure what I'd have made of it if I weren't already a fan of the comics.

I will say the casting was pretty much spot-on except for the Sandman himself. That actor certainly looks the part, and Morpheus is probably a tough role to play. But I just wasn't drawn in by his performance. The rest of the cast were all pretty great though, with a special shout out to the Corinthian.

#1986 1 year ago

That episode was hard to sit through. Ugh. But, again, most disagree, so I yield to the greater consensus. Oh, and Lion King also sucked ass.

#1987 1 year ago

That's the one that spans time right? I really liked that one lol. Of course, just like the guy who had the ruby, I thought there'd be some future setup that it was for, and really...amounted to nothing. There was no 'big bad' in this season which I think is why people thought it was slow and un-engaging. The 'quest' was really glossed over and went quickly.

#1988 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

That's the one that spans time right? I really liked that one lol. Of course, just like the guy who had the ruby, I thought there'd be some future setup that it was for, and really...amounted to nothing. There was no 'big bad' in this season which I think is why people thought it was slow and un-engaging. The 'quest' was really glossed over and went quickly.

If you're waiting on a "big bad" you're in for a long slog! That's not really what The Sandman's about ...

#1989 1 year ago

Ok, I just watched the diner episode of Sandman. I really liked it. But I like shows and episodes that are slow burns and build up the tension. My wife said it was her favorite episode to date. So, it just shows that tastes are different. Form your own opinion.

#1990 1 year ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Ok, I just watched the diner episode of Sandman. I really liked it. But I like shows and episodes that are slow burns and build up the tension. My wife said it was her favorite episode to date. So, it just shows that tastes are different. Form your own opinion.

You know, I think the diner was the turning point for me as well. After watching that episode and the following episode last night, I'm finally into this show.

#1991 1 year ago

The season of mists storyline was the main reason I liked sandman the comic. I would read through the issues that were covered in season one, just to get to the next arc.

The artwork was a lot like Bernie wrightson to me at the time.

Quoted from Nokoro:

There were uncomfortable topics all in over in the diner. I thought they did a good job with the translation to film. But I thought the last couple episodes really tied it all together with a neat bow.

#1992 1 year ago
Quoted from EternitytoM83:

You know, I think the diner was the turning point for me as well. After watching that episode and the following episode last night, I'm finally into this show.

It's odd, because I enjoy a lot of British television, where the pacing is a lot slower than in the US, like Foyle's War. But I was absolutely bored to tears, the diner was torture to get through. I know the Sandman comic, I've read several of the collected stories, but I could never get into it. The duel with the devil was a variation of the fight between Madam Mim and Merlin in 'The Sword in the Stone'.

#1993 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

It's odd, because I enjoy a lot of British television, where the pacing is a lot slower than in the US, like Foyle's War. But I was absolutely bored to tears, the diner was torture to get through. I know the Sandman comic, I've read several of the collected stories, but I could never get into it. The duel with the devil was a variation of the fight between Madam Mim and Merlin in 'The Sorcerer's Stone'.

It's the "The Sword in the Stone"
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#1994 1 year ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

It's the "The Sword in the Stone"

I’m sure Gaiman read The Sword in the Stone and saw the movie, but he might also have borrowed the “wizards’ duel” concept from plenty of other sources going back hundreds of years. A pretty classic way for two magic characters to show off their wits and exhibit their powers.

#1995 1 year ago

Watched the first episode of House of the Dragon last night. I know it’s getting mixed reviews but I was pleasantly surprised by the first episode, the acting’s good and it scratches that GOT itch. Will be interesting to see where it goes.

#1996 1 year ago

Watching the last episode of Saul tonight, sad to see it go.

#1997 1 year ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Watched the first episode of House of the Dragon last night. I know it’s getting mixed reviews but I was pleasantly surprised by the first episode, the acting’s good and it scratches that GOT itch. Will be interesting to see where it goes.

I enjoyed the first episode was excited to see it. I read that it set the record for the most viewed series premiere ever on HBO and is already renewed for a second season.

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/house-of-the-dragon-season-2-renewed-1235345810/

#1998 1 year ago

I finished Pennyworth (2 seasons) HBO Max. Season 2 had some cheese moments but im a Batman fan so I still enjoyed it. I'll definitely be watching season 3 when it's released in a few months.

Screenshot_20220827-171948_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220827-171948_Chrome (resized).jpg
#1999 1 year ago

Enjoyed Sean 1 and Season 3 of True Detective.
Now enjoying Black Bird - same vibe.

#2000 1 year ago
Quoted from GoodManners:

Enjoyed Sean 1 and Season 3 of True Detective.
Now enjoying Black Bird - same vibe.

I enjoyed Alexandra Daddoria in True Detective

There are 3,830 posts in this topic. You are on page 40 of 77.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/im-trying-to-find-a-new-tv-series-to-watch/page/40 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.