pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0049 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6661.gif
2006-The-Departed-03-2254582836 (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-03-21 at 16-45-23 3 Body Problem (2024) (resized).png
s-l1600aaa (resized).jpg
2222 (resized).jpg
There are 3,824 posts in this topic. You are on page 38 of 77.
#1851 1 year ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Severance deleted scenes with stephen colbert *spoiler alert*

I got excited until I saw it was colbert. I loved colbert's show when he was on comedy central. What happened to him? He's insufferable now.

#1852 1 year ago

Is he? Maybe getting The Late Show swelled his head?

#1853 1 year ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Is he? Maybe getting The Late Show swelled his head?

Could be the network rules, you never know.

#1854 1 year ago
Quoted from seenev:

I got excited until I saw it was colbert. I loved colbert's show when he was on comedy central. What happened to him? He's insufferable now.

I’ve never actually watched more than a few minutes of either of his shows. But obviously he was playing a character on his old show.

#1855 1 year ago

Better call Saul - perfect all the way through. For a while I wasn't sure whether Fargo or this was better but Fargo dropped the ball on season 4 and Saul was

#1857 1 year ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

Better call Saul - perfect all the way through. For a while I wasn't sure whether Fargo or this was better but Fargo dropped the ball on season 4 and Saul was

Saul dropped the baul on the final episode. His actions made absolutely no sense whatsoever. I get why they were supposed to, but nothing he did would make sense or Spoiler Alert

Change Kim’s legal situation.

#1858 1 year ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Saul dropped the baul on the final episode. His actions made absolutely no sense whatsoever. I get why they were supposed to, but nothing he did would make sense or Spoiler Alert
Change Kim’s legal situation.

Spoiler alert!

I thought the last episode was really good personally. I can't say I understand how every single piece fits but the way I see it is that a few times Jimmy was asking others about what they'd change if they had a time machine. Each time his own answers were shallow in pure Saul fashion, but later it was obvious that his one true regret was losing Kim.
Then he manages to pull off his deal in regular dishonest Saul fashion, but he hears Kim came clean and in the process is making herself liable for a lot of trouble.
So he decides that now is the time, he can either keep living with that regret or do the ultimate sacrifice. But now he has Kim's love (or at least respect) back and he's at peace with the things he wishes he would have liked to do differently.
Not that a real life Saul would ever do something like that, but I thought it was a good finale.

#1859 1 year ago
Quoted from seenev:

I guess you never figured out he playing a republican when he was on the daily show and then the colbert report. It was a comical opposite of the jon stewart show.

now he is very successful being himself. he was #1 on late night tv. I hear some late show called gutfeld on fox is very popular(3rd place). From the description it sounds like a comical take sending up liberals. Sounds like colberts old comedy central show.

I saw his bit on severance. Thought it was funny poking fun at it as a ripoff the office. But since I have not watched severance, I probably missed a lot of the humor of it.

#1860 1 year ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

I thought the last episode was really good personally.

From an entertainment standpoint the last four episodes were simply dreadful compared to the rest of the final season. That said, these episodes did wrap the show up and answer most or all of the questions and also nicely wrapped up the Breaking Bad universe at the same time.

#1861 1 year ago
Quoted from John_I:

From an entertainment standpoint the last four episodes were simply dreadful compared to the rest of the final season. That said, these episodes did wrap the show up and answer most or all of the questions and also nicely wrapped up the Breaking Bad universe at the same time.

My sentiments basically. The first half of the last season ending with Lalo”s arc was epic. Fring and Lalo were excellent characters, and I just wanted more. But Saul, with his falling on the sword for no reason whatsoever other than as a last minute redemption story, was just Hollywood nonsense, and something his character would instantly regret.

#1862 1 year ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

My sentiments basically. The first half of the last season ending with Lalo”s arc was epic. Fring and Lalo were excellent characters, and I just wanted more. But Saul, with his falling on the sword for no reason whatsoever other than as a last minute redemption story, was just Hollywood nonsense, and something his character would instantly regret.

It’s worth rewatching the last season of breaking bad for some good context, mainly the last couple of episodes. It had been years since I watched and there are some references to what happens in BCS that

The ending was a bit out of character, but I guess both of them finally just took responsibility for the lives they had led.

