• 3,830 posts
  • 437 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 hours ago by jrockne
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

nick foot (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-23 at 20-55-22 Nose Boy Is Yet Another Bit From Dan Schneider That Seems Inappropriate Now (resized).png
IMG_2115 (resized).png
we-are-lady-parts-peacock-poster (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
5675773ab24117888a271de4334cd519 (resized).jpg
download.jpeg
Fallout (resized).jpg
IMG_1903 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0049 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6661.gif
2006-The-Departed-03-2254582836 (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-03-21 at 16-45-23 3 Body Problem (2024) (resized).png
There are 3,830 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 77.
#51 7 years ago

Master of None. Only one season so far but it was excellent.

#52 7 years ago

I think a lot of people have suggested really good shows. You mentioned breaking bad, house of cards and GOT. Some may start slow (except for GOT), but if you can get through both seconds seasons of HofC and BB, you will be hooked. GOT is an absolute must and probably the best show I have seen, close to or better than lost in my opinion.

#53 7 years ago

Orphan black

#54 7 years ago

Dexter is crazy good

#55 7 years ago

Yes. Thanks.

I think my problem is trying to be hooked after 1-2 episodes.

I have watched Justified, Homeland, many others just 1-2 episodes in.

It was same for me with Breaking Bad where I didn't like it until I was already 10-20 episodes in but then I loved it.

#56 7 years ago

Any advice if I should continue with Twin Pesks?

#57 7 years ago

I just finished Mad Men and I wasn't blown away by the first couple episodes but for some reason I couldn't stop watching. Now that I have finished all 7 seasons I have to put it up there with shows like Sopranos, Breaking Bad and The wire. When you say you are looking for a show that you will be glad you stuck with I think Mad Men is definitely what I would recommend. It turned into this sprawling intricate show much like Sopranos.

Other shows I have binge watched lately that I thought were very entertaining:

Stranger Things (Loved it, Awesome, Nostalgic and only 8 or 9 episodes)

Justified (One of my personal favorites, Raylon and Boyd are two of the coolest characters ever)

Ray Donovan (Bad Ass)

Californicaton (David Duchovny and his dead pan humor are cool as hell)

Penny Dreadful (I watched this in the fall around Halloween and it was surprisingly great, you won't be able to take your eyes off of Eva Green)

The Marvel stuff on Netflix are all good except the Iron Fist.

Sons of Anarchy and The Shield have fallen on my list but are still good and have some great moments.

Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead almost go without saying. I didn't binge watch them. They are a couple of the few shows I watch live.

#58 7 years ago

Didn't see it mentioned here but I just finished off season 2 of The Man in High Castle on Amazon prime......really love the story on this one. The tie in with Hitler, the Chinese, and America......some butterfly effect action....solid cast so far. It is slightly fantastical but it's working for me.

#59 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballerchef:

Didn't see it mentioned here but I just finished off season 2 of The Man in High Castle on Amazon prime......really love the story on this one. The tie in with Hitler, the Chinese, and America......some butterfly effect action....solid cast so far. It is slightly fantastical but it's working for me.

I just watched episodes 1-2 of High Castle.

Kind of ok, Maybe need to give it a longer look.

Narcos is very good just saw season - but very interesting.

#60 7 years ago

My favorites are:

Ray Donovan
House of cards
Homeland
Game of thrones

#61 7 years ago

Great shows not mentioned yet:

Silicon Valley
Peaky Blinders
Nurse Jackie
Orange is the New Black

If it looked like you were into full-blown comedies I'd have a bunch more suggestions!

#62 7 years ago

I just recently tried and really like Terminator the Sahara Connors Chronicles.

#63 7 years ago

Another recommendation for Orphan Black on BBC America (also on Amazon Prime and a few other places) - a great show that blends sci-fi, mystery, action, and an amazing actress in the lead(s) role. No, not a typo! It's final (fifth) season starts in June, so plenty of time to catch up.

Game of Thrones on HBO is also exceptional, and has been mentioned many times.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned The Americans on FX.

And I agree, Fargo on FX is always a good time.

