• Latest reply 10 years ago by BC_Gambit
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1992.JPG
#1 10 years ago

Recently picked up an IM and noticed how much the left whiplash target likes to move to the right (see pic). The Palantir target on LOTR has a similar issue but moves to the left IIRC. I've talked to other LOTR/IM owners and it seems to be a common problem that everyone deals with (just pushing it right/left every so often). Not a big deal, but with IM, mine moves far right after just a few plays it seems. I removed the target and tried tightening all the screws, but didn't make a difference.

Any mods that help with this issue? For example, someone sells reinforced targets for TZ that work great...

IMG_1992.JPGIMG_1992.JPG

#2 10 years ago

My LOTR and IM do the same thing as well--I would be interested in a more lasting fix too.

#3 10 years ago

Another target that would really benefit from a solution is the "U" target to the left of the Quorra shot. The "U" movement on TRON makes the Quorra shot much more difficult (an already tight shot).

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Recently picked up an IM and noticed how much the left whiplash target likes to move to the right (see pic). The Palantir target on LOTR has a similar issue but moves to the left IIRC. I've talked to other LOTR/IM owners and it seems to be a common problem that everyone deals with (just pushing it right/left every so often). Not a big deal, but with IM, mine moves far right after just a few plays it seems. I removed the target and tried tightening all the screws, but didn't make a difference.
Any mods that help with this issue? For example, someone sells reinforced targets for TZ that work great...

And here I thought it was just my machine, good to know I am not the only one.

#5 10 years ago

To me this just seems "normal". i.e. The game may as well have shipped from the factory with the target crooked here and on the palantir on LoTR.

If someone does come out with a reinforced Stern standup bracket that will be interesting; I also would not mind easily replacable tops for the exposed magnet cores. What the heck, can't hurt to throw that idea out there.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

To me this just seems "normal". i.e. The game may as well have shipped from the factory with the target crooked here and on the palantir on LoTR.

The problem is how fast it moves and does it effect play? For TRON, it definitely effects play...makes a hard shot even harder. If the target moves really slowly, not such a big deal (just move it back the next time the glass is off to clean or tweak something). If it moves quickly, and you need to remove the glass often for only this reason, it becomes a maintenance issue...

Not a huge deal, but after installing the industrial strength TZ clock/slot targets, made me think it would be nice to have a Stern mod for a similar problem...

#7 10 years ago

I have the same problem as I own both machines. My bigger concern with the "U" target on Tron is that it leaves the edge of the ramp exposed more, which, while unlikely, could mean that the ball could strike it just right and crack it.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from NickBuffaloPinball:

I have the same problem as I own both machines. My bigger concern with the "U" target on Tron is that it leaves the edge of the ramp exposed more, which, while unlikely, could mean that the ball could strike it just right and crack it.

Interesting point. I have ramp protectors, so it isn't a problem for me.

#9 10 years ago

I have also seen something similar happen with some if the targets in the AC/DC lower playfield.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from NickBuffaloPinball:

So I just tried a simple solution. I removed the "U" switch, added a couple drops of "super glue" between the switch and the metal/front bracket to keep it from shifting. Seems really solid now...played a few games with 0 movement. Time will tell, but if this works it seems like a solution that will apply to all the other targets.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

So I just tried a simple solution. I removed the "U" switch, added a couple drops of "super glue" between the switch and the metal/front bracket to keep it from shifting. Seems really solid now...played a few games with 0 movement. Time will tell, but if this works it seems like a solution that will apply to all the other targets.

Cool; I am curious how durable this will be (I was mentally fabricating reinforcing pieces of metal... I honestly would not have thought of somthing this awesomely doable).

I like the simple fixes much better than manufacturing precision parts with my relatively limited tools

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 46.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 87.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/im-tech-whiplash-target-movement and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.