(Topic ID: 209717)

Taking my girls resto-mizing a Bad Cats playfield by hand: now on national TV!?!

By goingincirclez

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 77 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 72 days ago by kklank
  • Topic is favorited by 26 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 98 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Interview (resized).jpg
BC_Card2 (resized).png
BC_Card1 (resized).png
20180630_012810 (resized).jpg
20180630_012807 (resized).jpg
20180630_012806 (resized).jpg
20180607_231324 (resized).jpg
20180607_231311 (resized).jpg
found (resized).jpg
20180607_231155 (resized).jpg
Wagner890 (resized).jpg
20180528_195018 copy (resized).jpg
20180528_194947 copy (resized).jpg
20180528_195008 copy (resized).jpg
20180527_212141 copy (resized).jpg
20180527_162406 copy (resized).jpg

There are 77 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 11 months ago

Nice!! I am wavering between buying a sprayer for at least my cabinet, but already have 4 cans SprayMax2K for my Playfield

Question - Did you leave under the PF populated? or did you have it totally stripped already?

#52 11 months ago

Your thread, family, and hard work brought a lot of smiles today when I shared with my family..
They wanted me to send their thanks!

Awesome!

#53 11 months ago

Great work! I'd be proud of that playfield!

#54 11 months ago
Quoted from northerndude:

Did you leave under the PF populated? or did you have it totally stripped already?

This is my third pf restore with the bottom populated as much as possible to avoid undue hassle. You will want to unscrew the slings, targets, and other mechs that are prone of the pf, and let them gently dangle (or tie them to other mechs) below. Plug bulb holes with earplugs, plug rollover slots with folded business cards, and block other holes with tape. Easy!

I've done one with everything below completely depopulated simply by forced necessity due to how horrible it all was as found. It's more than a lot of work.

I used SprayMax 2K and loved the quality of the product and the final coat, but hated the toxicity and prep required.

Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Your thread, family, and hard work brought a lot of smiles today when I shared with my family..
They wanted me to send their thanks!

Aww, thanks Art. That actually means a lot. Don't know if you'd recall in October 2014, cold-calling a newbie from KY who'd just placed a confusing LED order on his first pin (Space Shuttle)... but that was me

#55 11 months ago

I remember....Good to see the "bug" has consumed you too!

I do miss helping people.....

Not only a great job, but a lifetime of memories your kids will cherish!

#56 11 months ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

This is my third pf restore with the bottom populated as much as possible to avoid undue hassle. You will want to unscrew the slings, targets, and other mechs that are prone of the pf, and let them gently dangle (or tie them to other mechs) below. Plug bulb holes with earplugs, plug rollover slots with folded business cards, and block other holes with tape. Easy!
I've done one with everything below completely depopulated simply by forced necessity due to how horrible it all was as found. It's more than a lot of work.
I used SprayMax 2K and loved the quality of the product and the final coat, but hated the toxicity and prep required.

Thanks, I have mine all populated still, I used velcro tie wraps that keep everything up right below. I also had planned on using old incandescents for all the bulb holes. And sliding “other” items for the other holes. This will be my first play field clear, nervous, but will follow what others have done as close as I can. I’m awaiting some naphtha on order so I can do a proper PF clean

#57 11 months ago
Quoted from northerndude:

I also had planned on using old incandescents for all the bulb holes.

I thought of using bulbs too, but didn't because I was worried that if they got sealed into the socket somehow and became difficult to remove, the glass might shatter which is never fun. I've had "stubborn old bulbs" separate from the metal base leaving the base in the socket without the assistance of glue/clear, so I didn't want to push my luck.

ALSO bulbs can block and "shadow" your spray...

Nevermind that brushing and rolling are not options at all with bulbs in the way

If an earplug gets sealed in or stuck, all you need to do is pull it with a pick or drill it out, then clean the socket with a file. No glass shards or stubborn bases to worry about.

1 week later
#58 11 months ago

Well, stupid balky seafood wheel aside, it's the meowment of truth...!