As for comedies, Silicon Valley on HBO is top notch as is Catastrophe on Amazon.

And since no one, probably on purpose, has mentioned any reality shows, two worth watching (I can't stand most of them) are Shark Tank on ABC and Master Chef Junior on Fox.

#64 7 years ago

Twin peaks is an amazing show. Strangely, I found myself thinking back on how important to the medium twin peaks was/is. Most newer shows seem to owe something to twin peaks. I remember watching the premier on tv. Strange premiere. What a phenomenon but burned out quickly too. It seemed to capture everyone's attention, then lose it all, fast.

Mad men what a show. Why do I like it? I don't know. I like the cast. A great show.

Dexter is good too, californication, great show.

#65 7 years ago

Deadwood. Best villan ever.
Cocksuckers!

#66 7 years ago

Reality tv has captivated me since my stroke and three brain surgeries. I no longer care to watch horror, my passion. I think I may have had enough horror now at 49. I like the very good stuff still, and I am rewarding a bunch.

Now I like comedy and reality. And shorter run times.

I like pit bulls and parolees, I like Alaskan outback people and I like the Bigfoot hunters. I also dabbled in oak island and find that interesting. Naked and afraid and survivor still fun.

Kardashians... I had never even seen the show before now yes I have seen it. I don't find it all that offensive but I am amazed that they make a show out of it. Pretty much a show about nothing, or about those sisters and thier weird ass family.

I am sort of looking forward to seeing what they do with thier pinball episode. I'm sure it will be silly, but still want to see how they spin it. They filmed that episode near me at ayce Gogi in la. It should cause a stir. (Kind of already has)

I love the t & a. It happens, I'm a man baby.

Also liked black sails but I am watching season 3 and it has jumped the shark for me. I loved 1 & 2 seasons but three... Is making me not like it.

Could just be the new post brain surgery me, or maybe it is not so good after 2.

Really trying to avoid all spoilers here.

#67 7 years ago

Deadwood is bad ass. I hated to see that go. I wouldn't be suprised to see another season of deadwood someday. Seems to have a big enough following after the fact and most of the actors are still around?

#68 7 years ago

I'm sorry I should have mentioned my personal favorite show of the last few years was river monsters. I used to throw away my old t shirts but after Jeremy wade, I stopped throwing them away.

Anyways great show. Last season this year but almost every single episode was good to me. I can watch some of them again and again.

I really like the places I get to see, that I will never visit. I guess that is true of many shows.

#69 7 years ago

Forgot to mention... If you liked Deadwood and also liked twin peaks check out carnivale on HBO...

#70 7 years ago

Highly recommended:

1. Homeland

This is a great show if you like a white-knuckle ride and mentally imbalanced people having sex. Oddly, it predicts the future by depicting events a few weeks before they happen in real life.

2. Veep

It will take you about 4 episodes to identify with the cast, but if you like a cringing the night away comedy, you will love it.

3. Westworld

Watch the original movie, then the sequel Futureworld before watching this. Great fun.

4. Outlander

If you like a lot of time travel and raping in your series, then you will love this one. Watch with your wife, but not the kids.

5. Doctor Who

You won't live long enough to ever watch all 35 seasons, so start with the 2005 re-boot. Time travel without all of Outlander's rape. Make sure you download the separate Christmas specials for each season too.

6. Animals

Urban animals do drugs, have sex, and contemplate their own existence. Animated, but NOT for the family.

7. Better Call Saul

Highest rated TV series. Cringe city, but plenty of laughs to help you swallow it all.

8. Dexter

I know, the last episode sucked so hard.... but the first 6 seasons were stupid popcorn fun.

dr who (resized).jpgdr who (resized).jpg

#71 7 years ago

Vikings is a superb series.

Deadwood is great too but is left hanging when it got canceled.

I watched and enjoyed the mini-series Harley and the Davidson brothers.

Got bored with house of cards.

Man in the high castle is a slow burn. The premise is intriguing but it just doesn't grab me like I think it should.

Stanger things is great.

Though I watched all of season one Santa Monica diet I can't recommend it.

If you are interested in light fare, archer can't be beat.

