(Topic ID: 209717)

Taking my girls resto-mizing a Bad Cats playfield by hand: now on national TV!?!

By goingincirclez

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 78 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by stef34
  • Topic is favorited by 26 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Interview (resized).jpg
BC_Card2 (resized).png
BC_Card1 (resized).png
20180630_012810 (resized).jpg
20180630_012807 (resized).jpg
20180630_012806 (resized).jpg
20180607_231324 (resized).jpg
20180607_231311 (resized).jpg
found (resized).jpg
20180607_231155 (resized).jpg
Wagner890 (resized).jpg
20180528_195018 copy (resized).jpg
20180528_194947 copy (resized).jpg
20180528_195008 copy (resized).jpg
20180527_212141 copy (resized).jpg
20180527_162406 copy (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider northerndude.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#47 5 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

Thanks... it's been a lot of slow steady fun. The girls and I don't seem to get breaks all at the same time often, but I'm so gratified when I ask "OK who's ready to help with X" and they're always willing without hesitation
~~~
So yesterday, while the locking coat on the decals cured, 13 and I decaled the cabinet! Well, the sides anyway. A friend's Festool sander made quick work of cabinet prep, which I did first. Then 13 and I used the "wet method" and I have to say it went pretty smoothly.
But after this I will NEVER buy from ClassicArcades ever again.
I already expressed my "disappointing but tolerable" verdict on the color. But I am so glad my desire for instant gratification paid off for once.
See, for the cabinet sides, CA prints registration marks that supposedly key the decals to the corners of the wood, allowing an inch or so of excess around the perimeter. If you lay them on there, they align perfectly. Which would be great if the ART lined up properly!
Insta-Grat had me lay the siderails on "just to see how they'll look eventually" and when the decals were aligned to the marks, and the rails put on, the cat's ear and tail were covered!

In the photo, look at the marks on the white edge, and how far I had to move the decal to clear the side rail. Not expecting this, I'd already trimmed the rear edge at this point so realignment to avoid exposed wood was made tricky.
The left side was just as bad:

Yeah. While this is an easy fix, it would have been a total disaster if I had:
- trimmed the decals straight to the marked edges
- not mocked them with the siderails before application and let them dry...
As for the fix, the nice thing is the exposed area IS in fact hidden by the siderails, except the very leading edge where they curve by the flipper buttons. The proper fix is then to carefully trim the excess decal off the bottom of the cabinet, and then lay this strip over the exposed area on the top and trim again. When you install the siderails, they cover the seam so you'll never notice:

As you can see, the front panel and overall reassembly still remains....

Following!

Couple things..... nice to see the kids getting into it! I have a 13 and a 14 boys. I asked the 14 earlier this winter about jumping into and assisting my Fish Tales refurb, he said "no thanks", I was definitely a little disappointed in that.
Go buy an inexpensive random orbital sander, they are 35-40 NIB, they are great to have on hand
I'm following this for sure to learn the do's and do nots as i'm just behind you in my work.

2 weeks later
#51 5 years ago

Nice!! I am wavering between buying a sprayer for at least my cabinet, but already have 4 cans SprayMax2K for my Playfield

Question - Did you leave under the PF populated? or did you have it totally stripped already?

#56 5 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

This is my third pf restore with the bottom populated as much as possible to avoid undue hassle. You will want to unscrew the slings, targets, and other mechs that are prone of the pf, and let them gently dangle (or tie them to other mechs) below. Plug bulb holes with earplugs, plug rollover slots with folded business cards, and block other holes with tape. Easy!
I've done one with everything below completely depopulated simply by forced necessity due to how horrible it all was as found. It's more than a lot of work.
I used SprayMax 2K and loved the quality of the product and the final coat, but hated the toxicity and prep required.

Thanks, I have mine all populated still, I used velcro tie wraps that keep everything up right below. I also had planned on using old incandescents for all the bulb holes. And sliding “other” items for the other holes. This will be my first play field clear, nervous, but will follow what others have done as close as I can. I’m awaiting some naphtha on order so I can do a proper PF clean

9 months later
#71 5 years ago

Awesome, congrats on having the time spent with your children. It will be something they cherish well into adulthood.

I've tried to get my boys, 14,15 to participate but to no avail.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 49.00
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 49.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.99
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Wilkes-barre, PA
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider northerndude.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/im-taking-my-kids-down-with-me-by-resurrecting-bad-cats?tu=northerndude and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.