#59 11 months ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

MAYBE we'll get to play in June...

...And you did....

#60 11 months ago

Looks nice. I liked how you included your family with the restoration. What is the next game up for restoration at your household?

#61 11 months ago
Quoted from DropTarget:

...And you did....

Ha, would you look at that! I'm glad someone else (other than my wife) was willing to hold me accountable to myself...

Quoted from Tommy-dog:

Looks nice. I liked how you included your family with the restoration. What is the next game up for restoration at your household?

Thank you. Pretty happy with how this turned out. The only problems with it now are the seafood wheel (which I think/hope may be a bad LM339 voltage comparitor on the controller), and the fishbowl ramp is heavily worn / repaired but holding together. The backglass also has some scratching and peeling, but a PO used masking tape to hold flakes on so there's no way that won't turn into a worse disaster during a repair attempt; thankfully (surprisingly), it's not as noticeable as you might expect. So since a new backglass and ramp set would be another $400-500 between them, they will have to wait.

Next on deck is my ElDohRahNo barn auction refugee which turned out to be in horrific condition and should have been parted and burned. But against better odds and sense, I got the blasted thing in more-or-less 100% functional shape! The playfield is an absolute wreck but after this Bad Cats, I think it might be easy. After letting it sit for most of a year with no better swap options having turned up, it's time to get it cleaned, painted, and playable. I put the pf on the rotisserie yesterday... https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-275-el-doh-rah-no

Wood damage notwithstanding, the art is primarily large panels of solid colors so it should mostly be a simple frisket & airbrush job... I'm thinking I might let the girls try their hands on that.