#1863 1 year ago
Quoted from Mrbill:

I hear some late show called gutfeld on fox is very popular(3rd place)

I've never watched the show but just read this week that it's been the #1 rated late night show during the last month.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/markjoyella/2022/08/16/fox-news-channels-greg-gutfeld-beats-stephen-colbert-to-claim-title-as-ratings-king-of-late-night/

#1864 1 year ago

I wouldn't get too worked up about the lone "comedy" show for conservatives' ratings, when it's the only choice there for them. The other shows all have to share the opposite audience.

#1865 1 year ago

House of dragon. Who is watching this tomorrow?

#1866 1 year ago
Quoted from Gunnut40:

Is it a once a week episode or are they all getting dropped at once?

#1867 1 year ago
Quoted from Gunnut40:

Absolutely… though it is gonna suck having to watch them once a week.

#1868 1 year ago
Quoted from Lermods:

The ending was a bit out of character, but I guess both of them finally just took responsibility for the lives they had led.

Well, Walter White had terminal cancer, a family, and was a completely different person before he broke bad. Plus, he was more directly responsible for the carnage inflicted on innocent people then Saul was. I just think if you’re going to give up the rest of your life to prison, it should be for something. Like maybe if it kept Kim from doing serious time. What he did was just plain Hollywood stupid and lazy writing in a show that had great writing for the most part. Reminded me of Game of Thrones season 8.

Edit: Maybe they can do a Better Call Saul movie where he gets his conviction thrown out on appeal based on lawyer incompetence or a temporary insanity defense.

#1869 1 year ago
Quoted from Gunnut40:

I’ll watch it but I’m not expecting much. Game of Thrones was only good up until they ran out of book material. Isn’t it the same two guys that botched the end of GOT? I don’t know why they set it hundreds of years ago in characters we’re not invested in. It would have been much better to set it during the reign of the Mad King and the war with a young Ned Stark and Robert Baratheon. That’s what everyone wanted.

#1870 1 year ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Maybe they can do a Better Call Saul movie where he gets his conviction thrown out based on lawyer incompetence or a temporary insanity defense.

The chanting on the bus and other scenes basically showed him to be where he belongs. As a resident jailhouse criminal lawyer he will literally be the king by helping others and scamming the system. He will be untouchable because everyone will want his help and advice.

#1871 1 year ago
Quoted from John_I:

The chanting on the bus and other scenes basically showed him to be where he belongs. As a resident jailhouse criminal lawyer he will literally be the king by helping others and scamming the system. He will be untouchable because everyone will want his help and advice.

Yeah that’s great for a Hollywood ending. But what lawyer in his right mind would prefer life in prison over 7 years? Better to be jailhouse king for 7 years and then have options, than life with no options. Lazy Hollywood writing, Game of Thrones season 8 style all wrapped up in a neat little bow. That’s Hallmark channel level writing.

#1872 1 year ago

Only 3 more days until a new season of the only TV show that matters

archer_tvshows (resized).jpgarcher_tvshows (resized).jpg

#1873 1 year ago

The Bear Hulu

#1874 1 year ago

I understand what they were trying to do with the ending of better call saul, but to me it just didn't work. Breaking Bad ended in a satisfying way that wasn't really surprising, but it felt right. It was inevitable. Better call saul didn't have the benefit of inevitability. Everyone basically went into the finale with no idea what might happen, and they forced a character redemption through really impractical means.

He could have changed for the better without spending his life in prison. He already had a deal. He could have just kept his deal, spent a few years in prison, and then become a productive member of society. Is it really supposed to be better than he'll spend his entire life as a drain on society in prison? He got Kim's respect... I guess that makes it worth it. Glad the taxpayers will be paying to house him for decades so that Kim could respect him again.

It was a great show, but it had its flaws and the ending just didn't work the way they thought it would.

#1875 1 year ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

I’ll watch it but I’m not expecting much. Game of Thrones was only good up until they ran out of book material. Isn’t it the same two guys that botched the end of GOT? I don’t know why they set it hundreds of years ago in characters we’re not invested in. It would have been much better to set it during the reign of the Mad King and the war with a young Ned Stark and Robert Baratheon. That’s what everyone wanted.

I watched it tonight. I set my expectations to high (and they were pretty low to start with).
I didn't care for the camera work (the overhead "Drone " type shots got old REALLY fast). To much time talking at the table, the music is meh, didn't really care much for any of the characters.

That said, I didn't care much for the first episode of GOT, but I did get hooked after three or four episodes.
I will watch a few more episodes, but it's going to have to get a lot better for me to keep watching it.

#1876 1 year ago
Quoted from seenev:

I understand what they were trying to do with the ending of better call saul, but to me it just didn't work. Breaking Bad ended in a satisfying way that wasn't really surprising, but it felt right. It was inevitable. Better call saul didn't have the benefit of inevitability. Everyone basically went into the finale with no idea what might happen, and they forced a character redemption through really impractical means.
He could have changed for the better without spending his life in prison. He already had a deal. He could have just kept his deal, spent a few years in prison, and then become a productive member of society. Is it really supposed to be better than he'll spend his entire life as a drain on society in prison? He got Kim's respect... I guess that makes it worth it. Glad the taxpayers will be paying to house him for decades so that Kim could respect him again.
It was a great show, but it had its flaws and the ending just didn't work the way they thought it would.

Spot on. Yeah, he got Kim’s respect. Then he goes back to his cell while she goes to Red Lobster with Dufus and then back home for some awkward sex and off putting grunting noises.(for those that watched the show you’ll get the reference)

#1877 1 year ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

I wouldn't get too worked up about the lone "comedy" show for conservatives' ratings, when it's the only choice there for them. The other shows all have to share the opposite audience.

Update - took a look at the one mentioned. Horribly unfunny and bland.

#1878 1 year ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Only 3 more days until a new season of the only TV show that matters
[quoted image]

You know, I loved Archer. Season TWO was the height of the show. I noticed that they slowly went away from the sex, and sex jokes, to just the rest - it was the sex stuff, like Swiss Miss, that made it a hit. Who can forget Skytanic? Or Archer's encounter with Framboise?

#1879 1 year ago

I just finished DC Titans on HBO Max (3 seasons). I'm a Batman fan so I really enjoyed it.

#1880 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

So he’s captured the Jay Leno energy! People loved that guy …

#1881 1 year ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

So he’s captured that Jay Leno energy! People loved that guy …

I was mystified to hear recently how other comics love the crap out of Leno. Maybe you had to be there, back in the day.

Quoted from MtnFrost:

Perfect for those with no sense of humor!

#1882 1 year ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

So he’s captured that Jay Leno energy! People loved that guy …

I never watched Leno, so hard to say. But if Leno was unfunny, if his jokes were weak at best, ham-fisted, and fell flat on delivery, then yes.

#1883 1 year ago

Not sure if this has ever been mentioned, but if you are in the mood for something different fuck'd up watch Yellowjackets on Showtime. I didn't expect much from it, but it was great. Kind of a mix of Alive and Lord of the Flies.

#1884 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

You know, I loved Archer. Season TWO was the height of the show. I noticed that they slowly went away from the sex, and sex jokes, to just the rest - it was the sex stuff, like Swiss Miss, that made it a hit. Who can forget Skytanic? Or Archer's encounter with Framboise?

Interesting I thought Archer Vice was the pinnacle. It's still good, but not as good over all.

#1885 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Interesting I thought Archer Vice was the pinnacle. It's still good, but not as good over all.

Vice was great, but season 8 "Dreamland" was the best! And it defiantly had the best animation of the series.

Edit: Added trailer.

#1886 1 year ago

Not sure if “Chernobyl” on HBO has been mentioned but wow did they hit the ball outta the park on this (short) series.

Only 5 one hour’ish episodes so doesn’t take much of your time but WELL worth it!

Highly recommend the podcast that accompanied the series as well.

#1887 1 year ago

My reply:

#1888 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

The last two seasons were meh, but the last season did have to deal with the death of Jessica Walter.

#1889 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

Not true Greg Gutfeld is a funny dude and the crew is great too

#1890 1 year ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Not true Greg Gutfeld is a funny dude and the crew is great too

I guess I just didn't see any humor. His delivery was horrible. Maybe it was just the one I saw. But I'm definitely the opposite of his target audience. I like rapier wit and good writing. The Daily Show, Colbert's former show, these are/were more my cup of tea.

#1891 1 year ago

Great series to watch, in no particular order, just things I've enjoyed recently:
1. Umbrella Academy
2. DEVS
3. Legion
4. Flea Bag
5. Maniac
6. The Boys
7. Mindhunter
8. Dark
9. Watchmen

Added 20 months ago:

10. Station Eleven

#1892 1 year ago
Quoted from MtnFrost:

I guess I just didn't see any humor. His delivery was horrible. Maybe it was just the one I saw. But I'm definitely the opposite of his target audience. I like rapier wit and good writing. The Daily Show, Colbert's former show, these are/were more my cup of tea.

If your the opposite of his target audience probably one show was enough?I like to hear other viewpoints.
Now I can without a doubt state Jimmy Kimmel is not funny but does pander and fixate very well!
The dude was funny when he worked with Adam Corolla.Jimmy the hypocrite!!!

#1893 1 year ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Future productions perhaps!

#1894 1 year ago
Quoted from balt:

Great series to watch, in no particular order, just things I've enjoyed recently:
1. Umbrella Academy
2. DEVS
3. Legion
4. Flea Bag
5. Maniac
6. The Boys
7. Mindhunter
8. Dark
9. Watchmen

So disappointed in this season of Umbrella Academy, almost unwatchable. Loved Mindhunter, wish they would continue it.

#1895 1 year ago
Quoted from romulusx:

If your the opposite of his target audience probably one show was enough?I like to hear other viewpoints.
Now I can without a doubt state Jimmy Kimmel is not funny but does pander and fixate very well!
The dude was funny when he worked with Adam Corolla.Jimmy the hypocrite!!!

I used to listen to the Carolla podcast all the time years ago. It was a long form show and I had a lot of drive time. It was good, but started to get repetitive. I heard all of his stories. I still listened depending on the guest, but eventually he seemed to find his core audience with political stuff.

What might be entertaining is if Jimmy and Adam teamed up again to talk through issues from their respective sides.

Late night is pretty much dead to me now that Letterman is done. Craig Ferguson was really underrated, especially at that super late night spot.

#1896 1 year ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

I used to listen to the Carolla podcast all the time years ago. It was a long form show and I had a lot of drive time. It was good, but started to get repetitive. I heard all of his stories. I still listened depending on the guest, but eventually he seemed to find his core audience with political stuff.
What might be entertaining is if Jimmy and Adam teamed up again to talk through issues from their respective sides.
Late night is pretty much dead to me now that Letterman is done. Craig Ferguson was really underrated, especially at that super late night spot.

The old Loveline stuff is the best. Great dynamic between he and Dr Drew.
Got to meet Adam at a meet and greet for his Mangria many years back. Never tasted it, ended up giving the bottle away

#1897 1 year ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

The old Loveline stuff is the best. Great dynamic between he and Dr Drew.
Got to meet Adam at a meet and greet for his Mangria many years back. Never tasted it, ended up giving the bottle away

Yep, that was a good one too.

He also had a show on DIY network where he fixed up his dad's place. Pretty entertaining, especially if you'd heard him talk about his buddies before. Ray does not disappoint.

#1898 1 year ago

Back into Pinky Blinders.
Every time Tommy takes a swig, I do too.

#1899 1 year ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Yep, that was a good one too.
He also had a show on DIY network where he fixed up his dad's place. Pretty entertaining, especially if you'd heard him talk about his buddies before. Ray does not disappoint.

Yes! Watched it, very good.

#1900 1 year ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

The last two seasons were meh, but the last season did have to deal with the death of Jessica Walter.

Here's how I view it with Archer. It is tough, really tough, to keep a really great thing going, year after year for an extended run. You can only go to the well so many times before it starts to get repetitive, unimaginative, and eventually not funny. Some exceptional examples pulled it off for a long time, such as Seinfeld, and Simpsons for a long time (although it did bottom out IMO and I stopped watching it years ago).

The creators knew this, and they knew they ran out of gas. They were ready to just roll it up and call it quits, but the fanbase begged for more. So, they decided to just go completely off-script and just go nuts doing different things. And some of it was way out there. Then, they were going to quit again, but again they got an extension, and from what I understand, they said OK, we'll go with it, we have some ideas to keep it going, but be prepared for more diversions that you may or may not like.

So, is it the same as it was in the beginning? No, and it never will be. That was lightning in a bottle. But still to me, its pretty damn funny and the characters are idiots, and the stupidest and worst Archer episode is still far better than 99% of the crap on TV.

If you disagree, well...

archer_idiots (resized).pngarcher_idiots (resized).png

There are 3,824 posts in this topic. You are on page 38 of 77.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/im-trying-to-find-a-new-tv-series-to-watch/page/38 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.