(Topic ID: 32424)

I'm too cheap to buy a Molex crimping tool so now what...

By billybob

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by vid1900
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Molex_#63811-1000.jpg
    th_UncleKevin.jpg
    #1 11 years ago

Fixing my 9th pin and i had a some burning on a rec board and bought pins and housings to replace them.

I thought i could crimp them without a tool but cannot seem to do it.

I just plain dont want to spend any more money on tools ( i dont plan on repining much)

Any body have a mathod for crimping thsie things without the tool?

#2 11 years ago

Teeth.

LTG : )

#3 11 years ago

Yea - you can use a needle nose pliers and crimp down each side. Takes awhile to do it. I did that once before I spent $15 and bought a crimper from Bob Roberts (www.therealbobroberts.net). An essential tool in your pin repair tool box!

#5 11 years ago

If you're re-pinning the connectors to improve the connection between the pin and housing, why half ass the connection between the connector and wire?

Get the proper tool and do it once.

#6 11 years ago

You can always solder them...

#7 11 years ago

You can always solder them...

th_UncleKevin.jpgth_UncleKevin.jpg

#8 11 years ago

Congratulations billybob, you're CAPSB#1.

I just did two 11 pin GI connectors last night on STtNG. Luckily I had the crimper which crimps down on both the wire and the insulation at the same time. $27.50 would be a good investment in case you ever need to do any more connectors.

#9 11 years ago

I got some replacement trifurcon connectors and such to redo some connectors in ToM - do I need a specific kind of crimper for that? I have never crimped molex, I only have experience with ethernet crimping.

I don't mind spending a bit of money to get something well-made!

#10 11 years ago

http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/platinum-tools/crimpers/16801.htm

Will crimp .156 trifurcon for sure.. it's what I used to do my STTNG's GI connectors. Hits insulator and conductor at same time.

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/platinum-tools/crimpers/16801.htm
    Will crimp .156 trifurcon for sure.. it's what I used to do my STTNG's GI connectors. Hits insulator and conductor at same time.

These are the best to use IMO. I've used them for my pins, but I also build reproduction Nintendo Donkey Kong harnesses. Got well over 10,000 pins crimped and they still work like new. They crimp both the wire and jacket at the same time which is a time saver. - Barry

#12 11 years ago

It's threads like this that remind me... Just because the GI has been re-worked, doesn't mean it works

I hate seeing hacked bullshit and then having to fix an issue that is 10 times worse that it should have been. Just do it right the first time.

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from audihere:

Congratulations billybob, you're CAPSB#1.

Classic!

#14 11 years ago

I've had a few crimpers through the years, in my opinion the best and only crimper to buy is the Molex #63811-1000. Cheaper crimpers are just noth worth buying, when tightening they'll rotate the socket and don't apply even pressure.

Molex_#63811-1000.jpgMolex_#63811-1000.jpg

#15 11 years ago

False economic theory

By using improper tools, you will likely end up redoing the job again, which takes more parts and time.

In the long run, you'll be better off doing it once - right!

#16 11 years ago

Also, I hope you replaced the header on the board, too. You need to do both.

#17 11 years ago

My tech just bought a pro series crimper with a whole set of dies and accessories. The crimper "locks" on to the male connector so you don't have to worry about it falling out while you get the wire ready to crimp. It crimps both sides in one operation. He bought it at a pawn shop for cheap.

#18 11 years ago

If you could afford a computer to make that post, and you could afford a pinball machine in the first place, you can afford the crimps.

#19 11 years ago

I just went through a Bally rectifier board set of connectors that someone in the past didn't use a proper crimping tool. The connector pins were the trifurcon, but the crimps were crap and dangerous. The poor connection at the crimps caused heat build up, burned up a connector and could have caused a fire.

When removing the pins from the connector housing, the wires easily pulled out of the connector less the pin.

Going the direction of attempting to crimp without a proper tool -- you likely will make the connector problem worse, dangerous and maybe burn your house down to avoid the expense of a crimping tool.

Always use the proper tool for the job. If it doesn't fit, use a bigger hammer.

#20 11 years ago

So now what?

You can look at your broken machine for a long time and long for the day when it used to work. Or you can spend $30, buy the proper tool and fix it right. Rock on Billybob.

Or, if it's a really awesome machine, you can sell it to me at a discount price cuz its "broken".

P.s. I appreciate the fact that you don't plan on recrimping much. But if you own 9 machines, you should understand that your pins may have other plans. Good luck!

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from examiner:

So now what?
    You can look at your broken machine for a long time and long for the day when it used to work. Or you can spend $30, buy the proper tool and fix it right. Rock on Billybob.
    Or, if it's a really awesome machine, you can sell it to me at a discount price cuz its "broken".
    P.s. I appreciate the fact that you don't plan on recrimping much. But if you own 9 machines, you should understand that your pins may have other plans. Good luck!

A good crimper is the same as a good iron, if you are going to be in the hobby you will need one and need to learn how to use it.
    You will also need to learn how to replace the male pins on the board at the same time if you want it to stay fixed.
    Order the 20 pin males and housings and cut to length.

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from examiner:

your pins may have other plans.

They do, they do...

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/im-too-cheap-to-buy-a-molex-crimping-tool-so-now-what and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.