#72 7 years ago

Dang vid doctor who.

Of course, I agree that the reboot is a good place to start. Very good show for everyone, kids and the ladies. An amazing show, brought current with every new season.

I had extreme difficulty watching the old show, but the creative direction, I e monsters, were always amazing.

I think they need to make a movie superman vs the daleks. Maybe then there might be a good superman movie...

Superman dr who, but the bbc doesn't need superman. The daleks don't need superman. He probably couldn't stop them anyways.

#73 7 years ago

Another vote for Vikings. It is a History channel series. You can watch it on Hulu or Amazon.

#74 7 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

Deadwood is bad ass. I hated to see that go. I wouldn't be suprised to see another season of deadwood someday. Seems to have a big enough following after the fact and most of the actors are still around?

David Milch is currently writing the Deadwood movie.

#75 7 years ago

Another that just occurred to me, Six Feet Under.

#76 7 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

David Milch is currently writing the Deadwood movie.

I think the actors all became expensive enough that it killed the series. Supposedly the most expensive show per episode ever.

#77 7 years ago

Another good series is Rome (only 2 seasons) which is included with an Amazon Prime membership. I really wish they had created another couple of seasons for this series.

Gord

#78 7 years ago

I don't think anyone mentioned Hannibal yet, have they? That's my choice for sure. Mads Mikklesen takes the good doctor in a completely different direction than Anthony Hopkins (or Brian Cox if you're a completist) did. Pure, charming evil. Definitely not for the faint of heart.

Also not for the faint of heart: The Knick on Cinemax. All about The Knickerbocker hospital in NY around the turn of the century, with a special focus on Dr. Thacker: genius surgeon with an insatiable coke addiction. Also stars Bono's daughter as an innocent-but-trying-real-hard-not-to-be nurse!

Finally, if you haven't seen Party Down, get a subscription to Hulu and watch it RIGHT NOW. Spend two incredible seasons with the Party Down Catering Company as each episode has them hosting a different party in LA. An unbelievable cast (Adam Scott! Lizzy Caplan! Ken Marino! Jane Lynch right before Glee fame!) with an unbeatable premise. Two seasons, twenty episodes that go by way too quickly.

#79 7 years ago

Oh my god, how did I forget about my favorite show EVER?

Terriers!!! Donal Logue and Michael Raymond James as two San Diego P.I.s, solving cases big and small. Waaaaaaaaay bigger than they originally anticipated, in fact.

Such a good show that nobody watched. "Terriers" does make sense after you watch it... but a much better title would have been "Beach Dicks".

#80 7 years ago

A lot of good me mentions in here and seems many of us have similar tastes.
I'll throw out Ripper Street and Baskets. First is set around finding Jack the Ripper and other crimes in 1890s London, the second has Zach Galafakis as a basically out of work clown.
Friend at work suggested Live PD on A&E to me. The episodes are longer but unpredictable, it's much like Cops.

#81 7 years ago

Some "oddball" ones I enjoyed:

From the UK:
-Misfits (Crazy show!)
-Utopia (Just two seasons = 12 episodes total. This show hooked me with the first episode and entertained me to the last.)
-Being Human (There was also a US/Canada re-make that started out as a lame copy, but eventually did its own thing and became pretty decent.)

From the States/Canada:
-Dead Like Me
-Pushing Daisies
-Wonderfalls (Only lasted one season)

-Supernatural (I've gone back and forth with this one over the years sometimes watching lots of episodes and then taking breaks. It's probably time to revisit it again. I bet I'm at least a couple of years behind by now.)

#82 7 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

I don't think anyone mentioned Hannibal yet, have they? That's my choice for sure. Mads Mikklesen takes the good doctor in a completely different direction than Anthony Hopkins (or Brian Cox if you're a completist) did. Pure, charming evil. Definitely not for the faint of heart.
Also not for the faint of heart: The Knick on Cinemax. All about The Knickerbocker hospital in NY around the turn of the century, with a special focus on Dr. Thacker: genius surgeon with an insatiable coke addiction. Also stars Bono's daughter as an innocent-but-trying-real-hard-not-to-be nurse!
Finally, if you haven't seen Party Down, get a subscription to Hulu and watch it RIGHT NOW. Spend two incredible seasons with the Party Down Catering Company as each episode has them hosting a different party in LA. An unbelievable cast (Adam Scott! Lizzy Caplan! Ken Marino! Jane Lynch right before Glee fame!) with an unbeatable premise. Two seasons, twenty episodes that go by way too quickly.

All excellent choices.

#83 7 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

Another good series is Rome (only 2 seasons) which is included with an Amazon Prime membership. I really wish they had created another couple of seasons for this series.
Gord

Rome is right up there with Deadwood for me, my two all time favs.

#84 7 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

I had forgotten about Party Down. That was a good one!

#85 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptK:

I had forgotten about Party Down. That was a good one!

There's this pop culture site that I really love (The AV Club) and they were just talking about the episode where they cater the Young Republicans Convention, and now I'm hankering for a rewatch!

#86 7 years ago

Agreed on Dexter, great characters and very well written. Hard to believe you're cheering for a serial killer.

The one I like a lot, that I haven't seen mentioned is "Turn, Washington's Spies". Terrific characters, and plots, that almost give you the feeling of living through the Revolutionary war.

#87 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I just wish Mike wasn't so old he's starting to look like Gollum.

What's old got to do with it? He's a bad mofo & I bet he could kick your ass!!

#88 7 years ago

I'm liking Hell on Wheels. Only in the first season, but it is entertaining so far.

#89 7 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

What's old got to do with it? He's a bad mofo & I bet he could kick your ass!!

Guess so, but he's supposed to be playing someone in his late 50's when he looks every bit of 70.

#90 7 years ago

I only watch reality TV:

mlb_extra_innings_header (resized).jpgmlb_extra_innings_header (resized).jpg

#91 7 years ago

If you have Amazon Prime try "The Man in the High Castle".

#92 7 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

If you have Amazon Prime try "The Man in the High Castle".

Watched 2 episodes just seems meh so far.

I guess the bottom line is many shows you have to invest time watching many episodes before you can tell if you like it or not.

#93 7 years ago

Generally not into drama/suspense/action series
except maybe DeadWood.
More into Comedy and off-kilter programs
like a lot of IFC series, Portlandia , Moran and Documentry Now etc
30 minute attention span is about all my brain can handle
and where you do not have to remember plot twists
from what happened 3 episodes ago.

#94 7 years ago

I was watching Kingdom and Ice on DirecTV's Audience channel last season and became addicted to both. However they both abruptly seemed to come to an end. At least Kingdom is supposedly coming back for another season, but I am yet to see it.

#95 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballerchef:

The Man in High Castle on Amazon prime......really love the story on this one. The tie in with Hitler, the Chinese, and America...

I think them ain't the right orientals.

I like the show, but man, the two leads (Juliana and Joe) have no gravitas at all, and neither can act their way out of a paper bag, whatever that means. But Rufus Sewell as John Smith... magnetic. Dude owns every scene he's in.

#96 7 years ago

Supernatural
American Horror Story
Rick and Morty
Penny Dreadful
Dark Mirror
Humans

#97 7 years ago

I'll second Peaky Blinders. If you like gritty period pieces, give it a try.

#98 7 years ago

If you like something a bit out of the box, Black Mirror (on Netflix) is pretty out there...(corrected from Dark Mirror).
Certain seasons of American Horror Story (ie: Asylum, Freak Show and Murder House) are entertaining.
Bosch, The Leftovers, Westworld, Twin Peaks and Luke Cage are some more of our favourites.

#99 7 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

More into Comedy and off-kilter programs

Umm holy shit. KIDS IN THE HALL!!! Especially the first few seasons before it moved to the US and they had to sane it up a little.

Also, The Whitest Kids You Know. And maybe Picnicface.

These might all be a challenge to find if you don't stream.

#100 7 years ago

Prison break. Great show. Leaves you wanting to watch 1 more. They just started back after 7 years.

There are 3,830 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 77.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/im-trying-to-find-a-new-tv-series-to-watch/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.