Afterward I have a Time Fantasy in need of some TLC; 10 has already said she wants to paint the rainbow on it

~~~~~~~~~~~~

So here's a few static pics, requisite before and after, yadda yadda. It's weird to see how fast this game is with the shiny smooth clear. I've played two other BC's and neither were so blistering!

found (resized).jpg

20180607_231324 (resized).jpg

20180607_231311 (resized).jpg

20180607_231155 (resized).jpg

#62 11 months ago

Man I never thought that game would turn out that well when you left my house with it. Good work!!

#63 11 months ago

Well done Tony! Thanks for documenting your work. You guys did a great job.

#64 11 months ago

Beyond amazing and kudos to having kids with the patience to see the project through!

#65 11 months ago
Quoted from jmountjoy111:

Man I never thought that game would turn out that well when you left my house with it. Good work!!

To be honest, I didn't think it would either... So thanks! Man, I wish I had fodder for that TZ you have on the block but I guess it's not that beat lol

Quoted from LouMatt:

Well done Tony! Thanks for documenting your work. You guys did a great job.

Thanks Matt! 10 has already said she wants to bring it to Lou Expo next year... Can you tell she's a bit proud

#66 11 months ago

Nice job, way to stay on it. I wish my kids would be involved in my projects. Best I can get is some help lifting when I need it.

#67 11 months ago

Really, really great thread. Nice work by a fellow Kentuckian!

#68 11 months ago

Been following and it’s been fun to watch the evolution of this project. What a fun group effort- tell your kids there are a whole bunch of impressed people out there and they did an amazing job. The playfield looks amazing, I hope they enjoy the game play as much as it seems they enjoyed restoring the game.

Awesome Job, congratulations.

2 weeks later
#69 10 months ago

Just a follow-up, the Seafood Wheel now works! Had to replace the motor and rebuild the controller...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stepper-motor-woes-getting-stuck-every-5th-pulse

...but it's nice to see our colored koi spinning at last!

Also customized the display messages:

20180630_012806 (resized).jpg

20180630_012807 (resized).jpg

20180630_012810 (resized).jpg

Only thing really left is to rebuild the power supply. Yeah, probably should have done that first but it was like the only original board in the game that actually worked so... ha ha. But 10 wants to do it so, there she goes once we have time

Also made the custom apron cards. The QR code will take people to this thread

BC_Card2 (resized).png

BC_Card1 (resized).png

8 months later
#70 74 days ago

A quick epilogue:

The girls wanted to bring this to Louisville Arcade Expo this year - specifically telling me they wanted to see if it could win "best pinball". I told them it would be a long shot but OK, sure... let's sacrifice the heirloom ha ha. But it put me on the spot to make sure the seafood wheel and my custom/rebuilt linear target would be up to snuff. Along with that acid-ridden MPU and balky display as weak spots.

Well I'm pleased to say that over three+ straight days of public play, the game help up wonderfully! Seafood mech never failed (the wheel worked off the spindle once which was easy to fix, but the motor and controller were fine). My upcycled linear target face stayed rock solid. MPU repairs held up for 3 straight days. Only issue was a 3-bank opto vibrated loose Saturday night but the game comped that and stayed properly playable. Haven't checked audits yet but this show is typically good for ~700+ plays. Awesome!

As for best pinball, I heard whisperings ours was in contention but ultimately a super-pimped Funhouse (fog machines, lasers, firehouse bell, etc) was not going to be beaten. BUT that machine didn't make the local news like ours did! The girls and I were interviewed.

Interview (resized).jpg

You can see it here: https://www.wlky.com/article/arcade-expo-gives-parents-kids-a-chance-to-bond-over-classic-games/26610282

(And the "dozens of attendees" thing is maybe true before opening during church time and a snowstorm, ha ha... I assure you the show was right properly packed with many multiple hundreds most of the time, and you can hardly move much of Frdiay evening and Saturday...)

Ultimately we did get to taste an award, as the EM I brought (Williams Expo, 1969) won best in class. So maybe we couldn't win twice, who knows. But the whole experience will forever be gratifying.

Next up for me and them: Time Fantasy

#71 74 days ago

Awesome, congrats on having the time spent with your children. It will be something they cherish well into adulthood.

I've tried to get my boys, 14,15 to participate but to no avail.

#72 72 days ago

Your Bad Cats turned out great, wish I could get my boys to help me out (I could get them cleaned up faster) but so far all I can get them to do is help me carry them into the house and screw the legs on, then they pretty much walk away.

#73 72 days ago

Thanks guys. Yes, this experience will forever be gratifying and something we can remember and cherish every time we see the machine. I am very fortunate. My kids of course don't consider "pinball" to be "their hobby" and sometimes they can be downright ambivalent about it. But they do enjoy playing their favorites and new titles and consider it fun when the mood is right. And they still want to help me on the next game, I'm bouncing ideas on. 14yo wants to do a custom playfield but sadly that's a bit out on the horizon right now... wish I could pull that forward while she has the time. Either way, I'm lucky. It's nice to have reminders.

FWIW, our interview was syndicated nationally, and has aired on several TV stations. I only discovered this when Skynet News dropped a link into my feed that seemed oddly familiar.

https://www.watchstitch.com/article/its-the-nostalgia-arcade-expo-gives-parents-kids-chance-to-bond-over-classic-games/26743074

#74 72 days ago

That's awesome. You might want to grab a copy of that video before it's gone.

Congratulations!

#75 72 days ago

Bravo, bravo! Despite your girls ambivalent attitude they probably know more about PB restoration than 60% of all pinsiders. Not many kids (or other people) know how or even care to fix things. It might become a bit more of an ambition.

You are fortunate in any case, most kids don't want much to do with their parents.

#76 72 days ago
Quoted from Platypus:

they probably know more about PB restoration than 60% of all pinsiders. Not many kids (or other people) know how or even care to fix things.

Actually that reminds me, they did make me proud. During LAX my oldest came to me and mentioned how she observed a pin or two acting up (stuck coils, etc) and turned them off. At another point, some friends with a large collection on hand were servicing games before open and both girls went to work shopping out and replacing rubbers... how many 11 year old girls can say they laid hands on servicing a 1-of-100 Primus?! So yes, it seems it's sinking in, and they enjoy it and don't mind to give back. Makes me proud all the time

#77 72 days ago

Awesome work!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.95
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
There are 77 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside